Forum Jump: 

post #7471 of 12361 Old 01-23-2014, 10:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjchyzy View Post

Still debating buying one. Is everyone happy with the luminance levels (brightness) of the ZT ? I dont expect it to be like led but I've hear people on other forums complaining that it's not bright enough compared to the samsung plasma. Any input? Thanks

I've got one of the brightest viewing rooms you'll ever see. In midday sun I need to close the blinds. Only an LCD would power over that sun. For the other 90% of times it's fine in THX cinema. I don't use any of the bright room settings due to the degradation of picture quality.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7472 of 12361 Old 01-23-2014, 10:09 AM

Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post

Hey, shout out to Colnago and David,
Thank you for the very important info.
I'm definitely going to hard wire this thing. 

Whatever works best..."keep it simple, when possible".

But FWIW, the ZT should have more than enough "WiFi" throughput, on 5gHz wireless to stream highest quality content from whichever provider. My wireless "G" is getting 58/38
post #7473 of 12361 Old 01-23-2014, 10:12 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1002
Quote:
Originally Posted by colnago View Post

Whatever works best..."keep it simple, when possible".

But FWIW, the ZT should have more than enough "WiFi" throughput, on 5gHz wireless to stream highest quality content from whichever provider. My wireless "G" is getting 58/38
Exactly.
post #7474 of 12361 Old 01-23-2014, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playdrv4me View Post

Ok, so that answers the question then. It's not ADDITIONAL technological advancement over something like the Kuro or ST in terms of improving the picture itself, but rather for the aesthetic purpose of giving it the "single-pane" look. Although technically, I would make my own counter-argument and say this does have a picture benefit because in the ZT (not the VT, it makes things WORSE there because you have extra unnecessary reflectivity at the cost of looking pretty) because it gives the picture that "jumping off the screen" look that the ZT excels at. This is bar-none my single favorite aspect of the ZT, as a matter of fact.
As above, I would actually argue (do we ever agree tongue.gif ) that the picture still pops better overall because of this cool (mostly aesthetic) design innovation.
Not to mention the fact that even WITH all that additional potential engineering work and cost, it resulted in more potential problems in he long run for the ZT (i.e. micro-fractures). Rather a case of the old "More sh*t to break" adage, it would seem.

We agree totally here. Extra engineering adds complexity and more places for quality control issues to develop. BUT, the totally flat, flush glass looks super whether the panel is on or off. I think Panny erred in making the VT two layers with an air gap. I didn't understand what they were doing until I spent a good while looking at both sets next to each other at BB. That's what caused me to reach in for a few more $'s to get the ZT. I suppose I'd take the ZT picture as it is with a non-flush bezel and save money if given the choice, but that wasn't offered. So fingers crossed for no issues popping up.

post #7475 of 12361 Old 01-23-2014, 10:19 AM

Liked: 10

Thanks from a longtime AV geek fairly new to the streaming universe.

BTW, I highly recommend Lilyhammer on Netflix (their first self-production before House of Cards).

It's a great show on it's own, but absolutely essential for Sopranos fans. 

Two seasons to watch with the third in production. 

post #7476 of 12361 Old 01-23-2014, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 83
I don't understand all this dim picture nonsense. None of my TVs. Not my F4500, F8500, 141 or ZT60 have EVER given me the impression of being "too dim" for anything. Short of having ZERO blinds and just completely naked windows the places these TVs have been in at the times I've had each one have been pretty damned bright. The 141 has one window behind and to the left, and another window on the opposing wall to the right. My brother's place is a simple studio SURROUNDED by windows with simple blinds. I don't have his F8500 cranked to the ridiculous levels the F8500 even goes to, or even close. All look fine and completely watchable to me.
Mr Paw and agkss like this.
post #7477 of 12361 Old 01-23-2014, 10:24 AM

Quote:

Thanks from a longtime AV geek fairly new to the streaming universe.

BTW, I highly recommend Lilyhammer on Netflix (their first self-production before House of Cards).

Similar here. Technogeek but with old school equipment until recently. Totally new to streaming. The ZT is great to watch House of Cards with. They do all kinds of interesting soft focus and filter work with their cameras that the ZT shows off. I found myself analyzing the shooting as much as following the plot because I could see so much detail and know it was put there by the cinematographer and not the TV adding its idiosyncrasies.

post #7478 of 12361 Old 01-23-2014, 10:38 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillspace View PostFan speed should still be tweakable by changing the temperature ranges that it will ramp up at and/or regulating the voltage to the fan via software.

Very good point, I wish they would decrease the fan speed! When it turns slowly you can't hear it?  Also I think that when mounted on the wall the noise is higher!

I have been using 16:9 Pixar movies like UP, Tangled, Toy Story 3, and others like Madagascar to break in the TV running on repeat the picture is mesmerizing :)

post #7479 of 12361 Old 01-23-2014, 10:41 AM

Quote:

...BTW, I highly recommend Lilyhammer on Netflix (their first self-production before House of Cards).

Still saving up to drive a Ferrari across "the bridge".

wink.gif
post #7480 of 12361 Old 01-23-2014, 10:43 AM

I've owned a Pantera since I was 23.

NO WAY I'm driving it on that bridge. HA!

That show defines LOL.

Fuggitaboutit. 

post #7481 of 12361 Old 01-23-2014, 10:46 AM

Quote:

I don't understand all this dim picture nonsense. None of my TVs. Not my F4500, F8500, 141 or ZT60 have EVER given me the impression of being "too dim" for anything. Short of having ZERO blinds and just completely naked windows the places these TVs have been in at the times I've had each one have been pretty damned bright. The 141 has one window behind and to the left, and another window on the opposing wall to the right. My brother's place is a simple studio SURROUNDED by windows with simple blinds. I don't have his F8500 cranked to the ridiculous levels the F8500 even goes to, or even close. All look fine and completely watchable to me.

I've been a long time 700U owner, self "tweaked" via service menu (and still fiddle with it to this day), who watches everything in "Cinema" mode, when I first got the ZT broken in, while flipping thru the preset picture modes, I can see how someone may say that "Standard", and maybe another mode, could be too "dim"...at least on "my" set, even after raising the Contrast/gamma levels by a fair amount. Especially with my Roku 3 via HDMI...had to use "Native" color gamut to make all content "viewable".

As always, YMMV.
post #7482 of 12361 Old 01-23-2014, 10:48 AM

I've been saving some nice content to try on the ZT. 

I hear you on the cinematography in HoC.

The way they match the couple's dark thoughts and discussions with dark scenes is spectacular. 

More so, no doubt, when I see them with the black levels of the ZT.

I'll have it in place and partially "burned in" for the Superbowl. 

No one spends more on production. 

Should be a good game and some spectacular eye candy. 

post #7483 of 12361 Old 01-23-2014, 10:49 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Very good point, I wish they would decrease the fan speed! When it turns slowly you can't hear it?  Also I think that when mounted on the wall the noise is higher!

I posted in the VT60/ZT60 fan noise/fridge noise thread about the fan noise being amplified when wall mounted even with later builds or displays that had the fan fix. When my display wasn't mounted, the fan noise was non-existent. Once mounted and running for a few hours the fan speed would ramp up and get a bit louder.

To summarize what I posted in the other thread, I went and purchased acoustic foam and my preliminary testing, putting the foam behind the TV doesn't completely get rid of the noise but smooths it out and makes it a bit quieter. The smoothing of the noise makes it less noticeable is what I'm getting at. I still have to test this over a longer term, though.

Eric

My Stuff: Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 w/  Ideal-Lume Bias Lighting, Yamaha RX-V3800, Oppo BDP-103D

post #7484 of 12361 Old 01-23-2014, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colnago View Post

I've been a long time 700U owner, self "tweaked" via service menu (and still fiddle with it to this day), who watches everything in "Cinema" mode, when I first got the ZT broken in, while flipping thru the preset picture modes, I can see how someone may say that "Standard", and maybe another mode, could be too "dim"...at least on "my" set, even after raising the Contrast/gamma levels by a fair amount. Especially with my Roku 3 via HDMI...had to use "Native" color gamut to make all content "viewable".

As always, YMMV.

I would agree that the "standard" picture is a throw away, and no one should waste their time with it. Why they included it in the menu is anyone's guess. Probably less than 1% of the owners will use it. All the others have uses and can be tweaked nine ways from Sunday. So if some poor guy had the misfortune of seeing a VT or ZT on the stock standard setting for the first and only time, he might walk away wondering what all the plasma fuss is about and buy an LCD.

post #7485 of 12361 Old 01-23-2014, 11:10 AM

Liked: 24
My set is coming tommorrow. ...what should I be looking for upon delivery...obviously check power....screen.....anything else I should be looking for...stuck pixels????

Thanks
post #7486 of 12361 Old 01-23-2014, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidW1820 View Post

I would agree that the "standard" picture is a throw away, and no one should waste their time with it. Why they included it in the menu is anyone's guess. Probably less than 1% of the owners will use it. All the others have uses and can be tweaked nine ways from Sunday. So if some poor guy had the misfortune of seeing a VT or ZT on the stock standard setting for the first and only time, he might walk away wondering what all the plasma fuss is about and buy an LCD.
That is unless he uses the "standard trick". I use it during sunny days because my room is so bright. It gives the brightness of vivid with great gama, lots of pop etc.
post #7487 of 12361 Old 01-23-2014, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

Agreed, even watching dark scenes during the day when there's ambient outside light, I don't think of this tv as "dark".
post #7488 of 12361 Old 01-23-2014, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amercnchopz34 View Post

My set is coming tommorrow. ...what should I be looking for upon delivery...obviously check power....screen.....anything else I should be looking for...stuck pixels????

Thanks

Build date?
Possible micro fractures around the screen edges?
You can look for stuck pixels but that will be after you power it on of course...everything else can be seen/looked at with the tv not plugged in.
post #7489 of 12361 Old 01-23-2014, 11:28 AM

I just went home and met the delivery guy with my new 65ZT60! The bad news is that I have a meeting in 30 minutes and, thus, had to hurry back to work. The good news is that I had time to open the box before he left, and I did not notice any physical defects or problems with the TV. I also noticed that the build date is October 2013. I'll have to see later tonight or tomorrow if the fan noise still bothers me. Can't wait to get this baby up and running. biggrin.gif
repete66211 likes this.

Panasonic TC-P65T60
Oppo BDP-103D
Pioneer VSX-1120-K
Monitor Audio RS6 Silver F, R, C, Surrounds
HSU VTF-1 MK2
PS3
CinemaQuest Ideal-Lume
Harmony Remote
post #7490 of 12361 Old 01-23-2014, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVKIK View Post

That is unless he uses the "standard trick". I use it during sunny days because my room is so bright. It gives the brightness of vivid with great gama, lots of pop etc.

And what might this "standard" trick be or were you being facetious? The standard we were referring to is the darkest mode on the VT/ZT menu and most agree it is too dark unless you're a cave-dwelling albino.

post #7491 of 12361 Old 01-23-2014, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 86
posted this in the DEALS thread but thought folks might here might want to see:

This was just posted on CNET by David Katzmaier January 22, 2014 1:11 PM PST - Six big screens for the big game!

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57617617-221/six-big-screens-for-the-big-game/

what I found interesting was this - maybe David knows something we don't - he is in the NY area

"Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 (65-inch plasma, $3,199) The S60, ST60, and VT60 are nearly sold out in this size, but happily the ZT60's clearance price (Best Buy quoted above) is as low as it's ever been. If you've got the cash and a room that's not super-bright, it's our strongest recommendation on this list. And yes, it's still the very best TV for picture quality we've ever reviewed."

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 - Oppo BDP-103D - Panasonic DMP-BDT220 - Toshiba HD-DVD-3A - OPPO DV-981HD - Harmony 880
Onkyo TX-NR809 --- Definitive Technology - Studio Monitor 65 (2) - CS8040HD - Studio Monitor 45 (2) - Super Cube 6000
post #7492 of 12361 Old 01-23-2014, 12:19 PM

Really nothing I can do about build date. ...i guess I get what I get....not many left.....

Thanks again
post #7493 of 12361 Old 01-23-2014, 12:21 PM

Where did u get yours from??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonChad View Post

I just went home and met the delivery guy with my new 65ZT60! The bad news is that I have a meeting in 30 minutes and, thus, had to hurry back to work. The good news is that I had time to open the box before he left, and I did not notice any physical defects or problems with the TV. I also noticed that the build date is October 2013. I'll have to see later tonight or tomorrow if the fan noise still bothers me. Can't wait to get this baby up and running. biggrin.gif
post #7494 of 12361 Old 01-23-2014, 12:32 PM

Quote:

Where did u get yours from??

I ended up going with Value Electronics. Great pricing and reputable folks.

Panasonic TC-P65T60
Oppo BDP-103D
Pioneer VSX-1120-K
Monitor Audio RS6 Silver F, R, C, Surrounds
HSU VTF-1 MK2
PS3
CinemaQuest Ideal-Lume
Harmony Remote
post #7495 of 12361 Old 01-23-2014, 12:32 PM

For audio sync issues with outboard audio systems...
I had this problem with my new ZT60, and I found no solution from Panasonic. The audio from the optical output from the TV was clearly ahead of the picture. I was told that many Yamaha audio systems have an audio delay capability, and I met a few people who have taken that course. I didn't want anything that large. After lots of searching on line, I found a product overseas that works great:

J.S. Technology in the UK makes a small box that allows adjustment of digital audio delay with optical in/out. Called them on the phone. Price (including mailing) was 79 pounds - about $120 (?). You'll need a 9vdc, 100mw power supply (center positive). Put it in line today and found I needed just about 100ms delay for perfect audio/picture sync. I just leave it on, though it it will remember its last setting if you want to turn it off. Perfect solution for me. email them at sales@js-technology.com
post #7496 of 12361 Old 01-23-2014, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonChad View Post

I ended up going with Value Electronics. Great pricing and reputable folks.

I hope I get a later build date as well......
post #7497 of 12361 Old 01-23-2014, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Really nothing I can do about build date. ...i guess I get what I get....not many left.....

Thanks again

There's plenty you can do, but it would take time and effort. Your call!
post #7498 of 12361 Old 01-23-2014, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAReef View Post

For audio sync issues with outboard audio systems...
I had this problem with my new ZT60, and I found no solution from Panasonic. The audio from the optical output from the TV was clearly ahead of the picture...

I have the opposite problem...audio is "behind" the picture when using external optical DAC, connecting to receiver via analog RCA.
post #7499 of 12361 Old 01-23-2014, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillspace View Post

Fan speed should still be tweakable by changing the temperature ranges that it will ramp up at and/or regulating the voltage to the fan via software.
My fans are always on and the only time I've noticed a change in speed is when I enter the service menu. I'm not saying they don't (or couldn't) vary the speed, just that I've never noticed it happening. Then again the only time I can hear them is when I'm on mute, so the point is...moot.

post #7500 of 12361 Old 01-23-2014, 02:49 PM

Liked: 17

Along the sync lines...I had a Sony sound bar hooked up to the ZT via ARC HDMI and all worked very well.  I could use my Directv remote to control the ZT audio volume of the Directv receiver, as well as the BD player I had hooked up to the ZT, via HDMI.  Question is, if I get a sound bar that uses only optical input, will I have that same control, using the Directv remote?  Hope I'm explaining this correctly.

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65zt60 65 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60zt60 60 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page