Forum Jump: 

post #7561 of 12376 Old 01-24-2014, 08:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantagesc View Post

Zip ties using the vent holes. Use the bottom most holes on the higher vents so as to not block any air flow. You use one zip tie around the hole to make sort of a loop. And then another zip tie to hang the lamp off of that loop. I suppose you could only use one zip tie per side but I didn't want to block any of the vent. Here's a pic from my pz85u. 8ahujyge.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome. Thanks for the pic! I may go with that one given the positive reviews it has received.

Panasonic TC-P65T60
Oppo BDP-103D
Pioneer VSX-1120-K
Monitor Audio RS6 Silver F, R, C, Surrounds
HSU VTF-1 MK2
PS3
CinemaQuest Ideal-Lume
Harmony Remote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7562 of 12376 Old 01-24-2014, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by verb8im View Post

My set should arrive Monday from BB. Is there anyone who can measure the distance between the two wall hanger mounts on the back of the 60" ZT, please? I am wondering if my 55" Sanus mount needs to be replaced or if the hanger arms for the new set will fit in there okay. The mount is overly attached to the wall and I'd like to use it if at all possible. TIA

Per the manual, 19.7" between the screws side to side and 11.8" between the screws top to bottom. Pay attention to screw depth. Manual notes the minimum is .67" and maximum is .97".
verb8im likes this.
post #7563 of 12376 Old 01-24-2014, 08:53 AM

Liked: 11

Thanks - I just measured my PZ800U and the length between the hanger arms is a little over 27" across. So if the length between the arms shortens...I suppose the existing mount will work, right? Does anyone see any possible issues there?

This is my current wall mount: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00020M1U0/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

post #7564 of 12376 Old 01-24-2014, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by repete66211 View Post

If you lose money on every unit sold selling more units just means you're losing more money.

What they should have done is maybe make a limited run of 65ZT65 and jack the price up enough to make some money, there is a market for premium TV, although likely a limited one.
post #7565 of 12376 Old 01-24-2014, 09:39 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Any way they are gone for ever it will take an other five years for 4K OLED 65" to comes down in price to $3,000 in the mean time I will enjoy the ZT60 and for movies the JVC DLA-RS35U with 135" 2:35 wide screen biggrin.gif
post #7566 of 12376 Old 01-24-2014, 09:44 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playdrv4me View Post

1. Pioneer is also one sheet of glass, with NO filter (only a coating), but sunken within the bezel.

2. VT60 has the light filter (?) and A/R coating, but has to make due with an air gap to achieve a "one sheet look". Extra layer of glass works against you here in terms of ultimate PQ.

3. F8500 is one sheet sunken within the bezel like Pioneer, AND has its own implementation of the same type of light filter.

4. ST60 is most like the Pioneer. With an Anti-glare coating, and what appears to be a single sheet of glass design sunken within a bezel. On a side-note, the more I examine the differences between all these TVs, the more the ST60 really stands out as a spectacular value of the year. I probably would have chosen this over a VT had I not been dead set on a ZT.

5. I remembered that I noticed a halo effect on LGs. I just realized that this is because they use older dual pane designs (likely what Pioneer was referring to in *their* press release) and worse yet, employ NO A/R coating to combat external light sources. This is really the worst of all possible scenarios, and you get what you pay for there.

6. Finally, ZT60 has the light filter, has the A/R coating, and by way of AGL *extends* the benefit of one-sheet of glass design to a completely flush appearance.

+100!!! I couldn't agree more!

As I've often said, the ZT60 is slightly better than the ST60. But without its advantage of minimizing reflections, the ZT's cost is impossible to justify over the ST. Additionally, I wouldn't, in good conscience, recommend the VT over either. And, that goes for the F8500 too. In my opinion, the ST60 really should have been included in the shootout for the audience members to vote on.

Anyway, if I'm being honest, given its price, the ST60 is the real product of the year.

P.S. I've owned all the 2013 models and kept only the 50ST60 & 60ZT60. I currently have a potential lead on a 60ST60 (possibly a 65) that I will evaluate as a possible replacement for my 60ZT60. We shall see...
post #7567 of 12376 Old 01-24-2014, 09:47 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

I wished they had launched a 70" ZT
post #7568 of 12376 Old 01-24-2014, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by kluken View Post

What they should have done is maybe make a limited run of 65ZT65 and jack the price up enough to make some money, there is a market for premium TV, although likely a limited one.
Yeah but that would be too small of a production run to justify the current production facility, so they'd have the expense of refitting another location. And then of course we'd all be jealous that a newer version was available rather than smug knowing we got the last great plasma. biggrin.gif
jliedeka and larrygeary like this.

post #7569 of 12376 Old 01-24-2014, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by ab2ab View Post

Anyway, if I'm being honest, given its price, the ST60 is the real product of the year.

Well that certainly played into CNET's first ever five star review, no doubt. The only place where the waters get a little muddy is once you consider how much prices fell on the ZT later on. As I've mentioned before, through some happenstance circumstances my 60ZT60 ended up at about 1700.00 brand new. It's been so long now that I don't remember what the 60ST went for, but I'm thinking it was like 1499? So the 60ST would have to get down to like 800 bucks to be a better buy at that point. But even assuming the final normal course of sale prices, i think the 60ZT dipped all the way down to 2199 at its lowest point, and the ST never really dipped much below it's standard MSRP due to the high demand on the STs if I recall correctly. So at that point you would still have been better getting the ZT.

Now, when we're talking 1499 versus 2999 I can certainly see your perspective.
repete66211 likes this.
post #7570 of 12376 Old 01-24-2014, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

Beat me to it.

Also, they're flying off the shelves NOW but let's be honest, that's the enthusiast community scrambling to get every one they can AFTER the official announcement. I know plenty here have made the statement that they may not even have had plans to replace their current TVs until they heard Panny was going away then everyone suddenly sprang into action. So that just would have meant more inventory to sit around another year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puch96 View Post

Yes. That would me me.... I was not planning on replacing my current Panasonic Plasma until I knew that they were going to stop making them, and knowing that they came out with the "Reference TV".

Count me in too... I am very happy with my 65VT30 (calibrated by D-Nice), AND we will be moving soon so I definitely was not in the market for another TV, at least not now . But when they announced that this will be the last year Panasonic will be making plasmas, my interest perked. What finally pushed me over the cliff, however was seeing the 65ZT60 advertised for $2799! That's $1000 less than what I paid for my VT30!!! I too missed the Kuro ship and wasn't going to miss the ZT one, and surely not at this price point. The rest is history.
puch96 likes this.
post #7571 of 12376 Old 01-24-2014, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Keeping on the subject of bias lighting - do you calibrate to a different gamma target when using one (like 2.3?). Also, are there any other calibration considerations?
post #7572 of 12376 Old 01-24-2014, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 89
Chad used mine with a gamma of 2.4
post #7573 of 12376 Old 01-24-2014, 11:05 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Is it worth it to get it calibrated CNET settings are unbelievable!

post #7574 of 12376 Old 01-24-2014, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 49
About the back light, is it this one? If so, great price plus prime shipping available!

http://www.amazon.com/Antec-Halo-LED-Bias-Lighting/dp/B0053B347M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390590871&sr=8-1&keywords=antec+backlight
post #7575 of 12376 Old 01-24-2014, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 89
No i got this one
post #7576 of 12376 Old 01-24-2014, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:

I see where the confusion is coming from. Pioneer touted "one sheet of glass" as a feature on their OWN page years ago. In fact, they even talk about their own form of glass bonding. If they say one sheet, I say one sheet and the benefit ultimately touted is the same.

"Most plasma screens employ two front sheets of glass, creating secondary reflections at some viewing angels. Pioneer developed a patented color filter which is bonded directly to the first surface glass, allowing this display to use just one sheet of glass. The result is superior contrast even in brighter environments."

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/portal/site/EC/template.MAXIMIZE/login/?javax.portlet.tpst=a0c6546f67a0fafb28290b1052768a0c_ws_MX&javax.portlet.prp_a0c6546f67a0fafb28290b1052768a0c_viewID=introductionview&javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken
In my opinion we're skewing far afield into the world of semantics at this point. If "one sheet" results in the "ultimate picture quality", then the Pioneer was clearly already there with one sheet, just sunken beneath the bezel. The Panasonic is one flush sheet. In my opinion the Panasonic's *flush* sheet of glass design creates an illusion that produces more pop to the image and almost makes the image appear to "float" in mid-air. When combined with the ultra thin bezel and the Panasonic's superior employment of anti-glare technologies, perhaps there is a more enjoyable picture in some cases (it does to me). But did they "create" better PQ through AGL in an attempt to make it one sheet? Not really, they just ADDED a piece of glass and then made it look nicer through AGL.

AGL bonds that EXTRA sheet to the PDP to make it seem like the PDP becomes a single pane across the front of the TV. It has no technical benefit, but creates an *illusion* that does have a benefit for those of us who like the look it achieves. The irony of all that is that the VT would seem to be the only TV at a (minor) disadvantage here as one of the few, or perhaps the only high end PDP that even has an extra sheet WITH an air gap this year.

NOW... As for that light filter... I thought the VT60 and F8500 both had this? I thought this was the aspect that causes the dimming effect when you get off the "sweet spot" and end up over or under a certain angle on the display. I know for sure the F8500 does this, I don't actually remember if the VT does or not. *If* in-fact the F8500 and VT also have the light filter, then it ultimately means that the only thing AGL ultimately achieves, is making the image flush with the frame. And that's not to diminish AGL's importance, but to narrow down exactly what the benefit is in answering David's original observation, i.e...

1. Pioneer is also one sheet of glass, with NO filter (only a coating), but sunken within the bezel.

2. VT60 has the light filter (?) and A/R coating, but has to make due with an air gap to achieve a "one sheet look". Extra layer of glass works against you here in terms of ultimate PQ.

3. F8500 is one sheet sunken within the bezel like Pioneer, AND has its own implementation of the same type of light filter.

4. ST60 is most like the Pioneer. With an Anti-glare coating, and what appears to be a single sheet of glass design sunken within a bezel. On a side-note, the more I examine the differences between all these TVs, the more the ST60 really stands out as a spectacular value of the year. I probably would have chosen this over a VT had I not been dead set on a ZT.

5. I remembered that I noticed a halo effect on LGs. I just realized that this is because they use older dual pane designs (likely what Pioneer was referring to in *their* press release) and worse yet, employ NO A/R coating to combat external light sources. This is really the worst of all possible scenarios, and you get what you pay for there.

6. Finally, ZT60 has the light filter, has the A/R coating, and by way of AGL *extends* the benefit of one-sheet of glass design to a completely flush appearance.

PHEW.

Dude Its a color filter....I thought for a second it was another panel of glass. And I dont know of any other plasma model from Samsung or Panasonic ( two best plasma manufacturers in the last 5-6 years ) that have two panels of glass other than the VT60 ( Due to its one sheet of glass design ) so I dont know what Pioneer is talking about when they mention this that..... "Most plasma screens employ two front sheets of glass, creating secondary reflections at some viewing angels"...Maybe displays back in 2007 had two panels of glass so a light filter could be applied but not anymore

FYI every display manufacturer now bonds the light filter to their glass panel...even low end models from Panasonic and Samsung.....Thats the only way it can be applied. Whether it is bonded in an autoclave or bonded using some type of glue coating or compression glue coating is something I dont know but that doesnt make Pioneer exclusive for doing that....TBH, pioneer just gave a common practice ( by 2014 standards ) a fancy name...though I doubt in 2007 other plasma manufacturers were fiddling around with light filter the way Pioneer had. Its obviously a different story now. Look at the Samsung F8500 plasma, it has a fantastic light filter.

This is what David M from hdtvtest.co.uk had to say about the proposed Studio Master Panel ( he doesnt even mention the "bonding" process of the ultimate black filter because its such a common feature to have nowadays)

"In any case, this new direct bonding process means that light from the screen can be directly transmitted to the outside world with absolutely no internal reflections. The result is the clarity (and we presume also much of the contrast efficiency?) of a “bare” panel, with zero internal reflections, with the aesthetics of a “one-sheet-of-glass” design, the best of both worlds."

SOURCE: http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/panasonic-txp60zt65b-201305062961.htm

My theory on this bonding process is that it put the ZT60 back on the same playing field with displays that didnt have a second pane of glass to deal with. I doubt this bodning feature has a positive effect on the image but it shoudlnt anyways.... the real magic of this method is that it enhances the effect of the Ultimate Black Filter which is why the ZT60 is able to keep blacks soo darn black in broad daylight...there are NO reflections on the inside to deal with

I think the VT and ZT share the same light filter but the removed air gap from the ZT60 gives the ZT60 its fantastic light rejection properties
post #7577 of 12376 Old 01-24-2014, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxion View Post

No i got this one

Changed it to that one. Thanks for the recommendation!
post #7578 of 12376 Old 01-24-2014, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

I know! I used settings from Sound and Vision and CNET and they are fantastic!

Makes me think a $400 calibration is over-rated
post #7579 of 12376 Old 01-24-2014, 11:59 AM

Liked: 42
Quote:

Given that the CNET settings do not look very good "on my set", then it will be worth it "to me".
post #7580 of 12376 Old 01-24-2014, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colnago View Post

Given that the CNET settings do not look very good "on my set", then it will be worth it "to me".

The CNet settings are fine but am betting a calibration makes it that much better. To each their own, remember not all of us see the same!
post #7581 of 12376 Old 01-24-2014, 12:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 444
post #7582 of 12376 Old 01-24-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman69 View Post

The CNet settings are fine but am betting a calibration makes it that much better. To each their own, remember not all of us see the same!

True...however my point was that "not everyone's set comes off the line the same, nor are everyone's source(s) the same".
post #7583 of 12376 Old 01-24-2014, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colnago View Post

True...however my point was that "not everyone's set comes off the line the same, nor are everyone's source(s) the same".

lol, I didn't mean to quote you. I was agreeing with you actually. Sorry!
post #7584 of 12376 Old 01-24-2014, 12:23 PM
zel

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

I can't wait to get mine calibrated. It is an impressive TV, but the skin tones really bother me.
post #7585 of 12376 Old 01-24-2014, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 199
My unit looks better calibrated but it was pretty fantastic right out of the box. I never saw the green tint in THX Cinema. Comparing the before & after reports I can see the objective changes but THX Cinema is nearly spot on. I'm glad I had it done but it is by no means a night & day improvement. But then the ZT is all about getting that extra bit of performance even if it comes at a premium.

post #7586 of 12376 Old 01-24-2014, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman69 View Post

lol, I didn't mean to quote you. I was agreeing with you actually. Sorry!

Its all good. :beer:

I hope to get my ZT calibrated soon. Was gonna pick up a 2nd ZT, but came across a good deal on a pair of 805s that I've been chasing for 20 years, and have been tweaking my audio system as of late. I really don't want to be fiddling with picture settings with the ZT "like I'm still doing" with my 700U for the past 5 years. rolleyes.gif
post #7587 of 12376 Old 01-24-2014, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by repete66211 View Post

My unit looks better calibrated but it was pretty fantastic right out of the box. I never saw the green tint in THX Cinema. Comparing the before & after reports I can see the objective changes but THX Cinema is nearly spot on. I'm glad I had it done but it is by no means a night & day improvement. But then the ZT is all about getting that extra bit of performance even if it comes at a premium.

I also feel that THX Cinema is nearly spot on but unfortunately, I also get the "pale-green-ghost-face" issue under certain conditions on my DishNetwork STB. Has anyone tried to copy the THX Cinema settings into the Professional mode and dial out the "green"?
post #7588 of 12376 Old 01-24-2014, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonChad View Post

Awesome. Thanks for the pic! I may go with that one given the positive reviews it has received.

Cinemaquest provides a sheet with their bias lights on different ways to mount the lights. I personally have two because my display is wall mounted so I had to put one on each side to get even lighting . FYI, it is not necessary to have the glow around all four sides. Here's mine:

Eric

My Stuff: Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 w/  Ideal-Lume Bias Lighting, Yamaha RX-V3800, Oppo BDP-103D

post #7589 of 12376 Old 01-24-2014, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillspace View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonChad View Post

Cinemaquest provides a sheet with their bias lights on different ways to mount the lights. I personally have two because my display is wall mounted so I had to put one on each side to get even lighting . FYI, it is not necessary to have the glow around all four sides. Here's mine:

That looks sharp. I ordered one earlier, so I'll mount it and see if I think I need two. Thanks for the info.

Panasonic TC-P65T60
Oppo BDP-103D
Pioneer VSX-1120-K
Monitor Audio RS6 Silver F, R, C, Surrounds
HSU VTF-1 MK2
PS3
CinemaQuest Ideal-Lume
Harmony Remote
post #7590 of 12376 Old 01-24-2014, 03:06 PM

Liked: 22

Has anyone got any suggested settings that they like best for the Netflix stream direct off the set? The THX mode is not available for that application. My set is 10 days old, 80 hours, all stock. Here's what I think looks pretty killer on House of Cards and a couple IMAX nature movies.

Custom Mode

contrast 55

brightness +10

color 45

tint 0

sharpness 50

color temp normal

vivid off

Brilliance enhancer off

motion smoother weak

Thoughts?

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65zt60 65 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60zt60 60 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page