Official ZT60 Owners Thread - Page 259 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #7741 of 12817 Old 01-27-2014, 08:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks, but I should have mentioned that the problem occurs on all channels and on blu-ray disks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7742 of 12817 Old 01-27-2014, 09:00 AM

Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

It's in an other room I only have KEF speakers smile.gif

Nice...I was always fond of the original "Uni-Q?"...just picked up 805s few weeks back after chasing them since the "Matrix" days.

FWIW, I do think that my Oct. build has less fan noise than my July...however the July "noise" is not bothersome for me, and I cannot hear it over the TV sound, let alone the HVAC. Given the lack of availability, and the chance that I replacement may come with other issues, if you're having noise other than "air" (e.g. fan blades rubbing against the screen) have you tried just loosening the back? If it gets out of hand, which I doubt for me, I'd just Dremmel out the fan holes, and maybe cover it back with speaker cloth.
post #7743 of 12817 Old 01-27-2014, 09:11 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_to_my_ear View Post

this may sound crude and absurd but why not remove the back panel and leave it off?
The intrusion of dust.
post #7744 of 12817 Old 01-27-2014, 09:28 AM

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

The intrusion of dust.

Because fans don't pull in dust anyway? wink.gif
post #7745 of 12817 Old 01-27-2014, 09:34 AM

I believe the flow is outward...but I could be wrong.
post #7746 of 12817 Old 01-27-2014, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haberle View Post

Hello everyone, I hope somebody can provide some insight into a problem I'm having with the ZT60. The set arrived two days ago and I've noticed that images in the center of the screen appear distorted slightly, somewhat elongated. It can be seen in the photos below. Compare Jonathan Karl's head in the first photo, which is split-screen with David Muir, with the second photo where Karl is solo and centered. It's obvious the figure is elongated. The problem can also be distinctly seen in the third photo which is a close-up of the tree behind his left shoulder. Notice how the tree trunk at the bottom is thinner in the left image compared to the image on the right.

By the way, the problem is more striking when viewing the TV compared to these photos. In fact, when the image changed from split screen to Karl alone, I almost did a double-take it was so distinctive.

I'm using the settings from the CNET review. I haven't monkeyed around with anything else. The problem is apparent on all picture settings, all inputs, and with all sources (U-verse box and Oppo blu-ray player).

Anybody else experience this or have some thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Would try a blue-ray disc and see what happens - I would also reboot the cable box - on several occasions problems both audio and video have been solved by a reboot!

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 - Oppo BDP-103D - Panasonic DMP-BDT220 - Toshiba HD-DVD-3A - OPPO DV-981HD - Harmony 880
Onkyo TX-NR809 --- Definitive Technology - Studio Monitor 65 (2) - CS8040HD - Studio Monitor 45 (2) - Super Cube 6000
post #7747 of 12817 Old 01-27-2014, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haberle View Post

Hello everyone, I hope somebody can provide some insight into a problem I'm having with the ZT60. The set arrived two days ago and I've noticed that images in the center of the screen appear distorted slightly, somewhat elongated. It can be seen in the photos below. Compare Jonathan Karl's head in the first photo, which is split-screen with David Muir, with the second photo where Karl is solo and centered. It's obvious the figure is elongated. The problem can also be distinctly seen in the third photo which is a close-up of the tree behind his left shoulder. Notice how the tree trunk at the bottom is thinner in the left image compared to the image on the right.

By the way, the problem is more striking when viewing the TV compared to these photos. In fact, when the image changed from split screen to Karl alone, I almost did a double-take it was so distinctive.

I'm using the settings from the CNET review. I haven't monkeyed around with anything else. The problem is apparent on all picture settings, all inputs, and with all sources (U-verse box and Oppo blu-ray player).

Anybody else experience this or have some thoughts? Thanks in advance!
I noticed this too early on. It's probably a matter of adjusting the "H Size". Be sure to have the aspect ratio on "Full" (not "Just"), the overscan turned off and experiment with the "H Size" setting until it looks like how it's supposed to.

post #7748 of 12817 Old 01-27-2014, 09:48 AM

Quote:

But wouldn't the direction be moot if the back cover was off?
post #7749 of 12817 Old 01-27-2014, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:

Thanks, that's what I am worried about Micro-Fractures I know there are not many other choices so I will see if it does it again but I am afraid I am out of luck frown.gif
The micro-fracture problem, though significant and very real, has really been overblown. Maybe 3 or 4 people have experienced it out of all the members posting throughout the last 9 months. Again, it's real so I feel bad for the victims, but knowing of the potential problem in advance makes it very easy to avoid. When you have the fan fix installed just bring the other bulletin to the attention of the tech performing it. Then inspect the TV yourself to ensure it was done correctly. That's a low risk, small price to pay for the sort of picture quality you get with this TV.

post #7750 of 12817 Old 01-27-2014, 09:52 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by colnago View Post

The direction is irrelevant as air has to come in somewhere so that the fans can blow out air.. otherwise a vacuum would be created and there would be no more air to blow out biggrin.gif
post #7751 of 12817 Old 01-27-2014, 09:52 AM

Quote:

Yes, which is why I was making an argument for NOT removing the cover.
post #7752 of 12817 Old 01-27-2014, 09:56 AM

Liked: 17
Just looking at the fans on my May build, and it has the foam around the fans. I didn't think that it was applied till later builds?

Edit: just looking back in the thread, and the foam fix is behind the fan. So more than likely it's not there. Still really happy with mine.

Panasonic 65ZT60 (May build)
Pioneer SC-68
Energy RC-70 fronts
Paradigm CC-690 v.5
Energy V-MINIS surrounds
SVS PC-13 ULTRA
X-Box one, X-Box 360, PS3
post #7753 of 12817 Old 01-27-2014, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 36
Quote:

July 2013!

I have an October 2013 build and it's pretty quiet. I cannot hear the fan from 9 feet away and the typical plasma buzz during bright scenes is definitely louder. My PS3 fan is WAY louder. So I think the repair might be worth doing for you.
post #7754 of 12817 Old 01-27-2014, 09:57 AM

Quote:

Yes, which is why I was making an argument for NOT removing the cover.

I know, and I agree...was more responding to andrewread's response to your response of music_to_my_ear.
post #7755 of 12817 Old 01-27-2014, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewread View Post

The direction is irrelevant as air has to come in somewhere so that the fans can blow out air.. otherwise a vacuum would be created and there would be no more air to blow out biggrin.gif

Doubt that having all outward blowing fans would create a pressure issue with the sets, but having the back off would probably allow more dust to accumulate where it normally would not regardless of the fan configuration. My moded gaming PCs are a testament to that.
post #7756 of 12817 Old 01-27-2014, 10:14 AM

Quote:

Doubt that having all outward blowing fans would create a pressure issue with the sets, but having the back off would probably allow more dust to accumulate where it normally would not regardless of the fan configuration. My moded gaming PCs are a testament to that.

unless there is a HEPA filter on the intake, air is pulled in and then exhausted, and with it will come dust. There simply isn't any way around the physics.. be it a PC or a TV.

I personally don't care if the back is on or off frankly, but dust will enter the TV regardless.
post #7757 of 12817 Old 01-27-2014, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Will someone post the link on how to inspect the screen for cracks and pixel issues and also how to run the slides.

Also, Can the TV be tilted down on the provided stand?

This technology is way over my head and my eyesight is not the best.

So far my plasma looks great and as far as I can tell arrived intact..

Thank You
post #7758 of 12817 Old 01-27-2014, 10:33 AM

Quote:

unless there is a HEPA filter on the intake, air is pulled in and then exhausted, and with it will come dust. There simply isn't any way around the physics.. be it a PC or a TV.

I personally don't care if the back is on or off frankly, but dust will enter the TV regardless.

Won't taking the back off void the warranty?
post #7759 of 12817 Old 01-27-2014, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypermole View Post

Will someone post the link on how to inspect the screen for cracks and pixel issues and also how to run the slides.

Also, Can the TV be tilted down on the provided stand?

This technology is way over my head and my eyesight is not the best.

So far my plasma looks great and as far as I can tell arrived intact..

Thank You

At the top of each page of each thread, you can search for any content "within the thread", and it will return all the posts for that keyword.

Searching on google for D-Nice ZT60 settings, the first result should take you to the site with the slides, and the corresponding instructions.

The stand is fixed. It can be tilted, but its was not made like that from the factory.
post #7760 of 12817 Old 01-27-2014, 10:36 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_to_my_ear View PostThis may sound crude and absurd but why not remove the back panel and leave it off? I'm sure this could relieve the fan noise and even cool the components even more....unless you plan on moving the set often or leaving it exposed to the elements I dont think it should be a problem for most owners...  I was thinking of doing this if my display had the issue tbh....I dont think removing the back panel would affect the set being wall mounted since once I mounted it the tv wouldnt be moved for a very long time

I am not sure that removing the back panel is wise as it was design for integrity purposes! I think that it would also void the warranty and am not sure it would make the fans quieter?

Has any one done this?

My humble Cinema
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7761 of 12817 Old 01-27-2014, 10:40 AM

^Indeed, forget about the prospect of more dust intrusion and think about integrity. The likelihood of causing the stress microfractures is increased greatly with the back panel removed. However, it has been reported that the fans are whisper quiet with the panel removed.
post #7762 of 12817 Old 01-27-2014, 10:42 AM

Quote:

I am not sure that removing the back panel is wise as it was design for integrity purposes! I think that it would also void the warranty and am not sure it would make the fans quieter?

Has any one done this?

I think someone "Dremmeled" the fan openings, such that all the perforations were removed (now just an open square). It "could" make the fans quieter as the air flow would not be hitting anything (whistle effect?).
post #7763 of 12817 Old 01-27-2014, 10:43 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post^Indeed, forget about the prospect of more dust intrusion and think about integrity. The likelihood of causing the stress microfractures is increased greatly with the back panel removed.
That's what I thought
However, it has been reported that the fans are whisper quiet with the panel removed.
By who

My humble Cinema
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7764 of 12817 Old 01-27-2014, 10:44 AM

Quote:

At the top of each page of each thread, you can search for any content "within the thread", and it will return all the posts for that keyword.

Searching on google for D-Nice ZT60 settings, the first result should take you to the site with the slides, and the corresponding instructions.

The stand is fixed. It can be tilted, but its was not made like that from the factory.

Thank You
post #7765 of 12817 Old 01-27-2014, 10:51 AM

Quote:

By who?
Some Europeans who were experimenting. I think it was at AVForums.

It has long been established that the noise is not the fans themselves but the passage of air/resonance the fans create via the back panel while in operation.
post #7766 of 12817 Old 01-27-2014, 11:00 AM

Quote:

Some Europeans who were experimenting. I think it was at AVForums.

It has long been established that the noise is not the fans themselves but the passage of air/resonance the fans create via the back panel while in operation.

Yup...its all about "turbulance":

wink.gif

http://www.cat-ears.com/How-They-Work.html

(...reminds me that I need to order a pair)
vinnie97 likes this.
post #7767 of 12817 Old 01-27-2014, 11:08 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colnago View PostYup...its all about "turbulance": wink.gifhttp://www.cat-ears.com/How-They-Work.html  (...reminds me that I need to order a pair)

Makes sense so how about cutting the holes?

My humble Cinema
post #7768 of 12817 Old 01-27-2014, 11:20 AM

Quote:

Makes sense so how about cutting the holes?

Not sure if they went thru with it...I stopped following because its a non-issue for me (although I do hear the air flow from 10ft, in a "totally quiet room"...goes away once sound from TV is audible). However its the 2nd route I would have gone if using some sort of foam/mesh/baffle over the holes would not have worked.

Have you checked the "fan" thread?

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1478361/panasonic-zt60-and-vt60-fan-fridge-noise-production-numbers/

If you want, I've got an old car air filter I can place over the openings that I could try, and post results. It would basically just baffle/redirect the air flow, vs. "passing through", as the filter is folded paper in a WVWVWVWV pattern. So instead of going "straight out the back", it would be forced up/down or left/right.
post #7769 of 12817 Old 01-27-2014, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypermole View Post

Won't taking the back off void the warranty?

Quote:

Has any one done this?

Quote:

^Indeed, forget about the prospect of more dust intrusion and think about integrity. The likelihood of causing the stress microfractures is increased greatly with the back panel removed. However, it has been reported that the fans are whisper quiet with the panel removed.

Quote:

I think someone "Dremmeled" the fan openings, such that all the perforations were removed (now just an open square). It "could" make the fans quieter as the air flow would not be hitting anything (whistle effect?).

Wow, this has gotten worse than the UPS debate. wink.gif

Don't get me wrong, I am not for (or against) the removal of the rear panel, just wanted to point out that the notion of dust NOT being a factor with the back panel ON was a bit absurd.

That said, the warranty isn't an issue if Panasonic is sending out kits to end users to fix the fan noise issue (which I believe I read previously in this thread...) However, it will be an issue with your local electrical authority,as no back panel while powered will void any electrical certifications that the unit may have met before it was taken off to expose all of the electrical components wink.gif
post #7770 of 12817 Old 01-27-2014, 11:39 AM

Quote:

Wow, this has gotten worse than the UPS debate. wink.gif

Don't get me wrong, I am not for (or against) the removal of the rear panel, just wanted to point out that the notion of dust NOT being a factor with the back panel ON was a bit absurd.

That said, the warranty isn't an issue if Panasonic is sending out kits to end users to fix the fan noise issue (which I believe I read previously in this thread...) However, it will be an issue with your local electrical authority,as no back panel while powered will void any electrical certifications that the unit may have met before it was taken off to expose all of the electrical components wink.gif

Why you gotta bring me all back in this? I'd stop at Dremmeling out the opening...no way I'd let my set hang out with the back off. That's only w/my PCs.

tongue.gif

(The views expressed regarding the use of a Dremmel in this thread do not reflect the views of the this site's owner(s), and in no way is colnago endorsing the use of a Dremmel on the back of "your" TV, even if he would on his own...that's just how colnago gets down).
synaptech likes this.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65zt60 65 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60zt60 60 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page