Official ZT60 Owners Thread - Page 262 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #7831 of 12793 Old 01-28-2014, 11:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Per D-Nice at the VE shootout, I wouldn't "pay" for a calibration until the set at at least 300hrs on it...100 of which with slides. But that was just "my" set.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7832 of 12793 Old 01-28-2014, 11:34 AM

Liked: 10

Gotcha. 

That will be very challenging with The Game this Sunday! Ha. 

post #7833 of 12793 Old 01-28-2014, 11:34 AM

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by onepanda View Post

I just received the ZT and it looks good so far except one thing. This might be nitpicking, but I would appreciate some other's input. The panel's left side appears to have very slight separation between glass and panel. This only appears to be at the left top and bottom corners. I'm able to apply slight pressure and to make contact, though the glass flares out when released.

I've got something similar on the top right corner. I've had the tv hanging on the wall for a month and a half now and it hasn't gotten better or worse. It can't be seen from straight on and hasn't affected the picture. My feeling is that since it will probably be fine and you don't have many exchange options left I would (and am) keep it. You have a one year warranty if something goes wrong. Keep the pictures perhaps for future reference.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7834 of 12793 Old 01-28-2014, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post

Gotcha. 
That will be very challenging with The Game this Sunday! Ha. 

24hrs in a day...don't waste any.
post #7835 of 12793 Old 01-28-2014, 11:45 AM

This baby WILL have 100 hours of slides by kickoff guaranteed! :cool:

post #7836 of 12793 Old 01-28-2014, 11:58 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:

I just received the ZT and it looks good so far except one thing. This might be nitpicking, but I would appreciate some other's input. The panel's left side appears to have very slight separation between glass and panel. This only appears to be at the left top and bottom corners. I'm able to apply slight pressure and to make contact, though the glass flares out when released.

Mine shows a small one in the top right corner and is very slight. The rest of the set is fine. It doesn't affect picture quality at all.

Eric

My Stuff: Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 w/  Ideal-Lume Bias Lighting, Yamaha RX-V3800, Oppo BDP-103D

post #7837 of 12793 Old 01-28-2014, 11:59 AM

Quote:

This baby WILL have 100 hours of slides by kickoff guaranteed! cool.gif

Make sure "everything else" is working during this time as well. Getting a replacement may not be possible "later".
post #7838 of 12793 Old 01-28-2014, 12:01 PM

Good point. It will get the 100 point inspection, for sure. 

post #7839 of 12793 Old 01-28-2014, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
If I want to use the THX setting but be able to modify Pixel Orbit setting and Game mode, can i enable Professional 1 and 2 and then copy settings?

I also want to do this for a buddy that has a VT50. How do you utilize THX settings sans the Pixel Orbit and Game Mode?

AVR: Marantz 7008 Phono: Pro-Ject Debut III Speakers: BW CMC2 + 2xCM9 + Energy 2xCB-10 (rear)
TV: Panasonic 65ZT60, Samsung 60F5300
post #7840 of 12793 Old 01-28-2014, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_to_my_ear View Post

I just checked the hours on my set....

I put about 600 hours of pure break in slides on my 65zt60. Purpose of that was to torture test the unit before the return window was up.....no issues cropped up

That is so sick.

That is analogous to buying a brand new car and running it at 5000 rpm on a rack for two months to make sure nothing is wrong with the engine.

Its amazing to me how this whole slide thing has grown completely away from where it started (as a way to age the panels a bit so that calibration didn't drift too much when the panel was new) into this bizzaro world where somehow you need to run slides before watching content even if you are never getting your set calibrated.

For those that are new to Video reading this thread, do yourself a favor: Ignore the exisitence of any slides, and just watch your TV and enjoy it. There is no evidence that slides do anything at all other than age your TV prematurely. Only if you are planning on getting it calibrated should you even think about the slides, but even then, I would just watch TV for 200 or 300 hours rather than run slides.
oldsteve, sooke, pg_ice and 4 others like this.
post #7841 of 12793 Old 01-28-2014, 01:44 PM

Its a shame that some people do not comprehend the instructions, and/or bother to fully read, nor research them.
post #7842 of 12793 Old 01-28-2014, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 99
I never used the slides but read what he said - Slides were developed and were suppose to be run for 100 hours. I expect to read a post in a year or two that states "Almost finished running the slides - Can't wait to watch something on my ZT"

This is from the web site

Recommended 100 Hour Panel Prep Settings for North American Panasonic TC-PxxS60/ST60/VT60/ZT60 models (ONLY to be used with USB/SD Card Files attached below!!!!!!!!)

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 - Oppo BDP-103D - Panasonic DMP-BDT220 - Toshiba HD-DVD-3A - OPPO DV-981HD - Harmony 880
Onkyo TX-NR809 --- Definitive Technology - Studio Monitor 65 (2) - CS8040HD - Studio Monitor 45 (2) - Super Cube 6000
post #7843 of 12793 Old 01-28-2014, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
^That's if you want to get the closest match possible with D-Nice's settings (a bit a crapshoot given panel variance).

Purportedly, the VT/ZT drift a lot in the first 300 hours, and that is why the recommendation this year has climbed to 300.
post #7844 of 12793 Old 01-28-2014, 02:21 PM

Liked: 11
Right on! My thoughts exactly.
post #7845 of 12793 Old 01-28-2014, 02:32 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeKnobber View Post

That is so sick.

That is analogous to buying a brand new car and running it at 5000 rpm on a rack for two months to make sure nothing is wrong with the engine.

Its amazing to me how this whole slide thing has grown completely away from where it started (as a way to age the panels a bit so that calibration didn't drift too much when the panel was new) into this bizzaro world where somehow you need to run slides before watching content even if you are never getting your set calibrated.

For those that are new to Video reading this thread, do yourself a favor: Ignore the exisitence of any slides, and just watch your TV and enjoy it. There is no evidence that slides do anything at all other than age your TV prematurely. Only if you are planning on getting it calibrated should you even think about the slides, but even then, I would just watch TV for 200 or 300 hours rather than run slides.

I agree with most of this. I'm getting my ZT calibrated, so I'm running D-Nice's slides for the first 100 hours when I'm not watching full screen content. After 100 hours have passed, I'll watch at least 200 more hours before I have it calibrated.
repete66211 likes this.

Panasonic TC-P65T60
Oppo BDP-103D
Pioneer VSX-1120-K
Monitor Audio RS6 Silver F, R, C, Surrounds
HSU VTF-1 MK2
PS3
CinemaQuest Ideal-Lume
Harmony Remote
post #7846 of 12793 Old 01-28-2014, 02:50 PM

Clemson Chad, 

You know, after hours of reading I think you propose the common sense approach.

I have exactly 45 minutes on my ZT and counting but I will be watching my Wildcats beat LSU tonight then turn the slides back on. 

post #7847 of 12793 Old 01-28-2014, 02:57 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:

I can tell you what I'd do, were it my ZT.  If I had an exchange option, I'd take it, with the stipulation of being able to inspect the replacement prior to accepting it and returning the faulty one.  If there is no option of a replacement, I would make the retailer aware of the problem and make sure exactly what your options are at the end of a year or how ever many years you have purchased.  Were this a VT, I wouldn't be too worried, but being this is a ZT and we are all aware of the single panel adhesion issue, it wouldn't hurt to be hyper-vigilant here.  If you decide to keep it, be sure you have an extended warranty of some sort.  I personally still have to get the $99 deal for my ZT.

post #7848 of 12793 Old 01-28-2014, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekarita View Post

I can tell you what I'd do, were it my ZT.  If I had an exchange option, I'd take it, with the stipulation of being able to inspect the replacement prior to accepting it and returning the faulty one.  If there is no option of a replacement, I would make the retailer aware of the problem and make sure exactly what your options are at the end of a year or how ever many years you have purchased.  Were this a VT, I wouldn't be too worried, but being this is a ZT and we are all aware of the single panel adhesion issue, it wouldn't hurt to be hyper-vigilant here.  If you decide to keep it, be sure you have an extended warranty of some sort.  I personally still have to get the $99 deal for my ZT.

Thanks for the suggestion, though what exactly is the single panel adhesion issue?
post #7849 of 12793 Old 01-28-2014, 03:07 PM

Quote:

Clemson Chad, 
I have exactly 45 minutes on my ZT and counting but I will be watching my Wildcats beat LSU tonight then turn the slides back on. 

That's because, those are the instructions...for the most part
post #7850 of 12793 Old 01-28-2014, 03:11 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the suggestion, though what exactly is the single panel adhesion issue?

Quote:

I'm not one of the experts here, however from what I've read, there are a few owners that have had an issue with the glass separating from the screen...a little help here please...

post #7851 of 12793 Old 01-28-2014, 03:25 PM

Liked: 46
Quote:

Clemson Chad, 

If you have a full-screen channel without logos, like HBO, you can just put it on, turn off the sound, and let it run. This would also clear off any IR you might get from watching the game.
post #7852 of 12793 Old 01-28-2014, 03:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by colnago View Post

Per D-Nice at the VE shootout, I wouldn't "pay" for a calibration until the set at at least 300hrs on it...100 of which with slides. But that was just "my" set.
Three hundred hours is a good minimum before paying for a calibration from one of the professionals with a good reputation here at AVS. It that's your plan, even D-Nice wouldn't tell you to also do the slides procedure. smile.gif

Calibration Resources:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7853 of 12793 Old 01-28-2014, 03:51 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Quote:

Clemson Chad, 
Make sure that you don't use the settings that D-Nice instructs you to use with the slides for other material. They are "hot" settings that would make image retention much more likely.

There is truly no reason to go back and forth. Either follow the instructions exactly and use his settings or don't bother. smile.gif

Calibration Resources:

post #7854 of 12793 Old 01-28-2014, 04:59 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by myared View Post

But if you really want to use the slides the way D-Nice recommends they be used, you need to play them for 100 hours before you watch anything else on the TV. So, slides and nothing but from hours 0 to 100. Then your TV's phosphores will have matured consistently across the whole panel and the TV can be calibrated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

That's if you want to get the closest match possible with D-Nice's settings (a bit a crapshoot given panel variance)..

Exactly. If you don't care about using D-Nice's settings, then the name of the game is just getting enough hours on everything to avoid significant panel drift before calibration.
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Make sure that you don't use the settings that D-Nice instructs you to use with the slide for other material. They are "hot" settings that would make image retention much more likely.

There is truly no reason to go back and forth. Either follow the instructions exactly or don't bother. smile.gif

No harm in using the slides mixed in with regular content if you are in a rush to calibrate. As above, I thought the point of following D-Nice's instructions exactly was only for using his own settings. If you just want to put miles on the odometer, then it's a different story, no?
repete66211 likes this.
post #7855 of 12793 Old 01-28-2014, 06:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Wanted to share my experience with the "fan fix"

I have a July build set that had a bad whining harmonic fan noise. Despite the paranoia about the micro cracks, I decided to go for the fix anyways because the fan noise was particularly loud in my case. I made sure the tech looked over the service bulletin before starting the work as well wink.gif. After the work was done, the rear cover appears to fit within the groove on the back of the set and is not riding up on the outer bezel frame anywhere that I can notice. I believe that is all that I need to watch out for but please let me know if there is something else I should check!

Anyways, back to the fix. It definitely helped - I would call the noise reduction around 50%. While not completely gone, it is much more tolerable.

As always, YMMV
repete66211 likes this.
post #7856 of 12793 Old 01-28-2014, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:

I guess if I zoomed in the corners of my set it would look exactly like yours. Mine is the same. Nothing to get excited about at this point. Can't replace it. Back away and sit in front of your TV. Now, take a deep breath, relax and enjoy your TV.
repete66211 likes this.
post #7857 of 12793 Old 01-28-2014, 06:56 PM

Liked: 11
Just turned ON my 65ZT60 for first time an hour ago, tried Tangled, Happy Feet, Avatar...absolutely freaking, amazingly awesome biggrin.gif. I tried THX and THX brightroom. I'll play with settings in next few days! It looks massive compared to how it looked in the store. I sit 10-12ft from tv and check for problems and its flawless!
October build.
repete66211 likes this.
post #7858 of 12793 Old 01-28-2014, 07:08 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

When you apply pressure is the glass moving or the bezel? I can't tell from photo, but maybe it's the bezel is out of line?
post #7859 of 12793 Old 01-28-2014, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaptech View Post

When you apply pressure is the glass moving or the bezel? I can't tell from photo, but maybe it's the bezel is out of line?

Good point...didn't think about that.

post #7860 of 12793 Old 01-28-2014, 07:27 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by synaptech View Post

When I press on mine, the glass or whatever it is springs back out. Does it wherever you push on an edge, but more apparent at the corners. You really have to look close to see. It may be a covering over the glass. Appears to be 1/32 or 1/16" thick. Filter maybe?

Bezel doesn't move. Rock solid.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65zt60 65 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60zt60 60 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page