Official ZT60 Owners Thread - Page 271 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8101 of 12742 Old 01-31-2014, 05:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Dont know how well you guys can see this, pretty hard to see on a phone but heres my banding at 800 hours. Also you can see that xbox logo image retention as well that im always complaining about. Been running pixel oribiter for a few hours now. I swear that thing is never on for more then seconds at a time since i discovered how bad of ir it gives me. Very very annoying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8102 of 12742 Old 01-31-2014, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_to_my_ear View Post

Bias light will make the blacks OLED like...its pretty cool.
Yeah, it was also the only way I was able to watch my edge lit LED at night with the lights out. It was a huge difference in black levels with the bias light on and it also covered up some of the uniformity issues that you would notice in a dark room.

I sold the kit along with that TV and just haven't felt the need to get another one with my VT60 although I know it would make an already great picture even better. Would basically make blacks look like the TV was off.
post #8103 of 12742 Old 01-31-2014, 06:03 PM

Liked: 17
No my back panel looks correct. Smooth no bumps
post #8104 of 12742 Old 01-31-2014, 06:03 PM

Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxion View Post

Dont know how well you guys can see this, pretty hard to see on a phone but heres my banding at 800 hours. Also you can see that xbox logo image retention as well that im always complaining about. Been running pixel oribiter for a few hours now. I swear that thing is never on for more then seconds at a time since i discovered how bad of ir it gives me. Very very annoying.

So is it a single broad dark band about 4" wide along the right side? I can't quite make it out. It also looks like you have the 1/2" wide light band hard against the right edge that we were discussing earlier.
post #8105 of 12742 Old 01-31-2014, 06:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrygeary View Post

Does it have those "bumps" where the panel should fit below the bezel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman69 View Post

Its a sad day my friends. My 65 ZT 60 build number 110 has microfractures. I had the fan fix in October. And I just noticed them today. The top edge cracks the worst, with the right side and bottom being about the same. I called Panasonic and sent them pictures. Do they replace the panel or replace the tv? I know the zt's are in short supply. Hoping for the best.

Please let us know. I just had the fan fix done as well. Everything looks ok from a fit perspective, though it's hard to tell. All screws around the bezel are only finger tight.
post #8106 of 12742 Old 01-31-2014, 06:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

Yeah, it was also the only way I was able to watch my edge lit LED at night with the lights out. It was a huge difference in black levels with the bias light on and it also covered up some of the uniformity issues that you would notice in a dark room.

I sold the kit along with that TV and just haven't felt the need to get another one with my VT60 although I know it would make an already picture even better. Would basically make blacks look like the TV was off.

It was worth getting a bias light....with the light at about 30% intensity for me I get super dark blacks especially in low apl
post #8107 of 12742 Old 01-31-2014, 06:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It was worth getting a bias light....with the light at about 30% intensity for me I get super dark blacks especially in low apl

Did you go for the one from Amazon? I'm debating just going that route since my wall isn't white anyways (tan colored)
post #8108 of 12742 Old 01-31-2014, 06:33 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

I think the ST60 is a nice step up from the S64 and the ZT60 is in another class of it's own. I can see someone maybe deciding between an ST60, VT60 and ZT60 but I wouldn't really throw in the S64 with those guys. Still a decent TV for the money but just not in the same class.

I actually got a chance to take a look at the ZT60 65 today in the store... I feel foolish asking the question now.  I had a friend with me  and afterwards we went back to my house and popped in a Blu-ray on my S64... It was a huge difference.  I'm going to buy the ZT in the AM tomorrow. 

post #8109 of 12742 Old 01-31-2014, 06:34 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman69 View Post

I highly doubt it.

I don't know how these things work.  Why do you highly doubt it? 

post #8110 of 12742 Old 01-31-2014, 06:43 PM

Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonChad View Post

Thanks. Yes, please post a pic tonight if you can. It's cheap enough on Amazon that I may give it a shot to compare and then return or sell the one I don't keep.

Sorry for the phone pics...tried to adjust the exposure, but couldn't change the ISO. While the bias lights do illuminate the whole back wall, it's a very pale, dim, soft light. I'm not going to be able to capture the true intensity, but what I like most is that it's very "even", and doesn't "glare" right behind the set. FWIW, my pure white walls look a pale grey/blue w/the Antec:

e4yhuryv.jpg

subuhady.jpg

ymy7yjet.jpg
post #8111 of 12742 Old 01-31-2014, 07:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob brennan View Post

Just tried in NYC area for both the 60" & 65" - Not available

We're sorry, the following items are unavailable in your area:

Panasonic - VIERA - 65" Class (64-3/4" Diag.) - Plasma - 1080p - 600Hz - Smart - 3D - HDTV $3,199

Please remove these items from your order before continuing.

We're sorry, the following items are unavailable in your area:

Panasonic - VIERA - 60" Class (60-1/8" Diag.) - Plasma - 1080p - 600Hz - Smart - 3D - HDTV $2,499

Please remove these items from your order before continuing.

Guys Best Buy is out across the country. There are only demo units left. Have BestBuy check regional stores at the service desk and you can see who has demo VT60 or ZT60 left. There are demo units still in the NJ, MA, NY Maryland area but only a handful. The ZT60s are basically at Magnolia stores. B&H Photo and Cleveland Plasma have VT60s left and I think Cleveland Plasma has ZT60s left.

Best Buy has the best price of all since the units are demos. You can pickup a VT60 for under $1799 and in some cases as low as $1550.

post #8112 of 12742 Old 01-31-2014, 07:34 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 36
Ok, here is a picture of my ideal lume with the new ZT60. With my old TV, I had to roll the shutter such that the light was on its lowest output. Turned up the brightness a bit for this larger set. Unfortunately I have a concrete pillar in my new place behind the TV but it doesn't bother me too much. Still playing with positioning a bit to make it more uniform.

Below you can also see how I tried matching the light output to the DVE test pattern (THX Cinema, Contrast at 60). May be a turn its brightness down a notch, but you get the idea.

ugada3y4.jpg

And a picture with the lights on:

areby4aj.jpg
post #8113 of 12742 Old 01-31-2014, 08:17 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjodotcom View Post

Please let us know. I just had the fan fix done as well. Everything looks ok from a fit perspective, though it's hard to tell. All screws around the bezel are only finger tight.

Is the noise reduced?

My humble Cinema
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8114 of 12742 Old 01-31-2014, 08:19 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoooth View Post

I actually got a chance to take a look at the ZT60 65 today in the store... I feel foolish asking the question now.  I had a friend with me  and afterwards we went back to my house and popped in a Blu-ray on my S64... It was a huge difference.  I'm going to buy the ZT in the AM tomorrow. 

It might be gone, better hurry!

My humble Cinema
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8115 of 12742 Old 01-31-2014, 08:20 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:

Ok so it does help with blacks. I had one years ago and moved and can't find it. I had it before I had the slight red tint on my kuro. I may have to buy again. How well does it help with blacks?

I had ideal lum
post #8116 of 12742 Old 01-31-2014, 08:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockFett View Post

Quote:

Ok so it does help with blacks. I had one years ago and moved and can't find it. I had it before I had the slight red tint on my kuro. I may have to buy again. How well does it help with blacks?

I had ideal lum
The Ideal Lume bias lighting has the advantage of being color correct. A bias light will effect the way the iris of you eyes react to bright and dark contrast by giving a larger lighted area.

As I understand it the bias light should be no more than 10% of the brightest material on the screen. You eyes see the dark areas of the subject matter as being darker than they would appear without the bias light.

Calibration Resources:

post #8117 of 12742 Old 01-31-2014, 08:58 PM

Quote:

Yea dude, I couldn't live with that…it would drive me insane. Did it have that band from the start or did it develop over time? The more I think about it the more i'm leaning towards refusing delivery if it has any hint of a band. 

post #8118 of 12742 Old 01-31-2014, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

The Ideal Lume bias lighting has the advantage of being color correct. A bias light will effect the way the iris of you eyes react to bright and dark contrast by giving a larger lighted area.

As I understand it the bias light should be no more than 10% of the brightest material on the screen. You eyes see the dark areas of the subject matter as being darker than they would appear without the bias light.

Thank you. I'm hoping it removes the red tint. Since it's not seen on brighter scenes.
post #8119 of 12742 Old 01-31-2014, 09:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztec2013 View Post

Quote:

Yea dude, I couldn't live with that…it would drive me insane. Did it have that band from the start or did it develop over time? The more I think about it the more i'm leaning towards refusing delivery if it has any hint of a band. 
You seem to be very new here. What you are seeing in the picture won't be visible watching normal source material, and many owners report that it goes away as the set ages.

Psychological problems are another thing all together. wink.gif

Calibration Resources:

post #8120 of 12742 Old 01-31-2014, 09:07 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:

You seem to be very new here. What you are seeing in the picture won't be visible watching normal source material, and many owners report that it goes away as the set ages.

+1 Why look for the band..., no reason to spoil a good thing.
post #8121 of 12742 Old 01-31-2014, 09:26 PM

Quote:

Yes, I am very new to AVS forum. Just joined yesterday….not sure of the relevance

I've had 2 Panasonic tvs  in the last month with the same sort of band and it was visible at a 9 foot viewing distance in a day-lit room. Source was irrelevant. 

This owner says he has 800 hours on his TV. It did not go away. The display model at best buy with the same issue likely had many many more hours than that. It did not go away.

Agreed, psychological problems are another thing all together.

post #8122 of 12742 Old 01-31-2014, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

It might be gone, better hurry!

Lol. I know. My wife called while I was at the store. She wants a 70" or 80" LED. I think she'll like this a lot once we get it home though.
post #8123 of 12742 Old 01-31-2014, 10:04 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 89
I still have the band at 800 hours on one set and no banding on my other set. It is quite noticeable on content. I dont go looking for it, and i see it 2-3 times a day. I got bad luck i guess, first one has a dead pixel, second has bad banding. Both august builds. Most people dont seem to be complaining though, so id accept your delivery and just see how it all turns out, put 100 hours on it first.
post #8124 of 12742 Old 01-31-2014, 10:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Is the noise reduced?

Yes - it would say by about 50%
post #8125 of 12742 Old 01-31-2014, 10:27 PM

Got my 65ZT today...I'm now part of the club smile.gif
post #8126 of 12742 Old 01-31-2014, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakRam View Post

Got my 65ZT today...I'm now part of the club smile.gif

Oh now you're just showing off! wink.gif. Congrats man. biggrin.gif
BlakRam likes this.
post #8127 of 12742 Old 01-31-2014, 10:54 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman69 View Post

Its a sad day my friends. My 65 ZT 60 build number 110 has microfractures. I had the fan fix in October. And I just noticed them today. The top edge cracks the worst, with the right side and bottom being about the same. I called Panasonic and sent them pictures. Do they replace the panel or replace the tv? I know the zt's are in short supply. Hoping for the best.
Ack, and then there were 5. I suspect you won't be the last.
post #8128 of 12742 Old 01-31-2014, 11:59 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockFett View Post

Quote:

Thank you. I'm hoping it removes the red tint. Since it's not seen on brighter scenes.
I think it would be very tricky to get a bias light to counteract a tint on a plasma panel.

Calibration Resources:

post #8129 of 12742 Old 02-01-2014, 12:15 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztec2013 View Post

Quote:

Yes, I am very new to AVS forum. Just joined yesterday….not sure of the relevance
The only relevance is that you may not have had a chance to read the whole thread or the ST60 and VT60 threads.
Quote:
I've had 2 Panasonic tvs  in the last month with the same sort of band and it was visible at a 9 foot viewing distance in a day-lit room. Source was irrelevant.
 The source is relevant unless you mean that you can see it on all normal material, not just on colored or gray slides. If you see it no matter what you are watching, then it's not the problem I was addressing.
Quote:
This owner says he has 800 hours on his TV. It did not go away. The display model at best buy with the same issue likely had many many more hours than that. It did not go away.
If you read what I wrote, I was careful not to say that all owners with this problem reported that it went away over time.
Quote:
Agreed, psychological problems are another thing all together.
Some of us here at AVS are bothered by things we know are there even if we can't see them without special source material or careful searching. You haven't given enough detail to be sure which group you fall into. wink.gif

Barring more details, the advice you will get here from "many" or "most" owners is to not worry about it unless it is affecting your normal viewing.

Enjoy. smile.gif

NOTE: I don't own a Panasonic plasma, and on this issue or on IR problems, I've never had to take my own advise. tongue.gif

Calibration Resources:

post #8130 of 12742 Old 02-01-2014, 12:28 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I still have the band at 800 hours on one set and no banding on my other set. It is quite noticeable on content. I dont go looking for it, and i see it 2-3 times a day. I got bad luck i guess, first one has a dead pixel, second has bad banding. Both august builds. Most people dont seem to be complaining though, so id accept your delivery and just see how it all turns out, put 100 hours on it first.
Does it take any special kind of scene to make the banding visible? I ask because you wrote that you see it two or three times a day.

From what I've read, banding can vary in it's visibility. I'm lucky that my failing memory causes me to be so engrossed in the story line of a Blu-ray movie, or in NFL action that I would forget to look for banding. Now if I was into the NHL it might be different.

Calibration Resources:

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65zt60 65 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60zt60 60 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page