Official ZT60 Owners Thread - Page 289 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8641 of 12245 Old 02-08-2014, 12:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
The gap is not going to impact anything that's not even where the seal is and if dust gets in there it doesn't matter you glass is not coming "apart" stop freaking

I don't thing this is something that developed rather you bought it like that and just noticed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8642 of 12245 Old 02-08-2014, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by GC3 View Post

fan fix leads to separation of glass? where is this leap of logic coming from?
The leap comes from improper re-application of the back panel (or movement, inadvertent or otherwise, of the TV with the back panel removed) after completing the fan fix.
post #8643 of 12245 Old 02-08-2014, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by colnago View Post

Yes...you can "whiten" the whites by adjusting color saturation, and white balance settings.

My whites got whiter when I changed Color Temp from Warm 2 to Normal (think that's what it's called, too lazy to go look), in THX Cinema. (Not calibrated professionally, but the Spears and Munsil disc's greyscale screen was definitely too colorful with Warm 2 and Warm 1. Normal may or may not be slightly bluish (doesn't seem to be), but the whites have been quite white.)

(Also from Spears & Munsil, came up with contrast at 44 and brightness at +2 (though I may have nudged them a little since), colors (color/tint) otherwise were fairly close out of the box, don't have them written down anywhere, but were plus or minus just a few.)
post #8644 of 12245 Old 02-08-2014, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thxtheater View Post

As it stands now, yes. If that's what ends up happening wait until new plasma sets start hitting the shelves in April/May and get a newer Samsung then. Sorry to hear.

If you got the 5 year bestbuy (I did too) what is the concern and rush? I'm
Curious if you see something in the warranty I missed.

No-BestBuy will take care of it later on, but If I use the warranty to replace the TV then I'm out the warranty cost, kinda stupid to eat 500-700bucks on a TV that is just over a year old, if I get it replaced after the MFG warranty is gone. If I get Panasonic to replace under the MFG warranty then my BestBuy warranty will get prorated for how long I have had it. (IE if the warranty was 400 bucks for 4 years, and it was just almost a year old I would get around 300 bucks back.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrygeary View Post

I've seen pictures of this and I still don't understand what is happening. Is this another case of the glass and plasma display panel separating? Is the glass plus panel staying bonded together but warping outward at the sides? How does glass warp at room temperature without breaking? Did this happen overnight or gradually over some time? Confused.

It is the top glass pulling away. Maybe the glass is not 100% flat or something, but it was gradually. When I first got the TV, it was 100% fine, I checked for this issue. About a month in, I check again, and could see that on one side I could push the top glass back down, but no gap, well as of a few days ago I checked again, and I can see light coming out of the side of it. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekarita View Post

Really bummed to hear this.  Have you had the fan fix? When did it start?  Did it suddenly appear or was it gradual?  Any ideas as to why it might be happening?

Fan fix was done at the factory, it has a Oct. build date, and it was gradually. I think maybe the top glass is not flat, and also I have my TV on the wall and it is angled down, so maybe it's just how heavy the top layer of glass is, and it is pulling away from what they use to bound the glass together. (My issue is happening on the bottom, so I don't know if having the TV tilted down is a the issue or not, because one would think it would happen on the top first.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by eaayoung View Post

When someone else noted this issue, I inspected the corners of my set and found the outer layer could be pulled away just slightly with you finger nail. But when let go, it snaps back into place. Is this what your set is doing? I'm not sure what the outer layer is but suspect its either a protective layer or a filter. Appears to plastic and is flexible. Definitely not glass. Probably 1/32" thick.

you can see light/TV from the gap, with out pulling up on it, my issue does not snap back, kinda like the glue has given up and is not sticky, if I push it back down it does go back, but once I move my finger it pops back up.

post #8645 of 12245 Old 02-08-2014, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfajl77 View Post

What do you guys think?  Do any of you have ZTs that buzz to the point that you find it distracting?  If so, have you guys had any success at finding a solution?

Lower the contrast (or brightness?) setting and/or plug it into the wall instead of the UPS. (Those have reduced the buzzes for me (my UPS buzzes in sync with the tv)).
post #8646 of 12245 Old 02-08-2014, 12:52 PM

To each his own. I had a stand alone darbee and returned it. To me it was a cheap plastic device which made the picture appear unnaturally sharp. I agree with CNET on this one a 40 dollar funai performs as good as a 500 dollar player in reading signal. Its the addition of options you're paying for.

I looked at the bdt500 on amazon and its under review for whatever reason amazon won't sell only marketplace hmmm....
post #8647 of 12245 Old 02-08-2014, 01:00 PM
GC3
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

The leap comes from improper re-application of the back panel (or movement, inadvertent or otherwise, of the TV with the back panel removed) after completing the fan fix.

still not getting it, sorry...so..."wrongly" applying the fan fix leads to all the other major problems, microfractures, glass separation, what else?
post #8648 of 12245 Old 02-08-2014, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GC3 View Post

still not getting it, sorry...so..."wrongly" applying the fan fix leads to all the other major problems, microfractures, glass separation, what else?
Micro fractures of the glass seem to be linked with taking the back panel off and putting it back on while not getting the back flush/seated properly. then putting the screws back in tightening them down causes stress on the front glass to give way to the micro fractures.
vinnie97 likes this.
post #8649 of 12245 Old 02-08-2014, 01:26 PM

What Jason said. The service bulletin specifically states the fractures are a direct result of the back cover being applied incorrectly and subsequently only those who took the back panel off have this problem.
post #8650 of 12245 Old 02-08-2014, 01:29 PM

I want to point out that out of the 30000 plus units built only 4 are reporting on this thread with the fracture problem, and only a handful with the glass sticking out, which I really don't thing is an issue
post #8651 of 12245 Old 02-08-2014, 01:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantagesc View Post

At 75 hours of use, I went on a business trip. A family member watched a news channel with scrolling bars (even during commercials) for 10-15 hours, thinking that if the TV was turned off every 30 minutes or so, it would have a chance to rest. I have some pretty mondo IR right not, just hope it's not burn in. I hit it with the Disney WOW pixel flipper for 4 hours last night and the improvement was 50%, but it's not gone yet.
First, burn-in is very hard to get and it never improves. Second, there is no one to one relationship between the time it takes to get IR and the time it takes to remove IR. Third, here are some links that may help you.

Two Types of IR - Part I

Two Types of IR - Part II

Avoid and Remove IR.

A lot of people like the results they get with the Disney WoW pixel flipper. Running Pixar 1.78:1 aspect ratio movies set to repeat is also a popular method.
post #8652 of 12245 Old 02-08-2014, 02:21 PM

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

I think the confusion here lies in the description of the issue..

This is not the 'micro fracture issue', but a different issue where the front 'glass' seems to be curling up away from the TV.

So no, getting the fan fix probably doesn't cause this particular issue... but it does appear to cause the micro fracture issue.
post #8653 of 12245 Old 02-08-2014, 02:23 PM

Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaayoung View Post

When someone else noted this issue, I inspected the corners of my set and found the outer layer could be pulled away just slightly with you finger nail. But when let go, it snaps back into place. Is this what your set is doing? I'm not sure what the outer layer is but suspect its either a protective layer or a filter. Appears to plastic and is flexible. Definitely not glass. Probably 1/32" thick.

If that is the case, then perhaps it can be repaired, e.g., glued back in place at the edges. I wish Panasonic had some representative who could answer questions about these things so we wouldn't have to guess.
post #8654 of 12245 Old 02-08-2014, 02:24 PM
GC3
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekarita View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by humanvr4 View Post

Well one more Oct build 65" ZT60 is coming apart, where the glass joins the bezel. It lifts away from one of the corners. you can see the glass curve out and can see light between the glass and the bezel, Only had this junk for two months.

I sold my last TV so I could get the last and best Panasonic made, guess that is coming back to bit me. Only good new is BestBuy is willing to take back the TV and let me pick out something else, even with me having it for two months or so. It looks like my only option is to 1 live with it, or two join the Samsung f8500 club. I do have a 5 year warranty on it from best buy, but if I wait more then one year and have BestBuy replace it, I will be out my warrant. If I replace it now I will not be out anything. 

I don't know what to do next, part of me wants to try and superglue it or something back to together, but I think that might void any warranty I have left lol, I really don't want to replace it, but I think that is what is going to happen. Is the F8500 the only other TV in the same price point that can keep up with the ZT60? 
Really bummed to hear this.  Have you had the fan fix? When did it start?  Did it suddenly appear or was it gradual?  Any ideas as to why it might be happening?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason626 View Post

Micro fractures of the glass seem to be linked with taking the back panel off and putting it back on while not getting the back flush/seated properly. then putting the screws back in tightening them down causes stress on the front glass to give way to the micro fractures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oreb View Post

What Jason said. The service bulletin specifically states the fractures are a direct result of the back cover being applied incorrectly and subsequently only those who took the back panel off have this problem.

Yeah...I got all that...my observation was more like "how do you make leap from back panel to glass separation" as had been implied
post #8655 of 12245 Old 02-08-2014, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oreb View Post

The gap is not going to impact anything that's not even where the seal is and if dust gets in there it doesn't matter you glass is not coming "apart" stop freaking

I don't thing this is something that developed rather you bought it like that and just noticed

If your talking to me, then no. I checked out the TV when it was new and I am 100% sure it did not have it when it was new, or even when it was a month old, this is something new.

First when I got my TV, I knew what to look for and check out.

1- I checked the date, to see if I would have the fan fix, then checked to make sure I did have it.

2- Checked for the micro cracks that some people have gotten. 

3- Once it was on the wall I checked all around to make sure I did not have any gaps on the side of the screen and bottom. 

Fast forward to about 20-35 days old, someone posted about their chrome bezel around the TV not being installed right, after the fan fix and having bumps in the chrome bezel, and then someone posted about their ZT60 having a bump like that, from the factory. ( Some people thought this might have something to do with the micro cracking, since Panasonic release a tech bulletin about it. ) So again I check the TV for gaps and if my chrome ring was installed right, and I did not have the issue then. 

Now I do have the issue, there is no way I just no noticed it, if you know the type of person I am you would know I would have seen it and it would of been returned when my BestBuy had 5 of them in stock. It might not be a big issue for you, and I'm SURE not every ZT60 is going to have this issue, but what it does mean to me is my two month old TV is having a MFG warranty issue, and it might continue and get bigger and maybe even drop the front of the screen off, or hell it might stop and stay like it is for the rest of it's life, and if it did that I might be ok with it. I do know I paid MY money for a TV that should look new, and be able to hold together for at least 2 or 3 years, and this one is already starting to have an issue. Since BestBuy will let me return it, I'm going to do it while I can, and jump ship, If BestBuy still had a 65" ZT60 I would pick it up in a heart beat but they don't. I do know for sure it is going to kill my resale value of it, once it comes time to resell it for the next big hit.

/end rant lol.

post #8656 of 12245 Old 02-08-2014, 04:02 PM

Liked: 24
My zt60 shows a little seperation..Top corners ..not that bad at all.....hope it doesn't get worse. ...still breaking in with dnice slides
post #8657 of 12245 Old 02-08-2014, 04:06 PM

If my zt lasts 2 years before it starts falling apart I will be very pissed. Those are low expectations for the amount of money people dished out on this set. Hissing fans microfractures and now peeling glass what has pana come to... In any case it sounds like an MRA is in order for you
post #8658 of 12245 Old 02-08-2014, 04:56 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Well that's why enjoying it while you can is good! Then whit the extended warranty get a replacement if it break before three years!
post #8659 of 12245 Old 02-08-2014, 05:17 PM

How many if you have square trade warranties on your zt60????

Are they worth the 250??
post #8660 of 12245 Old 02-08-2014, 05:22 PM

FWIW, a few days ago I was at Best Buy and saw a ZT60 65" store display with the bottom left corner front surface noticeably separated. The set had about 2900 hours on it. Disappointing to say the least.
post #8661 of 12245 Old 02-08-2014, 05:27 PM

I just looked at my set and the top right corner is slightly separated (no light from tv can be seen). I got my tv in June. I would just attribute it to the natural wave of the glass panel. I don't know if this is what everyone is talking about.

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
Marantz AV8801
Marantz MM8077
Martin Logan Motion 30 Center Channel
Martin Logan Motion 40 Fronts/Rears
REL R-528 SE (2)
Oppo BDP-103D
Playstation 4
Furman ELITE-20 PF i Power Conditioner
post #8662 of 12245 Old 02-08-2014, 05:28 PM

Those of you who have reported large separation could you please post a picture so I can compare?

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
Marantz AV8801
Marantz MM8077
REL R-528 SE (2)
Oppo BDP-103D
Playstation 4
post #8663 of 12245 Old 02-08-2014, 05:34 PM

Dnice slides running. ..should pixel orbiter be on auto or on??
post #8664 of 12245 Old 02-08-2014, 05:35 PM

This is what mine looks like.

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
Marantz AV8801
Marantz MM8077
REL R-528 SE (2)
Oppo BDP-103D
Playstation 4
post #8665 of 12245 Old 02-08-2014, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by humanvr4 View Post

If your talking to me, then no. I checked out the TV when it was new and I am 100% sure it did not have it when it was new, or even when it was a month old, this is something new.

First when I got my TV, I knew what to look for and check out.

1- I checked the date, to see if I would have the fan fix, then checked to make sure I did have it.
2- Checked for the micro cracks that some people have gotten. 
3- Once it was on the wall I checked all around to make sure I did not have any gaps on the side of the screen and bottom. 

Fast forward to about 20-35 days old, someone posted about their chrome bezel around the TV not being installed right, after the fan fix and having bumps in the chrome bezel, and then someone posted about their ZT60 having a bump like that, from the factory. ( Some people thought this might have something to do with the micro cracking, since Panasonic release a tech bulletin about it. ) So again I check the TV for gaps and if my chrome ring was installed right, and I did not have the issue then. 

Now I do have the issue, there is no way I just no noticed it, if you know the type of person I am you would know I would have seen it and it would of been returned when my BestBuy had 5 of them in stock. It might not be a big issue for you, and I'm SURE not every ZT60 is going to have this issue, but what it does mean to me is my two month old TV is having a MFG warranty issue, and it might continue and get bigger and maybe even drop the front of the screen off, or hell it might stop and stay like it is for the rest of it's life, and if it did that I might be ok with it. I do know I paid MY money for a TV that should look new, and be able to hold together for at least 2 or 3 years, and this one is already starting to have an issue. Since BestBuy will let me return it, I'm going to do it while I can, and jump ship, If BestBuy still had a 65" ZT60 I would pick it up in a heart beat but they don't. I do know for sure it is going to kill my resale value of it, once it comes time to resell it for the next big hit.

/end rant lol.

Is there any possibility I could see a picture of it?

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
Marantz AV8801
Marantz MM8077
REL R-528 SE (2)
Oppo BDP-103D
Playstation 4
post #8666 of 12245 Old 02-08-2014, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMichael View Post

This is what mine looks like.

Mine is bigger then that, it is longer on both sides, and when the TV is on you can very easily  see light coming from it, that is how I noticed it in the first place. I will try and get a picture of it on tuesday when I'm back at home again. 

post #8667 of 12245 Old 02-08-2014, 05:48 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by amercnchopz34 View PostHow many if you have square trade warranties on your zt60???? Are they worth the 250??

Get it from Costco $90

post #8668 of 12245 Old 02-08-2014, 06:08 PM

That glass separation is scary, still think maybe it's related to a stress problem with wall mounting and using an ineffective adhesive that should have been tested more, either way I'm sure keeping an eye on mine and it's on a regular stand.

PS Matter of fact I believe both the micro fractures and the glass separation are both related in part to stress.
post #8669 of 12245 Old 02-08-2014, 06:13 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Get it from Costco $90

Yep. Three year warranty which kicks in after the Pana's warranty ends in 1 year.
But, be aware how the Square Trade warranty works. You can Google Square Trade to understand how the warranty works.
Not the same as a BB warranty. But a lot less expensive. Cheap insurance if you ask me. Perfect for what I was looking for.
post #8670 of 12245 Old 02-08-2014, 06:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by oreb View Post

I agree - never noticed until all this chatter - where one thing meets another - we might all be amazed how many things we could squeeze the tip of our fingernail into if we tried hard enough -

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 - Oppo BDP-103D - Panasonic DMP-BDT220 - Toshiba HD-DVD-3A - OPPO DV-981HD - Harmony 880

Onkyo TX-NR809 --- Definitive Technology - Studio Monitor 65 (2) - CS8040HD - Studio Monitor 45 (2) - Super Cube 6000
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65zt60 65 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60zt60 60 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page