Official ZT60 Owners Thread - Page 296 - AVS Forum
First ... 294  295  296 297  298  ... Last
Plasma Flat Panel Displays > Official ZT60 Owners Thread
vinnie97's Avatar vinnie97 02:52 PM 02-10-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by repete66211 View Post

You can get the same warranty--3 years beyond manufacturer--through Costco for $99.99 here. As always, read the fine print. Extended coverage is usually only a winner for those selling it, but it's not a bad idea with this unit. Unfortunately I didn't discover this option until after the 60 day window had passed.
Head's up: You can get a Mack warranty for not much more up to 9 months after purchase.

Thxtheater's Avatar Thxtheater 03:17 PM 02-10-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99 View Post

Y'all buying any extended warranties on these?

Normally I don't but for some reason this one is sticking in my mind as maybe I should.

When I registered the TV with Panasonic, a SquareTrade message came from Panasonic. $250 for four years (actually three beyond mfg warranty....).

I never, ever buy extended warranties. The stores makeup profit margins with the extended warranties. However, this is the one case where I did.

I got the BestBuy 5 year with the sole rationale that the sets are no longer available and that I got a great deal on it.
bob brennan's Avatar bob brennan 03:38 PM 02-10-2014
Quote:

Y'all buying any extended warranties on these?

Normally I don't but for some reason this one is sticking in my mind as maybe I should.

When I registered the TV with Panasonic, a SquareTrade message came from Panasonic. $250 for four years (actually three beyond mfg warranty....).

What do we think of the SquareTrade warranty that is on the Panasonic web page?
whoaru99's Avatar whoaru99 04:10 PM 02-10-2014
Yeah, what do you think of it?

Didn't have any extended warranty on my old Panasonic plasma, and it's been eight years and ~7,900 hours of absolutely zero problems with it. For some strange reason I feel it's pushing my luck to have two in a row that way, although there isn't any real basis to have those thoughts.
GC3's Avatar GC3 04:20 PM 02-10-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob brennan View Post

I thiink its dumb to pay $250 there when you can buy it through Costco for $99 (assuming you're a member)...
modeboy's Avatar modeboy 04:21 PM 02-10-2014
My new 65" ZT arrived today (3rd one) and in perfect working condition as far as I can tell. Just did a quick unboxing and power on test for delivery but everything looked good. I'm told it's an October build so should already have the fan fix, but I'll have to confirm that later (and figure out HOW to confirm that smile.gif )... Whew! I also briefly checked the front glass the corners and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary... although that layer does look extremely thin. Sorry to hear about those that are having separation issues.

One thing I do want to do is mount this thing on my wall. Would everyone suggest keeping the TV in an upright position when mounting the bracket to the back of the television? Also, I want to try and re-use the mount I am currently using with my 60" Kuro. I think it has enough adjust-ability in it for a 70" TV... Will have to double check. This is the mount I have: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0008GP880/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

JB
rifleman69's Avatar rifleman69 04:27 PM 02-10-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by modeboy View Post

My new 65" ZT arrived today (3rd one) and in perfect working condition as far as I can tell. Just did a quick unboxing and power on test for delivery but everything looked good. I'm told it's an October build so should already have the fan fix, but I'll have to confirm that later (and figure out HOW to confirm that smile.gif )... Whew! I also briefly checked the front glass the corners and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary... although that layer does look extremely thin. Sorry to hear about those that are having separation issues.

One thing I do want to do is mount this thing on my wall. Would everyone suggest keeping the TV in an upright position when mounting the bracket to the back of the television? Also, I want to try and re-use the mount I am currently using with my 60" Kuro. I think it has enough adjust-ability in it for a 70" TV... Will have to double check. This is the mount I have: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0008GP880/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

JB

Yes, keep it upright.
Thxtheater's Avatar Thxtheater 04:40 PM 02-10-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by modeboy View Post

JB

You should have no issues. Reference the mounting details and screw sizes in the user manual so you don't have any issues. The screws are metric.

As rifleman said, keep it upright since it's a Plasma.
kluken's Avatar kluken 04:42 PM 02-10-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by colnago View Post

Sorry to hear. FWIW, I watch CNBC for 10+ hours every time that I work from home, with no IR. Just curious, when you first received your set, did you watch with reduced contrast/brightness for the first 300 hours?
My VT50 had IR from CNBC and summer Olympics last year and BB swapped it out, I am paranoid now about logos and stationary bands, crawls. In openly noticed the IR with full screen slides. By the time BB swapped the set slides and screenwriter pie had gotten it about half gone. On my VT60 I have zoomed the image for damn NBC Olympic logo. If any IR occurs I will swap with my back up VT60 as that is just running slides only for first 400 hours until it gets calibrated.
kluken's Avatar kluken 04:49 PM 02-10-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob brennan View Post

So I like the extended warranty strictly to protect for a panel failure so that I can get my money back. That said I love BB warranty, white,expensive they are awesome. Unfortunately they did not have any VT60s left when my ZT got fractures. I have been researching warranties extensively, and best I can conclude is they all have limitations and outs, and from the reviews I have read Square Trade seems to be the best of the bunch, they too have limitations, but if you want coverage they seem to have better reviews. Do note that their limitations is that every repair is deducted from what you paid for the TV and so if you have several repairs you may wind up with no TV on only a small final payout of the TV. Other companies will give you a "comparable" replacement which can be refurbished.
vinnie97's Avatar vinnie97 05:11 PM 02-10-2014
I've heard Mack is the best, but it's really more a matter of picking your poison. I suppose that in part assuages my anxiety since I have a Mack warranty (all I've used in the past but given I've bought from brands that are historically the most reliable aka Pioneer, I've never had to make a claim).
amercnchopz34's Avatar amercnchopz34 05:24 PM 02-10-2014
Question. ..i got a 5 yr square trade warranty from amazon..200..is that 5 yr through them or 1 yr through panny and 4 years through square trade??
vinnie97's Avatar vinnie97 05:43 PM 02-10-2014
Can you link to the product page? They typically start after the manuf's warranty.
whoaru99's Avatar whoaru99 06:08 PM 02-10-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by GC3 View Post

I thiink its dumb to pay $250 there when you can buy it through Costco for $99 (assuming you're a member)...

And that's a pretty big assumption, although even paying the Costco membership seems it would still be less cost. Wonder if the coverage is same?
whoaru99's Avatar whoaru99 06:11 PM 02-10-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by amercnchopz34 View Post

Question. ..i got a 5 yr square trade warranty from amazon..200..is that 5 yr through them or 1 yr through panny and 4 years through square trade??

Says right on Amazon that it's 1 year mfg, 4 year SquareTrade. Don't want to sound too harsh, but didn't you read what you bought?
GC3's Avatar GC3 06:17 PM 02-10-2014
Quote:

And that's a pretty big assumption, although even paying the Costco membership seems it would still be less cost. Wonder if the coverage is same?

Square Trade is Square Trade....5 years total...
Thxtheater's Avatar Thxtheater 06:22 PM 02-10-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by kluken View Post

So I like the extended warranty strictly to protect for a panel failure so that I can get my money back. That said I love BB warranty, white,expensive they are awesome. Unfortunately they did not have any VT60s left when my ZT got fractures. I have been researching warranties extensively, and best I can conclude is they all have limitations and outs, and from the reviews I have read Square Trade seems to be the best of the bunch, they too have limitations, but if you want coverage they seem to have better reviews. Do note that their limitations is that every repair is deducted from what you paid for the TV and so if you have several repairs you may wind up with no TV on only a small final payout of the TV. Other companies will give you a "comparable" replacement which can be refurbished.

Kluken, what is it about the Best Buy warranty specifically that you like? It was more expensive than the square trade. I haven't compared the two. I never buy extended warranties so I'm curious why you like the Best Buy one so much.

Thanks!
vinnie97's Avatar vinnie97 06:24 PM 02-10-2014
Best Buy is the only warranty to cover burn-in, and I believe they are the most hassle-free. Should your TV develop a defect, you don't have to waste time with waiting around for repairs to be done. You can get a like-replacement right away if you so choose. I would have purchased their warranty if I wasn't so skint at the time (that being June 2013...I'm just now finishing payoff of the 0% APR balance).
kluken's Avatar kluken 06:28 PM 02-10-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by amercnchopz34 View Post

1 year manufacturer then 4 from square trade, if the manufacturer does not cover you first year or goes out of business square trade covers you. Also the square trade warranty via Amazon is for Amazon purchased TVs according to Square Trade. I called them 3 different times to ask and each person said same thing, Amazon Square Trade applies to Amazon sold TVs.
kluken's Avatar kluken 06:37 PM 02-10-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thxtheater View Post

Kluken, what is it about the Best Buy warranty specifically that you like? It was more expensive than the square trade. I haven't compared the two. I never buy extended warranties so I'm curious why you like the Best Buy one so much.

Thanks!

They cover IR and are very hassle free. I have had great success with BB and they were awesome about taking back my ZT with fractures, even through the pickup folks noticed the back panel had been removed. Yes they are expensive, but I believe the fact that they won their repair staff and sell the products as well gives them an edge. Also contrary to,what pup there's have dealt with I have had nothing, but great pre and post sale customer service from them. Bought a Galaxy Note 10.1 and just did not dig it and returned it hassle free. They were inquisitive as to what I thought about the experience. Every call to their toll free number has been met with gracious people that trip over themselves to apologize for any issues with the products or inconvenience.
Sonyboy's Avatar Sonyboy 06:52 PM 02-10-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by kluken View Post

They cover IR and are very hassle free. I have had great success with BB and they were awesome about taking back my ZT with fractures, even through the pickup folks noticed the back panel had been removed. Yes they are expensive, but I believe the fact that they won their repair staff and sell the products as well gives them an edge. Also contrary to,what pup there's have dealt with I have had nothing, but great pre and post sale customer service from them. Bought a Galaxy Note 10.1 and just did not dig it and returned it hassle free. They were inquisitive as to what I thought about the experience. Every call to their toll free number has been met with gracious people that trip over themselves to apologize for any issues with the products or inconvenience.

The reason's you have mentioned are why I am leaning towards keeping my geek squad warranty. I purchased the 5yr for $449 and while I don't normally purchase extended warranties,Idecided to go that route on the Zt60. Hearing about IR issues and such before my purchase steered me towards getting it. I can get the ST warranty through costco, but I think I like the idea of dealing with Bestbuy directly if something goes wrong. That $350 difference in price is not easy to ignore, but I feel a little more at ease with geeks squad and everything they cover. Plus I got my 60ZT60 for a killer price, so it made the warranty a little easier to swallow.
whoaru99's Avatar whoaru99 06:53 PM 02-10-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by GC3 View Post

Square Trade is Square Trade....5 years total...

I can add, at least as high as I have fingers, but I meant the details of what's covered.

On brief review, yeah, it looks like the policy coverage itself is one size fits all, relative to the type of device.

The next question is that the Costco warranty says they extend the mfg warranty up to 1 year. So, mfg 1 yr + Costco 1 yr + SquareTrade 3 years. Do you know if you have to be a Costco member throughout any or all of the warranty period once purchased, or once you bought the warranty you're covered for all of it continuing membership or not? Obviously one would be a member for a year, but beyond that is the point/question.
GC3's Avatar GC3 07:05 PM 02-10-2014
Quote:

I can add, at least as high as I have fingers, but I meant the details of what's covered.

On brief review, yeah, it looks like the policy coverage itself is one size fits all, relative to the type of device.

The next question is that the Costco warranty says they extend the mfg warranty up to 1 year. So, mfg 1 yr + Costco 1 yr + SquareTrade 3 years. Do you know if you have to be a Costco member throughout any or all of the warranty period once purchased, or once you bought the warranty you're covered for all of it continuing membership or not? Obviously one would be a member for a year, but beyond that is the point/question.

That's what I meant...coverage is standard. Costco membership required only at time of purchasing warranty. After warranty is registered, you go direct to SquareTrade with a claim. Display can be purchased at any authorized seller, warranty purchase must be within 60 days (I believe).
amercnchopz34's Avatar amercnchopz34 07:06 PM 02-10-2014
Yes I did....it says 5 yr thru them.....conflicting reports
Quote:

Says right on Amazon that it's 1 year mfg, 4 year SquareTrade. Don't want to sound too harsh, but didn't you read what you bought?

amercnchopz34's Avatar amercnchopz34 07:13 PM 02-10-2014
From Amazon site. ....

About this item
Features
5-year coverage from date of purchase: hardware and electronic failures
Free in-home service for TVs 37" and larger
Free 2-way shipping for smaller TV repairs
Your TV is fixed or you receive full replacement cost
Fully transferable with gifts. Cancel anytime, full refund in first 30 days.
Technical Details
Brand Name:SquareTradeModel:RD-LT3999N5E
Product Details
Manufacturer:SquareTradeManufacturer reference:RD-LT3999N5E
Thxtheater's Avatar Thxtheater 07:15 PM 02-10-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Best Buy is the only warranty to cover burn-in, and I believe they are the most hassle-free. Should your TV develop a defect, you don't have to waste time with waiting around for repairs to be done. You can get a like-replacement right away if you so choose. I would have purchased their warranty if I wasn't so skint at the time (that being June 2013...I'm just now finishing payoff of the 0% APR balance).

WOW. I had no idea it was that end to end in coverage. Thanks for that. No question it was expensive but that's worth it in the long run.

In general, I've seen Best Buy's focus on customer service and the knowledge of their sales staff noticeably increase over the past 12-18 months.
Axxion's Avatar Axxion 07:41 PM 02-10-2014
So effectively you can buy a tv, get best buy warranty, and say 4 1/2 years later when a acceptable replacement is out, go and burn something in the screen and get a full refund minus your insurance? Lol
GC3's Avatar GC3 07:49 PM 02-10-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Please provide a reference to support this specific extent of coverage?
vinnie97's Avatar vinnie97 07:49 PM 02-10-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxion View Post

So effectively you can buy a tv, get best buy warranty, and say 4 1/2 years later when a acceptable replacement is out, go and burn something in the screen and get a full refund minus your insurance? Lol
LOL...if you were dishonest, yea. wink.gif With how easy it is to get IR on these, I hope Best Buy has anticipated that possibility (I think they have given the cost).
vinnie97's Avatar vinnie97 07:53 PM 02-10-2014
Tags: Panasonic Viera Tc P65zt60 65 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60zt60 60 Inch Plasma Tv
First ... 294  295  296 297  298  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop