post #10981 of 12730 Old 03-26-2014, 04:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

314pionews.promo_.jpg?itok=Jbb9rX_5

In a surprise announcement, Pioneer revealed that it will re-enter the TV manufacturing arena. No, it won’t resume building its world-beating Kuro plasmas. But it will make LED-backlit, 1080p, Wi-Fi streaming sets of 55, 46, and 40 inches. Dixons Retail has an exclusive agreement to develop and sell Pioneer TVs in European markets through Currys & PC World stores. No word on whether Pioneer would resume making TVs for North America and other markets. Pioneer quit the television business in 2009 and licensed its Elite TV brand to Sharp in 2011.

And I just heard that they landed a man on the moon! biggrin.gif

This is old news, read about it the first time about 6 months ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10982 of 12730 Old 03-26-2014, 04:42 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by improwise View Post

....This is old news, read about it the first time about 6 months ago.

And i believe Pioneer originally announced this plan some years ago, not long after they ended plasma production.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gallery -
post #10983 of 12730 Old 03-26-2014, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

And i believe Pioneer originally announced this plan some years ago, not long after they ended plasma production.
And it was mentioned earlier today.

post #10984 of 12730 Old 03-26-2014, 09:33 PM

Liked: 19
If I remember correctly, Pioneers involvment wasn't much more than licensing their brand to these TVs.
post #10985 of 12730 Old 03-27-2014, 04:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by improwise View Post

If I remember correctly, Pioneers involvment wasn't much more than licensing their brand to these TVs.
Correct as it pertains to the Sharp Elite.

post #10986 of 12730 Old 03-27-2014, 07:31 AM

Liked: 99
Hey random question as usual. I am
Running slides and the buzz is obviously preset right now. I have the set plugged into a surge protector. Just a simple surge protector. My question is should I be using a specific surge protector? The TV outputs a lot of voltage..so I guess I'm asking if I should buy a surge protector that matches the voltage of the TV or is a simple surge protector ok? I will never plug directly into the wall but that may reduce the buzzing noise but it's also not safe to do too much risk of a surge.

What type of surge protector is best for the 60ZT60?
post #10987 of 12730 Old 03-27-2014, 07:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeLfMaDe111985 View Post

Running slides and the buzz is obviously preset right now. I have the set plugged into a surge protector. Just a simple surge protector. My question is should I be using a specific surge protector? The TV outputs a lot of voltage..so I guess I'm asking if I should buy a surge protector that matches the voltage of the TV or is a simple surge protector ok? I will never plug directly into the wall but that may reduce the buzzing noise but it's also not safe to do too much risk of a surge.

Buzzing from the set has nothing to do with matching the surge protector to the voltage. Buzzing is a known characteristic of the set—especially when displaying bright content. What may be a contributing factor is something known as DC offset, which will cause buzzing with transformers. You do need a specific DC Offset suppressor. The only one that I know currently being manufactured is by Emotiva. They have two surge protectors under accessories. You want the two-outlet one. If you read the description, it specifically states that it addresses DC Offset. The only other company that made a surge protector that dealt with DC Offset was PS Audio. They had a product called the Hum Buster, but I believe it's been discontinued.

It should be noted that DC offset on the electrical lines in your home can have many causes. Dimmers, microwaves, etc. are some of the primary culprits. Sometimes, it's also the combination of things added together. You can pay $2,000 or more and still not get a surge protector that deals with DC Offset. And, even an AC regenerator does not address DC offset. I have a PS Audio Humbuster at my house because I do have lots of dimmers. I hadn't thought to try it on the ZT60 until your post. I do notice the occasional buzzing when nothing is audibly playing and it does get louder on bright scenes.

post #10988 of 12730 Old 03-27-2014, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

This is the product you want to try to address DC Offset: http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/accessories/products/cmx2

Here's the description of the product:
Quote:
The CMX-2 offers a solution to a less-familiar, common problem - DC offset on the AC power line. DC offset is usually the result of unbalanced loads or by flaws in the power distribution system itself. It can cause DC current flow in the transformers that power your audio equipment, making them run hotter, produce more mechanical hum, and, in extreme cases, even potentially causing permanent damage. In addition to removing line noise, the CMX-2 also totally eliminates this annoying and potentially damaging problem as well.
The CMX-2 delivers clean power, free of high-frequency line noise and potentially audible DC offsets to your audio components. It also continuously monitors your AC power line wiring integrity and alerts you to common fault conditions like open grounds and reversed lines.
Constructed from premium components, the CMX-2 utilizes our exclusive Power Direct Connect™ mounting system, which connects the commercial grade outlet directly to the high current circuit board by the shortest possible path, eliminating power robbing resistive losses and other problems caused by less reliable and robust wiring techniques. It also uses top grade common mode and differential mode L-C filtering to reduce oreliminate all types of high-frequency noise.

FEATURES

Ideal accessory for high performance electronics.
Precision DC offset eliminator.
High-quality common mode and differential mode L-C noise filtering.
Continuous line-status monitoring - provides continuous real-time indicators that show the status of Hot, Neutral, and Ground lines.
Power Direct Connect™ mounting system, which connects the outlets directly to the circuit board.
Premium high-quality components and a heavy-duty double sided FR4 circuit board with high current paths on both sides.
Two commercial grade AC outlets.
Detachable IEC high current, 14 gauge, 2 meter power cord included.
High reliability resettable magnetic circuit breaker.
Constructed from machined aluminum.
Can be mounted vertically or horizontally.

post #10989 of 12730 Old 03-27-2014, 07:53 AM

Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaffeen View Post

I am curious if anyone here has used the "Mirroring" feature on the ZT60 (available in Apps)?

Evidently, from what I have learned this is actually Miracast technology and can *only* be used with certain Android devices. I was thinking of getting an Android device in order to use this functionality. My understanding is that this will result in being able to project any video/audio from the device to the TV screen. I am considering getting an HTC One phone for this purpose - I've read there are problems with Nexus tablets.

Does anyone use this functionality? Which Android device are you using for this? Does this provide a decent viewing/listening experience and are there any limitations you have encountered?

Any info appreciated.

While I've been able to get my Galaxy S4, and my friends Galaxy S Light to stream the "phonetop" to the ZT60 via wireless, has anyone been able to get a Windows laptop to connect? Supposedly some Win 8.1 laptops support Miracast,

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/project-wireless-screen-miracast

...as the ZT60 does not appear to support WiDi, and while I can get the TV to confirm that my laptop is trying to connect, and asks me if I want to allow the connection, the laptop is prompting me to enter the TV's WPS PIN. Unfortunately, the ZT's configurable WPS PIN, found under ">Networking >TV as access point" does not work, nor do the typical default BT PINs, etc. (e.g. 1234, 0000, 1111...). Another sticking point is that the TV does not display its required WPS PIN when the phone attempts to connect, which could mean that it is not required, yet Windows will not let me proceed without entering one.

FWIW, Panasonic support told me, "The only way to use the TV as a monitor is with a cable", even after I told her I was streaming my phone's display via wireless.

rolleyes.gif
post #10990 of 12730 Old 03-27-2014, 08:02 AM

Liked: 42
Quote:

FWIW, I'm using these...but not to manage "buzzing" on my TV, as much as I got it to protect/reduce noise coming through my tube amp/pre:

Furman PST-8D

post #10991 of 12730 Old 03-27-2014, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colnago View Post

FWIW, I'm using these...but not to manage "buzzing" on my TV, as much as I got it to protect/reduce noise coming through my tube amp/pre:

Furman PST-8D

Furman units are among the best in the business for surge and line conditioning. I'm not aware of any Furman units that handle DC offset. It's unfortunate because I'm a really, really big fan of Furman products.

post #10992 of 12730 Old 03-27-2014, 09:31 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

Usually a non-tilting mount will be thinner than a tilting mount so as long as your eyes at even with the center of the screen you probably don't need tilting.
On all my installs i use two 270-degree Monoprice #3850 angle adapters on each HDMI input to redirect the cables so i don't have to bend them. I also use them on various other devices like my Tivo and AV Receiver and Darbee etc.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1403635/official-panasonic-gt50-series-discussion-thread-no-street-price-talk/2700_60#post_22205675

Brilliant! I have the Monoprice 24 AWG HDMIs and they were a pain to route without sticking out the side.

Symmetry is the most boring and unimaginative form of balance.
post #10993 of 12730 Old 03-27-2014, 10:41 AM
GC3
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 48
reference ^^^^^

If you are only using one HDMI input, then you can get by with one of these:

which comes in either 90 or 270 degree versions (i.e., effectively facing up or down)

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=104&cp_id=10419&cs_id=1041913&p_id=4859&seq=1&format=2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dajmacd View Post

Brilliant! I have the Monoprice 24 AWG HDMIs and they were a pain to route without sticking out the side.
post #10994 of 12730 Old 03-28-2014, 05:53 AM

I plan on buying a bunch of these cause they are not expensive at all...but I'm looking for something similar. I like the swivel adapter but any other suggestions?

I have never bought or even looked into these before so I apologize for my noob post. Is a 90 degree or 270 degree adapter better for the ZT?

With there only being 3 HDMI ports, what is the best product to buy to connect multiple ports, say you 5 devices to plug in but only 3 ports. I have my BD player, ps3, Xbox 360, and Apple TV. Eventually the ps3 and 360 will be gone and replaced with X1 and ps4. Any with a HDMI adapter do they all display on the same input?

I am looking at these two. One is 35$ and the other is 19$. Here's the links.

19$:
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011001&p_id=8202&seq=1&format=2

35$:
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=6259&seq=1&format=2

I think I might grab the 35$ one In case I get more products I can have more inputs with spending more for another.
post #10995 of 12730 Old 03-28-2014, 06:14 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Do any of those Hdmi adapters degrade the overall picture quality in any way?
post #10996 of 12730 Old 03-28-2014, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVKIK View Post

In going to grab the 19$ one because not only is it a mini switch (more convenient) plus it supports 1080p and 3D inputs and wi output the same. They do note there may be a loss in signal, so Monoprice recommends a 24AWG cable for output.
post #10997 of 12730 Old 03-28-2014, 06:59 AM

Liked: 17

Got these awesome cables on Amazon that include right angle adapters and cable ties.  Can't get a better deal anywhere!  Especially for reinforced cables.  They really are very nice. They are the only ones I'm using now.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BEJDGOS/ref=oh_details_o08_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

post #10998 of 12730 Old 03-28-2014, 07:05 AM

Edit: I am going to copy what Randy did on the picture he postedz grab 6 270 degree angle HDMI port savers.

Not to get into stand talk but this was priced well and rated well so I grabbed it. Was 150$ when I bought now it's 200$.

Here's the link in case anyone else needs a good simple stand.
http://m.bestbuy.com/m/e/product/detail.jsp?skuId=9985441&pid=1218205764779

Pretty solid stand but I'm wondering if I should grab some supports for the middle
Or just modify some wood poles and put them in the middle opening to give some extra support so it doesn't bow or you think that's overkill. I had to piece this thing together (with screws) so it's sturdy but it is not one solid piece it had to be put together so I'm hoping it holds up, don't wanna find my set on the ground one morning.
post #10999 of 12730 Old 03-28-2014, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

With there only being 3 HDMI ports, what is the best product to buy to connect multiple ports, say you 5 devices to plug in but only 3 ports. I have my BD player, ps3, Xbox 360, and Apple TV. Eventually the ps3 and 360 will be gone and replaced with X1 and ps4. Any with a HDMI adapter do they all display on the same input?
The best product to serve as and HDMI switch is an AVR. Not only does it allow you to run multiple HDMI sources to your ZT, it also serves as an amplifier for your surround sound speakers. If you have a tv as nice as this there really is no excuse not to have proper audio to go with it.
GC3 and htwaits like this.

post #11000 of 12730 Old 03-28-2014, 11:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by repete66211 View Post

The best product to serve as and HDMI switch is an AVR. Not only does it allow you to run multiple HDMI sources to your ZT, it also serves as an amplifier for your surround sound speakers. If you have a tv as nice as this there really is no excuse not to have proper audio to go with it.

^Agreed. Dolby Labs says sound is 50% of the home theater experience.

I understand some are constrained by room size but the movie experience is not the same without HD sound.

selfmade, get yourself a proper pre-amp or AVR. smile.gif

Pioneer PDP-5071HD, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Denon 3311CI, Oppo BDP-93, Emotiva XPA-5, Definitive Mythos ST, Mythos 8, Gem XL, SVS SB-13 Ultra
post #11001 of 12730 Old 03-28-2014, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Quote:

Edit: I am going to copy what Randy did on the picture he postedz grab 6 270 degree angle HDMI port savers.

Not to get into stand talk but this was priced well and rated well so I grabbed it. Was 150$ when I bought now it's 200$.

Here's the link in case anyone else needs a good simple stand.
http://m.bestbuy.com/m/e/product/detail.jsp?skuId=9985441&pid=1218205764779

Pretty solid stand but I'm wondering if I should grab some supports for the middle
Or just modify some wood poles and put them in the middle opening to give some extra support so it doesn't bow or you think that's overkill. I had to piece this thing together (with screws) so it's sturdy but it is not one solid piece it had to be put together so I'm hoping it holds up, don't wanna find my set on the ground one morning.

Do you ever stop worrying about the "what if." The stand should have clearly stated what it was designed to hold for weight. Assuming you didn't exceed that weight limit and put it together correctly you should be good to move on to the next possible event - ceiling falls in? Seriously, you could reinforce the thing with steel, but there is always the chance (remote, small, highly unlikely) that it could fail. I would be more concerned about what movie I am watching on my kick ass display tonight personally smile.gif

P.S. Is that a dead pixel I see in your photo biggrin.gif
vinnie97 and Denniswrly like this.

Panasonic 60VT60 (cal by DNice)
Denon 5200 w/ Outlaw 2200 Amps (3)
Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2s F/R & Horizon w/ RAAL Center; Sierra 1s Surrounds; HTM-200s Heights and PSB S5 Rear Surrounds; Dual SVS subs
Oppo 103; Onkyo HD-DVD; Apple TV & Roku Stick
post #11002 of 12730 Old 03-28-2014, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post

Do you ever stop worrying about the "what if." The stand should have clearly stated what it was designed to hold for weight. Assuming you didn't exceed that weight limit and put it together correctly you should be good to move on to the next possible event - ceiling falls in? Seriously, you could reinforce the thing with steel, but there is always the chance (remote, small, highly unlikely) that it could fail. I would be more concerned about what movie I am watching on my kick ass display tonight personally smile.gif

Only reason I mentioned support poles was because some of the stuff I had bought with shelving like mine came with them. Helps the middle not bow downward but I am guessing the way this thing is put together it won't need them. The stand holds 125 pounds the TV I believe is 100? Maybe only 90 pounds with the stand for the 60". Not sure though I had to read the manual again.

As far as the adapters I'm having trouble deciding between a "swivel adapter" or just a 270 degree adapter (non swivel). I was originally going to connect the swivel to the 270 degree port saver but I feel that's too much mess and unnecessary. I have AV On the right and left of the TV.

Also I came across two HDMI switches as well. One is 25$ and is a 3x1 HDMI switch with Built in Equalizer (not sure what that means it said something about an amplifier and giving the fullest strength)
Or
For 19$ 3x1 HDMI Switch (same specs but no equalizer).

All from Monoprice of course but don't want to buy more port savers than I needed.
post #11003 of 12730 Old 03-28-2014, 12:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVKIK View Post

With HDMI, every connection is a place where problems can occur. With any setup, if it works you are fine. If it doesn't, then you have to take into account that the problem could be in any device, connection, or cable in the signal path.

When or if you do have a problem, the first step in diagnosis should be to reduce the number of HDMI connection points. If that works, then add connections until you find the problem.

In general, HDMI signal paths do not degrade. They do get to a point where they don't work. The symptoms are not degraded sound or video, but major failures like sparkles over the entire screen, gaps in audio/video (repeated handshake requests) and no signal at all.

Calibration Resources:

post #11004 of 12730 Old 03-28-2014, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyNurse View Post

^Agreed. Dolby Labs says sound is 50% of the home theater experience.

I understand some are constrained by room size but the movie experience is not the same without HD sound.

selfmade, get yourself a proper pre-amp or AVR. smile.gif

Soon Daniel-san for me, for now I'll just live with the speakers cranked up on the tv for now. Sound makes it better for damn sure, but that's a whole other cost/location issue for many people.
post #11005 of 12730 Old 03-28-2014, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^Indeed, 5.1 can create its own set of problems, but get two chennels of proper audio at the very least.
Jason626 likes this.

post #11006 of 12730 Old 03-28-2014, 02:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman69 View Post

Soon Daniel-san for me, for now I'll just live with the speakers cranked up on the tv for now. Sound makes it better for damn sure, but that's a whole other cost/location issue for many people.
[

Quote:

^^^Indeed, 5.1 can create its own set of problems, but get two chennels of proper audio at the very least.

Agree - Sadly the VT's have superior speakers to the ZT - thought was that anyone buying a ZT would opt for an AVR - If cost is an issue you can put together a simple 2 channel system for $200 to $ 250. The improve over the horrible ZT speakers would be phenomenal

http://store.sony.com/2-channel-hi-fi-receiver-zid27-STRDH130/cat-27-catid-All-Speakers-and-Stereo-Components

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_022RS201/Yamaha-R-S201.html?tp=47041&awkw=62352983665&awat=pla&awnw=g&awcr=33878937385&awdv=c

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=109&cp_id=10904&cs_id=1090407&p_id=8251&seq=1&format=2

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=109&cp_id=10904&cs_id=1090407&p_id=10532&seq=1&format=2

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 - Oppo BDP-103D - Panasonic DMP-BDT220 - Toshiba HD-DVD-3A - OPPO DV-981HD - Harmony 880
Onkyo TX-NR809 --- Definitive Technology - Studio Monitor 65 (2) - CS8040HD - Studio Monitor 45 (2) - Super Cube 6000
post #11007 of 12730 Old 03-28-2014, 03:12 PM
Advanced Member

For those of you looking for additional options on the ZT60, you can use couplers (I do), flexible HDMI cables, or you can use HDMI port savers.

HDMI port savers are high-speed certified HDMI extenders that have high-flexibility and will allow you to bend the cable to your needs without stressing the HDMI cable that runs between your source or AVR to the display.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=104&cp_id=10419&cs_id=1041913&p_id=2891&seq=1&format=2

I've had good luck with these port savers where I've had situations (like TVs) where I've needed high flex for an HDMI cable but don't want to strain my main cable.

post #11008 of 12730 Old 03-28-2014, 03:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Quote:

Agreed. No TV speakers are going to deliver high quality sound that will give the HD audio codecs their due. Your only choices are relative. It's either going to be bad or very bad. Unfortunately, it's all about physics.

If you're constrained for spacing, then look at a sound bar. That's my least-favorite option, but will be a noticeable improvement over the TV speakers.

Next, I'd suggest looking as the others have said to a two-channel option. Yes, you can get decent to very good sound from some very inexpensive two-channel setups. If you go with a two-channel setup, you ideally want to add an AVR into the mix and that adds cost. However, you also get more features, down-mixing, processing, room correction, switching, scaling, and more as a side benefit.

Finally, you can go all out with a 5.1 or 7.1 system. I'd suggest looking at what you're really after, looking at your space constraints (if any), looking at your budget and then making a move.

post #11009 of 12730 Old 03-28-2014, 03:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob brennan View Post

Quote:

[

Quote:

Agree - Sadly the VT's have superior speakers to the ZT - thought was that anyone buying a ZT would opt for an AVR - If cost is an issue you can put together a simple 2 channel system for $200 to $ 250. The improve over the horrible ZT speakers would be phenomenal

http://store.sony.com/2-channel-hi-fi-receiver-zid27-STRDH130/cat-27-catid-All-Speakers-and-Stereo-Components

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_022RS201/Yamaha-R-S201.html?tp=47041&awkw=62352983665&awat=pla&awnw=g&awcr=33878937385&awdv=c

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=109&cp_id=10904&cs_id=1090407&p_id=8251&seq=1&format=2

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=109&cp_id=10904&cs_id=1090407&p_id=10532&seq=1&format=2
Or for another $100 get a 5.1 AVR in this range which will allow you to build up to a 5.1 surround system. tongue.gif

For a ZT owner, it should be doable one way or another. wink.gif

Calibration Resources:

post #11010 of 12730 Old 03-28-2014, 09:06 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post

Please don't get him started. Self has made tremendous strides!
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65zt60 65 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60zt60 60 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page