AVS Forum banner
1M views 15K replies 796 participants last post by  fmalczewski 
#1 ·
Well mine is arriving in less than 30 hours and no one has started the thread so I figure I might as well go ahead and do it!

Welcome to the official owners thread for the Panasonic ZT60.

Lets see some pictures from the early owners and initial thoughts.

Reactions: Here2Learn
#7,383 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by music_to_my_ear  /t/1474480/official-zt60-owners-thread/7350#post_24249327 This was a pretty cool article found on the Panasonic website about the development of the ZT60 from the engineers themselves  http://panasonic.net/avc/viera/people_and_passion_2013/zt60.html
So sad they are out of Plasma, is the fan noise after a few hours of playing or immediate?

#7,385 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman69  /t/1474480/official-zt60-owners-thread/7380#post_24251248

Bueller? Seriously, if you think the whites look yellow, why not buy the f8500?

Because I had heard how great the zt is in dark rooms....8 x 10 mancave.....one window...pretty dark

I just thought that u can dial that up..make whites look white...have a chance to get a zt on warranty swap also i can get a f8500.....gift cards....just want to make the right call

I love styling and black levels on zt love brightness on f8500

#7,387 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan  /t/1474480/official-zt60-owners-thread/7300_100#post_24250605

..pgrading the entire "guts" with latest Oppo, NuForce preamp/processor and a new phono pre-amp to play some of my 2,000 LPs. 

What speed is ideal/necessary for best Netflix, et. al. streaming. I'm at 16 up and 7 down, seems slow to me. 

"16 up and 7 down" seems "backwards". That said, if you are connecting via WiFi, you may not be utilizing the full bandwidth on a lesser router. My "original" FIOS router is pulling down my 50Mb/25Mb circuit via wired however the WiFi was only good for 15Mbs down at best. Just "added" a new router, for LAN, and now using FIOS router as the internet jump point, my WiFi speed tests are upwards of 58Mb/36Mb.

P.S. - Vinyl is nothing without tubes.

From here:

http://gigaom.com/2013/09/26/netflix-expands-super-hd-and-3-d-streaming-to-all-of-its-members/

"Prepare for your Netflix streams to look better: Netflix is making its Super HD video quality available to all of its members. All members will also have access to 3D titles on Netflix. Both 3D and Super HD were previously only available to members whose ISPs peered with Netflix or placed the company’s Open Connect caching hardware within their networks.

Super HD streams are essentially 1080p HD streams with less compression, which should make for a better picture quality. Netflix recommends that members have at least 7 Mbps of bandwidth available for best results, but the company also serves a less-demanding Super HD version that only requires around 5 Mbps of bandwidth. 3D streams can require up to 12 Mbps of bandwidth, according to Netflix.

Netflix’s 3D catalog is thought to be small, but the company has been looking to offer higher-quality HD streams for a substantial number of the movies and TV shows it has been adding to its catalog, and obviously Netflix-exclusive content like House of Cards is available in Super HD as well.

Netflix first launched these higher-bitrate HD streams in January, and at the time only made it available to customers whose ISPs were using Open Connect. Customers without access to Super HD and 3D streaming were encouraged to contact their ISP and ask for it."

#7,388 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by amercnchopz34  /t/1474480/official-zt60-owners-thread/7380#post_24251448

Because I had heard how great the zt is in dark rooms....8 x 10 mancave.....one window...pretty dark

I just thought that u can dial that up..make whites look white...have a chance to get a zt on warranty swap of f8500...gift cards....just want to make the right call

I love styling and black levels on zt love brightness on f8500

The ZT is actually better for bright rooms. If you want the dark tv, buy the VT or stick with the f8500.

#7,391 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by colnago  /t/1474480/official-zt60-owners-thread/7380#post_24251545

"16 up and 7 down" seems "backwards". That said, if you are connecting via WiFi, you may not be utilizing the full bandwidth on a lesser router. My "original" FIOS router is pulling down my 50Mb/25Mb circuit via wired however the WiFi was only good for 15Mbs down at best. Just "added" a new router, for LAN, and now using FIOS router as the internet jump point, my WiFi speed tests are upwards of 58Mb/36Mb.

From here:

http://gigaom.com/2013/09/26/netflix-expands-super-hd-and-3-d-streaming-to-all-of-its-members/

"Prepare for your Netflix streams to look better: Netflix is making its Super HD video quality available to all of its members. All members will also have access to 3D titles on Netflix. Both 3D and Super HD were previously only available to members whose ISPs peered with Netflix or placed the company’s Open Connect caching hardware within their networks.

Super HD streams are essentially 1080p HD streams with less compression, which should make for a better picture quality. Netflix recommends that members have at least 7 Mbps of bandwidth available for best results, but the company also serves a less-demanding Super HD version that only requires around 5 Mbps of bandwidth. 3D streams can require up to 12 Mbps of bandwidth, according to Netflix.

Netflix’s 3D catalog is thought to be small, but the company has been looking to offer higher-quality HD streams for a substantial number of the movies and TV shows it has been adding to its catalog, and obviously Netflix-exclusive content like House of Cards is available in Super HD as well.

Netflix first launched these higher-bitrate HD streams in January, and at the time only made it available to customers whose ISPs were using Open Connect. Customers without access to Super HD and 3D streaming were encouraged to contact their ISP and ask for it."
It appears we have the same FIOS setup. I did a side by side. While I'm paying for 50 down, 25 up, my wifi router supplied by FIOS delivers only a little less than half that. Wired is more than double that amount. Should I request a newer vintage router from FIOS or am I never going to get the needed bandwidth by wifi for my Netflix streaming. It's a nuisance to get a long ethernet cable to the tv.

#7,392 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by colnago  /t/1474480/official-zt60-owners-thread/7380#post_24251545

So does FIOS have better wifi routers than mine which is only providing around 18 meg down and 10 meg up when we pay for 50 down and 25 up? Wired speeds seem to be at the claimed or better rate. It's just a nuisance to run a longer ethernet cable to the tv. My netflix streamed through the TV app hiccups and burps more often than I'd like:)

#7,393 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma  /t/1474480/official-zt60-owners-thread/7320#post_24247138

That's a fact, I know we only have 5----65ZT60 left, 60ZT60 are not so bad.....

Now you have no more than 4 65's left - I just bought one from ya today!
Thanks Chris!

6020FD owner here, gonna give that one to Grandma. I'm really looking forward to the Panny!

Jason

#7,394 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidW1820  /t/1474480/official-zt60-owners-thread/7300_100#post_24251837

So does FIOS have better wifi routers than mine which is only providing around 18 meg down and 10 meg up when we pay for 50 down and 25 up? Wired speeds seem to be at the claimed or better rate. It's just a nuisance to run a longer ethernet cable to the tv. My netflix streamed through the TV app hiccups and burps more often than I'd like:)

Not sure what Verizon has nowadays regarding hardware, and better WiFi speeds, but I have one of the combination Modem/Routers they deployed when FIOS first started rolling out. I didn't want to make it too complicated, so I just bought a new router, and connected its WAN port to the existing FIOS router's LAN port. WiFi/LAN connections are all managed by newer wireless N/ac router, with the FIOS router just acting as gateway.

If you are using WPA for security, you can try setting it to AES vs. TKIP...AES should run a little faster. FWIW, the ZT60 is connecting on the 5gHz N/ac wireless network vs. 2.4gHz b/g (new router breaks it up into different SSIDs). That said, while trying to watch yesterday during the snow-in, my speeds would not allow for anything over 480p as the day wore on...and most likely more people watching Netflix. As always, YMMV.

#7,395 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by amercnchopz34  /t/1474480/official-zt60-owners-thread/7300_100#post_24251636

Not sure I understand. .i thought the f8500 was for bright rooms and zt and vt60 were better in dark rooms??

The ZT is "better" for bright rooms, in that it does not reflect as much ambient light as the VT's more "glossy" screen. However the VT supposedly has more light output from the panel. So the VT would be "better" in a darker room as you can save money on a panel that the same PQ as the ZT, but where sunlight/windows/etc will not be an issue. Pick your poison.

#7,396 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by colnago  /t/1474480/official-zt60-owners-thread/7380#post_24251911

Not sure what Verizon has nowadays regarding hardware, and better WiFi speeds, but I have one of the combination Modem/Routers they deployed when FIOS first started rolling out. I didn't want to make it too complicated, so I just bought a new router, and connected its WAN port to the existing FIOS router's LAN port. WiFi/LAN connections are all managed by newer wireless N/ac router, with the FIOS router just acting as gateway.

If you are using WPA for security, you can try setting it to AES vs. TKIP...AES should run a little faster. FWIW, the ZT60 is connecting on the 5gHz N/ac wireless network vs. 2.4gHz b/g (new router breaks it up into different SSIDs). That said, while trying to watch yesterday during the snow-in, my speeds would not allow for anything over 480p as the day wore on...and most likely more people watching Netflix. As always, YMMV.
What city are you in? I'm up in Boston. I just figured FIOS has gradually upgraded their router wifi capability and speed as the FIOS service itself now offers more speed and bandwidth than when it first rolled out. If it turns out the only way to get 50 meg speeds via wifi is to buy your own, I'll have to look into that.

#7,397 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by myared  /t/1474480/official-zt60-owners-thread/7380#post_24251693

If I'm not mistaken, VE checks the TVs for any defects first, including fan noise before shipping...

I was told that they only inspect/open the box if you pay to have it calibrated in the store. I contemplated doing that, but I decided to wait, run slides at home, and have someone come to my place to calibrate it. Maybe she's wrong..?

#7,398 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by colnago  /t/1474480/official-zt60-owners-thread/7380#post_24251925

The ZT is "better" for bright rooms, in that it does not reflect as much ambient light as the VT's more "glossy" screen. However the VT supposedly has more light output from the panel. So the VT would be "better" in a darker room as you can save money on a panel that the same PQ as the ZT, but where sunlight/windows/etc will not be an issue. Pick your poison.
I second colnago's analysis. I sprung for the ZT because I have an extremely bright room without the blinds drawn. I preferred the ZT over the 8500 for a variety of reasons. But for most scenarios, the consensus is that the brighter the room, the more appropriate the 8500 is, up to the point where you should consider an LCD. Most people looking at my room at noon on a sunny day with naked windows would say LCD or nothing! I decided on good blinds instead. After dinner time it's all moot anyway.

#7,399 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidW1820  /t/1474480/official-zt60-owners-thread/7300_100#post_24251935

What city are you in? I'm up in Boston. I just figured FIOS has gradually upgraded their router wifi capability and speed as the FIOS service itself now offers more speed and bandwidth than when it first rolled out. If it turns out the only way to get 50 meg speeds via wifi is to buy your own, I'll have to look into that.

Again, not sure what Verizon is offering, as I was going to go with a 3rd party vendor anyway, but I have the Actiontec 624 or 614 or whatever. I did have an issue with speeds and billing with VZ when they kept bumping up their lowest tiered FIOS plans. I was paying for 10/2, and was told of the mandatory speed and rate increase to 15/5, and a year later I just happened to do a speed test, via wired, and I was still on 10/2. Put in a service call, and rates went even higher than published rates. Took 6 mos. to straighten it out.

But to be safe, just buy a newer router from Linksys, Netgear, or TP-Link, and connect it to the existing FIOS router...essentially using the FIOS router as a modem.

#7,400 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by colnago  /t/1474480/official-zt60-owners-thread/7380#post_24251956

Again, not sure what Verizon is offering, as I was going to go with a 3rd party vendor anyway, but I have the Actiontec 624 or 614 or whatever. I did have an issue with speeds and billing with VZ when they kept bumping up their lowest tiered FIOS plans. I was paying for 10/2, and was told of the mandatory speed and rate increase to 15/5, and a year later I just happened to do a speed test, via wired, and I was still on 10/2. Put in a service call, and rates went even higher than published rates. Took 6 mos. to straighten it out.

But to be safe, just buy a newer router from Linksys, Netgear, or TP-Link, and connect it to the existing FIOS router...essentially using the FIOS router as a modem.
Thanks. I might just snake an ethernet cable up behind the TV and forget about it. My wifi speed is adequate for normal internet browsing and work email. It's super thirsty Netflix that's the problem. If I hadn't gotten hooked on House of Cards, I might even bag Netflix and just stick to blu-ray, but I was seduced by the devil.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.