Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by sooke View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post
... Now I could use Oppo's Netflix app but that is devoid of a screen saver for those moments when one pauses content and steps away from the screen for a few moments. So frustrating.

Holy phosphors Batman! You must have a sensitive screen! Sorry man.

My kids sometimes pause Netflix and walk away for extended periods of time. If they're not back in 15 minutes or so (and I happen to notice) then I do the screen wipe thing. With (my) kids it's just not practical to worry about a few moments static image. I'ld drive myself and everyone else crazy.

On the plus side of having kids, my 9 year old son often watches full screen cartoons which gets rid of the IR I cause from late night xbox sessions.

I worry MUCH more about a wii-mote through the screen than I do IR. I have strict rules about wrist straps. Trust but verify.
I play netflix through my AppleTV and have screensaver enabled to show full screen slides during idle. It's been a golden solution.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12062 of 12664 Old 06-14-2014, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Keep in mind I have OCD tendencies here (just a little more mild than our dearly departed Self Made). I doubt I'd have a plasma with kiddies running around....probably would have the cheapest LCD I could find.
So KID + OCD = LCD
vinnie97 likes this.
post #12063 of 12664 Old 06-14-2014, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thxtheater View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sooke View Post
Quote:
... Now I could use Oppo's Netflix app but that is devoid of a screen saver for those moments when one pauses content and steps away from the screen for a few moments. So frustrating.

Holy phosphors Batman! You must have a sensitive screen! Sorry man.

My kids sometimes pause Netflix and walk away for extended periods of time. If they're not back in 15 minutes or so (and I happen to notice) then I do the screen wipe thing. With (my) kids it's just not practical to worry about a few moments static image. I'ld drive myself and everyone else crazy.

On the plus side of having kids, my 9 year old son often watches full screen cartoons which gets rid of the IR I cause from late night xbox sessions.

I worry MUCH more about a wii-mote through the screen than I do IR. I have strict rules about wrist straps. Trust but verify.
I play netflix through my AppleTV and have screensaver enabled to show full screen slides during idle. It's been a golden solution.
So AppleTVs' screensaver overrides Netflix? If apple can do it, I don't see why Oppo can't!
post #12064 of 12664 Old 06-14-2014, 07:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Watched Lone Survivor tonight on the ZT60. Absolutely amazing Bluray and a great movie! Highly Recommended if you haven't watched it yet.
CrazyNurse likes this.
post #12065 of 12664 Old 06-14-2014, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm watching Lawrence of Arabia. Making my fiancé watch it with me in exchange for having watched Gone with the Wind with her last month. It looks fantastic.
CrazyNurse likes this.
post #12066 of 12664 Old 06-14-2014, 07:52 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I searched this thread and couldn't find anything so if this was covered previously, I apologize.

Is anyone using HDMI Audio Return Channel (ARC) between their ZT60 and a receiver or pre-pro? If so, could you tell me what brand and model? I've been thinking about replacing my Marantz SR8002 with something a little newer with better room correction, 3d pass-through to eliminate the extra HDMI cable I run for that and ARC to eliminate the optical cable from my TV to receiver.

Jim
post #12067 of 12664 Old 06-14-2014, 09:43 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Keep in mind I have OCD tendencies here (just a little more mild than our dearly departed Self Made). I doubt I'd have a plasma with kiddies running around....probably would have the cheapest LCD I could find.
The dearly departed Self Made..., you have a way with words! But back on topic. Kids have a way of distracting you from the TV. They'd probably cure your OCD. They cured mine! I've got one teenager and none of my plasma have suffered from her.

Last edited by eaayoung; 06-15-2014 at 08:17 AM.
post #12068 of 12664 Old 06-15-2014, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jliedeka View Post
I searched this thread and couldn't find anything so if this was covered previously, I apologize.

Is anyone using HDMI Audio Return Channel (ARC) between their ZT60 and a receiver or pre-pro? If so, could you tell me what brand and model? I've been thinking about replacing my Marantz SR8002 with something a little newer with better room correction, 3d pass-through to eliminate the extra HDMI cable I run for that and ARC to eliminate the optical cable from my TV to receiver.

Jim
I have a Denon 4311 & could never get ARC to work consistently with the ZT apps.
post #12069 of 12664 Old 06-15-2014, 07:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by repete66211 View Post
Quote:

Jim
I have a Denon 4311 & could never get ARC to work consistently with the ZT apps.
Are any of you using the "Smart" Apps on a consistent basis? They all seem gimmicky to me.

I tried the web browser a few times but its flash plug-in was out of date and I couldn't get the ZT to upgrade it.

The DLNA app seems promising but I have yet to set it up.

Pioneer PDP-5071HD, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Denon 3311CI, Oppo BDP-93, Emotiva XPA-5, Definitive Mythos ST, Mythos 8, Gem XL, SVS SB-13 Ultra
post #12070 of 12664 Old 06-15-2014, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Considering disc players & streaming boxes already have it covered, apps on board TVs are gimmicky. I use a PS3 for all my streaming. Even if ARC did work as advertised the only TV app I would use would be YouTube.
post #12071 of 12664 Old 06-15-2014, 07:39 AM

Liked: 13
Question

Finally granted permission to buy before all gone.... played Harry Potter - Half Blood Prince in THX out of the box.... and cried
Previous was 42" pioneer...
Now need hours and Calibration Tech...
Any one know a good one in the Toronto/Ajax Ontario area...

Thanks
post #12072 of 12664 Old 06-15-2014, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyNurse View Post
Are any of you using the "Smart" Apps on a consistent basis? They all seem gimmicky to me.

I tried the web browser a few times but its flash plug-in was out of date and I couldn't get the ZT to upgrade it.

I use the DLNA, Netflix, YouTube and Amazon apps pretty regularly. I also have those apps in my Oppo BDP-93 but it's easier having one less thing to turn on. Also, the Neflix App in my Oppo only has Stereo audio so I prefer the Panasonic one. The DLNA experience is about the same between the two. I haven't compared the Amazon apps. I like the pairing feature in the Panasonic YouTube app.

Jim

Edit: Oppo doesn't have an Amazon app, just Netflix, YouTube and DLNA, of the ones I mentioned.

Last edited by jliedeka; 06-15-2014 at 02:43 PM.
post #12073 of 12664 Old 06-15-2014, 11:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thinking of adding this to my ZT. Any thoughts?

http://lightpack.tv/
post #12074 of 12664 Old 06-15-2014, 02:41 PM

It's for computers, not TVs. It's in the FAQ.

Unless you use your ZT as a monitor, and a PC or Mac is your source.
post #12075 of 12664 Old 06-15-2014, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyNurse View Post

I use the DLNA, Netflix, YouTube and Amazon apps pretty regularly. I also have those apps in my Oppo BDP-93 but it's easier having one less thing to turn on. Also, the Neflix App in my Oppo only has Stereo audio so I prefer the Panasonic one. The DLNA experience is about the same between the two. I haven't compared the Amazon apps. I like the pairing feature in the Panasonic YouTube app.

Jim

Edit: Oppo doesn't have an Amazon app, just Netflix, YouTube and DLNA, of the ones I mentioned.
Oh, I keep forgetting about the Netflix app. It does work really well.

XBMC or Plex in conjunction w/DLNA app?

Pioneer PDP-5071HD, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Denon 3311CI, Oppo BDP-93, Emotiva XPA-5, Definitive Mythos ST, Mythos 8, Gem XL, SVS SB-13 Ultra
post #12076 of 12664 Old 06-16-2014, 09:07 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I wanted to drop by on my ZT's 1 year build anniversary and about 3 weeks away from my 1 year ownership anniversary to say how awesome and fantastic and stupendous and glamerous and breathtaking and everything that is good my ZT is and how awfully happy I am with the purchase A year went by and no issues yet! Knock on wood.

It's so hard to go back to LED motion after getting accustomed to plasma motion. Have to admit, coming from a line of LED I didn't much care for plasma motion when I first got the ZT. But boy! Seeing the constant blur from LED's is painful now. Even watching the new OLED's at big box stores is painful to my eyes! There's just so much of a difference. It's a shame plasma is being taken off the market, but that just leaves room for improvement for newer techs like OLED. Hopefully all the ZT owners are extremly pleased about their purchases and can say the same about their ZT's! Cheers.
post #12077 of 12664 Old 06-16-2014, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I’m definitely hoping my 1 year anniversary will be as happy as yours. I had many years of enjoyment from my V10 and hopefully my new ZT will serve me similarly now.
oreb likes this.

Certified Ultra Professional AVS Special Member Class A
post #12078 of 12664 Old 06-16-2014, 10:05 AM

I'm using MediaTomb as a DLNA server. Works with the Panny and the Oppo.
post #12079 of 12664 Old 06-17-2014, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by oreb View Post
I wanted to drop by on my ZT's 1 year build anniversary and about 3 weeks away from my 1 year ownership anniversary to say how awesome and fantastic and stupendous and glamerous and breathtaking and everything that is good my ZT is and how awfully happy I am with the purchase A year went by and no issues yet! Knock on wood.

It's so hard to go back to LED motion after getting accustomed to plasma motion. Have to admit, coming from a line of LED I didn't much care for plasma motion when I first got the ZT. But boy! Seeing the constant blur from LED's is painful now. Even watching the new OLED's at big box stores is painful to my eyes! There's just so much of a difference. It's a shame plasma is being taken off the market, but that just leaves room for improvement for newer techs like OLED. Hopefully all the ZT owners are extremly pleased about their purchases and can say the same about their ZT's! Cheers.
Got until October for my 1st B-Day but "DITTO!!"

Bob
oreb likes this.
post #12080 of 12664 Old 06-18-2014, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Mine is Black Friday, am still loving the tv compared to anything else out there.
Sonyboy and oreb like this.
post #12081 of 12664 Old 06-18-2014, 06:27 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kofiv View Post
Finally granted permission to buy before all gone.... played Harry Potter - Half Blood Prince in THX out of the box.... and cried
Previous was 42" pioneer...
Now need hours and Calibration Tech...
Any one know a good one in the Toronto/Ajax Ontario area...

Thanks
Sent you a PM.

Cheers from the Great White North.
My gear: ANTHEM AVM50v, STATEMENT A5 - ARCAM DV139, CD17 - PANASONIC 65VT30 (THX Calibrated) - SONY BDP-S5000ES - PANAMAX 5500EX - M&K V1250THX sub - TANNOY EYRIS DC3, DCC, DC1 - AUDIOQUEST Cables - SHUNYATA RESEARCH Power cords - HARMONY One - PRIMACOUSTIC Recoil Stabilizers
post #12082 of 12664 Old 06-19-2014, 04:57 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Still loving my zt60, but not really digging the new format of AVS. Can someone who normally views avs on their smartphone please tell me how I can stay logged in and let me see the thread from where I last left off? Before the change I just opened the app, clicked on the thread and presto it brought me to where I last left off. Now even when I have to re-log in it takes me to the first post in the thread. I also don't see a way to preview your post before I post it. Sorry off topic, but please help. Hope everyone is enjoying their zt60's. Thanks guys.
post #12083 of 12664 Old 06-19-2014, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

Jim
I have VT60 and a Marantz receiver (3D passthrough, ARC enabled etc...) so same thing from that perspective. I could not get ARC to work correctly. The first time I set it up it functioned as should and I was happy. Didn't change any settings on any equipment and it never worked again. Since then I've been through every single setting on all sides of my television and receiver including back to the original which did work once. Read instructions and every thread to see if I missed something or needed to try something else. Tried multiple brands of high end cables. No dice.

I'm on an optical cable back now. Not a big deal as I honestly never use the apps outside of an occasional Skype. The rest of it is meaningless to me as I have other components and a PC to do everything else. That said I like my stuff to work and ARC was the only disappointment in the entire new display experience.

Display:    Panasonic 65" VT60

AVR:        Marantz 6005

Speakers: Kef Q towers/rears Kef Reference center

HTPC:       Win 7 Pro with XBMC

Xbox Live: Arbitrage XXL

post #12084 of 12664 Old 06-19-2014, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVKIK View Post
Still loving my zt60, but not really digging the new format of AVS. Can someone who normally views avs on their smartphone please tell me how I can stay logged in and let me see the thread from where I last left off? Before the change I just opened the app, clicked on the thread and presto it brought me to where I last left off. Now even when I have to re-log in it takes me to the first post in the thread. I also don't see a way to preview your post before I post it. Sorry off topic, but please help. Hope everyone is enjoying their zt60's. Thanks guys.
I was initially bummed out by the switch too. I usually read AVS on my iPhone when I have 15 minutes here and there through out the day. I had trouble at first with the threads not going back to the last post I read. It seemed to work itself out except the lg OLED thread takes me back to the last page and not the post but other threads work fine. When I first set up AVS on my phone I had it set to stay logged in through the settings. When I log in the first time after the change I had to sign in and check the little box by where you type your name and password to stay logged in. Not sure if any of that helps.
post #12085 of 12664 Old 06-19-2014, 03:13 PM

Liked: 15
Please could someone tell me more about this trick to use high luminance.

Panasonic ZT65
Onkyo HT-R390
Popcorn hour A-400
SKY HD
Xbox One
Xbox 360
IPAD Air 32GB
Samsung Galaxy S4
Virgin Broadband 120MB
post #12086 of 12664 Old 06-19-2014, 06:53 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasjw View Post
Please could someone tell me more about this trick to use high luminance.
Check out the 2013 Panasonic settings thread. The first page has setting for high panel luminance from dnice.
post #12087 of 12664 Old 06-19-2014, 07:53 PM

Liked: 10
I recently had the pleasure of Jeff Meier of AccuCal calibrate my home theater. I read the reviews of Jeff's work in this forum and not only did he meet my expectations but he exceeded them. Jeff was very professional and explained his equipment and process as he went thought the calibration. I learned a lot about home theater from this experience. I also learned about Jeff's work in other areas, such as movie business, in addition to other things.
I enjoyed my home theater previous to the calibration but now I am stunned by the changes Jeff made. The calibration enhanced the richness of the colors and improved skin tones on people. The sound is clean and crisp and the speakers are working together instead of each other. I believe that I will have the best picture quality for the next few years.
If you are thinking about having your home theater professionally calibrated, use Jeff Meier of AccuCal. If anyone would like more information regarding my experience I would be happy to provide more details.
post #12088 of 12664 Old 06-19-2014, 07:54 PM

Liked: 10
Jeff goes by UMR on AVS.
post #12089 of 12664 Old 06-19-2014, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Jeff is a real pro. He calibrated my system last September. His video and audio calibration package is a great value. I believe mine was the first ZT he calibrated. I'm happy with the video work he did but what I was really pleased with was how thorough he was with my 5.2/AVR audio calibration. He tweaked channel levels & EQ'd each channel's frequency response, making my system as flat as possible (given the room acoustics).

He offers a great service & I recommend him highly. I'd be curious to know what he's learned about the ZT/VT in the months since I've seen him. I'm glad to hear you're pleased with his work.
post #12090 of 12664 Old 06-20-2014, 08:26 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
250 hours of nonstop IR removal methods (screen wipe, slides, and pixel flipper) now, and the presence of the Netflix nav bar at the bottom of the screen is about 80% gone on white (on colors it's 99-100% gone). In its wake are slightly darker shades where it once lied (perhaps MgO sputtering, uneven wear, or burn-in itself). It has been at this current level for at least the last 100 hours or so, so I'm beginning to lean towards permanent. Fortunately, it won't be visible 90% of the time (and probably 100% of the time from my typical seating distance). It still has me frantic of ever using Netflix again as well as from watching much content with stationary graphics (sports, cable stations with logos, tickers, etc.). That being said, the Roku stick for my Oppo is en route, and it will enable me to do 2 things: Put the pixel orbiter to use and have the benefit of a screensaver during Netflix viewing.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65zt60 65 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60zt60 60 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page