Official ZT60 Owners Thread - Page 405 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
First ... 403  404  405 406  407  ... Last
Plasma Flat Panel Displays > Official ZT60 Owners Thread
rifleman69's Avatar rifleman69 03:55 PM 06-25-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post
^For a dark room, sure, but when watching in daylight, one needs to pump up the contrast (see D-Nice's ISF day setting where he has it set for 90 for reference). Can't wait for OLED.

Not in front of my tv right now, but my day setting was near 90 (in a well natural lit room during the day), and a good 10+ points lower for the night setting.

chunon's Avatar chunon 05:00 PM 06-25-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by repete66211 View Post
I'm curious how he arrived at that setting. Look at a gray scale pattern and there is no change from about 70 to 100 contrast. On one hand, that indicates that the contrast needn't be any higher than 70, but it also apparently indicates that because 100 looks no different than 70 that setting it to 100 shouldn't cause any more IR than if it's set at 70 or somewhere in between. Who knows?

He used a meter and set the contrast based on light output, you may not be able to see a visual difference but with the appropriate calibration pattern size and a meter there is a measured difference.
vinnie97's Avatar vinnie97 05:28 PM 06-25-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman69 View Post
Not in front of my tv right now, but my day setting was near 90 (in a well natural lit room during the day), and a good 10+ points lower for the night setting.
Pretty close to where I have it (as well as a matching differential, though I need to recheck to be sure).

Repete, I might experiment in the daytime to check for visible deterioration in the day by decreasing to 70 since any differences beyond it are quite subtle. It may be that they're not as evident with higher APL content and have a greater effect with low APL.
PBC PT's Avatar PBC PT 05:21 AM 06-26-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thxtheater View Post
Rejoice. Not sure there is reliable data to back up that perception. I suggest calibrating your display properly with one of the BluRay discs and that will most likely yield a contrast between 65-75 that I think is the bigger issue. Turn on pixel orbiter too and you should be just fine.
would it help if I change the colour of the subtitles to green or yellow will it help? (instead of the deafult white?)
repete66211's Avatar repete66211 05:57 AM 06-26-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBC PT View Post
would it help if I change the colour of the subtitles to green or yellow will it help? (instead of the deafult white?)
Yellow subtitles would not yield the same level of IR as white subtitles.

Years ago, there was a move to change all subtitles to yellow with black edges as this created contrast that more legible than anything else, including white. Watch an old black and white movie (or Austin Powers in Goldmember) and it becomes apparent that white subtitles can blend with other whites on screen.
rifleman69's Avatar rifleman69 12:46 PM 06-26-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBC PT View Post
would it help if I change the colour of the subtitles to green or yellow will it help? (instead of the deafult white?)
Anything besides white. Green may be the best option for you over yellow.
jliedeka's Avatar jliedeka 03:51 PM 06-27-2014
Does anyone use the Amazon Video app? I'm a Prime subscriber so I've been able to watch a lot of stuff at no extra cost. So far everything has 2-channel sound only. Is that a limitation of the app, Amazon, or have I just not found the right content?

I'm considering a Roku 3 or DIY HTPC for a better streaming experience. I'd like to know if I can get more out of the Amazon streaming in particular.

Jim
Thxtheater's Avatar Thxtheater 04:23 PM 06-27-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jliedeka View Post
Does anyone use the Amazon Video app? I'm a Prime subscriber so I've been able to watch a lot of stuff at no extra cost. So far everything has 2-channel sound only. Is that a limitation of the app, Amazon, or have I just not found the right content?

I'm considering a Roku 3 or DIY HTPC for a better streaming experience. I'd like to know if I can get more out of the Amazon streaming in particular.

Jim
I'm assuming you mean the app on the Zt60. I don't use the apps on the TV as the UI and overall experience is better with AppleTV and Roku. You're talking Amazon prime so Roku is more relevant. Are you sending the audio out from the app via Toslink or HDMI (using ARC)? I would not be surprised if the audio was down-mixed to 2.0 with the app in the TV.

I do find the Amazon prime on the Roku to be fine and I do get 5.1 audio.

Overall, having had both the AppleTV and the Roku for some time, I prefer the UI, etc of the AppleTV.
jliedeka's Avatar jliedeka 04:46 PM 06-27-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thxtheater View Post
I'm assuming you mean the app on the Zt60.
Yes, that's what I meant.

Quote:
You're talking Amazon prime so Roku is more relevant. Are you sending the audio out from the app via Toslink or HDMI (using ARC)? I would not be surprised if the audio was down-mixed to 2.0 with the app in the TV.


I'm using Toslink. My AVR pre-dates ARC.

Quote:
I do find the Amazon prime on the Roku to be fine and I do get 5.1 audio.

Overall, having had both the AppleTV and the Roku for some time, I prefer the UI, etc of the AppleTV.


Thanks. That's exactly what I wanted to know. I'm tempted by the AppleTV but even though I have a lot of Apple hardware, I'm not invested in their ecosystem.

Jim
mohanman's Avatar mohanman 08:36 AM 07-01-2014
I went to my friends house .. he has a Sharp Elite 60". I hate sharp because my dad had one and it broke in less than one year.. but I tell you the pQ was pretty good. I was a little bit shaken up because I think the picture was better than my ZT60 65". Someone tell me I'm wrong!!!!
Someone!
Edllguy's Avatar Edllguy 09:00 AM 07-01-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohanman View Post
I went to my friends house .. he has a Sharp Elite 60". I hate sharp because my dad had one and it broke in less than one year.. but I tell you the pQ was pretty good. I was a little bit shaken up because I think the picture was better than my ZT60 65". Someone tell me I'm wrong!!!!
Someone!
I'm no expert here but IMO the ZT60 picture is more film like. Also, if you get the ZT60 professionally ISF calibrated by someone who is prominently well known and experienced in the industry, I'm going to guess your observation and opinion may change.
GC3's Avatar GC3 09:03 AM 07-01-2014
Closing in on 1000 hours with no hint of IR yet. Have fully adjusted my senses to the calibration I had done at 400 hours, and the PQ continues to be even more awesome than the outstanding OOTB experience.
eaayoung's Avatar eaayoung 09:15 AM 07-01-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohanman View Post
I went to my friends house .. he has a Sharp Elite 60". I hate sharp because my dad had one and it broke in less than one year.. but I tell you the pQ was pretty good. I was a little bit shaken up because I think the picture was better than my ZT60 65". Someone tell me I'm wrong!!!!
Someone!
Per CNET: overpriced and not as good as plasma. But to my eye, not as bad as some other LED TVs I seen. Get your set calibrated. Big step in picture quality.
mrlittlejeans's Avatar mrlittlejeans 12:15 PM 07-01-2014
Can someone recommend a mount for my 65ZT60? I saw some earlier mentions for a monoprice model but didn't see one on their site for this size.
antennahead's Avatar antennahead 09:48 PM 07-01-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by GC3 View Post
Closing in on 1000 hours with no hint of IR yet. Have fully adjusted my senses to the calibration I had done at 400 hours, and the PQ continues to be even more awesome than the outstanding OOTB experience.
Just a heads up hands on word of advice........ my IR didn't happen until about 1300 hours. Being well over 1000 hours with no IR, I think I got complacent thinking I was so far past break-in I was out of the woods and had nothing to worry about, especially since my Kuro never gave me a moments issue with IR. Be careful with station logos, my IR happened from only 4 or 5 hours a night of watching the Velocity channel. It's their crappy "V" channel logo that is not 100% opaque ...... the tips are a solid silver/white and that is what burned into my set. After hundreds of hours of screen wipe and pixel flipper plus a few hundred more of regular viewing, it is about 90% gone. I can still see a faint outline on light colored solid screen material. I honestly don't know if this last 10% will fade or not...... it seems to have leveled off at this point and isn't fading any more.

John
mo949's Avatar mo949 11:31 AM 07-02-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by repete66211 View Post
I'm curious how he arrived at that setting. Look at a gray scale pattern and there is no change from about 70 to 100 contrast. On one hand, that indicates that the contrast needn't be any higher than 70, but it also apparently indicates that because 100 looks no different than 70 that setting it to 100 shouldn't cause any more IR than if it's set at 70 or somewhere in between. Who knows?
Vinnie won't be able to answer you. He's been permanently banned - reason unknown.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-fla...hread-160.html
ChrisFB's Avatar ChrisFB 11:51 AM 07-02-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jliedeka View Post
Yes, that's what I meant.





I'm using Toslink. My AVR pre-dates ARC.





Thanks. That's exactly what I wanted to know. I'm tempted by the AppleTV but even though I have a lot of Apple hardware, I'm not invested in their ecosystem.

Jim
From memory I think the audio out only delivers 2 channel sound. I could be wrong but I know this is an issue somewhere but may certainly apply here.

I use Amazon Prime too and the TV app just plain stinks. Xbox 360 app navigation is multiples better organized and easier to navigate. Can't speak to Roku or PC solution (although I do have a HTPC, just don't bother with Prime Video on it).
Thxtheater's Avatar Thxtheater 01:46 PM 07-02-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohanman View Post
I went to my friends house .. he has a Sharp Elite 60". I hate sharp because my dad had one and it broke in less than one year.. but I tell you the pQ was pretty good. I was a little bit shaken up because I think the picture was better than my ZT60 65". Someone tell me I'm wrong!!!!
Someone!
Don't worry about it. Remember, perceived PQ has lots to do with calibration, ambient room light, etc. etc. Your ZT60 doesn't suffer from motion blur. It's a Plasma. The Sharp can't touch that without making it seem like the soap opera effect. Pioneer Kuro and ZT60 hands down best TVs made to date.
jliedeka's Avatar jliedeka 01:49 PM 07-02-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFB View Post
From memory I think the audio out only delivers 2 channel sound. I could be wrong but I know this is an issue somewhere but may certainly apply here.

I use Amazon Prime too and the TV app just plain stinks. Xbox 360 app navigation is multiples better organized and easier to navigate. Can't speak to Roku or PC solution (although I do have a HTPC, just don't bother with Prime Video on it).
I just got a Roku yesterday and haven't finished dialing it in. The Amazon Prime app is better. One notable improvement is it has my watch list. With the Panasonic app, I had to search for things before I could watch them. I still haven't found anything with more than two channels so I don't yet know if Prime movies have any other audio.

The Panasonic does output DD. I used the Netflix app and got surround. The app on my Oppo was 2-channel only.

The Roku puts out 720p/stereo out of the box. You can change the settings to 1080p/surround. Other than the better Prime app, it also has Amazon Cloud Player which I won't use a lot but is nice to have. I'm using the Media Player for DLNA, it worked fine out of the box with MediaTomb. I mainly just use it for streaming FLACs from my ripped CD collection.

Jim
Thxtheater's Avatar Thxtheater 02:17 PM 07-02-2014
Ladies and Gentlemen rejoice in your plasmas. We're now a dying breed. Check out that Samsung is now exiting the plasma business too. Samsung Pulls Plug on Plasma Production
mcjimsey's Avatar mcjimsey 04:47 PM 07-02-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thxtheater View Post
Ladies and Gentlemen rejoice in your plasmas. We're now a dying breed. Check out that Samsung is now exiting the plasma business too. Samsung Pulls Plug on Plasma Production
Been enjoying my 65ZT60 since last October (3500 hours so far, so good) but was taking comfort in the fact that if something ever happened to it I could fall back on the Sammy's. This really disheartens me. A dying breed indeed

Bob
repete66211's Avatar repete66211 04:59 PM 07-02-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thxtheater View Post
Ladies and Gentlemen rejoice in your plasmas. We're now a dying breed. Check out that Samsung is now exiting the plasma business too. Samsung Pulls Plug on Plasma Production
Yeah, no surprises there. When the 2014 flagship model is scrapped in favor of continuing with the 2013 model you know it's just a matter of time.
ScottFern's Avatar ScottFern 06:28 PM 07-02-2014
Samsung F8500 plasma owner sticking his head in the door. Does the ZT60 experience any buzzing or fan noise while watching content in a scene with little to no audio? I just can't accept this horrific buzzing anymore on my F8500. Wondering if the grass is greener on the other side?
Edllguy's Avatar Edllguy 07:28 PM 07-02-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFern View Post
Samsung F8500 plasma owner sticking his head in the door. Does the ZT60 experience any buzzing or fan noise while watching content in a scene with little to no audio? I just can't accept this horrific buzzing anymore on my F8500. Wondering if the grass is greener on the other side?
IMO no panel is perfect, including the Kuro. I love my Pro-111 and I love my ZT60. Yes I can hear my ZT60 fan noise but only when I nit pik and purposely look for it. I just get caught in the passion of a movie moment and forget its there. Plus, the fan fix only takes away half of the noise. Not worth taking the risk IMO for microfractures.
Danonano's Avatar Danonano 08:01 PM 07-02-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFern View Post
Samsung F8500 plasma owner sticking his head in the door. Does the ZT60 experience any buzzing or fan noise while watching content in a scene with little to no audio? I just can't accept this horrific buzzing anymore on my F8500. Wondering if the grass is greener on the other side?
I had and returned a Samsung 8500 because of the buzz. I live at 6600 feet, and discovered that Samsung only rates their tv up to 6500 ft which may partly explain the buzz. I did have alot of dithering as well which I attribute to the altitude.

I now have a Panny ZT which is fantastic for 2d in my light controlled room. The buzz from it is much less than the Samsung, and the only thing is I miss is watching 3d Blu Ray on the Samsung as it was awesome. The bright display and full resolution at 3d really sold me on the potential for 3d, but for now I am content as the 2d ability of the Panny is remarkable - it's artistic really.

We feel very blessed as it's a joy to watch, and maybe my next TV a few years down the road will be 8k with awesome 3d capabilities.
Sonyboy's Avatar Sonyboy 08:44 PM 07-02-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFern View Post
Samsung F8500 plasma owner sticking his head in the door. Does the ZT60 experience any buzzing or fan noise while watching content in a scene with little to no audio? I just can't accept this horrific buzzing anymore on my F8500. Wondering if the grass is greener on the other side?
No fan noise whatsoever on my 60ZT60. Buzzing is very minimal and is a total non issue on mine. What size 8500 do you have?
ScottFern's Avatar ScottFern 08:54 PM 07-02-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyboy View Post
No fan noise whatsoever on my 60ZT60. Buzzing is very minimal and is a total non issue on mine. What size 8500 do you have?
60"
Sonyboy's Avatar Sonyboy 09:00 PM 07-02-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFern View Post
60"
Do you have an option to exchange it for another one. I think the 64 inch is suppose to be much less problematic with buzzing. Are you still able to locate a ZT60?
ScottFern's Avatar ScottFern 09:01 PM 07-02-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyboy View Post
Do you have an option to exchange it for another one. I think the 64 inch is suppose to be much less problematic with buzzing. Are you still able to locate a ZT60?

Abe's of Maine will tell me to go pound sand. I've been looking for a ZT60 but the gouging is so terrible I might as well get an LG OLED instead. No good options right now.......
Sonyboy's Avatar Sonyboy 09:15 PM 07-02-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFern View Post
Abe's of Maine will tell me to go pound sand. I've been looking for a ZT60 but the gouging is so terrible I might as well get an LG OLED instead. No good options right now.......
Yeah, some of the prices on the remaining panasonics are pretty crazy. I saw you are from Chicago. There was a guy on Ebay selling a mint condition 60ZT60 not too long ago in Chicago. The price wasn't too crazy either and it had an extended warranty. I don't see it listed any more. Best of luck with whatever you decide to do. Keep your eyes peeled. Someone locally could list a VT or ZT at any time.
Tags: Panasonic Viera Tc P65zt60 65 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60zt60 60 Inch Plasma Tv
First ... 403  404  405 406  407  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop