Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphabase View Post
Hi all new ZT60 owner here.

Jan 2014 build. I have very noticeable fan noise. On mute I can easily here it 10 ft away. Sounds like a ps3 or something.

Now I thought the fan noise issues had been sorted in mid 2013?

Screen is fine, just the droning fan noise that is a real downer.

Just for sanity sake, have you recent owners had noticeable fan noise?
Quote:
Originally Posted by repete66211 View Post
The fan fix reduced the noise. The degree to which you notice noise with or without the fix seems to vary a great deal.
+1 all plasma tvs will buzz. Every single one.

Quote:
No it's a defect. I just listened to the back carefully. Every fan is essentially quiet except for the one that is in the upper left hand part of the tv if you are looking at the front of it. The droning I hear is all coming from this one fan.

Do I have any other alternative but to return it? What is this fan fix you are speaking of? Can I do this myself or is this a panasonic repair thing?
There is a buzz...you just can't hear it for some reason.

All plasma tvs have and will buzz. It's part of the technology.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12182 of 12936 Old 07-06-2014, 07:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohanman View Post
I went to my friends house .. he has a Sharp Elite 60". I hate sharp because my dad had one and it broke in less than one year.. but I tell you the pQ was pretty good. I was a little bit shaken up because I think the picture was better than my ZT60 65". Someone tell me I'm wrong!!!!
Someone!
The sharp elite is a Very good tv. The only downside it has is a problem with decoding cyan.

Other than that, it's a very very very competitive tv and if the color decoding issue can be calibrated out can make any series of the kuro and the ZT60 run for its life.

It's a sick a tv...black levels would be a hair or two hairs darker WHEN u sit in the middle tho haha
post #12183 of 12936 Old 07-06-2014, 08:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_to_my_ear View Post
The sharp elite is a Very good tv. The only downside it has is a problem with decoding cyan.

Other than that, it's a very very very competitive tv and if the color decoding issue can be calibrated out can make any series of the kuro and the ZT60 run for its life.

It's a sick a tv...black levels would be a hair or two hairs darker WHEN u sit in the middle tho haha
Sharp "bought" the name/trademark/whatever from pioneer and spent many dollars producing an excellent very expensive TV that did not sell well

Sharp Elite PRO-60X5FD 3D LED LCD HDTV -
Price: $6,000 At A Glance: Class-leading blacks and shadow detail • Superb resolution • Bright, vivid 3D $ 6,000

see Sound and Vision for review - still a top pick

http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...d-led-lcd-hdtv

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 - Oppo BDP-103D - Panasonic DMP-BDT220 - Toshiba HD-DVD-3A - OPPO DV-981HD - Harmony 880
Onkyo TX-NR809 --- Definitive Technology - Studio Monitor 65 (2) - CS8040HD - Studio Monitor 45 (2) - Super Cube 6000
post #12184 of 12936 Old 07-06-2014, 09:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 77
^ ^ ^ ^ ^

While the Sharp Elite is truly an excellent display and probably the best LED out there, it still doesn't best the ZT60. In fact, what's the set Thomas Norton the reviewer owns?... a ZT60.

post #12185 of 12936 Old 07-06-2014, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thxtheater View Post
^ ^ ^ ^ ^

While the Sharp Elite is truly an excellent display and probably the best LED out there, it still doesn't best the ZT60. In fact, what's the set Thomas Norton the reviewer owns?... a ZT60.
ZT is the best HDTV ever made and is the reference model for most reviewers!! Benchmark against which all others are measured!

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 - Oppo BDP-103D - Panasonic DMP-BDT220 - Toshiba HD-DVD-3A - OPPO DV-981HD - Harmony 880
Onkyo TX-NR809 --- Definitive Technology - Studio Monitor 65 (2) - CS8040HD - Studio Monitor 45 (2) - Super Cube 6000
post #12186 of 12936 Old 07-06-2014, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Looks like it was made jan 10th. Regardless I wish it was quieter. It's definitely one fan that is the culprit.

Has anyone actually had a Panasonic rep replace a fan?
Fan replacements have happened but typically it's just foam is added behind some of the fans to reduce their vibrations. The additional foam is the official fan noise fix from Panasonic. (Maybe yours doesn't really have it?) As suggested, you may want to check out the fan fix thread to see some of your options, official or otherwise.

--
(I still am fix-less, been noticing it again (mostly just before I turn it off), but just hasn't been worth bothering with... other fish to fry etc... though about done with other fish... Mine's a Jun 2013 build, original warranty's about up, but I have the parts: the foam and the rubber washers if/when.)
post #12187 of 12936 Old 07-06-2014, 10:02 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have finished running D-Nice's prep slides for 100+ hours on my set and I would like to now apply his reference settings. BUT, I cannot see "Professional 1" or "Professional 2" in Picture Mode. FWIW, I'm running the latest firmware on the TV.
post #12188 of 12936 Old 07-06-2014, 10:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I went to my friends house .. he has a Sharp Elite 60". I hate sharp because my dad had one and it broke in less than one year.. but I tell you the pQ was pretty good. I was a little bit shaken up because I think the picture was better than my ZT60 65". Someone tell me I'm wrong!!!!
Someone!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thxtheater View Post
^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob brennan View Post
ZT is the best HDTV ever made and is the reference model for most reviewers!! Benchmark against which all others are measured!

If it wasn't for the cyan color decoding issue on the elite, it would beat the zt60 and kuro by a margin.....it's still the best full local dimming set out there sans color decoding issue with cyan.

FYI it can achieve darker black levels than any set today other than oleds.
post #12189 of 12936 Old 07-07-2014, 04:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyama View Post
I have finished running D-Nice's prep slides for 100+ hours on my set and I would like to now apply his reference settings. BUT, I cannot see "Professional 1" or "Professional 2" in Picture Mode. FWIW, I'm running the latest firmware on the TV.
You have to turn on the ISFccc mode in settings. Once you do that the pro modes will appear.
Oyama likes this.
post #12190 of 12936 Old 07-07-2014, 06:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
If it wasn't for the cyan color decoding issue on the elite, it would beat the zt60 and kuro by a margin.....it's still the best full local dimming set out there sans color decoding issue with cyan.

FYI it can achieve darker black levels than any set today other than oleds.
Debatable

From S&V "The Elite and the Pioneer reproduced the other dark scenes in Stargate: Continuum equally well. But while the Pioneer appears to handle the most challenging dark scenes marginally better than the Elite, you’ll never notice the differences short of an A/B comparison. When the source is a full black screen, the Elite is generally a gnat’s eyelash darker than the Pioneer, although both sets measure impressively (though not totally) black."

Sharp is an excellent TV but ZT is better and now the benchmark by which others are measured - SADLY - that might mean being the best/excellent is a death sentence since both (and the Kuro) are no longer made!!

Last edited by bob brennan; 07-07-2014 at 07:23 AM.
post #12191 of 12936 Old 07-07-2014, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by whipit View Post
You have to turn on the ISFccc mode in settings. Once you do that the pro modes will appear.
whipit, thank you for your help, I now see it.
whipit likes this.
post #12192 of 12936 Old 07-07-2014, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
just brought a new 65zt60. should i use break in slides. can anyone point me to instruction fore break in and calibration parameters
post #12193 of 12936 Old 07-07-2014, 04:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by maveTOR View Post
just brought a new 65zt60. should i use break in slides. can anyone point me to instruction fore break in and calibration parameters
Where are you located and did you get a US model?
post #12194 of 12936 Old 07-07-2014, 09:31 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I got it in Toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post
Where are you located and did you get a US model?
post #12195 of 12936 Old 07-08-2014, 12:15 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by maveTOR View Post
You can use information from this thread for your model. It's a complicated issue so you will probably get conflicting advise.

2013 Panasonic Settings/Issues Thread
post #12196 of 12936 Old 07-08-2014, 06:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Debatable

From S&V "The Elite and the Pioneer reproduced the other dark scenes in Stargate: Continuum equally well. But while the Pioneer appears to handle the most challenging dark scenes marginally better than the Elite, you’ll never notice the differences short of an A/B comparison. When the source is a full black screen, the Elite is generally a gnat’s eyelash darker than the Pioneer, although both sets measure impressively (though not totally) black."

Sharp is an excellent TV but ZT is better and now the benchmark by which others are measured - SADLY - that might mean being the best/excellent is a death sentence since both (and the Kuro) are no longer made!!
I like my zt60.. but there is something about the motion that bothers me. I am using the CNET settings. Even set at weak, there seems to be some jitteriness. When I went to my friends house and saw the Elite, the motion was easier on my eyes. However, like I said Sharp is crap
Thanks
post #12197 of 12936 Old 07-08-2014, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I like my zt60.. but there is something about the motion that bothers me. I am using the CNET settings. Even set at weak, there seems to be some jitteriness. When I went to my friends house and saw the Elite, the motion was easier on my eyes. However, like I said Sharp is crap
Thanks
Try D-Nice settings - have D-Nice, CNET & S&V in my settings and use D-Nice nearly all the time - see above for link

post #12198 of 12936 Old 07-08-2014, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Do you guys notice line bleed on your set. Most of the timeit is pretty good but there are instances where the line bleed is very noticeable. I initially thought they mostly licked this problem on the ZTs but it still shows up in certain situations from time to time with graphic blocksagainst more solid areas.

It’s my only beef with plasma and I’ve learned to accept it,but I just want to compare notes to see if people do notice it from time to time

Certified Ultra Professional AVS Special Member Class A
post #12199 of 12936 Old 07-08-2014, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
I would quantify it as very obvious with a wall of text (especially when vertically scrolling) on a solid background. Nature of the plasma beast but an afterthought for the most part.
eaayoung and parkman like this.
post #12200 of 12936 Old 07-08-2014, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 507
Hopefully we have met before If not welcome to the forum

65VT60(Calibrated by Chad B)
55ST60(Calibrated by Chunon)
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #12201 of 12936 Old 07-08-2014, 01:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by warpdrive View Post
Do you guys notice line bleed on your set. Most of the timeit is pretty good but there are instances where the line bleed is very noticeable. I initially thought they mostly licked this problem on the ZTs but it still shows up in certain situations from time to time with graphic blocksagainst more solid areas.

It’s my only beef with plasma and I’ve learned to accept it,but I just want to compare notes to see if people do notice it from time to time
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie_RIP View Post
I would quantify it as very obvious with a wall of text (especially when vertically scrolling) on a solid background. Nature of the plasma beast but an afterthought for the most part.
Guys I see some line bleed on my zt60 on those green/blue scenes on blu-ray discs. I think its the film content information screens.

Ill see a dark line extending from beneath the text to each side of the screen
post #12202 of 12936 Old 07-08-2014, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member

Another question:

Has the Black Extension feature under Pro Settings been debunked as not having a beneficial effect on picture quality?

Reason being...I was searching through the help settings on the zt menu and came across a section explaining the pq features

For Black Extension it says: " 0 - 15 Adjusts the gradations in dark shades of the image "

I know the ZT60 is capable of approx 30,000 shades of black. Could this feature enable the shades of gradations? THe higher the settings the more gradations?

I have not come across a professional reviewer or calibrator talking about this particular feature/commenting on its effectiveness

I have it maxed at 15 right now...I dont see any detriment to the picture quality soo far....

Whats the word on this?
post #12203 of 12936 Old 07-08-2014, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Another question:

Has the Black Extension feature under Pro Settings been debunked as not having a beneficial effect on picture quality?

Reason being...I was searching through the help settings on the zt menu and came across a section explaining the pq features

For Black Extension it says: " 0 - 15 Adjusts the gradations in dark shades of the image "

I know the ZT60 is capable of approx 30,000 shades of black. Could this feature enable the shades of gradations? THe higher the settings the more gradations?

I have not come across a professional reviewer or calibrator talking about this particular feature/commenting on its effectiveness

I have it maxed at 15 right now...I dont see any detriment to the picture quality soo far....

Whats the word on this?

It is frowned upon by professional calibrators, I have seen the effects on a test pattern. There is really no reason to use that on the ZT/VT imo. I has nothing to do with gradation shades

65VT60(Calibrated by Chad B)
55ST60(Calibrated by Chunon)
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #12204 of 12936 Old 07-08-2014, 07:48 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie_RIP View Post
Welcome..., and I like the name!
post #12205 of 12936 Old 07-08-2014, 08:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Another question:

Whats the word on this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post
It is frowned upon by professional calibrators, I have seen the effects on a test pattern. There is really no reason to use that on the ZT/VT imo. I has nothing to do with gradation shades
Is that right? What happens on test patterns? Does it crush detail when engaged?
post #12206 of 12936 Old 07-08-2014, 10:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks
Same for me. Turned them off long ago, you should too. Believe your own eyes.
post #12207 of 12936 Old 07-09-2014, 03:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Is that right? What happens on test patterns? Does it crush detail when engaged?

Yes it crushes blacks if anything it probably hurts gradation. Not sure why you would even consider using that setting with a tv that get so black anyway .
post #12208 of 12936 Old 07-09-2014, 07:30 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I've got a question about the Netflix app on the ZT60. I watched The Hunger Games Catching Fire the other day using the Netflix app on the ZT60. It's really the first time I've closely watched 1080p Netflix content on the set, I've only had it a few months. It exhibited what I believe is judder - I'd see jumpiness that felt like frames were missing, being skipped, or jumped over. This was especially evident on slow panning shots. I haven't dealt much with judder - I think I'm using the right term. There was also pretty serious soap opera effect.

I haven't seen any indications that the ZT60 suffers from judder in general. I also haven't seen any comments that The Hunger Games Catching Fire does - aside from generally jumpy and unstable shooting, but this is a different issue. So, I wonder about the built in Netflix app - are people using it, and could it be contributing to judder and the soap opera effect?

Thanks
post #12209 of 12936 Old 07-09-2014, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
tdallen - Check your Picture Settings. Motion Smoother should be set to OFF.
post #12210 of 12936 Old 07-09-2014, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Another question:

Whats the word on this?
I won't speak for ZT60 owners but on my PF30's the only time I use black extender is

1) watching sports with uniform green or whatever colored field and minimal shadow details, eg world cup football
2) in heavy ambient light, if the shadow details are being lost to ambient light you can afford to throw them out for a little extra boost

In casual viewing its ok, it does hurt gradations and probably should never be used with 16-235 output so use your judgment and always put it back for movies
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65zt60 65 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60zt60 60 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page