Official ZT60 Owners Thread - Page 407 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2014, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member
 
music_to_my_ear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 682
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphabase View Post
Hi all new ZT60 owner here.

Jan 2014 build. I have very noticeable fan noise. On mute I can easily here it 10 ft away. Sounds like a ps3 or something.

Now I thought the fan noise issues had been sorted in mid 2013?

Screen is fine, just the droning fan noise that is a real downer.

Just for sanity sake, have you recent owners had noticeable fan noise?
Quote:
Originally Posted by repete66211 View Post
The fan fix reduced the noise. The degree to which you notice noise with or without the fix seems to vary a great deal.
+1 all plasma tvs will buzz. Every single one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphabase View Post
No it's a defect. I just listened to the back carefully. Every fan is essentially quiet except for the one that is in the upper left hand part of the tv if you are looking at the front of it. The droning I hear is all coming from this one fan.

Do I have any other alternative but to return it? What is this fan fix you are speaking of? Can I do this myself or is this a panasonic repair thing?
There is a buzz...you just can't hear it for some reason.

All plasma tvs have and will buzz. It's part of the technology.
music_to_my_ear is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-06-2014, 07:53 AM
Advanced Member
 
music_to_my_ear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 682
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohanman View Post
I went to my friends house .. he has a Sharp Elite 60". I hate sharp because my dad had one and it broke in less than one year.. but I tell you the pQ was pretty good. I was a little bit shaken up because I think the picture was better than my ZT60 65". Someone tell me I'm wrong!!!!
Someone!
The sharp elite is a Very good tv. The only downside it has is a problem with decoding cyan.

Other than that, it's a very very very competitive tv and if the color decoding issue can be calibrated out can make any series of the kuro and the ZT60 run for its life.

It's a sick a tv...black levels would be a hair or two hairs darker WHEN u sit in the middle tho haha
music_to_my_ear is offline  
Old 07-06-2014, 08:14 AM
Advanced Member
 
bob brennan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Westchester County, NY
Posts: 710
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_to_my_ear View Post
The sharp elite is a Very good tv. The only downside it has is a problem with decoding cyan.

Other than that, it's a very very very competitive tv and if the color decoding issue can be calibrated out can make any series of the kuro and the ZT60 run for its life.

It's a sick a tv...black levels would be a hair or two hairs darker WHEN u sit in the middle tho haha
Sharp "bought" the name/trademark/whatever from pioneer and spent many dollars producing an excellent very expensive TV that did not sell well

Sharp Elite PRO-60X5FD 3D LED LCD HDTV -
Price: $6,000 At A Glance: Class-leading blacks and shadow detail • Superb resolution • Bright, vivid 3D $ 6,000

see Sound and Vision for review - still a top pick

http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...d-led-lcd-hdtv

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 - Oppo BDP-103D - Panasonic DMP-BDT220 - Toshiba HD-DVD-3A - OPPO DV-981HD - Harmony 880
Onkyo TX-NR809 --- Definitive Technology - Studio Monitor 65 (2) - CS8040HD - Studio Monitor 45 (2) - Super Cube 6000
bob brennan is offline  
Old 07-06-2014, 09:07 AM
Advanced Member
 
Thxtheater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 870
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 83
^ ^ ^ ^ ^

While the Sharp Elite is truly an excellent display and probably the best LED out there, it still doesn't best the ZT60. In fact, what's the set Thomas Norton the reviewer owns?... a ZT60.

Thxtheater is offline  
Old 07-06-2014, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member
 
bob brennan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Westchester County, NY
Posts: 710
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thxtheater View Post
^ ^ ^ ^ ^

While the Sharp Elite is truly an excellent display and probably the best LED out there, it still doesn't best the ZT60. In fact, what's the set Thomas Norton the reviewer owns?... a ZT60.
ZT is the best HDTV ever made and is the reference model for most reviewers!! Benchmark against which all others are measured!

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 - Oppo BDP-103D - Panasonic DMP-BDT220 - Toshiba HD-DVD-3A - OPPO DV-981HD - Harmony 880
Onkyo TX-NR809 --- Definitive Technology - Studio Monitor 65 (2) - CS8040HD - Studio Monitor 45 (2) - Super Cube 6000
bob brennan is offline  
Old 07-06-2014, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
fmalczewski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,022
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphabase View Post
Looks like it was made jan 10th. Regardless I wish it was quieter. It's definitely one fan that is the culprit.

Has anyone actually had a Panasonic rep replace a fan?
Fan replacements have happened but typically it's just foam is added behind some of the fans to reduce their vibrations. The additional foam is the official fan noise fix from Panasonic. (Maybe yours doesn't really have it?) As suggested, you may want to check out the fan fix thread to see some of your options, official or otherwise.

--
(I still am fix-less, been noticing it again (mostly just before I turn it off), but just hasn't been worth bothering with... other fish to fry etc... though about done with other fish... Mine's a Jun 2013 build, original warranty's about up, but I have the parts: the foam and the rubber washers if/when.)
fmalczewski is offline  
Old 07-06-2014, 10:02 PM
Newbie
 
Oyama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have finished running D-Nice's prep slides for 100+ hours on my set and I would like to now apply his reference settings. BUT, I cannot see "Professional 1" or "Professional 2" in Picture Mode. FWIW, I'm running the latest firmware on the TV.
Oyama is offline  
Old 07-06-2014, 10:14 PM
Advanced Member
 
music_to_my_ear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 682
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohanman View Post
I went to my friends house .. he has a Sharp Elite 60". I hate sharp because my dad had one and it broke in less than one year.. but I tell you the pQ was pretty good. I was a little bit shaken up because I think the picture was better than my ZT60 65". Someone tell me I'm wrong!!!!
Someone!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thxtheater View Post
^ ^ ^ ^ ^

While the Sharp Elite is truly an excellent display and probably the best LED out there, it still doesn't best the ZT60. In fact, what's the set Thomas Norton the reviewer owns?... a ZT60.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob brennan View Post
ZT is the best HDTV ever made and is the reference model for most reviewers!! Benchmark against which all others are measured!

If it wasn't for the cyan color decoding issue on the elite, it would beat the zt60 and kuro by a margin.....it's still the best full local dimming set out there sans color decoding issue with cyan.

FYI it can achieve darker black levels than any set today other than oleds.
music_to_my_ear is offline  
Old 07-07-2014, 04:01 AM
AVS Special Member
 
whipit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: SGF
Posts: 1,512
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyama View Post
I have finished running D-Nice's prep slides for 100+ hours on my set and I would like to now apply his reference settings. BUT, I cannot see "Professional 1" or "Professional 2" in Picture Mode. FWIW, I'm running the latest firmware on the TV.
You have to turn on the ISFccc mode in settings. Once you do that the pro modes will appear.
Oyama likes this.
whipit is online now  
Old 07-07-2014, 06:28 AM
Advanced Member
 
bob brennan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Westchester County, NY
Posts: 710
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob brennan View Post
ZT is the best HDTV ever made and is the reference model for most reviewers!! Benchmark against which all others are measured!
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_to_my_ear View Post
If it wasn't for the cyan color decoding issue on the elite, it would beat the zt60 and kuro by a margin.....it's still the best full local dimming set out there sans color decoding issue with cyan.

FYI it can achieve darker black levels than any set today other than oleds.
Debatable

From S&V "The Elite and the Pioneer reproduced the other dark scenes in Stargate: Continuum equally well. But while the Pioneer appears to handle the most challenging dark scenes marginally better than the Elite, you’ll never notice the differences short of an A/B comparison. When the source is a full black screen, the Elite is generally a gnat’s eyelash darker than the Pioneer, although both sets measure impressively (though not totally) black."

Sharp is an excellent TV but ZT is better and now the benchmark by which others are measured - SADLY - that might mean being the best/excellent is a death sentence since both (and the Kuro) are no longer made!!

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 - Oppo BDP-103D - Panasonic DMP-BDT220 - Toshiba HD-DVD-3A - OPPO DV-981HD - Harmony 880
Onkyo TX-NR809 --- Definitive Technology - Studio Monitor 65 (2) - CS8040HD - Studio Monitor 45 (2) - Super Cube 6000

Last edited by bob brennan; 07-07-2014 at 07:23 AM.
bob brennan is offline  
Old 07-07-2014, 10:03 AM
Newbie
 
Oyama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by whipit View Post
You have to turn on the ISFccc mode in settings. Once you do that the pro modes will appear.
whipit, thank you for your help, I now see it.
whipit likes this.
Oyama is offline  
Old 07-07-2014, 03:46 PM
Member
 
maveTOR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
just brought a new 65zt60. should i use break in slides. can anyone point me to instruction fore break in and calibration parameters
maveTOR is offline  
Old 07-07-2014, 04:06 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
htwaits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 24,871
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by maveTOR View Post
just brought a new 65zt60. should i use break in slides. can anyone point me to instruction fore break in and calibration parameters
Where are you located and did you get a US model?
htwaits is offline  
Old 07-07-2014, 09:31 PM
Member
 
maveTOR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I got it in Toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post
Where are you located and did you get a US model?
maveTOR is offline  
Old 07-08-2014, 12:15 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
htwaits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 24,871
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by maveTOR View Post
just brought a new 65zt60. should i use break in slides. can anyone point me to instruction fore break in and calibration parameters
You can use information from this thread for your model. It's a complicated issue so you will probably get conflicting advise.

2013 Panasonic Settings/Issues Thread
htwaits is offline  
Old 07-08-2014, 06:59 AM
Advanced Member
 
mohanman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 935
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob brennan View Post
Debatable

From S&V "The Elite and the Pioneer reproduced the other dark scenes in Stargate: Continuum equally well. But while the Pioneer appears to handle the most challenging dark scenes marginally better than the Elite, you’ll never notice the differences short of an A/B comparison. When the source is a full black screen, the Elite is generally a gnat’s eyelash darker than the Pioneer, although both sets measure impressively (though not totally) black."

Sharp is an excellent TV but ZT is better and now the benchmark by which others are measured - SADLY - that might mean being the best/excellent is a death sentence since both (and the Kuro) are no longer made!!
I like my zt60.. but there is something about the motion that bothers me. I am using the CNET settings. Even set at weak, there seems to be some jitteriness. When I went to my friends house and saw the Elite, the motion was easier on my eyes. However, like I said Sharp is crap
Thanks
mohanman is offline  
Old 07-08-2014, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member
 
bob brennan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Westchester County, NY
Posts: 710
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohanman View Post
I like my zt60.. but there is something about the motion that bothers me. I am using the CNET settings. Even set at weak, there seems to be some jitteriness. When I went to my friends house and saw the Elite, the motion was easier on my eyes. However, like I said Sharp is crap
Thanks
Try D-Nice settings - have D-Nice, CNET & S&V in my settings and use D-Nice nearly all the time - see above for link

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 - Oppo BDP-103D - Panasonic DMP-BDT220 - Toshiba HD-DVD-3A - OPPO DV-981HD - Harmony 880
Onkyo TX-NR809 --- Definitive Technology - Studio Monitor 65 (2) - CS8040HD - Studio Monitor 45 (2) - Super Cube 6000
bob brennan is offline  
Old 07-08-2014, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
warpdrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,106
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Do you guys notice line bleed on your set. Most of the timeit is pretty good but there are instances where the line bleed is very noticeable. I initially thought they mostly licked this problem on the ZTs but it still shows up in certain situations from time to time with graphic blocksagainst more solid areas.

It’s my only beef with plasma and I’ve learned to accept it,but I just want to compare notes to see if people do notice it from time to time

Certified Ultra Professional AVS Special Member Class A
warpdrive is offline  
Old 07-08-2014, 12:16 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I would quantify it as very obvious with a wall of text (especially when vertically scrolling) on a solid background. Nature of the plasma beast but an afterthought for the most part.
eaayoung and parkman like this.
vinnie_RIP is offline  
Old 07-08-2014, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
chunon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Wilmington Ohio
Posts: 5,542
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 607
Hopefully we have met before If not welcome to the forum

64F8500
55ST60
Harmony 650
Sony XT1 Soundbase
OPPO 103d
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3
chunon is online now  
Old 07-08-2014, 01:42 PM
Advanced Member
 
music_to_my_ear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 682
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by warpdrive View Post
Do you guys notice line bleed on your set. Most of the timeit is pretty good but there are instances where the line bleed is very noticeable. I initially thought they mostly licked this problem on the ZTs but it still shows up in certain situations from time to time with graphic blocksagainst more solid areas.

It’s my only beef with plasma and I’ve learned to accept it,but I just want to compare notes to see if people do notice it from time to time
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie_RIP View Post
I would quantify it as very obvious with a wall of text (especially when vertically scrolling) on a solid background. Nature of the plasma beast but an afterthought for the most part.
Guys I see some line bleed on my zt60 on those green/blue scenes on blu-ray discs. I think its the film content information screens.

Ill see a dark line extending from beneath the text to each side of the screen
music_to_my_ear is offline  
Old 07-08-2014, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member
 
music_to_my_ear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 682
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Another question:

Has the Black Extension feature under Pro Settings been debunked as not having a beneficial effect on picture quality?

Reason being...I was searching through the help settings on the zt menu and came across a section explaining the pq features

For Black Extension it says: " 0 - 15 Adjusts the gradations in dark shades of the image "

I know the ZT60 is capable of approx 30,000 shades of black. Could this feature enable the shades of gradations? THe higher the settings the more gradations?

I have not come across a professional reviewer or calibrator talking about this particular feature/commenting on its effectiveness

I have it maxed at 15 right now...I dont see any detriment to the picture quality soo far....

Whats the word on this?
music_to_my_ear is offline  
Old 07-08-2014, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
chunon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Wilmington Ohio
Posts: 5,542
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_to_my_ear View Post
Another question:

Has the Black Extension feature under Pro Settings been debunked as not having a beneficial effect on picture quality?

Reason being...I was searching through the help settings on the zt menu and came across a section explaining the pq features

For Black Extension it says: " 0 - 15 Adjusts the gradations in dark shades of the image "

I know the ZT60 is capable of approx 30,000 shades of black. Could this feature enable the shades of gradations? THe higher the settings the more gradations?

I have not come across a professional reviewer or calibrator talking about this particular feature/commenting on its effectiveness

I have it maxed at 15 right now...I dont see any detriment to the picture quality soo far....

Whats the word on this?

It is frowned upon by professional calibrators, I have seen the effects on a test pattern. There is really no reason to use that on the ZT/VT imo. I has nothing to do with gradation shades

64F8500
55ST60
Harmony 650
Sony XT1 Soundbase
OPPO 103d
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3
chunon is online now  
Old 07-08-2014, 07:48 PM
Advanced Member
 
eaayoung's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 567
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie_RIP View Post
I would quantify it as very obvious with a wall of text (especially when vertically scrolling) on a solid background. Nature of the plasma beast but an afterthought for the most part.
Welcome..., and I like the name!
eaayoung is offline  
Old 07-08-2014, 08:17 PM
Advanced Member
 
music_to_my_ear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 682
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_to_my_ear View Post
Another question:

Has the Black Extension feature under Pro Settings been debunked as not having a beneficial effect on picture quality?

Reason being...I was searching through the help settings on the zt menu and came across a section explaining the pq features

For Black Extension it says: " 0 - 15 Adjusts the gradations in dark shades of the image "

I know the ZT60 is capable of approx 30,000 shades of black. Could this feature enable the shades of gradations? THe higher the settings the more gradations?

I have not come across a professional reviewer or calibrator talking about this particular feature/commenting on its effectiveness

I have it maxed at 15 right now...I dont see any detriment to the picture quality soo far....

Whats the word on this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post
It is frowned upon by professional calibrators, I have seen the effects on a test pattern. There is really no reason to use that on the ZT/VT imo. I has nothing to do with gradation shades
Is that right? What happens on test patterns? Does it crush detail when engaged?
music_to_my_ear is offline  
Old 07-08-2014, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fmalczewski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,022
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohanman View Post
I like my zt60.. but there is something about the motion that bothers me. I am using the CNET settings. Even set at weak, there seems to be some jitteriness. When I went to my friends house and saw the Elite, the motion was easier on my eyes. However, like I said Sharp is crap
Thanks
Same for me. Turned them off long ago, you should too. Believe your own eyes.
fmalczewski is offline  
Old 07-09-2014, 03:06 AM
AVS Special Member
 
chunon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Wilmington Ohio
Posts: 5,542
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_to_my_ear View Post
Is that right? What happens on test patterns? Does it crush detail when engaged?

Yes it crushes blacks if anything it probably hurts gradation. Not sure why you would even consider using that setting with a tv that get so black anyway .
chunon is online now  
Old 07-09-2014, 07:30 AM
Senior Member
 
tdallen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 427
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I've got a question about the Netflix app on the ZT60. I watched The Hunger Games Catching Fire the other day using the Netflix app on the ZT60. It's really the first time I've closely watched 1080p Netflix content on the set, I've only had it a few months. It exhibited what I believe is judder - I'd see jumpiness that felt like frames were missing, being skipped, or jumped over. This was especially evident on slow panning shots. I haven't dealt much with judder - I think I'm using the right term. There was also pretty serious soap opera effect.

I haven't seen any indications that the ZT60 suffers from judder in general. I also haven't seen any comments that The Hunger Games Catching Fire does - aside from generally jumpy and unstable shooting, but this is a different issue. So, I wonder about the built in Netflix app - are people using it, and could it be contributing to judder and the soap opera effect?

Thanks
tdallen is offline  
Old 07-09-2014, 08:56 AM
Newbie
 
Beetulz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
tdallen - Check your Picture Settings. Motion Smoother should be set to OFF.
Beetulz is offline  
Old 07-09-2014, 09:57 AM
 
ChadThunder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 385
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_to_my_ear View Post
Another question:

Has the Black Extension feature under Pro Settings been debunked as not having a beneficial effect on picture quality?

Reason being...I was searching through the help settings on the zt menu and came across a section explaining the pq features

For Black Extension it says: " 0 - 15 Adjusts the gradations in dark shades of the image "

I know the ZT60 is capable of approx 30,000 shades of black. Could this feature enable the shades of gradations? THe higher the settings the more gradations?

I have not come across a professional reviewer or calibrator talking about this particular feature/commenting on its effectiveness

I have it maxed at 15 right now...I dont see any detriment to the picture quality soo far....

Whats the word on this?
I won't speak for ZT60 owners but on my PF30's the only time I use black extender is

1) watching sports with uniform green or whatever colored field and minimal shadow details, eg world cup football
2) in heavy ambient light, if the shadow details are being lost to ambient light you can afford to throw them out for a little extra boost

In casual viewing its ok, it does hurt gradations and probably should never be used with 16-235 output so use your judgment and always put it back for movies
ChadThunder is offline  
 

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65zt60 65 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60zt60 60 Inch Plasma Tv
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off