Official ZT60 Owners Thread - Page 410 - AVS Forum
First ... 408  409  410 411  412  ... Last
Plasma Flat Panel Displays > Official ZT60 Owners Thread
B T C's Avatar B T C 07:40 PM 07-14-2014
I hope OLED is quickly adopted by every household in America. I figure if that happens, the people trying to sell the few remaining brand new 65" ZT60's for 8K might settle for 400-500 bucks, or less.

repete66211's Avatar repete66211 08:07 PM 07-14-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by B T C View Post
I hope OLED is quickly adopted by every household in America.
We've all been hoping (& waiting) for that for going on a half decade now. The sooner the better, but I can guarantee it won't happen in the time it takes to move any remaining ZT60 stock.
Oldfool's Avatar Oldfool 04:36 AM 07-16-2014
Quote:
I hope OLED is quickly adopted by every household in America. I figure if that happens, the people trying to sell the few remaining brand new 65" ZT60's for 8K might settle for 400-500 bucks, or less.
The ZT60 in this household won't be replaced any time soon. I am still amazed by it's picture quality
rifleman69's Avatar rifleman69 09:49 AM 07-16-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie_RIP View Post
That said, if that's all that were available, I'd still elect for the curved screen over the antiquated plasma, size being equal (or greater). I don't feel it's detrimental, just not beneficial.
Why on earth would you select a curved screen?
aassad1's Avatar aassad1 01:13 PM 07-16-2014
Have any of you had any trouble with your HDMI inputs on the ZT60? Mine stopped working all of the sudden. I can use the TV's apps but I can not receive a signal in via HDMI. This is very disappointing as my p54s1 still works flawlessly after many years and the ZT60 is only a few months old.
RoyMacDonald's Avatar RoyMacDonald 01:33 PM 07-16-2014
Quote:
That said, if that's all that were available, I'd still elect for the curved screen over the antiquated plasma, size being equal (or greater). I don't feel it's detrimental, just not beneficial.

I've read some adverse comments about odd picture geometry for viewers off to the side of curved sets.

I could have bought the LG OLED but I preferred the picture quality on the "antiquated"? ZT.
RoyMacDonald's Avatar RoyMacDonald 01:41 PM 07-16-2014
Quote:

When I bought my Kuro seven years ago, OLED was being touted as the next best thing in panel tech. Second hand Kuro's still sell for $3000 plus in the UK. Despite the OLED TV's now being available.

I could sell my ZT now for more than I paid for it (not that I'm going to) so don't expect any bargain deals anytime soon.
B T C's Avatar B T C 01:51 PM 07-16-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfool View Post
The ZT60 in this household won't be replaced any time soon. I am still amazed by it's picture quality
Believe me, I understand. I recently bought a VT60, and felt lucky to do so. I would probably buy a ZT60 if prices weren't crazy. On the other hand, I'm sure crazy is relative. I really wish I had been paying attention, in which case I would have bought one last year.
vinnie_RIP 02:05 PM 07-16-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman69 View Post
Why on earth would you select a curved screen?
The benefit of an infinite contrast ratio can't be overstated. A slight curvature of the screen is forgotten after being immersed in such a viewing experience. If I was looking at geometrical shapes with lots of linearity on screen, I might have a different opinion.
vinnie_RIP 02:09 PM 07-16-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald View Post
I've read some adverse comments about odd picture geometry for viewers off to the side of curved sets.

I could have bought the LG OLED but I preferred the picture quality on the "antiquated"? ZT.
That may very well be...especially if you venture into viewing at extreme angles.

By antiquated, I am referring to the power draw and the heat produced. I'm finding it a bit extreme in the high desert. If I have to deal with IR concerns and constant screen wiping, I'd rather it be on a panel that uses a fraction of the power.
bob brennan's Avatar bob brennan 02:17 PM 07-16-2014
Quote:

See intersting comments from both CNET & Consumer Reports on "CURVES"

http://www.cnet.com/products/samsung-un78hu9000/

Samsung UNHU9000 review: Great picture quality, but the curved screen is a flat-out gimmick

Curved screens can make a striking appearance but don't add much to the viewing experience, Consumer Reports finds Published: July 14, 2014 11:00 AM

antennahead's Avatar antennahead 02:26 PM 07-16-2014
Quote:
When I bought my Kuro seven years ago, OLED was being touted as the next best thing in panel tech. Second hand Kuro's still sell for $3000 plus in the UK. Despite the OLED TV's now being available.

I could sell my ZT now for more than I paid for it (not that I'm going to) so don't expect any bargain deals anytime soon.
Moved my 50" Kuro to the bedroom when I went "large" and bought the 65" ZT60 for the living room. I do feel blessed to have this quality of picture available to me in both rooms....... ZT60 IR not withstanding.
RoyMacDonald's Avatar RoyMacDonald 02:26 PM 07-16-2014
Quote:
That may very well be...especially if you venture into viewing at extreme angles.

By antiquated, I am referring to the power draw and the heat produced. I'm finding it a bit extreme in the high desert. If I have to deal with IR concerns and constant screen wiping, I'd rather it be on a panel that uses a fraction of the power.

Just wait till the sun goes down

It's true that OLED uses even less power than LED. If they get rid of the screen door effect I may well get one later in the year. Not sure what "infinite contrast ratio" means though.
antennahead's Avatar antennahead 02:32 PM 07-16-2014
Quote:
The benefit of an infinite contrast ratio can't be overstated. A slight curvature of the screen is forgotten after being immersed in such a viewing experience. If I was looking at geometrical shapes with lots of linearity on screen, I might have a different opinion.
Quote:

Off axis is always much less of an issue if the main inhabitants sit in the sweet spots to view........ I guess if one has a large family with side seating it would become more of an issue. Power draw and heat = antiquated........ picture quality = state of the art.......... IR = GRRRRRRRRRRR Although that is not really funny when it happens to you....... as "V" and I well know
ChrisFB's Avatar ChrisFB 02:34 PM 07-16-2014
Quote:
Other than "style" or "differentiation" is there any image quality benefit whatsoever to a curved screen? Can OLED not be made flat and retain infinite contrast or other desirable characteristics?
RoyMacDonald's Avatar RoyMacDonald 02:37 PM 07-16-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead View Post
Off axis is always much less of an issue if the main inhabitants sit in the sweet spots to view........ I guess if one has a large family with side seating it would become more of an issue. Power draw and heat = antiquated........ picture quality = state of the art.......... IR = GRRRRRRRRRRR Although that is not really funny when it happens to you....... as "V" and I well know

Yes. In my family everyone fights to sit in the middle, and that's with flat plasma screen. I won't even bother with anyone's LCD TV unless I can get a centre seat.
vinnie_RIP 02:38 PM 07-16-2014
Quote:
Just wait till the sun goes down

It's true that OLED uses even less power than LED. If they get rid of the screen door effect I may well get one later in the year. Not sure what "infinite contrast ratio" means though.
Doesn't work for the sit-in at home. :P

How does undefined contrast ratio sound? Probably more accurate since it's mathematically impossible to divide by 0.
vinnie_RIP 02:40 PM 07-16-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFB View Post
Other than "style" or "differentiation" is there any image quality benefit whatsoever to a curved screen?
No, though there is some mumbo jumbo being peddled that makes claims otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFB
Can OLED not be made flat and retain infinite contrast or other desirable characteristics?
Yes, it can (there is a 55" flat model available)...but the Koreans are hellbent on differentiation.
mo949's Avatar mo949 02:46 PM 07-16-2014
Normally in stores its hard to really see black level differences among sets and with mll being a small decimal number people dismiss black level differences as 'splitting hairs'. But if you see the OLED in store its hard not to marvel at its blacks since it really is so much better - even with the ridiculously bright environment it is being viewed in. Its not just a 'little' better.

Originally I was going to upgrade to the ZT60 from a vt50, but I've chosen to reallocate those funds to OLED in this/next year. I'm waiting for motion resolution and size to improve and increase, and then I'm all in.
rifleman69's Avatar rifleman69 03:12 PM 07-16-2014
Quote:
No, though there is some mumbo jumbo being peddled that makes claims otherwise.

That's what I was going for. Curved screens are another gimmick. I've no problem with OLED as a whole, but the curved screen is going to go the way of 3D tv.
tgm1024's Avatar tgm1024 09:46 AM 07-17-2014
Quote:
I dunno, the latter has been pretty far away from such until the past year. When relating to where the rubber hits the road and all.
vinnie_RIP has been banned. The mark of a junior moderator is to forget that his role is one of a resource and not one of an authority. If this represents a systemic attitude here then the forum itself is no longer about the members but about the administration structure. They seem to have inverted this paradigm over time.
mrlittlejeans's Avatar mrlittlejeans 10:23 AM 07-17-2014
Quote:
I think it's actually the Netflix closed captions that have caused the discoloration on solid backgrounds on the set. One other person reported this here. If you're hard of hearing or have a family member who will be watching with regularity, proceed with caution.
This caused a fair bit of IR on mine. My wife turned on subtitles by default so she could watch with low volume and not wake the babies.
drewTT's Avatar drewTT 10:31 AM 07-17-2014
No IR on my set. However, it does still continue to make my sub hum on white or bright scenes.
mark_b's Avatar mark_b 12:12 PM 07-17-2014
This is why I got rid of my ZT60. Loved the picture and black levels, but after developing severe image retention from my satellite guide that wasn't clearing at all after a month, it was time to send it back. I've owned quite a few Panasonic plasmas in the past and have had issues with every one. Could have had the ZT replaced but had enough at that point dealing with Panasonic. Returned it for the F8500 and have not had a single issue with it and blacks are just like the VT50 I had, plus excellent day viewing.
antennahead's Avatar antennahead 12:32 PM 07-17-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_b View Post
This is why I got rid of my ZT60. Loved the picture and black levels, but after developing severe image retention from my satellite guide that wasn't clearing at all after a month, it was time to send it back. I've owned quite a few Panasonic plasmas in the past and have had issues with every one. Could have had the ZT replaced but had enough at that point dealing with Panasonic. Returned it for the F8500 and have not had a single issue with it and blacks are just like the VT50 I had, plus excellent day viewing.
It was either the ZT60 or the F8500 for me, I went with the ZT60. I hope in time I don't regret that decision because of IR issues
bob brennan's Avatar bob brennan 02:40 PM 07-17-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead View Post
It was either the ZT60 or the F8500 for me, I went with the ZT60. I hope in time I don't regret that decision because of IR issues
Have 65ZT since 10/13 watch all channels icluding ESPN, MLB,NFL, etc and no problem what so ever with IR - NONE - ZERO - Nothing!
smail.nathan's Avatar smail.nathan 04:24 PM 07-17-2014
all right, i aged my zt60 using the slides for 250 hours, then started watching content on thx cinema. everything was good.

then, my wife left doctor who on the menu screen of the blu ray for 4 hours las tnight. bingo, i have lots of IR from the menu screen. not happy.

anyway, i've read lots of posts on here about the IR. I would just like someone to confirm what I plan to do to get rid of the IR, and add any comments you might have:

1. I'm running the slides again. I switched back from THX cinema to standard picture mode to do so. Should I have it on standard, or should I just leave it on THX cinema for the slides?

2. I just bought the Disney WOW disc so i can run the picture/pixel flipper option from that disc a bunch. it should be here friday for me to start running.

anything else anyone? any advice about what I wrote (or didnt write) would be most welcome.
antennahead's Avatar antennahead 04:38 PM 07-17-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by smail.nathan View Post
all right, i aged my zt60 using the slides for 250 hours, then started watching content on thx cinema. everything was good.

then, my wife left doctor who on the menu screen of the blu ray for 4 hours las tnight. bingo, i have lots of IR from the menu screen. not happy.

anyway, i've read lots of posts on here about the IR. I would just like someone to confirm what I plan to do to get rid of the IR, and add any comments you might have:

1. I'm running the slides again. I switched back from THX cinema to standard picture mode to do so. Should I have it on standard, or should I just leave it on THX cinema for the slides?

2. I just bought the Disney WOW disc so i can run the picture/pixel flipper option from that disc a bunch. it should be here friday for me to start running.

anything else anyone? any advice about what I wrote (or didnt write) would be most welcome.
Biggest thing to do right now is go into the menu and run the screen wipe for a LONG time...... like don't be afraid to run it for 12 to 24 hours. Alternate this with the pixel flipper. Don't think the slides will do much at this point for the IR.
antennahead's Avatar antennahead 04:40 PM 07-17-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob brennan View Post
Have 65ZT since 10/13 watch all channels icluding ESPN, MLB,NFL, etc and no problem what so ever with IR - NONE - ZERO - Nothing!
This is what's so amazing about the IR issues ......... they seem to be totally random........ some sets do it, some report next to none.
eaayoung's Avatar eaayoung 04:49 PM 07-17-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
vinnie_RIP has been banned. The mark of a junior moderator is to forget that his role is one of a resource and not one of an authority. If this represents a systemic attitude here then the forum itself is no longer about the members but about the administration structure. They seem to have inverted this paradigm over time.
Bummer. Time for the Moderator to go maybe?
Tags: Panasonic Viera Tc P65zt60 65 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60zt60 60 Inch Plasma Tv
First ... 408  409  410 411  412  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop