Forum Jump: 
post #12391 of 12406 Old 07-23-2014, 08:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by repete66211 View Post
If I could get a 65" ZT60 for $1,700 I'd take my chances with the IR, especially if they threw in a warranty or some extras.

It still amazes me that in this day and age TV stores don't take better care of their floor models. I mean, everyone knows about IR. How can a manager not make the effort to ensure 16:9 content is run on all TVs--even the LCDs--7all the time? This just boggles the mind.
I pretty much agree with everything you said. How do the people running these stores take no precautions? I think the risk becomes worth it at some point. I guess that point is what I'm trying to identify.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12392 of 12406 Old 07-23-2014, 11:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_to_my_ear View Post
You can't eyeball greyscale. its impossible for a human to do it. D-nice has said this many many times ( I'm guessing he tried to do it himself and couldn't get anything out of it by eye )

A meter is a must to get any positive adjustment of the greyscale otherwise you can't see what ur adjusting good or bad
Pretty sure we've already had this discussion. Not talking a full blown calibration, just picking a Color Temp setting from a pulldown of maybe a handful of options. I can eyeball when grey has the least amount of coloration to it. Be happy to show you.
post #12393 of 12406 Old 07-23-2014, 11:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by music_to_my_ear View Post
I agree. I think voltages may have been set higher than normal causing IR to be more prone on the 2013 sets. Probably the best guess I've read on this forum of why IR is soo common on 2013

Also, my set before it hit 1500 hours was very very resistant to IR for any content....now its nearing 1600 hours and I can make out IR from just the menu after I switch to a white slide but it fades away after content is displayed. Im guessing at 1500 hours the voltage levels jumped keep up with aging phosphours or something...sorta like what happened with the VT25 black level rise when the word was some Panasonic engineer goofed on the voltage algorithm too early and too aggressively
That wouldn't surprise me at all. Seems to be the case for me too, with possibly a bump (or two) prior to that. Pretty easy to get anything with bright lettering to stick relatively easily as of late, particularly towards the bottom of the screen.

But... even when the set was practically brand new I ran into some of the same IR early on when I thought I'd run slides for 100 hours or so. Right off the bat, I think just from running the application to get them to play. (Not really sure it's just IR, so much motion involved in the (video) noise that goes along with it; towards the top I've seen some IR too, but none of the video noise.)

Last edited by fmalczewski; 07-23-2014 at 11:44 PM.
post #12394 of 12406 Old Yesterday, 04:54 AM

I saw some mild IR on my VT60 from the application to play video and it could not have been on the screen for more than a minute, probably closer to 30 seconds. This was with 1000+ hours on the set.
post #12395 of 12406 Old Yesterday, 05:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 203
I see IR when I launch the PS3 Amazon Video app. It's up for just a few seconds and it fades pretty quickly. My old Samsung plasma did the same thing. I don't really consider short term IR like that a concern.
post #12396 of 12406 Old Yesterday, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member

My IR still does seem to fade, but seems like it's there with the slightest provocation now, so as one bout is fading another comes along to take its place quite readily. Contemplating just making it a blu-ray/dvd only panel (but in the real world...)

At least it is still "only" visible/present with 16:9 mostly light/white content (black bars on the side, per 4:3 content, invisible; darker 16:9 content mostly always invisible, but sometimes if you look...).
post #12397 of 12406 Old Yesterday, 09:32 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'm in the same boat with my plasma in regards to IR, its just an ST60. I have 2800 hours on it and run contrast on logo'd channels at a modest 60 and it will still generate IR no problem almost instantly. I also have line bleed pretty good on the low and mid brightness settings but when I put the panel brightness to high it diminishes it quite a bit but I normally run in mid or low cause of the image retention running in "high" seems like it sticks around longer. Sometimes even a persons eyes create slight line bleed.

I too was thinking maybe the voltage has become out of whack but is that normal? How does that even happen? I nervously went into the service menu to check my VSUS but it said it was set to low, was hoping it was set to high or something that would explain it. Not sure where to go from here. I'm passed my warranty and don't really want to pay for a tech to come out if its gonna cost over $50 or so. The only thing I could think of at this point though is that the voltages on the back of the panel are set too high or something. Not sure. It's aggravating.

I wrote panasonic on twitter about this and they told me its not normal (obviously). They want me to take a few picture examples and send them to them and they will share with their tech team. Gonna do that at lunch. I'm sure they will look at them and say its either "within normal operating guidelines" or something to that extent. Ideally I'd like for them to send a knowledgeable tech out for free to check the voltages.

Even as it stands its the best tv I've owned and don't plan on getting rid of it till it completely craps out.
post #12398 of 12406 Old Yesterday, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott brown View Post
I'm moving and might have to mount the 65inch on a brick wall. I'd like a full motion mount that will extend up to 20 inches or so. What would you recommend? Sanus? Any particular model? Are all the mounts Sanus claims to be compatible with the TC-P65ZT60 actually compatible?

Any recommendations other than Sanus?

Thanks!
When I got my 65" ZT60, I gave my girlfriend my older 50" V10. That weighs 75 pounds and we used a Peerless fully articulated mount. The installation went smoothly but I was just installing into two studs behind standard drywall. The Peerless was a bit cheaper than the comparable Sanus model and was really well built.

Jim
post #12399 of 12406 Unread Today, 04:47 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jliedeka View Post
When I got my 65" ZT60, I gave my girlfriend my older 50" V10. That weighs 75 pounds and we used a Peerless fully articulated mount. The installation went smoothly but I was just installing into two studs behind standard drywall. The Peerless was a bit cheaper than the comparable Sanus model and was really well built.

Jim
There's a friendly contractor working on the building next door who said he'd send a guy over to mount the zt on the brick wall next week. So that makes it easy. Now to decide if I want the dual arm mount or not. Amazon has the Sanus mounts for basically half of the retail price. My zt replaced my Kuro, which is now in the bedroom. Maybe I'll mount that on the wall, too
post #12400 of 12406 Unread Today, 05:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 22
You guys are all totally over reacting about this IR thing. I have a 55" VT30 that had the DISH logo from that hopper box on the screen everyday for days. I thought it was burned in and became very sad about the situation because it would never go away. It was there with white screens, grey screens... etc. The 55" VT30 went to storage because I then got a GT50 and now a ZT60. It was in storage for one year. I then took it out to put in one my bedrooms, and voila... the IR is gone completely. NO more dish logo.

Mo!

So if you are concerned about IR, just put it in storage for one year
post #12401 of 12406 Unread Today, 06:33 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnettrules21 View Post
I'm in the same boat with my plasma in regards to IR, its just an ST60. I have 2800 hours on it and run contrast on logo'd channels at a modest 60 and it will still generate IR no problem almost instantly. I also have line bleed pretty good on the low and mid brightness settings but when I put the panel brightness to high it diminishes it quite a bit but I normally run in mid or low cause of the image retention running in "high" seems like it sticks around longer. Sometimes even a persons eyes create slight line bleed.

I too was thinking maybe the voltage has become out of whack but is that normal? How does that even happen? I nervously went into the service menu to check my VSUS but it said it was set to low, was hoping it was set to high or something that would explain it. Not sure where to go from here. I'm passed my warranty and don't really want to pay for a tech to come out if its gonna cost over $50 or so. The only thing I could think of at this point though is that the voltages on the back of the panel are set too high or something. Not sure. It's aggravating.

I wrote panasonic on twitter about this and they told me its not normal (obviously). They want me to take a few picture examples and send them to them and they will share with their tech team. Gonna do that at lunch. I'm sure they will look at them and say its either "within normal operating guidelines" or something to that extent. Ideally I'd like for them to send a knowledgeable tech out for free to check the voltages.

Even as it stands its the best tv I've owned and don't plan on getting rid of it till it completely craps out.
Panasonic said IR and Line Bleed were not normal? I understand about you saying your line bleed results are mixed based on screen brightness but these two things are typical "features" of a Plasma. IR and Line Bleed have been talked about for years on this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohanman View Post
You guys are all totally over reacting about this IR thing. I have a 55" VT30 that had the DISH logo from that hopper box on the screen everyday for days. I thought it was burned in and became very sad about the situation because it would never go away. It was there with white screens, grey screens... etc. The 55" VT30 went to storage because I then got a GT50 and now a ZT60. It was in storage for one year. I then took it out to put in one my bedrooms, and voila... the IR is gone completely. NO more dish logo.

Mo!

I don't think many of us are fortunate enough to have multiple TV's where we could put one in storage for an entire year. Also I thought the only way to remove IR is to watch mixed content. How does not watching any TV get rid of IR?
post #12402 of 12406 Unread Today, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohanman View Post

Mo!

LOL. So folks are overreacting when all they have to do for every IR they get is put the TV in the basement for a year? Well, >phew<, glad to hear it's such an easy solution.

Well vinnie97, one of the kindest and most helpful and respected members here, was banned for silly reasons. And now vinnie_RIP is banned as well. The mark of an inexperienced moderator is to forget that their role is one of resource, not one of petulant authority and further that the members are doing the forum organization a favor by being here, not the other way around. They know darn well they screwed up here.
post #12403 of 12406 Unread Today, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLdan View Post
Panasonic said IR and Line Bleed were not normal? I understand about you saying your line bleed results are mixed based on screen brightness but these two things are typical "features" of a Plasma. IR and Line Bleed have been talked about for years on this forum.
They said getting instantaneous IR with low contrast after having 2800+ hours on the panel is not normal.
post #12404 of 12406 Unread Today, 07:18 AM

Would unplugging the set for some period of time potentially have an impact on IR?
post #12405 of 12406 Unread Today, 07:26 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by garnettrules21 View Post
They said getting instantaneous IR with low contrast after having 2800+ hours on the panel is not normal.
I have a Panny 55GT50 and a 64F8500 being delivered today in fact. I have the Panny set on Standard for most of my viewing since I watch TV late at night with the lights off and early in the morning before work. It keeps it cooler and it's easier on my eyes. Every day since day one, the second I turn on my Panny the "Smart Viera" logo pops up and leaves temporary IR. It seems ridiculous to me since there's no way to avoid that bright logo from popping up. After 5 minutes or less it goes away but it is instant IR. Although I have heard numerous times that the Samsung plasmas are much more immune to IR than the Panasonic TV's I'm already prepared for the same experience with IR on my Samsung being delivered today. If you're getting instant IR for example the CNN logo being on your screen for less than a minute but it stays for hours then there is something most likely wrong with your panel. Panasonic probably won't do a free or low priced service call but maybe you can find a local authorized Panasonic repair shop you can take it to who will do a free diagnostic.
post #12406 of 12406 Unread Today, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLdan View Post
I have a Panny 55GT50 and a 64F8500 being delivered today in fact. I have the Panny set on Standard for most of my viewing since I watch TV late at night with the lights off and early in the morning before work. It keeps it cooler and it's easier on my eyes. Every day since day one, the second I turn on my Panny the "Smart Viera" logo pops up and leaves temporary IR. It seems ridiculous to me since there's no way to avoid that bright logo from popping up. After 5 minutes or less it goes away but it is instant IR. Although I have heard numerous times that the Samsung plasmas are much more immune to IR than the Panasonic TV's I'm already prepared for the same experience with IR on my Samsung being delivered today. If you're getting instant IR for example the CNN logo being on your screen for less than a minute but it stays for hours then there is something most likely wrong with your panel. Panasonic probably won't do a free or low priced service call but maybe you can find a local authorized Panasonic repair shop you can take it to who will do a free diagnostic.
Yea, its really annoying but I'm 100% ready to just live with it. Regardless of temporary IR and line bleed (which doesn't happen a ton), its by far the best tv I've owned.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65zt60 65 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60zt60 60 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread