Official ZT60 Owners Thread - Page 422 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #12631 of 13076 Old 08-21-2014, 03:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I believe the comment I was referring to is in this thread.

ZT60 vs VT60
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12632 of 13076 Old 08-21-2014, 06:53 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 15
A seller has one new ZT60 left on Amazon he has up for $6,500.

Pretty ridiculous. I'll bet he gets some person with the disposable income to buy it.
post #12633 of 13076 Old 08-21-2014, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 223
That's stunt pricing. I'd be surprised if anyone bought it. IMO it's not even a very good value at the $4,100 MSRP.

Last edited by repete66211; 08-21-2014 at 08:59 PM.
post #12634 of 13076 Old 08-22-2014, 12:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fete26 View Post
I just got a PS4 that I have hooked up to my ZT. I was wondering what picture mode other people play their games in also what precautions should I take to avoid image retention. Thanks.
I game with an xbox 360 using the THX cinema mode, contrast at 50 (down from factory default 60). This is the mode I watch everything in because it is the most color accurate to my eye. I do get some IR, but it is not visible with normal content (just on solid color images). It goes away after a few hours of non-game content. If I ever get a cal, I'll use the pro mode and enable pixel orbiter. In the meantime I reduce HUDs when I can: Some games (eg. Diablo III) allow you to dim or control HUD opacity. Other games (eg. Borderlands II) allow you to shift the HUD around somewhat. So in that case I do a manual pixel orbiter by shifting the HUD every couple hours of play.

The key to dealing with IR is varied content. My kids watch a lot of cartoons, which gets rid of my gaming IR. But if IR freaks you out, gaming on the ZT may not be a good idea for you.

I've not experience permanent burn-in. But I only game 2-3 hours at a time.

Don't forget to engage game mode, which cuts down your input lag. Have fun! Awesome TV. Love gaming on it.
Devil Dan likes this.

Panasonic TC-P60ZT60 plasma panel
Sony BDP-S5100 Blu-ray player
Samsung SMT-H3272 DVR
Yamaha RX-V650 AVR
XBOX 360
URC MX-780 remote control
post #12635 of 13076 Old 08-22-2014, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendell View Post
That was a thought. I noticed that people complained of noisy fans in the first shipped models, then later shipped models (which would be mine) had the fans quieted. I wonder if that is because they have reduced airflow?

I'm thinking about maybe buying larger case fans and mounting them on the *outside* of the set, on the bottom part, to boost flow.

I also notice a blotch that starts showing up after several hours now on the *right* side of the screen. It is *directly* over the hot spot. Running the screen wipe or alternating several red green and blue full screen IRE patterns seems to lower it some.

Any other way you can think to get cooler temps without opening the set?

Anyone hear of repair shops or techs putting in stronger fans? Two fans for a plasma seems not enough... my previous 2008 Panasonic had 4.

The ZT uses less power than my Kuro so maybe it doesn't need so much cooling. Doesn't seem to give off that much heat to me.
post #12636 of 13076 Old 08-22-2014, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I agree. My 65" ZT is cooler than my 50" Samsung A550.
post #12637 of 13076 Old 08-23-2014, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fete26 View Post
I just got a PS4 that I have hooked up to my ZT. I was wondering what picture mode other people play their games in also what precautions should I take to avoid image retention. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by repete66211 View Post
I game with a PS3 & Xbox 360 fairly regularly. You'll want to disable any unecessary HUDs (especially if they're white) and use a picture mode with Contrast set no higher than 70. Pixel orbiter can alleviate IR in some instances so the THX modes, which don't allow this feature, may not be the best modes to use when gaming. Also, if you are going to pause the game regularly you'll want to use the screen wipe while doing so.

I really wish the Panasonic remote had a hard button for the screen wipe. As it is, I programmed a macro on my remote to engage it, which I use all the time when pausing games or 4:3 content.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohanman View Post
I game on ZT60 with THX bright mode all the time, no problems.
I use every mode except THX....ive read too many occasions of folks getting IR and burn in from doing whatever using the THX modes.

For me, its pro 1 & 2 or cinema ( with cnet settings ) and my pixel orbiter is ON not auto.

No IR for me and I play titanfall really really often
Devil Dan likes this.
post #12638 of 13076 Old 08-23-2014, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The ZT and VT panels are the same. Where they differ is the ZT's improved anti-glare coating.
You know....it hasn't been proven that the panels are the same...but there was some evidence that they could be the same i.e. calibration charts showing extremely similar results buttttt I've seen some review publications claiming the panels calibrated very differently and the results were not splitting images

So its still up in the air unless we got a confirmation Panasonic themselves or something

Quote:
Originally Posted by B T C View Post
Is it true that, in comparison to the VT60, the ZT60 display contains no MgO, or magnesium oxide, making it less susceptible to burn in or IR? I remember reading that somewhere, but just wondered if anyone could confirm.
Woah woah....interesting theory!
post #12639 of 13076 Old 08-23-2014, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald View Post
The ZT uses less power than my Kuro so maybe it doesn't need so much cooling. Doesn't seem to give off that much heat to me.
Quote:
Yeah, I agree. My 65" ZT is cooler than my 50" Samsung A550.
Interesting to hear.....my ZT gets HOT in Day mode. If I touch the back panel after its been on in Day Mode for an hour or so its really really really hot to touch

The hottest tv I've owned soo far
post #12640 of 13076 Old 08-23-2014, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by music_to_my_ear View Post
You know....it hasn't been proven that the panels are the same...but there was some evidence that they could be the same i.e. calibration charts showing extremely similar results buttttt I've seen some review publications claiming the panels calibrated very differently and the results were not splitting images

So its still up in the air unless we got a confirmation Panasonic themselves or something
All evidence points to it sharing the panel with the VT, with the only difference between the physical panels being the anti-reflective coating. And any difference in calibration almost can almost certainly be attributed to panel variance and the effect of the reflective coating. Panasonic has not explicitly said they use the same panel because they have no reason to. Their primary role is that of marketer so they want to highlight differences, not similarities.
htwaits likes this.

post #12641 of 13076 Old 08-23-2014, 09:37 AM

Quote:
All evidence points to it sharing the panel with the VT, with the only difference between the physical panels being the anti-reflective coating. And any difference in calibration almost can almost certainly be attributed to panel variance and the effect of the reflective coating. Panasonic has not explicitly said they use the same panel because they have no reason to. Their primary role is that of marketer so they want to highlight differences, not similarities.

I had an idea that I read something about the ZT panel being bonded together without any air gap and that the VT did have an air gap and that was the main reason the ZT panel gave a better picture.
post #12642 of 13076 Old 08-23-2014, 09:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob brennan View Post
Panels are both are the same NeoPlasma Black 3000 - Filters are different Ultimate Black for ZT & Infinite Black Ultra for VT

Big difference is the way the screen is attached to the panel, the Filter is on the INSIDE glass surface, held there by the autoclave process.

Studio Master Panel
The ZT60 series features Panasonic’s Studio Master Panel for increased performance and superb contrast. By removing the pocket of air between the panel and the front glass, the Panasonic TV’s Studio Master Panel improves light transmission and minimizes reflections from external light.

"If you look at the Panasonic TX-P60ZT65 from an angle, you'll notice that its pictures don't suffer with the 'double imaging' issue you see with every other Panasonic plasma TV when viewing them off-axis. This is because Panasonic has managed to remove the usual air gap between the plasma panel and the front glass. It's something that's only been possible by manufacturing the ZT65 screens in autoclaves - rare, high-precision heated compression chambers required to make sure the panel layers bond together correctly."
Quote:
I had an idea that I read something about the ZT panel being bonded together without any air gap and that the VT did have an air gap and that was the main reason the ZT panel gave a better picture.
see above
RoyMacDonald likes this.

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 - Oppo BDP-103D - Panasonic DMP-BDT220 - Toshiba HD-DVD-3A - OPPO DV-981HD - Harmony 880
Onkyo TX-NR809 --- Definitive Technology - Studio Monitor 65 (2) - CS8040HD - Studio Monitor 45 (2) - Super Cube 6000
post #12643 of 13076 Old 08-23-2014, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Yep, same panel but with different AR coating and the ZT has the gapless assembly. Personally, I was never able to see the gapless "benefit" between the two side by side but, considering the trouble they seem to have gone through with the autoclave process, Panasonic must have. IMO the real step up in PQ is due to the AR filter.
post #12644 of 13076 Old 08-23-2014, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Yep, same panel but with different AR coating and the ZT has the gapless assembly. Personally, I was never able to see the gapless "benefit" between the two side by side but, considering the trouble they seem to have gone through with the autoclave process, Panasonic must have. IMO the real step up in PQ is due to the AR filter.

I didn't really go into it but when I had mine calibrated the guy was shaking his head in wonder saying I don't know how Panasonic is getting these panels so unbelievably good, they are almost perfect. I didn't query how they compared to the VT unfortunately.
post #12645 of 13076 Old 08-23-2014, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I didn't really go into it but when I had mine calibrated the guy was shaking his head in wonder saying I don't know how Panasonic is getting these panels so unbelievably good, they are almost perfect. I didn't query how they compared to the VT unfortunately.
I did see a difference when someone ran the Oppo screen saver on both the VT & ZT - On the VT, from the side the "OPPO" appeared to "float", almost like you could see a space behind the OPPO and the panels - almost like a "shadow" on the ZT you didn't, it appeared "FLAT" on the panel - I was told this was a result of the autoclave process.
Edllguy and RoyMacDonald like this.

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 - Oppo BDP-103D - Panasonic DMP-BDT220 - Toshiba HD-DVD-3A - OPPO DV-981HD - Harmony 880
Onkyo TX-NR809 --- Definitive Technology - Studio Monitor 65 (2) - CS8040HD - Studio Monitor 45 (2) - Super Cube 6000

Last edited by bob brennan; 08-23-2014 at 10:26 AM.
post #12646 of 13076 Old 08-23-2014, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
I game with a PS3 & Xbox 360 fairly regularly. You'll want to disable any unecessary HUDs (especially if they're white) and use a picture mode with Contrast set no higher than 70. Pixel orbiter can alleviate IR in some instances so the THX modes, which don't allow this feature, may not be the best modes to use when gaming. Also, if you are going to pause the game regularly you'll want to use the screen wipe while doing so.

I really wish the Panasonic remote had a hard button for the screen wipe. As it is, I programmed a macro on my remote to engage it, which I use all the time when pausing games or 4:3 content.
Thank you for the input.
post #12647 of 13076 Old 08-23-2014, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by music_to_my_ear View Post
I use every mode except THX....ive read too many occasions of folks getting IR and burn in from doing whatever using the THX modes.

For me, its pro 1 & 2 or cinema ( with cnet settings ) and my pixel orbiter is ON not auto.

No IR for me and I play titanfall really really often
Thanks for all the help. I love the ZT.
post #12648 of 13076 Old 08-23-2014, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooke View Post
I game with an xbox 360 using the THX cinema mode, contrast at 50 (down from factory default 60). This is the mode I watch everything in because it is the most color accurate to my eye. I do get some IR, but it is not visible with normal content (just on solid color images). It goes away after a few hours of non-game content. If I ever get a cal, I'll use the pro mode and enable pixel orbiter. In the meantime I reduce HUDs when I can: Some games (eg. Diablo III) allow you to dim or control HUD opacity. Other games (eg. Borderlands II) allow you to shift the HUD around somewhat. So in that case I do a manual pixel orbiter by shifting the HUD every couple hours of play.

The key to dealing with IR is varied content. My kids watch a lot of cartoons, which gets rid of my gaming IR. But if IR freaks you out, gaming on the ZT may not be a good idea for you.

I've not experience permanent burn-in. But I only game 2-3 hours at a time.

Don't forget to engage game mode, which cuts down your input lag. Have fun! Awesome TV. Love gaming on it.
Thank you!!!
post #12649 of 13076 Old 08-23-2014, 01:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 480
Quote:
Removing the air gap in the ZT60 eliminates seeing double images from extreme viewing angles -- nothing else. The Pioneer Kuro displays did the same thing using a single sheet of glass.

With two sheets of glass and an air gap, it's possible for some people to notice the image on both glass surfaces if they are sitting off angle to the set's sweet spot.
craigyboy likes this.
post #12650 of 13076 Old 08-23-2014, 01:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 480
Quote:
I never could either, and the bonding introduced fragility problems.

Filter yes, gap removal no!
post #12651 of 13076 Old 08-23-2014, 03:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
So, during panel prep slides I noticed my "brand new sealed in box" 60Zt60 had some old burn-in... tennis channel logo bottom right screen and what I assume is a dvr menu.

My question is, if you do a reset under factory defaults does that reset the viewing time of the set? Because as soon as I got it I checked the menu and it was at zero. I need to know before I accuse the seller of bamboozling me and demanding a refund.

And, does anyone know where to find one nib (besides ebay)? Google is not helping. Thanks in advance.
post #12652 of 13076 Old 08-23-2014, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post
I never could either, and the bonding introduced fragility problems.

Filter yes, gap removal no!

Do you have the ZT or the VT?

What are the fragility problems with the ZT? I'm wondering if I should be giving it special treatment now.
post #12653 of 13076 Old 08-23-2014, 03:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Do you have the ZT or the VT?

What are the fragility problems with the ZT? I'm wondering if I should be giving it special treatment now.
As noted above, the fragility was in the production process.

No special treatment - There are many who believe that the sophisticated production process actually improved reliability. Reading up on the Panasonic Autoclave process is fascinating. There were a limited number of ZT's produced - Our own record-keeping indicated that less then 17,000 panels were produced for North America.

The autoclave/air gapless process is what made the ZT better then the VT in a dark room and the best HDTV ever made - Treat as you would treat any other high-end Plasma & always remember there ain't no more PANASONIC PLASMA - What you see is what you got!

Value it - enjoy it
Edllguy likes this.

Last edited by bob brennan; 08-23-2014 at 04:50 PM.
post #12654 of 13076 Old 08-23-2014, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Well today was the day I got our TC-P65ZT60 calibrated. I had the pleasure of Chad B's company. He arrived promptly at the scheduled appt. time where we then discussed viewing habits. After setting up the equipment he spent the next 4.5 hours fine tuning the day, night, and 3D picture modes. During this time Chad was both professional and personable answering all the questions I had .

The pre measurements were all off and all the post are now closer to where they should be. With the RGB almost flat and DE Avg. under 1. When finished it was time to try out the settings, Chad showed some content and I also checked out the settings with content we watch. The day mode with the extra brightness looks like it will help our daytime viewing as the house has many windows. I darkened the room to check out night which is the main viewing for BD movies. The detail and coloring was a lot better then before and I'm looking forward to the latest releases. The 3D mode is a little brighter, as with the depth and color while looking through the glasses more pronounced.

All in all I'm very happy with the way the ZT is now calibrated. I could go on and on but we have a movie to watch. My Thanks go out to Chad again for a job well done and answering questions I'm sure he's answered many time's before.

Living Room
Panasonic TC-P65ZT60, Sony PS3, Marantz SR5008, Center PC2000, Front & Surround's PM1000, Sub SVS PB-2000, Harmony Smart Remote

Bedroom
Panasonic TC-P46S1, Panasonic HTIB SA-BT200
post #12655 of 13076 Old 08-24-2014, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girdeux View Post
So, during panel prep slides I noticed my "brand new sealed in box" 60Zt60 had some old burn-in... tennis channel logo bottom right screen and what I assume is a dvr menu.

My question is, if you do a reset under factory defaults does that reset the viewing time of the set? Because as soon as I got it I checked the menu and it was at zero. I need to know before I accuse the seller of bamboozling me and demanding a refund.

And, does anyone know where to find one nib (besides ebay)? Google is not helping. Thanks in advance.
You'll have to dig up how to check, but perhaps the hours of usage setting accessible inside the service menu may tell you the real number of hours. Obviously not a sealed new set. I wonder if replacing a certain circuit board can wipe out the viewing time.

Look for anything that resembles fingerprints (that aren't yours) or scratches or screws that may have been unscrewed, etc. Should give you a better idea of just how "new" your set is.

Currently living with pesky IR from my dvr on the bottom of the screen, seems to still come and go, but comes on pretty quickly/easily these days.

Oh, and finding a real nib zt60, good luck with that. (Maybe in Canada...)

These might get you the real hours on your set, via the service menu (note the warning of the last sentence, it's true and really important, and you're on your own if you mess things up):

Press and hold down the Vol- button on the TV.
Then press info button on the remote control 3 times.
Start adj. menu message will be displayed followed by Service menu in a few seconds.

Press the # 2 button once to select SRV-TOOL. Then press ok to access it.

Using the cursor keys Highlight the last box on bottom right side, then press and hold Mute for 3 seconds. Hours will be displayed in red and also how many times the set has been turned on.

Hold power button to exit.

Be careful in there and don't mess around in there as you can brick your TV.

Last edited by fmalczewski; 08-24-2014 at 12:23 PM.
post #12656 of 13076 Old 08-24-2014, 02:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girdeux View Post

None around at a reasonable price. How much did you pay for yours? If you got a deal and can't see the IR with regular content, I would consider keeping it. The ZT is that good with little hope of finding a replacement.
post #12657 of 13076 Old 08-24-2014, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaayoung View Post
None around at a reasonable price. How much did you pay for yours? If you got a deal and can't see the IR with regular content, I would consider keeping it. The ZT is that good with little hope of finding a replacement.
Yeah I agree with this. But I would still complain to the seller that it was not new in box as promised. Depending on the seller and how much they care about their reputation, you might get something thrown in as compensation. Or a small rebate. Worth a try at least, all they can do is say no.

Panasonic TC-P60ZT60 plasma panel
Sony BDP-S5100 Blu-ray player
Samsung SMT-H3272 DVR
Yamaha RX-V650 AVR
XBOX 360
URC MX-780 remote control
post #12658 of 13076 Old 08-24-2014, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member

Does anybody know why D-nice settings for Day and Night have motion smoother set to off? Just curious why he set them to off and other calibration settings set them to weak
post #12659 of 13076 Old 08-24-2014, 07:03 PM

Liked: 21
Quoted by fmalczewski,

"Oh, and finding a real nib zt60, good luck with that. (Maybe in Canada...)"

I talked to several major Panasonic dealers here in Toronto and they claim that there is lots of ZT60 panels still available here in Canada, one being a prominent boutique dealer by Bay and Bloor. They claim that Panasonic Canada received a lot of supply and stated to search the internet for the proof. How truthful this is, I don't know, but I have seen prices for online purchase of the ZT60 65 inch for 3-4 grand. However, I also know of some delears will not budge below 4 grand and others nothing below 4.5 grand.
post #12660 of 13076 Old 08-25-2014, 07:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edllguy View Post
Quoted by fmalczewski,

"Oh, and finding a real nib zt60, good luck with that. (Maybe in Canada...)"

I talked to several major Panasonic dealers here in Toronto and they claim that there is lots of ZT60 panels still available here in Canada, one being a prominent boutique dealer by Bay and Bloor. They claim that Panasonic Canada received a lot of supply and stated to search the internet for the proof. How truthful this is, I don't know, but I have seen prices for online purchase of the ZT60 65 inch for 3-4 grand. However, I also know of some delears will not budge below 4 grand and others nothing below 4.5 grand.

I got mine from a local brick n motar shop in brampton ( within the GTA ) last year and they are long sold out of any ZT60s....F8500s on the other hand are still in stock
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65zt60 65 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60zt60 60 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page