I received the fans and hub and went ahead with my ZT60 exterior fan mod plan.
It was not as hard as I thought it would be. I could not really use screws so I had to use tape; hopefully this will be long lasting!
The mod appears to be a success as it has brought all temps below 100°F, and eliminated several hot spots. It is also removable so as to not permanently affect the set.
I used four fans; originally I had anticipated using three. They are connected to a USB hub which I have plugged in separately. The hub has a switch on it and sits right behind the set, so I can easily switch it on and off. Ideally, the fans would turn on and off automatically with the set, but I am not comfortable using the USB power from the set's ports. I have no problem turning the fans off and on... it might be a bigger deal for some people.
4 x Thermaltake Mobilefan II 80mm External USB Case Fan
1 x Rosewill RHB-330 7 Ports USB 2.0 Hub with Power Adapter
2" x 36 yards 2 Mil Kapton Tape
3M Scotch 1/2-Inch by 36-Yard Double-Sided Foam Tape
This was my original plan:
This is what I ended up doing:
The four fans are all blowing air in
, since the three stock fans in the top of the set are blowing are out
. (I think the above pics are from a VT set since there is no fan in the top middle; the ZT60 definitely has a fan there.)
I removed the screws and nuts that came with the fans, and used standard PC fan screws to attach the logo grills to the side of the fans that take air in, and turned the fans' speed knob controllers around to face that side as well. The speed controller, if not hooked up, will result in the fans running at minimum speed. All four fans' speed controllers are set just above 3/4 of the way to maximum. Maximum is a bit too strong (and noisy) I feel.
I put a strip of the 3M double sided tape along all four edges of each fan, as well as two small strips in each fans' center. After attaching the fans and firmly pushing them in place, I put four strips of Kapton tape around the outside of each fan's border, half attached to the fan and half attached to the set. I put additional Kapton tape where needed to close any grill openings left around each fan. (Only grills with fans... I of course did not close any grills where there were no fans!)
Here are the original thermographs after the set has been on for 8+ hours without the 4 fan mod (at closer distances these temperature readings increase to ~120°F in the hottest areas):
Here are updated thermographs after the set has been on for 8+ hours with the 4 fan mod
(all temp readings stay below 100°F even at close readings):
I'm not sure if this will improve some of the issues I'm experiencing; time will tell. As I mentioned, the fans can be easily removed.