post #12661 of 12684 Old 08-25-2014, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_to_my_ear View Post
Does anybody know why D-nice settings for Day and Night have motion smoother set to off? Just curious why he set them to off and other calibration settings set them to weak
I would imagine that, like pretty much any calibrator or videophile, D-Nice is of the belief that the "cleaner" the signal the better, so video processing should be kept to a minimum. Or maybe in A/B testing he just wasn't able to see a benefit. That's my guess anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edllguy View Post
I talked to several major Panasonic dealers here in Toronto and they claim that there is lots of ZT60 panels still available here in Canada, one being a prominent boutique dealer by Bay and Bloor. They claim that Panasonic Canada received a lot of supply and stated to search the internet for the proof. How truthful this is, I don't know, but I have seen prices for online purchase of the ZT60 65 inch for 3-4 grand. However, I also know of some delears will not budge below 4 grand and others nothing below 4.5 grand.
Which may be why they still have panels available in Canada.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12662 of 12684 Old 08-25-2014, 06:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Does anybody know why D-nice settings for Day and Night have motion smoother set to off? Just curious why he set them to off and other calibration settings set them to weak
Quote:
Originally Posted by repete66211 View Post
I would imagine that, like pretty much any calibrator or videophile, D-Nice is of the belief that the "cleaner" the signal the better, so video processing should be kept to a minimum. Or maybe in A/B testing he just wasn't able to see a benefit. That's my guess anyway.

Which may be why they still have panels available in Canada.
Makes one wonder what the moving resolution is for the VT/ZT60 with motion smoother off......full 1200 lines? Im assuming so since D-nice had motion smoother off?
post #12663 of 12684 Old 08-26-2014, 06:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by discone View Post
Well today was the day I got our TC-P65ZT60 calibrated. I had the pleasure of Chad B's company. He arrived promptly at the scheduled appt. time where we then discussed viewing habits. After setting up the equipment he spent the next 4.5 hours fine tuning the day, night, and 3D picture modes. During this time Chad was both professional and personable answering all the questions I had .

The pre measurements were all off and all the post are now closer to where they should be. With the RGB almost flat and DE Avg. under 1. When finished it was time to try out the settings, Chad showed some content and I also checked out the settings with content we watch. The day mode with the extra brightness looks like it will help our daytime viewing as the house has many windows. I darkened the room to check out night which is the main viewing for BD movies. The detail and coloring was a lot better then before and I'm looking forward to the latest releases. The 3D mode is a little brighter, as with the depth and color while looking through the glasses more pronounced.

All in all I'm very happy with the way the ZT is now calibrated. I could go on and on but we have a movie to watch. My Thanks go out to Chad again for a job well done and answering questions I'm sure he's answered many time's before.
How many hours did you have? What was the max brightness Chad got out of your set? Curious to know!
post #12664 of 12684 Old 08-26-2014, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
How many hours did you have? What was the max brightness Chad got out of your set? Curious to know!
Just checked my hours and I have 3519. The ISF day mode is at 52 and looks so much better then THX Bright Room. The THX setting on my set had the skin tones greenish with red splotches.
post #12665 of 12684 Old 08-31-2014, 12:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by discone View Post
Well today was the day I got our TC-P65ZT60 calibrated. I had the pleasure of Chad B's company.
Thanks for posting your calibration comments. I've added a link to your post in the flat panel (post number two) lists that are linked in the signature area at the bottom of my post.

If you have further comments to make about your audio or video calibration, it would be great if you could use the edit command to add them to your original post. Enjoy.
discone likes this.
post #12666 of 12684 Old 08-31-2014, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post
Removing the air gap in the ZT60 eliminates seeing double images from extreme viewing angles -- nothing else. The Pioneer Kuro displays did the same thing using a single sheet of glass.

With two sheets of glass and an air gap, it's possible for some people to notice the image on both glass surfaces if they are sitting off angle to the set's sweet spot.
I was under the impression that both Panasonic and Samsung started bonding the plasma panel with the outer sheet of glass several years ago on all models. My 60F5300 has no air gap and no double images from the side. LG still uses dual pane with an air gap on their plasmas.

My 5 year old Panasonic 50S1 has an air gap, and the picture on the Samsung looks much clearer because of this.

Last edited by StinDaWg; 08-31-2014 at 01:46 PM.
post #12667 of 12684 Old 08-31-2014, 06:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post
I was under the impression that both Panasonic and Samsung started bonding the plasma panel with the outer sheet of glass several years ago on all models. My 60F5300 has no air gap and no double images from the side. LG still uses dual pane with an air gap on their plasmas.

My 5 year old Panasonic 50S1 has an air gap, and the picture on the Samsung looks much clearer because of this.
I can't say anything about over seas models. The Pioneer Kuro models were all single sheet glass. As far as I know, all Panasonic displays before the ZT60 model were double sheet glass. I've also assumed that all Samsung and LG plasma models sold in the US have been double sheet glass because Pioneer claimed to be the first to go with a single sheet.

Do you have a source for your information about Panasonic and Samsung?
post #12668 of 12684 Old Yesterday, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Forgive me if this is off-topic, but I wanted to praise and recommend a mount for the ZT65/ZT60. It's the MW Mounts™ 42" - 85" 150 lb. Capacity XL Full Motion Universal Mount MW150C75. They're currently on sale on costco.com. I bought one a couple weeks ago, and it was the easiest mount I've ever installed, plus it's really well engineered--smooth action, confidence-inspiring strength. And it has great aesthetics (that match the panel). I realize this sounds like a marketing brochure, but I have no connection whatsoever to MV Mounts (or to Costco for that matter). I'm just a really happy customer. Bought a second one today for a Samsung F8500.

My system? Google for: Martin Logan 420 CLX Descent Stage Summit
post #12669 of 12684 Old Yesterday, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I have a calibration question when using the Spears and Muncil calibration disc. I normally use the included blue filter that comes with the Spears and Muncil disc. However, I was told that the most efficient way to doing that calibration is to turn the red and green off and only have the blue active.

Does anyone know how to do this on the ZT60?

post #12670 of 12684 Old Yesterday, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 493
The zt60 doesn't have a blue only mode
Thxtheater likes this.
post #12671 of 12684 Old Yesterday, 04:23 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimshowalter View Post
Forgive me if this is off-topic, but I wanted to praise and recommend a mount for the ZT65/ZT60. It's the MW Mounts™ 42" - 85" 150 lb. Capacity XL Full Motion Universal Mount MW150C75. They're currently on sale on costco.com. I bought one a couple weeks ago, and it was the easiest mount I've ever installed, plus it's really well engineered--smooth action, confidence-inspiring strength. And it has great aesthetics (that match the panel). I realize this sounds like a marketing brochure, but I have no connection whatsoever to MV Mounts (or to Costco for that matter). I'm just a really happy customer. Bought a second one today for a Samsung F8500.
Thats nice to know. I bought the same mount a while back to use on a 54" V10. Will be mounting it soon now that I was able to sell a cabinet last week that was where I want to put mount the TV. Other that two older Sanus full motion mounts, that is the only other type I purchased. Thanks for the heads up.
post #12672 of 12684 Old Yesterday, 05:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post
The zt60 doesn't have a blue only mode
Super. Thanks for confirming that. I'll use the filter.

post #12673 of 12684 Old Yesterday, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Lightbulb ZT60 exterior fan mod

I received the fans and hub and went ahead with my ZT60 exterior fan mod plan.

It was not as hard as I thought it would be. I could not really use screws so I had to use tape; hopefully this will be long lasting!

The mod appears to be a success as it has brought all temps below 100°F, and eliminated several hot spots. It is also removable so as to not permanently affect the set.

I used four fans; originally I had anticipated using three. They are connected to a USB hub which I have plugged in separately. The hub has a switch on it and sits right behind the set, so I can easily switch it on and off. Ideally, the fans would turn on and off automatically with the set, but I am not comfortable using the USB power from the set's ports. I have no problem turning the fans off and on... it might be a bigger deal for some people.

Equipment used:

4 x Thermaltake Mobilefan II 80mm External USB Case Fan
1 x Rosewill RHB-330 7 Ports USB 2.0 Hub with Power Adapter
2" x 36 yards 2 Mil Kapton Tape
3M Scotch 1/2-Inch by 36-Yard Double-Sided Foam Tape

This was my original plan:

This is what I ended up doing:

The four fans are all blowing air in, since the three stock fans in the top of the set are blowing are out. (I think the above pics are from a VT set since there is no fan in the top middle; the ZT60 definitely has a fan there.)

I removed the screws and nuts that came with the fans, and used standard PC fan screws to attach the logo grills to the side of the fans that take air in, and turned the fans' speed knob controllers around to face that side as well. The speed controller, if not hooked up, will result in the fans running at minimum speed. All four fans' speed controllers are set just above 3/4 of the way to maximum. Maximum is a bit too strong (and noisy) I feel.

I put a strip of the 3M double sided tape along all four edges of each fan, as well as two small strips in each fans' center. After attaching the fans and firmly pushing them in place, I put four strips of Kapton tape around the outside of each fan's border, half attached to the fan and half attached to the set. I put additional Kapton tape where needed to close any grill openings left around each fan. (Only grills with fans... I of course did not close any grills where there were no fans!)

Results:

Here are the original thermographs after the set has been on for 8+ hours without the 4 fan mod (at closer distances these temperature readings increase to ~120°F in the hottest areas):

Here are updated thermographs after the set has been on for 8+ hours with the 4 fan mod (all temp readings stay below 100°F even at close readings):

I'm not sure if this will improve some of the issues I'm experiencing; time will tell. As I mentioned, the fans can be easily removed.
post #12674 of 12684 Old Yesterday, 05:56 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
How close are you proud owners sitting to your ZT60's for your viewing enjoyment?

Thanks

Last edited by Edllguy; Yesterday at 06:00 PM.
post #12675 of 12684 Old Yesterday, 07:07 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
How close are you proud owners sitting to your ZT60's for your viewing enjoyment?
I have a 65" and I sit about 8 feet away. It's awesome for football and most programming but it still seems small with 2.4:1 movies.

Jim
Edllguy likes this.
post #12676 of 12684 Old Yesterday, 08:56 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can someone please shed some light on the whole 4:4:4 vs 4:4:2 setting. Jeff Meir set my blu ray player to 4:4:2 and it looks great. However with a couple movies in 3d there is noticeable flicker during dark scenes. When I change the hdmi output to 4:4:4 the flicker goes away. I can't help to notice that scenes do look sharper with 4:4:2 selected but reading through this forum everyone recommends 4:4:4. I'd like to not have to keep changing it so any help is appreciated.
post #12677 of 12684 Old Yesterday, 09:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by weds31 View Post
Can someone please shed some light on the whole 4:4:4 vs 4:4:2 setting. Jeff Meir set my blu ray player to 4:4:2 and it looks great. However with a couple movies in 3d there is noticeable flicker during dark scenes. When I change the hdmi output to 4:4:4 the flicker goes away. I can't help to notice that scenes do look sharper with 4:4:2 selected but reading through this forum everyone recommends 4:4:4. I'd like to not have to keep changing it so any help is appreciated.
What player are you using? You might also ask Jeff for advice.
post #12678 of 12684 Old Yesterday, 09:38 PM

I'm using the Panasonic BDT 330. I've had so many problems with the player freezing on me. Have had to unplug it from the back of the player countless times.
post #12679 of 12684 Old Today, 01:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by weds31 View Post
I'm using the Panasonic BDT 330. I've had so many problems with the player freezing on me. Have had to unplug it from the back of the player countless times.
I've been using YCbCr 4:4:4 on my Oppos. If you look at your tv settings, the one for "1080p pure direct" in its help it says "Enables the support of 4:4:4 digital video format signal. Use only with a 4:4:4 capable source". Works fine. If you got it, flaunt it.

I've been using deep color settings also, recently, to help alleviate some of the banding and it seems to have helped (nothing conclusive, though, but does seem less frequent (coming up empty trying to remember the last time I saw any since making the change)). Basically I selected "36 bits" for the Oppo's DeepColor setting (and no dithering). (But only on the player connected directly to the tv, so far. Not sure my receiver knows about deep color.)
post #12680 of 12684 Old Today, 03:04 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:

Thanks

With the 65" that all depends if I'm sitting straight up then it's at 9' and in the semi-reclined position then it's closer to 9 1/2' which is most viewing.

I try to stay away from the fully reclined position at about 10' for in that position I won't get to view much for I'd have fallen asleep.

Last edited by discone; Today at 03:50 AM.
post #12681 of 12684 Old Today, 04:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post

I think on the VT60 you need to be at an extreme angle to even notice a double image, an angle you would not sit at to watch a TV. You have to get right up to the side of the TV and really look for it. Definitely not an issue.
post #12682 of 12684 Old Today, 05:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I really wish Panasonic had made a way that THX bright mode would activate when there is a certain ambient light and then when the room becomes dark go to THX cinema automatically. That would have been awesome. Finding a good setting for both bright and dark rooms is impossible without switching back and fourth. I tried CATS for thx bright, it doesn't work that great, makes it way too dark when the lights go down.
post #12683 of 12684 Old Today, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmalczewski View Post
I've been using YCbCr 4:4:4 on my Oppos. If you look at your tv settings, the one for "1080p pure direct" in its help it says "Enables the support of 4:4:4 digital video format signal. Use only with a 4:4:4 capable source". Works fine. If you got it, flaunt it.

I've been using deep color settings also, recently, to help alleviate some of the banding and it seems to have helped (nothing conclusive, though, but does seem less frequent (coming up empty trying to remember the last time I saw any since making the change)). Basically I selected "36 bits" for the Oppo's DeepColor setting (and no dithering). (But only on the player connected directly to the tv, so far. Not sure my receiver knows about deep color.)

I was under the impression that deep color needed to be left off on everything. I don't think my player has that setting. I'll have to play around with it some more. Thanks
post #12684 of 12684 Old Today, 09:29 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendell View Post
I received the fans and hub and went ahead with my ZT60 exterior fan mod plan.

It was not as hard as I thought it would be. I could not really use screws so I had to use tape; hopefully this will be long lasting!

The mod appears to be a success as it has brought all temps below 100°F, and eliminated several hot spots. It is also removable so as to not permanently affect the set.

I'm not sure if this will improve some of the issues I'm experiencing; time will tell. As I mentioned, the fans can be easily removed.
That's impressive!

Some questions:

1) Can you post a photo of the back after the fans are attached?

2) What are you using to record the thermographs?

3) Did this reduce noise, increase noise, or have no effect on noise?

My system? Google for: Martin Logan 420 CLX Descent Stage Summit
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65zt60 65 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60zt60 60 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page