Forum Jump: 

post #12721 of 12726 Old 09-11-2014, 08:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post
Thanks got one now the question is how do I wall mount it?
Here's how I mount my flat panels, and I have mounted 4 of them around 10+ times since 2005 and never had a problem:

For walls with wood studs: I use 3/4" furniture grade plywood to attach to the wall. Before install the plywood to the wall, I paint the plywood to match the color of the wall. I usually cut the plywood large enough to overlap three studs, say 30"x48". But, if you only cover two studs that shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure the plywood will be hidden behind the TV once it's mounted. Use a stud finder to mark the studs. Attach the plywood to the studs with 6-9 2.5" wood screws. For wood screws when mounting a TV, I like deck screws since they are very strong. I attach the mounting bracket to the plywood with 6 1.5" wood screws. Depending on where the studs are in the wall, you can move the mounting bracket to where it's centered on the on the wall. (Since the weight TV will be transfered to the studs, it doesn't matter where the mounting bracket is attached on the plywood. You made also need washers for the screws, depending on the gap on the bracket.) Important: after you install the bracket to the wall, test the weight by attaching a rope over the bracket and hanging your weight off the bracket. Whatever your weight is, the mount should hold that amount of weight. To attach the tv to the bracket and arm, following the instructions included with the mount.

For walls that are brick: I drill a hole in the brick and install 3/8" Red Heads anchor bolts. I then bolt the plywood to the wall via the Red Head anchor bolts. I then use 3/4" screws to attach the mounting bracket to the plywood. Once again, test the weight carrying ability of the mount by hanging your weight from the bracket. If the mount can hold your weight, they you should be good up to that weight. Attaching a TV to a brick wall seems more risky in my opinion. I've only mounted one TV to a brick wall. Although I never had a problem, I prefer attaching the bracket to studs.

For walls with metal studs: no clue. Let me know how you do it!

Making sure you hit the studs is the most important step. You can always pre-drill areas that will be covered by the plywood to make sure the studs are where you think they are.

Tip for lifting a heavy TV higher than your shoulders (ie: over a fireplace): My first Panasonic plasma is a 50" 500U. With my full motion Sanus mount attached, the combined weight is around 125 lbs. When I mount this TV high on the wall, I rent an AC lift from either HD or Lowes. I clamp a plywood base to the AC forks. I place the TV with stand still attached on the plywood. I then install the mount arms to the TV. I then crank the lift up and extend the mounting arm to where it attaches to the mounting bracket already attached on the wall. AC lifts can be transported in a van since they break down. Last time I rented one, it was around $100/day. If the lift won't go high enough, just build up the height with wood studs stacked up and screwed together and clamped to the AC lift forks.

Another suggestion, take off your rings/bracelets off when handling the TV, so you don't scratch the TV.

Last edited by eaayoung; 09-11-2014 at 08:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12722 of 12726 Old 09-12-2014, 04:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I need some help and advice with the ZT60. I was watching the movie All is Lost on Blu-ray and the color banding in a lot of scenes was terrible. I've also noticed slight banding on the Netflix House of Cards intro segment.

I've noticed the banding in my calibrated modes as well as the default THX and cinema modes.

I've calibrated my set with the Spears and Muncil disc in the pro modes.

My bottom line question is if this banding is a problem with the disc and netflix or if my set needs further calibration.

Thanks!
post #12723 of 12726 Old Yesterday, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thxtheater View Post
I need some help and advice with the ZT60. I was watching the movie All is Lost on Blu-ray and the color banding in a lot of scenes was terrible. I've also noticed slight banding on the Netflix House of Cards intro segment.

I've noticed the banding in my calibrated modes as well as the default THX and cinema modes.

My bottom line question is if this banding is a problem with the disc and netflix or if my set needs further calibration.

Thanks!
Some heavily compressed source material may show banding. I wouldn't use Netflix to determine video quality, but most Blu-ray's should have very high quality video. I have not seen the All Is Lost Blu-ray personally, but Widescreen Review gave it high marks for video quality. I imagine it has a lot of dark scenes and blue water scenes both of which can really showcase banding issues.

Usually banding is introduced by the display. It is an extremely common problem in digital displays. It is due to not having a smooth grayscale. Color is effectively overlaid onto an underlying black and white image. As the display goes from black to white red, green, and blue must increase in same proportions. In almost all consumer displays this is not correct out of the box. For example at dark gray red may be too high then at light gray red is fine but blue is too low and so on as you get to white. Smooth gradients and fade ins/outs will make this sort of problem very visible.

Many displays do not have enough bit-depth in their processing engines to completely calibrate this sort of thing out, particularly in the shadows. Luckily the ZT60 grayscale can be made pretty darn smooth. It's quite a finicky set to calibrate, but it can get pretty smooth. I've calibrated mine and it is really close to flawless, with just a few small blips that are hardly noticeable. If I worked on it a bit more I think I might be able to work those out too but I'm content with what I've got. The default THX mode is okay on my set though it does exhibit some banding, over saturation, incorrect white point, etc. Most people wouldn't notice and be happy with THX mode but if you look at it critically there's definitely banding.

Someone with a lot of experience might be able to improve the grayscale by eye, but to get it correct you really need some sort of meter and software. That means paying a professional or investing in some HW & SW and teaching yourself. Calibrating by eye with a DVD really only gets the broadest of controls correct which on this set really aren't far off by default.
post #12724 of 12726 Old Yesterday, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
All is Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thxtheater View Post

Thanks!
My ZT60 is not calibrated but I seldom notice color banding. I rented All is Lost on blu-ray and caught segments on cable and noticed significant banding in certain scenes. The banding would come and go throughout the presentation. I suspect the banding may be inherent to the source. I doubt there is a problem with your set.
post #12725 of 12726 Old Today, 05:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Thanks guys. My TV is fine. I'm not implying it's defective. I just didn't know if any of you with calibrated sets have experienced the banding in "All is Lost."

I mentioned "House of Cards" via AppleTV because that's an easy reference for comparison by others--even though it's compressed.

What I'm specifically wondering about is if the banding is due to some specific calibration setting. In other words, x y or z setting is usually where you go to fine time the set to address banding issues (assuming it's not the source).

Of all the movies I've watched I've never seen banding so frequent and so pronounced as I did with "All is Lost" on Blu-Ray. Therefore perhaps this disc is a reference torture test for banding??

Last edited by Thxtheater; Today at 05:18 AM.
post #12726 of 12726 Old Today, 05:16 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 45
There is no perfect panel.

A long-time Kuro owner, I recently bought a TCP65ZT60 and a PN64F8500, before plasma is completely gone.

The Panasonic has the best picture I've ever seen: deepest blacks, most-lifelike colors. Just amazing.

But the Panasonic seems to have been slapped together. It's kind of a beta version. The fans are notorious for generating beat frequencies that are quite annoying, the thing gets incredibly hot, and at least in some cases it generates subwoofer hum. Owners have to basically finish the engineering that Panasonic should have done--adding diverter fans, measuring heat and sticking fans on the back to control it, and (in my case anyway), using an EMF meter and MuMetal shielding to try to knock down the hum.

Compared to the Pansonic, the Samsung is much much better engineered. No fan noise, runs much cooler, no subwoofer hum. Even the 3D glasses are better--light, comfortable, easier to replace the battery. And no distracting bright metal trim visible from the front. And you can still get insurance.

It's just that, well... the Samsung makes everything look like it's shot on video. Like daytime soaps. At first I thought it was the movie (which I hadn't seen before), so I switched to some Blu-rays I've seen multiple times, and they also looked like "All My Children". It's not the LCD "clay-face" problem. Instead, it's an utter lack of filmic quality. Things are too crisp, kind of fakey, like everything is CGI (even people). I fiddled around with various settings and got it to look better, but it still doesn't look realistic. Also the darks aren't quite as good.

Does anyone else have both panels? If so, do you have the same experience?
rifleman69 and Edllguy like this.

My system? Google for: Martin Logan 420 CLX Descent Stage Summit

Last edited by jimshowalter; Today at 05:47 PM.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65zt60 65 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60zt60 60 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page