post #12781 of 12786 Old Yesterday, 08:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_to_my_ear View Post
Just curious - Anybody else notice black levels are slighty higher ( worse ) when watching 3D movies? Or is it just me?
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmalczewski View Post
With or without the glasses?

I found the default THX 3D settings pretty abysmal (lots of viewing artifacts, cartoonish colors). Try the Sound & Vision 3D settings, if you haven't already. (And turn off motion smoothing altogether, set to 96Hz, not 120.)

It's been a while since I watched 3D.

Probably a real calibration would be necessary to get black levels to match, if it's even possible.

With 3D glasses.

Without them black levels are obviously lighter. But with them on low apl scenes I notice they are no where near as deep as in 2D mode. I use Vivid with colour temp 2 and colour is dropped a bit to 45. Brightness is 0. I don't use THX cinema. I used S&V settings for a while but still feel black levels are raised. However on very bright scenes or some bright mid apl scenes the wide screens will appear to vanish which is a nice touch.

I don't think a full calibration would deepen black levels at all. It would increase accuracy of gamma but black levels majority of the time will always stay the same unless the owner doesn't have a clue what they were doing with settings and had brightness raised all the way past +10

Im assuming Panasonic wanted to achieve maximum peak brightness in 3D mode so brightness was raised as well

FWIW, I can attest that watching a 3D movie on the 65ZT60 is like watching a movie in a cinema. The image isn't very bright but its good enough. Its VERY easy on the eyes just like a cinema experience is. There are moments in scenes where even a glimpse of the sun or flashlight or explosion would momentarily be bright enough for me to squint my eyes so as not to be blinded

Last edited by music_to_my_ear; Yesterday at 08:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12782 of 12786 Old Yesterday, 09:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by B T C View Post
Doesn't the WOW pixel flipper activate the ABL?
No idea. Only second time I've even tried it. (Think it worked well the first time too, but the navigation bar IR seems to always come back sooner or later, these days way sooner than later.)
post #12783 of 12786 Old Yesterday, 09:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by music_to_my_ear View Post
With 3D glasses.

Without them black levels are obviously lighter. But with them on low apl scenes I notice they are no where near as deep as in 2D mode. I use Vivid with colour temp 2 and colour is dropped a bit to 45. Brightness is 0. I don't use THX cinema. I used S&V settings for a while but still feel black levels are raised. However on very bright scenes or some bright mid apl scenes the wide screens will appear to vanish which is a nice touch.

I don't think a full calibration would deepen black levels at all. It would increase accuracy of gamma but black levels majority of the time will always stay the same unless the owner doesn't have a clue what they were doing with settings and had brightness raised all the way past +10

Im assuming Panasonic wanted to achieve maximum peak brightness in 3D mode so brightness was raised as well

FWIW, I can attest that watching a 3D movie on the 65ZT60 is like watching a movie in a cinema. The image isn't very bright but its good enough. Its VERY easy on the eyes just like a cinema experience is. There are moments in scenes where even a glimpse of the sun or flashlight or explosion would momentarily be bright enough for me to squint my eyes so as not to be blinded
Vivid... like I said when I first tried 3D early on I got cartoon colors (I'm thinking with default out of the box settings, but maybe not)... would prefer realistic colors, can't imagine Vivid would provide them regardless of 2D or 3D. S&V was much more realistic than my prior settings.

But from recollection, you may be right, I have a vague recollection of some washed out black levels here and there, but for the most part, it's 3D, it's not going to reach 2D PQ on this set, so given it works pretty darn well (from my fairly limited, quite a while ago experience), not a big issue for me. If you have Prometheus 3D, give that a look, that's the last thing I partly watched. Lots of blacks to play with. (Have a couple newer ones to check out, maybe next couple weeks I'll finally get around to them.)

[I've never seen 3D in a movie theater, fwiw. About 4 or 5 blu-rays to date is about it.]
post #12784 of 12786 Old Yesterday, 10:57 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmalczewski View Post
Perhaps, but I'm pretty happy otherwise with THX Cinema settings per my adjustments, and a bit of a tightwad to boot. May give one of the other flavors a try though -- the pixel orbiter bugs me a little, but may be the bullet I need to bite.

Have the Sound & Vision settings in Pro 1 or 2 from when they were first published, but contrast and/or brightness levels were way high when I tried them out, above and beyond my sensitivity threshold to phosphor lag. May be time to get back to them and unboost those levels some. The S&V settings were when I first realized there was an alternative to the not so white whites that THX Cinema Warm 2 was giving me; had some pretty decent coloring to it as well.

I gave the set a two hour session of WOW pixel flipper in Vivid mode last night, and skipping the dvr and straight to the Oppo today, the screen was clean. My test case is the white room scene early on in Under The Skin; had some of the purplish (mix of red and blue) color artifacts when I watched it the other day, now it's pure white (where it's supposed to be pure white ).
Why would you buy a ZT if you are a tightwad ? Much cheaper options out there. Here's the thing though, would you buy a Ferrari and pootle round in 2nd gear all the time ? At the moment, you are not getting what your ZT is capable of giving, for the sake of a few hundred notes ?

As far as your "not so white whites" are concerned, they were true white; what you have now are blue whites, not accurate. THX colours are also way off, pro will give you a much more accurate result even before calibration.

Panasonic ZT65 (isf calibrated) / Cambridge Audio 752BD / Pioneer LX55 / Dual CS506 / Sky + HD / Tannoy Arena 5.1 / Isotek Mira / QED Cables
post #12785 of 12786 Old Today, 12:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloverleaf View Post
Why would you buy a ZT if you are a tightwad ? Much cheaper options out there. Here's the thing though, would you buy a Ferrari and pootle round in 2nd gear all the time ? At the moment, you are not getting what your ZT is capable of giving, for the sake of a few hundred notes ?

As far as your "not so white whites" are concerned, they were true white; what you have now are blue whites, not accurate. THX colours are also way off, pro will give you a much more accurate result even before calibration.
Disagree. Come on over and see.
post #12786 of 12786 Old Today, 04:40 AM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I thought the THX settings on the VT & ZT were pretty close to optimal.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65zt60 65 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60zt60 60 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page