Forum Jump: 
post #12871 of 13144 Old 10-09-2014, 05:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thxtheater View Post
Is the buzzing from a specific part of the set or from all over the front of the panel? Is it louder on one side or area than another?

It's coming from the left and right side of the panel - basically where the boards with the heat sinks sit hence I thought it was the boards. After the repair guy opened it up and listened to the boards, he concluded that is wasn't the sinks vibrating. Interestingly, the sound changes slightly when I tilt the TV up and down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12872 of 13144 Old 10-09-2014, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgutle View Post
My ZT60 didn't have any of the fan noise or other issues listed in the thread - I was a happy camper until 3 weeks ago. We moved to a new house - my "baby" was carefully stowed in it's original packaging and moved carefully to the new location. Alas, this is when the problems started. The set begun to emit plasma buzzing to an extent where you can here it when watching TV shows with normal volume from 8 feet away - it obviously gets louder the brighter the screen is. It definitely didn't buzz in my old house. I tried unplugging my surge protector like other people have suggested and plug the TV directly into the outlet but to no effect. I called Panasonic and got a repair guy assigned to case who showed up 2 days later. He checked all the screws on the boards (which seemed to have been an issue in the past) but they were all tight. He also checked the boards and concluded that it's the panel itself that creates the buzzing. He took a dB measurement with his iPhone - apparently with an app that Panasonic has approved - and the reading was 32dB with Standard settings and 34dB with THX Cinema 3 feet away. Unfortunately, these readings are below Panasonic's threshold for a warranty claim so there is nothing to do. I will try and do my own dB reading since the buzzing is so annoying that 34dB seems low to me - although the dB scale is always tricky to judge by. That being said, does anyone have any other ideas for reducing the plasma buzzing or am I stuck with this?
IMO it can only be one of two things, either room acoustics related or its related to a power issue in the new home. Mounted in the same way in both locations ? Stand vs wall mounted for example.
mo949 likes this.

65VT60(Calibrated by Chad B)
55ST60(Calibrated by Chunon)
Darbee DVP5000
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #12873 of 13144 Old 10-09-2014, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post
IMO it can only be one of two things, either room acoustics related or its related to a power issue in the new home. Mounted in the same way in both locations ? Stand vs wall mounted for example.
Yes, both wall mounted but I also tried having it on the stand in both locations and there is a clear difference. I was thinking power issues as well but I tried different outlets with the same result. What power issues would cause this to happen? "Power issues" is a pretty broad term :-)
post #12874 of 13144 Old 10-09-2014, 06:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Quote:
Is the buzzing from a specific part of the set or from all over the front of the panel? Is it louder on one side or area than another?

It's coming from the left and right side of the panel - basically where the boards with the heat sinks sit hence I thought it was the boards. After the repair guy opened it up and listened to the boards, he concluded that is wasn't the sinks vibrating. Interestingly, the sound changes slightly when I tilt the TV up and down.
It may not be a defect in the set but the presence of DC offset on the power lines. That causes transformers to go nuts.

If you have lots of dimmers in the new house that may be a culprit. You can test it by turning off the power at the breaker to everything in the house except for the plasma.

If the buzzing goes down or disappears then you have your culprit.
post #12875 of 13144 Old 10-09-2014, 06:26 AM

Quote:
It may not be a defect in the set but the presence of DC offset on the power lines. That causes transformers to go nuts.

If you have lots of dimmers in the new house that may be a culprit. You can test it by turning off the power at the breaker to everything in the house except for the plasma.

Thanks for the insight - I do have a lot of dimmers in the new house so I will try it when it get home tonight. That being said, I was always under the impression that the transformer in the ZT60 sits in the middle as opposed to the sides but I might be wrong.
post #12876 of 13144 Old 10-09-2014, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Does anyone have any tips on hiding an HDMI cable when flush mounted. The HDMI ports are very close to the side of the tv. When I hook an HDMI cable directly in, the TV won't go flat to the wall without the cable being exposed. It's a little annoying to spend this much on a TV, mount, on wall speakers, etc, to have a perfectly flat system and then have a cable sticking out.

Anyone found a solution for this?
post #12877 of 13144 Old 10-09-2014, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by zgeneral View Post
Does anyone have any tips on hiding an HDMI cable when flush mounted. The HDMI ports are very close to the side of the tv. When I hook an HDMI cable directly in, the TV won't go flat to the wall without the cable being exposed. It's a little annoying to spend this much on a TV, mount, on wall speakers, etc, to have a perfectly flat system and then have a cable sticking out.

There's 270 degree HDMI adapters that you can use to run the cable flat across the back. I use two piggy backed together.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2
post #12878 of 13144 Old 10-09-2014, 09:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by zgeneral View Post

see above for the adapters and the Ultra Slim Series High Performance HDMI might also work

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 - Oppo BDP-103D - Panasonic DMP-BDT220 - Toshiba HD-DVD-3A - OPPO DV-981HD - Harmony 880
Onkyo TX-NR809 --- Definitive Technology - Studio Monitor 65 (2) - CS8040HD - Studio Monitor 45 (2) - Super Cube 6000
post #12879 of 13144 Old 10-09-2014, 09:07 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by whipit View Post
There's 270 degree HDMI adapters that you can use to run the cable flat across the back. I use two piggy backed together.

I have considered this solution for my ZT60. Does it matter or affect the signal quality when you are adding these angled HDMI adapters to a good quality HDMI cable that is already in place in the chain?

I always thought that the less breaks or additions to the "HDMI chain" is the best way to go?

What do you guys think or what is the technical answer to this concern?

Thanks
post #12880 of 13144 Old 10-09-2014, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
as a best buy employee we will always go above and beyond to serve your customers needs. to my knowledge we are completely out of all panasonic plasma in the company! panasonic lover? keep getting the parts replaced. Don't mind but a plasma owner? buy the samsung we have so many of those left
post #12881 of 13144 Old 10-09-2014, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 70
A regular poster Randy Walters had shown a picture of his test. He had connected ten different styles of adapters together and had no issues. So it shouldn't be a problem, being digital it either works or it doesn't. You can look up his name and find the pic from there to see it. I have two plasmas with this setup and have no issues.
Edllguy likes this.
post #12882 of 13144 Old 10-09-2014, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyftedLyfe View Post
as a best buy employee we will always go above and beyond to serve your customers needs. to my knowledge we are completely out of all panasonic plasma in the company! panasonic lover? keep getting the parts replaced. Don't mind but a plasma owner? buy the samsung we have so many of those left
Sale's talk 101.
rifleman69 likes this.
post #12883 of 13144 Old 10-09-2014, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edllguy View Post
I have considered this solution for my ZT60. Does it matter or affect the signal quality when you are adding these angled HDMI adapters to a good quality HDMI cable that is already in place in the chain?

I always thought that the less breaks or additions to the "HDMI chain" is the best way to go?

Thanks
Edllguy,

The first year I had the ZT hooked up I used 3 piggyback sets and never once had an issue. Of course with anything the more breaks in the chain the more possibility for something to go wrong and more work to try and track it down. Since it is only a couple of adapters and a cable I would not worry to much and give it a try. Now that I have an AVR I only use 1 piggyback set and every thing is still going fine with excellent PQ.
Edllguy likes this.
post #12884 of 13144 Old 10-09-2014, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Thanks for the insight - I do have a lot of dimmers in the new house so I will try it when it get home tonight. That being said, I was always under the impression that the transformer in the ZT60 sits in the middle as opposed to the sides but I might be wrong.
Hi hgutle, did you move from low to high elevation (ie. mountains)? I read on CNET that a plasma has to drive harder at high elevations and so can buzz more. So thought I'ld ask.

http://www.cnet.com/news/plasma-tv-a...h-can-they-go/

I like Thxtheatre's explanation better. FWIW, my ZT60 exhibits no buzzing that I can detect. It is plugged into an outlet that is literally 3 feet from the main fuse box for the house. Maybe that's helping it.

Panasonic TC-P60ZT60 plasma panel
Sony BDP-S5100 Blu-ray player
Samsung SMT-H3272 DVR
Yamaha RX-V650 AVR
XBOX 360
URC MX-780 remote control

Last edited by sooke; 10-09-2014 at 12:00 PM.
post #12885 of 13144 Old 10-09-2014, 12:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by whipit View Post
A regular poster Randy Walters had shown a picture of his test. He had connected ten different styles of adapters together and had no issues. So it shouldn't be a problem, being digital it either works or it doesn't. You can look up his name and find the pic from there to see it. I have two plasmas with this setup and have no issues.
Yeah, I saw the discussion just the other day or two and can't remember where…

http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...92&cat=2082686
Edllguy likes this.
post #12886 of 13144 Old 10-09-2014, 04:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edllguy View Post

Thanks
If you're having HDMI related troubles then extra connections are always tops on the suspect list. If you try the adapters and they work in your setup then all is well.

Another solution is using a Redmere HDMI cable from Monoprice. They are 36 AWG and very flexible.
Edllguy likes this.
post #12887 of 13144 Old 10-10-2014, 08:27 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
hi Guys,

I found this interesting...recently i had my zt60 calibrated by Kevin Miller and while going through the settings again I toggled 'hdmi content' in advanced picture setting to 'graphic'. the photo looks really clearer under 'graphic' compares to other setting including 'off' which I had it before.

maybe not everyone like this setting, but give it a try. I found the effect of 'graphic' is like removing aa filter, or un blur the picture and not really just adding contrast to the edge
Chere and whipit like this.
post #12888 of 13144 Old 10-11-2014, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliofree View Post
hi Guys,

I found this interesting...recently i had my zt60 calibrated by Kevin Miller and while going through the settings again I toggled 'hdmi content' in advanced picture setting to 'graphic'. the photo looks really clearer under 'graphic' compares to other setting including 'off' which I had it before.

maybe not everyone like this setting, but give it a try. I found the effect of 'graphic' is like removing aa filter, or un blur the picture and not really just adding contrast to the edge
Not sure it this is still applicable but in previous years that setting impacted the CMS settings like color saturation. I would check with Kevin and see if he thinks it will skew your calibration.

65VT60(Calibrated by Chad B)
55ST60(Calibrated by Chunon)
Darbee DVP5000
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #12889 of 13144 Old 10-11-2014, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 112
I like it. It makes the picture a little sharper and seems to bring out the details. You can pause on a scene and toggle with it which lets you easily see the effects. It reminds me of the darbee feature on my Oppo 103D actually. I encourage others to try it
post #12890 of 13144 Old 10-12-2014, 08:46 AM

Quote:

Ok, so I finally had some time to play with the power setup of the house and unfortunately it didn't help. After turning off all breakers, the buzzing still persists at the same intensity. This is getting really frustrating :-(
post #12891 of 13144 Old 10-12-2014, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 31
U-VERSE BLACK CRUSH

This is an alert for those using a U-Verse receiver and experiencing a significant loss of detail or a picture too dark: Its well known that some U-VERSE receivers have a bug sending a non-standard signal through HDMI. More precisely, they send a RGB range of 0-255 instead of 16-255, causing the so called black crush if your display is set to standard mode. One of the ways to correct this is to set the HDMI/DVI RGB RANGE, under the picture settings, to AUTO instead of standard. If you are processing the signal through a AV receiver or any other video processor, this will not work because the signal from the processor will be recognized as "standard". Make sure, in this case, to avoid the processing sending the signal as "pure" or "as is". Many posts on AT&T U-VERSE forum make reference to this problem but so far no fix has been sent. This affects ONLY HDMI , components will send the proper 16-255 range.

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy

Last edited by slimoli; 10-12-2014 at 01:42 PM.
post #12892 of 13144 Old 10-12-2014, 08:19 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Ok, so I finally had some time to play with the power setup of the house and unfortunately it didn't help. After turning off all breakers, the buzzing still persists at the same intensity. This is getting really frustrating :-(
I can tell you from my expierence when I moved it likely the room it's in now. Are the dimensions the same. When I moved I had the tv in a bedroom around 12x14 size and the tv as louder. I could hear buzz and fans more. When it is in an open living room i can't hear it at all. If I put my head next to the tv I could barely hear it. So it my be the room acoustics that reflect it more in one direction. YMMV
post #12893 of 13144 Old 10-13-2014, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason626 View Post
I can tell you from my expierence when I moved it likely the room it's in now. Are the dimensions the same. When I moved I had the tv in a bedroom around 12x14 size and the tv as louder. I could hear buzz and fans more. When it is in an open living room i can't hear it at all. If I put my head next to the tv I could barely hear it. So it my be the room acoustics that reflect it more in one direction. YMMV

You are right, it could very well be the room acoustics. I will do one last check on the power piece though. I'm about to order a UPS which produces a clean sine wave and will let the TV run of the battery to see if that changes anything. If not, it can probably only be the room or some strange EMF thing.
post #12894 of 13144 Old 10-13-2014, 10:35 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is anyone using their ZT for gaming?

I've had my ZT for a year and two months now. Love the screen.

Have never used it for gaming - have my PS4 and Xbox One hooked up to a much smaller, ******** screen near my computer.

But lately, I've been thinking - maybe I should take the plunge and just the ZT for gaming.

I guess as long as I don't game for hours on end, I should be ok to avoid IR or Burn In.

Right?

Anyone have thoughts?

Thanks!
post #12895 of 13144 Old 10-13-2014, 11:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurajDas2013 View Post

Have never used it for gaming - have my PS4 and Xbox One hooked up to a much smaller, ******** screen near my computer.

But lately, I've been thinking - maybe I should take the plunge and just the ZT for gaming.

I guess as long as I don't game for hours on end, I should be ok to avoid IR or Burn In.

Right?

Anyone have thoughts?

Thanks!
You're fine. Just don't hit pause and leave it sit...try and mix games so the HUD varies. Watch full screen media in between... Enjoy!
SurajDas2013 likes this.
post #12896 of 13144 Old 10-14-2014, 06:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:

Right?

Anyone have thoughts?

Thanks!
As long as your ok with having to remove IR that may take a long time to go away. I would suggest you read this thread. Members who are having problems with persistent IR are usually gamers. I'm fortunate my ZT has never had any longterm IR problems. But if it were me, I would continue using a different set since I don't think I could tolerate longterm IR on my ZT.

Last edited by eaayoung; 10-15-2014 at 06:37 AM.
post #12897 of 13144 Old 10-14-2014, 07:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:

Right?

Anyone have thoughts?

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quill View Post
You're fine. Just don't hit pause and leave it sit...try and mix games so the HUD varies. Watch full screen media in between... Enjoy!
worst advice ever.

Suraj, try not to use the zt60 for gaming....if you do, use it for 1-2 hours/session and then run screen wipe for 20-30 mins.

FWIW.....I completed Crysis 3 on my zt60 with most achievements earned. Took about 10-12 hours in total. 1-2 hours/night for 2 months-ish.

No IR.

However, some owners have gotten IR and burn in from shorter sessions

Last edited by music_to_my_ear; 10-14-2014 at 07:29 AM.
post #12898 of 13144 Old 10-14-2014, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:

Right?

Anyone have thoughts?

Thanks!
I've been gaming on my ZT since the very beginning. Some games (i.e. Gears of War, the latest Assassin's Creed) cause IR and others don't. It really comes down to what's on the HUD and how bright it is. If the HUD has a static white icon you might get IR. Regardless, even the most persistent IR has faded with normal, non-game content. Don't be afraid to use the TV for gaming, just ease into it.
puch96 likes this.

post #12899 of 13144 Old 10-14-2014, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

Right?

Anyone have thoughts?

Thanks!
Just be careful with Destiny. The lower left part of the screen takes some abuse
post #12900 of 13144 Old 10-14-2014, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliofree View Post
hi Guys,

I had this setting to on the whole time I had my ZT60, but I really think it adds some form of motion artifacts.. so I turned it back off. Much easier on the eyes. Kind of like screen door effect.
Just FYI
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65zt60 65 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60zt60 60 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page