Official ZT60 Owners Thread - Page 432 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #12931 of 12954 Old 10-19-2014, 08:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 1
How many ZT60s were manufactured?

Does anyone have a number on how many ZTs were actually produced?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12932 of 12954 Old 10-19-2014, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Which ABC Warehouse did you purchase from? If the television has burn in, can it be returned, or are you just going to live with it and hope it goes away? Did you get a good price?
post #12933 of 12954 Old 10-19-2014, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technikos View Post
Yes it is ABC Warehouse.
looks like I'm too far for delivery (DC area)
post #12934 of 12954 Old 10-19-2014, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I R issues on mine too

My 60 inch ZT 60 was purchased about a year ago. It was calibrated by ChadB at about 300 hours. It now has about 750 hours. The History Channel logo has taken up ghost residence on my screen. I probably watched that channel about 20 % of the sets use. I have totally avoided it the past month and the image can still be seen, although perhaps a bit less. I use the night pro mode most of the time, never torch mode. I previously had a 2007 Panny plasma, and a Pioneer 6020. Absolutely no image retention issues. I also have a Panny S 64 I bought about 15 months ago at Costco. It too shows absolutely no I R. It's a shame the ZT 60 is so prone to this!
post #12935 of 12954 Old 10-19-2014, 09:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanBuck View Post
My 60 inch ZT 60 was purchased about a year ago. It was calibrated by ChadB at about 300 hours. It now has about 750 hours. The History Channel logo has taken up ghost residence on my screen. I probably watched that channel about 20 % of the sets use. I have totally avoided it the past month and the image can still be seen, although perhaps a bit less. I use the night pro mode most of the time, never torch mode. I previously had a 2007 Panny plasma, and a Pioneer 6020. Absolutely no image retention issues. I also have a Panny S 64 I bought about 15 months ago at Costco. It too shows absolutely no I R. It's a shame the ZT 60 is so prone to this!
I had the same thing happen to me with the Velocity channel "V" logo ........ the tips of the V are NOT transparent! It is gone now, but took about 3 months to totally disappear. Of course that included NO watching of Velocity on the ZT60 once I discovered the issue. I will admit I watched a lot of that channel being a car nut.
post #12936 of 12954 Old Yesterday, 03:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technikos View Post
Does anyone have a number on how many ZTs were actually produced?
We have an idea for NA - +/- 16,837 - for new memebers feel free to add your panel to the list!!

see post 12025 for complete listing Official ZT60 Owners Thread and below for a sample:

The DOM is determined by looking at the first four numbers of your serial number which represents the the year (3) and the next three the day of the year - I'm 3191 which means 2013 - July 10th - 191st day of the year
Serial # 3191 is July 10th 191st day of the year - Panel A8576 My panel 65zt
Serial # 3290 is October 17th. 290 day of the year - Panel A12650

A00000 - CNET Reference Panel 65ZT60
A00022 : April
A00066 : April

A00110 - April 26 - 65ZT60
A00217 : April
A00269 : April
A00301 – April

A00449 : April
A00545 : April
A08576 - July 10 - 65ZT60 - my panel
A15249 - October 22 - 65ZT60
A15303 – October 22 – 60ZT60

A15890 - October 23 - 60ZT60
A15900 - October 23 - 60ZT60

A16422 - October 30 - 65ZT60
A16614 - November 13
A16781 – December 4 - 65ZT60
A16796 – December

A16837 - January 10, 2014 - 65ZT60. 49 PANELS

Add your panel - be part of history!

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 - Oppo BDP-103D - Panasonic DMP-BDT220 - Toshiba HD-DVD-3A - OPPO DV-981HD - Harmony 880
Onkyo TX-NR809 --- Definitive Technology - Studio Monitor 65 (2) - CS8040HD - Studio Monitor 45 (2) - Super Cube 6000

Last edited by bob brennan; Yesterday at 03:09 AM.
post #12937 of 12954 Old Yesterday, 07:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead View Post
Quote:
I had the same thing happen to me with the Velocity channel "V" logo ........ the tips of the V are NOT transparent! It is gone now, but took about 3 months to totally disappear. Of course that included NO watching of Velocity on the ZT60 once I discovered the issue. I will admit I watched a lot of that channel being a car nut.
I have an IR issue with the Netflix box that highlights movies you have selected. It's just the top of box that's visible, so it looks like a faint line on the Zt60. I've used pixel flipper on it and it's still there but can't be seen 99% of the time. I contacted geek squad just to see how their process works because I purchased the 5yr plan. They said if they can't remove it they will order a replacement panel or if that's not available I get a another TV. I would be surprised if they could get a replacement panel from Panasonic. I'm probably going to take a break from Netflix and see if it goes completely away. It handles IR very well for me besides this and it's flawless regarding other defects. A new panel or another TV could bring other issues to the table. I would probably only consider the 8500 as a replacement at this point. I prefer to remain with my ZT60 as I really love the pq this panel produces!!
post #12938 of 12954 Old Yesterday, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
My IR was the Food Network logo. After watching mixed content for many months since I noticed it, I can only see it on a grey screen because I know where it is. I have no doubt that before my set hits 3000 hours it will be completely gone. It just took FOREVER to go away. A user here reported that once his set got into the low 3000 hours, all his IR issues went away. Has anyone else experienced this? If it's true, that would be great! Maybe the set switches aging algorithms around that time?
post #12939 of 12954 Old Yesterday, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyboy View Post
I have an IR issue with the Netflix box that highlights movies you have selected. It's just the top of box that's visible, so it looks like a faint line on the Zt60. I've used pixel flipper on it and it's still there but can't be seen 99% of the time. I contacted geek squad just to see how their process works because I purchased the 5yr plan. They said if they can't remove it they will order a replacement panel or if that's not available I get a another TV. I would be surprised if they could get a replacement panel from Panasonic. I'm probably going to take a break from Netflix and see if it goes completely away. It handles IR very well for me besides this and it's flawless regarding other defects. A new panel or another TV could bring other issues to the table. I would probably only consider the 8500 as a replacement at this point. I prefer to remain with my ZT60 as I really love the pq this panel produces!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlore View Post
My IR was the Food Network logo. After watching mixed content for many months since I noticed it, I can only see it on a grey screen because I know where it is. I have no doubt that before my set hits 3000 hours it will be completely gone. It just took FOREVER to go away. A user here reported that once his set got into the low 3000 hours, all his IR issues went away. Has anyone else experienced this? If it's true, that would be great! Maybe the set switches aging algorithms around that time?
I've heard the same thing about IR going away once you hit 3000+ hours. In my case the WOW flipper combined with the screen swipe really did a lot to remove most of it over time, with the remainder going away with normal use. Don't be afraid to run the screen swipe for long periods of time. I ran mine for 12 hours at a time a few days in a row, interspersed with the pixel flipper.
post #12940 of 12954 Old Yesterday, 04:00 PM

So my 65ZT60 has, at round 1700 hours, developed a high sensitivity to IR. Images on for a second or two stay on for a few minutes, and it's becoming annoying when the brief menus of a bluray stay on or the pop up menus stay on for a minute or so after I've turned them on.
It's actually kind of frightening, and I stopped gaming on the PS4 due to it.
Also, I also seem to have a bit of dirty screen effect, there's a patch on the TV screen that has weird vertical lines of alternating brightness that don't go away either.
I've been screen wiping and using the Disney WOW (and, I did use to run the screen wipe overnight whenever I'd game or watch Sports content).
My contrast during gaming/TV was 65, brightness at 10. Game mode was on, but I turned it off.

And it's just getting worse, like a disease. What started as a patch is now growing into a big part of the screen that has the uniformity issue.
I have one more prominent line that I can see while watching regular content if the background is white or light/pastel colored. It's especially noticeable if there is movement. And although I try not to focus on them, it's so distracting, especially bright white text over a darker screen. I have noticed some retention from briefly being on my Blu-Ray player menu, from the white text lower down on the default smart TV screen when I turn the TV on, and even when I change sources and there is white text at the top specifying HDMI1, HDMI2, etc. In the latter case, I did kind of have to look for it, but it is there. It goes away pretty quickly, but does linger longer than I think it should and would prefer.

A Panasonic rep came by, and the main board replacement did not fix the issue. It seems to be the panel itself that is acting up. The "patch" disease just keeps spreading and is getting worse, but at least now the tech saw it with his own eyes and explained it to the Panasonic service rep over the phone himself with me there.
Probably I'll get either a replacement (well, unlikely, there's no ZT60s left lying around, to my knowledge) or my $ back? Anyone with any experience of this?
Egh.
I suppose I'll take my Kuro 5020 downstairs after that's resolved, since it's still going strong, five and a half years later. I've been using that one for sports and PS4 gaming in the interim.

Anyone have any ideas, recommendations? The IR is all gone by now, but the dirty screen effect and HIGH sensitivity to IR is still around.
post #12941 of 12954 Old Yesterday, 04:05 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 22
See the couple of posts prior to yours on IR sensitivity. Only time will resolve it, but I don't know what the creeping DSE phenomenon might be.
post #12942 of 12954 Old Yesterday, 04:39 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 1
The rep sent me a pic of the black book that shows the number. But I will wait until "officially have the TV in my possession".
post #12943 of 12954 Old Yesterday, 05:11 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdogg93 View Post
Just be careful with Destiny. The lower left part of the screen takes some abuse
Ok...I've logged HOURS AND HOURS on Destiny on my ZT and for the first time I've noticed the bottom left of the screen pretty much having a lasting outline of the gun area of the HUD. Burn-in!

Soooo...after 8 years of having plasmas...this is my first issue with burn in...so I ran screen wipe for about 5 hours and it didn't help. I also ran the break in slides for about 10 hours and that didn't help either.

Am I stuck with this for life? Is there a cure? I don't care if it's long term as long as it's not permanent.
post #12944 of 12954 Old Yesterday, 06:13 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sense Field View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdogg93 View Post
Just be careful with Destiny. The lower left part of the screen takes some abuse
Ok...I've logged HOURS AND HOURS on Destiny on my ZT and for the first time I've noticed the bottom left of the screen pretty much having a lasting outline of the gun area of the HUD. Burn-in!

Soooo...after 8 years of having plasmas...this is my first issue with burn in...so I ran screen wipe for about 5 hours and it didn't help. I also ran the break in slides for about 10 hours and that didn't help either.

Am I stuck with this for life? Is there a cure? I don't care if it's long term as long as it's not permanent.
Just keep running the screen wipe and watch content. It will eventually go away. Even my kuro got ir from this game :/
post #12945 of 12954 Old Yesterday, 06:22 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 20
For those that are getting IR from the Netflix search bar or other Netflix fixed image on their ZT60, may I ask how that is possible?

I'm going to assume you would have to spend a lot of time searching for a Netflix movie for the Netflix bar or fixed search image to impact your ZT60?

I would further assume that any IR would go away once you made your choice of what to watch. The length of the film would outweigh the time searching for the desired program?

I'm making this inquiry because I'm also a ZT60 owner but due to some renovations I have not watched a lot of Netflix programming on this panel but have have watched lots of Netflix on my Pro-111 in the bedroom.

Thanks
post #12946 of 12954 Old Yesterday, 06:47 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edllguy View Post
For those that are getting IR from the Netflix search bar or other Netflix fixed image on their ZT60, may I ask how that is possible?

I'm going to assume you would have to spend a lot of time searching for a Netflix movie for the Netflix bar or fixed search image to impact your ZT60?

I would further assume that any IR would go away once you made your choice of what to watch. The length of the film would outweigh the time searching for the desired program?

I'm making this inquiry because I'm also a ZT60 owner but due to some renovations I have not watched a lot of Netflix programming on this panel but have have watched lots of Netflix on my Pro-111 in the bedroom.

Thanks
I wondered the same thing when I first discovered it. I do watch more netflix now since I've gotten rid of satellite, but I don't think I abuse it in any way. I get IR from other things as well and they fade away pretty quickly. The only other thing that really gave me issues is the TNT logo when I had DTV. It would take a few days to clear. I'm thinking I will take a break from netflix streaming for a while and let it fade. I have amazon prime for streaming as well. I really can't notice it unless I look hard and 99% of the time I can't see it even if I try. It's just that OCD mentality kicking in.
post #12947 of 12954 Old Yesterday, 07:07 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edllguy View Post

Even closed captions can have an IR tendency. I don't know how it's possible, but the TV is in a very susceptible state when any icon or graphic of a similar characteristic that is displayed in a general area of the screen wrecks the uniformity of that section of the screen (usually causing a pink hue in that area when displaying on white; depending on how static the imagery is, it can look more like an outline of said graphic/image). It's uncanny, and what the Kuro easily shakes off does not apply to the ZT60.
AlanBuck likes this.
post #12948 of 12954 Old Yesterday, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendell View Post
I received the fans and hub and went ahead with my ZT60 exterior fan mod plan.

It was not as hard as I thought it would be. I could not really use screws so I had to use tape; hopefully this will be long lasting!

The mod appears to be a success as it has brought all temps below 100°F, and eliminated several hot spots. It is also removable so as to not permanently affect the set.

I used four fans; originally I had anticipated using three. They are connected to a USB hub which I have plugged in separately. The hub has a switch on it and sits right behind the set, so I can easily switch it on and off. Ideally, the fans would turn on and off automatically with the set, but I am not comfortable using the USB power from the set's ports. I have no problem turning the fans off and on... it might be a bigger deal for some people.

Equipment used:

4 x Thermaltake Mobilefan II 80mm External USB Case Fan
1 x Rosewill RHB-330 7 Ports USB 2.0 Hub with Power Adapter
2" x 36 yards 2 Mil Kapton Tape
3M Scotch 1/2-Inch by 36-Yard Double-Sided Foam Tape

This was my original plan:

This is what I ended up doing:

The four fans are all blowing air in, since the three stock fans in the top of the set are blowing are out. (I think the above pics are from a VT set since there is no fan in the top middle; the ZT60 definitely has a fan there.)

I removed the screws and nuts that came with the fans, and used standard PC fan screws to attach the logo grills to the side of the fans that take air in, and turned the fans' speed knob controllers around to face that side as well. The speed controller, if not hooked up, will result in the fans running at minimum speed. All four fans' speed controllers are set just above 3/4 of the way to maximum. Maximum is a bit too strong (and noisy) I feel.

I put a strip of the 3M double sided tape along all four edges of each fan, as well as two small strips in each fans' center. After attaching the fans and firmly pushing them in place, I put four strips of Kapton tape around the outside of each fan's border, half attached to the fan and half attached to the set. I put additional Kapton tape where needed to close any grill openings left around each fan. (Only grills with fans... I of course did not close any grills where there were no fans!)

Results:

Here are the original thermographs after the set has been on for 8+ hours without the 4 fan mod (at closer distances these temperature readings increase to ~120°F in the hottest areas):

Here are updated thermographs after the set has been on for 8+ hours with the 4 fan mod (all temp readings stay below 100°F even at close readings):

I'm not sure if this will improve some of the issues I'm experiencing; time will tell. As I mentioned, the fans can be easily removed.

Wow. This is a thing? Now I'm wondering if my ZT, by virtue of being near a very large window, has heating issues that caused the screen splotching effect I've been describing. Egh.
post #12949 of 12954 Old Yesterday, 11:37 PM

Liked: 12
Can someone please remind me what the THX Bright Room default Black Level setting is (in the Advanced Picture options - dark or light)?
post #12950 of 12954 Old Today, 02:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi guys, I'm hoping someone can do me a quick favour to put my mind at rest.

Basically could someone run the scrolling bar and look at the right edge of the scrolling bar and tell me if you see black pixels sort of shimmering/grainy as the scrolling bar moves.

It almost looks like misfiring pixels.

I noticed this recently and not sure if it's normal. I'm worried that it's not. And I'm sure before the scrolling bar was solid white all over as it scrolled with no black pixels shimmering near the right edge.

You do need to be very close to spot it, and as I said it appears on the right side of the scrolling bar as it scrolls along, black pixels near the edge, almost grainy like in appearance.

Would be much appreciated.
post #12951 of 12954 Old Today, 02:48 AM

Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay AVF View Post
Hi guys, I'm hoping someone can do me a quick favour to put my mind at rest.

Basically could someone run the scrolling bar and look at the right edge of the scrolling bar and tell me if you see black pixels sort of shimmering/grainy as the scrolling bar moves.

It almost looks like misfiring pixels.

I noticed this recently and not sure if it's normal. I'm worried that it's not. And I'm sure before the scrolling bar was solid white all over as it scrolled with no black pixels shimmering near the right edge.

You do need to be very close to spot it, and as I said it appears on the right side of the scrolling bar as it scrolls along, black pixels near the edge, almost grainy like in appearance.

Would be much appreciated.
Yes I see it as well on the pixel flipper up close, totally normal. Someone else had a question concerning this about a few weeks ago if I recall.

Panasonic TC-P65VT60
Sony BDP-S5100
Elite PRO-101FD
post #12952 of 12954 Old Today, 05:06 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb179 View Post
Well Best Buy returned a phone call to me a short time ago. They shared that even Panasonic has exhausted their supply of zt60's & zt65's. For the time being I processed the exchange for the Samsung 8500. With the credit for the repair damage and the price difference I'm getting a good chunk of money back as well. They can't pickup/deliver the 8500 until October 27th so that will give me plenty of time to see what Panasonic may offer. When speaking with them today the cs rep said that after I send the email with the pictures of the micro fractures, 7 flashing lights video, and proof of purchase they will get back to me in roughly 24-48 hours. If what I said is validated and they agreed to exchange the tv she told me there is a slight chance they may be able to exchange it with another zt60 but worse case scenario she has seen exchanges for another one of their products. The AX900 discussed is intriguing but I may be jumping ahead too far. So far Best Buy and Panasonic have been great to deal with through this process. Just wish the zt didn't let me down....I'll keep you posted. Thank you everyone for the insight and advice!

Shane
The short answer from Panasonic is that they aren't willing to even send a technician to evaluate my Panasonic. I forwarded the service emails from the geek squad, photos of the micro fractures with a ruler next to them, video of the 7 flashes, and pictures of what was connected to my television. They believe the micro fractures are causing the television to fail, but the micro fractures didn't appear until after the 2nd service visit by Best Buy who re-installed the back panel incorrectly and admitted to doing so. Since the micro fractures aren't a manufacturing defect they won't offer any options for replacement of the television. I explained to them that the first issue was the 7 red flashing lights and that the geek squad had replaced the power supply and two other boards in the television but after working up to a service manager who reviewed the case I wasn't able to get anywhere with them. I'd like to quote him:

"After review of many fictitious claims regarding the performance of our ZT60 plasma Panasonic has requested all service claims to be thoroughly reviewed. Your claim, based upon our review, is not valid and we will not offer you any warrantied repairs or options to replace your television."

Best Buy has already offered to replace my ZT60 under the terms of my geek squad protection plan. They provided me a refund of the full value of my original purchase and I opted for the Samsung 8500 which I'm buying for less and also gave me another $500 credit for the damage caused by the technicians. I've owned many panasonic plasmas and the ZT60 was "the tv" I wanted. My original thoughts were that Panasonic may have a better offer but clearly I thought wrong. After my experience with their CS reps and the issues with my zt60 I can say with certainty that I will be hesitant to purchase their products moving forward. With that said I'm still disappointed my zt failed. Just wanted to follow up on my original post as I had indicated I would.

Thanks,
Shane
post #12953 of 12954 Old Today, 05:58 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
The short answer from Panasonic is that they aren't willing to even send a technician to evaluate my Panasonic. I forwarded the service emails from the geek squad, photos of the micro fractures with a ruler next to them, video of the 7 flashes, and pictures of what was connected to my television. They believe the micro fractures are causing the television to fail, but the micro fractures didn't appear until after the 2nd service visit by Best Buy who re-installed the back panel incorrectly and admitted to doing so. Since the micro fractures aren't a manufacturing defect they won't offer any options for replacement of the television. I explained to them that the first issue was the 7 red flashing lights and that the geek squad had replaced the power supply and two other boards in the television but after working up to a service manager who reviewed the case I wasn't able to get anywhere with them. I'd like to quote him:

"After review of many fictitious claims regarding the performance of our ZT60 plasma Panasonic has requested all service claims to be thoroughly reviewed. Your claim, based upon our review, is not valid and we will not offer you any warrantied repairs or options to replace your television."

Best Buy has already offered to replace my ZT60 under the terms of my geek squad protection plan. They provided me a refund of the full value of my original purchase and I opted for the Samsung 8500 which I'm buying for less and also gave me another $500 credit for the damage caused by the technicians. I've owned many panasonic plasmas and the ZT60 was "the tv" I wanted. My original thoughts were that Panasonic may have a better offer but clearly I thought wrong. After my experience with their CS reps and the issues with my zt60 I can say with certainty that I will be hesitant to purchase their products moving forward. With that said I'm still disappointed my zt failed. Just wanted to follow up on my original post as I had indicated I would.

Thanks,
Shane

That's a shocker. I don't know your consumer laws, but here your contract would be with the retailer, so Best Buy would be responsible for picking up the tab for the damage they caused.

If it was me I would write to the CEO of Best Buy and also Panasonic North America and politely demand that they create a consumer friendly resolution.

Panasonic ZT65 (isf calibrated) / Cambridge Audio 752BD / Pioneer LX55 / Dual CS506 / Sky + HD / Tannoy Arena 5.1 / Isotek Mira / QED Cables
post #12954 of 12954 Old Today, 07:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:

Thanks,
Shane
Seems like you got a good deal from Best Buy after their screw up - sad but this stuff does happen that's why Panasonic issued the bulletin!

Agree with cloverleaf - I would go to the CEO/President of both - angry with BB for causing damage and complimentary for a fair resolution.

I would be a little more "pushy" with Panasonic (there USA headquarters are in NJ) http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs...&itemId=701512 - They are on a strong footing since regardless of the initial problem the work was not done by Panasonic, they are really not responsible for the subsequent damage/issues - I would focus on the way CS department was very hostile and unfriendly and lack professional empathy for your situation - maybe you will get a new bluray player or more!!!! Sorry that you lost the ZT!!!- Good Luck going forward

BOB

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 - Oppo BDP-103D - Panasonic DMP-BDT220 - Toshiba HD-DVD-3A - OPPO DV-981HD - Harmony 880
Onkyo TX-NR809 --- Definitive Technology - Studio Monitor 65 (2) - CS8040HD - Studio Monitor 45 (2) - Super Cube 6000
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65zt60 65 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60zt60 60 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page