Forum Jump: 

post #12961 of 12977 Old 10-21-2014, 10:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmalczewski View Post
There are no ZT60s available. Were it me I would probably still want one too, but aside from a fluke set lying around somewhere, in the USA these babies are (long) gone gone gone. The F5800 should prove a reasonable facsimile.
Agreed, the ZT's have all been sold. But. What's the betting that in 2/3 years time, some "BNIB" examples turn up on e bay for $10,000 ? Someone, somewhere will have some stashed. If OLED gets canned like Plasma did, they could have made a wise investment........

Panasonic ZT65 (isf calibrated) / Cambridge Audio 752BD / Pioneer LX55 / Dual CS506 / Sky + HD / Tannoy Arena 5.1 / Isotek Mira / QED Cables
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12962 of 12977 Old 10-21-2014, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I'm sad to hear so many stories about Panasonic's CS.

In this thread, (and I've only gone back about 30 pages or so) - has anybody with a ZT60 issue successfully acquired a replacement or refund for their TV? That is, directly from Panasonic, not from Best Buy, Square Trade, etc.
post #12963 of 12977 Old 10-21-2014, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Yes, but you have to go back further (to 2013). They have since sold everything they could make in a fire sale and then boarded up shop (actually divested it but results in the same situation for unfortunate owners).

Last edited by vultur; 10-21-2014 at 10:54 AM.
post #12964 of 12977 Old 10-21-2014, 07:09 PM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Panasonic wouldn't do anything for member Garmen69. In that case, Panasonic sent the a repair tech to complete the fan foam update. The repair tech improperly re-installed the rear cover which caused microfractures. Panasonic refused to repair or offer a refund. They took the position it wasn't their negligence and referred the customer to the repair tech's firm. BS stance since they hired and sent the repair firm to make the repairs.

Here's the post from the microfracture thread:

The ZT60 microfracture case log and discussion

Last edited by eaayoung; 10-21-2014 at 07:13 PM.
post #12965 of 12977 Old 10-21-2014, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb179 View Post
The short answer from Panasonic is that they aren't willing to even send a technician to evaluate my Panasonic. I forwarded the service emails from the geek squad, photos of the micro fractures with a ruler next to them, video of the 7 flashes, and pictures of what was connected to my television. They believe the micro fractures are causing the television to fail, but the micro fractures didn't appear until after the 2nd service visit by Best Buy who re-installed the back panel incorrectly and admitted to doing so. Since the micro fractures aren't a manufacturing defect they won't offer any options for replacement of the television. I explained to them that the first issue was the 7 red flashing lights and that the geek squad had replaced the power supply and two other boards in the television but after working up to a service manager who reviewed the case I wasn't able to get anywhere with them. I'd like to quote him:

"After review of many fictitious claims regarding the performance of our ZT60 plasma Panasonic has requested all service claims to be thoroughly reviewed. Your claim, based upon our review, is not valid and we will not offer you any warrantied repairs or options to replace your television."

Best Buy has already offered to replace my ZT60 under the terms of my geek squad protection plan. They provided me a refund of the full value of my original purchase and I opted for the Samsung 8500 which I'm buying for less and also gave me another $500 credit for the damage caused by the technicians. I've owned many panasonic plasmas and the ZT60 was "the tv" I wanted. My original thoughts were that Panasonic may have a better offer but clearly I thought wrong. After my experience with their CS reps and the issues with my zt60 I can say with certainty that I will be hesitant to purchase their products moving forward. With that said I'm still disappointed my zt failed. Just wanted to follow up on my original post as I had indicated I would.

Thanks,
Shane
Thanks for the update. Bravo to BB for stepping up offered a fair resolution. Please post your experience on the ZT Microfrature thread. Here's a link:

The ZT60 microfracture case log and discussion
post #12966 of 12977 Old Yesterday, 05:38 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looks like occasionally a BNIB 65" ZT60 pops up on eBay. Do you think that with 4k on the rise, it's worth spending 2x as much for the Panasonic (if not more) than the Samsung F8500 right now when 1080p might no longer be relevant in 3-4 years? Looks like I can still get an F8500 from Amazon or Worst Buy.
post #12967 of 12977 Old Yesterday, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPOD View Post
Looks like occasionally a BNIB 65" ZT60 pops up on eBay. Do you think that with 4k on the rise, it's worth spending 2x as much for the Panasonic (if not more) than the Samsung F8500 right now when 1080p might no longer be relevant in 3-4 years? Looks like I can still get an F8500 from Amazon or Worst Buy.
I think only you can answer that question, depending on your needs and viewing preferences. I don't care for the Samsung's picture compared to Panasonic's. Consumer Reports stated in their March 2014 magazine the ZT had the best HD picture quality they've tested. But, they also ranked the Samsung as having excellent picture as well. Regarding UHD, Consumer Reports stated "it can be hard to appreciate the difference between a 1080P and UHD TV unless you're watching a screen thats 80 inches or larger or sitting very close to a smaller one." I would pay more attention to how a UHD TV looks with 720/1080P content since that will be the majority the content on a UHD TV for the foreseeable future.
post #12968 of 12977 Old Yesterday, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Can anyone here actually confirm IR issues diminishing in the 3000 hours or is it just a rumor?
post #12969 of 12977 Old Yesterday, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlore View Post
Can anyone here actually confirm IR issues diminishing in the 3000 hours or is it just a rumor?
Anecdotes have only slightly more value than rumors. I've been here from the beginning and have seen quite a number of issues mentioned on this thread. I think you'd be hard pressed to find an issue that's been universally reported across all units. Even one of the most objective--fan noise--was only reported by some (myself included). Perhaps IR could be seen as universal, but some have said they aren't seeing it. Regardless, given the number of variables involved in using a TV for 3,000 hours it would be difficult to make a conclusion regarding its performance at that point with any degree of confidence.

Last edited by repete66211; Yesterday at 12:32 PM.
post #12970 of 12977 Old Yesterday, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPOD View Post
The traction of 4k resolution has no significance. The emergence of reliable OLED tech does. However, given the current size and price constraints, I'm not sure those units are in the picture quite yet. As it is, IMO the ZT was never worth twice the F8500. At the same price an argument could be made either way. The higher light output of the F8500 (at least at launch of the product) was a compelling feature for many. Personally, if my ZT blew up tomorrow I'd be mostly satisfied with buying an F8500 to replace it. If the ZT were still around I might pay a few hundred more than I would on the Samsung, but definitely not twice as much.

post #12971 of 12977 Old Yesterday, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by repete66211 View Post
The traction of 4k resolution has no significance. The emergence of reliable OLED tech does. However, given the current size and price constraints, I'm not sure those units are in the picture quite yet. As it is, IMO the ZT was never worth twice the F8500. At the same price an argument could be made either way. The higher light output of the F8500 (at least at launch of the product) was a compelling feature for many. Personally, if my ZT blew up tomorrow I'd be mostly satisfied with buying an F8500 to replace it. If the ZT were still around I might pay a few hundred more than I would on the Samsung, but definitely not twice as much.
Went into Best Buy the other day looking for plasmas, they didn't have any at my local store but when I was there I took at look at an LG curved 4k OLED and I must say it looked fantastic with 4k content. Apparently the OLED screens don't have a refresh rate like the 4k LEDs do? Either way, I don't think any 4k LEDs in in the $2500 range will produce a better picture than the Panasonic or Samsung plasmas.
post #12972 of 12977 Old Yesterday, 12:46 PM

^Are you sure you saw a 4K OLED? Those are currently facing launch difficulties with canceled preorders and indefinite delays into 2015. You may have seen a 55" OLED, but that one is only 1080p.
post #12973 of 12977 Old Yesterday, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

$2,500 for the 64" F8500 is a pretty good price and is IMO the best TV you can get at that price point. Curved TVs aren't my thing so I wouldn't look twice at one but, even if it were flat, paying $1,000 more for the 55" model (which equates to ~27% less surface area than a 64" TV) isn't a good value. Although there's reason to believe the price will drop with time (they all do), the 64" 4k OLED is currently listed at $10,000, making an equal size OLED even less of a value.

post #12974 of 12977 Old Yesterday, 01:00 PM

65" OLED actually...I don't rely on preorder (SRP) prices. The ZT60 came out at $4k.

Also, in terms of the 55", the increased CR and absolute blacks will make up for the size reduction for some (even it is only a few) folks. I count myself among them. YMMV as always.
post #12975 of 12977 Old Yesterday, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlore View Post
Confirmed? No....... suggested by users with IR issues? Yes.
post #12976 of 12977 Old Yesterday, 03:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaayoung View Post
I think only you can answer that question, depending on your needs and viewing preferences. I don't care for the Samsung's picture compared to Panasonic's. Consumer Reports stated in their March 2014 magazine the ZT had the best HD picture quality they've tested. But, they also ranked the Samsung as having excellent picture as well. Regarding UHD, Consumer Reports stated "it can be hard to appreciate the difference between a 1080P and UHD TV unless you're watching a screen thats 80 inches or larger or sitting very close to a smaller one." I would pay more attention to how a UHD TV looks with 720/1080P content since that will be the majority the content on a UHD TV for the foreseeable future.
Just out of curiosity,what didn't you like about the Samsung 8500 pq compared to the ZT60?
post #12977 of 12977 Old Yesterday, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyboy View Post
Just out of curiosity,what didn't you like about the Samsung 8500 pq compared to the ZT60?
I've never been a fan of the picture from a samsung. They always looked more processed compared to Panasonic. If my ZT died tomorrow, I would have to consider Samsung as a replacement.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65zt60 65 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60zt60 60 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page