post #13051 of 13076 Old 11-14-2014, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post
Close to 5000 hours now and I have found my panel to be much more resistant to IR, I pretty much watch whatever I want and don't worry about it.
Exactly. Rarely see IR on my ZT. And I watch football every weekends and not a hint of IR. 2356 hours on my set.
Edllguy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13052 of 13076 Old 11-14-2014, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Close to 5000 hours now and I have found my panel to be much more resistant to IR, I pretty much watch whatever I want and don't worry about it.
Are you saying that it has become more resistant as the panel has aged? I have a 55" VT60 with 1500-2000 hours on it, and it still seems very susceptible. I have a 65" VT60 with about 300 hours on it, and it seems much more resistant than the 55".

I've actually heard some people say that their panels have become more prone to IR as they have aged.

I just wish it was not an issue at all. This did not seem to be a concern with my prior plasmas.
post #13053 of 13076 Old 11-14-2014, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 529
Yes I am saying that it has become more resistant as it has aged, caveat it had 3300 hours on it when I bought it. Had some Fox sports logo IR over the summer but that doesnt seem to happen anymore. I watch alot of ESecPN and ESecPN on ABC the dreaded ticker etc no problems with that thus far.

65VT60(Calibrated by Chad B)
55ST60(Calibrated by Chunon)
Darbee DVP5000
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #13054 of 13076 Old 11-14-2014, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Yes I am saying that it has become more resistant as it has aged, caveat it had 3300 hours on it when I bought it. Had some Fox sports logo IR over the summer but that doesnt seem to happen anymore. I watch alot of ESecPN and ESecPN on ABC the dreaded ticker etc no problems with that thus far.

Did you have any IR upon purchase, and did it ever go away? My 55" was a demo at a friends small, boutique electronics store and it had some mild IR. I wish I had know to check for it, but that's water under the bridge. The set had about 1000 hours on it when I bought it, and I suspect pretty much all hours were on THX Cinema. The IR has not gone away. I've put about 500-800 hours on it. It may have gotten better, but I can still see it under certain conditions.
post #13055 of 13076 Old 11-14-2014, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by B T C View Post
Did you have any IR upon purchase, and did it ever go away? My 55" was a demo at a friends small, boutique electronics store and it had some mild IR. I wish I had know to check for it, but that's water under the bridge. The set had about 1000 hours on it when I bought it, and I suspect pretty much all hours were on THX Cinema. The IR has not gone away. I've put about 500-800 hours on it. It may have gotten better, but I can still see it under certain conditions.
Yes some IR from red ESPN banner it has not gone away entirely, I believe it is the MGO sputtering type of IR almost impossible to get rid of.

65VT60(Calibrated by Chad B)
55ST60(Calibrated by Chunon)
Darbee DVP5000
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #13056 of 13076 Old 11-14-2014, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I haven't been on the boards since over a year ago. But went thru many the posts

my tv is doing fine with about 2,335 hours on it.

but I really need to get mine professionaly calibrated early 2015. I have a few different calibrations being used on my TV. D-Nice's CNet, and one other I forgot where I found it. Cnet's was always my preferred but I like Dnice's more so but mainly for color films. CNET looks great for the B/W movies.

I feel like there should be a professional calibration for just b/w films. I say this because on most of the settings there seems to be more of a yellow or a green push and with Cnet's it has more of a blue (faintly) push but I prefer the blue. I think someone should work on the perfect setting for true black and white.(i'm sure a PRO Calibration would fix this issue all together)

I never watch TV on my TV. even before more ZT the only thing I watch are discs. So I watch TV shows etc but all Blu-Rays or DVDs. So I don't have issues with logo burn ins etc. But the only thing I have to monitor are watching classic 1.33:1 movies too many in a row and always giving my tv some good 1.78:1 time so I don't get IR for any black bars for sides or top/bottom. I have a cheaper and I mean really much cheaper but decent tv in my bedroom for when I watch most of my old TV shows like Dark Shadows, Hill Street Blues, WKRP, Murder She Wrote etc. (Yes I watch a TON of old tv shows) but I do this because I don't want to ruin my ZT with black bars having marathons of these shows.
Edllguy likes this.

Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60
Marantz SR7007
MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103
Oppo BDP-103 Region Free
Pioneer LD CLD-D505
post #13057 of 13076 Old 11-14-2014, 04:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 75
My 65VT60 is approaching 1500 hours with no issues so far fingers crossed

I wonder if the larger sizes (60 and 65) are less susceptible to IR...

Last edited by Chere; 11-14-2014 at 04:24 PM.
post #13058 of 13076 Old 11-14-2014, 05:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 113
First Birthday for my 65ZT on 11/8 - grateful to AVS for what I have learned.

When I started reading this thread I was scared that the fan noise would drive my crazy, it would become unwatchable because of IR but none of this would matter because the single-sheet of glass front panel would fall off making my beloved ZT a pile of junk!

None of this has happened and at 1800 hours of viewing and it just keeps getting better & better!
Sonyboy and puch96 like this.

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 - Oppo BDP-103D - Panasonic DMP-BDT220 - Toshiba HD-DVD-3A - OPPO DV-981HD - Harmony 880
Onkyo TX-NR809 --- Definitive Technology - Studio Monitor 65 (2) - CS8040HD - Studio Monitor 45 (2) - Super Cube 6000
post #13059 of 13076 Old 11-14-2014, 07:02 PM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob brennan View Post
First Birthday for my 65ZT on 11/8 - grateful to AVS for what I have learned.

When I started reading this thread I was scared that the fan noise would drive my crazy, it would become unwatchable because of IR but none of this would matter because the single-sheet of glass front panel would fall off making my beloved ZT a pile of junk!

None of this has happened and at 1800 hours of viewing and it just keeps getting better & better!

Well Happy Birthday and may many more come it's way!
post #13060 of 13076 Old 11-16-2014, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

My warranty runs out in January, 2015. Trying to decide whether to risk the fan fix. Rarely notice the fan as it is. So not sure it's worth the risk. Would like to get at least 5 years with my ZT. Hopefully by then, all the bugs will be worked out of OLED and they'll have larger and reasonably prized sets available.
post #13061 of 13076 Old 11-16-2014, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 223
There's zero risk if the tech is aware or the service bulletin & installs the back cover correctly. Regardless, I'm not sure if Panasonic is even sending out kits anymore. It was a while ago but the last I heard they were "out", which at the time I took to mean that since they quit making the TVs they quit making the kits to fix them.

I wouldn't worry too much though. In my situation the fix had limited benefit. If the noise really bothered you the fix would have been installed already anyway, right?

Last edited by repete66211; 11-16-2014 at 01:01 PM.
post #13062 of 13076 Old 11-16-2014, 04:05 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaayoung View Post
My warranty runs out in January, 2015. Trying to decide whether to risk the fan fix. Rarely notice the fan as it is. So not sure it's worth the risk. Would like to get at least 5 years with my ZT. Hopefully by then, all the bugs will be worked out of OLED and they'll have larger and reasonably prized sets available.
My warranty runs out November 30/2014. The fan noise does not bother me anymore as I don't watch movies and regular programming with the mute on.

Seriously, I have learned to not even think about it because its not worth the risk if you get a tech that is not familiar with the correct procedure. Its like rolling the dice if you ask me, to tinker around back there and risk damaging a otherwise great panel.

Maybe if you had a bad power supply or failed board then of course get a tech to remove, fix, and put back on. However, for myself I will take great pride that I have left the factory seal intact and that I did not venture to see what the fix may or may not do.
discone likes this.
post #13063 of 13076 Old 11-17-2014, 05:13 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

How do you access the hours info on the panel?

Thanks.
post #13064 of 13076 Old 11-17-2014, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald View Post
How do you access the hours info on the panel?

Thanks.
Here you go... Menu > Help > Version > Status4 The hours are the number on the left of the hyphen. If you google "vt60 hours" the first hit is the control cal site with other info also.
post #13065 of 13076 Old 11-18-2014, 03:50 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, i currently own a ZT60 ( Model name in Portugal, European model ) , and i just can't complain about fan noise, buzzing, or even IR ( assuming the reason of writing this isn't IR... )
The TV is now 5 months old and it has 1800hours of use, i was always very carefull using it and not abusing it... the panel went through near 250 hours of solid slides from day zero to stabilize/age the phosphors evenly. I'm a bit obsessed with the TV in fact... no logos for long period, no black bars content for long time, no gaming sessions longer than 1 hour, heck, it's been months since i've turned on my PS4 ... even so... since the last month i've noticed 2 horizontal bars in the center bottom of the TV, right were i use my captions or subtitles for the movies i watch, these bars have a slight magenta tone when put against a full white/grey or light blue background, i've already tried the scroll bar and the Disney WOW Pixel Flipper for 10hours straight , they did dimmed, but i can still seem them on certain movies scenes, of course i have to be looking for them, but they're still there.

Can someone please help with this issue? ... is it IR caused by the White captions/subtitles on top of the black bars of the movies?! Yes, my Multimedia Player sets the captions just on the black bars, on the center bottom of the screen..
Is it any other issue?! I can't take a picture to demo the issue, the camera just doesn't get what my eyes can see
I wish this was something that would definitely fade, i love my set, and beside this strange phenomenon it has nothing to complain about as stated before!

A new symptom was detected last night while checking for uniformity on a 100 a 75% white pattern, four vertical stripes on the right side of the tv, on top of the white they have some green coloration.. they run the panel from top to bottom... it's something very faint.. but it's there, no doubt about that, even my wife could see them when i asked her to look at the right side of the panel..
Any ideas of what might be?! There's no way that's IR ... some kind of panel degradation?

Settings being used:
Professional2 - BluRay and Multimedia files - Contrast 56 | Brightness +2 | Colour 49 | Tint 0 | Sharpness 0 | Vivid Colour Off | Colour Remaster Off | Reversal Film Effect Off | Colour Temp Warm | Ambient Sensor Off | Noise Reduction Off | MGEG Remaster Off | Resolution Remaster Off | Caption Smoother Off | Brilliance Enhancer Off | Intelligent Frame Creation Min/Off (50Hz/24p) | Advanced Settings Panel Luminance Mid | Adaptive Panel Control 0 | Adaptive Black Expander 0 | Colour Gamut Rec.709 | White Balance Menu Red Gain -7 | Green Gain 0 | Blue Gain -1 | Red Cutoff 2 | Green Cutoff -6 | Blue Cutoff -1 | All more detailed adjustments at 0 | All colour Management settings at 0 | Gamma 2.4 | Options Settings HDMI Content Type All Off | HDMI RGB Range All Normal | Screen Settings 16:9 Overscan On (for broadcast content) Off (for BD) | Pixel Orbiter On (NOT AUTO) | Side Panel High
Professional1 - Contrast @30 , everything else at default - Common use for STB/Cable
post #13066 of 13076 Old 11-18-2014, 06:25 AM
Advanced Member

Sounds like IR since they faded. But pictures would be helpful.
post #13067 of 13076 Old 11-18-2014, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaayoung View Post
Sounds like IR since they faded. But pictures would be helpful.
Sorry for the missing pictures, it's not that easy to take them with my camera, i'll have a friend that's a pro photographer doing them for me today. I'll post them asap
post #13068 of 13076 Old 11-18-2014, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-RaVer View Post
Sorry for the missing pictures, it's not that easy to take them with my camera, i'll have a friend that's a pro photographer doing them for me today. I'll post them asap
I have similar discoloration in the bottom from time to time (last night I was seeing it pretty good), quite often actually, it does tend to fade. But it can be pretty persistent as well. I posted pix in post 12771 on or around 21 Sep.

Subtitles? Maybe, but most of my discoloration seems to be right where directv dvr displays its fast forward and rewind status bar. Combination of the two? Last night mine were much more blueish colored rather than purple, maybe I wore out the reddish/purplish colors (if only)? Haven't really bothered with WOW pixel flipper lately (I have run it a total of twice), but seems like it's time to have another go at it. Haven't run the screen wipe for a while either (just went and turned it on so I could remember what it's called). (Also had a bit of it going in middle of the screen last night... I'm just finishing up free trial of Hulu Plus, think that may have something to do with it, also am spending a little bit more time with Amazon Prime, so could be that too. Apple TV seems to be something to avoid as it has a lot of bright white lettering, so I pretty much do.)

My way to avoid its recurrence some is to make sure the directv dvr status bar is turned off asap (using Exit key) whenever it is displayed. Seems to help. Also when selecting programs to record, I try to do as much of that in the other room with a different (lcd) tv... Lots of fixed text and colored dots and directv logo that are best to avoid. And more lately whenever I pause playback of whatever I've been watching to go off and do something, I try to remember to turn it the screen off, especially when there's fixed bright white-ish content involved. I turn it off via my blu-ray player when playing discs, or turn it off via the zt60's menus otherwise. And pretty much I try to avoid tv programs with graphics of any sort, especially the ones with bright white letters.

I haven't looked closely at the (two that I've noticed) white lines on the right hand side to see if they are all the way down the screen, but seems to be hardware related (or exacerbated), mentioned here by others. Unless I happen to be looking in that part of the screen while a certain type of content is playing, don't see them at all. No greenish tinge to them that I've ever noticed. But aside from normal viewing distance I don't recall doing an up close to check them out, since it took so long to even notice them in the first place... hardly ever see them but I know they're always there.
X-RaVer likes this.

Last edited by fmalczewski; 11-18-2014 at 09:20 AM.
post #13069 of 13076 Old 11-18-2014, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by whipit View Post
Here you go... Menu > Help > Version > Status4 The hours are the number on the left of the hyphen. If you google "vt60 hours" the first hit is the control cal site with other info also.

Thanks. 2,174 hours.
post #13070 of 13076 Old 11-19-2014, 08:13 AM

Here are the photos of the issue i reported early on my ZT. ( IR caused by subtitles?! )
Any comments will be appreciated
Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	panasonic_for_dummies.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	373994  
post #13071 of 13076 Old 11-19-2014, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Looks like IR to me. Contrast is relatively low, so your settings don't appear to be contributing to the problem. Not much you can do about it short of not watching subtitled content and wait it out. Personally, I'd just try to mix up content or run slides/wipe overnight to see if it dissipates.

post #13072 of 13076 Old 11-19-2014, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by repete66211 View Post
Looks like IR to me. Contrast is relatively low, so your settings don't appear to be contributing to the problem. Not much you can do about it short of not watching subtitled content and wait it out. Personally, I'd just try to mix up content or run slides/wipe overnight to see if it dissipates.
This "thing" is there for one month already, already did slides overnight and pixel flipper for 10hrs straight ... it faded to the extent you can see on the picture.. yet, it's still there.. and the magenta tone this has makes me feel worried that it's not just IR
One more thing, when there's no signal being fed to the TV and you get a black screen waiting for input, you can ( hardly but can ) notice the two bars on the panel with a slight different tone than the rest.

Last edited by X-RaVer; 11-19-2014 at 09:36 AM.
post #13073 of 13076 Old 11-19-2014, 10:14 AM

What exactly is inside the red box in that pic? I'm not sure I see anything, unless the red box itself is the issue, which would really suck. Is the blue a different shade inside the box?
Fete26 likes this.
post #13074 of 13076 Old 11-19-2014, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B T C View Post
What exactly is inside the red box in that pic? I'm not sure I see anything, unless the red box itself is the issue, which would really suck. Is the blue a different shade inside the box?
The red box is there to highlight the area where the issue is... you should be able to see two horizontal stripes with a different shade, look at the fur on the lions knees.. between the two lions there are two stripes.
post #13075 of 13076 Old 11-19-2014, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-RaVer View Post
Here are the photos of the issue i reported early on my ZT. ( IR caused by subtitles?! )
Any comments will be appreciated
Thanks in advance
That's looks like such a small area, how about a pic with just a light blue or white screen (no animals etc)? Otherwise if it's really limited to that rectangular area, I don't think it's subtitles. More likely some other frequent content (tv show?), or something else altogether. A game? Netflix or some other app? (I've never usesd Netflix so just a guess.) Disc player? Roku or Apple TV? Did you mean closed captions (rather than subtitles)?

(My IR is much more spread out across the bottom, when it's down there. Recently it's been appearing elsewhere, but I think that might be Hulu, and my free trial just ended so will see, didn't even really use it all that much.)
post #13076 of 13076 Old 11-19-2014, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmalczewski View Post
That's looks like such a small area, how about a pic with just a light blue or white screen (no animals etc)? Otherwise if it's really limited to that rectangular area, I don't think it's subtitles. More likely some other frequent content (tv show?), or something else altogether. A game? Netflix or some other app? (I've never usesd Netflix so just a guess.) Disc player? Roku or Apple TV? Did you mean closed captions (rather than subtitles)?

(My IR is much more spread out across the bottom, when it's down there. Recently it's been appearing elsewhere, but I think that might be Hulu, and my free trial just ended so will see, didn't even really use it all that much.)
It's not easy to take a photo in other conditions, the "issue" is very faint, it can be noticed on a full white pattern, i'll take a photo and upload it asap.
But yes, the extension of the problem is just about that area, maybe 1cm more to each side. I don't use netflix or game on the ZT , don't leave static content there, don't use closed captions, i use subtitles withou any box around them.. no apps with content on that place...
The subtitles match that exact area precisely when displayed on screen... but it's a bit odd that subs do that kind of thing..
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65zt60 65 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60zt60 60 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page