Official ZT60 Owners Thread - Page 442 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 524Likes

Old 01-05-2015, 05:41 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 64
For those of you using the standard stand with your ZT60 with a table top setup, what have you done for a soundbar/center speaker (assuming it also has to sit on the table top)? There isn't a lot of clearance - about 5.25" max, and that can cover up the IR ports if you put in something wide. I'd like to put in a fairly nice quality soundbar or 3.1 setup, but there isn't a lot of room to work with.

Did you find a soundbar that you like?
Or, a low profile center speaker?
If you got a taller center/soundbar, did you have to put something under the Panasonic stand to give it more height, and place the center/soundbar in front of it?
Did you have to use an IR Repeater, and how did that work out?

I'm also concerned that the ZT60 seems to output PCM from the optical out when using HDMI sources. For soundbars that use optical in, I'm not sure how much that would affect the sound quality...

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2015, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdallen View Post
For those of you using the standard stand with your ZT60 with a table top setup, what have you done for a soundbar/center speaker (assuming it also has to sit on the table top)? There isn't a lot of clearance - about 5.25" max, and that can cover up the IR ports if you put in something wide. I'd like to put in a fairly nice quality soundbar or 3.1 setup, but there isn't a lot of room to work with.

If you got a taller center/soundbar, did you have to put something under the Panasonic stand to give it more height, and place the center/soundbar in front of it?

I'm also concerned that the ZT60 seems to output PCM from the optical out when using HDMI sources. For soundbars that use optical in, I'm not sure how much that would affect the sound quality...

Thanks
For lack of space I just transitioned to the Visio 5451 5.1 soundbar. True 5.1 with a wireless sub and two surround speakers wired to the sub its 54" low profile fits nicely in front of my 65zt60. It's not thenB&W system I had in my big home but sounds pretty good for its price range. There is also a 3.1 model. I had a Sony 660 but did not like the muffled voices.
Old 01-05-2015, 06:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 132
I have my sound bar sitting on top on my ZT. The sound bar it attached to the TV via brackets that I got off Amazon. The brackets are adjustable to work across a wide range of setups. Just look for sound bar brackets on Amazon. Simple and cheap solution to the problem.

Last edited by eaayoung; 01-05-2015 at 06:06 AM.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 287
I have my center channel in the open shelf underneath the TV. The height of the TV determines the height of the speaker, and you just really can't get a good center speaker with drivers that small (usually ~3"). They're better than the TV speakers but unless you get a whole array of them it's going to leave a bit to be desired. The soundbar is the natural solution to this issue so, in the interest of moving as much air as you can, if you're going that route obviously you want the largest drivers (and the most of them) as possible.

The sound quality provided by a pair of nice bookshelf speakers and a low profile 12" sub will sound better than most of the soundbars out there. Naturally, the wires and amp necessary make this route impossible for those with finicky wives, but it's a nice compromise compared to a full-blown 5.1 system.

Last edited by repete66211; 01-05-2015 at 10:08 AM.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Unfortunately my entertainment stand doesn't have an open shelf below the TV, and the wife likes the stand... I've looked at the brackets for putting a center or soundbar on top of the TV, but they kind of scare me for something as thin as the ZT . Whatever I do is going to have to sit at the foot of the TV. I can raise the TV a little if needed, but it's really at the right height now...

If I can't get a decent center that will fit then I'm willing to go with the compromise of a soundbar - but I'd like it to sound as good as it can, given the space constraints.
Old 01-05-2015, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdallen View Post

Thanks
I have my 60ZT60 on a table with the standard stand. There are quite a few sound bars that will fit on the table in front of the TV. Some of them have IR re-transmitters built in so that the TV's remote controller will still work.

For example, I have a Harman Kardon SB26. It sits on the TV stand in front of the TV and has the IR re-transmittter built in. The remote controllers for the TV, Roku, and Western Digital TV boxes all work correctly, even though their direct line of sight is blocked by the sound bar. I bought the SB26 over a year ago and it sounds good, but there are probably better choices out there now.

I had to use a sound bar, but if you can, a conventional surround system will almost always sound better than any sound bar.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso_Corsa View Post
6. Frustrated, I went for the big guns and picked up the ZT60. There is only one store in the country which still has them and they want a premium. However, the hype is justified. This is the absolute best picture I've seen in my home. I would consider OLED, but I do not want curved and I do not want 55". I need at least a 60. The 65EC9700 is on its way, but that is still 10k. The ZT produces the best value in a high end set right now and between build quality and better blacks (I watch in a man cave), it is significantly better than the F8500 IMO. Only problem is that it costs double the F8500 in my region. My sample is dead pixel free, has flawless uniformity and does not buzz like a beehive. In fact, as far as plasmas go it is the quietest I have heard. Everything is manufactured and packaged with quality and pride, unlike Samsungs. It is exceedingly expensive (for a 1080p plasma in a world of 4k LCDs and infinite contrast OLEDs) but it feels like it should be.
Where did you find the ZT60 in Canada?
Old 01-05-2015, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by deansixteen View Post
London Drugs.
Old 01-06-2015, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
as noted above - the link

http://www.londondrugs.com/Panasonic...ions-plasmatvs

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 - Oppo BDP-103D - Panasonic DMP-BDT220 - Toshiba HD-DVD-3A - OPPO DV-981HD - Harmony 880
Onkyo TX-NR809 --- Definitive Technology - Studio Monitor 65 (2) - CS8040HD - Studio Monitor 45 (2) - Super Cube 6000
Old 01-06-2015, 09:12 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
You can still get them here ...

http://www.centrehifi.com/en/catalog...nic-TC-P65ZT60

Last edited by ppipro; 01-06-2015 at 09:15 AM.
Old 01-06-2015, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22
This might be the end for my D-Nice calibrated 65ZT60, the TV is beautiful and nothings wrong with it. But I might be selling it an opting for LG 65 4k Curved OLED that they just announced. I've been wanting a 4k tv with the PQ of my ZT60 or better and this seems to be it. I love my ZT60 but a curved 4k OLED is going to be GORGEOUS.
Old 01-06-2015, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 287
You said curved and then you said gorgeous. Well, make up your mind; it's either one or the other. :-P

Selling something you've already taken the hit on for early adopter pricing? You're a brave man.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso_Corsa View Post
Guys, my replacement ZT60 came in and it's been pretty awesome for the past week. Zero dead pixels, perfect uniformity when I got it, and near whisper quiet for a plasma. Been living in ZT bliss the past week, but I've also been checking uniformity like a hawk. Daily I would check for any IR or dead pixels on a 50% grey field. Today I checked and I've spotted some vertical lines in the far of the screen, near the right edge. They look like 3 or 4 vertical darker lines in an otherwise grey field. They run the entire height of the screen and take up about an inch from the far right edge. It is very faint but it's there once you see it. This is very strange as I am certain I have not had any static elements like this anywhere. 90% movies so far and zero gaming and negligible cable TV.

Is this a common issue? I am on my second new ZT60 (the first had strange IR from an XETV HD channel, probably from the factory, see conversations above in this thread), and I had thought this second one would be the charm. I am 100% certain these vertical bands were NOT there before. I've been checking uniformity like a hawk. Is this just the nature of the beast or do I have another defective? 30 hours on my panel.

The bands are very faint and difficult to photograph. I don't see them at all on 100% white, not even on 75% white, only on 50% grey, and not on any of the red, blue, or green only slides. But it's definitely there. Looks a LOT like LCD banding. It's very faint and don't think it's visible in real program material, but this bothers me. Almost ready to give up and get an EC9300 instead.

P.S. I'm also noticing that the edges of my screen are *slightly* more green than the centre. Seems like white balance isn't perfectly uniform across the entire screen. It used to be perfectly grey at 0 hours. I think I noticed this green in my first set too.

Do these panels just age unevenly?
Sounds like you got one of the early production panels. Early adopters of the ZT60 when it first was released had this banding on the right side of the screen.

Kinda surprised to hear your replacement has markings similar to that of the earlier panels.
Old 01-06-2015, 08:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inseconds99 View Post
This might be the end for my D-Nice calibrated 65ZT60, the TV is beautiful and nothings wrong with it. But I might be selling it an opting for LG 65 4k Curved OLED that they just announced. I've been wanting a 4k tv with the PQ of my ZT60 or better and this seems to be it. I love my ZT60 but a curved 4k OLED is going to be GORGEOUS.
Ive been slowly considering this for the past year or so.

Hard to ignore infinite blacks and ultra bright whites. Ontop of that, the louvre filter on the LG OLEDS perform essential the same as the ZT60. That blew my mind when i read this. I love my ZT60 for its ultimate black filter but if I can get extremely similar performance from an OLED with pure bright whites O M G - Im in.

Just thinking of what price I can let the ZT60 go for on the used market once the 65" OLED arrives
Old 01-07-2015, 09:31 AM

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by repete66211 View Post
You said curved and then you said gorgeous. Well, make up your mind; it's either one or the other. :-P

Lol!!

I'm still holding out for the flat panels to come back into vogue!

Some folks love these curved screens and that is great for them.
Old 01-07-2015, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Hi all,

I have a question to pose regarding the color space with the ZT60. If I recall correctly, a touted feature of the ZT60 was support for 98% of the DCI color space. The DCI color space is much wider than the REC709 on Blu-Ray/HD.

Has anyone asked the question about how a ZT60 could take advantage of an expanded color gamut when content is released with that support?

As I understand it now, in order to get things like higher dynamic contrast and an increase in color, that will be part of the HDMI 2.0 implementation and does that mean we won't be able to take advantage of it even though the future potential is there?

If future content is released with wider color, how could a beautiful, legacy ZT60 take advantage of it?
cockatiel likes this.

Old 01-07-2015, 03:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thxtheater View Post
Hi all,

I have a question to pose regarding the color space with the ZT60. If I recall correctly, a touted feature of the ZT60 was support for 98% of the DCI color space. The DCI color space is much wider than the REC709 on Blu-Ray/HD.

Has anyone asked the question about how a ZT60 could take advantage of an expanded color gamut when content is released with that support?

As I understand it now, in order to get things like higher dynamic contrast and an increase in color, that will be part of the HDMI 2.0 implementation and does that mean we won't be able to take advantage of it even though the future potential is there?

If future content is released with wider color, how could a beautiful, legacy ZT60 take advantage of it?
You know I rmember a discussion in the vt thread about how these tvs cannot reach 98% dci color space. A couple calibrators had this discussion showing charts and what not. I don't know why their marketing team listed that it could, purposely or mistakingly. I think the calibrators were connectedd, buzz, and sillysally.
Old 01-07-2015, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 44
What month of 2013 was the first production run of the ZT60's?

Also, what is the definition of a production run, all panels produced in a month on the assembly line?, every 1000th panel produced? etc. Just curious.

Thanks
Old 01-07-2015, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Either April or May 2013.
Old 01-07-2015, 08:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Hi all,

This was touched upon in the 2013 Value Electronics Shootout. Its strictly a marketing feature. I always wondered how useful 98% of DCI really is. Wouldn't you want 100% reproduction?
Old 01-07-2015, 08:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Thumbs up Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by music_to_my_ear View Post
This was touched upon in the 2013 Value Electronics Shootout. Its strictly a marketing feature. I always wondered how useful 98% of DCI really is. Wouldn't you want 100% reproduction?
LOL. Thanks for the answer guys. 98% DCI is certainly better than REC709 if the content source supports a wider color gamut.

For me, until OLED sets come mainstream in larger sizes over 70" and have high dynamic range, expanded color gamut, HDMI 2.0 with HDCP 2.2, there's no need to even consider an upgrade over the ZT60.

Therefore the promise of an expanded color gamut has some real potential appeal.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
LOL. Thanks for the answer guys. 98% DCI is certainly better than REC709 if the content source supports a wider color gamut.

For me, until OLED sets come mainstream in larger sizes over 70" and have high dynamic range, expanded color gamut, HDMI 2.0 with HDCP 2.2, there's no need to even consider an upgrade over the ZT60.

Therefore the promise of an expanded color gamut has some real potential appeal.
Well CES 2015 shows UHD sets with HDR and expanded colour gamut!

From what I gathered on the Sharp press conference, their sets will have HDR and will be a whole lot cheaper
Old 01-07-2015, 09:29 PM

Quote:

The enhanced CR alone will be an upgrade over the ZT60. All that other stuff is just window dressing (especially high dynamic range...unless you regularly watch in a sunlit room...who needs 800 nits of brightness in a home theater?).
Old 01-08-2015, 03:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edllguy View Post
What month of 2013 was the first production run of the ZT60's?

Also, what is the definition of a production run, all panels produced in a month on the assembly line?, every 1000th panel produced? etc. Just curious.

Thanks
We tracked the panel numbers last year - according to our records the first & last are below

The DOM is determined by looking at the first four numbers of your serial number which represents the the year (3) and the next three the day of the year - I'm 3191 which means 2013 - July 10th - 191st day of the year
Serial # 3191 is July 10th 191st day of the year - Panel A8576 My panel 65zt
Serial # 3290 is October 17th. 290 day of the year - Panel A12650

Start of production
A00000 - CNET Reference Panel 65ZT60
A00022 : April
A00066 : April
A00110 - April 26 - 65ZT60

End of production

A16422 - October 30 - 65ZT60
A16614 - November 13
A16781 – December 4 - 65ZT60
A16796 – December

A16837 - January 10, 2014 - 65ZT

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 - Oppo BDP-103D - Panasonic DMP-BDT220 - Toshiba HD-DVD-3A - OPPO DV-981HD - Harmony 880
Onkyo TX-NR809 --- Definitive Technology - Studio Monitor 65 (2) - CS8040HD - Studio Monitor 45 (2) - Super Cube 6000
Old 01-08-2015, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by music_to_my_ear View Post
Well CES 2015 shows UHD sets with HDR and expanded colour gamut!

From what I gathered on the Sharp press conference, their sets will have HDR and will be a whole lot cheaper

I absolutely agree. According to Cnet, HDR will not make it into the LG OLED sets until 2016. I'm all set with my 65VT60 until then

http://www.cnet.com/news/lgs-oled-hd...ines-brighter/

Quote:
Originally Posted by forlorn View Post
The enhanced CR alone will be an upgrade over the ZT60. All that other stuff is just window dressing (especially high dynamic range...unless you regularly watch in a sunlit room...who needs 800 nits of brightness in a home theater?).
You can actually see HDR's potential in the Cnet video (link above) and anything that affects absolute contrast ratio makes the overall PQ that much better.
Old 01-08-2015, 05:48 PM

I doubt I can...at least not on a laptop monitor that doesn't support it. We had some CES attendees here witness one flavor of it, and they were quite underwhelmed. It's just the latest money grab.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:57 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chere View Post
I absolutely agree. According to Cnet, HDR will not make it into the LG OLED sets until 2016. I'm all set with my 65VT60 until then

http://www.cnet.com/news/lgs-oled-hd...ines-brighter/

You can actually see HDR's potential in the Cnet video (link above) and anything that affects absolute contrast ratio makes the overall PQ that much better.

I can't say I've ever wanted anything brighter than my Panasonic ZT. The only use I can see is for TV showrooms and if you watch TV in a sunlit room. But in the latter case you wouldn't be bothered with a quality display anyway.

And what kind of gobbledygook is "a lot more infinite contrast ratio" ? It's either infinite or it isn't. I argue that the human eye couldn't detect an infinite contrast ratio even if such a thing existed anyway.
Sonyboy and StinDaWg like this.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Soooo it's been a while since I posted about my fix by the Panasonic repair shop. Guy came out did the fan fix, already knew about how to put the panel back on correctly. All my worries went out the window, this guy was OCD like me about the edges fitting into grooves correctly to avoid fractures. We checked it three times before he left.

Of course the buzz I was experiencing did not present itself at full magnitude like it was prior to him coming to see and listen for it. Of course just my luck. Anyway he tightened all the boards and applied the fan fix. Well fan noise was better (wasn't really bothersome unless room was quiet or volume low) but he did it anyway. Now I can't hear any things BUT my problem comes again with the buzzing. The buzz is still present especially with bright content, not the normal buzz plasma gets. This buzz is very distinct.

So I have two issues going on now, since I called for the fix to be inspected i now have Comcast Xfinity cable, I have the sub box, father has the DVR main box on his Plasma. His tv is 50" and mine is 60". We have a LED 60" Vizio downstairs. Some of my channels while they look great, the edges and tops of the feed have lines running down it (the top has a white line going across the top, sides have more of what seems like a feed issue.) if I put overscan "on" the lines go away, still have a faint green line that shows on light back rounds that's on every source so that's tv related, the green line isn't distinct like the lines that I'm hoping are caused by the xfinity.
Long story short the 60" Vizio also does the same issues on certain channels, I've been comparing my ZT to the Vizio (not pq wise, just to see if it happens on there too) and it also shows these lines. My guess is that the feed from xfinity for tvs larger than 50" tend to show more feed issues. It's on both my ZT and the tv downstairs (both 60") which was a sigh of relief but kind of disappointed with Comcast. The 50" plasma my dad has does not show these issues so that's why in going with tv screen size matters. More imperfections seen. Overscan On does fix this but introduces that green line down the left side with cables but this seems to be the tv more because it shows on light (gray blue green) back grounds especially gray colors, on all sources. Same thing happened with my VT60 when I had it, the ZT seems less pronounced so I'm going with this is normal for the tv (as if it is where the pixels fire from)l and do to screen size. (I know a lot of brackets and confusion in this post lol sorry doing my best to explain while at work)

So my other dilemma is should I call the repair guy and have him out new boards in the tv? I don't really wanna open this up again, as I feel I'll be trying to much and won't have that good luck this time around. Bought a sound bar which will mask it, not why I bought it tho, the ZT speakers stink. But the buzz isn't oberly annoying but can be heard from 8 ft on certain contents mostly bright or quiet scenes.

Anyway thanks again guys. Btw that green line isn't really noticeable and is only about a half of inch off the left side of the screen, right off of where that black strip is where the screen ends. Just more worried about all these vapor looking lines on the side and top of signal, looks really pixelated up close, I think other services are better but also are dishes, not good. The convenience of cable is better to me. I'm leaning towards its the feed and not the ZT
Old 01-09-2015, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1148 Post(s)
Liked: 1156
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald View Post
I can't say I've ever wanted anything brighter than my Panasonic ZT. The only use I can see is for TV showrooms and if you watch TV in a sunlit room. But in the latter case you wouldn't be bothered with a quality display anyway.

And what kind of gobbledygook is "a lot more infinite contrast ratio" ? It's either infinite or it isn't. I argue that the human eye couldn't detect an infinite contrast ratio even if such a thing existed anyway.
Roy I agree there is a ceiling on contrast ratio where it is just a number and can't be percieved. If fact I think my VT can look un-natural on rare ocassions due to the contrast ratio.

55EG9100 calibrated by Chad_B
55ST60
Time Warner Cable/Oppo 103d/ Sony XT1 Soundbase/Harmony 650
Calman Enthusiast/Chromapure Standard with Auto Cal
My JS9500 Calibration review(CHADB)http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...l#post36534866
Old 01-09-2015, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamtheonewhoknocks99 View Post
Soooo...
I think the greenish line on the left hand side you are talking about is typical. Recall others mention it in the past. Mine probably has it a little too, but during normal content I don't see it. Plus I sit about 12 feet from the screen, so that might be part of it for me. The rest of the video issues you mentioned are not your tv, it's the other part(s) of your system... setting overscan on your tv may be the only option to no longer see them, aside from replacing those other part(s).

Regarding buzz, that's normal too. It's what plasmas do. It can be exacerbated by contrast levels and/or brightness levels being set too high. Are you perhaps running in Vivid mode? Have you had your set calibrated, or at least used a calibration disc? The buzz can also be exacerbated by power supply issues... Plug your set directly into the wall if you haven't already and see if that helps. (For me, my a/v receiver drowns out what little plasma buzz there is left, most times.) Do you maybe live at very high elevation? Anyhow, I don't recall reading much in the way of a repairman being able to fix the buzz in this thread, although I recall a few people maybe having boards replaced with little/no change.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65zt60 65 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60zt60 60 Inch Plasma Tv