Official ZT60 Owners Thread - Page 442 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #13231 of 13855 Old 01-04-2015, 11:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob brennan View Post
The front glass and the panel were manufactured and laminated in an autoclave in Japan - I believe it was assembled in Mexico - should be on the back of the TV.
Thanks Bob.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13232 of 13855 Old 01-04-2015, 07:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chere View Post
Which set do you prefer for OTA/ Cable tv content?
Pro 2 ( night mode ) D-nice settings

I rarely change picture modes. 95% of the time its in Pro 2. Maybe pro 1 if I have family over for hockey night when the lights are on
post #13233 of 13855 Old 01-04-2015, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_to_my_ear View Post
Pro 2 ( night mode ) D-nice settings

I rarely change picture modes. 95% of the time its in Pro 2. Maybe pro 1 if I have family over for hockey night when the lights are on
No I meant do you prefer the Samsung or the Panasonic for 1080i and 720p OTA or cable/ satellite tv content. Which one do you think upscales and looks better overall?
post #13234 of 13855 Old 01-04-2015, 10:14 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Guys, my replacement ZT60 came in and it's been pretty awesome for the past week. Zero dead pixels, perfect uniformity when I got it, and near whisper quiet for a plasma. Been living in ZT bliss the past week, but I've also been checking uniformity like a hawk. Daily I would check for any IR or dead pixels on a 50% grey field. Today I checked and I've spotted some vertical lines in the far of the screen, near the right edge. They look like 3 or 4 vertical darker lines in an otherwise grey field. They run the entire height of the screen and take up about an inch from the far right edge. It is very faint but it's there once you see it. This is very strange as I am certain I have not had any static elements like this anywhere. 90% movies so far and zero gaming and negligible cable TV.

Is this a common issue? I am on my second new ZT60 (the first had strange IR from an XETV HD channel, probably from the factory, see conversations above in this thread), and I had thought this second one would be the charm. I am 100% certain these vertical bands were NOT there before. I've been checking uniformity like a hawk. Is this just the nature of the beast or do I have another defective? 30 hours on my panel.

The bands are very faint and difficult to photograph. I don't see them at all on 100% white, not even on 75% white, only on 50% grey, and not on any of the red, blue, or green only slides. But it's definitely there. Looks a LOT like LCD banding. It's very faint and don't think it's visible in real program material, but this bothers me. Almost ready to give up and get an EC9300 instead.

P.S. I'm also noticing that the edges of my screen are *slightly* more green than the centre. Seems like white balance isn't perfectly uniform across the entire screen. It used to be perfectly grey at 0 hours. I think I noticed this green in my first set too.

Do these panels just age unevenly?

Last edited by Rosso_Corsa; 01-04-2015 at 11:54 PM.
post #13235 of 13855 Old 01-05-2015, 01:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 31
^^ The white bands on the right hand side are a common issue, some say they go away after a while. I just pay little/no attention to them (I've only even noticed them a few times), so I don't know if mine have gone away or not -- most likely not, as my recollection is that they seem to be associated with some hardware or circuitry that gets rather warm on the other side of the screen.

Regarding screen uniformity, I suspect there is some minor variances that change as the set ages, but not a lot. Could even depend on how long you've had the set on during any given day. It is what it is -- every so often when I'm presented with a uniform light colored screen I sometimes wonder just how uniform the source video being displayed is or whether it's the panel itself, but you really have to look to see much of anything. Again this is likely related to the different areas of heat behind the screen. (On the other hand, back in this thread there were a couple posters who had pictures of seemingly more notable uniformity issues.) In my case it's negligible to non-existent... IR is way way more of an issue for me than anything else, even after about 2800 hours in.

Lots of posts back in the previous pages. Pretty much everything you could possibly worry about has been discussed numerous times. In the end, just sit back, relax, enjoy your set. After a few hundred hours, maybe get it calibrated.

Or get yourself a EC9300 instead, whatever that is. May be a better option if you're looking for perfection (good luck with that by the way).
post #13236 of 13855 Old 01-05-2015, 05:09 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso_Corsa View Post
Guys, my replacement ZT60 came in and it's been pretty awesome for the past week. Zero dead pixels, perfect uniformity when I got it, and near whisper quiet for a plasma. Been living in ZT bliss the past week, but I've also been checking uniformity like a hawk. Daily I would check for any IR or dead pixels on a 50% grey field. Today I checked and I've spotted some vertical lines in the far of the screen, near the right edge. They look like 3 or 4 vertical darker lines in an otherwise grey field. They run the entire height of the screen and take up about an inch from the far right edge. It is very faint but it's there once you see it. This is very strange as I am certain I have not had any static elements like this anywhere. 90% movies so far and zero gaming and negligible cable TV.

Is this a common issue? I am on my second new ZT60 (the first had strange IR from an XETV HD channel, probably from the factory, see conversations above in this thread), and I had thought this second one would be the charm. I am 100% certain these vertical bands were NOT there before. I've been checking uniformity like a hawk. Is this just the nature of the beast or do I have another defective? 30 hours on my panel.

The bands are very faint and difficult to photograph. I don't see them at all on 100% white, not even on 75% white, only on 50% grey, and not on any of the red, blue, or green only slides. But it's definitely there. Looks a LOT like LCD banding. It's very faint and don't think it's visible in real program material, but this bothers me. Almost ready to give up and get an EC9300 instead.

P.S. I'm also noticing that the edges of my screen are *slightly* more green than the centre. Seems like white balance isn't perfectly uniform across the entire screen. It used to be perfectly grey at 0 hours. I think I noticed this green in my first set too.

I have the exact issue with mine ...
I am pretty sure that the line was not there before because i did have the exact same issue on my VT50 that i had to replace twice last year so i was also watching for the issue on my ZT60 .
.. not exactly sure when it developed but i noticed it this past weekend .It is a very faint ,light grey line that is only visible if you REALLY look for it.
For now, i wont stress too much over it . I am just hoping it doesn`t get worse.
post #13237 of 13855 Old 01-05-2015, 05:41 AM

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 48
For those of you using the standard stand with your ZT60 with a table top setup, what have you done for a soundbar/center speaker (assuming it also has to sit on the table top)? There isn't a lot of clearance - about 5.25" max, and that can cover up the IR ports if you put in something wide. I'd like to put in a fairly nice quality soundbar or 3.1 setup, but there isn't a lot of room to work with.

Did you find a soundbar that you like?
Or, a low profile center speaker?
If you got a taller center/soundbar, did you have to put something under the Panasonic stand to give it more height, and place the center/soundbar in front of it?
Did you have to use an IR Repeater, and how did that work out?

I'm also concerned that the ZT60 seems to output PCM from the optical out when using HDMI sources. For soundbars that use optical in, I'm not sure how much that would affect the sound quality...

Thanks
post #13238 of 13855 Old 01-05-2015, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdallen View Post
For those of you using the standard stand with your ZT60 with a table top setup, what have you done for a soundbar/center speaker (assuming it also has to sit on the table top)? There isn't a lot of clearance - about 5.25" max, and that can cover up the IR ports if you put in something wide. I'd like to put in a fairly nice quality soundbar or 3.1 setup, but there isn't a lot of room to work with.

If you got a taller center/soundbar, did you have to put something under the Panasonic stand to give it more height, and place the center/soundbar in front of it?

I'm also concerned that the ZT60 seems to output PCM from the optical out when using HDMI sources. For soundbars that use optical in, I'm not sure how much that would affect the sound quality...

Thanks
For lack of space I just transitioned to the Visio 5451 5.1 soundbar. True 5.1 with a wireless sub and two surround speakers wired to the sub its 54" low profile fits nicely in front of my 65zt60. It's not thenB&W system I had in my big home but sounds pretty good for its price range. There is also a 3.1 model. I had a Sony 660 but did not like the muffled voices.
post #13239 of 13855 Old 01-05-2015, 06:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 101
I have my sound bar sitting on top on my ZT. The sound bar it attached to the TV via brackets that I got off Amazon. The brackets are adjustable to work across a wide range of setups. Just look for sound bar brackets on Amazon. Simple and cheap solution to the problem.

Last edited by eaayoung; 01-05-2015 at 06:06 AM.
post #13240 of 13855 Old 01-05-2015, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 281
I have my center channel in the open shelf underneath the TV. The height of the TV determines the height of the speaker, and you just really can't get a good center speaker with drivers that small (usually ~3"). They're better than the TV speakers but unless you get a whole array of them it's going to leave a bit to be desired. The soundbar is the natural solution to this issue so, in the interest of moving as much air as you can, if you're going that route obviously you want the largest drivers (and the most of them) as possible.

The sound quality provided by a pair of nice bookshelf speakers and a low profile 12" sub will sound better than most of the soundbars out there. Naturally, the wires and amp necessary make this route impossible for those with finicky wives, but it's a nice compromise compared to a full-blown 5.1 system.

Last edited by repete66211; 01-05-2015 at 10:08 AM.
post #13241 of 13855 Old 01-05-2015, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Unfortunately my entertainment stand doesn't have an open shelf below the TV, and the wife likes the stand... I've looked at the brackets for putting a center or soundbar on top of the TV, but they kind of scare me for something as thin as the ZT . Whatever I do is going to have to sit at the foot of the TV. I can raise the TV a little if needed, but it's really at the right height now...

If I can't get a decent center that will fit then I'm willing to go with the compromise of a soundbar - but I'd like it to sound as good as it can, given the space constraints.
post #13242 of 13855 Old 01-05-2015, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdallen View Post

Thanks
I have my 60ZT60 on a table with the standard stand. There are quite a few sound bars that will fit on the table in front of the TV. Some of them have IR re-transmitters built in so that the TV's remote controller will still work.

For example, I have a Harman Kardon SB26. It sits on the TV stand in front of the TV and has the IR re-transmittter built in. The remote controllers for the TV, Roku, and Western Digital TV boxes all work correctly, even though their direct line of sight is blocked by the sound bar. I bought the SB26 over a year ago and it sounds good, but there are probably better choices out there now.

I had to use a sound bar, but if you can, a conventional surround system will almost always sound better than any sound bar.
post #13243 of 13855 Old 01-05-2015, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
6. Frustrated, I went for the big guns and picked up the ZT60. There is only one store in the country which still has them and they want a premium. However, the hype is justified. This is the absolute best picture I've seen in my home. I would consider OLED, but I do not want curved and I do not want 55". I need at least a 60. The 65EC9700 is on its way, but that is still 10k. The ZT produces the best value in a high end set right now and between build quality and better blacks (I watch in a man cave), it is significantly better than the F8500 IMO. Only problem is that it costs double the F8500 in my region. My sample is dead pixel free, has flawless uniformity and does not buzz like a beehive. In fact, as far as plasmas go it is the quietest I have heard. Everything is manufactured and packaged with quality and pride, unlike Samsungs. It is exceedingly expensive (for a 1080p plasma in a world of 4k LCDs and infinite contrast OLEDs) but it feels like it should be.
Where did you find the ZT60 in Canada?
post #13244 of 13855 Old 01-05-2015, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by deansixteen View Post
London Drugs.
post #13245 of 13855 Old 01-06-2015, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
as noted above - the link

http://www.londondrugs.com/Panasonic...ions-plasmatvs

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 - Oppo BDP-103D - Panasonic DMP-BDT220 - Toshiba HD-DVD-3A - OPPO DV-981HD - Harmony 880
Onkyo TX-NR809 --- Definitive Technology - Studio Monitor 65 (2) - CS8040HD - Studio Monitor 45 (2) - Super Cube 6000
post #13246 of 13855 Old 01-06-2015, 09:12 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
You can still get them here ...

http://www.centrehifi.com/en/catalog...nic-TC-P65ZT60

Last edited by ppipro; 01-06-2015 at 09:15 AM.
post #13247 of 13855 Old 01-06-2015, 03:02 PM

Liked: 22
This might be the end for my D-Nice calibrated 65ZT60, the TV is beautiful and nothings wrong with it. But I might be selling it an opting for LG 65 4k Curved OLED that they just announced. I've been wanting a 4k tv with the PQ of my ZT60 or better and this seems to be it. I love my ZT60 but a curved 4k OLED is going to be GORGEOUS.
post #13248 of 13855 Old 01-06-2015, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 281
You said curved and then you said gorgeous. Well, make up your mind; it's either one or the other. :-P

Selling something you've already taken the hit on for early adopter pricing? You're a brave man.
post #13249 of 13855 Old 01-06-2015, 07:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Sounds like you got one of the early production panels. Early adopters of the ZT60 when it first was released had this banding on the right side of the screen.

Kinda surprised to hear your replacement has markings similar to that of the earlier panels.
post #13250 of 13855 Old 01-06-2015, 08:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inseconds99 View Post
This might be the end for my D-Nice calibrated 65ZT60, the TV is beautiful and nothings wrong with it. But I might be selling it an opting for LG 65 4k Curved OLED that they just announced. I've been wanting a 4k tv with the PQ of my ZT60 or better and this seems to be it. I love my ZT60 but a curved 4k OLED is going to be GORGEOUS.
Ive been slowly considering this for the past year or so.

Hard to ignore infinite blacks and ultra bright whites. Ontop of that, the louvre filter on the LG OLEDS perform essential the same as the ZT60. That blew my mind when i read this. I love my ZT60 for its ultimate black filter but if I can get extremely similar performance from an OLED with pure bright whites O M G - Im in.

Just thinking of what price I can let the ZT60 go for on the used market once the 65" OLED arrives
post #13251 of 13855 Old 01-07-2015, 09:31 AM

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by repete66211 View Post
You said curved and then you said gorgeous. Well, make up your mind; it's either one or the other. :-P

Lol!!

I'm still holding out for the flat panels to come back into vogue!

Some folks love these curved screens and that is great for them.
post #13252 of 13855 Old 01-07-2015, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Hi all,

I have a question to pose regarding the color space with the ZT60. If I recall correctly, a touted feature of the ZT60 was support for 98% of the DCI color space. The DCI color space is much wider than the REC709 on Blu-Ray/HD.

Has anyone asked the question about how a ZT60 could take advantage of an expanded color gamut when content is released with that support?

As I understand it now, in order to get things like higher dynamic contrast and an increase in color, that will be part of the HDMI 2.0 implementation and does that mean we won't be able to take advantage of it even though the future potential is there?

If future content is released with wider color, how could a beautiful, legacy ZT60 take advantage of it?
cockatiel likes this.

post #13253 of 13855 Old 01-07-2015, 03:34 PM

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thxtheater View Post
Hi all,

I have a question to pose regarding the color space with the ZT60. If I recall correctly, a touted feature of the ZT60 was support for 98% of the DCI color space. The DCI color space is much wider than the REC709 on Blu-Ray/HD.

Has anyone asked the question about how a ZT60 could take advantage of an expanded color gamut when content is released with that support?

As I understand it now, in order to get things like higher dynamic contrast and an increase in color, that will be part of the HDMI 2.0 implementation and does that mean we won't be able to take advantage of it even though the future potential is there?

If future content is released with wider color, how could a beautiful, legacy ZT60 take advantage of it?
You know I rmember a discussion in the vt thread about how these tvs cannot reach 98% dci color space. A couple calibrators had this discussion showing charts and what not. I don't know why their marketing team listed that it could, purposely or mistakingly. I think the calibrators were connectedd, buzz, and sillysally.
post #13254 of 13855 Old 01-07-2015, 05:32 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 33
What month of 2013 was the first production run of the ZT60's?

Also, what is the definition of a production run, all panels produced in a month on the assembly line?, every 1000th panel produced? etc. Just curious.

Thanks
post #13255 of 13855 Old 01-07-2015, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Either April or May 2013.
post #13256 of 13855 Old 01-07-2015, 08:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Hi all,

This was touched upon in the 2013 Value Electronics Shootout. Its strictly a marketing feature. I always wondered how useful 98% of DCI really is. Wouldn't you want 100% reproduction?
post #13257 of 13855 Old 01-07-2015, 08:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Thumbs up Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by music_to_my_ear View Post
This was touched upon in the 2013 Value Electronics Shootout. Its strictly a marketing feature. I always wondered how useful 98% of DCI really is. Wouldn't you want 100% reproduction?
LOL. Thanks for the answer guys. 98% DCI is certainly better than REC709 if the content source supports a wider color gamut.

For me, until OLED sets come mainstream in larger sizes over 70" and have high dynamic range, expanded color gamut, HDMI 2.0 with HDCP 2.2, there's no need to even consider an upgrade over the ZT60.

Therefore the promise of an expanded color gamut has some real potential appeal.

post #13258 of 13855 Old 01-07-2015, 09:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
LOL. Thanks for the answer guys. 98% DCI is certainly better than REC709 if the content source supports a wider color gamut.

For me, until OLED sets come mainstream in larger sizes over 70" and have high dynamic range, expanded color gamut, HDMI 2.0 with HDCP 2.2, there's no need to even consider an upgrade over the ZT60.

Therefore the promise of an expanded color gamut has some real potential appeal.
Well CES 2015 shows UHD sets with HDR and expanded colour gamut!

From what I gathered on the Sharp press conference, their sets will have HDR and will be a whole lot cheaper
post #13259 of 13855 Old 01-07-2015, 09:29 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:

The enhanced CR alone will be an upgrade over the ZT60. All that other stuff is just window dressing (especially high dynamic range...unless you regularly watch in a sunlit room...who needs 800 nits of brightness in a home theater?).
post #13260 of 13855 Old 01-08-2015, 03:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edllguy View Post
What month of 2013 was the first production run of the ZT60's?

Also, what is the definition of a production run, all panels produced in a month on the assembly line?, every 1000th panel produced? etc. Just curious.

Thanks
We tracked the panel numbers last year - according to our records the first & last are below

The DOM is determined by looking at the first four numbers of your serial number which represents the the year (3) and the next three the day of the year - I'm 3191 which means 2013 - July 10th - 191st day of the year
Serial # 3191 is July 10th 191st day of the year - Panel A8576 My panel 65zt
Serial # 3290 is October 17th. 290 day of the year - Panel A12650

Start of production
A00000 - CNET Reference Panel 65ZT60
A00022 : April
A00066 : April
A00110 - April 26 - 65ZT60

End of production

A16422 - October 30 - 65ZT60
A16614 - November 13
A16781 – December 4 - 65ZT60
A16796 – December

A16837 - January 10, 2014 - 65ZT

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 - Oppo BDP-103D - Panasonic DMP-BDT220 - Toshiba HD-DVD-3A - OPPO DV-981HD - Harmony 880
Onkyo TX-NR809 --- Definitive Technology - Studio Monitor 65 (2) - CS8040HD - Studio Monitor 45 (2) - Super Cube 6000
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65zt60 65 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60zt60 60 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread