Official ZT60 Owners Thread - Page 445 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #13321 of 13860 Old 02-02-2015, 02:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 23
It really is a shame what happened with Panasonic plasmas and plasmas in general, going out of production. Seems the only real replacement is OLED, and they cost twice the price of plasma.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13322 of 13860 Old 02-02-2015, 04:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendell View Post
It really is a shame what happened with Panasonic plasmas and plasmas in general, going out of production. Seems the only real replacement is OLED, and they cost twice the price of plasma.
I bought my first plasma in 2005. A Panasonic 50" , 720p. The price? 5 Grand. A monster 70" Sony Qualia, DLP, was 13k on that year. Wait a little, prices will be lower soon, its a totally new technology and still very expensive to manufacture.

I was so happy without HDR...
post #13323 of 13860 Old 02-02-2015, 09:31 AM

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by colnago View Post
Just had both of my ZTs calibrated by the class act ChadB today, just in time for the pre-game, and after having the sets for over a year, its like having new TVs.
Nice!! I'm sure you'll enjoy them even more with whatever you watch. Chad did mine this past summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowball View Post
ahh score of the century, so pumped! just picked up a second ZT, this one via Craigslist and its bigger by 5 inches! Everything but the box, however it has what I'm hoping is only IR from the previous owner playing destiny, he didn't try anything to remove it. I couldn't pass on the price, you'd never guess.

Screen wipe on
Congrats and enjoy! Yes more screen is always better. I hope if it has some IR it fades. Just vary content without to many hours with static logo's. If it's just a little bit and you scored with such a good price I'd just enjoy it knowing you have one of the last great plasma tv's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadThunder View Post
Congrads slowball

you might be the first person in the world who owns two ZT60s
The post above his mentioned he just had his two ZT's calibrated. I'm happy with my one, but if they continued I'd sure have bought one for the bedroom.
post #13324 of 13860 Old 02-02-2015, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowball View Post
ahh score of the century, so pumped! just picked up a second ZT, this one via Craigslist and its bigger by 5 inches! Everything but the box, however it has what I'm hoping is only IR from the previous owner playing destiny, he didn't try anything to remove it. I couldn't pass on the price, you'd never guess.

Screen wipe on

My ZT still has IR from Destiny. It's extremely faint, but it shows up as a slightly pinkish hue on a white screen. It's practically invisible unless you know exactly where to look and what to look for (gun shape + meter).

I hate that game cause of what it did to my poor plasmas
post #13325 of 13860 Old 02-02-2015, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 43
IR/Burn In seems to be the Achilles heal of the VT60 & ZT60. I've been running the Disney WOW retailer loop on my 55" in an effort to get rid of some IR and it seems the loop itself, which is approximately 1.5 hours long, may have caused some IR. There is some text displayed on screen at various points throughout the loop and I think some of it resulted in IR. I think it went away with the screen wipe, but it seems a bit ridiculous to me that something like that could result in IR.
post #13326 of 13860 Old 02-02-2015, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
thanks for the love!

definitely some bragging, but I had to shout it from the rooftops. none of my friends would even begin to understand or care really for that matter minus the size.

I'm not too worried, it not terrible but annoying none the less. I'm going to run the WOW pixel flipper straight until the weekend.

unfortunately soon to be back to one ZT as I'll sell the little brother

I'll keep in cool on the gaming until the witcher 3 comes out, though I may check out the order 1886, be careful with your sets!

last thought, super pumped to finally check out john wick and dracula untold tomorrow
post #13327 of 13860 Old 02-02-2015, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by discone View Post
Nice!! I'm sure you'll enjoy them even more with whatever you watch. Chad did mine this past summer.
While content from BluRay via my PS3, the native ZT Netflix/amazon apps, and Roku look great, unfortunately, content from my Dish Network feed, which is what I watch the most, still looks odd. Gamma seems to be off, as some images look washed out, while at the same time Red/Magenta seem too saturated and Blue's a bit vibrant. From yesterdays SB, Patriot's red facemasks and gloves were really blurry/smeared, and Seahawks fans/staff wearing the "lighter" blue gear (jackets and pants), seemed neon/glowy. I wish there was a way to adjust the Dish boxes' display settings...I may just have to watch via component, as PQ seems a bit more balanced.
post #13328 of 13860 Old 02-02-2015, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked: 658
Quote:
While content from BluRay via my PS3, the native ZT Netflix/amazon apps, and Roku look great, unfortunately, content from my Dish Network feed, which is what I watch the most, still looks odd. Gamma seems to be off, as some images look washed out, while at the same time Red/Magenta seem too saturated and Blue's a bit vibrant. From yesterdays SB, Patriot's red facemasks and gloves were really blurry/smeared, and Seahawks fans/staff wearing the "lighter" blue gear (jackets and pants), seemed neon/glowy. I wish there was a way to adjust the Dish boxes' display settings...I may just have to watch via component, as PQ seems a bit more balanced.
I have the Dish Hopper and a VT60 and I get great picture quality. I did add a darbee into my chain because I felt the dish picture was just a tad soft. Is your set calibrated ? Another tweak that really improved my picture quality was Redmere cables, recently switched all my components to the 3 foot ones.

65JS9500
55ST60
Harmony 650
Sony XT1 Soundbase
OPPO 103d
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3/Lumagen 2143
post #13329 of 13860 Old 02-02-2015, 02:15 PM

I've got 622/722 boxes from Dish, and ZT60s done by Chad yesterday. I don't think Dish's image is soft at all, as a sharp/foused image is my primary concern. So much so that I'll back out color to get rid of the bleed/saturation until the image is very flat. I used to think the Dish feed was blurry, but recent settings changes that I'd done, with no calibration tools, brought out a very "clean" image, though not accurate on color, nor greyscale (red/blue saturation levels down to ~(-22) for both, color ~38).
post #13330 of 13860 Old 02-02-2015, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaayoung View Post
How many hours are you at? I've had my ZT for 1 year and have 2,940 hours on my set. I love my ZT and wouldn't trade it for any TV currently available. But this set been prone to IR more than any other Panasonic plasma TV I've owned. Without question, the picture is the best of any TV I've owned. But seeing a channel 5 logo in the lower right corner the screen when I start up Netflix is a bit concerning. And I'm beginning to wonder if it will ever go away.
I haven't checked, but on average, it's on about 38 hrs. a week so roughly about the same as you do. I don't game on it, but I do watch a lot of cable with the logos. They usually go off when commercials come on, so far, so good...

To some, experience does not count as education.
Onkyo TX 8522 Kenwood KR6050
BSR EQ 3000 JVC TD-661
TEAC CD-RW 880 Panasonic DMP BDT220
Panasonic DMR ES35V Cerwin Vega XLS215
Kenwood LS 408B Panasonic 60ZT60
post #13331 of 13860 Old 02-02-2015, 07:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfool View Post
I haven't checked, but on average, it's on about 38 hrs. a week so roughly about the same as you do. I don't game on it, but I do watch a lot of cable with the logos. They usually go off when commercials come on, so far, so good...
I haven't gamed on mine either. Didn't run the break-in slides either. I've never experience IR like I've experience on this plasma. It's not bad. But it's there if you know where to look and solid color background.
post #13332 of 13860 Old 02-03-2015, 02:16 AM

Quote:
I haven't gamed on mine either. Didn't run the break-in slides either. I've never experience IR like I've experience on this plasma. It's not bad. But it's there if you know where to look and solid color background.
I didn't run the slides either. This is my first plasma, it replaced an old RCA console I had for 20+ yrs. I wanted a good TV to replace it, did tons of research and settled on a Panasonic plasma.The ZT was the only Panasonic model BB had left when decided to purchase one, so I went over my allotted budget and bought it. What I got was a great TV! Like I've posted earlier, maybe I'm just lucky, but I haven't had any issues whatsoever. I often look for them, but again, nothing so far. I have been careful though, and will continue to be.

BSR EQ 3000 JVC TD-661
post #13333 of 13860 Old 02-03-2015, 03:29 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Hi. I own a P60ZT60E ( European Model ) and have a little issue with it, don't know if this could ever be gone!
I have 2 sripes with some magenta/purple coloration on the bottom of the screen, they seem to be caused by the subtitles i use on movies, they appear on the same place the subs are placed.
The stripes have been there for some time now, 2 / 3 months maybe, they have faded from the first time i've saw them, but now it seems they're on a stage that does not fade anymore.
I'v tried Screen Wipe from the TV itself, and Pixel Flipper from Disney WOW some times now, it did seem to have some positive effect at the beginning, but not anymore.

Can you all please have a look a let me know your opinion?
Is this covered by the warranty?

Thanks in advance to the community

NOTE: the stripes are placed on the bottom center of the screen and are hilighted by the lighter area of the image (the lights coming on from the typical 20th Century Fox movie intro)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	XP_C_7961.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	947.1 KB
ID:	521641   Click image for larger version

Name:	XP_C_7984.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	799.8 KB
ID:	521649  
post #13334 of 13860 Old 02-03-2015, 04:40 AM

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 43
If it's image retention or burn in, it's not covered by Panasonic's warranty. I would quit using subtitles, if possible, and hope it goes away with time.
post #13335 of 13860 Old 02-03-2015, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B T C View Post
If it's image retention or burn in, it's not covered by Panasonic's warranty. I would quit using subtitles, if possible, and hope it goes away with time.
Thanks for your quick reply. I would say it's persistent IR to some extent.

The non-use of subtitles is just not possible, i'm Portuguese, and despite my english is quite good, i'm not the only one that uses the TV at home.
In Europe Panasonic has already exchanged some panels and even did full refunds regarding IR/Burned Screens, i believe in the US they're not so flexible on this.
Anyway, what would you do? Give a call to Panasonic or just let it be as it is?
post #13336 of 13860 Old 02-03-2015, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfool View Post

Can anyone tell me the logic of having the logos go off during commercials? (I'm glad they do. Less logo is always better) Isn't that when it could be any channel as you don't know what the program is? Shouldn't the logo be on during commercials and off during the program?
X-RaVer likes this.
post #13337 of 13860 Old 02-03-2015, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-RaVer View Post
Thanks for your quick reply. I would say it's persistent IR to some extent.

The non-use of subtitles is just not possible, i'm Portuguese, and despite my english is quite good, i'm not the only one that uses the TV at home.
In Europe Panasonic has already exchanged some panels and even did full refunds regarding IR/Burned Screens, i believe in the US they're not so flexible on this.
Anyway, what would you do? Give a call to Panasonic or just let it be as it is?

The European consumer law gives a 2 year warranty for repair or replacement on goods. UK consumer law warranty extends that to 6 years.

You could balance the use of subtitles by running non subtitle content while no one watches. That could help age the pixels more evenly.
Edllguy and X-RaVer like this.
post #13338 of 13860 Old 02-03-2015, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald View Post
The European consumer law gives a 2 year warranty for repair or replacement on goods. UK consumer law warranty extends that to 6 years.

You could balance the use of subtitles by running non subtitle content while no one watches. That could help age the pixels more evenly.
Yes, i am aware that the consumer law in Europe grants 2 Years for repair/replacement , but as everyone nows, the manufacturers tend to try to exclude their responsability in some kind of products, like the case of a plasma screen.

The TV is used most of the time to watch Cable content in my native language, without subtitles. The use of subtitled content should be about 1/8th of the native content.. and that isn's solving the issue that can be seen on the pictures ( not easily seen of course, but the stripes are there! ... on a 5K TV... )
About ageing the phosphors ... the TV had the break-in period with solid slides for aprox 250hrs , now it has 2500hrs clocked in
post #13339 of 13860 Old 02-03-2015, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Yes, i am aware that the consumer law in Europe grants 2 Years for repair/replacement , but as everyone nows, the manufacturers tend to try to exclude their responsability in some kind of products, like the case of a plasma screen.

The TV is used most of the time to watch Cable content in my native language, without subtitles. The use of subtitled content should be about 1/8th of the native content.. and that isn's solving the issue that can be seen on the pictures ( not easily seen of course, but the stripes are there! ... on a 5K TV... )
About ageing the phosphors ... the TV had the break-in period with solid slides for aprox 250hrs , now it has 2500hrs clocked in

It's the retailers responsibility to fulfil the warranty entitlement, not the manufacturer, and the can say what they like but the courts won't back them.

Can't you watch all TV in your native language then? Or is it other family members? I'm always tell my kids to turn off the Disney HD channel because of the stark white logo. Why a channel would induce viewer not to watch it is beyond me!
post #13340 of 13860 Old 02-03-2015, 09:16 AM

Quote:
It's the retailers responsibility to fulfil the warranty entitlement, not the manufacturer, and the can say what they like but the courts won't back them.

Can't you watch all TV in your native language then? Or is it other family members? I'm always tell my kids to turn off the Disney HD channel because of the stark white logo. Why a channel would induce viewer not to watch it is beyond me!
My native language is Portuguese , all movies are in english , at home we need the subtitles to "understand" what is said... it's like you watching movies in Chinese ( assuming you can't speak/read Chinese... ) , you would need subtitles for sure
Agree on the Disney Channel logo ... crazy one, easy to leave some faint marks... but since i use my contrast setting very very low for all-day viewing, logos aren't a serious problem for me.
Only the subtitles appearing on the black bar section of the HD movies i watch pose a problem!

PS: Panasonic would think twice before going on a legal action. I'll talk to them to see what they have to say.
post #13341 of 13860 Old 02-03-2015, 09:29 AM

Quote:
...PS: Panasonic would think twice before going on a legal action. I'll talk to them to see what they have to say.

Given the very good chance that there are very few replacement panels available, if any at all, at best, you may be offered an LED TV of some sort.

Good luck either way.
X-RaVer likes this.
post #13342 of 13860 Old 02-03-2015, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Given the very good chance that there are very few replacement panels available, if any at all, at best, you may be offered an LED TV of some sort.

Good luck either way.
Well, i would only go for a new panel or a full refund, there's no way i'm getting an LED model ... whatever model they would offer, i wouldn't take it.
I hope they have a spare panel ...
post #13343 of 13860 Old 02-03-2015, 07:04 PM
Advanced Member

My IR seems to have picked up at some point after 2000 hours. Don't see the IR all that often but its there.
X-RaVer likes this.
post #13344 of 13860 Old 02-03-2015, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
My IR seems to have picked up at some point after 2000 hours. Don't see the IR all that often but its there.
You're going to be fine. I went through the same thing with my 65VT60 right around 2100 hours when I couldn't buy a smidge of IR even if I'd wanted to before that. That's when someone on the VT60 thread told me they'd gone through the same thing right around the same 2100 mark but their set had stabilized a couple of hundred hours later. Low and behold, mine did too right around the 2400 hour mark and its been smooth sailing ever since. My understanding is that the panel goes through some kind of change right at the 2000 hour mark and settles after that. The next danger point will be the 3000-3100 hour mark once again.

Turn your pixel orbiter to On when using the set and run the screen wipe with pixel orbiter back to auto liberally other times during this critical time. If you have any channel logos stuck at this time, it'll take a while for it to go away but rest assured it will- once you pass those critical hours. I had a channel logo that was badly stuck on mine that I couldn't completely get rid of but eventually I stopped worrying about it and it disappeared.

Like I said, you'll be fine
X-RaVer likes this.

Last edited by Chere; 02-03-2015 at 09:54 PM.
post #13345 of 13860 Old 02-04-2015, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Can anyone tell me the logic of having the logos go off during commercials? (I'm glad they do. Less logo is always better) Isn't that when it could be any channel as you don't know what the program is? Shouldn't the logo be on during commercials and off during the program?
I wish someone could tell me the logic in having those logos constantly present at all. I find them rather annoying, myself. Years ago, they would put on a few second "commercial" saying "you are watching ..." with their logo, then back to the program you were watching. Why it's on during regular programing now is beyond me.

BSR EQ 3000 JVC TD-661
post #13346 of 13860 Old 02-04-2015, 01:43 AM

Quote:
My ZT is now with aprox 2500 ( a little more ) and those magenta bars haven't gone ... really don't believe they'll ever fade completely
post #13347 of 13860 Old 02-04-2015, 05:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chere View Post
You're going to be fine. I went through the same thing with my 65VT60 right around 2100 hours when I couldn't buy a smidge of IR even if I'd wanted to before that. That's when someone on the VT60 thread told me they'd gone through the same thing right around the same 2100 mark but their set had stabilized a couple of hundred hours later. Low and behold, mine did too right around the 2400 hour mark and its been smooth sailing ever since. My understanding is that the panel goes through some kind of change right at the 2000 hour mark and settles after that. The next danger point will be the 3000-3100 hour mark once again.

Turn your pixel orbiter to On when using the set and run the screen wipe with pixel orbiter back to auto liberally other times during this critical time. If you have any channel logos stuck at this time, it'll take a while for it to go away but rest assured it will- once you pass those critical hours. I had a channel logo that was badly stuck on mine that I couldn't completely get rid of but eventually I stopped worrying about it and it disappeared.

Like I said, you'll be fine
I seem to recall someone posting about this previously. Will see how my set changes. Hopefully for the better. I'm up to 2958 hours.
post #13348 of 13860 Old 02-04-2015, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 68
HDMI audio passthough?

Have the ZT60 connected to my processor by HDMI and using ARC.

Should the ZT60 be passing DD and or DTS from another HDMI-connected device through ARC to the processor?

DD from an internal app like Netflix works fine, but I tried temporarily connecting a BD player to one of the HDMI inputs on the TV but all I'm getting over ARC is PCM. Should I be getting DD pass though?

(yes, I have confirmed the BD player is set to bitstream output)

Just because there is a knob doesn't mean you should turn it.
post #13349 of 13860 Old 02-04-2015, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 281
I seriously doubt the TV is going to pass multichannel audio on board apps & OTA antenna, but not an outside device.
post #13350 of 13860 Old 02-04-2015, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Maybe it won't, but I'd like to know for sure.

Considering it's all HDMI connection that should ensure all the proper handshake & HDCP stuff, it sure seems like a bogus situation not to be able to pass at least DD.

Just because there is a knob doesn't mean you should turn it.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65zt60 65 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60zt60 60 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page