Official ZT60 Owners Thread - Page 449 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2015, 12:31 PM
Senior Member
 
colnago's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 474
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdogg93 View Post
Space movies like Gravity are a prime example of how much darker blacks can get. On my ZT, while I enjoyed watching Gravity, the scenes where it is just empty space and stars really show how gray the blacks actually are. In cases like this, anyone can easily distinguish the black levels and the bezel.

OLED fixes this 'annoyance', and depending on your environment, actually makes it look like the picture is floating. The OLED experience in a dark room is unparalleled.

But for now... The ZT is good enough!
Fair enough....I didn't notice, and I haven't watched since having my sets calibrated, but then again, I couldn't get past Sandra Bullock long enough to see the entire movie. FWIW, using 6500 bias light however Sir ChadB stated that it was not "green enough"...YMMV.
colnago is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-20-2015, 01:28 PM
Member
 
RoyMacDonald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Rye East Sussex UK
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdogg93 View Post
Bias lighting will help with your perceived black levels, and therefore, OLED vs ZT will likely not make enough of a difference for you. But for the true dark room enthusiast, there is no comparison.

I used to watch my projector in a dark room but with a bright panel it's best to use some illumination to avoid eyestrain. I have watched the ZT in total darkness but my eyes get tired after an hour or so. How the OLED would fare in the dark I don't know, but I don't see it helping the screen door effect or the odd motion I've observed. I don't want to go smaller than ZT either.
RoyMacDonald is offline  
Old 02-20-2015, 01:40 PM
Member
 
RoyMacDonald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Rye East Sussex UK
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdogg93 View Post
Space movies like Gravity are a prime example of how much darker blacks can get. On my ZT, while I enjoyed watching Gravity, the scenes where it is just empty space and stars really show how gray the blacks actually are. In cases like this, anyone can easily distinguish the black levels and the bezel.

OLED fixes this 'annoyance', and depending on your environment, actually makes it look like the picture is floating. The OLED experience in a dark room is unparalleled.

But for now... The ZT is good enough!

Not all space films have black empty space, Depends entirely how the film has been shot and processed and edited. Some panels may make blacks artificially devoid of colour and detail with their processing but that does not mean that is how the director intended the film to be seen.


We have TV shows here that have totally black backgrounds and on the ZT they are totally black as the bezel. No question. I should add my set uses Lumagen processing though.


I don't have an OLED at home yet to try alongside the ZT of course.
RoyMacDonald is offline  
Old 02-20-2015, 03:45 PM
Advanced Member
 
xvfx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 859
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by colnago View Post
Fair enough....I didn't notice, and I haven't watched since having my sets calibrated, but then again, I couldn't get past Sandra Bullock long enough to see the entire movie. FWIW, using 6500 bias light however Sir ChadB stated that it was not "green enough"...YMMV.
Antec by any chance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald View Post
We have TV shows here that have totally black backgrounds and on the ZT they are totally black as the bezel. No question. I should add my set uses Lumagen processing though.
How fluid is a Lumagen with films?
xvfx is offline  
Old 02-20-2015, 04:36 PM
Senior Member
 
colnago's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 474
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by xvfx View Post
Antec by any chance?
Had to go thru my order history, but yes "Antec Bias light for HDTV 51. 1-inch..."

Note to self, "you buy waaayyyy too much stuff on amazon...take a break."
chunon likes this.
colnago is offline  
Old 02-21-2015, 04:28 AM
Member
 
RoyMacDonald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Rye East Sussex UK
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by xvfx View Post



How fluid is a Lumagen with films?

Not sure what you mean by fluid.


It only calibrates for colour when showing Blu-Ray I believe. But with thousands of points rather than the limited no the ZT can do. It does upscale satellite TV. Any content that isn't 1080p is upscaled.


If you look at an unprocessed (by the director) HD scene on the set and compare with the view outside through the window the colours look 100% accurate.

Last edited by RoyMacDonald; 02-21-2015 at 04:34 AM.
RoyMacDonald is offline  
Old 02-21-2015, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member
 
xvfx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 859
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald View Post
Not sure what you mean by fluid.
It being a video processor. Motion. I'm curious if it is even smoother than the TV.


Quote:
It only calibrates for colour when showing Blu-Ray I believe. But with thousands of points rather than the limited no the ZT can do. It does upscale satellite TV. Any content that isn't 1080p is upscaled.


If you look at an unprocessed (by the director) HD scene on the set and compare with the view outside through the window the colours look 100% accurate.
I see. As I'm looking to get one in a few months time.
xvfx is offline  
Old 02-21-2015, 02:00 PM
Member
 
RoyMacDonald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Rye East Sussex UK
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by xvfx View Post
It being a video processor. Motion. I'm curious if it is even smoother than the TV.

It's a long time since I saw the panel using it's own processor and I noticed a definite improvement from the Kuro when I first had the ZT but I can't remember a change in the motion quality when the Lumagen was installed, but that could simply be because I was so blown away by the improvement in picture quality.
RoyMacDonald is offline  
Old 02-22-2015, 01:34 PM
Member
 
royalkilla408's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ugh. I am getting mad at my tv. My nephews watched Cartoon Network for like two days and the logo is burnt into the screen. The TV is hardly used at our home but I did the 300 hour set up before even using the TV the first time. I've used it to watch my movies and stuff. Two days of watching CN and the image burns in already?! Pure BS. I am also running the wipe screen thing but it's not working. It looks less obvious but it's not going away completely. This TV burns way too easy. I did get an extended warranty. I wonder what Panasonic will do at all. Shouldn't burn that easy.
royalkilla408 is offline  
Old 02-22-2015, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fmalczewski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Panasonic won't do anything.

I was watching a bit of TCM the other day and at the end of the movie they showed a preview of Annie Hall. The way they show their previews now is they have a light colored rectangle that runs across the bottom of the screen and the name of the film (and maybe something else) in bright white letters and the trailer is displayed above that. Well I fast-forwarded through that so it couldn't have been on the screen for very long. But next thing I watched there was "Annie Hall" amongst the IR on the bottom of my screen.

If it's not getting any worse, it certainly isn't getting any better. ("Annie Hall" has since gone away, but there's always the next thing to get it going again.)

Anyway, try Disney's WoW pixel flipper. Not sure it quite got it all for me last time, but it does seem to help.

Also try turning down your contrast setting.
fmalczewski is online now  
Old 02-22-2015, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member
 
antennahead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 912
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalkilla408 View Post
Ugh. I am getting mad at my tv. My nephews watched Cartoon Network for like two days and the logo is burnt into the screen. The TV is hardly used at our home but I did the 300 hour set up before even using the TV the first time. I've used it to watch my movies and stuff. Two days of watching CN and the image burns in already?! Pure BS. I am also running the wipe screen thing but it's not working. It looks less obvious but it's not going away completely. This TV burns way too easy. I did get an extended warranty. I wonder what Panasonic will do at all. Shouldn't burn that easy.
I burned in the Velocity channel "V" watching car shows continuously when not watching Blu ray movies. It did eventually go away, but it took running the screen wipe for 12 hours at a time multiple days interspersed with the Disney Wow pixel flipper. I did this for about a week which reduced the IR by about 90%. After that, normal viewing plus no more Velocity channel and after about 6 weeks it was gone. I can now watch that channel again, but I make sure I don't leave the TV on one channel all day long, or I'll get temporary IR again. It does seem to be less prone to IR now that it has quite a few hours on it.
antennahead is online now  
Old 02-22-2015, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
markabuckley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 19
There must definately be quite a lot of variation in these sets

my kids and wife watch a lot of TV - kids TV programmes in particular with very white obvious channel logos -for hours on end

that said we watch on a fixed 50 ish contrast -perhaps that helps - I find its plenty even in the day

but I've not spotted any obvious IR - even on a grey background

that said - my ZT is not perfect - quite bad line bleed, and lots of buzz (louder than the fan noise on mine)

I'm at about 1400-1500 hours I'd say

some days I think - would be nice to have a LCD and not worry about screen burn etc (especially when using my HTPC) - but then I watch a film - with lights off and all is forgiven Getting towards the 1 year mark on mine and hoping for another 3-4
markabuckley is offline  
Old 02-23-2015, 09:58 AM
Member
 
RoyMacDonald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Rye East Sussex UK
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 44
We must watch a lot of TV, Mines over 3,000 hours and it's not a year old yet. My calibrator says "The plasma is definately worth have a recalibration after 3000hrs. There is no doubt it will have shifted in white balance in that period due to differential ageing of the phosphor" so he's going to come over and recalibrate it tomorrow.


I used to get the projector done every 1500 hours as that's how long the lamp lasted so the ZT is working out a lot cheaper to run.


Still no IR issues on my panel by the way.
RoyMacDonald is offline  
Old 02-23-2015, 08:35 PM
Member
 
Sinister04L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Probably an odd question, but does anyone know if the stand for the 60VT/ZT60 is the same as for the one for the 65VT/ZT60? I have a 65VT60 and recently moved and my stand is nowhere to be found. I can get my hands on a stand for the 60" model but I'm not sure if they're the same. They look the same in pics I've seen.
Sinister04L is offline  
Old 02-24-2015, 04:38 AM
Advanced Member
 
bob brennan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Westchester County, NY
Posts: 704
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinister04L View Post
Probably an odd question, but does anyone know if the stand for the 60VT/ZT60 is the same as for the one for the 65VT/ZT60? I have a 65VT60 and recently moved and my stand is nowhere to be found. I can get my hands on a stand for the 60" model but I'm not sure if they're the same. They look the same in pics I've seen.
If you can find the cut sheets (speicifcations) you will see that the 65"ZT base is 23.7x12.8x5.5 and the the 60"ZT base is 22.1x12.2x5.5 ( the 5.5 number is distance from top of base to bottom of TV).

NOW does that mean the the base will not fit into the TV - I don't know?

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 - Oppo BDP-103D - Panasonic DMP-BDT220 - Toshiba HD-DVD-3A - OPPO DV-981HD - Harmony 880
Onkyo TX-NR809 --- Definitive Technology - Studio Monitor 65 (2) - CS8040HD - Studio Monitor 45 (2) - Super Cube 6000
bob brennan is offline  
Old 02-24-2015, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
repete66211's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Kansas City area
Posts: 1,646
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 260
The 60" stand and 65" stands should have the same connections--hex screws if I recall correctly--but given how wobbly the stand is, I definitely wouldn't put a 65" TV on a stand meant for a 60" model.

repete66211 is offline  
Old 02-24-2015, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member
 
bob brennan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Westchester County, NY
Posts: 704
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by repete66211 View Post
The 60" stand and 65" stands should have the same connections--hex screws if I recall correctly--but given how wobbly the stand is, I definitely wouldn't put a 65" TV on a stand meant for a 60" model.
I think you are right - there is an opening in the back/center of the stand where you could sink an anchor/screw to help stabilize!

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 - Oppo BDP-103D - Panasonic DMP-BDT220 - Toshiba HD-DVD-3A - OPPO DV-981HD - Harmony 880
Onkyo TX-NR809 --- Definitive Technology - Studio Monitor 65 (2) - CS8040HD - Studio Monitor 45 (2) - Super Cube 6000
bob brennan is offline  
Old 02-24-2015, 01:20 PM
Member
 
RoyMacDonald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Rye East Sussex UK
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Had my 3000 + hours calibration today and the calibrator guy found that the blue and green pixels had aged a lot faster than the red ones which meant the picture was too red now. So all recalibrated again. Fantastic.


I asked him about OLED and if the ZT had been surpassed yet in his opinion, and he said that he has calibrated 5 of the 55" LG OLED's and one was better than the ZT but the other four were appalling and not fit for purpose and sent back. He said because the quality of the LG panels is so variable and people were so unlikely to receive a good one he's still recommending the ZT even if it means tracking down a second hand one.
Edllguy and repete66211 like this.
RoyMacDonald is offline  
Old 02-24-2015, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
repete66211's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Kansas City area
Posts: 1,646
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Interesting! Panel variance is common with all manufacturers, but not to that degree. Further (anecdotal) evidence to my point that while OLED tech is better, the benefit is only theoretical when executed poorly by a sub-par manufacturer.
Edllguy likes this.

repete66211 is offline  
Old 02-26-2015, 03:01 AM
Member
 
Sinister04L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by repete66211 View Post
The 60" stand and 65" stands should have the same connections--hex screws if I recall correctly--but given how wobbly the stand is, I definitely wouldn't put a 65" TV on a stand meant for a 60" model.
Yes the bolt pattern on the brackets are the same but since the base is smaller I decided to just wall mount it. Thanks for the info guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald View Post
Had my 3000 + hours calibration today and the calibrator guy found that the blue and green pixels had aged a lot faster than the red ones which meant the picture was too red now. So all recalibrated again. Fantastic.


I asked him about OLED and if the ZT had been surpassed yet in his opinion, and he said that he has calibrated 5 of the 55" LG OLED's and one was better than the ZT but the other four were appalling and not fit for purpose and sent back. He said because the quality of the LG panels is so variable and people were so unlikely to receive a good one he's still recommending the ZT even if it means tracking down a second hand one.
Very interesting info. I saw a 55" LG OLED last night for the first time and my first impression was that I was blown away by the contrast. The blacks looked painted on. I'll wait until the technology has been around longer before "upgrading" though.
Sinister04L is offline  
Old 02-26-2015, 10:10 PM
wse
AVS Special Member
 
wse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 7,186
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 689 Post(s)
Liked: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinister04L View Post
Very interesting info. I saw a 55" LG OLED last night for the first time and my first impression was that I was blown away by the contrast. The blacks looked painted on. I'll wait until the technology has been around longer before "upgrading" though.
Yes I can't wait when a 77" OLED is $300 then I will replace my ZT65
wse is offline  
Old 03-02-2015, 02:55 AM
Member
 
X-RaVer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
HI, just to let you all know that my ZT was collected last Friday, Panasonic requested the Repair Center to perform some tests on their facilities.
Now i'm just waiting for some feedback
Looking at my old Samsung UE55C9000 is really painful after having the ZT
X-RaVer is online now  
Old 03-02-2015, 10:32 AM
Senior Member
 
discone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 375
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-RaVer View Post
HI, just to let you all know that my ZT was collected last Friday, Panasonic requested the Repair Center to perform some tests on their facilities.
Now i'm just waiting for some feedback
Looking at my old Samsung UE55C9000 is really painful after having the ZT
I'm hoping all goes well!

Would hate to have you suffer to long watching that old Samsung.

We spent the night at a hotel and they had a 32" LG LCD on the dresser just past the end of the bed. As I was grabbing my glasses off the nightstand the wife ask what's wrong? I told her the image is too small and not as sharp as our TV so I need my glasses.

She just gave me that look and said I was spoiled!!
Edllguy and X-RaVer like this.
discone is offline  
Old 03-02-2015, 11:07 AM
Member
 
X-RaVer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by discone View Post
I'm hoping all goes well!

Would hate to have you suffer to long watching that old Samsung.

We spent the night at a hotel and they had a 32" LG LCD on the dresser just past the end of the bed. As I was grabbing my glasses off the nightstand the wife ask what's wrong? I told her the image is too small and not as sharp as our TV so I need my glasses.

She just gave me that look and said I was spoiled!!
at least you made me laugh !! I'm hoping the repair center can exchange the panel on my ZT!
discone likes this.
X-RaVer is online now  
Old Yesterday, 12:11 AM
Newbie
 
chasmith3rd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Greetings
My TC-P65ZT60 has about 3 rows of magenta colored rectangles running across the lower third of the screen (reminds me of the perforated edge of film, see attached pictures).
Has anyone encountered this phenomenon before?
The effect is found on all of the inputs as well as the "TV Self-test". The unit is still under warranty and I've had technicians out twice to try and repair it. They've replaced three of the main boards in the unit but the issue remains. The problem is most likely the panel itself or one of the boards attached to the panel which are not available separately. Unfortunately Panasonic is not willing to repair the unit at this point and are planning to pick up the unit and reimburse me for the purchase price.
I love the set and would like to replace it with the same model. Are these sets still available for purchase new or used?
Does anyone have any recommendations for a replacement set in the $3-4k range? Time for UltraHD?
Any recommendations for a currently available display that would be most comparable to the ZT60?
I'm not crazy about the LED/LCD sets available and I have concerns about the reliability of the OLED sets at this time. Does Sony make the best displays these days? Samsung? LG?
Or should I just keep the set I have now and live with magenta rectangles (they don't really bother my family but every time I notice them, which is often, I get upset considering how much I paid for the set)?
Any other thoughts on how to proceed with my situation?
Thanks for any input.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D1153B54-FEF1-42AE-8740-47E67B211336.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	584697   Click image for larger version

Name:	587756EF-470C-4E85-ADC7-1F31FBE1E925.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	584713  
chasmith3rd is offline  
Old Yesterday, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member
 
repete66211's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Kansas City area
Posts: 1,646
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Hard to tell what the defect is. Could be IR or burn in from subtitles or text of some sort. Panel damage like that probably can't be fixed, only be replaced. And since they stopped making these TVs a year ago I seriously doubt Panasonic is going to have any panels available for replacement. As far as buying a new or used one, that depends on your local shops. Not many are willing to take a high dollar item into inventory and hold onto it for a long time. Chances are all retail stores have been depleted or, if they have any in stock, they could be defective and/or returned units. Because this TV is a bit finicky in regards to image retention and a few other issues, I would be very wary of buying a used unit from someone I didn't know.

I think you're going to end up with a refund. What to buy now? I really haven't been keeping up with the new TVs. Personally, I think 4k is a marketing gimmick. It'll probably have more staying power than 3D did, but as I understand it the format has yet to be standardized. Given that and the fact that we're still looking at early adopter prices, I don't know if I would buy a TV today. I might try to find a Samsung 8500 or, if money is no object, the LG OLED, to hold me over until the new 4k tech is finalized. I certainly wouldn't buy an LCD TV.

repete66211 is offline  
Old Yesterday, 01:36 PM
Member
 
katzman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 97
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Chas, Can you really see it under normal viewing conditions, or is it because that you know it's there? I had a 50" Panny plasma with one (1) stuck pixel at the lower left of the screen. I swear I could see it at 8 ft.! Of course I couldn't, but it bothered me that much. That TV is now in my "man cave" and I have only seen it once, that was when I got within 1 foot of the screen to see if it was still there. Did you run your screen swipe for a few hours? I had a station logo on the bottom of my 60"ZT and I read I should swipe it for hours. It went away after 5-6 hours of swiping.
katzman is offline  
Old Yesterday, 07:08 PM
Advanced Member
 
xvfx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 859
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by repete66211 View Post
Hard to tell what the defect is. Could be IR or burn in from subtitles or text of some sort. Panel damage like that probably can't be fixed, only be replaced. And since they stopped making these TVs a year ago I seriously doubt Panasonic is going to have any panels available for replacement. As far as buying a new or used one, that depends on your local shops. Not many are willing to take a high dollar item into inventory and hold onto it for a long time. Chances are all retail stores have been depleted or, if they have any in stock, they could be defective and/or returned units. Because this TV is a bit finicky in regards to image retention and a few other issues, I would be very wary of buying a used unit from someone I didn't know.

I think you're going to end up with a refund. What to buy now? I really haven't been keeping up with the new TVs. Personally, I think 4k is a marketing gimmick. It'll probably have more staying power than 3D did, but as I understand it the format has yet to be standardized. Given that and the fact that we're still looking at early adopter prices, I don't know if I would buy a TV today. I might try to find a Samsung 8500 or, if money is no object, the LG OLED, to hold me over until the new 4k tech is finalized. I certainly wouldn't buy an LCD TV.
I see X-RaVer is also on AVF. From another members posts…

Quote:
Originally Posted by J90RDN
Not sure what country you are in, but in the uk I've been going through a claim with Panasonic since November. My zt has the micro cracks. I've been told by Panasonic HQ that there are no spare panels in the world, and no new zt's to offer as replacements. They are offering ax802's as replacements, as they see this as the equivalent set to the zt. Believe me I've tried to argue against this, but no joy.

Hope you have better luck, but if I'm being told the truth you may be out of luck.
https://www.avforums.com/threads/the...#post-21796851
xvfx is offline  
Old Today, 12:09 AM
Newbie
 
chasmith3rd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by repete66211 View Post
Hard to tell what the defect is. Could be IR or burn in from subtitles or text of some sort. Panel damage like that probably can't be fixed, only be replaced. And since they stopped making these TVs a year ago I seriously doubt Panasonic is going to have any panels available for replacement. As far as buying a new or used one, that depends on your local shops. Not many are willing to take a high dollar item into inventory and hold onto it for a long time. Chances are all retail stores have been depleted or, if they have any in stock, they could be defective and/or returned units. Because this TV is a bit finicky in regards to image retention and a few other issues, I would be very wary of buying a used unit from someone I didn't know.

I think you're going to end up with a refund. What to buy now? I really haven't been keeping up with the new TVs. Personally, I think 4k is a marketing gimmick. It'll probably have more staying power than 3D did, but as I understand it the format has yet to be standardized. Given that and the fact that we're still looking at early adopter prices, I don't know if I would buy a TV today. I might try to find a Samsung 8500 or, if money is no object, the LG OLED, to hold me over until the new 4k tech is finalized. I certainly wouldn't buy an LCD TV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzman View Post
Chas, Can you really see it under normal viewing conditions, or is it because that you know it's there? I had a 50" Panny plasma with one (1) stuck pixel at the lower left of the screen. I swear I could see it at 8 ft.! Of course I couldn't, but it bothered me that much. That TV is now in my "man cave" and I have only seen it once, that was when I got within 1 foot of the screen to see if it was still there. Did you run your screen swipe for a few hours? I had a station logo on the bottom of my 60"ZT and I read I should swipe it for hours. It went away after 5-6 hours of swiping.
[quote=xvfx;32364705]I see X-RaVer is also on AVF. From another members posts…


Thanks for the responses.
I don't think the defect is IR, I can't imagine what the image would be from. I have tried the screen swipe, although only for about an half hour or so. I will try running it overnight and see if that will diminish or eliminate the effect.
Ever since I first noticed it's hard for me not to notice it anymore. Sometimes when I get really engrossed in a program I'm watching on the screen the effect leaves my consciousness, but it always eventually comes back. It's especially noticeable on light-colored backgrounds; a white background is the worst.
I think it's really sad that they did not stockpile enough parts to even cover the warranty period. The technicians that came out to fix the set had to come out twice because the first time they showed up one of the replacement boards was defective. I can understand getting one bad board, but the second time they came out with another replacement board, for the defective replacement board, and this board was defective as well. They sure don't make them like they used to. The Panasonic CRT TV this plasma replaced lasted for about 20 years without a single problem.
I am hesitant about buying a used panel, just thought I'd put that option on the table and see if anyone else had any experience doing it.
As far as what's available on the market today, nothing really impresses me enough to want to make a purchase. Unfortunately I need to obtain a replacement for this set. It's a no-win situation.
chasmith3rd is offline  
Old Today, 03:09 AM
Member
 
X-RaVer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
[quote=chasmith3rd;32370633]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xvfx View Post
I see X-RaVer is also on AVF. From another members posts…


Thanks for the responses.
I don't think the defect is IR, I can't imagine what the image would be from. I have tried the screen swipe, although only for about an half hour or so. I will try running it overnight and see if that will diminish or eliminate the effect.
Ever since I first noticed it's hard for me not to notice it anymore. Sometimes when I get really engrossed in a program I'm watching on the screen the effect leaves my consciousness, but it always eventually comes back. It's especially noticeable on light-colored backgrounds; a white background is the worst.
I think it's really sad that they did not stockpile enough parts to even cover the warranty period. The technicians that came out to fix the set had to come out twice because the first time they showed up one of the replacement boards was defective. I can understand getting one bad board, but the second time they came out with another replacement board, for the defective replacement board, and this board was defective as well. They sure don't make them like they used to. The Panasonic CRT TV this plasma replaced lasted for about 20 years without a single problem.
I am hesitant about buying a used panel, just thought I'd put that option on the table and see if anyone else had any experience doing it.
As far as what's available on the market today, nothing really impresses me enough to want to make a purchase. Unfortunately I need to obtain a replacement for this set. It's a no-win situation.
Hi, i DO understand the situation you're in , i'm having the same problems!
Regarding to your possible IR, i would try Disney WOW Pixel Flipper overnight ( 8hours straight ) and see if the effect fades to some extent, if it doens't don't bother spending time trying to "fix it" , my IR is due to the use of subtitles when watching movies, but it does fade to some extent, however, it never disapears , and once you know it's there... you'll always notice it!
My ZT60 is now on the repair center for 1 week , i didn't have any news/feedback from them yet, i'll keep my fingers crossed and HOPE they have a spare panel to repair the set ( European law states that the manufaturer has to make stock for spare parts for 5 years ) ... if i get a refund.. that will start a new chase for a new TV, and the ZT will be missed , have no idea on what could replace this amazing tv to be honest.
PS: my set also had panel separation on top left corner, and some vertical stripes on the right side of the panel.
Hope all goes well with your situation..
X-RaVer is online now  
 

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65zt60 65 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60zt60 60 Inch Plasma Tv
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off