Official ZT60 Owners Thread - Page 454 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #13591 of 13826 Old 04-24-2015, 09:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by repete66211 View Post
Curved? No thanks. OLED, yes, but only after we see the longevity of the technology. And as I recall, although the blacks are near perfect, there are some other issues inherent in the OLED tech that amount to a trade-off. The "infinite contrast" and "4 times the resolution" is marketing nonsense. So is the contention that a curved screen will give you "clarity from every angle".

I really hope LG makes enough money off OLED to motivate better manufacturers like Panasonic, Sony and Samsung into developing their own models (or purchasing panels from LG). I also hope R&D is spent on developing the display tech rather than just more pixels or other physical gimmicks like screen geometry.
Yep, agree with all of that. a flat, 4K OLED, 60 inches or bigger please, at a reasonable price. And preferably not from LG. I keep hoping that Panasonic are going to buy some LG panels and develop their own electronics and processing, rather than faffing about with all that 4K LED crap they are selling at the moment....
cajieboy and Sonyboy like this.

Panasonic ZT65 (isf calibrated) / Cambridge Audio 752BD / Sky+ HD / Pioneer LX55 / Tannoy Arena 5.1 / Dual CS506 / Rega Mini Fono / Isotek Mira / Antimode 8033 / QED + Audioquest Cables / Virgin Media 50MB Network /
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13592 of 13826 Old 04-24-2015, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 278
I had some guy telling me OLED sucks & quantum dot is where it's at.
post #13593 of 13826 Old 04-24-2015, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by repete66211 View Post
I had some guy telling me OLED sucks & quantum dot is where it's at.
Tell the dude to take a hike. Quantum Dot was developed by Bell Labs in the early 1990's, and just recently has been introduced in LCD/LED TV's. I think Quantum Dot actually does improve LCD/LED TV's, but expect to pay 4X for it. After all that, OLED (and of course plasma TV) still offers better PQ and viewing experience. Lots of articles on this around the web.
post #13594 of 13826 Old 04-24-2015, 05:17 PM

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajieboy View Post
Tell the dude to take a hike. Quantum Dot was developed by Bell Labs in the early 1990's, and just recently has been introduced in LCD/LED TV's. I think Quantum Dot actually does improve LCD/LED TV's, but expect to pay 4X for it. After all that, OLED (and of course plasma TV) still offers better PQ and viewing experience. Lots of articles on this around the web.
I have also been seeing some articles surfacing stating that Quantum Dot will be the next big thing in TV and that it is much cheaper than OLED & Plasma?

Marketing always seems to prevail...

HT: Pioneer SC-85, Anthem MCA 50, Oppo BDP-103, PS3
OSD ATM-7
2CH: Pioneer Elite SX-A9-J, Pioneer PL 518 turntable, Pioneer PD M455 CD, Pioneer CT-WM77R Tape
SP: Paradigm Studio 100's, CC 690, Studio 20's SR, Studio 20's SB, Ultracube 10 SW
post #13595 of 13826 Old 04-24-2015, 05:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by decibels View Post
Marketing always seems to prevail...
However they try to spin it, at the end of the day it's still LCD technology. With LCDs, reduced blacks, poor viewing angle and less contrast compared to OLED.
cajieboy, Edllguy and Cloverleaf like this.
post #13596 of 13826 Old 04-25-2015, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaayoung View Post
However they try to spin it, at the end of the day it's still LCD technology. With LCDs, reduced blacks, poor viewing angle and less contrast compared to OLED.

It seems like most of the industry is determined to keep LED as the default TV technology, and just keep tarting it up with gimmicks. At the end of the day though, you can't polish a turd.

Panasonic ZT65 (isf calibrated) / Cambridge Audio 752BD / Sky+ HD / Pioneer LX55 / Tannoy Arena 5.1 / Dual CS506 / Rega Mini Fono / Isotek Mira / Antimode 8033 / QED + Audioquest Cables / Virgin Media 50MB Network /
post #13597 of 13826 Old 04-25-2015, 03:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloverleaf View Post
It seems like most of the industry is determined to keep LED as the default TV technology, and just keep tarting it up with gimmicks. At the end of the day though, you can't polish a turd.
As they say down here in the south, it's like putting lipstick on a pig
eaayoung and Cloverleaf like this.
post #13598 of 13826 Old 04-25-2015, 05:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead View Post
as they say down here in the south, it's like putting lipstick on a pig :d
yes!
antennahead likes this.
post #13599 of 13826 Old 04-25-2015, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaayoung View Post
yes!
Or like you guys say ................. "he's all hat and no cattle"
post #13600 of 13826 Old 04-25-2015, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That's only because LCD/LED has the biggest profit margins, and of course most CE Mfg'ers don't mind sacrificing superior PQ in order to achieve bigger margins. Pioneer & Panasonic both had the very best displays but ultimately they could not win in the "race to the bottom" game.
Edllguy and OttoKürschner like this.
post #13601 of 13826 Old 04-27-2015, 07:54 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I just moved the ZT but have lost the screws to mount the TV back on to its pedestal. Can I buy replacement screws any where or does anyone know the thread size and length? Thanks.
post #13602 of 13826 Old 04-28-2015, 03:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fete26 View Post
I just moved the ZT but have lost the screws to mount the TV back on to its pedestal. Can I buy replacement screws any where or does anyone know the thread size and length? Thanks.
It looks like they are 5 x 1.0 x 16 mm long. They could be 1.25 thread pitch but most common for that small bolt is 1.0. Make sure you can easily screw them in by hand more than a couple turns before mounting to check for proper thread pitch.

Here's a link to the operators manual. Look on page 11.

http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPER.../TCP60ZT60.PDF
post #13603 of 13826 Old 04-28-2015, 07:03 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 12
RE:

For those of you who know these sets well, is the Cinema mode essentially just an extra Professional mode or is there a difference between the two? Say, for example, if I pasted over settings from Professional Mode to Cinema mode, would they still measure the same? They LOOK the same by eye, but was just curious. Custom, on the other hand, is a whole different palette.
post #13604 of 13826 Old 04-29-2015, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alettiere View Post
For those of you who know these sets well, is the Cinema mode essentially just an extra Professional mode or is there a difference between the two? Say, for example, if I pasted over settings from Professional Mode to Cinema mode, would they still measure the same? They LOOK the same by eye, but was just curious. Custom, on the other hand, is a whole different palette.
AFAIK, you will not be able to paste in all your Pro settings - as a preset, the adjustments you can make in Cinema are limited. Custom is designed to allow similar adjustments to Pro, but is nowhere near as accurate.

post #13605 of 13826 Old 04-29-2015, 05:35 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thank You!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whipit View Post
It looks like they are 5 x 1.0 x 16 mm long. They could be 1.25 thread pitch but most common for that small bolt is 1.0. Make sure you can easily screw them in by hand more than a couple turns before mounting to check for proper thread pitch.

Here's a link to the operators manual. Look on page 11.

http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPER.../TCP60ZT60.PDF
post #13606 of 13826 Old 04-29-2015, 06:37 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by alettiere View Post
Custom will also LOOK the same if you adjust contrast and sharpness (not brightness) differently - it's as if they simply had different starting points for those two controls. Since I'm aware of that, I treat it as an extra Pro mode. Try it with identical settings for both and adjust contrast so that they look the same, then maybe sharpness, and it's very hard to see any difference by eye. I'm told they calibrate differently, though. Just speaking from my experience.
post #13607 of 13826 Old 04-29-2015, 09:47 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
AFAIK, you will not be able to paste in all your Pro settings - as a preset, the adjustments you can make in Cinema are limited. Custom is designed to allow similar adjustments to Pro, but is nowhere near as accurate.
You may want to look at your TV settings and retract your statement. That is if the ZT and the VT have the same picture options and I'm assuming they do.

Television: Panasonic TC-P65VT60
Receiver: Yamaha RX-A2010
Speakers: Energy RC-70's, RC-LCR, RC-10 (4), Rythmik FV15HP (2) and Velodyne VDR-12 (3),
post #13608 of 13826 Old 04-29-2015, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah_1014 View Post
You may want to look at your TV settings and retract your statement. That is if the ZT and the VT have the same picture options and I'm assuming they do.
"Retract my statement" ?! This is an internet forum chum, not a court of law . If you wish to continue the formalities however, I would respectfully decline to retract my statement, as it happens to be factually correct. There are no "Advanced settings" available on the ZT in "Cinema", so you are unable plug in a lot of the Pro settings.

Perhaps your poverty spec VT is different ? You know what they say about assuming - it makes an ass out of u............

post #13609 of 13826 Old 04-29-2015, 11:26 PM

Quote:
"Retract my statement" ?! This is an internet forum chum, not a court of law . If you wish to continue the formalities however, I would respectfully decline to retract my statement, as it happens to be factually correct. There are no "Advanced settings" available on the ZT in "Cinema", so you are unable plug in a lot of the Pro settings.

Perhaps your poverty spec VT is different ? You know what they say about assuming - it makes an ass out of u............
LOL!! That really got under your skin that you had to try and undermine the VT in the process? Well, it seems the ZT would be the poverty tv since it is not capable of advance settings for "cinema" mode.
Anyway, I meant no disrespect, but lighten up a bit.

Speakers: Energy RC-70's, RC-LCR, RC-10 (4), Rythmik FV15HP (2) and Velodyne VDR-12 (3),
post #13610 of 13826 Old 04-30-2015, 02:18 AM

Quote:
LOL!! That really got under your skin that you had to try and undermine the VT in the process? Well, it seems the ZT would be the poverty tv since it is not capable of advance settings for "cinema" mode.
Anyway, I meant no disrespect, but lighten up a bit.
The ZT doesn't need advanced settings for Cinema mode - I'll stick to my isf calibrated Pro mode thanks. Any other assumptions you want to make about a TV that you don't even own, before you head back to the VT forum ?

I mean no disrespect, but butt out if you don't know what are talking about. My original post was designed to be a genuine, helpful response to a question asked by a ZT owner, not a negative, snidey, pointless pop by somebody who doesn't even have the first clue.

post #13611 of 13826 Old 04-30-2015, 10:58 AM

Quote:
The ZT doesn't need advanced settings for Cinema mode - I'll stick to my isf calibrated Pro mode thanks. Any other assumptions you want to make about a TV that you don't even own, before you head back to the VT forum ?

I mean no disrespect, but butt out if you don't know what are talking about. My original post was designed to be a genuine, helpful response to a question asked by a ZT owner, not a negative, snidey, pointless pop by somebody who doesn't even have the first clue.
I wasn't aware having multiple picture modes to calibrate was a bad thing? Seems like you still can't get over it, so I'll admit I was wrong and apologize if you feel I was trying to undermine your forum reputation, whatever that is worth.

Have a great day!

post #13612 of 13826 Old 04-30-2015, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Cloverleaf, I think you are wrong. I have a 60ZT60 and Cinema mode does indeed have both Advanced picture and Pro settings, exactly the same as the ISF Pro modes. When I go into the setup menus, I do not see any settings available in the Professional modes that are not also available in Cinema mode.
post #13613 of 13826 Old 04-30-2015, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scandy View Post
Cloverleaf, I think you are wrong. I have a 60ZT60 and Cinema mode does indeed have both Advanced picture and Pro settings, exactly the same as the ISF Pro modes. When I go into the setup menus, I do not see any settings available in the Professional modes that are not also available in Cinema mode.
Yes, that's correct. Cinema and Pro have exactly the same options. Just checked on my 65ZT60.

I was so happy without HDR...
post #13614 of 13826 Old 04-30-2015, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 81
This is a very interesting article about using settings from professional calibrators and some conclusions .

http://referencehometheater.com/2013...ults-compared/

I was so happy without HDR...
post #13615 of 13826 Old 04-30-2015, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
My apologies for not getting back soon to ya'll. I am not an expert, professional reviewer, ISF certified or a calibrator. I know how critical some people can be here at AVS so I just wanted to say that this is my personal experience and based off what I have experienced over the last year with the set and customer service. Thanks for your time, knowledge, suggestions, personal experiences, and opinions on this matter, it has not been easy to deal with nor easy to part ways with. Its like im giving up a child lol

I will say this about my ZT60 since I see some discussing it...my experience is that the IR comes on fast but goes fast as well. Which is a huge plus. I have been super busy with work over the last year (just doesn't stop) as well as trying to further my education. Bought this about a year and some change ago and im only at 991 hours...lol. So for all I know around 1000 hours or from what Im seeing lately even 2000 hours it could be worse. Here's the thing about the separation..for 3300$ I dont expect that to even be an issue. Its damaged good basically, though it has not gotten any worse over the past year, its something Im not willing to pay for. OLED right now, yes is new, but also is receiving rave reviews from consumers, and experts, thought they would really like to see some quirks worked out but that comes with every new tech and even old tech (plasma for example) introduces its own set of issues. With OLED I also look at it like this, we all know the issues going on with them, but if we were to list over the last 10 years the best sets cons you would think they were junk. The almighty kuro (which I adored) had its own set of issues which you can still see being complained about today. My point is theres going to be issues with everything, which has always been discussed on AVS or else no one would buy anything.
Panasonics HORRENDOUS customer service is another reason the ZT makes me sick, the PQ is astonishing, gorgeous, and nothing short of amazing..I wish my OCD and financial areas werent on the negative side right now or else it would stay. The buzz, fan noise is back which was previously already "fixed", IR (which fades quick from menus but games stay on for a good amount) also babying the panel constantly unlike my KURO which seemed Immune to IR is extremely annoying to the point i find my self rushing all the time to get a menu off the screen or get my XBOX one dash off the screen when switching a blu ray, and of course the separation which also aids the buzz too is just too much for something I paid good money for. If I got this set for under 3K when the 60" was going for 2200$, I wouldnt even be here.

Now does the separation affect PQ? No. Does it contribute to the buzz? From my personal view and owning the set, Yes it does. One day I took the palm of my hand and was just curious to see if the panel would stick again (the day was somewhat humid) and to my surprise, it did, but instantly separated again. Would Gorilla glue help? Possibly but IMO the glass has settled unevenly on the panel so I think trying to get it hold would put more stress on it. My theory is that the panel was bonded at the factory and while it was being boxed up for sale from the company but somewhere along the line (got mine still in the bitter end of winter, like mid March time) I believe the weather was a big culprit in the separation process, either that or they were boxed to quickly and QC was lacking especially since they were cutting jobs and losing those factories anyway.

Well good news which is also bad news IMO is that the most recent update I received Friday was information about a full refund being in the works, the lady I spoke with is just waiting on Panny. I have been calling religiously since it took me 6 weeks of non stop calls to get to this point. They did mention to me before this last call, I believe it was the week prior that a refund or replacement would be implemented. Well I simply told them that unless they are building me a custom ZT, or have one for replacement there is no way Im trading a diamond for a rock. The rock being a FALD or LED set.

Left side:Intact fully

Top right corner (above view) runs a good 1/2foot across the top of the panel

Right top corner (side view), runs down about 1/2 foot down the right side, gets smaller as it goes down.

It stinks that I have to go this route but the good news is something is already out on the Market that beats its black levels, now if color, motion, uniformity, and calibration can just get better, im all in, im already all in but just not purchasing until I see if anything will be fixed when they release the flat OLED hopefully in August. Over the 3 gens OLED has been out now, they have improved the panel, not drastically but gradually which is good news.

Last edited by GiveMeTheThrone; 04-30-2015 at 05:37 PM.
post #13616 of 13826 Old 04-30-2015, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Also briefly owning the VT60, it did not exhibit this degree of buzzing, or fan noise. And also no separation ever reported on the VT sets. I think thats why it bother me so much. Anyway happy trails guys and I look forward to your feedback.
post #13617 of 13826 Old 04-30-2015, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli View Post
Yes, that's correct. Cinema and Pro have exactly the same options. Just checked on my 65ZT60.
Thank you guys for confirming something I thought would be identical on both ZT and VT. I had to pretty much take his word for it since I did not have a ZT, but I did find it odd that the ZT did not have advanced picture modes for cinema mode while the VT does. And I was not going to start a back and forth banter with Mr. defensive, oh boy was he ever.

I wonder what he'll have to say now?

post #13618 of 13826 Old 04-30-2015, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

GiveMeThe...sounds like a plan. How much extra money will you have to pitch-in to get the same screen size?
post #13619 of 13826 Old 04-30-2015, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Thank you guys for confirming something I thought would be identical on both ZT and VT. I had to pretty much take his word for it since I did not have a ZT, but I did find it odd that the ZT did not have advanced picture modes for cinema mode while the VT does. And I was not going to start a back and forth banter with Mr. defensive, oh boy was he ever.

I wonder what he'll have to say now?

I'll tell you what I have to say now chum - I am not wrong . My suspicion is that this is a US / EU model difference issue, as the advanced settings are definitely, certainly, definitively, beyond doubt NOT available on Cinema on UK sets.

If it is available on US sets, then I'm pleased for you, but don't see the point. Why would anyone want to calibrate the Cinema preset, when the Pro option gives you the most accurate calibration ?

post #13620 of 13826 Old 04-30-2015, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli View Post
This is a very interesting article about using settings from professional calibrators and some conclusions .

http://referencehometheater.com/2013...ults-compared/

Errr......As I was saying. Don't calibrate Cinema, calibrate Pro.

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65zt60 65 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60zt60 60 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page