Official ZT60 Owners Thread - Page 455 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
Reply
Thread Tools
post #13621 of 13631 Old 05-01-2015, 01:12 AM
AVS Special Member
 
fmalczewski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,023
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloverleaf View Post
I'll tell you what I have to say now chum - I am not wrong . My suspicion is that this is a US / EU model difference issue, as the advanced settings are definitely, certainly, definitively, beyond doubt NOT available on Cinema on UK sets.

If it is available on US sets, then I'm pleased for you, but don't see the point. Why would anyone want to calibrate the Cinema preset, when the Pro option gives you the most accurate calibration ?
May be, but bear in mind that (at least in the US) there is Cinema (which apparently can be adjusted every which way but loose) and then there is THX Cinema, which is much more locked down. Maybe that's you're thinking of?
fmalczewski is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #13622 of 13631 Old 05-01-2015, 01:32 AM
Member
 
Cloverleaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: London UK
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmalczewski View Post
May be, but bear in mind that (at least in the US) there is Cinema (which apparently can be adjusted every which way but loose) and then there is THX Cinema, which is much more locked down. Maybe that's you're thinking of?
Nope. My English skills are sufficiently advanced to differentiate between "Cinema" and "THX Cinema", thanks all the same. Although you are correct to say that THX Cinema is even more locked down than Cinema is.

Panasonic ZT65 (isf calibrated) / Cambridge Audio 752BD / Sky+ HD / Pioneer LX55 / Tannoy Arena 5.1 / Dual CS506 / Rega Mini Fono / Isotek Mira / Antimode 8033 / QED Cables / Virgin Media 50MB Network /
Cloverleaf is offline  
post #13623 of 13631 Old 05-01-2015, 08:06 AM
Member
 
Scandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 97
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloverleaf View Post
If it is available on US sets, then I'm pleased for you, but don't see the point. Why would anyone want to calibrate the Cinema preset, when the Pro option gives you the most accurate calibration ?
If you read the article that slimoli linked, it says that the CNET settings turned out to be the most accurate on their 2 sets, and the CNET settings were calibrated in Cinema mode!

However, I do agree with the article... when you duplicate others settings on your set, you will most likely make it worse rather than better.
Scandy is online now  
post #13624 of 13631 Old 05-01-2015, 10:15 AM
Member
 
Cloverleaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: London UK
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scandy View Post
If you read the article that slimoli linked, it says that the CNET settings turned out to be the most accurate on their 2 sets, and the CNET settings were calibrated in Cinema mode!

However, I do agree with the article... when you duplicate others settings on your set, you will most likely make it worse rather than better.

Sorry, but you seem to have totally misunderstood what the author actually said. If you had read and understood the article in full, you would know that the author went on to say that he would not use the cnet settings. This was partially due to the magenta push, and partly due to the Gamma tracking being out. He finished the article by confirming he calibrated the set he had on Pro.

As would any professional calibrator, in fact.

Panasonic ZT65 (isf calibrated) / Cambridge Audio 752BD / Sky+ HD / Pioneer LX55 / Tannoy Arena 5.1 / Dual CS506 / Rega Mini Fono / Isotek Mira / Antimode 8033 / QED Cables / Virgin Media 50MB Network /
Cloverleaf is offline  
post #13625 of 13631 Old Yesterday, 08:05 AM
Member
 
Scandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 97
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
No, I did understand the article. I was trying to point out that sometimes it is a good thing to try to open your mind to other points of view that may be different from what you believe to be true.

Of course any calibrator will use the Pro modes. That is what they are for! However, it is true that cinema mode has every setting that is available in the Pro modes (at least in the US versions). If a calibrator used cinema mode to calibrate the set, he will most likely get the same results as using the Pro modes, the adjustments exactly are the same.

BTW, I was a video engineer for 35 years. Please do not insinuate that I don't understand things as well as you!
Scandy is online now  
post #13626 of 13631 Old Today, 03:25 AM
Member
 
Cloverleaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: London UK
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scandy View Post
No, I did understand the article. I was trying to point out that sometimes it is a good thing to try to open your mind to other points of view that may be different from what you believe to be true.

Of course any calibrator will use the Pro modes. That is what they are for! However, it is true that cinema mode has every setting that is available in the Pro modes (at least in the US versions). If a calibrator used cinema mode to calibrate the set, he will most likely get the same results as using the Pro modes, the adjustments exactly are the same.

BTW, I was a video engineer for 35 years. Please do not insinuate that I don't understand things as well as you!
I wasn't "insinuating" anything chum. I was clearly stating that you didn't understand the article, due to your "support" for calibrating Cinema mode. For the avoidance of doubt, this is what the author of your article actually said:

"It also uses the Cinema mode as a preset instead of using the Professional1 or Professional2 modes that D-Nice does. Once we look at these in more detail later you’ll see why I would never actually use the settings from CNet on my display."


"As low as the overall errors are for the CNet settings, those few colors having large errors makes it the worst choice to me."

"After doing these measurements I calibrated my VT60 in Professional1 mode for myself. Unlike the preset modes, I want a gamma of 2.4 so I have darker shadow detail when I watch without any ambient light."


If as you say you were a video engineer for 35 years, you clearly were not a very good one, otherwise you would also understand that just having the same adjustments available on Cinema as on Pro would not automatically give you the same results That's a bit like saying a Ford Focus would give you the same results as a Ferrari, on the basis that they both have 4 wheels and an engine.

You have also failed to explain why a pro calibrator would also use the Pro settings rather than Cinema, if they give the same results I therefore see no evidence from any source for your assertion that my point of view is in any way wrong.

Panasonic ZT65 (isf calibrated) / Cambridge Audio 752BD / Sky+ HD / Pioneer LX55 / Tannoy Arena 5.1 / Dual CS506 / Rega Mini Fono / Isotek Mira / Antimode 8033 / QED Cables / Virgin Media 50MB Network /
Cloverleaf is offline  
post #13627 of 13631 Old Today, 04:23 AM
Senior Member
 
fluxo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 284
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloverleaf View Post
I'll tell you what I have to say now chum - I am not wrong . My suspicion is that this is a US / EU model difference issue, as the advanced settings are definitely, certainly, definitively, beyond doubt NOT available on Cinema on UK sets.

Yes, the US and UK sets have different cinema mode options.
fluxo is online now  
post #13628 of 13631 Old Today, 06:49 AM
Super Moderator
 
DrDon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 13,080
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Dial back the condescending posts or take it to PM, please. Discuss the topic and not each other.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
DrDon is online now  
post #13629 of 13631 Old Today, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
william06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South central Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,567
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
Dial back the condescending posts or take it to PM, please. Discuss the topic and not each other.
Thank you
william06 is online now  
post #13630 of 13631 Old Today, 08:53 AM
Member
 
Scandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 97
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I think the whole point of the article was to say that when you use other owner's calibration settings on your set, there is a good chance that it will be worse than the built in THX settings. That is why I wrote "However, I do agree with the article... when you duplicate others settings on your set, you will most likely make it worse rather than better".

The article does not say anything about what calibration modes are more/less accurate. The article was merely comparing published calibration settings on 2 different sets that were purchased at the same time. What I get out the article is that they would not use ANY of the published settings on their sets regardless of whether it was calibrated in Cinema mode or in one of the Pro modes. They would either use THX mode, or get the set calibrated by a professional.

Cloverleaf, you are taking this way to personal. I am not trying to agree or disagree with anything that you said. I am just stating the facts that were published in the article.
Scandy is online now  
post #13631 of 13631 Unread Today, 09:23 AM
Member
 
Scandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 97
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
Dial back the condescending posts or take it to PM, please. Discuss the topic and not each other.
Thanks for posting that. Sorry if my posts came across that way (definitely not what I intended)!
Scandy is online now  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65zt60 65 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60zt60 60 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off