Official ZT60 Owners Thread - Page 457 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 535Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #13681 of 14741 Old 05-14-2015, 07:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cajieboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Space Coast, Florida
Posts: 4,648
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Decibels, all I can say is that you're really quite fortunate to find a NIB 65VT60 still in a store. Or even a floor model ZT for that matter. Wonder how many hours were actually on the ZT? How much are they asking for the VT?

True Burn-in ain't easy to accomplish, and I'm thinking it's more likely the ZT just had a bad case of IR, which could be dealt with given a little time & effort. Also, that IR problem could be used as a huge bargaining chip in getting the price greatly reduced. An option for you would be to get a SUPER deal on the ZT, bring it home and go to work on it with screen-wipe tools, etc. to see if you can get rid of the problem. Just be patient. After a week of giving the ZT a serious effort at fixing the IR, and you still can't get it to go away, then simply enact your 30-day return policy and take the ZT back to the store.
cajieboy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #13682 of 14741 Old 05-14-2015, 07:25 AM
Member
 
Cloverleaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: London UK
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaayoung View Post
I would buy the 65VT60. I don't think the curve is going away anytime soon.

Seconded. A BNIB VT is going to be rare, and in reality achieves 99% of what the ZT is capable of. I'd snatch their hands off. You will probably get close to your money back on it if you do decided to sell it within the next couple of years.

Panasonic ZT65 (isf calibrated) / Cambridge Audio 752BD / Sky+ HD / Pioneer LX55 / Tannoy Arena 5.1 / Dual CS506 / Rega Mini Fono / Isotek Mira / Antimode 8033 / QED + Audioquest Cables / Virgin Media 50MB Network /
Cloverleaf is offline  
post #13683 of 14741 Old 05-14-2015, 07:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
turnne1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Indianapolis Indiana
Posts: 5,831
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

In 2013 the first 55" OLED TV was $14,999.99!

and less than a year later they had street prices of $2K at Microcenter
More recently..about 3 weeks ago....Fry's had a one day sale on the newer model for $1500
In a commodity market...which I think TV's have become....the manufacturers have to know that there is a VERY small market for flagship TV's
Sure there will be a few early adopters...but after that watch the prices fall and fall and fall during the season
I think OLED is going to have to be about 50% of the street price it is now to gain any real traction

Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Marantz 8802A prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM5's.rears
Rm 2 Hisense H50C Yamaha A2050 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Panasonic 50ST50 Denon4520 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Samsung 51E8000 Sony DA5400ES Mirage Omni sat speaker system
turnne1 is offline  
 
post #13684 of 14741 Old 05-14-2015, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cajieboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Space Coast, Florida
Posts: 4,648
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloverleaf View Post
Seconded. A BNIB VT is going to be rare, and in reality achieves 99% of what the ZT is capable of. I'd snatch their hands off. You will probably get close to your money back on it if you do decided to sell it within the next couple of years.
Depends on what the store is willing to price out the VT. I'd say "hell yes" to the VT if pricing isn't off the scales. But I'd also like to weigh-in my options if I could get the store to offer me the deal of a century on a floor model ZT with IR/Burn-in issues. BTW, I'd use the "burn-in" term when negotiating w/the Store, and would emphasize the ZT being a "used" TV with blankety-blank hours already logged on it. Anything to bad-mouth the ZT the better, and get some buyer's leverage moving forward. The TV has already been written off by the Store as it's been quite a long time since these TV's were released. After all the new 2015 4K TV's have come in, I doubt there's even going to be any room to show it, and most average Joe 6pack customers will consider the ZT plasma as dino-tech. All to your favor in possibly getting a steal.
cajieboy is offline  
post #13685 of 14741 Old 05-14-2015, 09:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
repete66211's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Kansas City area
Posts: 1,731
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 288
The store already went down as low as they would go on the ZT.

repete66211 is offline  
post #13686 of 14741 Old 05-14-2015, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cajieboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Space Coast, Florida
Posts: 4,648
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by repete66211 View Post
The store already went down as low as they would go on the ZT.
"No" does not necessarily mean "No" in sales-speak and dealing with big-box stores. But then again, not everyone possesses adequate negotiating skills either. I'd make another run at it, and would not deal with just any sales monkey on the floor. In the slippery slope of A/V pricing, the landscape could change from day to day. Nothing is written on stone tablets. After I went through this process, I'd still have the option to buy the VT. Having an option is always better than having no option. Anyway, it's up to Decibels to decide what to do, and I gave him my best advice as to what "I" would do in this situation based on my own 40 years experience in buying A/V gear from stores.
cajieboy is offline  
post #13687 of 14741 Old 05-14-2015, 12:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
repete66211's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Kansas City area
Posts: 1,731
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 288
I agree. No price is final until the purchase is made. And given the IR issue, as well as the misrepresentation of the number of hours on the unit, I think there is significant leverage for a price drop on the ZT. But when this conversation began a few weeks ago, decibels said they weren't willing to come down any more on the price.

repete66211 is offline  
post #13688 of 14741 Old 05-14-2015, 04:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
drewTT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Orange County
Posts: 2,606
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 603
I have passed 2,700 hours on mine. I have noticed minor IR that goes away very quickly, fortunately. I have been gaming on the set quite a bit as well. So far so good as nothing on the market at this point interests me.
Sonyboy likes this.

LG OLED65E6 | Marantz AV8802A | Marantz MM8077 | Panasonic DMP-UB900 | PS Audio PerfectWave P3 | B&W CM9 | B&W CM5 | Dual JL Audio Fathom f112
Maingear Drift Z170 GTX 1080 HTPC | BDI Mirage 8227 | Logitech Harmony Elite | Synology DS916+ | TEAC UD-503 | Focal Solo6 Be | Vizio P50-C1
drewTT is online now  
post #13689 of 14741 Old 05-14-2015, 06:49 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Another question...

When I move, I'm looking to mount my ZT60 on the wall. I guess judging by the owner's manual, you need a mounting bracket just to mount it on the wall? Where can I find it?
I guess Panasonic says this model? TY-WK5P1RW
Cali2Colo is offline  
post #13690 of 14741 Old 05-14-2015, 07:13 PM
Advanced Member
 
eaayoung's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 794
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali2Colo View Post
Another question...

When I move, I'm looking to mount my ZT60 on the wall. I guess judging by the owner's manual, you need a mounting bracket just to mount it on the wall? Where can I find it?
I guess Panasonic says this model? TY-WK5P1RW
Costco, Best Buy, Frys and most any store that carries TVs. I prefer the major brands, like Sansus, Chief and etc. and which are full motion or articulating type. But get whatever floats your boat. The cheap Chinese knockoffs work, but the quality is not as good. You can get great deals online.
eaayoung is offline  
post #13691 of 14741 Old 05-14-2015, 07:37 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaayoung View Post
Costco, Best Buy, Frys and most any store that carries TVs. I prefer the major brands, like Sansus, Chief and etc. and which are full motion or articulating type. But get whatever floats your boat. The cheap Chinese knockoffs work, but the quality is not as good. You can get great deals online.
Let me rephrase because I think I didn't word the question properly.
Based on my reading of the owner's manual and inspecting the rear of the TV, I get the impression that in order to mount it to the wall, I need to buy some sort of adapter plate. I say this because the 4 screws holes on the back of the TV are slightly recessed into the panel. Is this correct or do normal TV mounts come with bushings of some sort?




I'm looking at:

OmniMount OS120FM
or
Kanto FMX3

They've both received superb reviews. If I buy either one, do I need any extra brackets or adapters or anything of the like?
Cali2Colo is offline  
post #13692 of 14741 Old 05-14-2015, 08:41 PM
Advanced Member
 
eaayoung's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 794
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali2Colo View Post
Let me rephrase because I think I didn't word the question properly.
Based on my reading of the owner's manual and inspecting the rear of the TV, I get the impression that in order to mount it to the wall, I need to buy some sort of adapter plate. I say this because the 4 screws holes on the back of the TV are slightly recessed into the panel. Is this correct or do normal TV mounts come with bushings of some sort?




I'm looking at:

OmniMount OS120FM
or
Kanto FMX3

They've both received superb reviews. If I buy either one, do I need any extra brackets or adapters or anything of the like?
No. The product listed is a Panasonic wall mount. You could use that mount or any other mount as long as the mount is rated for the size and weight of your tv. The mount you buy will most likely come with the screws needed. But the important point to know when mounting a tv to the wall is to make sure to use the right screw for size and thread. Review your manual for what you need. If you go with a longer screw with more depth, you could damage the internal electronics of the tv. I would look it up in my manual but have misplaced mine.
eaayoung is offline  
post #13693 of 14741 Old 05-14-2015, 09:46 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaayoung View Post
No. The product listed is a Panasonic wall mount. You could use that mount or any other mount as long as the mount is rated for the size and weight of your tv. The mount you buy will most likely come with the screws needed. But the important point to know when mounting a tv to the wall is to make sure to use the right screw for size and thread. Review your manual for what you need. If you go with a longer screw with more depth, you could damage the internal electronics of the tv. I would look it up in my manual but have misplaced mine.
Gotcha! minimum is 17.0 mm maximum is 23.00 mm per owners manual
Much appreciated!
Cali2Colo is offline  
post #13694 of 14741 Old 05-15-2015, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member
 
decibels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 610
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaayoung View Post
I would buy the 65VT60. I don't think the curve is going away anytime soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajieboy View Post
Decibels, all I can say is that you're really quite fortunate to find a NIB 65VT60 still in a store. Or even a floor model ZT for that matter. Wonder how many hours were actually on the ZT? How much are they asking for the VT?

True Burn-in ain't easy to accomplish, and I'm thinking it's more likely the ZT just had a bad case of IR, which could be dealt with given a little time & effort. Also, that IR problem could be used as a huge bargaining chip in getting the price greatly reduced. An option for you would be to get a SUPER deal on the ZT, bring it home and go to work on it with screen-wipe tools, etc. to see if you can get rid of the problem. Just be patient. After a week of giving the ZT a serious effort at fixing the IR, and you still can't get it to go away, then simply enact your 30-day return policy and take the ZT back to the store.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloverleaf View Post
Seconded. A BNIB VT is going to be rare, and in reality achieves 99% of what the ZT is capable of. I'd snatch their hands off. You will probably get close to your money back on it if you do decided to sell it within the next couple of years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajieboy View Post
Depends on what the store is willing to price out the VT. I'd say "hell yes" to the VT if pricing isn't off the scales. But I'd also like to weigh-in my options if I could get the store to offer me the deal of a century on a floor model ZT with IR/Burn-in issues. BTW, I'd use the "burn-in" term when negotiating w/the Store, and would emphasize the ZT being a "used" TV with blankety-blank hours already logged on it. Anything to bad-mouth the ZT the better, and get some buyer's leverage moving forward. The TV has already been written off by the Store as it's been quite a long time since these TV's were released. After all the new 2015 4K TV's have come in, I doubt there's even going to be any room to show it, and most average Joe 6pack customers will consider the ZT plasma as dino-tech. All to your favor in possibly getting a steal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by repete66211 View Post
The store already went down as low as they would go on the ZT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajieboy View Post
"No" does not necessarily mean "No" in sales-speak and dealing with big-box stores. But then again, not everyone possesses adequate negotiating skills either. I'd make another run at it, and would not deal with just any sales monkey on the floor. In the slippery slope of A/V pricing, the landscape could change from day to day. Nothing is written on stone tablets. After I went through this process, I'd still have the option to buy the VT. Having an option is always better than having no option. Anyway, it's up to Decibels to decide what to do, and I gave him my best advice as to what "I" would do in this situation based on my own 40 years experience in buying A/V gear from stores.
Quote:
Originally Posted by repete66211 View Post
I agree. No price is final until the purchase is made. And given the IR issue, as well as the misrepresentation of the number of hours on the unit, I think there is significant leverage for a price drop on the ZT. But when this conversation began a few weeks ago, decibels said they weren't willing to come down any more on the price.
Hey guys, thanks for all the feedback, sorry was absent for a few days...the lowest price I could get was $2100 on the ZT with about 1600 hours on it and the IR was pretty bad, they ran a clean/erase protocol that was given to them by Panasonic and while it improved the IR, it was still very visible...as for the 65VT60 the price on that is $2750 plus taxes and the extended warranty (if it is worth buying that).

My humble yet growing like weeds SACD collection

HT: Anthem AVM60, Anthem MCA 50, Anthem PVA 7, Oppo BDP-103, Sony HAP-Z1ES, PS3, Graham Slee ULDE, Graham Slee ERA Gold V, Pioneer PL 518 turntable
SP: Paradigm Studio 100's, CC 690, Studio 20's SR, Studio 20's SB, SVS SB13 Plus
decibels is offline  
post #13695 of 14741 Old 05-15-2015, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member
 
Sonyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Saint Louis. MO
Posts: 700
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 78
That's not a bad price for a NIB 65VT60. I would go that route if you are deciding between the two. It may be a a while before 65 4K Oled is in that price range.
Sonyboy is offline  
post #13696 of 14741 Old 05-15-2015, 11:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cajieboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Space Coast, Florida
Posts: 4,648
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by decibels View Post
Hey guys, thanks for all the feedback, sorry was absent for a few days...the lowest price I could get was $2100 on the ZT with about 1600 hours on it and the IR was pretty bad, they ran a clean/erase protocol that was given to them by Panasonic and while it improved the IR, it was still very visible...as for the 65VT60 the price on that is $2750 plus taxes and the extended warranty (if it is worth buying that).
A $650 difference in the cost of a new VT vs. a used ZT w/1600 hrs. + a bad IR problem. Hmmmm...$650 is quite a chunk of change, which could be put towards purchasing a number of other A/V gear. What if the Store had said you have a choice for $2700, "the floor model ZT + a new OPPO 103D (Darbee Edition), or a new 65VT60? Which one would you take? That's a close equivalency of the deal. Personally, I think I could fix that IR issue on the ZT, so that would save you $650. But in the event I wasn't successful, then after a week I'd take the ZT back to the Store, and swap for the VT.

BTW, 1600 hrs. is nothing, and keep in mind that electronic failures on new gear usually will show up within the first few hundred hours of operation. I'd look at everything w/a keen eye before leaving the store, but if the IR issue is it, then it would not be a deal breaker for me.
cajieboy is offline  
post #13697 of 14741 Old 05-15-2015, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
xvfx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 1,362
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajieboy View Post
Personally, I think I could fix that IR issue on the ZT, so that would save you $650. But in the event I wasn't successful, then after a week I'd take the ZT back to the Store, and swap for the VT.
If its still there in a weeks time to swap…
xvfx is offline  
post #13698 of 14741 Old 05-15-2015, 04:27 PM
Advanced Member
 
decibels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 610
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajieboy View Post
A $650 difference in the cost of a new VT vs. a used ZT w/1600 hrs. + a bad IR problem. Hmmmm...$650 is quite a chunk of change, which could be put towards purchasing a number of other A/V gear. What if the Store had said you have a choice for $2700, "the floor model ZT + a new OPPO 103D (Darbee Edition), or a new 65VT60? Which one would you take? That's a close equivalency of the deal. Personally, I think I could fix that IR issue on the ZT, so that would save you $650. But in the event I wasn't successful, then after a week I'd take the ZT back to the Store, and swap for the VT.

BTW, 1600 hrs. is nothing, and keep in mind that electronic failures on new gear usually will show up within the first few hundred hours of operation. I'd look at everything w/a keen eye before leaving the store, but if the IR issue is it, then it would not be a deal breaker for me.
Yes, I asked about an exchange in case the IR did not improve and they would not go for it...I will check back with them in a week and hope that they are more motivated to move the inventory...

BTW, totally agree with the math concept and I own an Oppo 103 and upgraded all of other gear...the TV is the last piece and I have been patient because my current Panny plasma still works fabulously, although the PQ does not come close to the ZT or VT.

My humble yet growing like weeds SACD collection

HT: Anthem AVM60, Anthem MCA 50, Anthem PVA 7, Oppo BDP-103, Sony HAP-Z1ES, PS3, Graham Slee ULDE, Graham Slee ERA Gold V, Pioneer PL 518 turntable
SP: Paradigm Studio 100's, CC 690, Studio 20's SR, Studio 20's SB, SVS SB13 Plus
decibels is offline  
post #13699 of 14741 Old 05-15-2015, 04:29 PM
Advanced Member
 
decibels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 610
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajieboy View Post
Personally, I think I could fix that IR issue on the ZT, so that would save you $650. But in the event I wasn't successful, then after a week I'd take the ZT back to the Store, and swap for the VT.
What would be your formula to fix the issue?

My humble yet growing like weeds SACD collection

HT: Anthem AVM60, Anthem MCA 50, Anthem PVA 7, Oppo BDP-103, Sony HAP-Z1ES, PS3, Graham Slee ULDE, Graham Slee ERA Gold V, Pioneer PL 518 turntable
SP: Paradigm Studio 100's, CC 690, Studio 20's SR, Studio 20's SB, SVS SB13 Plus
decibels is offline  
post #13700 of 14741 Old 05-15-2015, 04:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cajieboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Space Coast, Florida
Posts: 4,648
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by xvfx View Post
If its still there in a weeks time to swap…
Yep, lots of "if's". Maybe the dude cracks the screen on the way home in small fender bender, or maybe after the buyer gets home and plugs in the VT there's a terrible thunderstorm late at night that send an electrical surge and frying the TV. I could go on, and on but you get the picture. Life's a gamble, but a person can minimalize the risks of their decisions & choices. I presented that path. The VT has been hanging around that Store for at least 18 months, and there's another fresh crop of 4K displays arriving to dazzle customer's eyes. Likelihood that the VT would be sold in those 7 days (maybe less) interim between purchasing the used ZT and returning it back to the Store is slim if not....minimal. As I said, life's a gamble.
cajieboy is offline  
post #13701 of 14741 Old 05-15-2015, 05:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cajieboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Space Coast, Florida
Posts: 4,648
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by decibels View Post
What would be your formula to fix the issue?
Decibels, your last post made all this moot for me. You said the magic deal breaker that I would never abide by, and that my friend is the "no return policy" the Store told you about the ZT. Given that very important fact, I'd scratch even considering the used ZT w/serious IR problems.

In effect, the Store wants you to pony-up $2100 for a defective display w/no way to exchange it if you weren't happy with the purchase once you got home. I bought my Panasonic 60ST60 from Amazon,and I had 30 days to decide to keep it or return & freight paid for a complete refund. No way would I even consider buying a TV w/o an exchange policy from the Seller. Get the VT, but only if there's an exchange policy.
cajieboy is offline  
post #13702 of 14741 Old 05-15-2015, 11:02 PM
Member
 
Cloverleaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: London UK
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by decibels View Post
Yes, I asked about an exchange in case the IR did not improve and they would not go for it...I will check back with them in a week and hope that they are more motivated to move the inventory...

BTW, totally agree with the math concept and I own an Oppo 103 and upgraded all of other gear...the TV is the last piece and I have been patient because my current Panny plasma still works fabulously, although the PQ does not come close to the ZT or VT.
I wouldn't touch the ZT with a bargepole, return policy or not. You will not shift the IR, you would be deluding yourself if you wanted to try. If it was that easy, the store would shift it themselves, and sell it on for whole chunk of money more.

The price for the VT is fair. Grab it while you can.

Panasonic ZT65 (isf calibrated) / Cambridge Audio 752BD / Sky+ HD / Pioneer LX55 / Tannoy Arena 5.1 / Dual CS506 / Rega Mini Fono / Isotek Mira / Antimode 8033 / QED + Audioquest Cables / Virgin Media 50MB Network /
Cloverleaf is offline  
post #13703 of 14741 Old 05-16-2015, 01:40 AM
Advanced Member
 
decibels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 610
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 144
okay you guys have me leaning in the direction of the VT...I am going to call them tomorrow and see if they are willing to go any lower...what are your guys thought on the extended warranty for $400/5 yrs?

My humble yet growing like weeds SACD collection

HT: Anthem AVM60, Anthem MCA 50, Anthem PVA 7, Oppo BDP-103, Sony HAP-Z1ES, PS3, Graham Slee ULDE, Graham Slee ERA Gold V, Pioneer PL 518 turntable
SP: Paradigm Studio 100's, CC 690, Studio 20's SR, Studio 20's SB, SVS SB13 Plus
decibels is offline  
post #13704 of 14741 Old 05-16-2015, 02:38 AM
Member
 
Cloverleaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: London UK
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by decibels View Post
okay you guys have me leaning in the direction of the VT...I am going to call them tomorrow and see if they are willing to go any lower...what are your guys thought on the extended warranty for $400/5 yrs?

That's going to have to be your call. Personally, I wouldn't. If you have a serious fault that requires a new panel, there aren't any, so you are likely to just end up with an LED to replace it. Why not use the $400 to self insure against any minor faults that can be repaired, and if you don't use it, then you have $400 to go towards you future OLED !

Panasonic ZT65 (isf calibrated) / Cambridge Audio 752BD / Sky+ HD / Pioneer LX55 / Tannoy Arena 5.1 / Dual CS506 / Rega Mini Fono / Isotek Mira / Antimode 8033 / QED + Audioquest Cables / Virgin Media 50MB Network /
Cloverleaf is offline  
post #13705 of 14741 Old 05-16-2015, 02:50 AM
Senior Member
 
sarahb75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Norton, Ohio
Posts: 452
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Exclamation Scott's Guest Stated That Plasma Has 3 Times The Life-Span Of Current OLEDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyboy View Post
That's not a bad price for a NIB 65VT60. I would go that route if you are deciding between the two. It may be a a while before 65 4K Oled is in that price range.
And an even longer while until OLED will be able to match the life-span of plasma. If you listen to Scott Wilkinson's Home Theater Geeks show #255 , (recorded May 7 2015) one of the 2 highly regarded calibrators that are Scott's guests, makes a statement about OLED's life cycle that will really shake up guys like me who have been waiting for large, affordable OLEDs. This renowned calibrator said that if someone buys one of LG's current OLED displays, unless that buyer doesn't watch very much TV, he should expect that the OLED will no longer be functional in 5 years. It was also stated that the later plasmas have a life expectancy that is 3 times as long as the OLEDs that LG is now producing.

The foregoing certainly let the air out of my OLED enthusiasm balloon. Having recently retired, I just don't think I want to take the budgetary hit from buying an expensive TV every 5 years, or less. Judging by my family history, I probably have at least 15 or 20 years left to live, so if I'm going to invest in a very expensive UHD TV, an appropriate requirement for such a display would be that it is designed to at least approach a similar life-span.
sarahb75 is offline  
post #13706 of 14741 Old 05-16-2015, 04:03 AM
Advanced Member
 
Bruce2019's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Europe
Posts: 519
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Actually right now it is a very bad time to get a new tv. Oled is in beta status, plasma is second hand, lcd is 4k hdr and all the stuff. Not future proof at all. Before there are not the first 4k Hdr blu rays in the shelves, I would not touch 4k.


It is the perfect time to stick to your tv that you already own, happily and saving a lot of money.


The oled situation can be look completely different in 2 or 3 years.

Last edited by Bruce2019; 05-16-2015 at 04:07 AM.
Bruce2019 is offline  
post #13707 of 14741 Old 05-16-2015, 05:24 AM
Advanced Member
 
eaayoung's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 794
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce2019 View Post
Actually right now it is a very bad time to get a new tv. Oled is in beta status, plasma is second hand, lcd is 4k hdr and all the stuff. Not future proof at all. Before there are not the first 4k Hdr blu rays in the shelves, I would not touch 4k.


It is the perfect time to stick to your tv that you already own, happily and saving a lot of money.


The oled situation can be look completely different in 2 or 3 years.

2-3 years is a long time. Plus, those curve screens aren't going away anytime soon. I don't care that plasma is second hand compared to OLED. IMO, all of the OLED currently on the market can't provide what a 65" VT provides today and in the foreseeable future. And LCD/LED is still just that.

Sometimes, last year's model is the better buy compared to the current model. I would buy the VT and be set for 5+ years.

Last edited by eaayoung; 05-16-2015 at 08:46 AM.
eaayoung is offline  
post #13708 of 14741 Old 05-16-2015, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member
 
Bruce2019's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Europe
Posts: 519
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Getting a great second hand tv is good for everybody. For the seller, for the buyer, for the environment. Only bad for the companies that want to sell new tvs.


:-)
Bruce2019 is offline  
post #13709 of 14741 Old 05-16-2015, 08:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cajieboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Space Coast, Florida
Posts: 4,648
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by decibels View Post
okay you guys have me leaning in the direction of the VT...I am going to call them tomorrow and see if they are willing to go any lower...what are your guys thought on the extended warranty for $400/5 yrs?
Maybe, depends on cost, and certainly NOT from that Store you mentioned. You can buy an EW from just about anybody w/o having to also buy their TV. Amazon has an EW from Square Trade for almost half of what that Store quoted you. I'd buy from them, which is actually what I did in late December 2013. Your call.
cajieboy is offline  
post #13710 of 14741 Old 05-16-2015, 08:57 AM
Advanced Member
 
eaayoung's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 794
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by decibels View Post
okay you guys have me leaning in the direction of the VT...I am going to call them tomorrow and see if they are willing to go any lower...what are your guys thought on the extended warranty for $400/5 yrs?
I'm not a big fan of extended warranties. But for $99, I'm also not adverse to picking up a Square Trade extended warranty from Costco. Plus, you don't have to purchase the TV from Costco. I've never had to use one on the the five Panasonic plasma TV's I've owned. But for $99, peace of mind.
eaayoung is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65zt60 65 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60zt60 60 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off