Official ZT60 Owners Thread - Page 457 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #13681 of 13855 Old 05-13-2015, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 281
^^^Yeah, I really don't understand why anyone posts pictures in an online review. After camera processing, photography software rendering and the viewer's monitor you're not seeing what the guy in the room saw.
cajieboy and sarahb75 like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13682 of 13855 Old 05-13-2015, 08:56 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by repete66211 View Post
^^^Yeah, I really don't understand why anyone posts pictures in an online review. After camera processing, photography software rendering and the viewer's monitor you're not seeing what the guy in the room saw.

Its about the difference.

You can capture it for sure.

Every camera can.

:-)
post #13683 of 13855 Old 05-13-2015, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hey y'all,

New owner of a ZT60! Just got it yesterday and set it up in my bedroom (didn't need it in the living room and I'm moving soon). I have some questions about the unit, but I'm not quite sure they'll get answered...

1.) I know this may be a result of being too close to the TV, but I'm getting display noise. Basically in pictures that are not clearly defined on the video source (e.g. sky, clouds, walls) I get fuzzy pixels. It becomes less visible the farther I sit from the TV but at 8 feet, it's definitely still there. Is this a by-product of having a plasma TV or are there settings that need to be configured?

2.) I've read over and over again about calibration. I can't afford to pay somebody to come calibrate my TV after having just bought the thing. Are there some user-performed calibrations posted online? I know there isn't a one-size fits all, but the only one I could find was on a C-NET forum using picture setting "Cinema." I'm not happy with the picture from this and think the colors look bland. I'm fine with the brightness of the screen even at a darker setting, but I want more vibrant plasma-capable colors. Any suggestions?

3.) Does accessory components such as: Blu-ray players, Cable Boxes, and etc. really matter in terms of video quality? If so, how can I decide if the video quality is up to par to match the TV's capabilities?

Thanks people!
post #13684 of 13855 Old 05-13-2015, 10:41 AM

Quick Update:

I ran the TV Self-Test, which brings up picture of tulips and a clear sky. I see absolutely no pixel/digital noise on this. However, this self-test is obviously a direct input from the TV and comes from no other source. I guess I'm happy there's no issue with the TV, but i can't bring myself to believe that there will be digital noise from every TV input I have.
post #13685 of 13855 Old 05-13-2015, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Could be the source or your settings. Check this thread for settings plus the calibration thread. Before I had my ZT calibrated, I used sillysally's VT settings.
post #13686 of 13855 Old 05-13-2015, 08:23 PM

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 33
So I went and viewed the 65ZT60 and did not purchase it as the burn in was really bad and much more visible than I could live with. The rest of the screen was incredible and there was no fan noise!

The irony of this was the logo burned in was an LG logo and the thought having to see it on a Panny Plasma every time I watched TV was not appetizing

I may end up with the 65VT60 they have, which is brand new, or wait a couple of years until OLED is priced and sized right without the curve!

Thanks everyone for your input and suggestions while I was on the hunt!

HT: Pioneer SC-85, Anthem MCA 50, Oppo BDP-103, PS3
OSD ATM-7
2CH: Pioneer Elite SX-A9-J, Pioneer PL 518 turntable, Pioneer PD M455 CD, Pioneer CT-WM77R Tape
SP: Paradigm Studio 100's, CC 690, Studio 20's SR, Studio 20's SB, Ultracube 10 SW
post #13687 of 13855 Old 05-14-2015, 05:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by decibels View Post
So I went and viewed the 65ZT60 and did not purchase it as the burn in was really bad and much more visible than I could live with. The rest of the screen was incredible and there was no fan noise!

The irony of this was the logo burned in was an LG logo and the thought having to see it on a Panny Plasma every time I watched TV was not appetizing

I may end up with the 65VT60 they have, which is brand new, or wait a couple of years until OLED is priced and sized right without the curve!

Thanks everyone for your input and suggestions while I was on the hunt!
I would buy the 65VT60. I don't think the curve is going away anytime soon.
post #13688 of 13855 Old 05-14-2015, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Decibels, all I can say is that you're really quite fortunate to find a NIB 65VT60 still in a store. Or even a floor model ZT for that matter. Wonder how many hours were actually on the ZT? How much are they asking for the VT?

True Burn-in ain't easy to accomplish, and I'm thinking it's more likely the ZT just had a bad case of IR, which could be dealt with given a little time & effort. Also, that IR problem could be used as a huge bargaining chip in getting the price greatly reduced. An option for you would be to get a SUPER deal on the ZT, bring it home and go to work on it with screen-wipe tools, etc. to see if you can get rid of the problem. Just be patient. After a week of giving the ZT a serious effort at fixing the IR, and you still can't get it to go away, then simply enact your 30-day return policy and take the ZT back to the store.
post #13689 of 13855 Old 05-14-2015, 07:25 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaayoung View Post

Seconded. A BNIB VT is going to be rare, and in reality achieves 99% of what the ZT is capable of. I'd snatch their hands off. You will probably get close to your money back on it if you do decided to sell it within the next couple of years.

Panasonic ZT65 (isf calibrated) / Cambridge Audio 752BD / Sky+ HD / Pioneer LX55 / Tannoy Arena 5.1 / Dual CS506 / Rega Mini Fono / Isotek Mira / Antimode 8033 / QED + Audioquest Cables / Virgin Media 50MB Network /
post #13690 of 13855 Old 05-14-2015, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

In 2013 the first 55" OLED TV was $14,999.99!

and less than a year later they had street prices of $2K at Microcenter
More recently..about 3 weeks ago....Fry's had a one day sale on the newer model for $1500
In a commodity market...which I think TV's have become....the manufacturers have to know that there is a VERY small market for flagship TV's
Sure there will be a few early adopters...but after that watch the prices fall and fall and fall during the season
I think OLED is going to have to be about 50% of the street price it is now to gain any real traction

Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Marantz 8801 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM5's.rears
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Denon 4520 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Pioneer SC77 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 Onkyo 5009 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
post #13691 of 13855 Old 05-14-2015, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloverleaf View Post
Seconded. A BNIB VT is going to be rare, and in reality achieves 99% of what the ZT is capable of. I'd snatch their hands off. You will probably get close to your money back on it if you do decided to sell it within the next couple of years.
Depends on what the store is willing to price out the VT. I'd say "hell yes" to the VT if pricing isn't off the scales. But I'd also like to weigh-in my options if I could get the store to offer me the deal of a century on a floor model ZT with IR/Burn-in issues. BTW, I'd use the "burn-in" term when negotiating w/the Store, and would emphasize the ZT being a "used" TV with blankety-blank hours already logged on it. Anything to bad-mouth the ZT the better, and get some buyer's leverage moving forward. The TV has already been written off by the Store as it's been quite a long time since these TV's were released. After all the new 2015 4K TV's have come in, I doubt there's even going to be any room to show it, and most average Joe 6pack customers will consider the ZT plasma as dino-tech. All to your favor in possibly getting a steal.
post #13692 of 13855 Old 05-14-2015, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

The store already went down as low as they would go on the ZT.

post #13693 of 13855 Old 05-14-2015, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
"No" does not necessarily mean "No" in sales-speak and dealing with big-box stores. But then again, not everyone possesses adequate negotiating skills either. I'd make another run at it, and would not deal with just any sales monkey on the floor. In the slippery slope of A/V pricing, the landscape could change from day to day. Nothing is written on stone tablets. After I went through this process, I'd still have the option to buy the VT. Having an option is always better than having no option. Anyway, it's up to Decibels to decide what to do, and I gave him my best advice as to what "I" would do in this situation based on my own 40 years experience in buying A/V gear from stores.
post #13694 of 13855 Old 05-14-2015, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

I agree. No price is final until the purchase is made. And given the IR issue, as well as the misrepresentation of the number of hours on the unit, I think there is significant leverage for a price drop on the ZT. But when this conversation began a few weeks ago, decibels said they weren't willing to come down any more on the price.

post #13695 of 13855 Old 05-14-2015, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 134
I have passed 2,700 hours on mine. I have noticed minor IR that goes away very quickly, fortunately. I have been gaming on the set quite a bit as well. So far so good as nothing on the market at this point interests me.
Sonyboy likes this.
post #13696 of 13855 Old 05-14-2015, 06:49 PM

Another question...

When I move, I'm looking to mount my ZT60 on the wall. I guess judging by the owner's manual, you need a mounting bracket just to mount it on the wall? Where can I find it?
I guess Panasonic says this model? TY-WK5P1RW
post #13697 of 13855 Old 05-14-2015, 07:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali2Colo View Post
Another question...

When I move, I'm looking to mount my ZT60 on the wall. I guess judging by the owner's manual, you need a mounting bracket just to mount it on the wall? Where can I find it?
I guess Panasonic says this model? TY-WK5P1RW
Costco, Best Buy, Frys and most any store that carries TVs. I prefer the major brands, like Sansus, Chief and etc. and which are full motion or articulating type. But get whatever floats your boat. The cheap Chinese knockoffs work, but the quality is not as good. You can get great deals online.
post #13698 of 13855 Old 05-14-2015, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Costco, Best Buy, Frys and most any store that carries TVs. I prefer the major brands, like Sansus, Chief and etc. and which are full motion or articulating type. But get whatever floats your boat. The cheap Chinese knockoffs work, but the quality is not as good. You can get great deals online.
Let me rephrase because I think I didn't word the question properly.
Based on my reading of the owner's manual and inspecting the rear of the TV, I get the impression that in order to mount it to the wall, I need to buy some sort of adapter plate. I say this because the 4 screws holes on the back of the TV are slightly recessed into the panel. Is this correct or do normal TV mounts come with bushings of some sort?

I'm looking at:

OmniMount OS120FM
or
Kanto FMX3

They've both received superb reviews. If I buy either one, do I need any extra brackets or adapters or anything of the like?
post #13699 of 13855 Old 05-14-2015, 08:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali2Colo View Post
Let me rephrase because I think I didn't word the question properly.
Based on my reading of the owner's manual and inspecting the rear of the TV, I get the impression that in order to mount it to the wall, I need to buy some sort of adapter plate. I say this because the 4 screws holes on the back of the TV are slightly recessed into the panel. Is this correct or do normal TV mounts come with bushings of some sort?

I'm looking at:

OmniMount OS120FM
or
Kanto FMX3

They've both received superb reviews. If I buy either one, do I need any extra brackets or adapters or anything of the like?
No. The product listed is a Panasonic wall mount. You could use that mount or any other mount as long as the mount is rated for the size and weight of your tv. The mount you buy will most likely come with the screws needed. But the important point to know when mounting a tv to the wall is to make sure to use the right screw for size and thread. Review your manual for what you need. If you go with a longer screw with more depth, you could damage the internal electronics of the tv. I would look it up in my manual but have misplaced mine.
post #13700 of 13855 Old 05-14-2015, 09:46 PM

Quote:
No. The product listed is a Panasonic wall mount. You could use that mount or any other mount as long as the mount is rated for the size and weight of your tv. The mount you buy will most likely come with the screws needed. But the important point to know when mounting a tv to the wall is to make sure to use the right screw for size and thread. Review your manual for what you need. If you go with a longer screw with more depth, you could damage the internal electronics of the tv. I would look it up in my manual but have misplaced mine.
Gotcha! minimum is 17.0 mm maximum is 23.00 mm per owners manual
Much appreciated!
post #13701 of 13855 Old 05-15-2015, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajieboy View Post
Decibels, all I can say is that you're really quite fortunate to find a NIB 65VT60 still in a store. Or even a floor model ZT for that matter. Wonder how many hours were actually on the ZT? How much are they asking for the VT?

True Burn-in ain't easy to accomplish, and I'm thinking it's more likely the ZT just had a bad case of IR, which could be dealt with given a little time & effort. Also, that IR problem could be used as a huge bargaining chip in getting the price greatly reduced. An option for you would be to get a SUPER deal on the ZT, bring it home and go to work on it with screen-wipe tools, etc. to see if you can get rid of the problem. Just be patient. After a week of giving the ZT a serious effort at fixing the IR, and you still can't get it to go away, then simply enact your 30-day return policy and take the ZT back to the store.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloverleaf View Post
Quote:
Depends on what the store is willing to price out the VT. I'd say "hell yes" to the VT if pricing isn't off the scales. But I'd also like to weigh-in my options if I could get the store to offer me the deal of a century on a floor model ZT with IR/Burn-in issues. BTW, I'd use the "burn-in" term when negotiating w/the Store, and would emphasize the ZT being a "used" TV with blankety-blank hours already logged on it. Anything to bad-mouth the ZT the better, and get some buyer's leverage moving forward. The TV has already been written off by the Store as it's been quite a long time since these TV's were released. After all the new 2015 4K TV's have come in, I doubt there's even going to be any room to show it, and most average Joe 6pack customers will consider the ZT plasma as dino-tech. All to your favor in possibly getting a steal.
Quote:
Quote:
"No" does not necessarily mean "No" in sales-speak and dealing with big-box stores. But then again, not everyone possesses adequate negotiating skills either. I'd make another run at it, and would not deal with just any sales monkey on the floor. In the slippery slope of A/V pricing, the landscape could change from day to day. Nothing is written on stone tablets. After I went through this process, I'd still have the option to buy the VT. Having an option is always better than having no option. Anyway, it's up to Decibels to decide what to do, and I gave him my best advice as to what "I" would do in this situation based on my own 40 years experience in buying A/V gear from stores.
Quote:
I agree. No price is final until the purchase is made. And given the IR issue, as well as the misrepresentation of the number of hours on the unit, I think there is significant leverage for a price drop on the ZT. But when this conversation began a few weeks ago, decibels said they weren't willing to come down any more on the price.
Hey guys, thanks for all the feedback, sorry was absent for a few days...the lowest price I could get was $2100 on the ZT with about 1600 hours on it and the IR was pretty bad, they ran a clean/erase protocol that was given to them by Panasonic and while it improved the IR, it was still very visible...as for the 65VT60 the price on that is $2750 plus taxes and the extended warranty (if it is worth buying that).

OSD ATM-7
2CH: Pioneer Elite SX-A9-J, Pioneer PL 518 turntable, Pioneer PD M455 CD, Pioneer CT-WM77R Tape
SP: Paradigm Studio 100's, CC 690, Studio 20's SR, Studio 20's SB, Ultracube 10 SW
post #13702 of 13855 Old 05-15-2015, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 58
That's not a bad price for a NIB 65VT60. I would go that route if you are deciding between the two. It may be a a while before 65 4K Oled is in that price range.
post #13703 of 13855 Old 05-15-2015, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hey guys, thanks for all the feedback, sorry was absent for a few days...the lowest price I could get was $2100 on the ZT with about 1600 hours on it and the IR was pretty bad, they ran a clean/erase protocol that was given to them by Panasonic and while it improved the IR, it was still very visible...as for the 65VT60 the price on that is $2750 plus taxes and the extended warranty (if it is worth buying that).
A $650 difference in the cost of a new VT vs. a used ZT w/1600 hrs. + a bad IR problem. Hmmmm...$650 is quite a chunk of change, which could be put towards purchasing a number of other A/V gear. What if the Store had said you have a choice for $2700, "the floor model ZT + a new OPPO 103D (Darbee Edition), or a new 65VT60? Which one would you take? That's a close equivalency of the deal. Personally, I think I could fix that IR issue on the ZT, so that would save you $650. But in the event I wasn't successful, then after a week I'd take the ZT back to the Store, and swap for the VT.

BTW, 1600 hrs. is nothing, and keep in mind that electronic failures on new gear usually will show up within the first few hundred hours of operation. I'd look at everything w/a keen eye before leaving the store, but if the IR issue is it, then it would not be a deal breaker for me.
post #13704 of 13855 Old 05-15-2015, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Personally, I think I could fix that IR issue on the ZT, so that would save you $650. But in the event I wasn't successful, then after a week I'd take the ZT back to the Store, and swap for the VT.
If its still there in a weeks time to swap…
post #13705 of 13855 Old 05-15-2015, 04:27 PM

Quote:
A $650 difference in the cost of a new VT vs. a used ZT w/1600 hrs. + a bad IR problem. Hmmmm...$650 is quite a chunk of change, which could be put towards purchasing a number of other A/V gear. What if the Store had said you have a choice for $2700, "the floor model ZT + a new OPPO 103D (Darbee Edition), or a new 65VT60? Which one would you take? That's a close equivalency of the deal. Personally, I think I could fix that IR issue on the ZT, so that would save you $650. But in the event I wasn't successful, then after a week I'd take the ZT back to the Store, and swap for the VT.

BTW, 1600 hrs. is nothing, and keep in mind that electronic failures on new gear usually will show up within the first few hundred hours of operation. I'd look at everything w/a keen eye before leaving the store, but if the IR issue is it, then it would not be a deal breaker for me.
Yes, I asked about an exchange in case the IR did not improve and they would not go for it...I will check back with them in a week and hope that they are more motivated to move the inventory...

BTW, totally agree with the math concept and I own an Oppo 103 and upgraded all of other gear...the TV is the last piece and I have been patient because my current Panny plasma still works fabulously, although the PQ does not come close to the ZT or VT.

OSD ATM-7
post #13706 of 13855 Old 05-15-2015, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Personally, I think I could fix that IR issue on the ZT, so that would save you $650. But in the event I wasn't successful, then after a week I'd take the ZT back to the Store, and swap for the VT.
What would be your formula to fix the issue?

OSD ATM-7
post #13707 of 13855 Old 05-15-2015, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xvfx View Post
If its still there in a weeks time to swap…
Yep, lots of "if's". Maybe the dude cracks the screen on the way home in small fender bender, or maybe after the buyer gets home and plugs in the VT there's a terrible thunderstorm late at night that send an electrical surge and frying the TV. I could go on, and on but you get the picture. Life's a gamble, but a person can minimalize the risks of their decisions & choices. I presented that path. The VT has been hanging around that Store for at least 18 months, and there's another fresh crop of 4K displays arriving to dazzle customer's eyes. Likelihood that the VT would be sold in those 7 days (maybe less) interim between purchasing the used ZT and returning it back to the Store is slim if not....minimal. As I said, life's a gamble.
post #13708 of 13855 Old 05-15-2015, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
What would be your formula to fix the issue?
Decibels, your last post made all this moot for me. You said the magic deal breaker that I would never abide by, and that my friend is the "no return policy" the Store told you about the ZT. Given that very important fact, I'd scratch even considering the used ZT w/serious IR problems.

In effect, the Store wants you to pony-up $2100 for a defective display w/no way to exchange it if you weren't happy with the purchase once you got home. I bought my Panasonic 60ST60 from Amazon,and I had 30 days to decide to keep it or return & freight paid for a complete refund. No way would I even consider buying a TV w/o an exchange policy from the Seller. Get the VT, but only if there's an exchange policy.
post #13709 of 13855 Old 05-15-2015, 11:02 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Yes, I asked about an exchange in case the IR did not improve and they would not go for it...I will check back with them in a week and hope that they are more motivated to move the inventory...

BTW, totally agree with the math concept and I own an Oppo 103 and upgraded all of other gear...the TV is the last piece and I have been patient because my current Panny plasma still works fabulously, although the PQ does not come close to the ZT or VT.
I wouldn't touch the ZT with a bargepole, return policy or not. You will not shift the IR, you would be deluding yourself if you wanted to try. If it was that easy, the store would shift it themselves, and sell it on for whole chunk of money more.

The price for the VT is fair. Grab it while you can.

Panasonic ZT65 (isf calibrated) / Cambridge Audio 752BD / Sky+ HD / Pioneer LX55 / Tannoy Arena 5.1 / Dual CS506 / Rega Mini Fono / Isotek Mira / Antimode 8033 / QED + Audioquest Cables / Virgin Media 50MB Network /
post #13710 of 13855 Old 05-16-2015, 01:40 AM

okay you guys have me leaning in the direction of the VT...I am going to call them tomorrow and see if they are willing to go any lower...what are your guys thought on the extended warranty for $400/5 yrs?

OSD ATM-7
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65zt60 65 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60zt60 60 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page