Official ZT60 Owners Thread - Page 458 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #13711 of 13737 Old 05-16-2015, 02:38 AM
Member
 
Cloverleaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: London UK
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by decibels View Post
okay you guys have me leaning in the direction of the VT...I am going to call them tomorrow and see if they are willing to go any lower...what are your guys thought on the extended warranty for $400/5 yrs?

That's going to have to be your call. Personally, I wouldn't. If you have a serious fault that requires a new panel, there aren't any, so you are likely to just end up with an LED to replace it. Why not use the $400 to self insure against any minor faults that can be repaired, and if you don't use it, then you have $400 to go towards you future OLED !

Panasonic ZT65 (isf calibrated) / Cambridge Audio 752BD / Sky+ HD / Pioneer LX55 / Tannoy Arena 5.1 / Dual CS506 / Rega Mini Fono / Isotek Mira / Antimode 8033 / QED + Audioquest Cables / Virgin Media 50MB Network /
Cloverleaf is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #13712 of 13737 Old 05-16-2015, 02:50 AM
Member
 
sarahb75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Norton, Ohio
Posts: 176
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Exclamation Scott's Guest Stated That Plasma Has 3 Times The Life-Span Of Current OLEDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyboy View Post
That's not a bad price for a NIB 65VT60. I would go that route if you are deciding between the two. It may be a a while before 65 4K Oled is in that price range.
And an even longer while until OLED will be able to match the life-span of plasma. If you listen to Scott Wilkinson's Home Theater Geeks show #255 , (recorded May 7 2015) one of the 2 highly regarded calibrators that are Scott's guests, makes a statement about OLED's life cycle that will really shake up guys like me who have been waiting for large, affordable OLEDs. This renowned calibrator said that if someone buys one of LG's current OLED displays, unless that buyer doesn't watch very much TV, he should expect that the OLED will no longer be functional in 5 years. It was also stated that the later plasmas have a life expectancy that is 3 times as long as the OLEDs that LG is now producing.

The foregoing certainly let the air out of my OLED enthusiasm balloon. Having recently retired, I just don't think I want to take the budgetary hit from buying an expensive TV every 5 years, or less. Judging by my family history, I probably have at least 15 or 20 years left to live, so if I'm going to invest in a very expensive UHD TV, an appropriate requirement for such a display would be that it is designed to at least approach a similar life-span.
sarahb75 is online now  
post #13713 of 13737 Old 05-16-2015, 04:03 AM
Senior Member
 
Bruce2019's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 337
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Actually right now it is a very bad time to get a new tv. Oled is in beta status, plasma is second hand, lcd is 4k hdr and all the stuff. Not future proof at all. Before there are not the first 4k Hdr blu rays in the shelves, I would not touch 4k.


It is the perfect time to stick to your tv that you already own, happily and saving a lot of money.


The oled situation can be look completely different in 2 or 3 years.

Last edited by Bruce2019; 05-16-2015 at 04:07 AM.
Bruce2019 is offline  
post #13714 of 13737 Old 05-16-2015, 05:24 AM
Advanced Member
 
eaayoung's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 586
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce2019 View Post
Actually right now it is a very bad time to get a new tv. Oled is in beta status, plasma is second hand, lcd is 4k hdr and all the stuff. Not future proof at all. Before there are not the first 4k Hdr blu rays in the shelves, I would not touch 4k.


It is the perfect time to stick to your tv that you already own, happily and saving a lot of money.


The oled situation can be look completely different in 2 or 3 years.

2-3 years is a long time. Plus, those curve screens aren't going away anytime soon. I don't care that plasma is second hand compared to OLED. IMO, all of the OLED currently on the market can't provide what a 65" VT provides today and in the foreseeable future. And LCD/LED is still just that.

Sometimes, last year's model is the better buy compared to the current model. I would buy the VT and be set for 5+ years.

Last edited by eaayoung; 05-16-2015 at 08:46 AM.
eaayoung is online now  
post #13715 of 13737 Old 05-16-2015, 08:29 AM
Senior Member
 
Bruce2019's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 337
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Getting a great second hand tv is good for everybody. For the seller, for the buyer, for the environment. Only bad for the companies that want to sell new tvs.


:-)
Bruce2019 is offline  
post #13716 of 13737 Old 05-16-2015, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
cajieboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Space Coast, Florida
Posts: 4,491
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by decibels View Post
okay you guys have me leaning in the direction of the VT...I am going to call them tomorrow and see if they are willing to go any lower...what are your guys thought on the extended warranty for $400/5 yrs?
Maybe, depends on cost, and certainly NOT from that Store you mentioned. You can buy an EW from just about anybody w/o having to also buy their TV. Amazon has an EW from Square Trade for almost half of what that Store quoted you. I'd buy from them, which is actually what I did in late December 2013. Your call.
cajieboy is online now  
post #13717 of 13737 Old 05-16-2015, 08:57 AM
Advanced Member
 
eaayoung's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 586
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by decibels View Post
okay you guys have me leaning in the direction of the VT...I am going to call them tomorrow and see if they are willing to go any lower...what are your guys thought on the extended warranty for $400/5 yrs?
I'm not a big fan of extended warranties. But for $99, I'm also not adverse to picking up a Square Trade extended warranty from Costco. Plus, you don't have to purchase the TV from Costco. I've never had to use one on the the five Panasonic plasma TV's I've owned. But for $99, peace of mind.
eaayoung is online now  
post #13718 of 13737 Old 05-16-2015, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member
 
cajieboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Space Coast, Florida
Posts: 4,491
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaayoung View Post
I'm not a big fan of extended warranties. But for $99, I'm also not adverse to picking up a Square Trade extended warranty from Costco. Plus, you don't have to purchase the TV from Costco. I've never had to use one on the the five Panasonic plasma TV's I've owned. But for $99, peace of mind.
WOW! $99 bucks for an EW? Are you sure the EW is for 5-years on a $2700 TV? If so, that's the best freak'in EW deal I've seen to date. Thanks.
cajieboy is online now  
post #13719 of 13737 Old 05-16-2015, 09:56 AM
Senior Member
 
decibels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 230
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 33
That is crazy good for EW at $99, will have to check to see if available in Canada.

Not to open up another can of worms, however is there any concern about HDCP 2.2 compliance or is that a non issue?
decibels is offline  
post #13720 of 13737 Old 05-16-2015, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member
 
eaayoung's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 586
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 89
I knew this was coming...

Lots of discussion on this Forum about the ST warranty via Costco. When purchased through ST or Costco, you get the manufactures warranty plus 3 years via ST. Combine the manufacture's warranty plus the ST warranty and you'll usually 4 years. If you buy the TV from Costco, you get an extra year via Costco. The ST warranty also works differently compared to the store warranties. The amount of coverage is usually the cost of the TV. The amount of coverage available is the amount of the policy. For example, say you pay $2500 for a TV and that is the policy limit. Each repair reduces the value of the policy until the coverage is exhausted. ST also establishes the cost of the repair. So if you have a $500 in year 1 of the ST warranty term, you'll only have $2000 coverage remaining for the life of the policy.
repete66211 likes this.
eaayoung is online now  
post #13721 of 13737 Old 05-16-2015, 01:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 26,799
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2865 Post(s)
Liked: 2590
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahb75 View Post
And an even longer while until OLED will be able to match the life-span of plasma. If you listen to Scott Wilkinson's Home Theater Geeks show #255 , (recorded May 7 2015) one of the 2 highly regarded calibrators that are Scott's guests, makes a statement about OLED's life cycle that will really shake up guys like me who have been waiting for large, affordable OLEDs. This renowned calibrator said that if someone buys one of LG's current OLED displays, unless that buyer doesn't watch very much TV, he should expect that the OLED will no longer be functional in 5 years. It was also stated that the later plasmas have a life expectancy that is 3 times as long as the OLEDs that LG is now producing.

The foregoing certainly let the air out of my OLED enthusiasm balloon. Having recently retired, I just don't think I want to take the budgetary hit from buying an expensive TV every 5 years, or less. Judging by my family history, I probably have at least 15 or 20 years left to live, so if I'm going to invest in a very expensive UHD TV, an appropriate requirement for such a display would be that it is designed to at least approach a similar life-span.
Scott's guest may well have been using outdated #s for the lifetime. I've never seen anyone or any publication quote 20,000, let alone 20,000 to EOL! Frankly I think this number is way out there and totally erroneous.

Most estimates put it at 30,000-50,000 hours until 1/2 brightness.
Ken Ross is offline  
post #13722 of 13737 Old 05-16-2015, 03:19 PM
Advanced Member
 
eaayoung's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 586
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Scott's guest may well have been using outdated #s for the lifetime. I've never seen anyone or any publication quote 20,000, let alone 20,000 to EOL! Frankly I think this number is way out there and totally erroneous.

Most estimates put it at 30,000-50,000 hours until 1/2 brightness.
Time will tell. I've see LG publish lifespan number at 40,000 and even 50,000. I think blue is the color that is the problem. Even if the numbers are that high, still a 55" curved TV made by LG. That's enough to make me look at another brand.
eaayoung is online now  
post #13723 of 13737 Old 05-17-2015, 12:00 AM
Member
 
grilodan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
If buying insurance/warranty extension might I suggest Costco's SquareTrade? It's 3 years additional and only $89. I've had it before and it is as good as these things can go. http://m.costco.com/SquareTrade-3-Years-%28For-TVs-Over-$1,000%29.product.11680336.html
grilodan is offline  
post #13724 of 13737 Old 05-17-2015, 07:35 AM
Senior Member
 
Edllguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 424
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Hello everyone,

Is it is true that our ZT60's when calibrated will drift every 1000 hours? Also, specifically what is drifting?

If so why would I pay $400 to $600 for a ZT calibration when it can't hold its settings for at least 2000 or 3000 hours?

No expert here but would a ZT hold a calibration longer if calibrated, say after 3 to 5 thousands hours on it?


Thanks

Last edited by Edllguy; 05-17-2015 at 07:43 AM. Reason: Structure
Edllguy is offline  
post #13725 of 13737 Old 05-17-2015, 07:53 AM
Advanced Member
 
eaayoung's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 586
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 89
All TVs drift as they age. I had mine calibrated around the 1000 hour mark but picture still looks great at 3000+ hours. I'm sure it drifted but not that I've notice with my eyes.
Edllguy likes this.
eaayoung is online now  
post #13726 of 13737 Old 05-17-2015, 08:09 AM
Member
 
Cloverleaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: London UK
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaayoung View Post
All TVs drift as they age. I had mine calibrated around the 1000 hour mark but picture still looks great at 3000+ hours. I'm sure it drifted but not that I've notice with my eyes.
Yeah it's possible to get a bit OCD about it. While there well be a drift in the numbers on the laptop, it ain't going to be visually significant.
Edllguy likes this.

Panasonic ZT65 (isf calibrated) / Cambridge Audio 752BD / Sky+ HD / Pioneer LX55 / Tannoy Arena 5.1 / Dual CS506 / Rega Mini Fono / Isotek Mira / Antimode 8033 / QED + Audioquest Cables / Virgin Media 50MB Network /
Cloverleaf is offline  
post #13727 of 13737 Old 05-17-2015, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 1,008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edllguy View Post
Hello everyone,

Is it is true that our ZT60's when calibrated will drift every 1000 hours? Also, specifically what is drifting?

If so why would I pay $400 to $600 for a ZT calibration when it can't hold its settings for at least 2000 or 3000 hours?

No expert here but would a ZT hold a calibration longer if calibrated, say after 3 to 5 thousands hours on it?


Thanks
Would you rather enjoy a Plasma that eventually turns reddish/green over time?

Didn't DeWayne not say these VT's which is effectively the same as the ZT. That they are high maintenance beasts…
xvfx is offline  
post #13728 of 13737 Old 05-17-2015, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
cajieboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Space Coast, Florida
Posts: 4,491
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edllguy View Post
Hello everyone,

Is it is true that our ZT60's when calibrated will drift every 1000 hours? Also, specifically what is drifting?

If so why would I pay $400 to $600 for a ZT calibration when it can't hold its settings for at least 2000 or 3000 hours?

No expert here but would a ZT hold a calibration longer if calibrated, say after 3 to 5 thousands hours on it?


Thanks
Many calibrators will offer "touch-ups" at minimal cost to periodically perform once they had made their initial calibration. With my TV usage, I'm gauging roughly 2-years for 5,000 hrs. of operation. Of course this varies w/each individual, but I think I watch a lot of movies, so I figure I'm a bit above average on TV usage. Maybe you could figure a "touch-up" calibration performed every 36 months. The drift might turn out to be so minimal that you could forego the "touch-up" for a longer period. Every panel is a bit different in this regard.
Edllguy likes this.
cajieboy is online now  
post #13729 of 13737 Old 05-17-2015, 10:40 AM
Member
 
RoyMacDonald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Rye East Sussex UK
Posts: 120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloverleaf View Post
Yeah it's possible to get a bit OCD about it. While there well be a drift in the numbers on the laptop, it ain't going to be visually significant.

I had my ZT recalibrated after 1 year which equalled 3,000 hours for me, and I could see a difference. The red phosphors aged less than the other ones so the panel was developing a red bias. I should add that my Lumagen software was updated at the same time to add a far bigger lookup table so that would have added a further enhancement as well.
RoyMacDonald is offline  
post #13730 of 13737 Old Yesterday, 09:05 AM
Member
 
katzman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm still away from home but I called my wife regarding my ZT60 shutting down at start up. TV came back the 19th. I believe she said it was the start up capacitor. Anyway, Only $185, I thought excellent! Then she says he cleaned it inside and out. I say what did he say he used on the screen? WINDEX AND A PAPER TOWEL! I flip out! She says it had streaks! She went and bought some "Plasma Screen Cleaner" that came with a special "plasma screen safe" cleaning spray and micro-cloth. She said the streaks are gone. I told her to look at the screen with the TV off. She says she sees nothing now. I told her I'd told her I'd look when I get home on the 29th. NEXT I CALLED THE REPAIRMAN! He says I have done it this way on all TVs he's cleaned. I say " then you've probably F***ED A LOT OF PLASMA SCREENS! It says right in the manual NOT TO USE ANY TYPE OF glass CLEANER! He gets insulted. He says he's never had a complaint. I say Google it, he says yeah, okay. I end it saying if I get home and find the anti-glare damaged THIS AIN'T OVER! 28 YEARS IN BUSINESS! CHRIST!
katzman is online now  
post #13731 of 13737 Old Yesterday, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member
 
Sonyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Saint Louis. MO
Posts: 595
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Ouch, that is ridiculous!! Keep us posted. Hopefully no damage was caused to the screen. I can only imagine how pissed off I would be.
Sonyboy is online now  
post #13732 of 13737 Old Yesterday, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 1,008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 135
God, paper towels! I'm amazed the streaks are supposedly gone because using them in metal work class in school, damn! They really scratched the metal.
xvfx is offline  
post #13733 of 13737 Old Yesterday, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Chere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,259
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzman View Post
I'm still away from home but I called my wife regarding my ZT60 shutting down at start up. TV came back the 19th. I believe she said it was the start up capacitor. Anyway, Only $185, I thought excellent! Then she says he cleaned it inside and out. I say what did he say he used on the screen? WINDEX AND A PAPER TOWEL! I flip out! She says it had streaks! She went and bought some "Plasma Screen Cleaner" that came with a special "plasma screen safe" cleaning spray and micro-cloth. She said the streaks are gone. I told her to look at the screen with the TV off. She says she sees nothing now. I told her I'd told her I'd look when I get home on the 29th. NEXT I CALLED THE REPAIRMAN! He says I have done it this way on all TVs he's cleaned. I say " then you've probably F***ED A LOT OF PLASMA SCREENS! It says right in the manual NOT TO USE ANY TYPE OF glass CLEANER! He gets insulted. He says he's never had a complaint. I say Google it, he says yeah, okay. I end it saying if I get home and find the anti-glare damaged THIS AIN'T OVER! 28 YEARS IN BUSINESS! CHRIST!
I was dreading something like this when you first mentioned that he was only charging $25. I only hope that he hasn't mucked up anything else
Chere is offline  
post #13734 of 13737 Old Yesterday, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
repete66211's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Kansas City area
Posts: 1,683
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 274
What he did would be fine if the screen was just glass, as CRTs used to be, but you'd think the guy would know plasmas have a screen coating. I wouldn't worry too much about the paper towels. As long as they were wet, he didn't push too hard and there wasn't anything abrasive on the screen then it should be fine. And although Windex does have ammonia, I doubt it's at a concentration strong enough to melt the filter. (The manual doesn't specify that you shouldn't use glass cleaner, just not solvents and thinners.) I hope everything is OK.

repete66211 is online now  
post #13735 of 13737 Old Yesterday, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
markabuckley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,131
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I got 2 large ferrite cores with my ZT60

should I be using them on any of the cables ?

not that I've noticed a problem not using them for last year - just found them the other day
markabuckley is online now  
post #13736 of 13737 Old Today, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
repete66211's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Kansas City area
Posts: 1,683
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 274
My last TV came with ferrite cores. I couldn't tell a difference between when they were on and when they were off, which means my setup didn't produce the sort of signal interference the cores are meant to protect against. So do an A/B comparison. If you notice an improvement in picture then you may want to use them. Do the comparison blinded if you can. Otherwise bias will be introduced.

repete66211 is online now  
post #13737 of 13737 Old Today, 09:10 AM
Member
 
katzman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 10
UPDATE ZT60 SHUTTING DOWN: My wife called me this morning and said the TV is now shutting down and blinking 4 times instead of 3. She said before it shuts down there's a thin line of what she calls colored lightning in the upper left of the screen. I'm still in N.Y. and won't be home until Friday night. Obviously I won't be going back to the last joker.
katzman is online now  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65zt60 65 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60zt60 60 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off