Official ZT60 Owners Thread - Page 463 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 528Likes

Old 08-12-2015, 04:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I have a dilemma deciding between craigslist plasmas.

60ZT60 Asking $2150
65VT60 Asking $2300

Not sure which one to pursue....looking for input. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2015, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFern View Post

60ZT60 Asking $2150
65VT60 Asking $2300

Is your viewing area controlled lighting? If it were me, the 65" VT wins on size, being just $150 more than the ZT.
Old 08-12-2015, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead View Post
Is your viewing area controlled lighting? If it were me, the 65" VT wins on size, being just $150 more than the ZT.
Yes, this will be my basement so the lighting is controlled. I've heard some people say the filters and materials used on the ZT give it superior image retention reduction compared to the VT60. I do notice that I have image retention on my existing 55" VT60 when using my media player and PS4. Also, I have a floating mount off of my TV stand and its only 32" across and I am not sure the mounting screw holes are spaced less than 32" so that might make me look at the 60".

Is it documented anywhere online how far the mounting holes are apart for the 55" , 60" and 65" VT60/ZT60? Is it standardized?
Old 08-12-2015, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Yes, this will be my basement so the lighting is controlled. I've heard some people say the filters and materials used on the ZT give it superior image retention reduction compared to the VT60. I do notice that I have image retention on my existing 55" VT60 when using my media player and PS4. Also, I have a floating mount off of my TV stand and its only 32" across and I am not sure the mounting screw holes are spaced less than 32" so that might make me look at the 60".

Is it documented anywhere online how far the mounting holes are apart for the 55" , 60" and 65" VT60/ZT60? Is it standardized?
Can't answer the mounting hole question unfortunately. I have the ZT, but those extra 5" really adds to the immersiveness of the display, IMHO
Old 08-12-2015, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead View Post
Can't answer the mounting hole question unfortunately. I have the ZT, but those extra 5" really adds to the immersiveness of the display, IMHO
Yeah, my plan is to move the 55" VT60 up to the family room and to put the 60" ZT60 in the home theater. I agree completely with you, the 55" mounted hanging just doesn't feel big enoughon my TV stand and mount.
Old 08-13-2015, 02:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:

believe they are standardized - simply check Panasonic web site for manuals

http://shop.panasonic.com/support-only/TC-P60VT60.html
ScottFern likes this.

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 - Oppo BDP-103D - Panasonic DMP-BDT220 - Toshiba HD-DVD-3A - OPPO DV-981HD - Harmony 880
Onkyo TX-NR809 --- Definitive Technology - Studio Monitor 65 (2) - CS8040HD - Studio Monitor 45 (2) - Super Cube 6000
Old 08-13-2015, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Yes, this will be my basement so the lighting is controlled. I've heard some people say the filters and materials used on the ZT give it superior image retention reduction compared to the VT60. I do notice that I have image retention on my existing 55" VT60 when using my media player and PS4.
My recollection is there is no difference in the panels for the ZT60 and VT60 with regards to factors that would control IR. And, there also seems to be a randomness regarding which ZT60s are more prone to it than others, and perhaps even on how and where it will appear when it is present. A ZT is not a panacea for IR, but you could get lucky.

I'd go for the bigger screen myself, but also I'd want to see the set in action if it was a used one. Pesky IR could be why it's being sold...
ScottFern likes this.
Old 08-13-2015, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob brennan View Post
believe they are standardized - simply check Panasonic web site for manuals

http://shop.panasonic.com/support-only/TC-P60VT60.html
I was able to see from the manual the distance between the holes on the 65" VT60 but there is no reference if the TV stand and bracket are the same for the 55" and 60" or 65".

I realize this is a long shot but is anyone willing to sell me their stand bracket piece and screws for the 55" VT60/ZT60?
Old 08-13-2015, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Quote:

60ZT60 Asking $2150
65VT60 Asking $2300

I'd get the larger TV. The ZT and VT have the same panel, so there's no difference in terms of IR. The only difference is the anti-reflection filter. The ZT's is better, but that only comes into play if you have ambient lighting. And additionally, the filter itself may contribute to lower light output. So if it's a dark room, go with the VT.
ScottFern, Edllguy and Sonyboy like this.

Old 08-15-2015, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Got a call from ABC Warehouse offering an extended warranty on my ZT and S60. The rep says that is offered in case "the plasma gas runs out or leaks out." I ask her if she is kidding me and she replies that she has heard of people crying and moaning because the "plasma gas" has run out and they can't get it replenish. I stifle a snark and tell her to have a nice day. I told a friend of mine about the call and she told me that when she got the early Pioneer PureVision 5030, the salesman from Circuit City told her that they would have to come out and plant yellow warning flags around the house warning people of the radiation hazard coming from the display! Frightened, she called Pioneer, who debunked the salesman, got $2000 off the cost of the Panel and a free wall bracket. The tech may be dead, but the ignorance continues.
Latinoheat and Spock1234 like this.
Old 08-15-2015, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquastar View Post
Got a call from ABC Warehouse offering an extended warranty on my ZT and S60. The rep says that is offered in case "the plasma gas runs out or leaks out." I ask her if she is kidding me and she replies that she has heard of people crying and moaning because the "plasma gas" has run out and they can't get it replenish. I stifle a snark and tell her to have a nice day. I told a friend of mine about the call and she told me that when she got the early Pioneer PureVision 5030, the salesman from Circuit City told her that they would have to come out and plant yellow warning flags around the house warning people of the radiation hazard coming from the display! Frightened, she called Pioneer, who debunked the salesman, got $2000 off the cost of the Panel and a free wall bracket. The tech may be dead, but the ignorance continues.
Wish you had asked if that could be repaired. I'm sure she would've said yes.
Old 08-15-2015, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
That's too funny! Unbelievable.
Edllguy and xvfx like this.
Old 08-17-2015, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1153 Post(s)
Liked: 1164
Quote:
That is hysterical !!

55EG9100 calibrated by Chad_B
55ST60
Time Warner Cable/Oppo 103d/ Sony XT1 Soundbase/Harmony 650
Calman Enthusiast/Chromapure Standard with Auto Cal
My JS9500 Calibration review(CHADB)http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...l#post36534866
Old 08-18-2015, 06:49 AM

It just reaffirms the mind that Plasma TV has always had stereotypes against it. Hell, my first model was a PIO 920HD. Sold it to my nephew a few years ago and its still going strong. My KURO 5020 is 6 yrs old and fully functional. I expect no trouble from my Pannys (fingers crossed). Certainly no loss of "plasma gas".
Old 08-18-2015, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by suge967mari View Post
Back when i had the ZT all it needed for me was a pure black and i would have kept it be because it was one hell of a tv.

I got rid went through most LG oleds still something was missing. Then got s9c samsung oled and boy its a top notch tv.
In some ways it acts so much more like a plasma then LG oled does. Lg oled acts like lcd.

Brilliant tv with pure blacks

The ZT next to the ea9800 lg oled did very well except for pure black which it cant do.
Such a old tech plasma was keeping up to the new oled tech.
I have owned both ea9800 and s9c, compared them side by side and returned s9c. Ea9800 is the best tv one can ever buy beating s9c as well.

Quote:
Samsung S9C
"Our findings conclusively debunk the notion that OLED can’t do accurate colours, though full credit must go to Samsung’s engineering team."

LG 55EA9800
"... Rec. 709 colour space, which the 55EA980 did without any fuss."

Also, F8500 have outscored s9c and zt is known to be better than f8500. So ZT is also better than s9c.

Old 08-26-2015, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 18
The zt still shows a picture that you can put in your cinema room.
The only alternative would be a samsung oled but that is hard to find.
Edllguy likes this.
Old 09-01-2015, 11:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Is there a preferred wall mount for the ZT-60 ?
Old 09-01-2015, 11:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by suge967mari View Post
The zt still shows a picture that you can put in your cinema room. The only alternative would be a samsung oled but that is hard to find.
I didn't know Samsung made any OLEDs -- yet.
Old 09-02-2015, 05:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipsPhanatic View Post
I didn't know Samsung made any OLEDs -- yet.
I think your correct. I recall Samsung stated back in 2014 they wouldn't be rolling out OLED in 2015 due to difficulties manufacturing the panels. Samsung stated they planned to focus on their 4K LED UHD displays instead of OLED.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member

And now we hear Panasonic has introduced their OLED panel! Now it gets interesting.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:03 AM

But it's curved! Noooooooooooooo
Old 09-03-2015, 07:27 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I am also disappointed that the new Panasonic OLED has a curved screen. I really don't understand why people like to watch distorted video. I hope that the curved screens are just a passing fad!
Old 09-04-2015, 03:33 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scandy View Post
I am also disappointed that the new Panasonic OLED has a curved screen. I really don't understand why people like to watch distorted video. I hope that the curved screens are just a passing fad!

Luckily the curve is very subtle.

But I also some kind of hate the curve...

Happy Panasonic ST60 50inch owner
Old 09-04-2015, 05:13 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaayoung View Post
Broke the Toslink flap on my ZT yesterday when moving equipment around. Found a suggestion of gluing a right angle Toslink adapter into the port. Hopefully it will work. Should work out better than what I was using since the Toslink port is on the side of the ZT.

Really dislike the Toslink connections. I've broken the flaps before and I'm sure this won't be the last Toslink flap that I break.
Are you able to take a picture of it please?

I'm curious as to what the damage looks like.

The reason I ask is I've come across a ZT60 for sale, very low hours but it has damage to the digital audio out (optical port).

The thing is it's not just the flap part, it's actually taken a chunk of the plastic away on the port (not just the flap). so I'm concerned that some force was used to do that damage.

Might sound silly but could that have any effect on the panel? I'm a little ocd and paranoid and I'd be worried about maybe some damage done internally due to the force or something.

I was hoping to see what your port looks like to get an idea of whether the damage is similar to the one I'm looking at purchasing to see if the damage is "normal" for simply removing the cable, or whether the one I'm potentially buying has been overly forced.

Thanks

P.S as a general question to anyone reading, would a broken optical port put anyone off a potential purchase if everything else appears ok, no panel separation, low hours etc?

I checked uniformity and it was excellent, the VT60 I had suffered from vertical banding, and the LG 55EC9300 I have currently has awful uniformity. Also to be honest I think the ZT produces a better image than the LG so I'm super keen, just in two minds about the damaged port

Last edited by Jay AVF; 09-04-2015 at 07:04 AM.
Old 09-04-2015, 05:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay AVF View Post
Are you able to take a picture of it please?

I'm curious as to what the damage looks like.

The reason I ask is I've come across a ZT60 for sale, very low hours but it has damage to the digital audio out (optical port).

The thing is it's not just the flap part, it's actually taken a chunk of the plastic away on the port (not just the flap). so I'm concerned that some force was used to do that damage.

Might sound silly but could that have any effect on the panel? I'm a little ocd and paranoid and I'd be worried about maybe some damage done internally due to the force or something.

I was hoping to see what your port looks like to get an idea of whether the damage is similar to the one I'm looking at purchasing to see if the damage is "normal" for simply removing the cable, or whether the one I'm potentially buying has been overly forced.

Thanks

P.S as a general question to anyone reading, would a broken optical port put anyone off a potential purchase if everything else appears ok, no pane speration, low hours etc?

I checked uniformity and it was excellent, the VT60 I had suffered from vertical banding, and the LG 55EC9300 I have currently has awful uniformity. Also to be honest I think the ZT produces a better image than the LG so I'm super keen, just in two minds about the damaged port
Took a picture but you can't tell what's damaged unfortunately. Only damage on mine is to the flap. It broke off so the cable won't stay attached when plugged in. This is not the first flap I've broken either. Very common problem from what I've read. Currently have the cable taped in position. Optical connection works fine other than that problem.

Suggest you plug an optical cable into the connection. If the light travels the cable to the other end then it should be ok. You could always test the connection with equipment that can use the optical connection, like a soundbar.

I would be shocked if the damage is more than just the flap. The optical connection is pretty fragile. If you can tape the optical cable into the port to make it work, then you could glue a 90 degree optical plug into position. You can buy the 90 degree optical plugs on Amazon for cheap. I think mine was around $5.00.

Last edited by eaayoung; 09-04-2015 at 05:52 AM.
Old 09-04-2015, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Took a picture but you can't tell what's damaged unfortunately. Only damage on mine is to the flap. It broke off so the cable won't stay attached when plugged in. This is not the first flap I've broken either. Very common problem from what I've read. Currently have the cable taped in position. Optical connection works fine other than that problem.

Suggest you plug an optical cable into the connection. If the light travels the cable to the other end then it should be ok. You could always test the connection with equipment that can use the optical connection, like a soundbar.

I would be shocked if the damage is more than just the flap. The optical connection is pretty fragile. If you can tape the optical cable into the port to make it work, then you could glue a 90 degree optical plug into position. You can buy the 90 degree optical plugs on Amazon for cheap. I think mine was around $5.00.
Thanks for the reply,

Here are images to show what sort of damage has been done. I can understand the flap being damaged under "normal" use like what you've done, but this damage would require some serious force, and incorrect removal or have I got it wrong?? It's actually taken a chunk of the port away

I'm in two minds as I really want to buy it as they're very hard to come by, but just overly paranoid about the damage.

Last edited by Jay AVF; 09-04-2015 at 06:49 AM.
Old 09-04-2015, 06:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay AVF View Post
Thanks for the reply,

Here are images to show what sort of damage has been done. I can understand the flap being damaged under "normal" use like what you've done, but this damage would require some serious force, and incorrect removal or have I got it wrong?? It's actually taken a chunk of the port away

I'm in two minds as I really want to buy it as they're very hard to come by, but just overly paranoid about the damage.

The condition of your Toslink connection looks similar to mine. But, the bottom of the connection looks slightly different. That may be where the flap is attached. When mine broke, the entire flap came out so I'm not sure which side of the port the flap is attached. The flap is important since that is what helps hold the cable in position. Without the flap, the cable won't stay in the correct position.

Does the Toslink port light up when the TV is powered up? If so, it's probably fine. Mine still works, but I have the cable taped in position. I was planning to hot glue a right angle connection into the port this weekend for a more permanent fix. But the tape is working fine.

Send a PM with an email address and I'll send photos of my Toslink port. I can't upload photos on the forum.
Jay AVF likes this.
Old 09-04-2015, 06:58 PM

Quote:

Does the Toslink port light up when the TV is powered up? If so, it's probably fine. Mine still works, but I have the cable taped in position. I was planning to hot glue a right angle connection into the port this weekend for a more permanent fix. But the tape is working fine.

Send a PM with an email address and I'll send photos of my Toslink port. I can't upload photos on the forum.
Yes it still lights up red when the TV is powered on.

I'll pm you my email address now, many thanks.

I've since been scouring eBay and managed to find a main board and I'm tempted to maybe fit that so my ocd will be restored
Old 09-04-2015, 08:29 PM
Advanced Member

Just sent them to you.
Jay AVF likes this.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Motion problems?

Hi guys, I have a 65" ZT60 and mostly use Roku and Plex with it.

Recently I went to my brother in laws home who has a Samsung plasma. Its no a top of the line model either, but I was impressed by the motion. It was smooth as butter and didn't hurt my eyes. The ZT60 on the otherhand isn't smooth. Im not sure if other people have the problem or is it just my Roku or what. I have tried everything, changed hdmi cables, changed settings from THX to Cnet to Dnice settings. I have tried Appletv instead of Roku.. It still happens, is it so called judder??

Just wanted some opinions is my TV still the best, or should I sell it now?

Thanks
MM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65zt60 65 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60zt60 60 Inch Plasma Tv