Official ZT60 Owners Thread - Page 466 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 524Likes

Old 12-09-2015, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddTX View Post
Anyone know if we will ever get an update to the firmware, or apps on the TV?
Panasonic knows. But odds are about a million to one since it's been a year or two since they bothered at all with the set, and probably no coincidence that that was before their plasma engineering team was disbanded.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2015, 07:52 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddTX View Post
Anyone know if we will ever get an update to the firmware, or apps on the TV?
Since the TV (and all Plasmas) were discontinued, I seriously doubt that Panasonic would spend any time or money on a discontinued product.

If there was a critical issue it might be possible, but since there aren't any, I would say chances of an update are very close to zero.
Old 12-11-2015, 08:11 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Is anyone else having issues with green blobs, vertical banding, and/or a strange green tinge to the picture? I've got all three of these on my zt60 and was wondering if any of them can be repaired. What causes the banding? Also, the green tint could be a lack of other colors being as intense as they should be. Smh.I've had the zt60 for barely 2 years. It's nuts for the high price we paid for this to occur.
Old 12-12-2015, 03:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by superman1213 View Post
Is anyone else having issues with green blobs, vertical banding, and/or a strange green tinge to the picture? I've got all three of these on my zt60 and was wondering if any of them can be repaired. What causes the banding? Also, the green tint could be a lack of other colors being as intense as they should be. Smh.I've had the zt60 for barely 2 years. It's nuts for the high price we paid for this to occur.
have you gone into the MENU-HELP-SELF TEST and see what comes up? Done a reset?

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 - Oppo BDP-103D - Panasonic DMP-BDT220 - Toshiba HD-DVD-3A - OPPO DV-981HD - Harmony 880
Onkyo TX-NR809 --- Definitive Technology - Studio Monitor 65 (2) - CS8040HD - Studio Monitor 45 (2) - Super Cube 6000
Old 12-12-2015, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob brennan View Post
have you gone into the MENU-HELP-SELF TEST and see what comes up? Done a reset?
Yes, I've done both. It's so weird. The blobs started about a year ago and weren't that bad so I let it go, but thanksgiving this year the bands started appearing and the blobs expanded. After this the whole picture is slightly miscolored and just strange compared to how it had been for the past two years.

I can't tell if it's a push in green or a lack of intensity in red possibly. I just know it's not right all of a sudden.

Last edited by superman1213; 12-12-2015 at 06:37 AM.
Old 12-12-2015, 09:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I am thinking about taking another spin at doing a calibration on my ZT and am curious if any more recent consensus has been made on the best window size / apl patterns to use for this set? Last go around I just used the small AVS Windows. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 12-12-2015, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 769 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:
Yes, I've done both. It's so weird. The blobs started about a year ago and weren't that bad so I let it go, but thanksgiving this year the bands started appearing and the blobs expanded. After this the whole picture is slightly miscolored and just strange compared to how it had been for the past two years.

I can't tell if it's a push in green or a lack of intensity in red possibly. I just know it's not right all of a sudden.
I've never owned a ZT60 but I went through three ST60s and all of them had bad uniformity (one with as little as 600 hours on the panel. Green blob in the center of the image. Very visible in content showing sky etc.

Home Theater: Sony 40ES, Panamorph Phoenix, Yamaha RX-V673, NHT Super Ones/Zeroes w/Ten Sub,
Sony BDP-S5500, Lumagen Radiance Mini 3D, Darbee Darblet and Monoprice 130 inch 2.35:1 White Material Screen
Living room: Sony 60NX720, VIZIO SB4051-C0 Other: Epson 2040 , Samsung 51F8500
Displays calibrated with HCFR, i1DisplayPro, and Colormunki Photo.
Old 12-13-2015, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjodotcom View Post
I am thinking about taking another spin at doing a calibration on my ZT and am curious if any more recent consensus has been made on the best window size / apl patterns to use for this set? Last go around I just used the small AVS Windows. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
I get the best results with the Small AVS APL Windows with my ZT.

Bob
Old 12-13-2015, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjimsey View Post
I get the best results with the Small AVS APL Windows with my ZT.

Bob
Ok - I'll give that a shot. I used standard Windows before. Isn't there some debate on in APL windows make sense or not? I also have a GCD disk but never tried it.
Old 12-13-2015, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjodotcom View Post
Ok - I'll give that a shot. I used standard Windows before. Isn't there some debate on in APL windows make sense or not? I also have a GCD disk but never tried it.
Yes, some. Actually post calibration comparing the 2 the gamma curves are quite similar. I settled on the APL Small ones based on comparison viewing after. Lately I have been using the Mobileforge app and Apple TV as it's much easier running auto cal with Calman that way. With the MF app I set the patterns with a 2% window and 5% APL. Using any larger Windows flattens out the cal at about 30 ftl due to ABL and ends up with a rather flat looking image. With the MF app at 2% it comes in at about 35ftl with a much punchier image. I target BT1886 for nighttime viewing and 2.2 for daytime.

Hope this helps. Of course YMMV

Bob
Old 12-13-2015, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjimsey View Post
Yes, some. Actually post calibration comparing the 2 the gamma curves are quite similar. I settled on the APL Small ones based on comparison viewing after. Lately I have been using the Mobileforge app and Apple TV as it's much easier running auto cal with Calman that way. With the MF app I set the patterns with a 2% window and 5% APL. Using any larger Windows flattens out the cal at about 30 ftl due to ABL and ends up with a rather flat looking image. With the MF app at 2% it comes in at about 35ftl with a much punchier image. I target BT1886 for nighttime viewing and 2.2 for daytime.

Hope this helps. Of course YMMV

Bob
Interesting - I haven't even heard of the mobileforge app and have an Apple TV so I'll have to check it out! Do I need to download separate patterns as well or is it already roped into calmans SW? Also, how far away do you put the meter for such small patterns?

So you have had decent luck with the auto calibration via Calman? I tried it once but recall having to touch most settings still anyways...I've got version 5.2.

Last edited by mjodotcom; 12-13-2015 at 02:46 PM.
Old 12-14-2015, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Does anyone know the answers to these questions:

Do the USB ports on the TC-P60ZT60 support 4TB drives?

Do the USB ports support external drives with GPT partitions?

What is the largest supported external drive?

I cannot find answers and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with any of this or can tell me where to find this info.
Old 12-14-2015, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scandy View Post
Does anyone know the answers to these questions:

Do the USB ports on the TC-P60ZT60 support 4TB drives?

Do the USB ports support external drives with GPT partitions?

What is the largest supported external drive?

I cannot find answers and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with any of this or can tell me where to find this info.
I have a few powered external drives and tried them on my vt60. The 2TB works fine but anything larger won't work. The larger drives use a large address block size and the tv's of the time aren't up to date to match. I can't answer the GPT question.
Old 12-14-2015, 07:40 PM

What would you say could cause the colors on a ZT60 to no longer appear accurate? They aren't majorly off, but the picture is suddenly greener than it has been up until now. Reds appear lighter as well. This indludes menu screens on the tv. Could it be a board or is it more likely the panel itself?
Old 12-14-2015, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
What would you say could cause the colors on a ZT60 to no longer appear accurate? They aren't majorly off, but the picture is suddenly greener than it has been up until now. Reds appear lighter as well. This indludes menu screens on the tv. Could it be a board or is it more likely the panel itself?
Hard to say, but maybe you/somebody changed one or more of the tv settings. I recall some found THX Cinema to have a greenish tinge to it on their sets. (Not the case for mine, though colors were perhaps a little bit off.) Have you checked your settings to see if they somehow got changed? (I remember I had to muck about to restore some settings the one time I tried out the iPad app...)

--

For me, I sometimes wonder if it's one of the boards that give me my annoying purplish (white noise looking) haze on the bottom of the screen rather than the panel itself. (And I know the Geeks would have no idea what to do about it anyway, except maybe make it worse, so I just sort of live with it.) I do recall something funny happening really early on when the set was new and I was running the slides, a few hours in... that's about the point where things seemed to start acting a little funny down there.
Old 12-14-2015, 07:57 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
If you have not got it pro calibrated your missing out IMO. I have a VT60 with 6500 hours and Chad B comes out once a year to keep it spot on. Well worth the money to me.
Old 12-15-2015, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merccrazy View Post
If you have not got it pro calibrated your missing out IMO. I have a VT60 with 6500 hours and Chad B comes out once a year to keep it spot on. Well worth the money to me.
Yeah, I had it calibrated. I triple checked all the settings, reset it, etc. No matter what I do it has a tint that I've never had on it before. Yellows are now almost neonish. It's definitely nothing that I can fix as a consumer. I've tried messing with the settings and no matter what, it's not showing correctly. 2 years of awesome then, suddenly inaccurate. God I hope it's a board.
Old 12-15-2015, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1148 Post(s)
Liked: 1156
Quote:
Yeah, I had it calibrated. I triple checked all the settings, reset it, etc. No matter what I do it has a tint that I've never had on it before. Yellows are now almost neonish. It's definitely nothing that I can fix as a consumer. I've tried messing with the settings and no matter what, it's not showing correctly. 2 years of awesome then, suddenly inaccurate. God I hope it's a board.

Sets drift, Panasonics tend to drift towards red in the greyscale. You just need a tune-up, most calibrators don't charge the full fee for that.

55EG9100 calibrated by Chad_B
55ST60
Time Warner Cable/Oppo 103d/ Sony XT1 Soundbase/Harmony 650
Calman Enthusiast/Chromapure Standard with Auto Cal
My JS9500 Calibration review(CHADB)http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...l#post36534866
Old 12-26-2015, 09:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Anyone else having trouble with the Amazon app not updating "new releases"? The last new movies my sets have listed are, "Inside Out", "Trainwreck", and "Ted 2". Connectivity is good, as I'm able to stream from amazon, and I can also see new releases by searching (e.g. "Sicario"), just not via the pre-set lists.

I believe the Amazon app was updated recently got our devices...hate to think the set won't get app updates, even if firmware will no longer move forward.
Old 12-27-2015, 04:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by colnago View Post
Anyone else having trouble with the Amazon app not updating "new releases"? The last new movies my sets have listed are, "Inside Out", "Trainwreck", and "Ted 2". Connectivity is good, as I'm able to stream from amazon, and I can also see new releases by searching (e.g. "Sicario"), just not via the pre-set lists.

I believe the Amazon app was updated recently got our devices...hate to think the set won't get app updates, even if firmware will no longer move forward.
I am not getting any app update since a long time on my zt60. Some apps no longer work, like the CNET for example. I guess Panasonic is kind of dead in US, tv-wise.

I was so happy without HDR...
Old 12-27-2015, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli View Post
I am not getting any app update since a long time on my zt60. Some apps no longer work, like the CNET for example. I guess Panasonic is kind of dead in US, tv-wise.

I also noticed some new PPV new Movies on Amazon like The Martian not showing up on my apps, luckily I check on my computer pretty regularly.
Old 12-30-2015, 08:56 PM

Follow up from previous post: Well, I had a calibration done by best buy...disaster. never again. don't get me started. Horrible pq afterwards. I put my settings back to how I had them before they came.

So I spent the next several days trying to figure out what exactly was going on with my picture quality, then it clicked: the voltage is what's causing my loss of brightness and inaccurate colors.

My question is this, can a variance from normal voltage cause loss of brightness and inaccurate colors but a rise in black level? Sounds weird I know, but my ZT has lost a ton of brightness AND had a rise in black level at the same time. I can also see faint red sparkles on a dark screen as well if I'm right up on the display. Thoughts?
Old 12-31-2015, 01:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:

My question is this, can a variance from normal voltage cause loss of brightness and inaccurate colors but a rise in black level? Sounds weird I know, but my ZT has lost a ton of brightness AND had a rise in black level at the same time. I can also see faint red sparkles on a dark screen as well if I'm right up on the display. Thoughts?

What's your panel luminance setting?
Old 12-31-2015, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxo View Post
What's your panel luminance setting?
It's at panel brightness: mid. I've been using the cnet settings for two years and I'm very accustomed to how the panel has looked for me this whole time. All scenes now look like they take place in the afternoon or evening.

Obviously as the panel ages there will be a loss of brightness, but not all of a sudden and it shouldn't be accompanied by rising black levels. (At least I don't think it should).

I used to be able to turn on the set without any input and not hardly be able to see that it was on, not the case anymore. This was a sudden change about a month ago.

Last edited by superman1213; 12-31-2015 at 06:37 AM.
Old 01-01-2016, 01:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It's at panel brightness: mid. I've been using the cnet settings for two years and I'm very accustomed to how the panel has looked for me this whole time. All scenes now look like they take place in the afternoon or evening.

Obviously as the panel ages there will be a loss of brightness, but not all of a sudden and it shouldn't be accompanied by rising black levels. (At least I don't think it should).

I used to be able to turn on the set without any input and not hardly be able to see that it was on, not the case anymore. This was a sudden change about a month ago.
What you're describing is somethat that, as far as I am aware, has not been reported before.

I didn't mean to be patronizing when asking about the luminance setting. These sets have a simply enormous number of settings/modes etc. and I know from experience that it's not impossible to accidentally have a setting at the wrong value.

Hence my question about the luminance setting - it is known that when set to low it causes some of the symptoms you have described (but not necesarily all). It also, IIRC, defaults to "low" in some modes if you reset them back to factory values. Another dodgy setting would be the ambient light sensor setting, but I'm going to assume you have turned that off.

In which case, it's a bit of a mystery. Conceivably voltage levels could have something to do with this, but it is, I would have thought, a huge guess. The only way to know for sure would be to have someone open it up and use meters and oscilloscopes to check. That would be a last resort, I should think.

You could run the set's internal diagnostics. That is much simpler, in that you can do it yourself with a few button presses, but I'd be surprised if it found anything.

You could, if you have not already done so, reset to factory settings and re-install firmware if that is possible. Again, I am risking being patronizing here because I do not know what you have done. If so, I apologize for that.

It is a bit of an awkward one, by the sound of it.
Old 01-01-2016, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxo View Post
What you're describing is somethat that, as far as I am aware, has not been reported before.

I didn't mean to be patronizing when asking about the luminance setting. These sets have a simply enormous number of settings/modes etc. and I know from experience that it's not impossible to accidentally have a setting at the wrong value.

Hence my question about the luminance setting - it is known that when set to low it causes some of the symptoms you have described (but not necesarily all). It also, IIRC, defaults to "low" in some modes if you reset them back to factory values. Another dodgy setting would be the ambient light sensor setting, but I'm going to assume you have turned that off.

In which case, it's a bit of a mystery. Conceivably voltage levels could have something to do with this, but it is, I would have thought, a huge guess. The only way to know for sure would be to have someone open it up and use meters and oscilloscopes to check. That would be a last resort, I should think.

You could run the set's internal diagnostics. That is much simpler, in that you can do it yourself with a few button presses, but I'd be surprised if it found anything.

You could, if you have not already done so, reset to factory settings and re-install firmware if that is possible. Again, I am risking being patronizing here because I do not know what you have done. If so, I apologize for that.

It is a bit of an awkward one, by the sound of it.
Thanks for replying. If I came off hostile, I apologize. As you could imagine, I'm a little OCD and this issue's getting the better of me.

I've done the factory reset, but I'm unsure how to run a diagnostic and even more unsure how to read whatever data it would find (unless it's just obvious)

My best guess is that it has to do with the power supply or voltage and/or the main board.

The rising black level actually reminds me of what some were experiencing a few years ago with their panny plasmas. I never saw any of those sets, but we seem to be describing similar issues.

I could probably live with all of the issues except for the colors being slightly off. Yellows being the ones that seem the strangest. They seem predominantly green/neonish when, for about 4200 hours, they were spot on.
Old 01-01-2016, 08:34 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Thanks for replying. If I came off hostile, I apologize. As you could imagine, I'm a little OCD and this issue's getting the better of me.

I've done the factory reset, but I'm unsure how to run a diagnostic and even more unsure how to read whatever data it would find (unless it's just obvious)

My best guess is that it has to do with the power supply or voltage and/or the main board.

The rising black level actually reminds me of what some were experiencing a few years ago with their panny plasmas. I never saw any of those sets, but we seem to be describing similar issues.

I could probably live with all of the issues except for the colors being slightly off. Yellows being the ones that seem the strangest. They seem predominantly green/neonish when, for about 4200 hours, they were spot on.

I don't think that any ZT could hold a spot on calibration for 4200 hours. It ages and changes colour the whole time. Slowly enough so you don't notice probably but hour by hour day by day it will be changing. I've had a second calibration done at the one year interval and will have another done when it's 2 years old. The reds had aged more than the others at the second calibration.
Edllguy likes this.
Old 01-01-2016, 11:23 PM
Advanced Member

Someone mentioned a while back that a technique had been found to enable better ZT calibration with panel luminance high. Could anyone provide a link, please? I've had difficulty finding the specifics.

Thank you.
Old 01-02-2016, 09:30 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have a 60"ZT60. My wife watches Amazon streaming and suddenly every movie has captions on the bottom. I went into the TV menus and as always the closed caption is off. I don't know how to get into the Amazon menu to shut it off. She was "pushing menu bottons" on the TV due to a sudden burry picture, and tried to change the format. I wasn't home, this is why guys try to loock all settings or say "DON'T PLAY WITH THE CONTROLS!" Any tips?
Old 01-02-2016, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzman View Post
I have a 60"ZT60. My wife watches Amazon streaming and suddenly every movie has captions on the bottom. I went into the TV menus and as always the closed caption is off. I don't know how to get into the Amazon menu to shut it off. She was "pushing menu bottons" on the TV due to a sudden burry picture, and tried to change the format. I wasn't home, this is why guys try to loock all settings or say "DON'T PLAY WITH THE CONTROLS!" Any tips?
Sounds like it's from the streaming device, ie.Roku, Amazon Fire Stick, or the app you're using to stream. Just a guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65zt60 65 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60zt60 60 Inch Plasma Tv