Official ZT60 Owners Thread - Page 475 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 528Likes

Old 03-12-2016, 06:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerdubs View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman23 View Post
Thank you! Yeah looking over it seems like a no brainer to do.

That's what I thought as well, but I had mine laying on it's face when I removed and reinstalled it.

I can see where having a shop monkey do the job, unsupervised and paid by the hour- with the TV vertical, 'hang' the cover and slap screws into it. Which certainly can cause problems.
Interesting? Should I lay it on its front to reinstall the back on properly too? If I did try to do it I was thinking of just doing it while its on its stand. How much did you tighten the screws? Just until snug or really a good tightening? Also I know you got yours used as did I. Did you have any screen seperation at any of the corners? I got a little at the bottom right corner but I guess it's a common thing.

Thanks!
Ronnie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2016, 10:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Interesting? Should I lay it on its front to reinstall the back on properly too? If I did try to do it I was thinking of just doing it while its on its stand. How much did you tighten the screws? Just until snug or really a good tightening? Also I know you got yours used as did I. Did you have any screen seperation at any of the corners? I got a little at the bottom right corner but I guess it's a common thing.

Thanks!
Ronnie
If you do it, don't move the TV with the back removed since it can damage the panel. If I was doing it, I would lay it flat on the floor over a padded surface. You could probably do it on the stand. But with the TV mounted on the stand, you'll still get some movement since the stand tends to wobble a bit. The question, is that movement enough to damage the panel? Who knows. I'm cautious and wouldn't the chance. More work but safer.

Last edited by eaayoung; 03-12-2016 at 10:21 PM.
Old 03-13-2016, 08:29 AM

"If you do it, don't move the TV with the back removed since it can damage the panel. If I was doing it, I would lay it flat on the floor over a padded surface. You could probably do it on the stand. But with the TV mounted on the stand, you'll still get some movement since the stand tends to wobble a bit. The question, is that movement enough to damage the panel? Who knows. I'm cautious and wouldn't the chance. More work but safer.[/QUOTE]"

Ok I'll keep that in mind as an option. I can see my wife flipping out trying to help me bring it to the floor! Lol! I may just loosen the ones around the one bump first to see if I can gently push the back cover back into the groove. Thinking it should just be able to snap up into place if I remove the tension from some of the screws. Then if that doesn't work I guess I'll have to remove more screws or worst case the whole back cover. Just hate to remove the whole thing for one little bump.
Old 03-13-2016, 09:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
"If you do it, don't move the TV with the back removed since it can damage the panel. If I was doing it, I would lay it flat on the floor over a padded surface. You could probably do it on the stand. But with the TV mounted on the stand, you'll still get some movement since the stand tends to wobble a bit. The question, is that movement enough to damage the panel? Who knows. I'm cautious and wouldn't the chance. More work but safer.
"

Ok I'll keep that in mind as an option. I can see my wife flipping out trying to help me bring it to the floor! Lol! I may just loosen the ones around the one bump first to see if I can gently push the back cover back into the groove. Thinking it should just be able to snap up into place if I remove the tension from some of the screws. Then if that doesn't work I guess I'll have to remove more screws or worst case the whole back cover. Just hate to remove the whole thing for one little bump.[/QUOTE]DO NO HARM - in my opinion do it right or don't do it at all - for every action a reaction - push here, what there - why don't you just leave it alone!! If it's working fine don't try to fix it.

PS: What do you accomplish by "fixing" this? TV works better/ picture improvement? Maybe you are like me and just can't leave things alone - spent to much of my life saying "Gee maybe I should have just left it alone"!!

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 - Oppo BDP-103D - Panasonic DMP-BDT220 - Toshiba HD-DVD-3A - OPPO DV-981HD - Harmony 880
Onkyo TX-NR809 --- Definitive Technology - Studio Monitor 65 (2) - CS8040HD - Studio Monitor 45 (2) - Super Cube 6000
Old 03-13-2016, 09:27 AM

Good point Bob! And I haven't really considered doing it yet. I was just feeling out what everybody else has done and what not. You're totally right......screen is not microfractured so why mess with it. It doesn't make the picture and will not make the picture any better. I'm totally like you where if something is wrong or sticking out then I need to fix it and make it perfect. Lol! I need to get to where you're at right now......if it's not broke don't fix it.
Old 03-13-2016, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 56
When this issue first came up, the original poster noticed a slight separation along the top right corner, correct? Left? Now it's the bottom right. This is where mine is and I never noticed it. My ZT60 is an August 2013 build. As others have said it doesn't effect picture quality in the least bit and I am going to ignore it. Late July or August of 2013 was when Panasonic made corrections for dealing with the fan noise problem. Maybe that was a consequence of dealing with it. Dose anybody prior to July have any separation issues at all? Just curious.
Old 03-13-2016, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquastar View Post
When this issue first came up, the original poster noticed a slight separation along the top right corner, correct? Left? Now it's the bottom right. This is where mine is and I never noticed it. My ZT60 is an August 2013 build. As others have said it doesn't effect picture quality in the least bit and I am going to ignore it. Late July or August of 2013 was when Panasonic made corrections for dealing with the fan noise problem. Maybe that was a consequence of dealing with it. Dose anybody prior to July have any separation issues at all? Just curious.
Yeah I question that too! Mine is a May of 2013 build date. Maybe by them pulling the back panel off and reinstalling improperly, it also caused the panel seperation? Cuz my seperation is in the same area that the back panel is bubbled out. The rest of the back panel was perfectly seated into the groove so there wasn't any seperation in this areas. This could very well be linked.
Old 03-13-2016, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Still enjoying my 65ZT60 purchased Oct 13. My current time reads:

C9857-00000

Anyone else REALLY curious what happens at 10,000 hours?

Bob
Sonyboy likes this.
Old 03-13-2016, 02:01 PM

Update!!!! So I addressed the one area where there was a little bubble on the back panel where it was not sitting in the groove correctly. I loosened up the 2 screws in that area so there could be some play in the back panel. I then gently slid my fingers applying pressure and pushed on the bubbles and they instantly snapped back into place into the groove. Almost like when a vertebrae is out of alignment and the chiropractor gives you an adjustment to put it back in place. Hear a little pop! Checked the screen and there wasn't any micro fractures at all. It's in perfect condition. Also while I was in that area I put some krazy glue on a very thin butter knife and gently slid the glue up into the area where there was the front panel seperation. My wife and I took turns holding it down for about 10 minutes. Let it go and to my delight the front glass panel stayed glued down to the bezel and looks reattached. Now this was just at the very bottom front right corner so it wasn't any where near the glass plasma behind it. I wouldn't have done this if it was any where near the back plasma glass. Got a little goop from the glue on the metal bezel but it's hardly noticeable. Rather have a little goop and have the front glass panel stay down flush with the bezel than have a little glass edge sticking up. Anyhow I'm super happy now and am now ready to enjoy my beautiful ZT! Only thing left to do is have Chad B come out and calibrate it and that's scheduled for late April or early May.
Sonyboy likes this.
Old 03-13-2016, 06:32 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Once chad comes out to you, I would appreciate it if you could post or email me your results so I can compare to mine. Thanks.
Old 03-13-2016, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:
Update!!!! So I addressed the one area where there was a little bubble on the back panel where it was not sitting in the groove correctly. I loosened up the 2 screws in that area so there could be some play in the back panel. I then gently slid my fingers applying pressure and pushed on the bubbles and they instantly snapped back into place into the groove. Almost like when a vertebrae is out of alignment and the chiropractor gives you an adjustment to put it back in place. Hear a little pop! Checked the screen and there wasn't any micro fractures at all. It's in perfect condition. Also while I was in that area I put some krazy glue on a very thin butter knife and gently slid the glue up into the area where there was the front panel seperation. My wife and I took turns holding it down for about 10 minutes. Let it go and to my delight the front glass panel stayed glued down to the bezel and looks reattached. Now this was just at the very bottom front right corner so it wasn't any where near the glass plasma behind it. I wouldn't have done this if it was any where near the back plasma glass. Got a little goop from the glue on the metal bezel but it's hardly noticeable. Rather have a little goop and have the front glass panel stay down flush with the bezel than have a little glass edge sticking up. Anyhow I'm super happy now and am now ready to enjoy my beautiful ZT! Only thing left to do is have Chad B come out and calibrate it and that's scheduled for late April or early May.
Superman23 likes this.
Old 03-14-2016, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Once chad comes out to you, I would appreciate it if you could post or email me your results so I can compare to mine. Thanks.
For sure! I will gladly share my calibration results. I'll post them right away after he's finished. Probably 5 weeks out though cuz he's on the west coast right now.
Old 03-14-2016, 02:12 PM

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Does the calibration make a big difference? I've got a couple of VT60's I've considered calibrating, but it's not exactly a small chunk of change.
Old 03-14-2016, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B T C View Post
Does the calibration make a big difference? I've got a couple of VT60's I've considered calibrating, but it's not exactly a small chunk of change.
I've always had all my tvs calibrated by the Best Buy geek squad guys and it was like night and day. I can totally tell a difference. This will be the first time I use a calibrator (Chad B) off of the AVS forum but Im sure he'll be way better than Best Buy. Best Buy was only out at my house for 1 1/2 but Chad B estimates 3-4 hours so you know he's more thorough. Wish I didn't have to wait until late April. Lol!
Old 03-14-2016, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Hi All,

I'm looking for some advice. I think my ZT was just damaged by a thunderstorm. It will not turn on.

Here is how it happened: Was watching the TV and the storm started. There was a lightning strike a long ways away (took a couple seconds for the thunder to come). But the screen went momentarily pink coincident with the lightning flash. Picture went back to normal and I continued to watch for a couple minutes. Decided I should turn it off until the storm passed. After a half hour I tried to turn it on and I got nothing. There is no little red light on the bottom bezel and I can't hear the fans. I tried using the physical On/Off button on the side, still nothing. All my other equipment is fine: Cable box, blu-ray player, and receiver all come on.

So do I call the Panasonic number on the cover of the owners manual? Or google for a Panasonic repair shop in my area? Or call Best Buy where I bought it (in July of 2013)?

Any other advice appreciated. Or if anyone has a similar experience and were able to get it fixed, it would lift my spirits. I'm pretty bummed out.

Thanks,
Sooke

Panasonic TC-P60ZT60 plasma panel
Sony BDP-S5500 Blu-ray player
Arris DCX3600-M DVR
Yamaha RX-V650 AVR
XBox One
URC MX-780 remote control
Old 03-14-2016, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by sooke View Post
Hi All,

I'm looking for some advice. I think my ZT was just damaged by a thunderstorm. It will not turn on.

Here is how it happened: Was watching the TV and the storm started. There was a lightning strike a long ways away (took a couple seconds for the thunder to come). But the screen went momentarily pink coincident with the lightning flash. Picture went back to normal and I continued to watch for a couple minutes. Decided I should turn it off until the storm passed. After a half hour I tried to turn it on and I got nothing. There is no little red light on the bottom bezel and I can't hear the fans. I tried using the physical On/Off button on the side, still nothing. All my other equipment is fine: Cable box, blu-ray player, and receiver all come on.

So do I call the Panasonic number on the cover of the owners manual? Or google for a Panasonic repair shop in my area? Or call Best Buy where I bought it (in July of 2013)?

Any other advice appreciated. Or if anyone has a similar experience and were able to get it fixed, it would lift my spirits. I'm pretty bummed out.

Thanks,
Sooke
Try to let it unplug it for 30 minutes and plug back. f doesn't work, try to clean up the fans with a blow dryer (COLD) OR a cleaning duster.

I was so happy without HDR...

Last edited by slimoli; 03-14-2016 at 09:08 PM.
Old 03-15-2016, 05:44 AM
Advanced Member

Was the set plugged into a surge control? If so, bypass and also make sure a circuit didn't trip. Usually when lightning damage occurs, you'll have more than one item damaged.
Old 03-15-2016, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B T C View Post

Yes, not cheap- but neither are these TV's, so might as well get the best out of them.

Here was my results- Official ZT60 Owners Thread
Old 03-15-2016, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaayoung View Post
Was the set plugged into a surge control? If so, bypass and also make sure a circuit didn't trip. Usually when lightning damage occurs, you'll have more than one item damaged.
Yep, was plugged into a surge suppressor. I tried swapping to another socket on the suppressor, thinking that one got fried, but that didn't fix it. All other devices plugged into the suppressor seem to be functioning fine.

Arris DCX3600-M DVR
Yamaha RX-V650 AVR
XBox One
Old 03-15-2016, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Yes, not cheap- but neither are these TV's, so might as well get the best out of them.

Here was my results- Official ZT60 Owners Thread
I had looked at your results, but really had no idea how to interpret them. After looking more closely, they make more sense. Having said that, I have no idea how perceptible those improvements may be while viewing content.

I don't even know whether this is to be expected, but did your black levels improve as a result of the calibration?
Old 03-15-2016, 04:26 PM

Chad would be able to tell you the specifics as most of it is greek to me. The biggest change (and most important in my opinion) is everything is naturally colored now and nothing is over-saturated.
Old 03-15-2016, 04:49 PM
Advanced Member

The calibration I had done by Chad was my first. No question my blacks looked deeper. The change is subtle but noticeable. Even my wife noticed the difference and felt the calibration was worth it. Highly recommend.
Old 03-18-2016, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

A repair technician came out to my house yesterday and determined the power filter board and the power supply board got fried by the lightning (see my post a few days back). He'll install next week when they come in. Hope it works.

In the meantime, anyone have recommendations for a new surge suppressor? What do you guys use?

Also, is there any kind of brown out or sag protection device I could buy?

Thanks for any advice.

Arris DCX3600-M DVR
Yamaha RX-V650 AVR
XBox One
Old 03-18-2016, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxo View Post
There are some possibilities to consider if you wish to try to get the TV working like a regular retail model, which seems to be your preference.

Firstly, you can get the 65" A board and it seems you have one on order. It may work - in the sense that the TV powers on a produces a picture with no warning messages - or it may not. It's possible, e.g., that the board will detect it is in the wrong TV and not work. On the other hand, it may be that there is very little actual difference between the boards for the 60" and 65" and the boards may be interchangeable. However, you should be cautious. Even if the TV does appear to operate correctly, the 60" and 65" models may have slightly different cell geometry which would necessitate the use of colour tracking tables specific to each of those particular sizes. Or there may be other differences. I don't think the 65" A board is likely to blow the 60" model up, but still I would be cautious about using the wrong board for that size.

Secondly, you can get the fans to work. For me this is by far the cheapest and most straightforward option. There is a sort of extension lead the fans connect to that goes to the A board. If you could obtain the correct one for the 60" model (it's only some wires and a connector), then that will suffice to connect the left and right fans. We know that regular ZTs in this size come with two fans so that is a configuration that I would hope would work. My only reservation would be that there might be something unusual about your ZT that means an extra fan is required. In which case, you could do the above and connect up the two fans and then find a way of connecting the 3rd. If you go this route then, to my mind, you will end up with the closest equivalent to a regular 60" ZT. Moreover, you won't have to replace the A board again, an operation that comes with a certain amount of risk.

You might wish to look at this thread, where people are experimenting with fans on their VT60s.

Once again, if you could supply me with the service manual/technical guide mentioned in the thread above, I would be very grateful. I'm fascinated by how these things work and am always keen to extend my knowledge.

Good luck and do take care, especially with any ribbon connectors.

PS:

Picture modes for the US ZT60 from page 36 of the eHelp document here:

Vivid
Standard
Home Theater
THX Cinema
THX Bright Room
THX3D Cinema
EBU
Cinema
Custom
Professional 1
Professional 2
Hi Everyone! So I'm trying to manually adjust my settings until Chad B comes out next month. While in the Picture Mode Menu I notice that I have all of the above Picture Mode options except for Professional 1 and Professional 2. The last one available that I have that's at the bottom of the list is Custom. Am I missing something here or are the Professional 1 and Professional 2 options in another area? This is weird cuz they should be in Picture Mode correct? Or the above quote could be wrong? Please let me know your thoughts when you can.

Ronnie

Panasonic Viera TC-P65ZT60 (Calibrated by Chad B)
Panasonic Viera TC-P65VT30
PlayStation 4 - PlayStation 3 - Nintendo WiiU
Old 03-18-2016, 08:29 AM

Quote:
A repair technician came out to my house yesterday and determined the power filter board and the power supply board got fried by the lightning (see my post a few days back). He'll install next week when they come in. Hope it works.

In the meantime, anyone have recommendations for a new surge suppressor? What do you guys use?

Also, is there any kind of brown out or sag protection device I could buy?

Thanks for any advice.

A new power filter board and power supply board doesn't sound too bad at all! Yes an inconvenience for sure but replace the 2 boards and you're up and running and back in business! How much were the 2 boards? Not sure what kind of surge suppressor to use but I am now going to definitely research into getting a new and better one. The one I have is like $50 and I'm sure it's just basic quality and probably wouldn't protect much. It'll be interesting to see what everyone else on here recommends for surge suppressors.

Keep us posted on the repairs when they're completed next week!

Ronnie

Old 03-18-2016, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Hi Everyone! So I'm trying to manually adjust my settings until Chad B comes out next month. While in the Picture Mode Menu I notice that I have all of the above Picture Mode options except for Professional 1 and Professional 2. The last one available that I have that's at the bottom of the list is Custom. Am I missing something here or are the Professional 1 and Professional 2 options in another area? This is weird cuz they should be in Picture Mode correct? Or the above quote could be wrong? Please let me know your thoughts when you can.

Ronnie
MENU-SETUP-turn PROFESSIONAL MODE to ON and you will get it.

I was so happy without HDR...
Old 03-18-2016, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
A new power filter board and power supply board doesn't sound too bad at all! Yes an inconvenience for sure but replace the 2 boards and you're up and running and back in business! How much were the 2 boards? Not sure what kind of surge suppressor to use but I am now going to definitely research into getting a new and better one. The one I have is like $50 and I'm sure it's just basic quality and probably wouldn't protect much. It'll be interesting to see what everyone else on here recommends for surge suppressors.

Keep us posted on the repairs when they're completed next week!

Ronnie
One was about $160 and the other about $180. The repair shop told me that was below retail. I have no idea. Labor will be about $140, which includes yesterdays work to troubleshoot the problem. No idea if these are good prices, but if ~$500 gets my ZT back I'll pay it. OLED is just not affordable for me yet.

As for surge suppressors, I just decided to go ahead based on my own research. Still interested in what others do. Here is what I just ordered:
http://www.tripplite.com/home-comput...~TLP1008TELTV/

Ordered from amazon for $30.

Went by this review:
http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-surge-protector/
Spock1234 likes this.

Arris DCX3600-M DVR
Yamaha RX-V650 AVR
XBox One
Old 03-18-2016, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

One additional comment about my repair experience so far: Thanks to avsforum I was aware of the need to be careful when re-attaching the back panel on a ZT. In a nutshell, if not seated properly when re-attached, it puts stress on the glass leading to de-lamination of the anti glare filter. I noticed my back panel wasn't seated correctly when the first screw went in. I pointed it out and explained the danger to the repair guy so he fixed it right away. Thank you avsforum!!
Sonyboy likes this.

Arris DCX3600-M DVR
Yamaha RX-V650 AVR
XBox One
Old 03-18-2016, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli View Post
MENU-SETUP-turn PROFESSIONAL MODE to ON and you will get it.
Sweet! Thank you so much! Cant wait to go home and turn the Professional Mode to On so I can see what everyone else is seeing. Started thinking that there was something wrong with mine. LOL!

Old 03-18-2016, 10:41 AM

Quote:
One was about $160 and the other about $180. The repair shop told me that was below retail. I have no idea. Labor will be about $140, which includes yesterdays work to troubleshoot the problem. No idea if these are good prices, but if ~$500 gets my ZT back I'll pay it. OLED is just not affordable for me yet.

As for surge suppressors, I just decided to go ahead based on my own research. Still interested in what others do. Here is what I just ordered:
http://www.tripplite.com/home-comput...~TLP1008TELTV/

Ordered from amazon for $30.

Went by this review:
http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-surge-protector/
Those prices don't sound bad at all! I would do the same thing and repair it especially if everything out the door is $500 or so. Honestly I just don't think OLED is quite up to the ZT60 performance yet so I think you made the right choice to repair the ZT. The ZT handles motion a lot better than the OLED's. OLED's still have a lot of judder.

Thanks for the Surge Protector Link!

Ronnie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65zt60 65 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60zt60 60 Inch Plasma Tv