AVS Forum banner
1M views 15K replies 796 participants last post by  fmalczewski 
#1 ·
Well mine is arriving in less than 30 hours and no one has started the thread so I figure I might as well go ahead and do it!

Welcome to the official owners thread for the Panasonic ZT60.

Lets see some pictures from the early owners and initial thoughts.

Reactions: Here2Learn
#9,681 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxion  /t/1474480/official-zt60-owners-thread/9660#post_24395396

I know chad was commenting that calibrators use different techniques. Maybe jeff uses a different method that ends up with a high contrast number. Or maybe those panels just happen to have such a variance that needed those numbers.

I think that there is some truth to that.

I also think that the users environment and preferences will have an effect on the outcome.

I also think that no two plasmas are alike.

Dave

#9,682 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxion  /t/1474480/official-zt60-owners-thread/9660#post_24395096

Have you bothered to check out some contrast test patterns after the cal? Or was he targeting very high light output?
I got the Disney WoW disc last week and ran through some of the basic patterns--contrast, brightness, sharpness, etc.--and everything looked good. I think he was trying to counter the 30FL.

#9,683 ·
Hi everyone,

Got my 65ZT60 about a month ago. Up to about 200 hours now. Spent all this time reading through this thread. Can't tell how many ups and downs...lol...do I have microfractures...is the screen gonna fall off??!! Such drama!

Anyway...love mine! No problems at all so far. Didn't run slides or anything..just kept my content varied. I'm coming from a 10 year old JVC RPTV which I loved. But it was finally time. Moved my old Oppo up converter upstairs and finally went blu ray with a Panasonic BDT 500. Done a lot of netflix streaming but finally tonight popped in my first BD....Avitar. OMG!!! I'm blown away. The colors or so vibrant an the blacks so deep. It's just friggin beautiful! I'm set at THX cinema mode. Once hours come up I may pop for a real calibration. Best part is I rolled the bones on it back in December when it was only $2799 on amazon. Very happy with it...hope to get a decade out of it just like my old JVC.

#9,686 ·
Might be alot of variables but i like the picture from the kuro in those images. The blacks seem darker and the zt looks little washed out in comparison. Could be down to focusing on his camera and/or his settings. One is calibrated if i remember, or a hundred other variables. What camera is that?

Actually im wrong, blacks look the same, its the imrpoved shadow detail the zt offers lol. I still like the darker image though.

Checking out pacific rim now due to you guys raving about it. Amazing picture, terrible film, you guys owe me 10 bucks.

#9,687 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxion  /t/1474480/official-zt60-owners-thread/9660#post_24395804

Might be alot of variables but i like the picture from the kuro in those images. The blacks seem darker and the zt looks little washed out in comparison. Could be down to focusing on his camera and/or his settings. One is calibrated if i remember, or a hundred other variables. What camera is that?

Actually im wrong, blacks look the same, its the imrpoved shadow detail the zt offers lol. I still like the darker image though.

Checking out pacific rim now due to you guys raving about it. Amazing picture, terrible film, you guys owe me 10 bucks.

Yes Pacific Rim is a great BR for demo picture and sound!

Horrendous movie, bad acting, bad story, boring
Godzilla meets Robocop cheeseeeeee

#9,688 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wse  /t/1474480/official-zt60-owners-thread/9680_10#post_24395909

Yes Pacific Rim is a great BR for demo picture and sound!

Horrendous movie, bad acting, bad story, boring
Godzilla meets Robocop cheeseeeeee
Ya i really hate the cliche where they pull the traumatized guy out of retirement, first hes reluctant then comes back, because hes the only one that can.....save the world.....

And why do they have to be inside the robots? The dont have wireless??

And where are the nukes?? You have to punch godzillas to death?

#9,690 ·

Hello everyone! Newbie here...

After 20+ yrs. watching a old console, I purchased a 60ZT60 about a month ago because the ST's and VT's were sold out. I've been quite careful during "break-in" (about 175 hrs. now) not to allow the black bars (I zoom them out) or station logos for any length of time and have the Disney WOW to help me calibrate it after 200 or so. I haven't used any slides, just watched "normal" programming and I have not experienced any IR whatsoever, but after reading some of the recent posts, I am starting to get concerned about it because to me, $2200 for a TV was a serious investment and will probably be the last one I buy in my lifetime. There is no question this TV has the best picture of any TV I have ever seen, and seems to be getting better as it breaks in. So, should IR or burn-in be a concern? Should it be a concern in the future? Any advice or recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

#9,692 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfool  /t/1474480/official-zt60-owners-thread/9660#post_24396768

After 20+ yrs. watching a old console, I purchased a 60ZT60 about a month ago because the ST's and VT's were sold out. I've been quite careful during "break-in" (about 175 hrs. now) not to allow the black bars (I zoom them out) or station logos for any length of time and have the Disney WOW to help me calibrate it after 200 or so. I haven't used any slides, just watched "normal" programming and I have not experienced any IR whatsoever, but after reading some of the recent posts, I am starting to get concerned about it because to me, $2200 for a TV was a serious investment and will probably be the last one I buy in my lifetime. There is no question this TV has the best picture of any TV I have ever seen, and seems to be getting better as it breaks in. So, should IR or burn-in be a concern? Should it be a concern in the future? Any advice or recommendations will be greatly appreciated.
You will likely get temporary IR quite often, but should not be a problem as long as your content varies. And you can't really get burn-in unless you watch nothing but movies with letterbox bars or the same channel logo on 24/7. I am at 412 hours on my vt60 and any IR I get is gone within a few seconds. The Fox logo was gone in about a minute after having it on for 4 hours straight. I imagine this is how it should go for the zt60 as well or any modern plasma display.

#9,693 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfool  /t/1474480/official-zt60-owners-thread/9660#post_24396768

So, should IR or burn-in be a concern? Should it be a concern in the future? Any advice or recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

IR seems to become a problem if you game. I've got 400 hours on mine and have never noticed any IR on my ZT. But, I don;'t game and watch varied content. Black bars..., don't even worry about it.

#9,694 ·
How bad does everyone notice the "dithering" on this TV. Overall, I love the picture and sit far enough that I don't really notice it. The display has been calibrated as well. BUT... it can be very visible as I am walking by or up close, especially on certain darker or shadowy scenes. I have never noticed that on my previous 2 Panny plasmas. Is it the filter that makes it so visible on this display?

From the Plasma VT 60 Help guide: If you see something that looks like little dots moving all around your TV when you are up close, this is called dithering and is normal for plasma's. It will be stronger when the TV is new and will get better with usage. Also certain settings can also improve this.

Does everyone see this (especially up close) or is there a way to minimize it or make it less noticeable.

#9,695 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musky45  /t/1474480/official-zt60-owners-thread/9690#post_24396909

I agree Oldfool- I am one too.  Just got mine, 21 hours and am waiting to see how it goes after break in.  

Question- do all of out there have your cable source in native resolution-- all my contents except BR comes in 1080i.

Lastime I checked almost no one is broadcasting in 1080p.

I'm no techie, so I don't understand all the technical hurdles involved, but only your Blu-ray source, Netflix, and maybe game consoles will actually give you a 1080p signal.

So, the "hi-def" broadcasts are usually 720p or 1080i.

Makes me skeptical about 4K. If they can''t even broadcast 1080p then when would 4K broadcasts be available except maybe on BDXL discs?

So, relating to the ZT60…we'll be Ok for awhile.

Reactions: jliedeka
#9,696 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musky45  /t/1474480/official-zt60-owners-thread/9690#post_24396909

I agree Oldfool- I am one too.  Just got mine, 21 hours and am waiting to see how it goes after break in.  

Question- do all of out there have your cable source in native resolution-- all my contents except BR comes in 1080i.

Yes - set to box "native, pass through, direct, ect" and allow the ZT to scale & deinterlace.

FOX, ESPN, ABC all come in 720P

#9,697 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cidsou  /t/1474480/official-zt60-owners-thread/9690_10#post_24397255

How bad does everyone notice the "dithering" on this TV. Overall, I love the picture and sit far enough that I don't really notice it. The display has been calibrated as well. BUT... it can be very visible as I am walking by or up close, especially on certain darker or shadowy scenes. I have never noticed that on my previous 2 Panny plasmas. Is it the filter that makes it so visible on this display?

From the Plasma VT 60 Help guide: If you see something that looks like little dots moving all around your TV when you are up close, this is called dithering and is normal for plasma's. It will be stronger when the TV is new and will get better with usage. Also certain settings can also improve this.

Does everyone see this (especially up close) or is there a way to minimize it or make it less noticeable.
I notice it when i use bright room calibrated mode and im in a dark room, and the scene is very dark/shadowy. If i use the correct mode it is viewable on certain movies, and others not so much. But not as bad as my bright mode. Pacific rim was pretty grainy, maybe it was part of the movie. Playing a pixar movie should tell you whats going on.

Id say if its an issue at your viewing position, adjust your settings. Get disney wow (has tons of those pixer like demos scenes) to help you adjust it all. All plasmas in my experience have dithering. Atleast the ones i have owned. Some worse then others. Some people like the grain.

Didnt read your post 100%,

You have it calibrated. You either are using the wrong mode. Your set has bad dithering, your not at the right viewing distance when your seeing it, your sensitive to dithering, or your calibrator didnt set it correctly.

#9,698 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cidsou  /t/1474480/official-zt60-owners-thread/9690#post_24397255

How bad does everyone notice the "dithering" on this TV. Overall, I love the picture and sit far enough that I don't really notice it. The display has been calibrated as well. BUT... it can be very visible as I am walking by or up close, especially on certain darker or shadowy scenes.

Walk faster.

#9,699 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cidsou  /t/1474480/official-zt60-owners-thread/9690#post_24397255

You just have to stop doing this.

Reactions: andrewread
#9,700 ·

Another question on resolution:

Contacted Centurylink Prism- they said the cable box can only be set to 720p or 1080i, had to be set on one or the other.  No native or pass thru settings.  Bummer.  Does this sound right to you guys?  I may try to call and get another teck.  When I had Direct, you could set it to all.

Which would be better to have it set to?  Also, my SD feeds are now showing black bars on R & L side of screen.  Is this right?  Also on some movie networks- i e showtime-- some are letterbox-- is this correct.  Did not seem to notice this on old Panasonic.

Appreciate your help!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.