Official ZT60 Owners Thread - Page 490 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 528Likes

post #14671 of 14689 Old 08-17-2016, 07:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyboy View Post
I've considered doing what you did a few times and I just can't bring myself to do it. I know Oled pushes the envelope a little further, but I'm too satisfied with my ZT. I looked at the C6 and E6. Where did you purchase your Oled from?
Bought it at Best Buy when they were on sale last week. Been running it side by side with the ZT. It's definitely superior to the ZT overall. In normal lighting it's brighter and holds black better. In a dark room, the absolute black is striking. I notched the tint control to plus 4 green and the colors are incredibly close to matching the calibrated ZT. The LG requires a bit of motion smoothing though. Film judder is more noticeable on it, partly due to it being bigger. I'm glad to know there is now a worthy successor to our plasma, as I find LCD sets have way too many issues for my taste. The OLED is more like a closer to perfect plasma. Now if they actually hold up over time.
Sonyboy, cockatiel and Superman23 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14672 of 14689 Old 08-17-2016, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Good to hear you are enjoying it so far! I bet it is very impressive in a dark room.
post #14673 of 14689 Old 08-17-2016, 10:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1864 Post(s)
Liked: 1497
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanBuck View Post
After now setting the ZT up next to the OLED, I am happy with its motion judder vs the plasma. Judder at 2 makes it on par with the plasma. The big reason I notice it more on the OLED is the bigger screen size. 1080 24 judders a lot, and the bigger the screen the more you notice it, assuming equal distance to screen.
Yes, I had the 65" ZT60 so I already went through the size shock. The motion might take some tinkering from one source to the next, but you can get a pretty equitable motion performance with a little effort. The zero blacks (no more phosphor glow), lower power consumption (and subsequent diminished room heating, which is important in the desert), and IR resistance are heavenly. The only caveat on my set is a slight uniformity anomaly that puts it one step below the ZT60. As Superman23 has stated, though, even his ZT60 has its own patch of DSE, so the stars have to be aligned just right to get that (near) perfect panel.
post #14674 of 14689 Old 08-18-2016, 07:25 AM

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by video_analysis View Post
Yes, I had the 65" ZT60 so I already went through the size shock. The motion might take some tinkering from one source to the next, but you can get a pretty equitable motion performance with a little effort. The zero blacks (no more phosphor glow), lower power consumption (and subsequent diminished room heating, which is important in the desert), and IR resistance are heavenly. The only caveat on my set is a slight uniformity anomaly that puts it one step below the ZT60. As Superman23 has stated, though, even his ZT60 has its own patch of DSE, so the stars have to be aligned just right to get that (near) perfect panel.
Very true Video! Sometimes it's like a crap shoot getting that perfect screen that has a 100% uniformity! LOL! I was upset about it for a while but now I'm kinda like..........oh well eventually I'm going to get an OLED anyways.

Panasonic Viera TC-P65ZT60 (Calibrated by Chad B)
Panasonic Viera TC-P65VT30
PlayStation 4 - PlayStation 3 - Nintendo WiiU
post #14675 of 14689 Old 08-20-2016, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by video_analysis View Post
I have a ZT60 that I purchased used in November 2014 complete in box. Compared to the LG OLED how much better is it? They seem very expensive to purchase the OLED. When comparing these 2 side by side is there a major difference (WOW factor)?
post #14676 of 14689 Old 08-20-2016, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1864 Post(s)
Liked: 1497
Yes, zero blacks give you an image with a more 3-dimensional look. It makes for a more striking image when you have both dark and brighter content on screen It is very expensive (a G6, so you can save a bundle with a B6), but I am hoping to get 5 years of satisfaction out of it. I didn't compare this one side-by-side with a ZT60 but did so with an 55EA9800 (first LG OLED) in 2014, and the contrast differences were even apparent then.
post #14677 of 14689 Old 09-09-2016, 09:25 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have always noticed that in very dark scenes, the blacks sometimes look as though there is halo-ing effect in them (almost like lighter rings of black) around the very dark scenes. My panel was calibrated a couple years ago, but I have always noticed them. Just curious if anyone else has seen issues in very dark scenes. I don't know if this would be considered "banding" because the effect seems to surround a dark area, not across the whole screen.

It began to really bother me lately and I was curious if anyone else has experienced this or if there is a solution.
post #14678 of 14689 Old 09-10-2016, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hello zt60 owners

I'd like to ask you stateside owners if any of you know of ways to get the P60ZT65B on this side of the pond without it killing the bank.

If that question can't be answered, maybe some of you know how to get the composite input removed/replaced with an RGB SCART input?

i'm coming from a professional TH-50PF11UK unit, and was looking to get the best plasma I can, professional or consumer, that can support RGB SCART and 3D sources with the lowest input lag.

thanks all!
post #14679 of 14689 Old 09-16-2016, 05:06 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by cidsou View Post
I have always noticed that in very dark scenes, the blacks sometimes look as though there is halo-ing effect in them (almost like lighter rings of black) around the very dark scenes. My panel was calibrated a couple years ago, but I have always noticed them. Just curious if anyone else has seen issues in very dark scenes. I don't know if this would be considered "banding" because the effect seems to surround a dark area, not across the whole screen.

It began to really bother me lately and I was curious if anyone else has experienced this or if there is a solution.
What's the source material? I notice banding/contouring on streamed content and some DVDs but not on blu-rays and OTA broadcasts. I don't have cable/sat but have noticed the same on friends' tvs depending on the provider.

Symmetry is the most boring and unimaginative form of balance.
post #14680 of 14689 Old 09-17-2016, 06:05 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dajmacd View Post
What's the source material? I notice banding/contouring on streamed content and some DVDs but not on blu-rays and OTA broadcasts. I don't have cable/sat but have noticed the same on friends' tvs depending on the provider.

Its mostly from shows in HD on cable (Comcast). I don't really watch Blu-rays on it so almost all viewed content is via cable or streaming. I thought about the source as being the problem, but this is my third Panasonic plasma and never noticed it on the other panels.
post #14681 of 14689 Old 09-17-2016, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman23 View Post
When you guys are watching a BluRay Disk do you set the 1080p/24 at the default 60Hz setting or do you up it to 96Hz? I've been fooling around with both and really don't see any difference. CNET recommends the 96Hz mode on the ZT60 and VT60 as they state that 96Hz is essentially free of flicker. CNET also states that in 60Hz mode the set engages the characteristic 3:2 pull-down cadence, which introduces a slight halting stutter compared with the smoother (but not too smooth) motion of correct 24p cadence. Just curious as to what the ZT60 & VT60 people prefer?
96Hz with motion on the “weak” setting. In my experience it provides the smoothest 1080P/24Hz viewing experience. I have my OPPO blu ray player set to output source direct and color space to 4:4:4. Looks fantastic.
post #14682 of 14689 Old 09-28-2016, 08:33 PM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 35
zt60 for sale (non working)

all,

i posted on this forum a while ago about my zt60 dying in a thunderstorm. the set powers on, but nothing ever actually appears on screen. tv set itself (exterior) in perfect condition including panel.

but there is something wrong internally that is disabling the tv from displaying anything when set powers on.

i am selling this sucker for parts or to anyone who wants to pick ip up from where I live in WV and wants to try and fix it for themselves.

Please PM if you are interested. This offer ends Friday at 3 pm.
post #14683 of 14689 Old 10-02-2016, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Firmware Update 2.885 less black

Hey Guys,
I have a ZT60 and never updated the screen from the day I bought it. I just updated to the 2.885 and noticed that I cannot get the screen dark all the way. I forget what firmware was on the tv, but it had to probably be the one installed on the TV from the factory. I could have sworn that if the TV had no input signal and was basically just sitting there on, you could not tell. The screen was as black as the border surrounding the tv.
I remember I really didn't mess with the screen settings a lot once I broke it in.
I have tried CNET and D-Nice settings to the T and I cannot get the screen as dark as before. It's almost like the update has increased the blacklighting on the screen (for lack of a better term!)
Am I nuts or have you guys found this to be the case?
I have tried installing an older firmware version that I found using a usb drive, but the TV wont let me. I get the following error:
“Please check FILE in the SD Card (0004)"
according to a panasonic document that error message is because:
The software will detect whether the TV has the latest firmware version. If it does, it will display the message
So any ideas on what I am screwing up, I hope it's just a setting I'm missing.
Or any ideas on how to rollback the firmware?

Thanks!

Jerry
post #14684 of 14689 Old 10-06-2016, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 16
When I installed the firmware update on my 60ZT60 I did not notice any changes to the TV. Nothing changed. The firmware update was supposedly 'to improve network functions', so it should not affect the video at all. I have not seen anyone else complain that the new firmware harmed their TV. Maybe what happened to your TV was a coincidence?
post #14685 of 14689 Old 10-06-2016, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scandy View Post
When I installed the firmware update on my 60ZT60 I did not notice any changes to the TV. Nothing changed. The firmware update was supposedly 'to improve network functions', so it should not affect the video at all. I have not seen anyone else complain that the new firmware harmed their TV. Maybe what happened to your TV was a coincidence?
Thanks for the reply, I have played around with the settings and everyone at home thinks that I have been over-reacting. I guess I just lost all my settings with the firmware updated and needed to play with it a bit more. Now the screen looks pretty darn good.

Thanks again for the reply!
Jerry
post #14686 of 14689 Old 10-06-2016, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 16
That is good to hear!
post #14687 of 14689 Old 11-01-2016, 03:38 PM

Flashing horizontal lines?

I believe I'm getting some sort of failure on my ZT60. I'm seeing short horizontal flashes on the set. I haven't tested all sources yet, but at least two are doing this on different inputs, so I don't think it's a cable issue.

These can be any color - I've noticed white, yellow, and green - there may be others. It looks like it's a single pixel or so tall, but can be several inches horizontally. They only last a second at a time.

Does anyone have experience with this? Should I be calling a repairman or ripping the system apart and recabling this weekend?

Thanks, Cary
post #14688 of 14689 Old 11-02-2016, 11:29 AM

Flashing horizontal lines?

I did a bit more testing last night, and this is definitely happening on all three inputs with separate HDMI cables. Any ideas, or a pointer to someplace other Panasonic support as a resource? Thanks.
post #14689 of 14689 Old 11-02-2016, 11:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cary Stegall View Post
I believe I'm getting some sort of failure on my ZT60. I'm seeing short horizontal flashes on the set. I haven't tested all sources yet, but at least two are doing this on different inputs, so I don't think it's a cable issue.

These can be any color - I've noticed white, yellow, and green - there may be others. It looks like it's a single pixel or so tall, but can be several inches horizontally. They only last a second at a time.

Does anyone have experience with this? Should I be calling a repairman or ripping the system apart and recabling this weekend?

Thanks, Cary
Obviously start by re-plugging the hdmi cables at both ends (with components powered off is safe way to do it), pull each connecting end out and put it right back in, maybe a few times. If cables are hanging loose, gravity may have contributed to a loose connection, so tie the cables down somehow to alleviate stress on the connection. If that makes no difference, try different cables.

Swapping cables around might help to isolate which connections/connectors/cables are at issue.

Otherwise, yeah probably time to call the repairman.

---

I think I might have had this a few times, but just pulling out and plugging back in the cable was all that seemed to be needed in my case. Blu-ray player was acting up a bit at the time I think it was, no problem since (knock on wood).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65zt60 65 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60zt60 60 Inch Plasma Tv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page