post #1981 of 12669 Old 07-26-2013, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurajDas2013 View Post

Just got mine delivered this morning. Had to leave for work but my friend and I will unbox and assemble it on the stand when I get home. Really broke the bank on this purchase; had originally purchased a Sony 70" LED but was so sorely disappointed by the pic quality that I upgraded to the ZT60, 65" model. Terrified of image retention, fan buzz, and all the other problems described here. Hopefully I will be free of all those issues. Also, my friend who is really in to calibration says I should run color slides for 200 hours. On these forums, the consensus seems to be that this is unnecessary... I'm sure this has been discussed at length but can someone who did the slides comment on the pros or cons of doing them? Excited to watch The Dark Knight on this thing tonight if all goes well!
The purpose of the color slides is to prepare the unit for calibration. They rapidly age the until to "settle down" the phosphors to a stable point so the calibration settings will maintain a good picture. Most plasmas are usually at the stable point after 100-150 hours of use but the pro calibrators have recommended 300 hours of "break in" for the ZT. However, if you're not getting it pro calibrated you don't need to run slides and all you should worry about is watching full screen content. That doesn't mean you can't calibrate it yourself right now and then again in a few hundred hours after the picture has stabilized.

All that said, you don' t need to do anything. The TV is ready to go right out of the box. There are a lot of OCD geeks on AVS (myself included) take a sound theory and extrapolate it to extremes. In the ~200 hours on mine I've watched plenty of letter box, pillar box and fixed-logo content without any issues.
SurajDas2013 likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1982 of 12669 Old 07-26-2013, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by badabing View Post

Congrats! ..... Quick question for you (or any owners on here) about the ZT60. I was wondering if Panasonic is now turning the screen completely off in between scenes that are all black. I know the Samsungs and some other manufactures have been doing this for a while now and its really nice as you don't see the faint glow of the screen at idle. Did Panasonic finally move to this method with the ZT60 or VT60? I found this to be distracting in an all dark room when viewing my VT30. I really hope this got changed. smile.gif

Don't remember anyone mention if they do... LED's have been doing it since the first local (but blooming) dimming Samsung LED LCD away back at the end of 08 beginning of 09.
post #1983 of 12669 Old 07-26-2013, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Well I've had my 60" ZT60 for 14 days now and I tried to get used to the fan noise but I've decided to try my luck at another one. At first I didn't even notice it but when I actually turned everything off and unplugged my mini fridge that is in the same room I noticed that the hum I thought was the fridge was actually the tv. When using tv for sound the hum is audible, surround speakers not at all.

Anyways...Picture is awesome, #A03458 with a build date of May 2013. For $2500 this is a great tv but still too much to have to hear that hum, mostly right fan(standing in front of tv) makes the higher pitch noise.
post #1984 of 12669 Old 07-26-2013, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Are there any calibrated picture settings available other than cnets? Hdtvtest did a cal for their review, but I couldn't find a link to their settings. I plan to have a professional cal done at some point, when I get 300+ hours. Maybe I'll ask for that for Christmas. But in the meantime, wanted to play around and try various settings.

Thanks.

Panasonic TC-P60ZT60 plasma panel
Sony BDP-S5100 Blu-ray player
Samsung SMT-H3272 DVR
Yamaha RX-V650 AVR
XBOX 360
URC MX-780 remote control
post #1985 of 12669 Old 07-26-2013, 12:15 PM

Liked: 10
Can anyone help??? I tend to pause the TV alot. When I have my OPPO on pause, it goes in screensaver mode maybe after a minute. The OPPO logo moves around on screen. I have a Dishnet Hopper and when I pause the ZT60 it just stays paused with a timer on it. Is there any settings on either the Hopper or the TV that after a minute or so of paused it goes to a screen saver mode. I found a no activity mode buy that shuts the TV off and 2 hours, not what Im looking for. Anyhelp would be appreciated. Also how to you turn off the banner. Thanks a million:D
post #1986 of 12669 Old 07-26-2013, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by sooke View Post

Are there any calibrated picture settings available other than cnets? Hdtvtest did a cal for their review, but I couldn't find a link to their settings. I plan to have a professional cal done at some point, when I get 300+ hours. Maybe I'll ask for that for Christmas. But in the meantime, wanted to play around and try various settings.

Thanks.
HDTVTest calibrated the European model, so I don't think those would be the best baseline. Settings are notably devoid for this set aside from Cnet's.
post #1987 of 12669 Old 07-26-2013, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCDOGG View Post

Can anyone help??? I tend to pause the TV alot. When I have my OPPO on pause, it goes in screensaver mode maybe after a minute. The OPPO logo moves around on screen. I have a Dishnet Hopper and when I pause the ZT60 it just stays paused with a timer on it. Is there any settings on either the Hopper or the TV that after a minute or so of paused it goes to a screen saver mode. I found a no activity mode buy that shuts the TV off and 2 hours, not what Im looking for. Anyhelp would be appreciated. Also how to you turn off the banner. Thanks a million:D
The TV will go into a screen saver if it receives no signal. So if the Hopper is sending a signal then the screen saver for the TV won't go on. However, the Hopper may have a screen saver. My Uverse does.

post #1988 of 12669 Old 07-26-2013, 05:15 PM

Liked: 10
repete66211: thanks so much for your kind reply! i just hooked it up to the surge protector and my ps3.

the whole time i was at work today i was googling d-nice, calibration settings, and plasma break-in.

i'm an avid editor by trade and color correction is something i spend a lot of time working on professionally, so i will definitely be joining the OCD members of the forum and running those color slides. AV-related OCD is the reason i returned the mammoth Sony 70".

apparently people have encountered a file error trying to copy the color slides to a usb flash drive using mac computers - good thing my girlfriend has a windows pc laptop lying around here somewhere...

ok here's a question that's been driving me completely nuts for the last 15 minutes - i opened this slick, awesome looking black folder that came with the ZT 60 and on the right side there is a letter from the president of panasonic thanking me for buying the sickest tv on the planet, and on the left side there is a booklet outlining the Air Gap-Less Technology that was used to make this beauty a reality.

there seems to be some sort of pocket on the right side, under my sequential tv number

on the right side - under A05971 - what is supposed to be there!?

have i already lost something??? i've searched up and down my tv area, but nothing! i must know what was there and what i am now possibly missing... i will not throw out a drop of garbage from my house until i find out!

so excited/nervous/excited about this tv! d-nice's color slides will begin tonight

btw - first impression from watching a few minutes of Hugo (2D) and the imax scenes from Dark Knight Rises (no 2.35 bars on my baby until 200 hours!) - stunning pic quality, no noticeable fan noise!

have a great day guys - i am!
post #1989 of 12669 Old 07-26-2013, 05:18 PM
TWD
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
There is no card in the slot for North American ZTs. You didn't lose anything.
SurajDas2013 likes this.

TWD
post #1990 of 12669 Old 07-26-2013, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurajDas2013 View Post

apparently people have encountered a file error trying to copy the color slides to a usb flash drive using mac computers
There's a pretty easy work-around for the Mac issue. I don't recall off the top of my head but it's on here somewhere.
SurajDas2013 likes this.

post #1991 of 12669 Old 07-26-2013, 07:16 PM

Liked: 12
Easy, just reformat storage media with FAT32.
SurajDas2013 likes this.
post #1992 of 12669 Old 07-26-2013, 09:09 PM

Liked: 13
Back from two weeks in Cabo with the family - with a 2 and 4 year old I need a vacation from my vacation.

After two weeks with a crappy Samsung at the resort I fired up my ZT and was absolutely blown away (again) by the picture.

I have over 5000 hours as on online editor and this screen is truly amazing.

Glad the fan noise issue is being addressed for those it affects. Gonna get the silver calibration done for free and maybe D-Nice will swing through the pacific NW one of these days so I can get it done right. smile.gif

Very pleased with my Pioneer Elite VSX-70 on the sound front btw. Good, low budget option on the sound front for sure - airplay from our macs and iphones is awesome.

Panasonic 60ZT60 3DTV
Pioneer Elite VSX-70
Bowers & Wilkins 686 Fronts
Definitive Technology 8060HD Center
Definite Technology Pro Monitor 800 Sides
KLH bassbite 2 Sub (needs an upgrade)
PS3 for blu-rays
Xbox 360 for games
DirectTV & Netflix for content
post #1993 of 12669 Old 07-27-2013, 07:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by stabwag View Post

Well I've had my 60" ZT60 for 14 days now and I tried to get used to the fan noise but I've decided to try my luck at another one. At first I didn't even notice it but when I actually turned everything off and unplugged my mini fridge that is in the same room I noticed that the hum I thought was the fridge was actually the tv. When using tv for sound the hum is audible, surround speakers not at all.
Bummer, see what happens with to much investigation frown.gif The question is, is this a good thing you discovered the noise or no ?
post #1994 of 12669 Old 07-27-2013, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Bummer, see what happens with to much investigation frown.gif The question is, is this a good thing you discovered the noise or no ?
Have you discussed the fan issue with your Panasonic rep? I ask because I know they have a fix but I'm wondering if they're using that on an as-needed basis or if they're notifying all their retailers.

post #1995 of 12669 Old 07-27-2013, 08:47 AM

Liked: 12
I just got my 3rd ZT, after having switched out the previous 2 for banding. This latest one still has banding 3 inches from the right side.

Is there anything I can do to correct it or is it on to ZT #4?
post #1996 of 12669 Old 07-27-2013, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWD View Post

Thanks, I also was wondering if I was missing something.

Soooo, for the non-North American ZTs, what is in the pocket?

Panasonic TC-P60ZT60 plasma panel
Sony BDP-S5100 Blu-ray player
Samsung SMT-H3272 DVR
Yamaha RX-V650 AVR
XBOX 360
URC MX-780 remote control
post #1997 of 12669 Old 07-27-2013, 09:10 AM
TWD
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by stabwag View Post

If the ZT that I had just had fan hum , I might still have it. It was the pulsating that got me.

TWD
post #1998 of 12669 Old 07-27-2013, 09:13 AM
TWD
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWD View Post

I don't know about everywhere, but in the UK they do.

TWD
post #1999 of 12669 Old 07-27-2013, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Harford View Post

I just got my 3rd ZT, after having switched out the previous 2 for banding. This latest one still has banding 3 inches from the right side.

This was covered pretty extensively early in the thread. Virtually all units were reporting a vertical band along the right side. However, it was more visible with the slides and eventually went away. I had it in the early hours when running slides but with regular (i.e. not slides) content it's not visible anymore.

post #2000 of 12669 Old 07-27-2013, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Quote:

A gold card.

post #2001 of 12669 Old 07-27-2013, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Harford View Post

This will be the exchange game that never ends (until the retail establishment cuts their losses). Try to put 100 hours of preferably slides on it before you attempt another switch-out.
post #2002 of 12669 Old 07-27-2013, 11:24 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by repete66211 View Post

Quote:
Quote:

A gold card.
A gold "plastic" card to indicate how special the set is. wink.gif
post #2003 of 12669 Old 07-27-2013, 01:40 PM

Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

So based on this news, the American version is not that special, right?
post #2004 of 12669 Old 07-27-2013, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yep, to indicate how exclusive the ZT is--the 60 inch ZT.

post #2005 of 12669 Old 07-27-2013, 01:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Okay, got mine a couple hours ago, have most things set up (Cinema THX mode for each input, turned pretty much everything off that could be turned off, may tweek the contrast etc some more later on, but turned them down some).

No fan noise that I could hear (it replaces a Sony XBR2 rear projection set which had plenty of fan noise so it seems dead quiet in comparison, which is excellent), we live in a pretty quiet neighborhood, so if it's going to be a problem I'll know soon enough.

No discernable problem with screen glare as of yet (used to have a Mitsubishi set, now that one had glare issues (though curtain situation at the time may have exacerbated that quite a bit). May not be all that much different than the XBR2, perhaps better actually. See how things work out after dark.

Question: How does one get the 96hz setting?

Did set up the oppo, haven't played anything yet, as a direct input for video to HDMI 3 (have to double check I'm using the proper output from it for 3d), set source direct and 24p. At least see 24p on the tv side, but only see greyed out 60Hz option on the tv. (The other oppo HDMI output is going to the 2D only receiver strictly for audio (guess I'll have to check that too).)

Also directv is direct video input to HDMI 1, did some 3d on it. Audio is via coax to receiver. (Didn't toy with the 24 part of 1080p/24 or with 96Hz, something else to do later maybe.)

And receiver where everything else goes thru is routed to HDMI 2. First attempt to get 24p was futile... my other (Panasonic) blu-ray player wouldn't allow change to 24p, and the tv didn't seem to want to cooperate either (the XBR2 did not support 24p, so this is new territory for the receiver and its components). Will tackle it some more later, but now I'm wondering whether receiver supports 1080p/24, or if it's just plain old 1080p.

Any ideas/suggestions how to nudge everything to 24p and 96Hz? 3:2 pulldown setting(s), maybe? (Cabling?) Is 48Hz an option instead, and would it be something I'd even want to do?

So all in all pretty good. The only (other?) too bad part is there's no svideo input, so s-vhs vcr that gets used once in while may be relegated to being upconverted by the receiver, don't know how sucky that will end up but I suspect it won't do as good of a job as the XBR2 did.
post #2006 of 12669 Old 07-27-2013, 03:56 PM

Liked: 11
Hi guys,
Kind of a time sensitive question: My local BB has a sale on the 65" ZT today at $3500. I wasn't ready to buy yet, but I feel like I should jump on it. Is this price likely to be the norm later this year? I have about two hours till close. Thanks
post #2007 of 12669 Old 07-27-2013, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken vindaloo View Post

Hi guys,
Kind of a time sensitive question: My local BB has a sale on the 65" ZT today at $3500. I wasn't ready to buy yet, but I feel like I should jump on it. Is this price likely to be the norm later this year? I have about two hours till close. Thanks
My BB has had the ZT at $3,500 for at least 2 weeks now.

post #2008 of 12669 Old 07-27-2013, 04:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 838
Quote:

Hi guys,
Judging by history the longer you wait the cheaper it will be. Wait until around Christmas or even better next February.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #2009 of 12669 Old 07-27-2013, 06:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost! View Post

Quote:

So based on this news, the American version is not that special, right?
The story that I've read here at AVS is that Panasonic restricted the number of ZT60 sets for the European market and identified them as "Special Edition" sets -- marketing hype. wink.gif

At the same time they gave BB an exclusive supply of ZT60 sets. That "special deal" just expired at BB. It's interesting that BB felt the need to clear up some inventory before their exclusive deal ended.
post #2010 of 12669 Old 07-27-2013, 06:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Hi guys,
That's probably the standard price going forward.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65zt60 65 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60zt60 60 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page