Official ZT60 Owners Thread - Page 79 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2341 of 12369 Old 08-13-2013, 08:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The ML sounds pretty fantastic - anyone who says differently hears funny. The ML is the closest I've heard a soundbar get to reproducing a full sound system (perhaps the Panorama would be slightly better in some respects, but it has its own set of problems and I don't want motors in my speakers). As for going with a soundbar - I had a 7.1 system previously and don't want the clutter/wires. I want it clean and streamlined. Also, I'm currently in an apartment and can't be shaking the walls - if I still had my house I might have been more inclined to go with a full sound system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2342 of 12369 Old 08-13-2013, 08:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 823
A 7.1 system doesnt have to be loud to be appreciated and will outperform any soundbar. But I was really commenting on your choice of HDMI cable more than anything. The expensive cables are a waste of money. Return it if you can.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #2343 of 12369 Old 08-13-2013, 08:19 PM

The cables weren't incredibly expensive - but they were a bit costly. They are made of good materials which will at least be durable. I'll keep 'em, at least they look pretty. wink.gif
post #2344 of 12369 Old 08-13-2013, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Congrats on the new equipment. The sound bar only take optical probably because it's only 2-channel, making HDMI unnecessary. As to your question about cables, you needn't overspend. Although under certain situations you might appreciate a higher end optical cable, any decently-built HDMI cable will do. Many prefer Monoprice. Personally, I don't always use HDMI, but when I do I prefer Blue Jeans Cable.
kaffeen likes this.

post #2345 of 12369 Old 08-13-2013, 09:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hey guys I found these steps earlier in the thread on how to check your screen hours. I just thought I'd repost them for those new ZT owners. Not sure on the last step though.. It says hold down power button, on the tv or remote? I've done the tv but it just turns the tv off and then it restarts, granted it does exit you out of the menu.

CHECK YOUR ZT's SCREEN TIME

Press and hold down the Vol- button on the TV.
Then press info button on the remote control 3 times.
Start adj. menu message will be displayed followed by Service menu in a few seconds.

Press the # 2 button once to select SRV-TOOL. Then press ok to access it.

Using the cursor keys Highlight the last box on bottom right side, then press and hold Mute for 3 seconds. Hours will be displayed in red and also how many times the set has been turned on.

Hold power button to exit.

Be careful in there and don't mess around in there as you can brick your TV.
kaffeen likes this.

Note: This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, or may entirely lack a coherent theme but it will only add to the overall beauty of my message.
post #2346 of 12369 Old 08-14-2013, 06:58 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost! View Post

I got one of these Harmony Smart Controls, and I am trying to customize an Activity. Does anyone know if there is a key on the Panasonic remote for going to full screen from the Home screen? Right now everything works, and I get the picture in the smaller box on the home screen, but I want it to be maximized.

I know I can put an OK button on the activity, but what if your TV is already on, and you are in Media Player for example, or your cursor is on another menu item on the home screen. OK simply is not an option.

For now I did this, but it seems too complicated and unpredictable: Home - Exit - Left - Left - Left - Left - Top - Top - Top - Down - OK

So it is making sure we are on Home screen, it then makes sure the cursor goes to left-top corner, and then moves it to the box and hits OK.

Congrats on the Harmony Smart Control.....I have one too and it is a great product.
I am probably not a typical user of a "smart" TV. I have my Harmony set for 3 activities...watch the PVR, watch the BluRay, and watch Apple TV. I then customized my Harmony buttons to take me directly to those activities...turning on the associated equipment and always setting the TV input to HDMI 1 (I route all sources through my Elite AV receiver which results in just one HDMI cable going to my ZT60).
So, I bypass all of the "smart TV" stuff, apps, web stuff, etc. This simplifies the Harmony programming greatly and, to be honest, have always found that web-browsing etc. on a TV is a poor experience at best. In fact, that special small remote with the touch-pad that came with the TV....is still in it's bag. It will never be used.

Enjoy your Harmony!
post #2347 of 12369 Old 08-14-2013, 08:00 AM

Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkelch View Post

Congrats on the Harmony Smart Control.....I have one too and it is a great product.
I am probably not a typical user of a "smart" TV. I have my Harmony set for 3 activities...watch the PVR, watch the BluRay, and watch Apple TV. I then customized my Harmony buttons to take me directly to those activities...turning on the associated equipment and always setting the TV input to HDMI 1 (I route all sources through my Elite AV receiver which results in just one HDMI cable going to my ZT60).
So, I bypass all of the "smart TV" stuff, apps, web stuff, etc. This simplifies the Harmony programming greatly and, to be honest, have always found that web-browsing etc. on a TV is a poor experience at best. In fact, that special small remote with the touch-pad that came with the TV....is still in it's bag. It will never be used.

Enjoy your Harmony!

LOL, my remotes are also in the bag. The only reason I use the Smart TV functions is the DLNA Server. I have a NAS, and most of my movies and music are on it. I can only access those with the App, since my Apple TV does not connect to DLNA servers.

After repete suggestion, I also did the same. I now only use the full screen home screen, and everything works. I also need to customize the small remote a little bit to be able to change between screen modes like THX Cinema, Custom, etc. Other than that, it is a good product, but boy the software on Harmony website and the app is very limited. I couldn't even set a Static IP for the Hub!
post #2348 of 12369 Old 08-14-2013, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost! View Post

After repete suggestion, I also did the same. I now only use the full screen home screen, and everything works. I also need to customize the small remote a little bit to be able to change between screen modes like THX Cinema, Custom, etc.
I have a soft button to take me to the viewing mode. I think I had to create a sequence specifically for it.

post #2349 of 12369 Old 08-14-2013, 08:11 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaffeen View Post

I'm still pending installation for my ZT60 and am anxious to get it home. I've been reading up on the calibration comments and links - I've also reviewed the CNET settings. In the CNET settings the author indicates that THX Cinema is almost identical in quality to their own settings (and that most people could not tell the difference). I've had several Panasonic Plasma televisions over the years and have never calibrated (so I'm a noob in this regard, I'm also a bit lazy). What advantages might I see with professional calibration versus just using the THX Cinema? Outside of minor enhancement, is there something which makes it worth the time and effort?

Also, a word of advice for those interested in buying their television from Best Buy (as I did). Best Buy does price matching for online stores - they are hesitant initially to match some of the more competitive pricing, but it can be done (particularly if you work with the management in the Magnolia centers). There are a couple of companies/sites that have extremely ridiculous prices (i.e. East Coast TV). Basically, these companies do this by selling their television "as is". In other words, no exchanges (at least, that is how I understand it). There are probably some other tricks, but they remain legitimate competition and many are authorized dealers. The problem with the ZT60 is that Best Buy has a hard cap on the price (even if you have an employee wanting to match a price for it, they can't do it because the national Best Buy system prevents it). That is okay though as long as you buy *other things* with the television. For instance, I got a very high end soundbar. While they couldn't lower the price on the ZT60, they lowered the price on the soundbar (half off). This essentially matched the price I saw for the ZT60 online. The ZT60 was marked down to its lowest price possible as well (at the time, this was 3199). I got the television and soundbar for a ridiculously low price based on their overall retail value. So, long story short, give them other items to play with on price and bring in those ridiculous prices from online (assuming you want/desire/need other things too - but hey, we all want other things right!). They can work some magic if you have multiple items (and you find management wanting to make the sale and willing to work with you).

I followed the exact settings listed on cNet with one exception.....I turned Motion Smooting OFF instead of the suggested WEAK. The ZT60 picture is so good and the contrast and blacks so profound that motion smoothing, especially on BD discs, is quite distracting and makes the movie look like it was shot on video whenever there is motion on the screen.
Once I entered all of the cNet settings, I did a number of A/B comparisons between cNet and the THX Cinema settings. Several of us were in the room, which was darkened but not completely dark. We could not discern a difference except the cNet settings squeeze out a very minor increase in brightness.
With out-of-box settings that look this good, I will save my calibration dollars and spend on some other gadgetry.
Good luck with your new Panny......you won't be disappointed.
kaffeen likes this.
post #2350 of 12369 Old 08-14-2013, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkelch View Post

I followed the exact settings listed on cNet with one exception.....I turned Motion Smooting OFF instead of the suggested WEAK. The ZT60 picture is so good and the contrast and blacks so profound that motion smoothing, especially on BD discs, is quite distracting and makes the movie look like it was shot on video whenever there is motion on the screen. Once I entered all of the cNet settings, I did a number of A/B comparisons between cNet and the THX Cinema settings. Several of us were in the room, which was darkened but not completely dark. We could not discern a difference except the cNet settings squeeze out a very minor increase in brightness.
+1 I too turned off Motion Smoothing. And because I couldn't tell much of an improvement I just keep it on THX Cinema all the time. The PQ is just fantastic. I put in Lawrence of Arabia last night and, as much as I hate doing this, found myself watching the TV instead of watching the movie.

post #2351 of 12369 Old 08-14-2013, 09:31 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by iChristopher View Post

Hey guys I found these steps earlier in the thread on how to check your screen hours. I just thought I'd repost them for those new ZT owners. Not sure on the last step though.. It says hold down power button, on the tv or remote? I've done the tv but it just turns the tv off and then it restarts, granted it does exit you out of the menu.

CHECK YOUR ZT's SCREEN TIME

Press and hold down the Vol- button on the TV.
Then press info button on the remote control 3 times.
Start adj. menu message will be displayed followed by Service menu in a few seconds.

Press the # 2 button once to select SRV-TOOL. Then press ok to access it.

Using the cursor keys Highlight the last box on bottom right side, then press and hold Mute for 3 seconds. Hours will be displayed in red and also how many times the set has been turned on.

Hold power button to exit.

Be careful in there and don't mess around in there as you can brick your TV.
You are correct to hold down the power button on the TV. It will do just as you say and shut down, then restart which also exit's you out of the service menu. Thank you for your post as I have now went back and updated that post.
iChristopher likes this.

Living Room
Panasonic TC-P65ZT60, Sony PS3, Marantz SR5008, Center PC2000, Front & Surround's PM1000, Sub PB-2000, Harmony Smart Remote

Bedroom
Panasonic TC-P46S1, Panasonic HTIB SA-BT200
post #2352 of 12369 Old 08-14-2013, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
For those of you who have 1,000 or more hours on your sets, have you noticed a greater susceptibility to IR? I'm asking because there are reports in the ST60 forum that highlight a developing pattern of the loss of IR resistance somewhere after the 500 hour mark.

Your thoughts and comments are appreciated. Thanks.
post #2353 of 12369 Old 08-14-2013, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by ab2ab View Post

For those of you who have 1,000 or more hours on your sets, have you noticed a greater susceptibility to IR? I'm asking because there are reports in the ST60 forum that highlight a developing pattern of the loss of IR resistance somewhere after the 500 hour mark.

I am loving my ZT, but coming from LED I am finding it hard to enjoy the TV because of fear of IR and doing the break-in period. I know it sounds weird, but I am use to plugging in a T.V. and just enjoying it with movies, gaming and whatever. But instead, I am focused on trying to get to 100 hours, then trying to get to 300 hours not playing anything widescreen with black bars in the first 100 hours or so, only trying out games for a short time out of fear that something might happen to my screen. I am currently at 56 hours on it since Sunday, been running it 48 hours straight with various blu ray t.v. shows and at night setting by blu ray to repeat 6 or so chapters of various movies.

I know I am probably being "overly" concerned, but in reading some post in this thread it seems like there are others like me that are fearing IR, especially on new units. While it has the best picture I have ever seen, the fear of IR etc. is causing me to not enjoy it as much as I want. Am I being overly sensitive? Are those that have had the set much longer can provide words of comfort? lol. I am a gamer, but rarely play any one game for more that 2 hours (which is rare)...my fiancée and I like to watch cable and blu ray, but a lot of our movies have the black bars.

With hearing the possibility that the above poster mentioned about the ST60 possible being more susceptible to IR after 500 hrs, I mean is this the way it is for Plasma?

-Hawkmoon
post #2354 of 12369 Old 08-14-2013, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post

I am loving my ZT, but coming from LED I am finding it hard to enjoy the TV because of fear of IR and doing the break-in period. I know it sounds weird, but I am use to plugging in a T.V. and just enjoying it with movies, gaming and whatever. But instead, I am focused on trying to get to 100 hours, then trying to get to 300 hours not playing anything widescreen with black bars in the first 100 hours or so, only trying out games for a short time out of fear that something might happen to my screen. I am currently at 56 hours on it since Sunday, been running it 48 hours straight with various blu ray t.v. shows and at night setting by blu ray to repeat 6 or so chapters of various movies.

I know I am probably being "overly" concerned, but in reading some post in this thread it seems like there are others like me that are fearing IR, especially on new units. While it has the best picture I have ever seen, the fear of IR etc. is causing me to not enjoy it as much as I want. Am I being overly sensitive? Are those that have had the set much longer can provide words of comfort? lol. I am a gamer, but rarely play any one game for more that 2 hours (which is rare)...my fiancée and I like to watch cable and blu ray, but a lot of our movies have the black bars.

With hearing the possibility that the above poster mentioned about the ST60 possible being more susceptible to IR after 500 hrs, I mean is this the way it is for Plasma?
No, it's not...the Pioneer I owned before did not develop more susceptibility to IR as time went on. It's too early to say what's transpiring with the ST60 model, though it's not something any of us like to see.

On another note, I also watched mostly Blu-ray movies (hardly any gaming, maybe 5%, and not much more in the way of cable/satellite viewing, 20%?) on said Pioneer panel, so there was a particular preponderance of black bars on-screen due to aspect ratios. As a result, the panel did age unevenly (and this was over the course of only about 2000 hours), and it was particularly noticeable on a blank screen where the difference in wear was visually marked by horizontal bars that were slightly less dark than the remainder of the TV. An unavoidable side effect of uneven phosphor wear.
post #2355 of 12369 Old 08-14-2013, 10:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 823
Yes, you are overly concerned.
Dont pay any attention to the other posters concerns about IR getting worse at 500 hrs. He is overly concerned too.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #2356 of 12369 Old 08-14-2013, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As stated above, I've seen IR on my ZT. However, it was only along the left and right edges of the screen, maybe 3 inches in. Could this be because I've watched some 4:3 content so the edge phosphors are less aged or because static images tend to be on the edges of the screen? You got me. Regardless of cause, like all IR it went away.

My Samsung A550 is 5 years old and I was playing games on it & watching 4:3 content right out of the box. IR seemed to get worse as it aged but it was always temporary and usually not visible unless I looked for it so it never bothered me. First world problems.

post #2357 of 12369 Old 08-14-2013, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

No, it's not...the Pioneer I owned before did not develop more susceptibility to IR as time went on. It's too early to say what's transpiring with the ST60 model, though it's not something any of us like to see.

On another note, I also watched mostly Blu-ray movies (hardly any gaming, maybe 5%, and not much more in the way of cable/satellite viewing, 20%?) on said Pioneer panel, so there was a particular preponderance of black bars on-screen due to aspect ratios. As a result, the panel did age unevenly (and this was over the course of only about 2000 hours), and it was particularly noticeable on a blank screen where the difference in wear was visually marked by horizontal bars that were slightly less dark than the remainder of the TV. An unavoidable side effect of uneven phosphor wear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by repete66211 View Post

As stated above, I've seen IR on my ZT. However, it was only along the left and right edges of the screen, maybe 3 inches in. Could this be because I've watched some 4:3 content so the edge phosphors are less aged or because static images tend to be on the edges of the screen? You got me. Regardless of cause, like all IR it went away.

My Samsung A550 is 5 years old and I was playing games on it & watching 4:3 content right out of the box. IR seemed to get worse as it aged but it was always temporary and usually not visible unless I looked for it so it never bothered me. First world problems.

Thanks guys for taking the time to post your comments.

The "plasma drama" has always been the reason why I never bought or recommended them to friends in the past. The PQ is without peer (among real folks with real budgets) but the amount of attention needed to maintain them always put me off. I mean, it's a damn TV; set it and forget it! That should be the extent of one's TV involvement aside from calibration, cleaning the screen and watching it. And yes, I am chiefly aware that the alternatives to plasma technology are not without their compromises and quirks. Of course, if you're reading this, you already know that.

Anyway, all things considered, I still may try my hand at plasma ownership. It's now a matter of how much am I willing to wager on this experiment. Hmmm...

For reference, I have absolutely ZERO interest in 3D, integrated cameras, integrated speakers, or so-called "smart apps." Additionally, I do not play video games. I'm looking for the best PQ I can get for a reasonable price. Further, I wouldn't upgrade to a newer model for many years so I'd be willing to pay a little more for the right TV provided the model is known to be reliable. Hence, my reluctance to jumping into plasma given these new IR reports as hours build up.

My planned use will be for blu-ray & sd dvd movies, occasional sports and local news. That's it.

The question now is...Which model Panny? Or, could there be a F8500 in the running?? Hmmm...

P.S. Out of curiosity, which LED TV is considered to be the leader of the pack?

Thanks guys! smile.gif
post #2358 of 12369 Old 08-14-2013, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

I understand the reluctance to go plasma. It's the best PQ but on balance it's not for everyone.

Best PQ - ZT60. F8500 is worth a look too if your room is bright, assuming your TV stand can accommodate it.
Best PQ w/o bells & whistles - S60.
Best LED - Sharp Elite if you can find one. If not, whatever Samsung's high-end model is. F8000 I think?

post #2359 of 12369 Old 08-14-2013, 01:10 PM

Quote:

Thanks guys for taking the time to post your comments.

The "plasma drama" has always been the reason why I never bought or recommended them to friends in the past. The PQ is without peer (among real folks with real budgets) but the amount of attention needed to maintain them always put me off. I mean, it's a damn TV; set it and forget it! That should be the extent of one's TV involvement aside from calibration, cleaning the screen and watching it. And yes, I am chiefly aware that the alternatives to plasma technology are not without their compromises and quirks. Of course, if you're reading this, you already know that.

Anyway, all things considered, I still may try my hand at plasma ownership. It's now a matter of how much am I willing to wager on this experiment. Hmmm...

For reference, I have absolutely ZERO interest in 3D, integrated cameras, integrated speakers, or so-called "smart apps." Additionally, I do not play video games. I'm looking for the best PQ I can get for a reasonable price. Further, I wouldn't upgrade to a newer model for many years so I'd be willing to pay a little more for the right TV provided the model is known to be reliable. Hence, my reluctance to jumping into plasma given these new IR reports as hours build up.

My planned use will be for blu-ray & sd dvd movies, occasional sports and local news. That's it.

The question now is...Which model Panny? Or, could there be a F8500 in the running?? Hmmm...

P.S. Out of curiosity, which LED TV is considered to be the leader of the pack?

Thanks guys! smile.gif

For LED the Sony 55" 900a (2k, not the 4k). It is a great set, but the one I had there was clouding. My 2011 XBR-929 55" is a fantastic set, but I wanted to go bigger and was not going to get a 4k. I looked at a lot of T.V.'s and finally settled in on the ZT Series. I never owned a Plasma and like you, never recommended one to family because of all the supposed issues. Since I tend to stick to Sony brand T.V.'s, they had no options for me to go beyond 55" unless I went with a 4k set and I could not locate last years XBR line is hard to find and overly priced if you do find one.

As someone coming from LED and never owning a Plasma, if you want the best of the best, the ZT series is where it is at. Every time I look at the set I am still amazed at how good the PQ is and I know I am being overly concerned with potential issues, I do need to look past that and just enjoy the set. I agree that T.V.'s should be set and forget it outside of calibration, but to be honest, LED also introduce issues as I experienced several over the last 5 years with LCD/LED and Rear Projection sets. Since I am new to plasma and all, I am being careful and am doing a break-in where I have been running full screen movies, tv shows etc to get into that 100+ hours and then 300 or so before I do a ISF calibration.

One other thing, motion handling is far superior on this set than any other set I seen in any store or owned. It will sound funny, but the TV Show Big Bang Theory, the intro where the song plays and they show all the black and white images that change at an incredible speed are ROCK solid on this set. I have seen this intro on my 929, 500a, 900a and even tried it at the store and saw it on a Samsung LCD and few other sets and there was a lot of distortion that prior to using a plasma I never really gave it much thought. I know it sounds so trivial, but when that part plays it is so clean and crisp that I blows me away.

-Hawkmoon
post #2360 of 12369 Old 08-14-2013, 01:14 PM

Quote:

I understand the reluctance to go plasma. It's the best PQ but on balance it's not for everyone.

Best PQ - ZT60. F8500 is worth a look too if your room is bright, assuming your TV stand can accommodate it.
Best LED - Sharp Elite if you can find one. If not, whatever Samsung's high-end model is. F8000 I think?

The F8500 was going to be my choice initially since it also looked very good. One thing about the F8500 is that it is a bit brighter than the ZT and coming from LED that is what first had be checking out the set. I had heard from many that if you are use to LED and the inherent brightness level and you want to go plasma that the F8500 is a good choice. But in the end, since my room is not that bright and most of my T.V. time is in the evening, I settled in with the ZT.

-Hawkmoon
post #2361 of 12369 Old 08-14-2013, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

I too was considering the F8500 but the base is as wide as the TV and therefore wider than my TV stand. So if your furniture isn't at least 56" (I think) wide you have to mount it. I love my TV stand and had no intention of replacing it so that knocked the F8500 out of the hunt. I really don't like the look of the stand anyway.

post #2362 of 12369 Old 08-14-2013, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmos5861 View Post

I am getting my ZT60 delivered this Thursday. Best Buy agreed to let me trade in my Sony 950 that I had for 6 months. I want to test the panel before they deliver it. I am looking for any dead pixel or any other defects. Any recommendation on how to do this?

How about fan noise. Does the set need to be on for awhile to hear it? Any feedback would be great?

I also looking for a very slim wall mount that has full swing. ANY suggestions? I like this one but can find a local dealer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGSfxGwz5TE

Thank you

Update:

My ZT60 was supposed to be delivered last Thursday from Best Buy. They rescheduled for this week. I had called them and asked if I can get the most recent ZT60 due to the buzzing sound issue. I got a phone call back saying " I think you are right about the buzzing noise issue. I have heard the same thing. Why don't you wait a month and let them work it out. Same deal applies so don't worry about time issue.

Thought?
post #2363 of 12369 Old 08-14-2013, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

One other thing, motion handling is far superior on this set than any other set I seen in any store or owned. It will sound funny, but the TV Show Big Bang Theory, the intro where the song plays and they show all the black and white images that change at an incredible speed are ROCK solid on this set. I have seen this intro on my 929, 500a, 900a and even tried it at the store and saw it on a Samsung LCD and few other sets and there was a lot of distortion that prior to using a plasma I never really gave it much thought. I know it sounds so trivial, but when that part plays it is so clean and crisp that I blows me away.

Hi Hawkmoon, do you use the motion smoother? I have mine set to "weak". Never paid attention to the opening of Big Bang Theory but I will tonight. Funny show.

BTW, if you are looking for a show that highlights the ZT's PQ, try America's Got Talent. The stage is jet black with lots of deep blue and red lights in the background. Really high contrast source material. I'm not even interested in the show, but I tune to it occasionally because it is so pretty to look at.

Panasonic TC-P60ZT60 plasma panel
Sony BDP-S5100 Blu-ray player
Samsung SMT-H3272 DVR
Yamaha RX-V650 AVR
XBOX 360
URC MX-780 remote control
post #2364 of 12369 Old 08-14-2013, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooke View Post

I'm not even interested in the show
Sure you aren't. wink.gif

post #2365 of 12369 Old 08-14-2013, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmos5861 View Post

Update:

My ZT60 was supposed to be delivered last Thursday from Best Buy. They rescheduled for this week. I had called them and asked if I can get the most recent ZT60 due to the buzzing sound issue. I got a phone call back saying " I think you are right about the buzzing noise issue. I have heard the same thing. Why don't you wait a month and let them work it out. Same deal applies so don't worry about time issue.

Thought?
Perhaps I'm just being cynical, but I see Panasonic dealing with this on a case-by-case basis (and sometimes not even dealing with it at all). I would be very surprised if they implemented a fix on the manufacturing end.

post #2366 of 12369 Old 08-14-2013, 02:36 PM

I agree. I don't see them fixing this in production. From all accounts I've read, the problem isn't universal either (which means they are even more unlikely to go to the added expense of retrofitting their production and/or supply). Furthermore, I doubt the existing stock/supply will be gone any time soon - these are probably selling well but they are prohibitively expensive for the majority of people. I'm not even certain they are still actively producing these. The word is that this is the last Plasma. I say get your television now and enjoy it - if there is a problem contact Panasonic and let them take care of it.
post #2367 of 12369 Old 08-14-2013, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooke View Post

Hi Hawkmoon, do you use the motion smoother? I have mine set to "weak". Never paid attention to the opening of Big Bang Theory but I will tonight. Funny show.

BTW, if you are looking for a show that highlights the ZT's PQ, try America's Got Talent. The stage is jet black with lots of deep blue and red lights in the background. Really high contrast source material. I'm not even interested in the show, but I tune to it occasionally because it is so pretty to look at.

I don't use the motion smoother. I have it set to off. During the day I use the THX Bright Room settings and in the evening I use the THX Cinema mode and in both it has it set to off. So far, I prefer those two settings. I did lower the contrast in Bright Room since it is automatically set to 100...I think I have it at 80. In Cinema mode, I have everything at default as is and it looks fantastic.

-Hawkmoon
post #2368 of 12369 Old 08-14-2013, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaffeen View Post

I agree. I don't see them fixing this in production. From all accounts I've read, the problem isn't universal either (which means they are even more unlikely to go to the added expense of retrofitting their production and/or supply). Furthermore, I doubt the existing stock/supply will be gone any time soon - these are probably selling well but they are prohibitively expensive for the majority of people. I'm not even certain they are still actively producing these. The word is that this is the last Plasma. I say get your television now and enjoy it - if there is a problem contact Panasonic and let them take care of it.

I agree. I got my set on Sunday and for the first 8 hours of use I did not hear it at all. It was not till we turned off everything, but left the T.V. on did me and my fiancée hear the set. We have a 7.1 audio system and even at low volume settings for regular t.v. watching we don't here it. I know some here it more that others and like anything, I am sure there are variations in how much sound each unit makes. I agree with the above poster that you should just take delivery of your set. If it is too loud for you call Panasonic, but depending on where you sit and where you place the set and what volume you watch t.v., game, movies etc., you might not hear it at all.

-Hawkmoon
post #2369 of 12369 Old 08-14-2013, 03:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Quote:

For LED the Sony 55" 900a (2k, not the 4k). It is a great set, but the one I had there was clouding. My 2011 XBR-929 55" is a fantastic set, but I wanted to go bigger and was not going to get a 4k. I looked at a lot of T.V.'s and finally settled in on the ZT Series. I never owned a Plasma and like you, never recommended one to family because of all the supposed issues. Since I tend to stick to Sony brand T.V.'s, they had no options for me to go beyond 55" unless I went with a 4k set and I could not locate last years XBR line is hard to find and overly priced if you do find one.

As someone coming from LED and never owning a Plasma, if you want the best of the best, the ZT series is where it is at. Every time I look at the set I am still amazed at how good the PQ is and I know I am being overly concerned with potential issues, I do need to look past that and just enjoy the set. I agree that T.V.'s should be set and forget it outside of calibration, but to be honest, LED also introduce issues as I experienced several over the last 5 years with LCD/LED and Rear Projection sets. Since I am new to plasma and all, I am being careful and am doing a break-in where I have been running full screen movies, tv shows etc to get into that 100+ hours and then 300 or so before I do a ISF calibration.

Quote:

I too was considering the F8500 but the base is as wide as the TV and therefore wider than my TV stand. So if your furniture isn't at least 56" (I think) wide you have to mount it. I love my TV stand and had no intention of replacing it so that knocked the F8500 out of the hunt. I really don't like the look of the stand anyway.

Thanks again guys.

I'm going to give it some more thought on which model would be best for me. I feel like either way is a potential risk so I'll mitigate it by putting a hard cap on the cost of the TV. That way I won't lose any sleep if a irreconcilable problem occurs, or I plain ole' don't enjoy the experience of owning it. I'll figure out what that number is soon. Conversely, I'll also start looking at LED models too as a back-up plan. I love the Sharp Elite but that thing is a mirror. And, I like what I've seen from the F8500 but the design of its stand is rather annoying. Going back to the Touch of Color, Samsung has taken too aggressive an approach with the styling of its panels. Hell, I wanted to try a larger Samsung TV a couple of years ago but wouldn't touch it because of that stupid Touch of Color crap. Not a fan of wall-mounting a TV in a living room either so that'll never happen.

Anyway, I'll think things over and report back on my decision soon.

Thanks for all of your help! smile.gif
post #2370 of 12369 Old 08-14-2013, 03:46 PM

Liked: 10
Hawkmoon I think 3000hz subfield drive has something to do with the superior motion we see on the VT & ZT60, in years gone by the phosphor decay time was typically around 1.5 milliseconds on 600hz plasmas which is fast but still requires sub-frame interpolation to reproduce proper looking motion without instances of double images
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65zt60 65 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60zt60 60 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page