AVS Forum banner
1M views 15K replies 796 participants last post by  fmalczewski 
#1 ·
Well mine is arriving in less than 30 hours and no one has started the thread so I figure I might as well go ahead and do it!

Welcome to the official owners thread for the Panasonic ZT60.

Lets see some pictures from the early owners and initial thoughts.

Reactions: Here2Learn
#12,122 ·
I'm curious how he arrived at that setting. Look at a gray scale pattern and there is no change from about 70 to 100 contrast. On one hand, that indicates that the contrast needn't be any higher than 70, but it also apparently indicates that because 100 looks no different than 70 that setting it to 100 shouldn't cause any more IR than if it's set at 70 or somewhere in between. Who knows?

He used a meter and set the contrast based on light output, you may not be able to see a visual difference but with the appropriate calibration pattern size and a meter there is a measured difference.

#12,123 ·
Not in front of my tv right now, but my day setting was near 90 (in a well natural lit room during the day), and a good 10+ points lower for the night setting.
Pretty close to where I have it (as well as a matching differential, though I need to recheck to be sure).

Repete, I might experiment in the daytime to check for visible deterioration in the day by decreasing to 70 since any differences beyond it are quite subtle. It may be that they're not as evident with higher APL content and have a greater effect with low APL.

#12,124 ·
Rejoice. Not sure there is reliable data to back up that perception. I suggest calibrating your display properly with one of the BluRay discs and that will most likely yield a contrast between 65-75 that I think is the bigger issue. Turn on pixel orbiter too and you should be just fine.
would it help if I change the colour of the subtitles to green or yellow will it help? (instead of the deafult white?)

#12,125 · (Edited)
would it help if I change the colour of the subtitles to green or yellow will it help? (instead of the deafult white?)
Yellow subtitles would not yield the same level of IR as white subtitles.

Years ago, there was a move to change all subtitles to yellow with black edges as this created contrast that more legible than anything else, including white. Watch an old black and white movie (or Austin Powers in Goldmember) and it becomes apparent that white subtitles can blend with other whites on screen.

#12,127 ·
Does anyone use the Amazon Video app? I'm a Prime subscriber so I've been able to watch a lot of stuff at no extra cost. So far everything has 2-channel sound only. Is that a limitation of the app, Amazon, or have I just not found the right content?

I'm considering a Roku 3 or DIY HTPC for a better streaming experience. I'd like to know if I can get more out of the Amazon streaming in particular.

Jim

#12,128 ·
Stereo sound on Amazon Prime

Does anyone use the Amazon Video app? I'm a Prime subscriber so I've been able to watch a lot of stuff at no extra cost. So far everything has 2-channel sound only. Is that a limitation of the app, Amazon, or have I just not found the right content?

I'm considering a Roku 3 or DIY HTPC for a better streaming experience. I'd like to know if I can get more out of the Amazon streaming in particular.

Jim
I'm assuming you mean the app on the Zt60. I don't use the apps on the TV as the UI and overall experience is better with AppleTV and Roku. You're talking Amazon prime so Roku is more relevant. Are you sending the audio out from the app via Toslink or HDMI (using ARC)? I would not be surprised if the audio was down-mixed to 2.0 with the app in the TV.

I do find the Amazon prime on the Roku to be fine and I do get 5.1 audio.

Overall, having had both the AppleTV and the Roku for some time, I prefer the UI, etc of the AppleTV.

Reactions: jliedeka
#12,129 ·
I'm assuming you mean the app on the Zt60.
Yes, that's what I meant.

You're talking Amazon prime so Roku is more relevant. Are you sending the audio out from the app via Toslink or HDMI (using ARC)? I would not be surprised if the audio was down-mixed to 2.0 with the app in the TV.

I'm using Toslink. My AVR pre-dates ARC.

I do find the Amazon prime on the Roku to be fine and I do get 5.1 audio.

Overall, having had both the AppleTV and the Roku for some time, I prefer the UI, etc of the AppleTV.

Thanks. That's exactly what I wanted to know. I'm tempted by the AppleTV but even though I have a lot of Apple hardware, I'm not invested in their ecosystem.

Jim

#12,130 ·
I went to my friends house .. he has a Sharp Elite 60". I hate sharp because my dad had one and it broke in less than one year.. but I tell you the pQ was pretty good. I was a little bit shaken up because I think the picture was better than my ZT60 65". Someone tell me I'm wrong!!!!
Someone!

#12,131 · (Edited)
I went to my friends house .. he has a Sharp Elite 60". I hate sharp because my dad had one and it broke in less than one year.. but I tell you the pQ was pretty good. I was a little bit shaken up because I think the picture was better than my ZT60 65". Someone tell me I'm wrong!!!!
Someone!
I'm no expert here but IMO the ZT60 picture is more film like. Also, if you get the ZT60 professionally ISF calibrated by someone who is prominently well known and experienced in the industry, I'm going to guess your observation and opinion may change.

#12,133 ·
Someone!
Per CNET: overpriced and not as good as plasma. But to my eye, not as bad as some other LED TVs I seen. Get your set calibrated. Big step in picture quality.

#12,135 ·
Closing in on 1000 hours with no hint of IR yet. Have fully adjusted my senses to the calibration I had done at 400 hours, and the PQ continues to be even more awesome than the outstanding OOTB experience.
Just a heads up hands on word of advice........ my IR didn't happen until about 1300 hours. Being well over 1000 hours with no IR, I think I got complacent thinking I was so far past break-in I was out of the woods and had nothing to worry about, especially since my Kuro never gave me a moments issue with IR. Be careful with station logos, my IR happened from only 4 or 5 hours a night of watching the Velocity channel. It's their crappy "V" channel logo that is not 100% opaque ...... the tips are a solid silver/white and that is what burned into my set. After hundreds of hours of screen wipe and pixel flipper plus a few hundred more of regular viewing, it is about 90% gone. I can still see a faint outline on light colored solid screen material. I honestly don't know if this last 10% will fade or not...... it seems to have leveled off at this point and isn't fading any more.

John

#12,136 ·
I'm curious how he arrived at that setting. Look at a gray scale pattern and there is no change from about 70 to 100 contrast. On one hand, that indicates that the contrast needn't be any higher than 70, but it also apparently indicates that because 100 looks no different than 70 that setting it to 100 shouldn't cause any more IR than if it's set at 70 or somewhere in between. Who knows?
Vinnie won't be able to answer you. He's been permanently banned - reason unknown.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-fl...8-lg-55ea9800-55-oled-owner-s-thread-160.html

#12,137 ·
Yes, that's what I meant.

I'm using Toslink. My AVR pre-dates ARC.

Thanks. That's exactly what I wanted to know. I'm tempted by the AppleTV but even though I have a lot of Apple hardware, I'm not invested in their ecosystem.

Jim
From memory I think the audio out only delivers 2 channel sound. I could be wrong but I know this is an issue somewhere but may certainly apply here.

I use Amazon Prime too and the TV app just plain stinks. Xbox 360 app navigation is multiples better organized and easier to navigate. Can't speak to Roku or PC solution (although I do have a HTPC, just don't bother with Prime Video on it).

#12,138 ·
Someone!
Don't worry about it. Remember, perceived PQ has lots to do with calibration, ambient room light, etc. etc. Your ZT60 doesn't suffer from motion blur. It's a Plasma. The Sharp can't touch that without making it seem like the soap opera effect. Pioneer Kuro and ZT60 hands down best TVs made to date.

Reactions: rcapprotti
#12,139 ·
From memory I think the audio out only delivers 2 channel sound. I could be wrong but I know this is an issue somewhere but may certainly apply here.

I use Amazon Prime too and the TV app just plain stinks. Xbox 360 app navigation is multiples better organized and easier to navigate. Can't speak to Roku or PC solution (although I do have a HTPC, just don't bother with Prime Video on it).
I just got a Roku yesterday and haven't finished dialing it in. The Amazon Prime app is better. One notable improvement is it has my watch list. With the Panasonic app, I had to search for things before I could watch them. I still haven't found anything with more than two channels so I don't yet know if Prime movies have any other audio.

The Panasonic does output DD. I used the Netflix app and got surround. The app on my Oppo was 2-channel only.

The Roku puts out 720p/stereo out of the box. You can change the settings to 1080p/surround. Other than the better Prime app, it also has Amazon Cloud Player which I won't use a lot but is nice to have. I'm using the Media Player for DLNA, it worked fine out of the box with MediaTomb. I mainly just use it for streaming FLACs from my ripped CD collection.

Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.