Parts upgrade for older HDTV sets - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 05-28-2013, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been reading about the latest Samsung Plasma '800 set and was wondering if I could update the innards of my Samsung '58A550 with more modern electronics. I have replaced panels and boards successfully so I'm comfortable getting inside the unit. If AVS doesn't have a forum for modding and updating old units, could someone point me to one with that general body of information?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-28-2013, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 88
They now have an Evolution Kit which updates the Smart Hub and menu interface. May help with some aspects of pic quality. But only works on last year's E7000 plasma and ES7500 and ES8000 LED from what I understand. But some key electronic components on your TV could possibly be replaced, but not sure much about updating the TV to a newer model.
post #3 of 3 Old 05-29-2013, 04:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the reply. You appear to understand exactly what I mean to do. A matrix with interchangeable parts would be really useful. Ideally, sets of the same size from the same manufacturer would have the same panels and board mountings so one could 'upgrade' their older sets instead of introducing them to a landfill. Perhaps there is a repair forum where people handling the parts can begin to note the part numbers and board components so as to better understand the likely cause for the improvements we are seeing.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung 58 Inch Plasma Hdtv Pn58a550 , Samsung Pn51e7000 51 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Un60es7500 60 Inch 3d Slim Led Hdtv , Samsung Un65es8000 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page