Panasonic VT30 Plasma - 7 Blinks + Picture Issues - Page 4 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #91 of 132 Old 09-10-2014, 12:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Careful

I was going to jump on this Moduslink sale but I emailed twice and they won't respond. Then I tried to find a phone number, both were disconnected. No phone number listed on website. I'm getting leary of this company for sure now. They are not with the BBB, that number was disconnected. I have to think about this. Becky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 132 Old 09-10-2014, 04:29 PM

Liked: 10
They returned my emails quickly. I figured for $130 for the 3 boards, it was worth a try. I expect to get the boards back late next week.
post #93 of 132 Old 09-10-2014, 07:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian30tw View Post
I just wanted to follow up and say that I received my boards back from ModusLink, and I'm now back up and running. The total price was only $80. If anyone is having this issue, I highly recommend having these guys repair your boards. Thanks again for the help!
Brian,

My TV (Panasonic TC-P55VT30) fails to turn on and the red power button now blinks 7 times.

History: for the last month or so I noticed some ghosting and magenta overlays and anomalies via my Apple TV, which would settle down after a few seconds. I thought it was the 15' long HDMI cable but now I see it's associated with the 7-blink failure. Last Thursday the TV would not power on but I didn't notice any red flashes. Now, after unplugging the TV for a while and replugging in I now see the 7 flashes. After a bit of internet research, I can see this is a common problem.

Can you tell me how you got your 3 cards tested and/or fixed for $80? What did they actually do for you and how did you get the deal for $80?

Thanks,

Robert
post #94 of 132 Old 09-11-2014, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi all,

Sorry for the late reply. My total bill came out to $80 (plus, I paid an addition $25 or so to ship the boards to them) because only one of the three boards actually needed to be repaired. When I ordered from the website, I added repairs for the SD, SC, and SU boards to my cart. The total to repair all three boards, as quoted at the time, was closer to $200. But, only one of the three was damaged, and they only charged a nominal fee to test the other two to verify they were not damaged.

I had a hit-and-miss experience with their email responses. They did respond to my inquiries eventually, but this is not a big company for customer service!

Good luck to all!

Brian
post #95 of 132 Old 09-11-2014, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alagash98 View Post
I was going to jump on this Moduslink sale but I emailed twice and they won't respond. Then I tried to find a phone number, both were disconnected. No phone number listed on website. I'm getting leary of this company for sure now. They are not with the BBB, that number was disconnected. I have to think about this. Becky
For what it's worth, I was never able to get a hold of them via phone, either. While performing the repairs to my boards, they were radio silent, and I never got a return shipment verification or tracking number, either.

I can assure you, though, that they do exist, and they do great work. Your only other option is to buy a new TV!
post #96 of 132 Old 09-23-2014, 08:09 PM

Panasadness with my TC-P55VT30

Got a call from the wife today while I was at work..."The TV won't turn on" - I get home, tried the remote...nothing. I unplug/replug the set (I hear something power on inside as I plug it in). I try the remote again and then watch as the power light blinks 7 times. Being well familiar with blink codes/beeps from a lifetime with PCs, I figured I'd use the Google to see if I was the only one on the planet who's ever seen this. Happily, but sadly, I'm not. To make matters worse, it's the beginning of the Fall TV season!! UGGHH!!

Like post #6 (hey, I'm in San Jose too!), I've been seeing a similar half screen ghost image/magenta flickering/buffered text for a few days now whenever the screen image was near or totally light/white. Otherwise, the TV was behaving normally.

After digesting all 95 messages in this thread, it looks like the moduslinkptstvboards guys seem to be the bestest DiY solution. My brother has a good service guy so I'm gonna get a quote tomorrow to see what he'll charge to do the work. I'm also gonna call the Panasonic Flat Panel support number just to see if they'll throw me a bone and comp me some repair parts.

This plasma TV has been so awesome these past 3 years (I had a 200lb 35" tube for a decade or more) it greatly saddens me that such a stupid thing could take it down. Screws that somehow back out themselves? Really? I'd like to smack that Panasonic engineer upside the head.

I appreciate the time that other AVS members have taken to thoroughly and simply describe the issue and share how they resolved it. You guys rock.
post #97 of 132 Old 09-23-2014, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgfisker View Post
Got a call from the wife today while I was at work..."The TV won't turn on" - I get home, tried the remote...nothing. I unplug/replug the set (I hear something power on inside as I plug it in). I try the remote again and then watch as the power light blinks 7 times.
This is interesting, because those of us with 2006/07 Philips Ambilight 9630/31 models had a similar problem with 7 Red Blinking LEDs.

It was a circuit board but someone came to the AVS site and alerted us that we didn't need to replace the entire board, just 2 key capacitors that blew after their life expectancy was hit. Folks had been buying new circuit boards for $200 - $400 (this was a few years ago). Thanks to AVS, we were able to fix the problem for $10 for capacitors and about 45 minutes of time to unsolder the 2 bad caps and solder in the 2 new ones.

I wonder if the same thing or something similar is happening with the Panny ? What does your Master Service Manual say that the blinking code is saying ?
post #98 of 132 Old 09-25-2014, 07:06 PM

Anyone got any tips on reseating the ribbons?

Nevermind I got it. Just make sure the little tabs on the side of the ribbons are past the side bars to seat correctly.

I got my 3 boards back from Moduslink. Took advantage of their 40% off sale. Installed and everything works fine now.

Last edited by ceevee; 09-25-2014 at 08:19 PM. Reason: update
post #99 of 132 Old 10-04-2014, 02:08 AM

Panasadness with my TC-P55VT30, continued....

Well, the TV guy showed up at my house. Carried the TV to the dining room table, laid it flat on a blanket (he didn't seem concerned about it being horizontal), and removed the zillion screws (okay, not that many, but a bunch) and lifted off the back cover. He pulled out his handy dandy Fluke meter and started checking the different boards. He noted that the (SC?) board was bad, but the others appear to be okay. I checked for the loose screws that many of you had reported...these were tight AND had washers on all of them. TV guy thinks that component(s) on the board went bad. Since Panasonic no longer supplies parts (to anyone? to him?), he gets his from a company that buys them in bulk, and they're currently back-ordered (he's hoping they'll be in within 2weeks). I've attached a pic of my TV innards and the bad board he metered out indicated with the red arrow.

PhilipsPhanatic: Unfortunately, I don't have a Master Service Manual (searching the web results in plenty of sites that want to sell them to me, or links to sites with .ru or other unknown country codes that I'm hesitant to explore). The Google brought me to AVS and the info here is far better than my owners manual troubleshooting section:

Why is the screen blank and the power indicator blinking?

The TV has gone into shutdown mode to protect itself. Try
unplugging it for a few minutes and connecting it again. If
there was a temporary power surge on the AC line it may now
be OK. If the blinking returns, call 1-877-95VIERA (U.S.A.) or
1-866-330-0014 (Canada).

In the meantime, I dragged my bedroom 35" old Plasma to the family room. My wife was in her recliner, looked in the direction of the TV stand and said, "What's that spot over there?" meaning the 35" TV. Waaaa.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tv.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	167.8 KB
ID:	294034  

Last edited by tgfisker; 10-04-2014 at 02:11 AM. Reason: typos
post #100 of 132 Old 10-04-2014, 03:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 71
You can find the 55" version manual at elektrotanya dot com. just punch in the full model number. On the next screen it will say Processing near the bottom for ten seconds then it will change to Get Manual.
post #101 of 132 Old 10-07-2014, 02:24 PM

I just got my board back from Moduslink. Will probably try tonight to reinstall and test the TV. Reading back through the thread, I have a couple of questions.

1. Reconnecting the flat cables. I made a few brief attempts to connecting the flat cables. I guess I must bnot be getting the flat cable into the connector far enough as when I close the connector it wants to wants to push the cable out. Is there a special technique? I was being pretty delicate yesterday.
2. Early in the thread it mentions that a firmware upgrade must be done of the boards will be damaged again. I think the firm ware was upto date before the failure but won't know for sure until after I start back up.

Any other items I should look at before I button it up?
post #102 of 132 Old 10-07-2014, 04:24 PM

Ok Please to say that after a couple of false starts, my TV seems to be functioning once again!!!!!
As others have commented, getting the flat cable reconnected and seated correctly is a tedious job but slow and focused effort pays great rewards.

One thing I noticed is that one of the blue barrel components (upper corner of SC board) want to generate a vibration noise. Lightly pressing on it eliminates the noise but it returns when you take you finger off. It looks like there is a dab of rubbery compound between the component and the SC board, perhaps to dampen the vibration.

Is there anything I can do to minimize of eliminate the noise before I try put the back on the TV? It is loud enough that you can clearly hear it in a quiet room.

Ian

Last edited by ijourneaux1; 10-07-2014 at 09:09 PM. Reason: New status info.
post #103 of 132 Old 10-09-2014, 01:41 PM

Looking for a manual

Just last night my Panny plasma TC-P55VT30 failed with the infamous 7 blinks of death. I've read all through this forum, and am going the route of sending off my boards to moduslink for repair. Thanks to everyone for all of the great information provided in the forum. It's been very educational. It looks like in the end it should save me a lot of money to go this route instead of dumping my TV in a repair shop.

Any tips on the disassemble / reassemble process that haven't already been shared? I'm going in head first. Anyone recommend either doing the repair with the TV laying down VS keeping on the stand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNed View Post
Think someone might have e-mailed me on Yahoo regarding the service manual and I was too quick on the Spam delete. If you did, please PM me here.
CaptianNed, I could really use that repair manual you've offered up in prior posts. Could you possibly PM me with your email address, so I can email you mine and perhaps get a copy? I'm new to the forum and can't PM people until I've made 15 posts. Thanks!
best.
-Kevin
post #104 of 132 Old 10-10-2014, 05:29 PM

Liked: 11
So - we are all having this - I just got my boards back from Moduslink (who are amazing) Popped everything back together - but now I have black pin stripe lines running horizontal across a few portions of the screen - I have checked the side connections a bunch of times but can't even get the pattern to alter or change.......

Anyone had recommendations on what I can test or do to help remove these blocks of thin black lines - they do line up with the connectors on the side.......so I guess I'll keep fiddling until someone gives me better advice. Its clear the boards were fixed though from the problems I saw before the tv did the 7 blinks.

Hidden - I found it most easy to find a clear big space and do it upright on the stand then you can leave it through through shipping the boards, and testing when they come back - simple and easy. I did put the back cover back on for protection while boards were getting fixed.

(PS - huge thanks to this thread and members )
Hiddenspigot likes this.
post #105 of 132 Old 10-11-2014, 08:45 AM

Liked: 12
The lines mean that the ribbon cables are not properly seated. It takes many fiddles to get them just right and is the worst part of the fix-it job.
post #106 of 132 Old 10-11-2014, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijourneaux1 View Post
One thing I noticed is that one of the blue barrel components (upper corner of SC board) want to generate a vibration noise. Lightly pressing on it eliminates the noise but it returns when you take you finger off. It looks like there is a dab of rubbery compound between the component and the SC board, perhaps to dampen the vibration.

Is there anything I can do to minimize of eliminate the noise before I try put the back on the TV? It is loud enough that you can clearly hear it in a quiet room.

Ian
A quick dab with a hot-glue gun will shut up that inductor/choke forever. Just be sure to keep the glue ball as small as possible to avoid potential overheating issues. Over in the computer world "coil whine" is a constant complaint and hot glue is almost always the solution.
post #107 of 132 Old 10-13-2014, 05:13 PM

After much fiddling I finally got all of the pixels lighting up. Put it up on the wall and low and behold, I have a black line of pixels. After taking it down and looking at it, it is the same row I was struggling with. 6 pixel up from the bottom of the top ribbon cable. After a seocodn rowund of fiddling, I got the row working. Getting it up on the wall and the row is black again. Took it down again. This time I was able it get it to work after just a couple of attempts but based on my experience to date, I am not confident that it will be working once I get the TV back on the wall.

I did a close inspection of the ribbon cable under a magnifying glass and with the zzoom on my camera, it doesn't look like there is anything obviously wrong. Again this is strictly one row of pixels 6 pixels in from the bottom edge of the top cable.

Any thoughts on what I might be able to try to increase my chance of success?
post #108 of 132 Old 10-13-2014, 05:59 PM

Just to be sure, you are closing the ribbon-cable clamps once they're seated? I horsed mine back onto the stand with no issues once I'd gotten the cables/clamps right.

Apart from closing the clamps gently while lightly pressing the cable into the socket I'm fresh out of ideas. The fact it works at some point argues for no permanent damage, so about all I could recommend is to try not to grab that top corner while putting it back on the wall bracket.

Yeah, I know, not a lot of help there.

I am Grey. I stand between the candle and the star. We are Grey. We stand between the darkness and the light.
post #109 of 132 Old 10-13-2014, 11:28 PM

The clamp is closed and the ribbon cable seems to be aligned correctly. It it isn't there are useually more rows involved. With all of the practice I ahve had, you can tell if i isn't if ther is any type of white light refected at the edges of the cable.

Appreciate the comments though will try again tomorrow evening.

Last edited by ijourneaux1; 10-13-2014 at 11:33 PM.
post #110 of 132 Old 10-18-2014, 07:06 PM

Fixed it

Thanks to all your help and advice, and Moduslink, I fixed the panasonic 58" plasma. It is beautiful. Took 6 months to put it all together, learning, researching, and waiting for muscle to lift this huge, heavy thing off the wall to diagnosis it. I got in on the 40% off sale at Moduslink so for $132 I sent in 3 boards for test and repair. I was nervous about using them, but I took a chance and I'm so happy. TV is fixed. I'm in love with it again. I'm exhausted from this whole ordeal, but wanted to tell you.

No one can believe that I fixed a plasma tv by myself, for less than $200. I had also replaced a 4th board on the right side for about $40.

Good luck
post #111 of 132 Old 10-20-2014, 12:29 AM

My TC-P50GT30 just had a weird sound coming from the back of the tv followed with a pop sound and now I get 7 blinking lights and no picture. I was expecting for something to happen soon because during white scenes the tv was buzzing louder than usual and It would also randomly get horizontal black line going across the middle of the screen during start up and then disappear sometimes. This Tv is 3 years old and was always a defective unit that Panasonic refused to replace. What should I do?
post #112 of 132 Old 10-28-2014, 12:18 AM

After talking to Moduslink, about my problems getting the row of pixels to work, they offered to repair it under warranty (the warranty on the board repair is 6 months).

Got the board on Friday, installed on Monday, no issue with a flaky row of pixels. Finally have the TV up on the wall and working like a champ.

This go around, I got all of the ribbon cables connected right the first time. The trick is to insert the ribbon cable as far as it will go (feels like it clicks into place) then close the lever. If you look at the ribbon cable after the level is closed, you shouldn't see any light reflected on either edge of the ribbon cable. If there is, the ribbon cable is not correctly seated.

Appreciate the discussion here. Help me pull the trigger on the repair.
Ian
post #113 of 132 Old 10-28-2014, 07:22 PM

How long it take Moduslink to repair your boards and send it back? Do they provide a notification when they sending it back, because they recieved mine and in order status it just says waiting for shipment.
post #114 of 132 Old 10-30-2014, 01:44 PM

Had the $%#%$% 7 blinks yesterday. TV worked fine up until then - no color shifts or other problems.

What I am hearing here is the only option is to pull all three boards outand send out for repair. What is the consensus - if I have to farm out thelabor and pay the repair costs, and then load updated software, does anyonefeel that is worth it? It's a 58" model purchased in 2010.

Is it worth anything to anyone if I buy a new one? The wife cannot liveusing the smaller screen TV in the Bedroom
post #115 of 132 Old 11-16-2014, 07:34 PM

Panasonic screen lines after modus board

I repaired all boards after the dreaded 7 blinks. Install
Went fine. I have some lines towards the top of screen and have reset the cables 3times. Any tricks?
post #116 of 132 Old 11-19-2014, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceevee View Post
Anyone got any tips on reseating the ribbons?

Nevermind I got it. Just make sure the little tabs on the side of the ribbons are past the side bars to seat correctly.

I got my 3 boards back from Moduslink. Took advantage of their 40% off sale. Installed and everything works fine now.
Good to hear. I got my boards back from Moduslink a while ago ($110 for all 3) but I have not fetched my 55VT30 from the basement to put them back in. I bought a wrist grounding strap from Amazon - just in case.
post #117 of 132 Old 11-23-2014, 12:57 AM

55" Saga

My 55" plasma died (7 red blinks of death) about a month and a half ago. Like others have said the picture is incredible, so scrapping it was not my first choice. Called a local TV repair guy to look at it. His initial diagnosis was a bad board that when you look at the back of the tv with the back off is the large board that is on the left side attached to two other smaller boards. He tried to repair the large board twice, and then sent it out to be repaired. Ended up replacing the big board and one smaller board. Total price $400. Was it worth it - yes. The picture on these is better than just about anything else I have seen, but the fact that this is such a known issue with Panasonic is disappointing. The fact that Panasonic does not stock this part means they either ran out or refuse to acknowledge the issue. At least it is working in time for turkey/football day!
post #118 of 132 Old 11-23-2014, 04:55 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Geez, after reading all these posts it seems like my VT30 is doomed. So far I have not seen any tell-tale signs of issues; no buzzing, odd colors etc. Do you think it's worth opening up the back and looking for loose screws to tighten (with loctite)? I'm about to wall-mount this sucker and it would be infinitely easier to fix it now than when it's up on the wall. How much of a chore is opening up the back panel?

On a related subject, I had a panasonic technician come out about 2 years ago to upgrade the EEPROM with an SD card to get fix the fluctuating brightness problems these sets had. If the time comes where I need to send the three boards in for repair, will the fluctuating brightness problems come back?

Last edited by SiegeX; 11-23-2014 at 05:02 AM.
post #119 of 132 Old 11-27-2014, 02:41 PM

I just got the 7 blinking lights on my 65" VT30. I have yet to remove the back. Does anyone have a picture of the back of the TV showing the 3 boards that I will send in?

Thanks
post #120 of 132 Old 12-06-2014, 09:03 PM

It looks like I'll join the 7 lights of death club. After some brief reading the 2011 models seem to have some issues. My tc-p55gt31 was manufactured in May of 2011. Mine had shown no signs that anything was wrong and just wouldn't come on one evening. Panasonic was quick to tell me to call for a service tech and offered no other help. I'll see what the repair guys say and decide then if I want to tackle this myself. This is my second and newest Panny plasma and I've had no issues with the older one other than it takes 3 grown men to move it around. It'll soon be 8 years old and still has a great picture. Does anyone have a quick link to the service guide for this model?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt30 55 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page