Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk) - Page 106 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3151 of 7587 Old 01-16-2014, 07:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post

Does a person actually get to enjoy watching a movie when you're always looking for something wrong? If blatantly wrong, it would be a pain in the butt. But looking for minor issues would surely take away the thrill of actually watching the movie for the sake of the video and narrative!

What if something is wrong? Isn't that one of the primary benefits of shared experience with networked communities?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein View Post

iceIt,

I will try to do this over the next few days.  No promises.

By no means would I expect you to feel obligated, just a friendly request as I know 3D is important to you as well. smile.gif Also my UN really is ice-LT, not ice-IT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinmcfluffin View Post

Not that my post will really be of much help for the specific Avatar moments, but my 60" set has crosstalk up the wazoo. I think it's kind of funny though that when I set up my display on my PS3, it recognizes it as 46 inches? So I don't know if that will have anything to do with the crosstalk on my screen.

As for the brightness pops, are you getting what I get? My image actually darkens, it doesn't brighten. Anyway, if this is what you get, can you please confirm for me that it's not your screen, but rather your glasses that kind of just change their shutter or something. In which case, it's like a communication issue between the TV and and the glasses. I've tried it on three different glasses models, too. All of them do the same thing.

I as well use a PS3 slim as my transport, but for the 60E8000 that this F8500 replaced I had zero 3D crosstalk or really any 3D issues using the same PS3 (same cables even). I suppose that is really driving my dogged pursuit of feedback from other owner's of F8500's.

On the brightness issue, I might be seeing the same thing. Maybe it is more accurate to describe it as a brightness fluctuation? Either way for me, only with CS turned off, I see regular fluctuations in brightness that I do not see at all with CS turned on. Also I tried the test noted above with each of the 4 pairs of glasses that came with my TV and the results were consistent for each. I am very tempted now to visit a local BestBuy and see if their floor 8500's have similar issues with 3D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickardl View Post

Not Ronald but I did check the scenes with my European 64F8500 / BDP-103D, FWIW,
1. no crosstalk or oddities with or without Cinema Smooth
2. no crosstalk or oddities with or without Cinema Smooth but I did see some light fluctuating with Cinema Smooth turned Off. I guess that I have seen the dreaded 3D brightness "pops" for the first time?
Anyway, not an issue since I always have Cinema Smooth enabled.

Thank you very much for the feedback rickardl. I'm encouraged to hear you don't see any crosstalk, that does give me hope. biggrin.gif Also yeah the fluctuating light levels with CS off must be what I'm describing as brightness pops. Good to know it's not just my eyes. wink.gif Thanks again for the report.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3152 of 7587 Old 01-16-2014, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:

And you don't have any sort of "motion sickness" when watching 3D with CS enabled?

I don't know if you want to test this again or whatever, but watch something in 3D (pretty carefully I might add) with CS on, then with CS off. Don't look for things like crosstalk or brightness pops, just watch the film. Look at that weird... I don't know what else to call it other than a "flicker"... when CS is turned on. That's what I felt forever with my D7000 when I said: "You know, I like 3D but I can't help but think this is a little straining to watch." I then realized when I turned CS off, my eyes got so much more relaxed. No flicker, perfect motion.

It's just funny that I have to exact opposite effect with 2D, though. I need CS to be on for 2D Blu-rays always, otherwise I get that same problem with CS off as far as "motion sickness" or what have you.
No, we watched both Titanic and Avatar during the last weekend with CS enabled, both pretty long movies, and it was fine, no motion sickness or similar.
Haven't watched any 3D with CS disabled except the sequences I tested above so I can't say much about it.
The effect with 2D blu-rays with CS disabled is that it looks more like video instead of film, the motion looks very non-film like,
I suspect it should be the same with 3D. I might test some more later.

Edit: by the way, you haven't got Left / Right reversed by mistake?
post #3153 of 7587 Old 01-16-2014, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickardl View Post

No, we watched both Titanic and Avatar during the last weekend with CS enabled, both pretty long movies, and it was fine, no motion sickness or similar.
Haven't watched any 3D with CS disabled except the sequences I tested above so I can't say much about it.
The effect with 2D blu-rays with CS disabled is that it looks more like video instead of film, the motion looks very non-film like,
I suspect it should be the same with 3D. I might test some more later.

You'd be surprised. I really feel the opposite effect going when I watch 3D with CS off. It just feels right for me. But you're absolutely right with 2D.
post #3154 of 7587 Old 01-16-2014, 07:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 82

I am watching 3D with film mode and Cinema Smooth ON.

No problems.  Absolutely no cross-talk.  The 3D on this display is superior to the ZT60, though I didn't have any crosstalk problems on that display either.

I am going to look at Prometheus later today as that seems to be a problem child for some.

post #3155 of 7587 Old 01-16-2014, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am watching 3D with film mode and Cinema Smooth ON.

No problems.  Absolutely no cross-talk.  The 3D on this display is superior to the ZT60, though I didn't have any crosstalk problems on that display either.

I am going to look at Prometheus later today as that seems to be a problem child for some.

You won't experience many technical issues with CS on, if any at all. I sure didn't. I just can't watch 3D with CS on, that's all.
post #3156 of 7587 Old 01-16-2014, 07:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:

Not that my post will really be of much help for the specific Avatar moments, but my 60" set has crosstalk up the wazoo. I think it's kind of funny though that when I set up my display on my PS3, it recognizes it as 46 inches? So I don't know if that will have anything to do with the crosstalk on my screen.

I'd take a close look at that 46" display recognition on your 60" display. That may have something to do with the crosstalk.
icelt likes this.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #3157 of 7587 Old 01-16-2014, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

I'd take a close look at that 46" display recognition on your 60" display. That may have something to do with the crosstalk.

That's a really good reminder actually. I am going to do the exact same thing and make certain my PS3 is set for the proper 3D display size of my 8500. Thanks.
post #3158 of 7587 Old 01-16-2014, 08:28 AM
Advanced Member

Are there official 3D settings to be found anywhere for this display? I am still using out-of-the-box settings and thus far I am pleased.
post #3159 of 7587 Old 01-16-2014, 08:35 AM

@ Ronald

Here is a link to Kevin Miller's settings that I am currently using:
http://www.tweaktv.com/in-dspth-hdtv-reviews/preliminary-review-of-samsungs-new-pn60f8500-plasma.html

For 3D here is the direct link:
http://www.tweaktv.com/images/stories/EditorialImages/KevinMiller/Samsung/pn60f8500%20%20movie%203d%203-23-13.pdf

Although I didn't see it mentioned specifically in his report I'm pretty certain it is important to turn off all the modes/tweaks listed in the Advanced Settings sub-menu. Looks pretty good on my set, hopefully it works for you as well.
post #3160 of 7587 Old 01-16-2014, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Received a call from Samsung re my P64F8500. (They read me posts?)

Told them I took it to the repair depot Monday Morning. They were going to call Stringer, then get back to me.

Re CrossTalk - When you push your connect button on the 3D Glasses, are you getting the popup in the lower left corner that the glasses are Connected, before proceeding to watch your 3D movie?
post #3161 of 7587 Old 01-16-2014, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

Icelt,

First, apologize for getting your nickname wrong. 

Secondly, I must sound like an idiot, but I don't understand that calibration report.  I am more used to having a single sheet of settings to work off of.  What you presented me with -- initially -- looks rather complicated.  

Is there a better translation of those settings?

Thanks

post #3162 of 7587 Old 01-16-2014, 09:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Ronald I would really appreciate it if you could test a couple of scenes in 3D on Avatar for me since you are reporting no noticeable cross talk.

Test 1 - The movie opening with the 20th Century Fox logo. Specifically wait until the text "A News Corporation Company" is displayed, pause the movie and let me know if you see ghosting/crosstalk behind the ANCC text?

Test 2 - With the Film Mode set to Off chapter skip once (to time stamp 6:19) and report back if you see any brightness pops as the Colonel walks towards the front of the room. Also note if anything (ie the back of his boots, the side of his camo pants, the back of his head) in the foreground looks out of focus or slightly amiss. Then go back and watch the exact same footage with Film Mode set to Cinemasmooth.

Basically on my 60" I am seeing intermittent crosstalk, but not necessarily distracting, and a significant degradation of image quality including brightness pops with Film Mode set to off. Hopefully if you can confirm or deny how your new F8500 performs on these same scenes would help me determine if I might have a 3D hardware issue or not. smile.gif

Icelt,

Since you have been good to me, and I like you, I decided to spend some time and look at AVATAR.

First of all, I have to say, if you don't have Cinema Smooth enabled while watching this film, it looks like a video game.  

Let's start with the Fox logo at the front of the movie.  When I paused it in both CS ON and Film Mode off, there was no crosstalk while on pause.  In fact, the entire logo screen looked perfectly, crystal clear and clean.

Jumping to the first chapter...

Yes, with Film Mode off, once the camera pans upwards from the colonel's walking feet, you notice bright spots around the heads of the seated/standing soldiers.  However, I attributed that at first to the fact that you have a huge window with open blinds with lots of light coming in.

However, once I turned Cinema Smooth on and looked at that scene again, it looked more normalized.  The spots of light weren't even noticeable.

I don't quite understand why people are watching 3D with CS off.  However...who knows...maybe I am the guy who is viewing it wrong.

All I can tell you is this...

I own Prometheus.  Hate the movie.  I am mad that I ever bought it blindly.  However, I popped it in to see if there were any bright spots in the opening scenes.  With CS on, there were none.  I didn't try it with Film Mode off.

But I have to say...

I never liked the 3D of this film on my old LG display.  Never watched it on the ZT60.  However, I sat there today and watched a good 20 minutes of a film I really hated just because it looked so incredible in 3D, in a way I never noticed before.

I'm a 3D guy.  I write 3D reviews for my website.  I own over a hundred 3D titles.  You can guess how important 3D is to me.  I know it isn't as important for just about everyone else...

This Samsung beats the living sh*t out of every set I have owned when it comes to 3D (and 2D as well).  The ZT60 was incapable of pushing enough luminance to make the picture really pop and show real depth.  It is remarkably better on this Samsung.

sneakking likes this.
post #3163 of 7587 Old 01-16-2014, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post

Received a call from Samsung re my P64F8500. (They read me posts?)

I'm trying to work out how they can call you after reading a post you made. Perhaps they put two and two together to see that a service call with your description was you?

/confused....
post #3164 of 7587 Old 01-16-2014, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 50

Seeing this is an owners thread, how many of you owners have installed external cooling fans on the rear vents??

post #3165 of 7587 Old 01-16-2014, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

You'd be surprised. I really feel the opposite effect going when I watch 3D with CS off. It just feels right for me. But you're absolutely right with 2D.
I can't agree more. When I had the f8500 I has to have the CS on for 2D and off for 3D. If I did the opposite, there was way too much soap opera or video game look to it.
post #3166 of 7587 Old 01-16-2014, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Icelt,

Secondly, I must sound like an idiot, but I don't understand that calibration report.  I am more used to having a single sheet of settings to work off of.  What you presented me with -- initially -- looks rather complicated.  

Is there a better translation of those settings?

Thanks
Not a complete list of settings but...

Picture Mode: Movie 3D
Cell Light: 20
Brightness: 46
Contrast: 100
Sharpness: 0
Color: 50
Tint: G50/R50

White Balance:
Red Offset: 19
Green Offset: 25
Blue Offset: 22
Red Gain: 10
Green Gain: 25
Blue Gain: 20

Gamma: *-3

Color Tone: Warm 2
post #3167 of 7587 Old 01-16-2014, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't quite understand why people are watching 3D with CS off.  However...who knows...maybe I am the guy who is viewing it wrong.
Nope, you are not...
post #3168 of 7587 Old 01-16-2014, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I also watch 3D with CS on because to me at least, it looks like video with CS off.
post #3169 of 7587 Old 01-16-2014, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I also watch 3D with CS on because to me at least, it looks like video with CS off.

Thank God I'm feeling normal.  It does look like video with CS off.  And, I suppose you do get what is being described as abnormal brightness pops.  

Rickard, thank you for those settings, but should I be playing with my 3D settings if they aren't entirely complete?  I don't know if I should be plugging in those numbers without having the full spreadsheet.

...but thank you nonetheless.

post #3170 of 7587 Old 01-16-2014, 11:27 AM

Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by KONICA TECH View Post

Seeing this is an owners thread, how many of you owners have installed external cooling fans on the rear vents??

No need for me. I don't drive it hard enough and also have it placed in an open environment.
post #3171 of 7587 Old 01-16-2014, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieandchips View Post

No need for me. I don't drive it hard enough and also have it placed in an open environment.

I was referring to this post.........http://www.avsforum.com/t/1463454/official-samsung-pnxxf8500-series-discussion-thread-no-street-price-talk/2610#post_23205805

Have you checked your panel temp, with cell light at 20 which most people post say they are using in 3D mode it seems it would climb higher than 40C.

post #3172 of 7587 Old 01-16-2014, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

Oh don't get me wrong, I've changed the size settings from 46" to 60" and the other way around... no difference. I just wonder what it means that it's recognized that way.
post #3173 of 7587 Old 01-16-2014, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't quite understand why people are watching 3D with CS off.

As I said, it's nauseating. It has been since the first time I watched one on my D7000. I loved the effect for the first time ever, but damn there is a strange rapid flicker/pixel oscillation that goes on with CS on. This is both with my D7000 and F8500. Finally I figured out last year that turning CS off in 3D alleviated this. No more eye strain, no more forcing myself to watch something in 3D "just because." Now it's actually possible.

Although, can anyone else confirm that CS on and off really changes the colors around when watching in 3D on the F8500?
post #3174 of 7587 Old 01-16-2014, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank God I'm feeling normal.  It does look like video with CS off.  And, I suppose you do get what is being described as abnormal brightness pops.  

Rickard, thank you for those settings, but should I be playing with my 3D settings if they aren't entirely complete?  I don't know if I should be plugging in those numbers without having the full spreadsheet.

...but thank you nonetheless.
You can use the settings you have for the normal Movie mode (2D) and use those as the base.
And then add the ones I posted which I presume are only those which differ from the normal 2D settings.
I haven't tried those so I can't tell you if they are "good".
post #3175 of 7587 Old 01-16-2014, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

Me. for one.

I have 8 fans on the back of my 64" F8500. That is mostly due to a mistake. Because they were half the price of the 120MM fans, I bought 4 80MMs, but at any setting over 1/4 speed their noise drives me crazy. So 4 120MM fans, as recommended by JRWALKER, were added. At a 12 foot viewing distance, I can't hear them even at full speed. WALKER's recommendation for the USB hub is also "right on"; I still can't find anything cheaper that has enough amps to power the fans.

The reason for installing the fans is that I started running D-Nice's slides when the set was new with a cell of around 13 and contrast around 85 (failing memory...) and the panel went to 43 C within 15 minutes. While waiting for the 80MM fans and the USB powered hub, cell was never set higher than 8 (Yuk).

With those 8 fans running (120s at full speed and 80s at 1/4 or so) and a room temperature of about 21 C, the "Mute 7 3 7 Enter" display is in the range of 29 to 33 C with any cell and contrast settings I care to run. When the room temp goes higher, of course so does the panel temp, but since the fans were installed I've never seen 40 C. The 3D glasses are still in the box they came in, so panel temperature while viewing 3D content is not known.

The only downside is that I had no way other than a switched outlet to toggle power to the hub so that the fans only run when the set is on.

Potentially useful stuff,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3176 of 7587 Old 01-16-2014, 03:26 PM

Liked: 38
Ok ,My vt60 went bad and magnolia is replaceing it 1) i have option of upgrade to a ZT cause there is no more VT Or i can get F8500...i know Blacks i will or may not notice the difference,But what else? 2) Is there a link to settings to do for slides to age panel fast so before inventory is out in my area,I did d-nice slides on vt60 so want to do same on sammy . if i do not decide to get ZT...hopefully someone that had zt and switch to F8500 has advice also thanks in advance..

64f8500
oppo bdp-103
Denon avr 1803
Energy speakers
Energy sub
Dual recliner lazyboy
xbox 360
post #3177 of 7587 Old 01-16-2014, 05:26 PM

Quote:

Icelt,

No worries at all. I just thought that since you made the effort to demonstrateably interpret how my nickname didn't look quite right to you that I'd be remiss to not inform you otherwise. So really, I appreciate you even thought twice about it. Respect smile.gif

Quote:

Icelt,

Since you have been good to me, and I like you, I decided to spend some time and look at AVATAR.

First of all, I have to say, if you don't have Cinema Smooth enabled while watching this film, it looks like a video game.  

Let's start with the Fox logo at the front of the movie.  When I paused it in both CS ON and Film Mode off, there was no crosstalk while on pause.  In fact, the entire logo screen looked perfectly, crystal clear and clean.

Jumping to the first chapter...

Yes, with Film Mode off, once the camera pans upwards from the colonel's walking feet, you notice bright spots around the heads of the seated/standing soldiers.  However, I attributed that at first to the fact that you have a huge window with open blinds with lots of light coming in.

However, once I turned Cinema Smooth on and looked at that scene again, it looked more normalized.  The spots of light weren't even noticeable.

All I can tell you is this...

I own Prometheus.  Hate the movie.  I am mad that I ever bought it blindly.  However, I popped it in to see if there were any bright spots in the opening scenes.  With CS on, there were none.  I didn't try it with Film Mode off.

But I have to say...

I never liked the 3D of this film on my old LG display.  Never watched it on the ZT60.  However, I sat there today and watched a good 20 minutes of a film I really hated just because it looked so incredible in 3D, in a way I never noticed before.

I'm a 3D guy.  I write 3D reviews for my website.  I own over a hundred 3D titles.  You can guess how important 3D is to me.  I know it isn't as important for just about everyone else...

This Samsung beats the living sh*t out of every set I have owned when it comes to 3D (and 2D as well).  The ZT60 was incapable of pushing enough luminance to make the picture really pop and show real depth.  It is remarkably better on this Samsung.

Thank you very much Ronald for humoring my request. It is a bit soothing for me to hear that you noticed at least some of the issues I was seeing with CinemaSmooth turned off. Independent verification that we are not insane is always a bonus right?! Lol.

Edit...
Oh yeah, I'm stoked that you are quite happy with the 3D performance of your F8500. I know that was a bit of a concern for you prior to receipt, so congrats on receiving a seemingly flawless example!!

Anyway thanks again to the poster for reminding us/me to check the 3D display size setting of the PS3. I re-ran the setup and indeed it was defaulting to 46". Now that setting is correct the ghosting I am seeing has noticeably decreased, however it wasn't eliminated. Still a bit frustrating, but at least things have noticeably improved. Next step for me is to try out Avatar in 3D at a brick and mortar and see if other sets have more or less inherent crosstalk.

Interestingly I can eliminate the "News Corporation" text crosstalk to at the very beginning of Avatar by setting the 3D depth to +2. Unfortunately the consequence is that images in the background exhibit more crosstalk. Right now for my tastes +1 is the best compromise but if zero crosstalk is indeed legitimately possible that will by my goal. We will see.
post #3178 of 7587 Old 01-16-2014, 06:24 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:

LOL, I was gonna say that this would be some ghetto sh*t. But then someone above me replied they installed 8 freaking fans. Double LOL. Why, Why, Why! If it comes to a point where your TV is boiling hot, you'd be better off spending your money on something else.
post #3179 of 7587 Old 01-16-2014, 06:25 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by amercnchopz34 View Post

Ordered my 65f8500 today...I'm picking it up at Best buy this weekend...do ends my issue with the f9000 4k...3 returned due to flashlighting. ...
Used gift cards from Christmas. .

Was weighing between zt60 and f8500

Hope I made the right choice....

I also returned my F9000 due to various pic quality issues and got the F8500.   No regrets at all...  

post #3180 of 7587 Old 01-16-2014, 07:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanes View Post

LOL, I was gonna say that this would be some ghetto sh*t. But then someone above me replied they installed 8 freaking fans. Double LOL. Why, Why, Why! If it comes to a point where your TV is boiling hot, you'd be better off spending your money on something else.

Somehow him and a few others have it in their head that if the internal temps rise above 40C that you may damage the panel and other circuitry. It was brought to my attention so I am checking to see if other owners are added external fans also.

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Pn60f8500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page