Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk) - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 7605 Old 06-15-2013, 10:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremola View Post

Just walked out of Magnolia/BB, my 64" should be delivered on Wednesday!

A little scared...this is the first TV I've owned in 11 years. My last set was a 32" JVC tube.

So, where do I see about calibration? =] Any of the popular forum calibrators make it to Los Angeles? How much does that normally cost?
David Abrams lives there. D-Nice and UMR do tours. Ask them what they charge for the work you want done.

David Abrams dave@avical.com

D-Nice (DeWayne Davis) d-nice@audiovideofidelity.com

UMR (Jeff Meier) jeff@accucalhd.com

Calibration Resources:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 7605 Old 06-15-2013, 11:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just received my 64F8500 today. I've been playing around with it love it so far except for one annoying issue. I have all my sources feeding into a Pioneer SC 1222-K AV receiver which outputs to HDMI3 on the TV. Frequently when I change sources on the Pioneer it takes so long that the TV puts up a message box "STB Check the device is connected properly, then try turning on the device by selecting the button below.". It times out after 60 seconds but I either have to wait or search for my Samsung remote to hit the Enter key. Does anyone know how to disable this popup?
post #363 of 7605 Old 06-16-2013, 12:04 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregc5985 View Post

I just received my 64F8500 today. I've been playing around with it love it so far except for one annoying issue. I have all my sources feeding into a Pioneer SC 1222-K AV receiver which outputs to HDMI3 on the TV. Frequently when I change sources on the Pioneer it takes so long that the TV puts up a message box "STB Check the device is connected properly, then try turning on the device by selecting the button below.". It times out after 60 seconds but I either have to wait or search for my Samsung remote to hit the Enter key. Does anyone know how to disable this popup?
Why not find out what's causing the delay? I'm not an owner, but it's probably not your TV that's causing the problem.

Calibration Resources:

post #364 of 7605 Old 06-16-2013, 06:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 49
OK just checked the software update and there is an update for the European version. 1103. My current version is 1102. It is being downloaded now.
Did anybody get this update?

As of June 2013:
2,712 Bluray movies
1,593 DVD movies
356 bluray+DVD series
1,322 bluray+DVD Anime
post #365 of 7605 Old 06-16-2013, 07:38 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 49
There is slight improvement in PQ. Dont know what exactly but I can notice it.
Before the update I was watching DVD of Dr. Quinn and paused it to do the update. After the update done I could notice a better PQ. smile.gif

When updating to 1102 I did not notice any PQ improvements, but definitly I can see it with 1103

As of June 2013:
2,712 Bluray movies
1,593 DVD movies
356 bluray+DVD series
1,322 bluray+DVD Anime
post #366 of 7605 Old 06-16-2013, 08:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremola View Post

A little scared...this is the first TV I've owned in 11 years. My last set was a 32" JVC tube.
What is there to be scared about, you are buying one of the best TV's made wink.gif

Forum Sponsor // \\

1-866-651-0049 // \\

/
/

/

/
post #367 of 7605 Old 06-16-2013, 08:27 AM

Liked: 26
Quote:

My set does the same thing. I noticed this after the last firmware update so I suspect it is a bug.
post #368 of 7605 Old 06-16-2013, 08:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked: 1081
Quote:

This sounds like an issue with HDMI switching on the Pioneer. I used to have a Pioneer Elite receiver and although it had great sound, it took a long time to switch HDMI inputs. Additionally, I'd get occasional HDMI handshake issues where the screen would just go green on my Pioneer Pro151 plasma. I switched to a Yamaha receiver and have much quicker (no, not 'quick') input changes and never get that message you're seeing.

You might want to try a different HDMI input on the 8500. Give HDMI 1 a shot and see what happens, but I suspect it's the receiver's slow switching.
post #369 of 7605 Old 06-16-2013, 11:24 AM

Need some help, I took delivery of my 60" 8500 yesterday. I was not home to receive it so I had my girlfriend do it for me. First it appears the box was opened then closed again with new tape. I called best buy who said that they open ALL tvs to confirm the screen is not cracked. Is this true, has this happened with anyone else????? The tv works fine, but there is a blemish on the silver bezel about 2.5-3". What should I do, should I retune and exchange or just keep it. I would hate for the next one to have some other issues. I'm so confused right now.
post #370 of 7605 Old 06-16-2013, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halimali View Post

Before the update I was watching DVD of Dr. Quinn and paused it to do the update. After the update done I could notice a better PQ. smile.gif

When updating to 1102 I did not notice any PQ improvements, but definitly I can see it with 1103

There's no new updates available in the UK yet, still on 1102 both online and via the Samsung UK site. Which country are you in?

Panasonic TXP65VT65B, Samsung BD-C5900, HT-D455, DA-E670, Galaxy S4, Iphone 5, 10.1" Tab 2. SKY HD. Atollo LED light strips, Philips Living Colours Lamp, Harmony One Remote.
post #371 of 7605 Old 06-16-2013, 12:04 PM

My 64" F8500 was delivered yesterday from Best Buy. The delivery guys cut two nylon straps holding the box closed, undid the four plastic holders along the bottom of the box, and then lifted the cardboard box off the TV. The TV was held in place by big blocks of foam and had that thin sticky-wrap around the top, sides, and bottom. In fact, I got a little perturbed when I discovered after they had left that they hadn't peeled the wrap off before screwing on the base. I luckily was able to pull it out without disassembling.

If it was me, considering all I have read on this forum and others, and the set works well without excessive buzzing (or in my case, any buzzing), and just has a blemish on the bezel, I'd just live with the cosmetic imperfection. Who knows, it might give you a story to tell at some point in the future. smile.gif
post #372 of 7605 Old 06-16-2013, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

This sounds like an issue with HDMI switching on the Pioneer. I used to have a Pioneer Elite receiver and although it had great sound, it took a long time to switch HDMI inputs. Additionally, I'd get occasional HDMI handshake issues where the screen would just go green on my Pioneer Pro151 plasma. I switched to a Yamaha receiver and have much quicker (no, not 'quick') input changes and never get that message you're seeing.

You might want to try a different HDMI input on the 8500. Give HDMI 1 a shot and see what happens, but I suspect it's the receiver's slow switching.

I'm positive my issue is because of the slow way my AV receiver cycles through the inputs. It is slow because my Harmony remote profile doesn't have all the inputs programmed as direct-dial so it has to round-robin through the list. After I found the IR programming codes for this receiver online this morning I sent an email to the Logitech Tech Support to see if they can give me a new profile. Once I have that I can redo my remote's programming to go direct from InputA to InputC without having to cycle through InputB. That may solve the problem.

I need to use HDMI3 because I'm using the ARC feature...

Thanks for the advice.
post #373 of 7605 Old 06-16-2013, 12:30 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Is it possible to purchase the Samsung remote for this set that has all of the buttons? I don't much care for the one that came with the set and having to use the on-screen menus for things like entering numbers.

Thanks!

Regards, Frederick C. Wilt
post #374 of 7605 Old 06-16-2013, 12:55 PM

Liked: 169
post #375 of 7605 Old 06-16-2013, 01:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieandchips View Post

^Yep.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1467675/f8500-recommended-settings-thread/1020#post_23429625
Courtesy of LarryInRI.

Thanks much!

post #376 of 7605 Old 06-16-2013, 03:54 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:

I just started noticing this annoyance also when I turn my AVR on. Strange because I updated awhile back, but just started notcing it.
post #377 of 7605 Old 06-17-2013, 12:18 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

My 64" F8500 was delivered yesterday from Best Buy. The delivery guys cut two nylon straps holding the box closed, undid the four plastic holders along the bottom of the box, and then lifted the cardboard box off the TV. The TV was held in place by big blocks of foam and had that thin sticky-wrap around the top, sides, and bottom. In fact, I got a little perturbed when I discovered after they had left that they hadn't peeled the wrap off before screwing on the base. I luckily was able to pull it out without disassembling.

If it was me, considering all I have read on this forum and others, and the set works well without excessive buzzing (or in my case, any buzzing), and just has a blemish on the bezel, I'd just live with the cosmetic imperfection. Who knows, it might give you a story to tell at some point in the future. smile.gif

I tend to agree with what greg said, but i had exact same problem with my d8000 and they were able to come to the house and replace the bezel. After the samsung tech got here it turned out they forgot to put some screws in the bezel on the bottom , with adittional new screws put in bezel was fine.
So I suggest to call samsung repair center and have the come to youre house and replace the bezel if needed. That waay you keep youre good tv.

Rob
post #378 of 7605 Old 06-17-2013, 09:48 AM
AVS Club Gold

Does anyone find the stand is allowing the whole thing (set and stand) to rock back and forth? I've had to shim the back of the stand about 1/2" to keep things steady. Clearly the bottom of my stand is not flat.

post #379 of 7605 Old 06-17-2013, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcwilt View Post

Does anyone find the stand is allowing the whole thing (set and stand) to rock back and forth? I've had to shim that back of the stand about 1/2" to keep things steady. Clearly the bottom of my stand is not flat.
half an inch eek.gif that sounds excessive.... not normal

Samsung PN51F8500. Marantz SR5008. Oppo BDP 103D. Sony BDP S5100. Emp Tek E55TIB LR, E5CIB, E55WIB. Sennheiser Momentum. Sennheiser 598.
post #380 of 7605 Old 06-17-2013, 12:02 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcwilt View Post

Does anyone find the stand is allowing the whole thing (set and stand) to rock back and forth? I've had to shim that back of the stand about 1/2" to keep things steady. Clearly the bottom of my stand is not flat.

There is a slight rock to mine, but nothing excessive and nothing I have to worry about to be honest. It is not as solid as my Samsung DLP that is replaced, but that thing is super thick compared to this PDP, so not really a great comparison.

I don't have any concern with worrying about it being bumped and knocked over or anything like that.

Phil

Samsung PN60F8500 (Calibrated and bought from Value Electronics) -

Sony BDP-S5100
Tivo HD with 1TB HDD
Tivo Series-3 with 1 TB HDD
Onkyo TX-SR606 A/V Receiver with 5.1 Onkyo speakers.
post #381 of 7605 Old 06-17-2013, 12:33 PM
AVS Club Gold

I wasn't thinking there was any chance of it falling over, just thought the rocking was a bit odd. Perhaps there are manufacturing issues.

Thanks to all.

post #382 of 7605 Old 06-17-2013, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 173
fwiw, my 51" set has been on for 6 hours now and panel temperature is only 46! it seems to hover around 43 to 46 most of the time. cell 18, contrast 94, bright 46, not wall mounted. NO fans needed wink.gifwink.gif

Samsung PN51F8500. Marantz SR5008. Oppo BDP 103D. Sony BDP S5100. Emp Tek E55TIB LR, E5CIB, E55WIB. Sennheiser Momentum. Sennheiser 598.
post #383 of 7605 Old 06-17-2013, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

1103 was released yesterday in Australia.
Looks like this may have fixed the brightness level changes I was seeing with 3D content. Still more testing to do, but initial results are good smile.gif
post #384 of 7605 Old 06-17-2013, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a/v@ p/v View Post

Need some help, I took delivery of my 60" 8500 yesterday. I was not home to receive it so I had my girlfriend do it for me. First it appears the box was opened then closed again with new tape. I called best buy who said that they open ALL tvs to confirm the screen is not cracked. Is this true, has this happened with anyone else????? The tv works fine, but there is a blemish on the silver bezel about 2.5-3". What should I do, should I retune and exchange or just keep it. I would hate for the next one to have some other issues. I'm so confused right now.

So best buy insisted that I take a new tv, they said "we want you to have a perfect tv with NO issues". So now I will get a new one this Wednesday. Just hoping the new one does nor have any screen issues or worse any BUZZING. Im crossing my fingers that I get a good one.
post #385 of 7605 Old 06-17-2013, 11:43 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:

OK just checked the software update and there is an update for the European version. 1103. My current version is 1102. It is being downloaded now.
Did anybody get this update?

Hali,
we dont seem to have the update for download on either the UK or NL samsung sites, is this an over the air update / automatic or a download version???

THX

Rob
post #386 of 7605 Old 06-18-2013, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Can someone comment on IR specifically with games? I currently have a Pioneer Kuro that has zero IR no matter how long I play a game or have a static image on the screen. I have seen good/bad issues with Panasonic with regard to IR. Also, reading about the gaming input lag on this set worries me a bit. Is it really an issue? My kids will be playing their games (mario zelda, skylanders) while I play mine (Last of Us, Uncharted, Madden) so I was wondering how big of a problem it is. Thanks in advance!
post #387 of 7605 Old 06-18-2013, 06:47 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOTR View Post

Can someone comment on IR specifically with games? I currently have a Pioneer Kuro that has zero IR no matter how long I play a game or have a static image on the screen. I have seen good/bad issues with Panasonic with regard to IR. Also, reading about the gaming input lag on this set worries me a bit. Is it really an issue? My kids will be playing their games (mario zelda, skylanders) while I play mine (Last of Us, Uncharted, Madden) so I was wondering how big of a problem it is. Thanks in advance!

We have two older Panasonic plasmas from '08 and they have serious IR issues, nothing permanent but after using them for a while there is always major IR that corrects itself in an hour or two. We have only had our F8500 for a couple weeks but I have not seen any IR at all so far.
post #388 of 7605 Old 06-18-2013, 07:09 AM

Liked: 32
After much testing, I have found Sharpness of 5 to be correct for my set. Any lower edges blur, any higher ringing begins.

26 What good will it be for a man if he gains the whole world, yet forfeits his soul? Or what can a man give in exchange for his soul?

Matthew 16:26 NIV
post #389 of 7605 Old 06-18-2013, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbsocal View Post

We have two older Panasonic plasmas from '08 and they have serious IR issues, nothing permanent but after using them for a while there is always major IR that corrects itself in an hour or two. We have only had our F8500 for a couple weeks but I have not seen any IR at all so far.

That's good to know. Thanks!
post #390 of 7605 Old 06-18-2013, 09:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked: 1081
Quote:
Originally Posted by shpankey View Post

After much testing, I have found Sharpness of 5 to be correct for my set. Any lower edges blur, any higher ringing begins.

Using a test pattern or observing actual content? The reason I say that is I've found with most displays I've owned, I can see ringing on test patterns long before I see it on actual content. I find the additional sharpness provides greater apparent detail without artifacts on actual content.

YMMV.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Pn60f8500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page