Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk) - Page 154 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #4591 of 7197 Old 03-05-2014, 07:42 AM
Senior Member
 
icelt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 414
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by amercnchopz34 View Post

I do not do a lot of 3D viewing.....just want to view blu ray, sports etc....maybe I should have kept the panny.....i hope this set works...i live smart features

I have heard people say that blu ray viewing is less spectacular than on the zt.....

Not trying start anything ...just want to make the best choice

All the BR's that I've watched on my 3 month old 60F8500 have looked phenomenal. Just my 2 cents. However to echo Ronald you just might want to give 3D on this set another try, it just might surprise you wink.gif
icelt is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4592 of 7197 Old 03-05-2014, 08:06 AM
Senior Member
 
amercnchopz34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 203
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
3D has never been my thing but will try

Thanks

Just want to solve issue with eye strain
amercnchopz34 is offline  
post #4593 of 7197 Old 03-05-2014, 08:16 AM
Member
 
EyeInSky1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15

Hello everyone,

 

I recently purchased my first plasma TV.  It is the 60" F8500 series, and right now I'm going through the break-in period.  My brightness, cell light, and contrast are all down to 50% values from factory defaults.  And I must say the picture looks spectacular even at those settings.  I've gotten so used to the flaws of LCD (very minor ones) that I continue to be amazed when I suddenly notice I've been staring at a plasma for a long time and not a single moment of banding, flashlighting, motion judder (I currently have it set to cinema smooth and works well as it doesn't produce any soap opera effect), blooming, and the other anomalies I would infrequently see on most LCD's.  Even the motion itself appears subtlety more smooth and fluid.  My eyes & brain can't immediately see motion difference between plasma and LCD.  The 3:2 pulldown is a great trick, but the plasma doesn't have the "aftertaste" of extremely slight jerkiness that LCD's have.  I actually find there is LESS eye fatigue while watching plasma than with watching LCD.

 

I saw the rear glow device.  It does look cool, but for me is probably only something I would get if I'm experiencing the eye fatigue the other uses are speaking of.  I do have some very dim ambient light during movies, but have no problem watching the set in the dark too.

 

But I do have some other F8500 related questions I was hoping the users on this thread can help me with:

 

1)  I don't believe my Oppo blu-ray player has a looping function.  I would like to continue breaking in the TV while I'm sleeping at night so that it can complete the 100-200 hrs faster.  I was thinking of using D-Nice's picture slides overnight and watching TV or movie content that fills the screen while awake.  I PM'd D-Nice directly about a week ago but haven't gotten a reply yet.  DOES ANYONE HAVE A LINK TO WHERE I CAN DOWNLOAD THESE PICTURE SLIDES?  Apparently they are designed to help break the television in as well as troubleshoot to see if there are dead pixels and things of that nature.

 

2)  I have the 60" set, and I do notice quite a bit of buzzing.  I mostly hear it from the rear vent holes of the back panel but can also easily hear it if I'm dead center in front of the TV (that's not good).  If I'm off at an angle the volume diminishes a lot but while dead center (at eye level) it's almost like the TV acts as a dish amplifier projecting the buzz signal (lol).  I've heard some reports this buzz will diminish within a couple weeks of time.  I also heard the 51" and 64" is less prone to buzzing.  Some claim their unit is 100% quiet with no buzz at all (lucky bastards - lol).  I'm trying to decide early on if I should exchange this unit or just wait the 2 weeks and see.  By running things overnight, I'm also hoping to go through this time period in half the time.  The buzz is not super loud.  It's only heard during quiet dramatic parts in a movie.  For instance, in Hugo George Mellies makes a speech and the clapping audience quiets down.  Before he talks there is dead silence.  Or, take Jerry McGuire when he returns to reclaim his wife and the room is dead silent.  It's these types of moments where a buzzing sound would totally take you out of the moment.  I would love to hear what other owners of the F8500 experience with their sets, and if the sound does go away within a couple weeks.

 

3)  Finally, I have noticed when watching content with letterbox bars there is a thin horizontal brighter line that occurs immediately after the letterboxing right before the picture.  If the content is dark, you really don't see it.  But if the content has any brightness to it, this line is several shades brighter and is about 2-3 pixels thick (I'm guessing).  I haven't disabled the pixel orbiter, but am wondering if these lines (they exist on both the top & bottom letterbox bars) are side effects of the pixel orbiter technology.  When watching movies at full 16x9 screen (1.85:1), the entire screen is filled and NO horizontal lines at the top and bottom.  It only exists when there is letterboxing.  If there is a pillar box, there is NOT a vertical line adjacent to the vertical bars.  It's only the horizontal ones.  I think I have seen this line with other units demo'd at the stores, as well as other TV's... so just not sure if this is something I can get around or not.  I don't think either of my 2 Sony LCD's have this extra "gift" of a brighter line between the letterbox bars and the content itself.

 

Many thanks in advance, and please feel free to PM me as well.

EyeInSky1970 is offline  
post #4594 of 7197 Old 03-05-2014, 08:20 AM
Newbie
 
msoav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVZR1 View Post

There was a post in one of the "owners threads" that had that information for a 60" I believe and "best of recollection" if you took the height , less the VESA dimension and divided by 2 you would be somewhat close to that dimension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowspawn View Post

The answer was that the holes are located symmetrical to the edges of the set, horizontally and vertically.

Caveat: I have the 64", not the 60".

Another caveat: On the 64", at least, the power connection is close to the center, instead of near the bottom where it should be, and points back towards the wall instead of down like it should. The result is that the power cord interferes with some third party mounting systems. I had to use spacers and 1" long screws (provided and approved by Peerless) to get the Peerless universal adapter plate to mount properly with the 64" F8500.

Thank you. Formula works. I did the calculation, then went into a local store with my tape measure to confirm and it was right on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougofthenorth View Post

This might be a help for you & give some ideas

http://www.wallmountworld.com/FAQ-s/84.htm
Very useful thanks. Hopefully the TV will arrive this weekend.
msoav is offline  
post #4595 of 7197 Old 03-05-2014, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member
 
Ronald Epstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 813
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Trust me. I did a lot of A/B comparison.

The ZT60 can't hold a candle to the F8500 when it comes to 3D.

This is the best 3D display I have owned and I have owned three.
Ronald Epstein is online now  
post #4596 of 7197 Old 03-05-2014, 09:01 AM
Senior Member
 
amercnchopz34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 203
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I do not need 3d...just want best all around tv
amercnchopz34 is offline  
post #4597 of 7197 Old 03-05-2014, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
newfmp3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: NFLD, Canada
Posts: 3,888
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 115
I did not need 3D or smartTV functions, but still ended up with the 8500. But, had I found a VT that might have changed things. One thing about the 8500 that has taken some time to get used to for me is the fact that whites are really bright. Not quite LCD overblown white, but still much brighter then My Panasonics could produce.

Another thing I see people mention is the sharpness at 0. Wow that's low. I think it looks terrible at 0. I have always favored a sharper picture, but 0 is way low. Mine I think is at 20-25.

I'm at work right now so I can't confirm this. Concerning the Buzz issue. That little vent on the very bottom of the TV (you can see it while facing the front of the TV) is the buzz coming out from that I wonder? I'm just thinking that its so odd that sitting in front of the tv in a certain spot makes the buzz so obvious, but then sitting just a little to the right or left, the buzz is diminished a great deal. I'm wondering if that little vent is directing the noise somehow. Will test tonight.
newfmp3 is offline  
post #4598 of 7197 Old 03-05-2014, 09:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 11,983
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by amercnchopz34 View Post

I do not need 3d...just want best all around tv
The great part is, people 2 years ago paid for the most part of 3d. You yourself will pay $20 in the cost of the TV, with the 3D glasses included that you can sell....
Cleveland Plasma is online now  
post #4599 of 7197 Old 03-05-2014, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member
 
hhaller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,431
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

The great part is, people 2 years ago paid for the most part of 3d. You yourself will pay $20 in the cost of the TV, with the 3D glasses included that you can sell....

CP, a bit off-topic, but will Chad be reviewing the H5000?
hhaller is online now  
post #4600 of 7197 Old 03-05-2014, 10:27 AM
Member
 
tyler webb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
My 60F8500 has a build date Jan 14. It buzzed the first 150 hours but now at 200 hours is almost completely silent.
tyler webb is offline  
post #4601 of 7197 Old 03-05-2014, 10:34 AM
Senior Member
 
9179mhb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 381
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfmp3 View Post

I'm at work right now so I can't confirm this. Concerning the Buzz issue. That little vent on the very bottom of the TV (you can see it while facing the front of the TV) is the buzz coming out from that I wonder? I'm just thinking that its so odd that sitting in front of the tv in a certain spot makes the buzz so obvious, but then sitting just a little to the right or left, the buzz is diminished a great deal. I'm wondering if that little vent is directing the noise somehow. Will test tonight.

What is the screen size of the F8500 you purchased?

Is the PDP wall mounted or on its stand?

How far away do you normally sit from your display? Can you hear any panel buzz from a distance of 10' - 12'?

Have you tried turning down the contrast and brightness settings? Does this diminish the noise?

I wonder if the buzz noise issue associated with the F8500 is most prominent when the panel is new and may quiet down after the phosphors age/wear in some?
9179mhb is offline  
post #4602 of 7197 Old 03-05-2014, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
wxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,790
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeInSky1970 View Post

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased my first plasma TV.  It is the 60" F8500 series, and right now I'm going through the break-in period.  My brightness, cell light, and contrast are all down to 50% values from factory defaults.  And I must say the picture looks spectacular even at those settings.  I've gotten so used to the flaws of LCD (very minor ones) that I continue to be amazed when I suddenly notice I've been staring at a plasma for a long time and not a single moment of banding, flashlighting, motion judder (I currently have it set to cinema smooth and works well as it doesn't produce any soap opera effect), blooming, and the other anomalies I would infrequently see on most LCD's.  Even the motion itself appears subtlety more smooth and fluid.  My eyes & brain can't immediately see motion difference between plasma and LCD.  The 3:2 pulldown is a great trick, but the plasma doesn't have the "aftertaste" of extremely slight jerkiness that LCD's have.  I actually find there is LESS eye fatigue while watching plasma than with watching LCD.

I saw the rear glow device.  It does look cool, but for me is probably only something I would get if I'm experiencing the eye fatigue the other uses are speaking of.  I do have some very dim ambient light during movies, but have no problem watching the set in the dark too.

But I do have some other F8500 related questions I was hoping the users on this thread can help me with:

1)  I don't believe my Oppo blu-ray player has a looping function.  I would like to continue breaking in the TV while I'm sleeping at night so that it can complete the 100-200 hrs faster.  I was thinking of using D-Nice's picture slides overnight and watching TV or movie content that fills the screen while awake.  I PM'd D-Nice directly about a week ago but haven't gotten a reply yet.  DOES ANYONE HAVE A LINK TO WHERE I CAN DOWNLOAD THESE PICTURE SLIDES?  Apparently they are designed to help break the television in as well as troubleshoot to see if there are dead pixels and things of that nature.

2)  I have the 60" set, and I do notice quite a bit of buzzing.  I mostly hear it from the rear vent holes of the back panel but can also easily hear it if I'm dead center in front of the TV (that's not good).  If I'm off at an angle the volume diminishes a lot but while dead center (at eye level) it's almost like the TV acts as a dish amplifier projecting the buzz signal (lol).  I've heard some reports this buzz will diminish within a couple weeks of time.  I also heard the 51" and 64" is less prone to buzzing.  Some claim their unit is 100% quiet with no buzz at all (lucky bastards - lol).  I'm trying to decide early on if I should exchange this unit or just wait the 2 weeks and see.  By running things overnight, I'm also hoping to go through this time period in half the time.  The buzz is not super loud.  It's only heard during quiet dramatic parts in a movie.  For instance, in Hugo George Mellies makes a speech and the clapping audience quiets down.  Before he talks there is dead silence.  Or, take Jerry McGuire when he returns to reclaim his wife and the room is dead silent.  It's these types of moments where a buzzing sound would totally take you out of the moment.  I would love to hear what other owners of the F8500 experience with their sets, and if the sound does go away within a couple weeks.

3)  Finally, I have noticed when watching content with letterbox bars there is a thin horizontal brighter line that occurs immediately after the letterboxing right before the picture.  If the content is dark, you really don't see it.  But if the content has any brightness to it, this line is several shades brighter and is about 2-3 pixels thick (I'm guessing).  I haven't disabled the pixel orbiter, but am wondering if these lines (they exist on both the top & bottom letterbox bars) are side effects of the pixel orbiter technology.  When watching movies at full 16x9 screen (1.85:1), the entire screen is filled and NO horizontal lines at the top and bottom.  It only exists when there is letterboxing.  If there is a pillar box, there is NOT a vertical line adjacent to the vertical bars.  It's only the horizontal ones.  I think I have seen this line with other units demo'd at the stores, as well as other TV's... so just not sure if this is something I can get around or not.  I don't think either of my 2 Sony LCD's have this extra "gift" of a brighter line between the letterbox bars and the content itself.

Many thanks in advance, and please feel free to PM me as well.


The slides can be downloaded from here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1053444/the-official-pioneer-9g-kuro-settings-issues-thread

Burn to a CD/DVD and play in OPPO. It will loop it with no problem. It works fine with the OPPO 83 and 93, which I Have, and should work with their other models.

The brighter line you see between the black bars and actual movie content may be the fault of the movie. I have seen it before on some movies, but not all. Set you screen size to screen fit instead of 16:9 when watching movies. Finally, it could also be related to the newness of your tv. You probably should not watch letterbox movies for the first 200 hours as that is when tv is most prone to burn in. I have 400 hours on my tv now, and have not seen that bright line for quite some time.

RIP Robin Williams. Thanks for the laughter.
wxman is online now  
post #4603 of 7197 Old 03-05-2014, 11:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 11,983
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhaller View Post

CP, a bit off-topic, but will Chad be reviewing the H5000?
Maybe, but no real rush as that is a low end model. That unit is more like the PN64F5300.

H7000, that is a different story.
Cleveland Plasma is online now  
post #4604 of 7197 Old 03-05-2014, 11:05 AM
Advanced Member
 
Dougofthenorth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Ottawa Ontario Canada
Posts: 597
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9179mhb View Post

What is the screen size of the F8500 you purchased?

Is the PDP wall mounted or on its stand?

How far away do you normally sit from your display? Can you hear any panel buzz from a distance of 10' - 12'?

Have you tried turning down the contrast and brightness settings? Does this diminish the noise?

I wonder if the buzz noise issue associated with the F8500 is most prominent when the panel is new and may quiet down after the phosphors age/wear in some?

Worse buzz when I raised higher by 8" on TV console's mount - will put it down again & back on its stand

Mine is a 60" (replaced the 1st set - too loud buzz) -most/worst buzz complaints seem to be from 60" Sep 2013 build date

~11-12 feet

Contrast, brightness & others no difference

After 2000+ hours buzz is the same & after all FW updates

------------------------
Regards,

Dougofthenorth

Save turtles:
http://www.turtleshelltortue.org
Dougofthenorth is offline  
post #4605 of 7197 Old 03-05-2014, 11:29 AM
Senior Member
 
9179mhb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 381
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Thanks. I purchased a 64F8500 from Cleveland Plasma last weekend and hope to receive delivery of the PDP by the end of this week so I can begin to put it through its paces. smile.gif
9179mhb is offline  
post #4606 of 7197 Old 03-05-2014, 12:53 PM
Member
 
mcolts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcolts View Post

The TV died on Tuesday evening and I received a call from the service tech on Wednesday morning (great turn around). They told me on the phone that the Samsung troubleshooting guide indicated that it was a power supply issue and that they would need to have that part shipped to them. They came out to my house on Friday morning and swapped out the power supply, and the TV did not turn on.

When that happened, they tested each board to determine which component was not working properly (not sure how they were able to figure that out) and suggested that it was the main board. Of course, they did not have that part and said they would get back in touch with me when that arrived. To me, and I could be wrong, it looked like they were working on a hunch, as they told me earlier that Samsung only suggested bringing out a power supply board based on how the TV was acting.

I called Samsung and spent way more time than any normal person should to get to their "executive level" of support. They basically told me to go pound sand when I asked them to swap the set for a new one. They said the service tech would determine when the set was actually a failure before they would issue a new set. I then asked them if five hours of operation was their new benchmark for success, and they did not have an answer for me.

I know some of you are probably wondering why I did not send it back to my seller. My seller was an authorized online retailer and I thought it would be a pain in the * to ship it back to them and receive a new one. At the end of the day, this is Samsung's issue as the TV was not damaged through shipping.

Hopefully, the main board is the problem and I can enjoy my set going forward. I will keep everyone posted when they come out to change that part.

Service guys stopped by and swapped the main board. That fixed the issue and the TV is back up and running! Now I get to enjoy this awesome set!!!!
JimP and Denniswrly like this.
mcolts is offline  
post #4607 of 7197 Old 03-05-2014, 01:08 PM
Member
 
EyeInSky1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15

Tyler Webb... I would be curious to what the decibel rating would be.  I might be making a mountain out of a mole hill here, but from dead center I can definitely hear it close to 10 feet away if the room is silent.  It's weird how I don't hear it as much from an angle, but it's true.  The other strongest point is at the rear top vents, but I will have another look at the bottom ones (from the front) to see what that does.  I may also try toying with the screws (tightening & loosening) to see if that helps the buzz.

 

Wxman... Thank you for your input as well.  I have been a good boy by not watching stations with static logos or letterboxed movies.  Sometimes the back of the blu-ray doesn't say "1.85:1" and instead just says "16x9 so when I pop in the disc if I immediately see letterboxing I take it out for something different.  But in the process, I was able to examine the letterboxed area for a minute or two to see this interesting horizontal line immediately adjacent to the letterbox bars.  The color/hue matches the content of the screen.  It's just 5x (or more) brighter.  I found this very odd, but it's on both the bottom & top bars and I can easily see it even from 10-15 feet away.  I think you should only see black bars then immediately the picture, and not this 3-5 pixel "bright line buffer" in between.  Again, perhaps it is the side effect of the pixel orbiter technology allowing wiggle room at the edges of the screen, and if that's the case that would make sense.  But I also wonder why I don't see that all around if that was the case either.

 

In the end though, I am so happy with the plasma picture!  Once all the kinks get ironed out, this set is one amazing piece of work.  The brightness isn't "too bright" in my opinion.  I think it's just right.  It looks very natural.  The LED's are overly bright in my opinion (not natural and fatiguing to watch).  The Kuro Elite and VT60, ST60, and ZT60 are a bit too dim for my tastes.  The whites are not as spectacular as the blacks.  The F8500 seems to have the best of both worlds (whites & inky blacks).  The colors and contrast look very natural.  So much depth... AND CLARITY!  I am still amazed at how sharp this picture is!  It's almost like looking at a 4k television lol.

 

If the buzzing and horizontal lines goes away, the 60" is best for our situation (budget + bulky size for the area it is going to be placed).  But if the simplest solution is to fork out more money and get the 64", I wouldn't mind doing that as long as it's a near guarantee to get rid of the buzz, the horizontal lines, and be free of dead pixels and all that stuff.  We all spend our good hard-earned money (and these TV's aren't cheap), so we do expect a top caliber television to be free of defects.  I'm sorry, but that shouldn't be too much to ask for.  Otherwise, we would just get a 75-80" TV from Costco for less than half the price!

EyeInSky1970 is offline  
post #4608 of 7197 Old 03-05-2014, 01:15 PM
Member
 
EyeInSky1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15

Another thing about the horizontal lines...

 

So far I have only put on a couple movies that were in letterbox, and both had it.  Dances With Wolves, and Pixar's Cars.  I'm going to try to take a picture and post it online so you all can see what I'm talking about.  I would be very surprised if this goes away in time.  I wonder why it would do that?  Just "aging" / dimming of the phosphors?  I'm not sure if I would want to ride out the several months to see if it fixes itself, when I can still get a replacement in my time window.

 

Maybe if I post a picture of what I'm talking about other owners of the F8500 can see exactly what I'm talking about and can determine if these lines are something I should be concerned about or not.

 

The bottom line is this forum has been extremely helpful, and I appreciate all of the input I have received thus far.  Everybody on this site seem like very intelligent and highly qualified people to turn to for advice and help... MUCH moreso than any salesman at the stores.  It's ridiculous how little most of these guys know compared to the perfectionists on this site.  Yeah, it's a little "geeky" to go through all of this trouble, but I'm sure most all of the posters on here can relate to the frustration of spending thousands of dollars and things not being right the FIRST time.

EyeInSky1970 is offline  
post #4609 of 7197 Old 03-05-2014, 01:19 PM
Member
 
EyeInSky1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15

Does Samsung have an APP where you can capture a picture digitally and put it on a flash drive?

 

I do have the Oppo BDP-83, and it does have a repeat/a-b function.  But on the movies I tried to use it I just got the red "X" icon.  At first I was thinking I would download the slides to a flash drive and just have the Samsung view the photos and loop them.  I can also plug in the flash drive on the Oppo (there's a USB on the front of it) and try it that way.  I'm hesitant to have the Oppo endlessly loop for several hours.  Unlike the cheaper Sony players, the Oppo has a tendency to freeze and bug out on rare occasion... and it would be really bad for a picture to be stuck for several hours while asleep.  But if the Samsung can't do it, I will roll the dice and try it with the Oppo.

EyeInSky1970 is offline  
post #4610 of 7197 Old 03-05-2014, 04:42 PM
Senior Member
 
Chris5028's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 282
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I found an possible snafu with my new set. About 2/3 of the way up the screen there seems to be a horizontal line, it is visible until you get about 6 inches from the screen, any closer and it disappears. Its always at the same height so I don't think it is my eyes. It is not IR as the only thing that's been on the screen for more than a few minutes is Slides. Is it just a bi-product of the filter? I don't really want to exchange again. Any ideas?

Chris5028 is offline  
post #4611 of 7197 Old 03-05-2014, 04:58 PM
 
pieandchips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,944
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 169
^ pic?
Dougofthenorth likes this.
pieandchips is offline  
post #4612 of 7197 Old 03-05-2014, 05:34 PM
Senior Member
 
Chris5028's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 282
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by pieandchips View Post

^ pic?

Apparently it is unphotographical, or not photographable. one of the two. My wife sees it to so I am not crazy.

Chris5028 is offline  
post #4613 of 7197 Old 03-05-2014, 06:26 PM
Senior Member
 
WVZR1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 238
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris5028 View Post

Apparently it is unphotographical, or not photographable. one of the two. My wife sees it to so I am not crazy.

If you have a substantial amount of light "behind you" you can see faintly the filter and the angle of your sight would likely affect where you saw it on the screen. There are snapshots in one of the owners threads that display well the "filter with a reflection". That poster had venetian blinds in the window behind him and many thought it was the blinds but it was the filter. With my window uncovered behind me in the AM thru mid-day I can see the filter faintly. Seated the filter is seen at one height and standing if it's visible at all it's at another height where you see it.. I covered the window, no more reflection and of course no more filter visible. The lines of the filter aren't visible with content and when I ran the slides I didn't notice them but I wasn't looking either. I didn't see them until it was pointed out by the fellow with the venetian blinds behind him.

I don't know how the fellow was able to photograph his, it would seem to me to be something that like you mentioned couldn't be photographed by a simple "point and shoot"!
WVZR1 is offline  
post #4614 of 7197 Old 03-05-2014, 06:30 PM
Advanced Member
 
xvfx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 607
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeInSky1970 View Post

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased my first plasma TV.  It is the 60" F8500 series, and right now I'm going through the break-in period.  My brightness, cell light, and contrast are all down to 50% values from factory defaults.  And I must say the picture looks spectacular even at those settings.  I've gotten so used to the flaws of LCD (very minor ones) that I continue to be amazed when I suddenly notice I've been staring at a plasma for a long time and not a single moment of banding, flashlighting, motion judder (I currently have it set to cinema smooth and works well as it doesn't produce any soap opera effect), blooming, and the other anomalies I would infrequently see on most LCD's.  Even the motion itself appears subtlety more smooth and fluid.  My eyes & brain can't immediately see motion difference between plasma and LCD.  The 3:2 pulldown is a great trick, but the plasma doesn't have the "aftertaste" of extremely slight jerkiness that LCD's have.  I actually find there is LESS eye fatigue while watching plasma than with watching LCD.

Scary isn't it. I too only purchased my first Plasma last Thursday. I saw the initial flicker for the first day after being so used to LCD/LED now I don't see it. Going back to the other rooms with LCD's feels awful. Picture lacks depth, warmth... I think the lack of warmth is due to the fact the picture looks so flat and lack of contrast ratio. Plus the fact LCD's look and feel so plastic. Like a cardboard cutout.

The black glow from LCD seems awful now especially the viewing angle. Dead centre or it's away to pot. As Plasma looks and feels like a velvet curtain or black void.

I always find it unreal how smooth the picture is. Feels like watching a giant CRT. Or you're moving for real.
Quote:
I saw the rear glow device.  It does look cool, but for me is probably only something I would get if I'm experiencing the eye fatigue the other uses are speaking of.  I do have some very dim ambient light during movies, but have no problem watching the set in the dark too.

I have noticed at times it feels like an eclipse then I'm blinded in the dark. Like Gravity. Complete darkness with minor shadow details. Looks like 5% brightness, then bam, the glow off the earth and earth on the screen while I squint trying to adjust for 5 seconds.
xvfx is online now  
post #4615 of 7197 Old 03-05-2014, 09:48 PM
Senior Member
 
Chris5028's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 282
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVZR1 View Post

If you have a substantial amount of light "behind you" you can see faintly the filter and the angle of your sight would likely affect where you saw it on the screen. There are snapshots in one of the owners threads that display well the "filter with a reflection". That poster had venetian blinds in the window behind him and many thought it was the blinds but it was the filter. With my window uncovered behind me in the AM thru mid-day I can see the filter faintly. Seated the filter is seen at one height and standing if it's visible at all it's at another height where you see it.. I covered the window, no more reflection and of course no more filter visible. The lines of the filter aren't visible with content and when I ran the slides I didn't notice them but I wasn't looking either. I didn't see them until it was pointed out by the fellow with the venetian blinds behind him.

I don't know how the fellow was able to photograph his, it would seem to me to be something that like you mentioned couldn't be photographed by a simple "point and shoot"!

The room is DARK and I can still see it. If I move my head up and down I can see the louver effect but this doesn't seem to be related. I looked closer and its almost a 6-8" strip of the screen that is darker. I will fiddle with my wifes camera, its a point and shoot but its fancy so who knows. (I guess I should have bought her the DSLR after all) I am almost to the point of returning it and trying somewhere else. Maybe Cleveland Plasma can cut me a sweet deal on a 64"? hint hint wink wink

Chris5028 is offline  
post #4616 of 7197 Old 03-05-2014, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
muffinmcfluffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: San Mateo, California
Posts: 1,295
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by amercnchopz34 View Post

3D has never been my thing but will try

Thanks

Just want to solve issue with eye strain

Are you watching Blu-rays.

If so, try and turn on Cinema Smooth (make sure 1080p/24 is enabled on your BD player). I get eye fatigue from 60 Hz on my Blu-rays.

Let me know how that turns out.
muffinmcfluffin is offline  
post #4617 of 7197 Old 03-06-2014, 05:20 AM
Advanced Member
 
Dougofthenorth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Ottawa Ontario Canada
Posts: 597
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeInSky1970 View Post

Another thing about the horizontal lines...

So far I have only put on a couple movies that were in letterbox, and both had it.  Dances With Wolves, and Pixar's Cars.  I'm going to try to take a picture and post it online so you all can see what I'm talking about.  I would be very surprised if this goes away in time.  I wonder why it would do that?  Just "aging" / dimming of the phosphors?  I'm not sure if I would want to ride out the several months to see if it fixes itself, when I can still get a replacement in my time window.

Maybe if I post a picture of what I'm talking about other owners of the F8500 can see exactly what I'm talking about and can determine if these lines are something I should be concerned about or not.

The bottom line is this forum has been extremely helpful, and I appreciate all of the input I have received thus far.  Everybody on this site seem like very intelligent and highly qualified people to turn to for advice and help... MUCH moreso than any salesman at the stores.  It's ridiculous how little most of these guys know compared to the perfectionists on this site.  Yeah, it's a little "geeky" to go through all of this trouble, but I'm sure most all of the posters on here can relate to the frustration of spending thousands of dollars and things not being right the FIRST time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris5028 View Post

I found an possible snafu with my new set. About 2/3 of the way up the screen there seems to be a horizontal line, it is visible until you get about 6 inches from the screen, any closer and it disappears. Its always at the same height so I don't think it is my eyes. It is not IR as the only thing that's been on the screen for more than a few minutes is Slides. Is it just a bi-product of the filter? I don't really want to exchange again. Any ideas?

The vast majority of owners, except for a very few, that have posted in the 3 main F8500 threads, do not see lines/bands in normal or any viewing conditions.
It has been reported but rarely. Consensus is that it is a defect.
As a matter of fact it appears most have had to go out of their way to set up conditions to see any screen filter effect or other lines/bands & need these very specific set of conditions to be able to see any.
If your cables are in proper shape & you put on the ferrite cores properly, Then in my opinion it is a set defect,

If you have a "time window" to exchange - I recommend you do so ASAP. I know it can be a hassle, but I respectfully suggest that you don't bet your $ on the IMHO slight chance it might go away....
I do not remember a post where any "line/band viewer" has stated - after X amount of time they disappeared. Unless they covered over a window or some such remedy.

My 2 60F8500s like most owners here, never had any bands/lines. (1 exchanged for buzz)

Good luck...
.

------------------------
Regards,

Dougofthenorth

Save turtles:
http://www.turtleshelltortue.org
Dougofthenorth is offline  
post #4618 of 7197 Old 03-06-2014, 06:12 AM
Member
 
mcolts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcolts View Post

Service guys stopped by and swapped the main board. That fixed the issue and the TV is back up and running! Now I get to enjoy this awesome set!!!!

I was actually able to watch TV and movies on the set last night. Picture looked awesome, but I noticed something when I was wiping off some fingerprints that were left by the service guys.

I noticed a single black pixel that some would describe on this forum as a "dead pixel" in the top left part of the screen. Is this another sign of something being wrong with my set? Or is this just the "fun" part of having a plasma?

I am going to let it go for now as I cannot see it when I sit down to watch TV, but I just wanted to make sure that there isn't something else lurking with this sett!!!
mcolts is offline  
post #4619 of 7197 Old 03-06-2014, 07:08 AM
Senior Member
 
Chris5028's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 282
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 60
It will be exchanged or returned, I have to wait for my store to open to authorize it. Best Buy really hasn't done anything to make me want to keep shopping there past the initial discount. I get that its inconvenient to have to do exchanges but at least try to be polite. Hopefully the next one works out, my wife is getting to be very frustrated and wants me to return it and just stick with my 50".

Chris5028 is offline  
post #4620 of 7197 Old 03-06-2014, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member
 
eric3316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,715
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcolts View Post

I was actually able to watch TV and movies on the set last night. Picture looked awesome, but I noticed something when I was wiping off some fingerprints that were left by the service guys.

I noticed a single black pixel that some would describe on this forum as a "dead pixel" in the top left part of the screen. Is this another sign of something being wrong with my set? Or is this just the "fun" part of having a plasma?

I am going to let it go for now as I cannot see it when I sit down to watch TV, but I just wanted to make sure that there isn't something else lurking with this sett!!!

Dead pixels aren't just plasma problems, they are problems with all current TV technology. A dead pixel would not be a sign of anything else being wrong and would not be related to any other issues you might encounter. A dead pixel is just that, a dead pixel and nothing more.
eric3316 is offline  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Pn60f8500 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off