Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk) - Page 157 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4681 of 7817 Old 03-08-2014, 07:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 169
^ Yes, you'd have to turn on and off game mode.

If you don't use your game console for playing movies, you can assign it it's own HDMI port on the TV with game mode on all the time and have the console use optical to the AVR for game sound.

That way you just have to change HDMI input on the TV to play games.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4682 of 7817 Old 03-08-2014, 07:43 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pieandchips View Post

^ Yes, you'd have to turn on and off game mode.

If you don't use your game console for playing movies, you can assign it it's own HDMI port on the TV with game mode on all the time and have the console use optical to the AVR for game sound.

That way you just have to change HDMI input on the TV to play games.

Thank you!

post #4683 of 7817 Old 03-08-2014, 08:12 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyguitar1963 View Post

My 60", which is in the process of being returned back to VE, has almost 300 hours & still buzzes loudly(even with cell light turned all the way down). Our seating is fixed, as is our entertainment console, at 14ft back and my wife's seating position is dead-center and the buzzing is intolerable. I sit about 10-15 degrees off-axis & I do NOT hear it! The 64 was too big to fit in our console, which is a bummer. Otherwise this would've been a slam dunk.

VE has already shipped a UN60F8000 in it's place arriving mid-week. I would've got the Sony KDLxxW900a, if it had been available in a 60-inch(preferred black levels/pop over the F8000)

Funny you should mention that!  My first post on this forum was advice on deciding between the F8500 and Sony W900A (lol).  And one of the biggest contributors to why I ended up choosing the plasma was because the largest size of the LED W900A was 55".  But in hindsight... I am SO thankful for choosing the plasma.  Image Retention really is not the serious issue I imagined it was (so my fears on that were quickly put to rest).

And after staring at the picture for quite some time I can easily say there is no comparison between this plasma and the very best of LED lcd's.  There is just a quality of warmth, depth, clarity, motion, and pristine picture quality that LCD's can't match.  Well, at least not until the OLED's come around at a reasonable price.

I'm crossing my fingers the 60" replacement model is less noisy.  While I would never complain about the 64", the increase in cost is hard to swallow for just a few more inches.  But more importantly a 55" - 60" TV fits a little better for the spot it's going than a larger unit.

Thanks again to everyone for their help!

post #4684 of 7817 Old 03-08-2014, 08:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
@EyeInTheSky1970

Does your alias have anything to do with "Alan Parsons Project?" 1 of their best songs!
post #4685 of 7817 Old 03-08-2014, 10:55 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15

Absolutely :-)

They are my favorite band, among other progressive rock artists.  Nice catch, but no surprise you appreciate good guitar music based on your handle too.

post #4686 of 7817 Old 03-09-2014, 12:33 AM

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantsNWarrants View Post

I live near a fault and fear that an earthquake might destroy my TV. I can't move somewhere else. Since there is speculation that Samsung may not continue to produce high quality PDPs, replacement might be in jeopardy.

The set is on a stand. I have a strap bolted between a mount hole on the TV and the wall behind the set (as suggested in the installation manual); this prevents it from tipping forward but not backward.

1) Is there a pedestal mount that bolts to the floor that would allow me to leave the TV's stand attached? Are you willing to recommend any? Best would be something with an adjustable height so that the TV would rest on the stand (Y axis) but also be supported in the X and Z axes by the mount.

2) Do you think a floor pedestal tv mount might help during a quake? I'm not enamored with drilling holes in the floor for lag bolts, but would do that if doing so would preserve the TV...

3) Any other thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post

I would think even with tv secure, any prolonged shaking from an earthquake could not be good for the tv. I would worry about the glass cracking, especially with a 64 inch model just from the shaking. You would almost need a mount with some sort of gyro or shock absorbers to prevent shaking or swaying.

Does anyone know of a "gyro" or shock absorbing pedestal mount?

What woul YOU do?

Potentially useful stuff,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4687 of 7817 Old 03-09-2014, 12:42 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

What woul YOU do?

There are special mounts for boats to mount satelite dishes on, something like that maybe just the ticket.
But I garantee you they are expensive.
And I dont know how they work, they use a fixed point in the sky to focus on I assume, if that system is adaptable I have no idea.

Time to do some googling i guess.

Rob
post #4688 of 7817 Old 03-09-2014, 05:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:

I live near a fault and fear that an earthquake might destroy my TV. I can't move somewhere else. Since there is speculation that Samsung may not continue to produce high quality PDPs, replacement might be in jeopardy.

The set is on a stand. I have a strap bolted between a mount hole on the TV and the wall behind the set (as suggested in the installation manual); this prevents it from tipping forward but not backward.

1) Is there a pedestal mount that bolts to the floor that would allow me to leave the TV's stand attached? Are you willing to recommend any? Best would be something with an adjustable height so that the TV would rest on the stand (Y axis) but also be supported in the X and Z axes by the mount.

2) Do you think a floor pedestal tv mount might help during a quake? I'm not enamored with drilling holes in the floor for lag bolts, but would do that if doing so would preserve the TV...

3) Any other thoughts?

Life is too short to worry about this stuff.

Eat icecream and be happy. smile.gif

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #4689 of 7817 Old 03-09-2014, 05:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:

What woul YOU do?

Have you tried asking dealers in your area if they have any experience dealing with this issue?

Chronic masticator.
Gear: Speakers (Paradigm Reference Studio Series): 40 v4 (front L/R), CC-690 v4 (centre), 20 v4 (surround L/R). PSA XS30 (subwoofer).
Denon AVR-X4000, Emotiva XPA-5, Samsung PN64F8500 (64" plasma), DarbeeVision Darblet DVP5000, PS3, Sony BDP-S6200, Apple TV (3rd gen.), Harmony One, Sennheiser RS180
post #4690 of 7817 Old 03-09-2014, 06:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeInSky1970 View Post

Absolutely :-)

They are my favorite band, among other progressive rock artists.  Nice catch, but no surprise you appreciate good guitar music based on your handle too.

I have all his stuff also!
His producing DSOM for Floyd was genius cool.gif

I can't wait till they all get their $h!t together & re-release it all on BR with lossless HD sound formats

But, I will be getting the vinyl out again soon, when HT addition on house gets built

------------------------
Regards,

Dougofthenorth

Save turtles:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4691 of 7817 Old 03-09-2014, 06:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

What woul YOU do?

Get good insurance coverage with an earthquake rider in the policy

EDIT Or a VERY good wall mount - bolted to studs not drywall

-BTW - I'm considering repurposing a Hummer 50cal titanium gun shield as a cover for the top of my F8500
- in case a meteor or space satellite debris comes through my roof eek.gif

- JUST KIDDING!!! & funnying ya : biggrin.gif

------------------------
Regards,

Dougofthenorth

Save turtles:

post #4692 of 7817 Old 03-09-2014, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 125
While insurance coverage would get you the money to buy a new TV, it does nothing to address the issue of the availability of plasma TVs in future years. I believe this is also part of WnW's concern.

OLED may trump plasma in terms of PQ, but how long will it be before you can get a 64/65" OLED at the same price point, with equal or better PQ than today's plasma TVs? 3 years? 5? Longer?

And if you need to replace your set before then, will there be plasma TVs, equal or better than the current models, available?

I had been wanting to upgrade to a larger set for some time, and had my eye on a Panny 65ST60. But I waited too long, and I missed the boat. So, when I spotted a deal on an open box 64F8500, for the same price that the 65ST60s were selling for (in Canada, mind you) last Christmas, I pounced on it. It wasn't the greatest timing for me to buy a TV, but I was concerned about future availability.

Now, we know that Samsung will be making plasmas for at least one more year, but after that, who knows?

Chronic masticator.
Gear: Speakers (Paradigm Reference Studio Series): 40 v4 (front L/R), CC-690 v4 (centre), 20 v4 (surround L/R). PSA XS30 (subwoofer).
Denon AVR-X4000, Emotiva XPA-5, Samsung PN64F8500 (64" plasma), DarbeeVision Darblet DVP5000, PS3, Sony BDP-S6200, Apple TV (3rd gen.), Harmony One, Sennheiser RS180
post #4693 of 7817 Old 03-09-2014, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboe77 View Post

While insurance coverage would get you the money to buy a new TV, it does nothing to address the issue of the availability of plasma TVs in future years. I believe this is also part of WnW's concern.

Which is why I mentioned securing to the wall studs

My policy covers current equivalent function & level replacement - so if mine gets pooched - if no plasmas then I would get an OLED

I did very well with that in 1998. when the ice storm's power surges took out quite a few of my HT components

But it would depend on what insurance options are available for him & at what cost...

------------------------
Regards,

Dougofthenorth

Save turtles:

post #4694 of 7817 Old 03-09-2014, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member

Google seems to mention Ollo mounts as "shock absorbing "

------------------------
Regards,

Dougofthenorth

Save turtles:

post #4695 of 7817 Old 03-09-2014, 09:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 609
Lets face it, a little shock thru a mount is not going to hurt your unit, if the shock gets that great to damage your TV, I am sure the TV will be the least of the problems at hand. TV's are fragile, but they can take a good beating too. See, ya made me post it again:
Tom Riddle likes this.

Forum Sponsor // \\

1-866-651-0049 // \\

/
/

/

/
post #4696 of 7817 Old 03-09-2014, 10:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Chris,

Was that warranty service from Panasonic or Samsung? smile.gif

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #4697 of 7817 Old 03-09-2014, 12:30 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

What woul YOU do?

This support will prevent the TV from tipping forwards or backwards.

post #4698 of 7817 Old 03-09-2014, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal4 View Post

This support will prevent the TV from tipping forwards or backwards.

Although it is rated for 60" max, I think this is a decent solution. Thank you.

Some of you should be professional comedians. I laughed out loud at ice cream and a couple of other posts were fun too.

Potentially useful stuff,
post #4699 of 7817 Old 03-09-2014, 03:54 PM

New set...Some pics...64f8500.....90 hrs on set...trying to get 200 b4 chad gets here to calibrate Friday. ..

post #4700 of 7817 Old 03-09-2014, 04:05 PM

^^^ Whose mount/stand? Is it a stand and mount combination or a separate pedestal style mount with a separate branded stand?

Part numbers maybe or a link to them. I think I know what I'd like to move mine from the wall to a pedestal stand or floor stand but yours looks interesting. I might ask for maybe some snapshots with the stand/pedestal mount being the points of interest!
post #4701 of 7817 Old 03-09-2014, 04:59 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougofthenorth View Post

EDIT Or a VERY good wall mount - bolted to studs not drywall

OK, I'm going to start by admitting that I'm kind of "old school". I mounted my fully articulating wall mount in the first part of 2003. And I've kept it in service ever since, by buying a new adapter plate when necessary to attach a new panel to the old arm.

Back when I installed my wall mount, nobody would have even thought of attaching a wall mount to anything but studs. (And by "nobody", I mean "Nobody who posted on the AVS Forums"). I have eight (8) 1/4" screws holding my wall mount to studs.

Back in the 2003 day, people would attach their mount to the wall, and then hang 150 pounds of of sandbags on it for a day to make sure it would stay attached.

Do people really mount panels to drywall these days?

That creeps out my old-school sensibilities.
post #4702 of 7817 Old 03-09-2014, 05:15 PM

Got from Best buy....stand and pedestal combo.....love the black glass and cherry
post #4703 of 7817 Old 03-09-2014, 05:17 PM

http://www.appliancecenterdirect.com/index.php/furniture/tv-furniture/whalen-furniture-xls1252bbp-tv-stand-for-tube-tvs-up-to-32-or-flat-panel-tvs-up-to-60.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVZR1 View Post

^^^ Whose mount/stand? Is it a stand and mount combination or a separate pedestal style mount with a separate branded stand?

Part numbers maybe or a link to them. I think I know what I'd like to move mine from the wall to a pedestal stand or floor stand but yours looks interesting. I might ask for maybe some snapshots with the stand/pedestal mount being the points of interest!
post #4704 of 7817 Old 03-09-2014, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amercnchopz34 View Post

Got from Best buy....stand and pedestal combo.....love the black glass and cherry

I was certainly hoping for a separate pedestal type mount but when I saw the single vertical upright aspect of it I thought it might have been a combination affair. Thanks again. I've got I believe my solution in mind but always looking. I'd really like to try my display on the other end of the room and it requires something other than the factory stand.
post #4705 of 7817 Old 03-09-2014, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 65
If you are looking for stand ideas check out IKEA if there is on near you. My wife bought me the Besta TV stand when I got my F8500. it look schnazy and is very customizable.

Sorry for the low Q pic. the lighting in my living room is not so good.

post #4706 of 7817 Old 03-09-2014, 05:42 PM

????

When set is powered on...all inputs passing thru av....every time the screen displays STB on tv....can this be changed???.when input is put thru it goes away. ....

Just annoying every time it's turned on

I thought when it's powered up (tv) the app screen should come on so I can go thru Netflix etc....

Thanks in advance
post #4707 of 7817 Old 03-09-2014, 05:48 PM

Another pic. ...2 cinema quest lights top and bottom of set...

Seems the eye fatigue has disappeared with firmware 1119 .

Very happy

Love set
post #4708 of 7817 Old 03-09-2014, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amercnchopz34 View Post

????

When set is powered on...all inputs passing thru av....every time the screen displays STB on tv....can this be changed???.when input is put thru it goes away. ....

Just annoying every time it's turned on

I thought when it's powered up (tv) the app screen should come on so I can go thru Netflix etc....

Thanks in advance

I believe what you want is SMART FEATURES > ON TV SETTINGS > AUTO START (maybe) Mine I believe used to start there and it aggravated me to no end and I finally got it to the HDMI 1 (my TiVo STB) and actually many times it starts without the INFO bar - I've no idea why! I did that some time ago and I can't be sure but it's where I'd maybe start.
post #4709 of 7817 Old 03-09-2014, 06:16 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Sorry guys. I don't have time to search the thread. I have a line on an open box 64in about 2hrs away from my house. Does anybody know the menu command to show how many hours is on the TV? Also what other problems should I look for in purchasing an open box sex?. This would be my first plasma so any help would be appreciated. RIght now i've got a 55es800. I'm happy with it, but for the right price bigger is better.
post #4710 of 7817 Old 03-09-2014, 06:41 PM

Open box sex????? New retail store....lol.....mute...7 3 7.....enter....good luck
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Pn60f8500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page