Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk) - Page 160 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4771 of 6502 Old 03-13-2014, 12:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein View Post

Had mine calibrated over a month ago.  Updated to 1119.  Didn't lose anything.

Didn't your calibrator write down all your settings for you in case you ever have to do a reset?

A firmware update should not change your settings.  However, I have read (in the past) of firmware updates (earlier ones) that were either done incorrectly or were buggy to the point that the user had to do a hard reset.  THEN you would lose your settings.

Just to be safe, unplug all your HDMI input connections before doing the upgrade.  

Thanks. I have all the cal settings but, as you know, it would be a real pain to go into the sub-menu and have to reset these. My main concern is whether or not I had to "reset" the TV (as some have suggested here) in order for the updates to become fully effective. I would think if that's the case, Samsung should have notified its owners of this. Having said that, Samsung should have notified its owners of a lot of things which it didn't. I'll abide by your recommendation and hold my breath.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4772 of 6502 Old 03-13-2014, 01:03 PM

Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by quicknick View Post

I'll abide by your recommendation and hold my breath.

FYI at least one FW release (the one that fixed 2D pops quite a while back) did change baseline code in a way that affected all settings/calibrations.
This is a rare event, and probably won't happen again I must add....

*famous last words lol*
post #4773 of 6502 Old 03-13-2014, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeLfMaDe111985 View Post

I'm possibly returning my Open Box 65ZT60 to best buy do to some significant scratches on the screen from previous owner or manufacturer. Got a great deal but idk if the price justifies what on it. Anyway...

I'm looking to grab a F8500 this weekend. I'm going to Magnolia store with some blu rays to see how it compares with my ZT60. I know blacks will be inferior but there seems to so much more pros than just that one con about blacks.

Been reading a lot bout the "buzz" which seems outside of normal plasma buzz. My ZT60 buzzes on all content. The loudest
One I have had..the other I returned do to panel separation was much quieter. So my question is..most Buzzers seem to fall into the 60" F8500 more than the 64" F8500 but with the pricing right now it's 700$ more
Plus tax for the 4 more inches. Doesn't really justify the increase. Just don't want to get a 60" is if seems to have more issues.

I received a 64F8500 a couple of days ago. Before buying this PDP, I was concerned about the panel buzz issues that have been reported. My F8500 has an 11/13 build date, so far I haven’t observed any de d/stuck pixels and there is no audible buzz being made by the panel.

The only way I can hear a "faint" buzz is if I stand less than one foot behind the right side of the panel.

When seated in front of the panel at a distance of ~10' - 12' feet I hear no buzz coming from the F8500 regardless of the content being displayed.

I don't normally watch TV in a totally dark room but in a dimly lit environment the black levels look fine to me.

I have owned an 8th generation Kuro display for seven years so I have some basis for comparing black level performance.

The main difference I noticed so far is the F8500 seems to generate an image more akin to a video look format versus the cinematic appearance that is produced by my Pioneer & Panasonic PDPs. However, some Forum participants recommend adjustments to the picture settings to mitigate the video look and I will try using them tonight.

The overall brightness (image pop) and sharpness (image detail) is better on the F8500 than either my PRO-150FD or 50PX50U can produce.

Currently I am using the movie / default picture settings while initially watching the display.

I believe you will be pleased with an F8500 PDP, more so than with any LED/LCD display the manufacturers are currently marketing.

I purchased my PDP from Cleveland Plasma for a very competitive price and Chris delivered on everything he promised during the point of sale. If you're willing to buy a PDP from an Internet seller I recommend considering Cleveland Plasma who is a reputable dealer and a sponsor of the AVS Forum.
post #4774 of 6502 Old 03-13-2014, 02:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 53
QUICKNET :
I think that if you are carefull in your copying of your settings that you have now, you should not have any problems. You must go thru and copy all settings even those in Sub-Menus. There should be no reason to go into any deeper settings they should all be user accessable. I have gone thru 2 updates and have seen no change in my Calibrated settings. I did do a Hard reset and had to re enter them, but when I put the meter back on it there was no change enough to warrant any messing with them.

SELFMADE:
I agree if you feel comfortable making a internet purchase, CHRIS will get it done right.

Nothing's Perfect So Stop Expecting It ! Glenee

post #4775 of 6502 Old 03-13-2014, 03:25 PM

Liked: 21
Hey everyone. I have an off the wall question. If the F8500 is at backlight 20, what would that equate to on the F8000 as far as backlight. 10?? 12??

See below if you would like to know why.

I am currently returning my third F8000. The first one was DOA, second had a white line on left hand side, third has really bad banding. I had the F8500 last year and loved it but had to return due to unforseen issues. I have since moved out of my previous house and moved into a new house with many more windows. I have the layout below.

Arrows are where the windows are. Blue is furniture. I keep the f8000 at backlight 12 right now. But I am afraid the F8500 will have too much reflection for daytime viewing. Thanks for the help.
post #4776 of 6502 Old 03-13-2014, 04:16 PM

Liked: 26
^^^ There's no issues with those behind and to the left and right. Are the ones on the right perpendicular wall heavily draped? Are they maybe Venetian blinds? Those two windows seem to be the only possible issues and only you can determine the nuisance. Not all blinds or drapes are created equal. There is nothing behind the seating area?

I've no idea regarding the equivalent settings you mention F8000 vs. F8500, I've only had plasmas.
post #4777 of 6502 Old 03-13-2014, 04:35 PM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVZR1 View Post

^^^ There's no issues with those behind and to the left and right. Are the ones on the right perpendicular wall heavily draped? Are they maybe Venetian blinds? Those two windows seem to be the only possible issues and only you can determine the nuisance. Not all blinds or drapes are created equal. There is nothing behind the seating area?

I've no idea regarding the equivalent settings you mention F8000 vs. F8500, I've only had plasmas.

Thank you very much. There are no drapes on the right. Just regular blinds. My kitchen is behind me with another room behind thay with Windows. I can see them during the day sometimes with the f8000. Really only on dark scenes.
post #4778 of 6502 Old 03-13-2014, 04:44 PM

Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein View Post

I would be a little worried if I were about to buy a Samsung display.

Yes, there have been quite a few people on this forum who have reported issues.

There seems to be just as many with no issues.

Buy from a store that you can return the display to with no headaches.  Best Buy would be a good choice.

First, go there and play your Blu-rays on the display if they will allow it.

Would be very interested to hear your impressions whether they support my opinions or not.

If you like what you see, then buy that Samsung display.  I think you'll really like it.

Good luck.  Trust me, I know the pain involved in having to make what you think is the right choice.  This is not a fun hobby when it comes to picking out the perfect display (which there is NONE).

You based a lot of your review off of 3D performance, my taste is for pure 2D. 3D is just a bonus.
post #4779 of 6502 Old 03-13-2014, 05:52 PM

I have recently installed my new 8500. Coming from a Kuro Elite101 I am very impressed with this set out of the box with some minor settings adjustments. I'm looking forward to breaking it in so it can be professionally calibrated. The information in this thread has helped immensely with the learning curve.

I am having one immediate bothersome issue. My basic setup is all source components connected to AVR (Denon 3301ci) with one HDMI cable running all video from AVR to 8500 (currently HDMI1, but behavior was same on HDMI3). As soon as I power on the 8500, the output on my Comcast box (DCX3400) drops from 1080i to 720p. Has anyone experienced similar STB behavior and have advice on a fix? I am not using the IR extender or having the 8500 control the STB. This is the exact same setup I used with my Kuro, the 8500 is the only new equipment.

Also, is this the best thread for this question? I also subscribe to Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Series Discussion Thread, but don't want to cross post.
post #4780 of 6502 Old 03-13-2014, 10:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Gabatta,

Are you sure that your Comcast box isn't output native resolution and you were only looking at a 720p station?
Dougofthenorth likes this.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #4781 of 6502 Old 03-14-2014, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

Gabatta,

Are you sure that your Comcast box isn't output native resolution and you were only looking at a 720p station?

Yes, I am 100% positive this isn't the case. The box is outputting native, however the station/content is 1080i.
post #4782 of 6502 Old 03-14-2014, 05:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabatta View Post

Yes, I am 100% positive this isn't the case. The box is outputting native, however the station/content is 1080i.

If it's not your cable box and it's not the station, then it has to be your AVR.

My wife keeps bumping the aspect button on our Harmony 1 remote......and doesn't notice that everyone looks like they put on 40 lbs. You'd be surprised how things get changed.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #4783 of 6502 Old 03-14-2014, 05:31 AM

Quote:

If it's not your cable box and it's not the station, then it has to be your AVR.

I don't believe that is the case. This exact set up (including AVR) functioned perfectly with previous Kuro. The only thing that is changed the display (8500). It is specifically when the 8500 powers on that the change occurs.
post #4784 of 6502 Old 03-14-2014, 05:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I don't believe that is the case. This exact set up (including AVR) functioned perfectly with previous Kuro. The only thing that is changed the display (8500). It is specifically when the 8500 powers on that the change occurs.

Do any inputs identify themselves as 1080i on the F8500?

post #4785 of 6502 Old 03-14-2014, 06:11 AM

Quote:

Do any inputs identify themselves as 1080i on the F8500?

Sorry for my newbness here. Can you explain exactly what you mean by that, how to check the inputs on the TV? When I change over to BluRay, the display briefly shows it is receiving 1080/24 as intended (AVR is passing video through native as well to let the display to do any scaling).

HDMI handshakes are always a headache. I will go through the pain of trial and error (connect Comcast STB directly to 8500, etc.). My system is hardwired through a cabinet and wall, so that is time consuming. I am asking here in the hope others have had similar experiences or a suggestion on how to remedy.
post #4786 of 6502 Old 03-14-2014, 06:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:

Unlike your KURO, the HDMI communicates with the 8500. If you had power on when you hooked up, you may have sent the wrong EDID signal to the TV. You may be able to reset this by unplugging everything, turn the set on for a moment, then shut it off and disconnect  the power then reconnect the HDMI then plug the AC back in and try from there. Make sure you are using HDMI 1.3 cables as a lesser rated cable will work fine with your older set.

Gabatta likes this.
post #4787 of 6502 Old 03-14-2014, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:

Sorry for my newbness here. Can you explain exactly what you mean by that, how to check the inputs on the TV? When I change over to BluRay, the display briefly shows it is receiving 1080/24 as intended (AVR is passing video through native as well to let the display to do any scaling).
Press the 'i info' button on the TV remote, it will show 1080i or 720p etc.
My box is set to 1080i since that provides the best picture for me.

Somehow, the TV thinks 720p is the best resolution for that input, could be because of the AVR in between.
Have you tried disabling Anynet HDMI-CEC on the TV? it might mean less HDMI communication between the units during handshake.
Gabatta likes this.
post #4788 of 6502 Old 03-14-2014, 06:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

HDMI handshakes are always a headache. I will go through the pain of trial and error (connect Comcast STB directly to 8500, etc.). My system is hardwired through a cabinet and wall, so that is time consuming. I am asking here in the hope others have had similar experiences or a suggestion on how to remedy.

Unfortunately, it does sound like a case of trial and error.

Try hooking up your Comcast box directly to the display and see if you get the correct resolution displayed. That's as good a place as any to start.
Gabatta likes this.

post #4789 of 6502 Old 03-14-2014, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KONICA TECH View Post

You may be able to reset this by unplugging everything, turn the set on for a moment, then shut it off and disconnect  the power then reconnect the HDMI then plug the AC back in and try from there.

This seems to have worked. The STB is now outputting native resolution and switching correctly by station, this is confirmed by the 8500 display. Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickardl View Post

Funny, previously when I first selected a source or the resolution, the pulldown at the top of the screen displayed 1920x1080/60p, 1280x720/60p, etc. However when I pressed info on the 8500 remote, nothing displayed on the screen. After doing the reset described above, the info button now works as intended.

Many more obsessive questions about random issues to come...
post #4790 of 6502 Old 03-14-2014, 06:50 AM

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickardl View Post

My box is set to 1080i since that provides the best picture for me.

Pressing the "info" button on the AA59-00784C (push button) remote displays nothing on my 64F8500 that is set up with a TiVo direct to HDMI 1 - The TiVo is set presently to 1080i because it's what it feels the F8500 wants to see. I can change the TiVo to various outputs if I needed or wanted to. Is that why the "info" button displays nothing? The only "info" banner I see is at cold-start. Occasionally I have had my TiVo display an "info" splash momentarily that wasn't requested by any push-button of either remote, Samsung mentioned or the TiVo. It's never been a nuisance so I just ignore.
post #4791 of 6502 Old 03-14-2014, 07:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

This seems to have worked. The STB is now outputting native resolution and switching correctly by station, this is confirmed by the 8500 display. Thanks!
Funny, previously when I first selected a source or the resolution, the pulldown at the top of the screen displayed 1920x1080/60p, 1280x720/60p, etc. However when I pressed info on the 8500 remote, nothing displayed on the screen. After doing the reset described above, the info button now works as intended.

Many more obsessive questions about random issues to come...

Always like to help a neighbor!:)

post #4792 of 6502 Old 03-14-2014, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Pressing the "info" button on the AA59-00784C (push button) remote displays nothing on my 64F8500 that is set up with a TiVo direct to HDMI 1 - The TiVo is set presently to 1080i because it's what it feels the F8500 wants to see. I can change the TiVo to various outputs if I needed or wanted to. Is that why the "info" button displays nothing? The only "info" banner I see is at cold-start. Occasionally I have had my TiVo display an "info" splash momentarily that wasn't requested by any push-button of either remote, Samsung mentioned or the TiVo. It's never been a nuisance so I just ignore.
Odd. try the reset KONICA TECH recommended.
My 'i info'' always shows the resolution, I don't recall it ever not working as it should.
My box is set to 1080i and directly connected to the TV and the info display reads "HDMI2/DVI | 1920x1080 / 50i".
post #4793 of 6502 Old 03-14-2014, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

you are lucky, we have many owners who want to shut off the info banner!

post #4794 of 6502 Old 03-14-2014, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KONICA TECH View Post

you are lucky, we have many owners who want to shut off the info banner!
I don't mind it all, I find it quite useful... wink.gif
post #4795 of 6502 Old 03-14-2014, 08:13 AM
Advanced Member

I am working on at least getting rid of the black overlay that drops down and maybe having just the info....

post #4796 of 6502 Old 03-14-2014, 09:16 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Anyone else notice a recent update from the "info banner" stating effectively that later this month paid apps will no longer work from the Smart menu (or some such)? Any insight on what this is all about?
post #4797 of 6502 Old 03-14-2014, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icelt View Post

Anyone else notice a recent update from the "info banner" stating effectively that later this month paid apps will no longer work from the Smart menu (or some such)? Any insight on what this is all about?

Yes, and I do not use any apps

post #4798 of 6502 Old 03-14-2014, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 79

Yup. Saw that scroll by yesterday.

I don't use any apps either.

post #4799 of 6502 Old 03-14-2014, 10:46 AM

Liked: 168
App-tastic! I use Skype that's it. The camera and large screen make it great for family confabs.
post #4800 of 6502 Old 03-14-2014, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by icelt View Post

New F8500 owner here and yes I saw that "info banner" scroll across the screen last night.

This "will" date me but what is a paid APP? Is the Netflix app considered to be a paid app?

How well does the Netflix app work with the F8500? Is it basically the same interface/operation as with my PS3?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page