Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk) - Page 166 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #4951 of 6508 Old 03-19-2014, 05:54 AM
 
pieandchips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,944
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Camaro its probably time for a ticket. Logic board replacement no doubt. Pulling plug for an hour and factory resetting without resolve means a visit from a tech I think frown.gif
pieandchips is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4952 of 6508 Old 03-19-2014, 05:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
JimP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Wetumpka, AL
Posts: 15,261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Camaro

Do you recall if you had just previously done something when it first started?

Mine was directly connected to trying to cancel the notifications. I think Pie's was too.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
JimP is offline  
post #4953 of 6508 Old 03-19-2014, 06:03 AM
 
pieandchips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,944
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 168
^ After deleting the message I got the Samsung Screen Saver appearing randomly when watching TV on any input. It was defeatable by pressing a button on the remote but annoying none-the-less.

A power cycle fixed it.
pieandchips is offline  
post #4954 of 6508 Old 03-19-2014, 06:51 AM
Senior Member
 
CamaroDrvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 286
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougofthenorth View Post

It appears the issue might be with the HDMI circuit
Did you try the other non-HDMI inputs?
That would narrow it down to what circuit the issue is in, or if it occurs with all input circuits - then that points to another issue

I had tried every cable out and a reset through the hidden menu and it was still doing it. However, based on your network comment, instead of plugging it back in after the reset I left the network out and wa-la, the picture stays on properly. If I put the network cable back in after it is on it continue to work even after it logs in to Samsung, however if I turn it on with the network cable in it goes back to the same issue.

If this holds then I will wait for the next firmware upgrade to see if it fixes itself, if not then a service call.
CamaroDrvr is offline  
post #4955 of 6508 Old 03-19-2014, 06:54 AM
Senior Member
 
CamaroDrvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 286
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by pieandchips View Post

Camaro its probably time for a ticket. Logic board replacement no doubt. Pulling plug for an hour and factory resetting without resolve means a visit from a tech I think frown.gif

I was with you until I removed the wireless network config and kept the network hardwire disconnected. Now it works as long as both the wireless and wired are disabled/disconnected.

Might still take a ticket to fix it but I can live with it until the next firmware update. I had not tried to cancel the message, I usually just just them die on their own and that notification did, so it appears to have something to do with the notifications and network. Very Very odd.
CamaroDrvr is offline  
post #4956 of 6508 Old 03-19-2014, 07:18 AM
Member
 
mithrilG60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Burnaby, BC
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post

Due to the power consumption of plasma tv's, you must be careful with the type of power cord. If less than 6 feet long, use a 18AWG cord, if longer, use a thicker 14AWG power cord. You are setting yourself up for a fire hazard if you use too thin of a power cord. The cord that comes with tv is 18 AWG, so if you want something longer, use 14AWG.

The cord I use is a 12AWG server grade cable from my data centre at work, I'm not worried about overheating from conductance wink.gif

Samsung PN64F8500
Denon AVR-790
Jamo: S 40 centre channel, S 403 front satellites, and S 40 sub
OrbAudio: Mod1X rear satellites
Popcorn Hour A-200
2x Debian NAS/Media Servers - 28TB & growing
AppleTV 2nd gen
mithrilG60 is offline  
post #4957 of 6508 Old 03-19-2014, 07:18 AM
Advanced Member
 
tboe77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Saskatchewan
Posts: 691
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 112
I wonder if another factory reset, while the set is disconnected from the network, would solve your issue permanently.

No real reason to think so, except that your issue seems to be tied to your network connection somehow. Maybe the available network connection is what allowed the problem to persist after your last factory reset?

Chronic masticator.
Gear: Speakers (Paradigm Reference Studio Series): 40 v4 (front L/R), CC-690 v4 (centre), 20 v4 (surround L/R). PSA XS30 (subwoofer).
Denon AVR-X4000, Emotiva XPA-5, Samsung PN64F8500 (64" plasma), DarbeeVision Darblet DVP5000, PS3, Sony BDP-S6200, Apple TV (3rd gen.), Harmony One, Sennheiser RS180
tboe77 is offline  
post #4958 of 6508 Old 03-19-2014, 07:58 AM
Newbie
 
charwood1111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chere View Post


I'm very much interested in both your PQ observations regarding 1080i and 720p tv content. How does the Samsung fare to the Panny when it comes to scaling, de-interlacing and overall video processing of tv content?

Great post by the way wink.gif

I find that they both do a good job. I found the VT60 to do better with motion, which I noticed on panning shots, a little smoother. I also found that the VT60 cleans up film grain better and noise. I had record band of brothers on my dish when it was on. That series is very grainy to begin with, I always notice it when I watch it, and it gives the series a kind of "older" feel to it. I was surprised when the VT60 cleaned most of this grain up. The 8500 also cleans up the grain just not as good. My pioneer did not clean it up near as good.

When it comes to scaling, de-interlacing I could pick small things apart, but like I said they both do a good job. I need to play around more with cinema smooth setting more. With 1080i content you can turn cinema smooth to auto 1 or 2. While watching the basketball game I turned on auto 1 and it introduced judder. Auto 2 seemed to clean it up and smooth out the picture. So maybe with some fiddling the 8500 can look at smooth as the VT60

The thing I also notice is the sharpness on the 8500. Even when watching dish I notice sharper edges, crisper. Like other have said the VT60 was softer and more cinematic looking. I had always though I preferred the cinematic look, but my mind might be changing a bit. The 8500 might be the best TV I have ever saw for sports.

When I had the VT60 I never wanted it to be brighter (except for the Winter Olympics when they were skiing,bob-sled etc..). I though the VT60 was bright enough and it is, but I am enjoying the added brightness of this set. The 8500 truly is the best of both worlds. For sports and network shows I crank up the brightness and love it. For movies I turn the brightness down and love it ( I did prefer the VT60 for movies ever so slightly).

For an overall TV I would pick the 8500, for movies only I would pick the VT60. Now if they could just have gotten rid of the buzzing (8500) or the fan noise (VT60) they would have been almost perfect.
dsskid likes this.
charwood1111 is offline  
post #4959 of 6508 Old 03-19-2014, 08:02 AM
Member
 
EyeInSky1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mithrilG60 View Post


With the tv on, press: mute, 7, 3, 7, enter.

MRT in the resulting menu is the number of hours on the panel. You'll need a standard remote, not the touch one to do this.

Does this command also work with the 60" model?  I tried this, but it doesn't work.

For the "enter" command, I tried either the 'Return' key and the key in the middle of the 4 arrows.

EyeInSky1970 is offline  
post #4960 of 6508 Old 03-19-2014, 08:22 AM
 
pieandchips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,944
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 168
^ You need a hard button remote and go quite slow.
pieandchips is offline  
post #4961 of 6508 Old 03-19-2014, 08:26 AM
Senior Member
 
9179mhb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 379
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tboe77 View Post

I wonder if another factory reset, while the set is disconnected from the network, would solve your issue permanently.

No real reason to think so, except that your issue seems to be tied to your network connection somehow. Maybe the available network connection is what allowed the problem to persist after your last factory reset?

Try removing all cached and network configuration entries from the TV & the router (e.g. reboot router) then reconfigure the TV's network information using just one (wired or wireless) connection and see if this resolves the problem.
9179mhb is offline  
post #4962 of 6508 Old 03-19-2014, 08:29 AM
 
pieandchips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,944
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDrvr View Post

I was with you until I removed the wireless network config and kept the network hardwire disconnected. Now it works as long as both the wireless and wired are disabled/disconnected.

Might still take a ticket to fix it but I can live with it until the next firmware update. I had not tried to cancel the message, I usually just just them die on their own and that notification did, so it appears to have something to do with the notifications and network. Very Very odd.

Perhaps still worth calling it in. You can always stop a visit from a tech.
Do you still get sound when the screen goes black?

It's like it's a menu overlay getting in the way from some fault with the network chipset or logic that talks to it (as you say WiFi and hard wired).
pieandchips is offline  
post #4963 of 6508 Old 03-19-2014, 08:30 AM
Member
 
EyeInSky1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15

Just discovered it...

 

It is MUTE, MUTE, 7, 3, 7

 

Pressing mute twice (to turn it on & off) before the 7,3,7 did the trick.

 

Panel's temp is 42

# of hours is over 60

 

I still have the horizontal banding though, and doesn't seem to be going away any more :-(

 

It's a 2" thick horizontal band going from left to right, and while subtle is noticeable on solid colored scenes.

 

During the end credits, the buzzing is also very noticeable from 12-15 feet away.  If you turn your head to the side (so your ear is pointing to the TV) you can REALLY hear it!  Hopefully tonight I will have the opportunity to try the WOW pixel inverter.  If that doesn't do the trick I think I will exchange this 60" out for the 64".  It sounds like most people are having better luck with the 64".  It's a LOT more expensive though, but if that's what it takes to remove the problems that (by itself) is worth the additional $.

 

Heck, if the roles were reversed (the 64" was the one with the problems and the 60" was the more trouble-free model) I would easily downgrade to the smaller size even if the savings was only a couple hundred bucks.

EyeInSky1970 is offline  
post #4964 of 6508 Old 03-19-2014, 08:50 AM
 
pieandchips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,944
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9179mhb View Post

Try removing all cached and network configuration entries from the TV & the router (e.g. reboot router) then reconfigure the TV's network information using just one (wired or wireless) connection and see if this resolves the problem.

A factory reset would do this too (aside from the router)?
Even so, it's a strange event...
pieandchips is offline  
post #4965 of 6508 Old 03-19-2014, 08:58 AM
Senior Member
 
9179mhb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 379
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 50
A wired versus a wireless connection to the Internet is preferable and wireless connectivity is more for convenience rather than throughput.

Assuming one is using the same gateway to access the WAN, there isn't a good reason to configure/use both interfaces at the same time.
9179mhb is offline  
post #4966 of 6508 Old 03-19-2014, 09:29 AM
 
pieandchips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,944
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 168
^ That's not an answer to the question wink.gif
The TV uses either/or not both at the same time.
pieandchips is offline  
post #4967 of 6508 Old 03-19-2014, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
wxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,670
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDrvr View Post

I was with you until I removed the wireless network config and kept the network hardwire disconnected. Now it works as long as both the wireless and wired are disabled/disconnected.

Might still take a ticket to fix it but I can live with it until the next firmware update. I had not tried to cancel the message, I usually just just them die on their own and that notification did, so it appears to have something to do with the notifications and network. Very Very odd.

Try turning auto update of FW off on tv, without being connected to internet. That could be hung up. My guess it is a hosed up app that may have been updated automatically, but did not download properly. You may need to delete those apps, and add them back. The other thing it could be is the onscreen channel guide if you set up your cable or satellite box with smarthub. Your tv will try and download that info, and if for some reason that is messed up, you may have issues.

"The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory"
wxman is offline  
post #4968 of 6508 Old 03-19-2014, 10:18 AM
 
pieandchips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,944
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 168
^ Not wanting to jerk everyone around wink.gif I will say again:

Doesn't a factory reset default everything including network config / smart apps and the hub?
It's something Sammy would say do and Camero already has.
pieandchips is offline  
post #4969 of 6508 Old 03-19-2014, 10:24 AM
Senior Member
 
CamaroDrvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 286
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by pieandchips View Post

Perhaps still worth calling it in. You can always stop a visit from a tech.
Do you still get sound when the screen goes black?

It's like it's a menu overlay getting in the way from some fault with the network chipset or logic that talks to it (as you say WiFi and hard wired).

Yes I still get sound and yes I think it is like a menu overlay as I see the picture through a gray mask before it turned normal and then goes out, so it is definately something to do with the Java side of the house.

I think you might be right, I'll call it in with my workaround so they have the issue logged and see about a tech looking at it, my thinking was that it still might be a true failure and not just a firmware issue.

I really don't want a tech messing with it if it can be avoided as that really raises the risk of some more happening to it. I saw on the panny fan fix the techs in a number of cases did not put the back of the TV on properly and it lead to broken screens.

It also looks like this is somehow tied to that last notification, or more specifically deleting it once read.
CamaroDrvr is offline  
post #4970 of 6508 Old 03-19-2014, 10:31 AM
Senior Member
 
CamaroDrvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 286
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by pieandchips View Post

^ Not wanting to jerk everyone around wink.gif I will say again:

Doesn't a factory reset default everything including network config / smart apps and the hub?
It's something Sammy would say do and Camero already has.

It sure as heck wiped all of my config out, so I would say the answer is a clear Yes. I think one of the reasons my early tests failed to fix it was that I pulled the hardwire ethernet but forgot I have configured the wireless to just check it out. After the hard reset the wireless config was wiped and as long as it can't see the network, it works.

What I am 100% sure was cleared / reset:
All picture tuning changes
All User preferences (Boot logo etc)
Wired and Wireless network config
Channel Line up
CAL-DAY & Night modes from the normal menu (have to turn them back on)
All Smart app config, browser history and favorites
Time and Date

Anything you set or entered or was a result of your activity is wiped.
CamaroDrvr is offline  
post #4971 of 6508 Old 03-19-2014, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
wxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,670
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDrvr View Post

It sure as heck wiped all of my config out, so I would say the answer is a clear Yes. I think one of the reasons my early tests failed to fix it was that I pulled the hardwire ethernet but forgot I have configured the wireless to just check it out. After the hard reset the wireless config was wiped and as long as it can't see the network, it works.

What I am 100% sure was cleared / reset:
All picture tuning changes
All User preferences (Boot logo etc)
Wired and Wireless network config
Channel Line up
CAL-DAY & Night modes from the normal menu (have to turn them back on)
All Smart app config, browser history and favorites
Time and Date

Anything you set or entered or was a result of your activity is wiped.

Did you set up your cable box up with smarthub? With an internet connection it will try and download the channel guide if connected to internet. So even though you did a reset, if you did the setup for STB again after reset, it may cause the same problem, if the channel guide it downloads is messed up. Since the cable companies only update the guide once a week, you may have to wait for the next cycle where you can connect to internet and download a guide that is not hosed up.

"The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory"
wxman is offline  
post #4972 of 6508 Old 03-19-2014, 10:47 AM
Senior Member
 
WVZR1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 238
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDrvr View Post

It sure as heck wiped all of my config out, so I would say the answer is a clear Yes. I think one of the reasons my early tests failed to fix it was that I pulled the hardwire ethernet but forgot I have configured the wireless to just check it out. After the hard reset the wireless config was wiped and as long as it can't see the network, it works.

What I am 100% sure was cleared / reset:
All picture tuning changes
All User preferences (Boot logo etc)
Wired and Wireless network config
Channel Line up
CAL-DAY & Night modes from the normal menu (have to turn them back on)
All Smart app config, browser history and favorites
Time and Date

Anything you set or entered or was a result of your activity is wiped.

That's why I suggested a call, if when looking at your settings presently I'd think an engineer/technician might likely be able to save all of your settings, apply the fix and reapply the display to the as configured previously. Regardless it could be considered a fix likely, the conversation with a good engineer/technician could be quite interesting. Usually if they're presented with intelligent questions you can get intelligent responses. If they're instructed to "no conversations" that could certainly change.

make the call - they'll tell you what they want connected and I'd guess just the display plugged in with a hard-wired connection if it's available. I believe I'd pass on a wireless attempt for a fix.
WVZR1 is offline  
post #4973 of 6508 Old 03-19-2014, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
wxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,670
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 182
A quick way to tell if it is the channel guide, go into setup on tv, when it asks for what provider you have, choose not listed, and it will ignore downloading channel guide when connected to internet. If tv works after that, connected to internet, you will know it was the downloaded guide.

"The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory"
wxman is offline  
post #4974 of 6508 Old 03-19-2014, 11:13 AM
 
pieandchips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,944
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Not having ever used the inbuilt guide I cannot help in that department. It would make sense as Smart Hub doesn't use it. Still a whacky logic issue if so...
pieandchips is offline  
post #4975 of 6508 Old 03-19-2014, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rickardl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 1,937
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDrvr View Post

Anything you set or entered or was a result of your activity is wiped.
A Samsung tech did a remote factory reset on my set and it even reset the hours used to 0 apparently.
Does that happen with the reset from the normal menu as well?
rickardl is online now  
post #4976 of 6508 Old 03-19-2014, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
wxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,670
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickardl View Post

A Samsung tech did a remote factory reset on my set and it even reset the hours used to 0 apparently.
Does that happen with the reset from the normal menu as well?

A reset performed by owner does not reset hours to zero. So samsung must enter a different command with their reset.

"The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory"
wxman is offline  
post #4977 of 6508 Old 03-19-2014, 01:41 PM
Member
 
Dirtold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 122
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My 8500 is connected to a Cox Cable STB. I understand that their video feed is 720p or 720i, not sure which.
I believe Direct TV's video feed can be 1080. I'm thinking of switching video service to Direct TV if there is good reason to do so.
There has been a lot of displeasure with Direct TV's ability to charge credit cards without knowledge or approval so I am somewhat
reluctant to switch without some positive reinforcement for Direct TVs service.

Anyone have comments either for or against or suggestions of alternatives?

Thanks in advance.
Dirtold is offline  
post #4978 of 6508 Old 03-19-2014, 01:41 PM
Senior Member
 
music_to_my_ear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 471
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

Hey guys.

Looks like we all have 2014 displays.

Samsung axed the H7000 and is carrying over the F8500s.

My thoughts.....they're more profitable for Samsung than replacing them with a cheaper model.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/samsung-h7000-201403153671.htm

Wow....I just read the review on the h5000 and I'm floored with its black level reading of 0.0016 mll ! That's deeper than the f8500 and on par with the zt60! And it has excellent color accuracy. All this from a budget plasma!? WOW!

The us model doesn't have a light filter or 24p mode but the performance is just mind boggling for its price
music_to_my_ear is offline  
post #4979 of 6508 Old 03-19-2014, 02:15 PM
 
pieandchips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,944
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_to_my_ear View Post

Wow....I just read the review on the h5000 and I'm floored with its black level reading of 0.0016 mll !

Read through the lines wink.gif That is with BO enabled and showing a full black screen.
pieandchips is offline  
post #4980 of 6508 Old 03-19-2014, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
wxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,670
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtold View Post

My 8500 is connected to a Cox Cable STB. I understand that their video feed is 720p or 720i, not sure which.
I believe Direct TV's video feed can be 1080. I'm thinking of switching video service to Direct TV if there is good reason to do so.
There has been a lot of displeasure with Direct TV's ability to charge credit cards without knowledge or approval so I am somewhat
reluctant to switch without some positive reinforcement for Direct TVs service.

Anyone have comments either for or against or suggestions of alternatives?

Thanks in advance.

I switched from cable to DirecTV 2 months ago. With the directv box, you can set resolution to 1080i, 720p, native, etc. I set mine to native so when a station is 720p, it sends the 720p signal directly to my tv. When the network is 1080i, it sends the 1080i signal to my tv, and so on. No station broadcasts 1080p. I have had no issue with credit cards. Now if you sign up for auto renewal of prime packages such as NFL, MLB, NHL, etc, you will get automatically billed again the following season unless you call them to cancel.

"The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory"
wxman is offline  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off