Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk) - Page 175 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5221 of 7812 Old 03-29-2014, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by pieandchips View Post

^ There is no end to this madness wink.gif

Now to relax and actually watch some TV without worrying about it! - AMEN BRO' AMEN quote]

I once had an extra large sized LUTs - but my wife shrunk it in the dryer - so I put it in the Goodwill bin biggrin.gif

------------------------
Regards,

Dougofthenorth

Save turtles:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5222 of 7812 Old 03-29-2014, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 50
How energy efficient is the 64F8500? I've had mine for about (1) month and noticed a significant increase with the number of KWh used for my current electric bill and I'm wondering what, if anything, can be attributed to the F8500?
post #5223 of 7812 Old 03-29-2014, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 169
^ That depends how bright you drive it and what size you have, but Plasmas do suck quite a bit of juice.
post #5224 of 7812 Old 03-29-2014, 09:47 AM

My electric usage increased by 10% during the past month over Feb's. amount.

For most of that time I have been watching the 64F8500 with its Energy Saving mode set to: medium.

I replaced a 50" PDP in the MBR with a 60" PDP so I guess running (2) 64"/60" PDPs instead of (2) 60"/50" PDPs would increase my energy consumption some, but 10%?

The 50" PDP was moved to another bedroom and has not been used since I received my F8500.

My viewing habits haven't really changed so I just don't get it.
post #5225 of 7812 Old 03-29-2014, 09:54 AM

It's probable you did have the new F8500 turned on for longer than you usually do? New toy, have to play? wink.gif
post #5226 of 7812 Old 03-29-2014, 09:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:

Yeah I'm interested in LUTs too, but I have to draw the line somewhere.
What I have already is 100% acceptable to me and anyone else who views it.

Plus I really don't have the time to mess around with the setup so much any more.

Now to relax and actually watch some TV without worrying about it!

When the day comes that a mega impressive TV comes out in 5+ years, then I'll look into things more seriously again for another round of upgrades.

*putting a buck a day in the jar* biggrin.gif

After my last couple of DIY calibrations, I too ask myself if the added accuracy is worth the effort in doing LUTs calibrations.

Since there are multiple memories on the LUTs box, hopefully, I'll be able to tell you in a week or so how a LUTs calibration compares to a traditional calibration on the F8500.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #5227 of 7812 Old 03-29-2014, 10:01 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougofthenorth View Post

Does Screen Fit zoom it enough?
Maybe your BR player has settings to zoom it ?

Hey thanks for all the suggestions. Right now I'm playing blurays off of my ps3 which I don't think has any picture alteration functions. My ps4 seems to have a zoom and full feature, but I just tested it out on my old lcd and nothing seemed to happen.

Little disappointed that samsung limits which content you can zoom, especially during the early life of the panel. Looks like i'll just stick with the dnice/evangelo2 slides and true 16:9 blu ray content until I get to about 100 hours or so.

If anyone thinks of anything else in the meantime I'm all ears!

post #5228 of 7812 Old 03-29-2014, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9179mhb View Post

My electric usage increased by 10% during the past month over Feb's. amount.

For most of that time I have been watching the 64F8500 with its Energy Saving mode set to: medium.

I replaced a 50" PDP in the MBR with a 60" PDP so I guess running (2) 64"/60" PDPs instead of (2) 60"/50" PDPs would increase my energy consumption some, but 10%?

The 50" PDP was moved to another bedroom and has not been used since I received my F8500.

My viewing habits haven't really changed so I just don't get it.

Did you run break-in slides?

I hooked up a electric meter and averaged 300watts on the 64 F8500...that will cost me ~$6 a month.

Not sure where you live, but it's been a cold winter in the Northeast U.S.
post #5229 of 7812 Old 03-29-2014, 11:44 AM

Liked: 13
I am passing everything through a Denon 3310, and no lip sync issues from any source (including Oppo).
post #5230 of 7812 Old 03-29-2014, 12:15 PM

Quote:

It's probable you did have the new F8500 turned on for longer than you usually do? New toy, have to play? wink.gif

This is true. wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpp8140 View Post

Did you run break-in slides?

I hooked up a electric meter and averaged 300watts on the 64 F8500...that will cost me ~$6 a month.

Not sure where you live, but it's been a cold winter in the Northeast U.S.

I live in Upstate NY and heat my home with natural gas.

One thing I have been during recently on weekends is to leave both PDPs running w/full screen content displayed for hours at a time to mitigate any chance of IR.

However, I have done this in the past (maybe not quite as much as recently) w/o noticing a big spike w/electrical consumption.

My electricity usage is up 10% during March compared to February and a whopping 20% versus this time last year. eek.gif
post #5231 of 7812 Old 03-29-2014, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

This is true. wink.gif
I live in Upstate NY and heat my home with natural gas.

One thing I have been during recently on weekends is to leave both PDPs running w/full screen content displayed for hours at a time to mitigate any chance of IR.

However, I have done this in the past (maybe not quite as much as recently) w/o noticing a big spike w/electrical consumption.

My electricity usage is up 10% during March compared to February and a whopping 20% versus this time last year. eek.gif

There is some kind of big scam going on with electricity consumption this year Ontario Hydro customers have had huge spikes in consumption this year
They have an investigation underway as we speak - mine was almost double the Kw use for each day this Dec to Mar billing period that any time in the last 30 years
We have even converted to a 96% hi-efficiency propane furnace & heat mainly with wood.
Propane doubled in cost this year - gov't is also investigating that.

Funny this is occurring since they changed my "old" smart meter for a newer one in Oct 2013
The Hydro CSR said it's probably my elec. panel that is getting too old & other crap *pharrts out smoke blown up derriere* rolleyes.gif

2 months ago changed it again - a little less - promised to put on metering equipment - never happened despite many calls to them to fulfil that promise

Ontario Hydro has just submitted for approval of a 40% increase in consumption costs that they can charge to customers eek.gif

I guess they took the cost early

It's all a scam to me - we are blatantly being robbed mad.gif

------------------------
Regards,

Dougofthenorth

Save turtles:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5232 of 7812 Old 03-29-2014, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 84

Seeing a potential problem that I know is the cause of some setting not turned on correctly...

I am watching the 3D Blu-ray of The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug.

There continuous brightness correction happening.  Might be the dreaded bright spots.

Best I can describe it is cut to a new scene, the brightness level fluctuates, as if it is correcting itself.

Not only seeing it on this 3D Blu-ray title but another I watched earlier this week, so I know it's not the disc or player.

Anyone know what setting I need to turn on/off to stop this from happening?

post #5233 of 7812 Old 03-29-2014, 01:16 PM

^ More importantly how did you get hold of a copy of Smaug?! cool.gif

The common issue is not having CS enabled, but others have commented they still get them with CS enabled. On my small selection of 3D discs, I no longer get them with CS enabled.
It may also depend on the disc.

YMMV.
post #5234 of 7812 Old 03-29-2014, 03:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

After my last couple of DIY calibrations, I too ask myself if the added accuracy is worth the effort in doing LUTs calibrations.

Since there are multiple memories on the LUTs box, hopefully, I'll be able to tell you in a week or so how a LUTs calibration compares to a traditional calibration on the F8500.
I am waiting on some trusting people to do that comparison and you fit the bill. I will be very interested in your findings. I too made a comparison of the Auto Calibration on DVDO Duo 21 point and a Lumagen 125 point against my own Calibration. I have to say it was better on the Lumagen in small noticable ways. But could I walk across the street and tell you that's the Lumagen or a straight good Calibration. I don't think so. But I am older and with older eyes. Some of the younger people here may be able to spot it a minute.

Nothing's Perfect So Stop Expecting It ! Glenee

post #5235 of 7812 Old 03-29-2014, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenee View Post

I am waiting on some trusting people to do that comparison and you fit the bill. I will be very interested in your findings. I too made a comparison of the Auto Calibration on DVDO Duo 21 point and a Lumagen 125 point against my own Calibration. I have to say it was better on the Lumagen in small noticable ways. But could I walk across the street and tell you that's the Lumagen or a straight good Calibration. I don't think so. But I am older and with older eyes. Some of the younger people here may be able to spot it a minute.

Timing to AutoCal the PN64F8500 - Grayscale 21 Point - 9 Minutes at .1 dE. 125 Point 3D LUT at .5 dE 28 Minutes. (.1 dE - 1 hour 45 minutes) Both have come a long way from the old days where it was 3 hours for both!
post #5236 of 7812 Old 03-29-2014, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:

How energy efficient is the 64F8500? I've had mine for about (1) month and noticed a significant increase with the number of KWh used for my current electric bill and I'm wondering what, if anything, can be attributed to the F8500?
mine fluctuates between 350-550 watts....

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
post #5237 of 7812 Old 03-30-2014, 12:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
More importantly how did you get hold of a copy of Smaug?!

I am an owner of a competing site that does Blu-ray reviews.

Quote:
The common issue is not having CS enabled, but others have commented they still get them with CS enabled. On my small selection of 3D discs, I no longer get them with CS enabled.
It may also depend on the disc.

Great.  I don't want to go through having to enable CS and all the problems that go with that.

Guess I will just have to put up with the problem.

post #5238 of 7812 Old 03-30-2014, 02:08 AM
Advanced Member

By the way...

Just applied CINEMA SMOOTH to the 3D Blu-ray settings.

It completely eliminated the light fluctuation.

In fact, the 3D image looks much better.

I know that there are arguments for and against using Cinema Smooth, but in this case, it actually improved the 3D image (more film-like picture) and eliminated bright spots.

I see no added eye strain problems using Cinema Smooth while watching 3D.

icelt likes this.
post #5239 of 7812 Old 03-30-2014, 04:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein View Post

By the way...

Just applied CINEMA SMOOTH to the 3D Blu-ray settings.

It completely eliminated the light fluctuation.

In fact, the 3D image looks much better.

I know that there are arguments for and against using Cinema Smooth, but in this case, it actually improved the 3D image (more film-like picture) and eliminated bright spots.

I see no added eye strain problems using Cinema Smooth while watching 3D.

Ron,

Glad you found a fix

Do you think this fix is relative to only certain discs that "pop", or all discs that "pop"?

Also, is it in anyway related to having 24p enabled?

------------------------
Regards,

Dougofthenorth

Save turtles:

post #5240 of 7812 Old 03-30-2014, 06:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by airgas1998 View Post

Max draw is $600 right ? Its on the back of the serial number plate, or near there.

Forum Sponsor // \\

1-866-651-0049 // \\

/
/

/

/
post #5241 of 7812 Old 03-30-2014, 07:30 AM

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by airgas1998 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Max draw is $600 right ? Its on the back of the serial number plate, or near there.

I've never noticed anything close to the 550 but I've not actually paid any attention until it's been mentioned recently. Mine sees generally just cable feed from a TiVo. I put my TiVo, AVR and the F8500 on the same KW meter for a test and the meter cruises 295 - 390 depending it seems on the content. I switched the source to TV and I've got an RF cable connection to the display also and it spiked to 400+ so it seems to depend on how hard one's working the F8500. I switched the source to something that was generating nothing and the meter dropped way below 300 to maybe a more consistent 265. I would think that any "SMART" app that works the processor would push the consumption way high. I didn't try that.
post #5242 of 7812 Old 03-30-2014, 07:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Ron,

Glad you found a fix

Do you think this fix is relative to only certain discs that "pop", or all discs that "pop"?

I started noticing the problem last week when watching the 3D, Flying Swords of Dragon Gate.

Brightness would often fluctuate.  There seemed to be hot brightness spots as well.

Noticed the same problem with The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug.

As soon as I turned on Cinema Smooth, the problem was gone.

Now, I know some people hate Cinema Smooth.  Some people even report they get more dizzy watching 3D with it turned on.

I can tell you that I found the image to be better (more film-like) with CS turned on, and, no difference in 3D motion affecting my eyes.

This whole CS "on" and "off" issue is a huge cluster-F.  I wish Samsung did not have such a feature because it's the most confusing, often disputed feature of the display.  There is also a bug that almost makes certain you can't tell if CS is actually turned on or off...

...so who knows what the hell I might even be looking at.  All I know is that I made the image better today.

post #5243 of 7812 Old 03-30-2014, 07:59 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15

Hello everyone,

I finally landed on a keeper F8500 set.  After switching out two 60" models, I ended up with a 64" model.  The picture is 100% band free, and also free of any dead pixels.  The buzzing projecting from the front/center is very subtle.  Hopefully it will decrease over time, but even as it is now I don't really hear it during normal movie playback.

I have noticed just one final anomaly that I would like to address to other owners of the F8500 in hopes to see if any of you have experienced the same thing and know a fix for it.

I currently am running HDMI from the Oppo Blu-Ray player to the receiver, and from the receiver to the TV.  What I am noticing is... on rare occasion the picture may have a quick "stutter" to it.  I just watched Gravity last night, and noticed that it happened 3 or 4 times.  On my 40" Sony LCD TV, I never noticed this happening at all.  I have also noticed the stuttering jerk happening with DirecTV a couple times as well.  What bothers me is that I don't remember seeing any stutters with either of the 60" models I had.  Just this one (and I have everything hooked up the same way).

I do realize there can sometimes be a stutter when you are changing options (i.e., Cinema Smoothing, or anti-judder controls).  Or, sometimes even when you step forward to other chapters there can be a brief stutter within a few seconds of the movie resuming.  I tested turning Cinema Smoothing to off, and that doesn't seem to be the cause.  I'm going to try some tests of connecting the blu-ray player direct to the TV.  But I doubt that's the problem since my 40" TV had no stuttering issues (and I don't recall seeing it on the 60").  I may even turn off the Internet Wi-Fi aspect of the TV in case that's what is interfering.

Have any of you guys experienced the stutter I am speaking about?  Is there another link on AVS that talks about this issue in more detail?

Thanks in advance!

post #5244 of 7812 Old 03-30-2014, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

yup,in that area. can't check for exact # mine's wall mounted.

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
post #5245 of 7812 Old 03-30-2014, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVZR1 View Post

I've never noticed anything close to the 550 but I've not actually paid any attention until it's been mentioned recently. Mine sees generally just cable feed from a TiVo. I put my TiVo, AVR and the F8500 on the same KW meter for a test and the meter cruises 295 - 390 depending it seems on the content. I switched the source to TV and I've got an RF cable connection to the display also and it spiked to 400+ so it seems to depend on how hard one's working the F8500. I switched the source to something that was generating nothing and the meter dropped way below 300 to maybe a more consistent 265. I would think that any "SMART" app that works the processor would push the consumption way high. I didn't try that.

I use std mode cell 20...I like 50ftl. so yeah I'm pushing mine more than others.

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
post #5246 of 7812 Old 03-30-2014, 08:32 AM

Liked: 10
HDMI problem with my PN51F8500 with Cablevision SA8300HD DVR

Have been enjoying my F8500 for a few weeks now and still tweaking the settings. Recently noticed that the set top box was set to fixed output (box does scaling) rather than auto/hdmi (box passes thru signals). Since changing the box setting to auto/hdmi (which I believe is best for picture) I'm having a new problem. Using HDMI 1 but seems the same on all ports.

All channels appear correct in terms of aspect ration except (for example) channels 8 and 15. The box shows these channels as coming through as 480p (on cable box) but the TV stretches them horizontally as if it is a narrow image. This I don't care about but when one channel scans from 7 to 8 to 9 the TV can't seem to handle the switch from 8 to 9 and gives a white static screen picture. Can only be fixed by shutting plasma off and then turning it on again. Doesn't happen every time but at least half the time. Faster channel changes (surfing) seem to cause it more than slow ones.

Tried different cables and different ports to no avail. Tried using the setup utility for the box and included all resolutions, only 1080i, 1080i and 720p and nothing seems to fix the issue.

Then I tried using component video instead of HDMI. Picture still great and changes channels faster. Most channels come through 1080i or 720p per plasma display. Channels 8 and 15 now come through as 1080i as well in the proper aspect ratio. No white static lockups.

Have a call into Samsung and they are having a technical person call me back within 24 hours.

Has anyone else seen this anomaly? I'm thinking the box is passing garbage on channels 8/15 and the set is having trouble with the handshake. In the bedroom setup I have the same box and an LG LED and it burps on these same channels but doesn't lock up which makes me think it's the set. Very puzzling. Hate to use component and planning to have a calibration pretty soon.

Any thoughts would be appreciated - sorry for the long post.
post #5247 of 7812 Old 03-30-2014, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougofthenorth View Post

There is some kind of big scam going on with electricity consumption this year Ontario Hydro customers have had huge spikes in consumption this year

I took a closer look at my gas & electric bills during the past year and now believe the big spike in my electricity cost is not due to the 64F8500.

National Grid is our primary energy supplier for Upstate NY and my current bill shows a tremendous increase with the "Supply Services" cost to provide gas & electricity to my home.

I never gave it much thought before but with this price spike it may be time to look at alternative energy supply companies that serve my region (e.g. Blue Rock Energy & Ambit Energy).
post #5248 of 7812 Old 03-30-2014, 10:56 AM

Liked: 12

So, I decided to buy a 51 inch f8500 for my bedroom.  The first thing that surprised me was the complete lack of directional buzzing from the set!  That was definitely a pleasant surprise given that pretty much both 60s I ordered buzzed like mad.  Other than this, I expected identical performance to the bigger 60 inch version I have downstairs in my living room.  However, I noticed something very strange and would like your opinion as to whether or not this is normal:

There seems to be two kinds of black that the set produces.  A “bad black” that’s grayish and a “good black” that’s well . . . fairly black in color.  I sometimes notice the TV transitioning between the two based on what kind of content is on the screen.

For example:

- When I start up the set, the Smart TV logo is sitting against a horrible gray background.  This background lingers for a few seconds before slowly darkening to the TV’s “good black” over the course of 2-3 seconds.  This reminds me of what most plasmas do (a quick lowering of the blacks during start-up), but the Samsung seems a little slower to perform this. 

- When having a bright colored BluRay menu pulled up and then switching to one of the special features (like a trailer), the trailer starts out as the light colored black, and then slowly darkens to “good black” over the course of 2-3 seconds.

I haven’t noticed it yet while watching an actual movie, but I’ve only spend one evening with the set so I haven’t really gotten to fully test it out yet.  However, I found this to be very strange.  I’d compare it to the lowering a bulb on a dimmable light switch. 

I currently use a Cell Light of 12-13 and have Dark Room enabled for Black Optimizer.  I tried all the Black Optimizer settings but it didn’t really change this.

Other than this strange little phenomena, I really have no complaints.

post #5249 of 7812 Old 03-30-2014, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
my 64" F8500 does the same dimming with firmware 1119...so does my samsung LCD. I believe it's related to brightness setting in a certain picture mode...something about anything above or below 45 (the default).
post #5250 of 7812 Old 03-30-2014, 11:55 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpp8140 View Post

my 64" F8500 does the same dimming with firmware 1119...so does my samsung LCD. I believe it's related to brightness setting in a certain picture mode...something about anything above or below 45 (the default).

My set(s) are Movie Mode with default brightness setting level of 45.  All enhancements are turned off.  I have not messed with anything else other than the Cell Light lowering.

To better explain what I'm seeing after some further testing: If I put in a disc, pretty much whenever I start scrolling through chapters/scenes, ALL chapters start off with a light gray shade, which then slowly lowers to black over the course of 2-3 seconds.  This happens pretty consistently.  It also happens when I change sources.  The biggest offender was the Pioneer Kuro demo disc that has varying objects/people floating on black backgrounds.  Whenever the scenes would change, it would always take the set 2-3 seconds for the blacks to lower to the "appropriate" level.  Whenever I'd skip to the next chapter, it would reset itself again.

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Pn60f8500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page