Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk) - Page 181 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5401 of 7588 Old 04-06-2014, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

There does seem to be a pattern to the 60" models buzzing.

Is the 51" 8500 known to buzz as well?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5402 of 7588 Old 04-06-2014, 08:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post

No

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #5403 of 7588 Old 04-06-2014, 08:31 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have a 60-inch 8500. Maybe it buzzes if I put my ear to it (I haven't tried), but I've never heard it buzz.
post #5404 of 7588 Old 04-06-2014, 09:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pieandchips View Post

^ Yeah that's normal, there will be slight persistence of some things but they go away within minutes.

I am thinking about getting a 64f8500 and one of my concerns is IR....i watch CNN a lot and it has that ticker and logo. Will that mess up the screen over time??
post #5405 of 7588 Old 04-06-2014, 09:37 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
If that's all you watch every day for 10 hours... Probably. If you mix up your content a bit you will be ok. If all you watch is CNN then why even get a plasma... There's no point. I'd get a 8000 if I were you. You don't need to take advantage of better blacks or motion when watching the news. Be especially careful during the first couple hundred hours with what content you watch .... Limit the tickers and letterbars.
post #5406 of 7588 Old 04-06-2014, 09:50 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hove131 View Post

If that's all you watch every day for 10 hours... Probably. If you mix up your content a bit you will be ok. If all you watch is CNN then why even get a plasma... There's no point. I'd get a 8000 if I were you. You don't need to take advantage of better blacks or motion when watching the news. Be especially careful during the first couple hundred hours with what content you watch .... Limit the tickers and letterbars.

i sit off-axis a lot and the colors are washed out on my 08 model year Samsung LED tv...one of the first available. I watch movies and other channels too. No gaming.
post #5407 of 7588 Old 04-06-2014, 10:43 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

A li'l joke there. I turned mine on and just used it. No low contrast or any breakin slides. If you're careful with black bars and logos and vary the content you will be just fine. Other people have different opinions of course. My TV doesn't show any signs or IR or uneven wear.

This. Mixed content and just use it. Same way I "broke in" my old B530. That tv actually did get IR and it was fine after about 500hrs. The F8500 has been completely impervious to any kind of IR over it's first 500hrs, I don't expect anything different now that it's fully bedded in.

Samsung PN64F8500
Denon AVR-790
Jamo: S 40 centre channel, S 403 front satellites, and S 40 sub
OrbAudio: Mod1X rear satellites
Popcorn Hour A-200
2x Debian NAS/Media Servers - 28TB & growing
AppleTV 2nd gen
post #5408 of 7588 Old 04-07-2014, 04:17 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17

PLEASE forgive me ahead of time.....I am not trying to cause any disturbance or refute anybody's claims here.......

I own (4) plasma TV's and I bought a Panny for my parents a couple of years back.  And I have NEVER experienced IR on a single set.  I bugs me to no end to constantly hear about IR issues.  My parents watch MSNBC and FoxNews all the time and their Panny is still beautiful to this day.

My Pioneer Elite, Panny and (2) Samsung are all still running strong.  I would not even think about owning a crappy LCD/LED and been a HAPPY plasma guy for years.

Again......apologizes ahead of time.....but buy a plasma with confidence, especially the F8500 and enjoy your TV.

post #5409 of 7588 Old 04-07-2014, 05:01 AM

Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by aypues View Post

I am thinking about getting a 64f8500 and one of my concerns is IR....i watch CNN a lot and it has that ticker and logo. Will that mess up the screen over time??

CNN and Plasmas aren't the best of friends.
When the Boston bombings occurred I had the channel on for most of the day when they were using the big red 'BREAKING NEWS' logo part.
That hung around for quite a while and finally went away after a couple of days.

You'd have to not watch all day every day as that may well do some damage, especially when the TV is brand new and the phosphors are yet to bake.
post #5410 of 7588 Old 04-07-2014, 05:07 AM

Quote:

Mine does not at all and my hearing is still decent. I had to get the 51 to fit in the location I wanted it otherwise I would have got the 60+. If they made a 55" I would have got that size.
post #5411 of 7588 Old 04-07-2014, 06:59 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tegee26 View Post

PLEASE forgive me ahead of time.....I am not trying to cause any disturbance or refute anybody's claims here.......

I own (4) plasma TV's and I bought a Panny for my parents a couple of years back.  And I have NEVER experienced IR on a single set.  I bugs me to no end to constantly hear about IR issues.  My parents watch MSNBC and FoxNews all the time and their Panny is still beautiful to this day.

My Pioneer Elite, Panny and (2) Samsung are all still running strong.  I would not even think about owning a crappy LCD/LED and been a HAPPY plasma guy for years.

Again......apologizes ahead of time.....but buy a plasma with confidence, especially the F8500 and enjoy your TV.

I would be amazed if any of your Plasma's didn't exhibit some form of IR. All plasmas do. However it's important to understand the difference between IR and Burn In. IR is completely temporary and most will disappear within a few minutes of running a different picture. For instance a channel logo or for that matter black bars from a movie will normally disappear VERY quickly once a full screen picture is run. However Burn In, which is the permanent appearance of some picture/logo on the screen, is VERY rare these days and on most screens you would need to do something quite unusual to cause it.
post #5412 of 7588 Old 04-07-2014, 07:23 AM

^ the Panasonic VT/ZTs are a little more prone to IR and burn, especially for gamers who are not careful.
post #5413 of 7588 Old 04-07-2014, 07:26 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Badger View Post

I would be amazed if any of your Plasma's didn't exhibit some form of IR. All plasmas do. However it's important to understand the difference between IR and Burn In. IR is completely temporary and most will disappear within a few minutes of running a different picture. For instance a channel logo or for that matter black bars from a movie will normally disappear VERY quickly once a full screen picture is run. However Burn In, which is the permanent appearance of some picture/logo on the screen, is VERY rare these days and on most screens you would need to do something quite unusual to cause it.

Well said.....let me rephrase.  With all my plasmas I do not have any burn in and/or permanent IR.  I love my plasmas and IMHO it is a shame that people get scared off by this false knowledge that all plasmas exhibit IR or BI.

Just my two-cents

post #5414 of 7588 Old 04-07-2014, 08:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 582
Quote:

So true, so many times this is misunderstood.......

Forum Sponsor // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1-866-651-0049 // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

/
/

/

/
post #5415 of 7588 Old 04-07-2014, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

^ the Panasonic VT/ZTs are a little more prone to IR and burn, especially for gamers who are not careful.

The Panasonics in general are prone to long-lasting IR, which I always found to be very bizarre. They advanced every aspect of their PQ but for some reason, they could not find a way to eliminate that problem.
post #5416 of 7588 Old 04-07-2014, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked: 804
Quote:

I think when we hear lcd fans talk about the burn in on plasmas being so severe watching an hour of news or playing a video game with a HUD will permanently ruin your tv, the plasma boys decide to stretch the truth the other way and claim no IR at all, when what they really mean is IR has never been a problem for them.

personally, about once a month I switch my Samsung b530 into full screen because my cheap arse cable company still broadcasts all their channels in 4:3 format(which I stretch horizontally to fill the screen) but 90% of the shows are filmed in 16:9 so I end up a choice between black bars top and bottom, or black bars top/bottom/left/right... or zoom in and cut off everything.

anyway, I do get minimal IR because of the black bars top and bottom, if I watched movies, or played games on the tv like I did when it was in my theatre, that would be enough. but right now, all it gets is cable.

the f8500 is way better. I can surf the web for like 5hrs straight, and I'll see a hint of IR when the black screen comes up while switching inputs, and as soon as other content comes on it's invisible again.

anyway, I'd still argue that saying plasmas have 'no IR' is closer to the truth than saying 'burn in is a problem with plasma' biggrin.gif

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #5417 of 7588 Old 04-07-2014, 09:16 AM

Quote:

Mine does not at all and my hearing is still decent.

What?? wink.gif

Same deal here, no buzzing at all from a 51" model.
post #5418 of 7588 Old 04-07-2014, 09:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhaller View Post

The Panasonics in general are prone to long-lasting IR, which I always found to be very bizarre. They advanced every aspect of their PQ but for some reason, they could not find a way to eliminate that problem.

The Pannys are suppose to have a more reference quality picture (after calibration). My guess is that IR is an image quality tradeoff.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #5419 of 7588 Old 04-07-2014, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

The Pannys are suppose to have a more reference quality picture (after calibration). My guess is that IR is an image quality tradeoff.

I doubt that. My signature series Pioneer Elite 101 had no IR issues at all (before or after calibration).
post #5420 of 7588 Old 04-07-2014, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I have a Samsung, a Pioneer and a Panasonic PDP.

The Panasonic PDP is most prone to IR.
post #5421 of 7588 Old 04-07-2014, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Are there any rumors, knowledge or best guesses out there regarding what will replace the 8500 and when? In particular I'd prefer to wait for a new set that has HDMI 2.0 with HDCP 2.2 support for full compatibility with 4K blu-ray when it comes out. Just wondering how long I may be waiting. My older set had the blue channel go bad in the low IREs so you can imagine the picture looks pretty green. But I'd like to try and wait it out before replacing it for that 4K support. Thanks!
post #5422 of 7588 Old 04-07-2014, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

Are there any rumors, knowledge or best guesses out there regarding what will replace the 8500 and when? In particular I'd prefer to wait for a new set that has HDMI 2.0 with HDCP 2.2 support for full compatibility with 4K blu-ray when it comes out. Just wondering how long I may be waiting. My older set had the blue channel go bad in the low IREs so you can imagine the picture looks pretty green. But I'd like to try and wait it out before replacing it for that 4K support. Thanks!

Eh, if you're waiting for Samsung to issue another plasma after the 8500....you may be waiting for a while.

As in, the rest of your life.
post #5423 of 7588 Old 04-07-2014, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhaller View Post

Eh, if you're waiting for Samsung to issue another plasma after the 8500....you may be waiting for a while.

As in, the rest of your life.
Doesn't need to be a plasma. Just whatever next gen replacement model they come out with which is considered just as good if not better overall pq, but with HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 support.
post #5424 of 7588 Old 04-07-2014, 01:59 PM

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by aypues View Post

As a fairly new F8500 owner who is concerned with IR, just do what I did and get a BB extended warranty. It covers burn in. I hope it never happens but I have peace of mind and will use it if needed.

PSN ID: thebigkahuna1
post #5425 of 7588 Old 04-07-2014, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Doesn't need to be a plasma. Just whatever next gen replacement model they come out with which is considered just as good if not better overall pq, but with HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 support.

well considering they kinda dropped ship on the oled tech(the only thing with the potential to improve on plasma pq), I don't think Samsung's gonna make anything better than the f8500 for a long time

post #5426 of 7588 Old 04-07-2014, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Does a calibration really give much more pop to the picture? I'm just not seeing an amazing picture for what you would expect with a $3k set. My settings are as follows

Movie
Cell 20
Contrast 95
Color 47
Sharpness 0

All other options factory
Black optimizer Dark Room
HDMI black level normal
post #5427 of 7588 Old 04-07-2014, 03:14 PM

Liked: 91
Just got my f8500 delivered off the truck excited to put it up tomorrow using the Samsung ultra thin wall mount what are some of the recommended settings owners are using for this set when I install the set and get my other set tomorrow D nice is going to come here and we are going to compare the three sets I have in the house
post #5428 of 7588 Old 04-07-2014, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Does a calibration really give much more pop to the picture? I'm just not seeing an amazing picture for what you would expect with a $3k set. My settings are as follows

Movie
Cell 20
Contrast 95
Color 47
Sharpness 0

HDMI black level normal

what do you mean by 'pop'. the display is good because it makes things look like real life, not crazy bright, oversaturated, etc.

please don't take offense, I don't know your preferences or history, so just making sure this isn't an issue of being used to artificial looking displays.

I have my hdmi black level on low, what is your brightness set to?

have a look at the settings thread, and maybe try one of those calibrations to see if there's something you've got out of whack.

post #5429 of 7588 Old 04-07-2014, 04:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

Movie
Cell 20
Contrast 95
Color 47
Sharpness 0
HDMI black level normal

There are many more (actually many, many more) TV menu settings you have to do to bring out the potential of this set without doing a calibration.

FW 1119 minimum
First set to Home not Store
MJC off
Cinema Smooth ??
Try BO off or other settings
Try all the Warm 1 Warm 2 settings ETC ETC

There are 4 or so main F8500 topics - go through them & mark down what settings others are using
Something is really wrong (setting wise) for you not to be stunned by this set - it is arguably the 2nd or 3rd best panel display ever built..
But in all fairness you need a bit of work to get it the best for you

What is your input source?? DVD, BD, STB & what resolutions are you sending to the TV - 480/720/1080P/I

As always - crap in crap out

------------------------
Regards,

Dougofthenorth

Save turtles:

post #5430 of 7588 Old 04-07-2014, 04:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcoupe2003 View Post

Just got my f8500 delivered off the truck excited to put it up tomorrow using the Samsung ultra thin wall mount what are some of the recommended settings owners are using for this set when I install the set and get my other set tomorrow D nice is going to come here and we are going to compare the three sets I have in the house

Congrats

See http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475066/official-samsung-pnxxf8500-owners-thread-no-street-price-talk/5400_50#post_24580433

------------------------
Regards,

Dougofthenorth

Save turtles:

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Pn60f8500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page