Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk) - Page 187 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5581 of 7831 Old 04-13-2014, 10:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post

Ferrite cores are nonconducttive ceramic magnets that wrap around the power cables and are to stop rf interference from other devices in the house. Redmere is a form of HDMI cable with chips built into the hdmi plugs. Since they are actually powered by the device, they are much thinner with longer runs. Very thin cables and flexible.
well i have Chocolate Audioquest hdmi cables and there been between a few tv's so thinking of upgradeing to another hdmi cable and wondering what to get?

64f8500
oppo bdp-103
Denon avr 1803
Energy speakers
Energy sub
Dual recliner lazyboy
xbox 360
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5582 of 7831 Old 04-13-2014, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denniswrly View Post

well i have Chocolate Audioquest hdmi cables and there been between a few tv's so thinking of upgradeing to another hdmi cable and wondering what to get?

Monoprice sells the Redmere cables.
post #5583 of 7831 Old 04-13-2014, 10:24 PM

Liked: 38
Quote:

So what one to get ..i need 6' cable..the best mono has..smile.gif

64f8500
oppo bdp-103
Denon avr 1803
Energy speakers
Energy sub
Dual recliner lazyboy
xbox 360
post #5584 of 7831 Old 04-13-2014, 10:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by aypues View Post

I just use Amazon Basics hdmi cables and no problems whatsoever.

I have had to replace Amazon HDMI cables over the years.

Their original product was not good.  SInce then they are releasing slightly better product (labeled High Speed).

After my experiences, moving forward, I would probably not buy Amazon HDMI cable at all.

Monster?  Don't even get me started on what overpriced nonsense they sell.

BlueJeans is an excellent choice.  They make quality cable.

post #5585 of 7831 Old 04-13-2014, 11:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 277
Quote:

Quote:

Get the Monoprice Ultra Speed Redmere cables. Very thin and flexible, no weight to stress the HDMI socket, rated for 4k. Be aware that Redmere technology is directional. You MUST plug the correct ends in the direction of the signal travel (the cable has directions on it).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by aypues View Post

I just use Amazon Basics hdmi cables and no problems whatsoever.

I have had to replace Amazon HDMI cables over the years.

Their original product was not good.  SInce then they are releasing slightly better product (labeled High Speed).

After my experiences, moving forward, I would probably not buy Amazon HDMI cable at all.

Monster?  Don't even get me started on what overpriced nonsense they sell.

Yup, BlueJeans and Monoprice's Redmere cables are good and inexpensive.

Oppo's HDMI cable will double as a tow cable (thickest darned HDMI cable I've had AND it failed in about 2-3 weeks).

The Sony cables have been problem free for years (the skinny one that came with the PS3 and a flat Sony branded ribbon type that I got years ago).

I really like the skinny limp spaghetti noodle Redmere cables though. The 6' ones are ridiculously skinny and work great, and I have a 35' Redmere that is problem-free and is STILL thinner than the Oppo.

Max
post #5586 of 7831 Old 04-13-2014, 11:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbluemax1 View Post

Be aware that Redmere technology is directional. You MUST plug the correct ends in the direction of the signal travel (the cable has directions on it).

Well here's a very good point I never heard before....

...and maybe this does not apply to my situation....

I own the newer Amazon Basics High Speed HDMI cables.

One end is colored Blue.  The other Green.

No directions included in the box, but is there a correct method of attaching these cables?

post #5587 of 7831 Old 04-13-2014, 11:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:

No directions included in the box, but is there a correct method of attaching these cables?
Directional cables usually have arrows indicating the intended direction, such as these http://img2.owcnow.com/imgs/ndesc/AudioQuest/AUQHDMICHOC/AUQHDMICHOC_hero.jpg
post #5588 of 7831 Old 04-14-2014, 12:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 277
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbluemax1 View Post

Be aware that Redmere technology is directional. You MUST plug the correct ends in the direction of the signal travel (the cable has directions on it).

Not familiar with the Amazon cables but the Redmere cables are directional because the Redmere tech acts like an amplifier so there's a transmitter end and a receiver end.

Max
post #5589 of 7831 Old 04-14-2014, 01:10 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Are ferret cores necessary? Will it harm a TV not to use them? Just learned what they were and I currently don't use them.
post #5590 of 7831 Old 04-14-2014, 04:13 AM

Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by hove131 View Post

Are ferrite cores necessary? Will it harm a TV not to use them? Just learned what they were and I currently don't use them.

There is a thread AVS Forum › Video Components › Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV › Should I add a Ferrite Core to a HDMI cable? at http://www.avsforum.com/t/1461496/should-i-add-a-ferrite-core-to-a-hdmi-cable

There are only 14 posts in the thread. I think that it its worth reading the whole thread. But, no, it will not harm the TV if they are left off.

After reading the thread I installed them on F8500.
post #5591 of 7831 Old 04-14-2014, 05:55 AM

Liked: 169
They can help prevent ingress of interference if your HDMI cables are unshielded. It doesn't harm anything fitting them.
post #5592 of 7831 Old 04-14-2014, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post

the settings are saved for game mode on, and game mode off separately. you will not have to adjust anything when you switch between the two. the same is also true of switching between PC mode and normal.

I use a powered HDMI splitter to send a signal to my tv and projector, it had an extra output so I used that to send two signals to the tv(hdmi1 in regular mode, and hdmi2 in PC mode) so that I only need to switch inputs, which my harmony does automatically.

Hmm.. No HDMI sync issues with that splitter huh?

I was thinking of trying that. I had my Onkyo TX-NR3009 setup using both HDMI outs to the 8500. This way I could just switch between HDMI1 and HDMI 2 in PC mode. Currently using two of the Amazon HDMI cables from Onkyo to 8500. However, I was constantly having a problem when switching from one input on the receiver to another where the HDMI handshake was failing. Say I was playing a game or watching a laserdisc, then switch back to DirecTV. Would have this problem where the picture would show on TV, then Onkyo would get stuck in the resetting loop, where it would show a picture, then try to sync HMDI for a second, screen go black, then come back.. Rinse and repeat over and over. Would have to turn receiver off and on to reset it.

Annoying as hell, works fine if I switch back to single HDMI output. That that is annoying as well having to rename the input to PC every time I want to play a game. I wish you could rename it or switch to game mode with voice command, or have game mode not be a 9 step process to turn on.

So I was thinking of trying an HDMI splitter as well to do that, one HDMI out to dual inputs. But maybe I'll try two of these monoprice redmere cables first and see if that helps with the HDMI handshake issues before I add a splitter into the mix.

Anyone else tried doing dual HDMI outs from a receiver to the TV?
post #5593 of 7831 Old 04-14-2014, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

+1000....BLC are the only ones I would buy imho.  Keep it simply and don't overthink it.

post #5594 of 7831 Old 04-14-2014, 01:37 PM

Liked: 28
Quote:

I don't have the Amazon cables but I thought that when you bought a "2 pack" of same length cables you got a green and a blue so you could segregate them to separate sources easily. I had seen them but I hadn't purchased any. I don't believe they're green on one end and blue on the other. If they were directional I'd think it would be mentioned as a "plus"!
post #5595 of 7831 Old 04-14-2014, 01:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I am a creature of habit when it comes to this sort of product. I have been using Blue Jeans BJC Series-FE HDMI Cables since I first tried them. I have never, I mean Never, had one that did not work properly. When it is absolutley critical and I don't want to change the cable out until the equipment is replaced, this is what I use.
I have been playing around with the Monoprice RedMere cables. I have also had excellent luck with these. I don't trust them as much as the BJC's and I only use them in places where they are easy to get to and replace.

If it's not Broke I am not going to Fix it, Kinda Thing.

Nothing's Perfect So Stop Expecting It ! Glenee

post #5596 of 7831 Old 04-14-2014, 01:46 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

Redmere (and similar) technologies are really only meaningful if you're talking significant length runs (ie 25-50'+). However if you want ultraslim flexible cables they're more or less part and parcel. Think of Redmere as the 3D of thin cables, most people don't really need or use (or want) it but end up getting it anyways because they buy a product that it come baked into. At a 6' length more or less any Monoprice cable will do.

Samsung PN64F8500
Denon AVR-790
Jamo: S 40 centre channel, S 403 front satellites, and S 40 sub
OrbAudio: Mod1X rear satellites
Popcorn Hour A-200
2x Debian NAS/Media Servers - 28TB & growing
AppleTV 2nd gen
post #5597 of 7831 Old 04-14-2014, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I've been a big fan of Blue Jeans cables for a very, very long time (dating back to when I was out on the lunatic fringe of 2-channel audio (anyone else ever had Ariel 10T speakers? Fortunately, I've recovered..), but as a lunatic I liked Blue Jeans cables).

However I think I'm going to try the Redmere cables, because the placement of the HDMI inputs on the F8500 makes thin cables a lot more attractive than thick cables. And the Blue Jeans cables do seem to be quite thick (which has both it's upsides and it's downsides).

I do have right-angle adapters for the HDMI connections, but I'd like to see if I can get along without them and still not have unattractive cable slop showing.
post #5598 of 7831 Old 04-14-2014, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:

The usual setting for HDMI Cables is to follow the Direction of the Printing to figure your Data flow.
post #5599 of 7831 Old 04-15-2014, 03:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post

The usual setting for HDMI Cables is to follow the Direction of the Printing to figure your Data flow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWalker View Post

There are only 14 posts in the thread. I think that it its worth reading the whole thread. But, no, it will not harm the TV if they are left off.

After reading the thread I installed them on F8500.

HDMI Cable Directionality & Issues:

From extensive research on this, I have arrived at the following conclusions
(as I have to place cables in-wall & seal up - but will use conduit where possible)

If brand maker states/indicates directionality or has a booster - follow it
Impurities in copper can cause cable to behave like a diode or maker has installed a chip in cable

If brand maker doesn't state/indicate directionality- test it by ear/eye using trials in each direction.

Strangely, (except for "chiped" cables) makers themselves state directionality can't be measured only heard / seen

Ferrite core additions can help if there is an interference issue (RF)
For proximity induction issues, use adequate spacing apart of cables or shielding
Sparkles seen in picture display can be attributed to fault in HDMI cable's data transmission

------------------------
Regards,

Dougofthenorth

Save turtles:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5600 of 7831 Old 04-15-2014, 04:29 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowspawn View Post

I've been a big fan of Blue Jeans cables for a very, very long time (dating back to when I was out on the lunatic fringe of 2-channel audio (anyone else ever had Ariel 10T speakers? Fortunately, I've recovered..), but as a lunatic I liked Blue Jeans cables).

However I think I'm going to try the Redmere cables, because the placement of the HDMI inputs on the F8500 makes thin cables a lot more attractive than thick cables. And the Blue Jeans cables do seem to be quite thick (which has both it's upsides and it's downsides).

I do have right-angle adapters for the HDMI connections, but I'd like to see if I can get along without them and still not have unattractive cable slop showing.

The redmere cables from monoprice made a big difference for me picture wise. My picture is the cleanest it has ever been. My TV is wall mounted and the previous cables were too thick and had an awkward bend coming off the wall to the TV HDMI 1 slot. I was shocked at how lightweight and thin the redmere cables are. Very easy to maneuver behind my A/V rack.

While we're on the subject of the F8500 and cabling. Has anyone done a test on the different types of cables and their effect on input lag?

Samsung 64' F8500
Onkyo NR809 (Main)
PS4/Samsung BD5900
7.2 System with Cambridge Soundworks MC300IW (left, center,right)/Monoprice 8inch in-wall speakers(wides)/JBL AESS5-WH (surround)
Cambridge Soundworks Base Cube 15' Sub/Bic F12 Subwoofer (2)
post #5601 of 7831 Old 04-15-2014, 07:33 AM

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by rupedogg24 View Post

The redmere cables from monoprice made a big difference for me picture wise. My picture is the cleanest it has ever been. My TV is wall mounted and the previous cables were too thick and had an awkward bend coming off the wall to the TV HDMI 1 slot. I was shocked at how lightweight and thin the redmere cables are. Very easy to maneuver behind my A/V rack.

While we're on the subject of the F8500 and cabling. Has anyone done a test on the different types of cables and their effect on input lag?

Since these cables are digital, I'm very surprised to hear that people are still seeing differences as if these were analog cables. I'm sure the constructions of these cables are superior, and I'm not saying that you're not seeing the difference, but if we were to put put these cables to a double blind test, I suspect that the results would be no difference.
post #5602 of 7831 Old 04-15-2014, 07:41 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphron View Post

Since these cables are digital, I'm very surprised to hear that people are still seeing differences as if these were analog cables. I'm sure the constructions of these cables are superior, and I'm not saying that you're not seeing the difference, but if we were to put put these cables to a double blind test, I suspect that the results would be no difference.

+1 this.
post #5603 of 7831 Old 04-15-2014, 08:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 610
As long as the cables are not junk, a person would be fine. Not all $2 HDMI cables are created the same.........

Forum Sponsor // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1-866-651-0049 // \\

/
/

/

/
post #5604 of 7831 Old 04-15-2014, 08:55 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowspawn View Post

The ultra-thin cables are great for this. I've got my 64F8500 on the wall with this mount from Monoprice with my channel coming out of the wall just below the centre of the mount. According to spec it sits the back of the TV 1.8" out from the wall so there's not much room. I have a single ultraslim HDMI, toslink and cat6 network cable runnng to the input side of the tv. The ultraslim HDMI bends more than enough so that it's invisible unless you're standing right beside the tv looking for it. I just tucked it and the toslink cable between the coax antennae connector and the tv body, then used some velcro strip to tie the hdmi/toslink/network together and tensioned the bunch so there's no slack. Bob's your uncle wink.gif

Samsung PN64F8500
Denon AVR-790
Jamo: S 40 centre channel, S 403 front satellites, and S 40 sub
OrbAudio: Mod1X rear satellites
Popcorn Hour A-200
2x Debian NAS/Media Servers - 28TB & growing
AppleTV 2nd gen
post #5605 of 7831 Old 04-15-2014, 09:00 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougofthenorth View Post

There are many more (actually many, many more) TV menu settings you have to do to bring out the potential of this set without doing a calibration.

FW 1119 minimum
First set to Home not Store
MJC off
Cinema Smooth ??
Try BO off or other settings
Try all the Warm 1 Warm 2 settings ETC ETC

There are 4 or so main F8500 topics - go through them & mark down what settings others are using
Something is really wrong (setting wise) for you not to be stunned by this set - it is arguably the 2nd or 3rd best panel display ever built..
But in all fairness you need a bit of work to get it the best for you

What is your input source?? DVD, BD, STB & what resolutions are you sending to the TV - 480/720/1080P/I

As always - crap in crap out

I've used a lot of different settings in the threads and I have to say I'm not "stunned" by certain images. I would say Blu-Ray look good for the most part, but then I watch something like sports and it just looks totally colorless, dark and unappealing. I go back to my old LCD set from 5 years ago and it's far more "vibrant" (not sure if that's the right word). Sometimes changing the settings in sports from Movie to Standard helps a bit. I've done my own set of calibration using the Disney disc but still not getting that "WOW" factor I was expecting.

I've broken in the set with the slides for over 100 hours, so perhaps a professional calibration will help at this point since every panel is going to be different.
post #5606 of 7831 Old 04-15-2014, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by elonepb View Post

I've used a lot of different settings in the threads and I have to say I'm not "stunned" by certain images. I would say Blu-Ray look good for the most part, but then I watch something like sports and it just looks totally colorless, dark and unappealing. I go back to my old LCD set from 5 years ago and it's far more "vibrant" (not sure if that's the right word). Sometimes changing the settings in sports from Movie to Standard helps a bit. I've done my own set of calibration using the Disney disc but still not getting that "WOW" factor I was expecting.

I've broken in the set with the slides for over 100 hours, so perhaps a professional calibration will help at this point since every panel is going to be different.

For most people, it is hard to go from an LED to plasma. I went from plasma, to LED and back to plasma. I had them all professionally calibrated. The LED went from a "vibrant" look to a more natural look after calibration. The plasmas (Kuro, and Samsung) were much closer to standard OOTB compared to the Sharp LED I had. After calibrations, the colors are almost identical, but the blacks are much deeper on plasma. Now when I see LED tv's, whether friends, or in stores, I am reminded how garish the colors are, and unnatural OOTB they are. Greens are way to green, blues are too blue, and whites are too blue. Not to mention skin tone, which is too pink.

As far as your Samsung, set color tone to warm 1 before calibration. That is pretty close to what you should be seeing. Color is not meant to be "vibrant" unless intended by the producer. Sports is shown live with little if any enhancement, so in most cases, the grass will not be super green, skins tones will not be pink. Look at someone outdoors, that is natural skin color, and that is exactly what you should see with the athletes. And night, their skin tone should appear even duller. Even grass will appear duller at night, even with the stadium lights on.
post #5607 of 7831 Old 04-15-2014, 05:10 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I'm using some good quality braided HDMI cables ...fairly stiff though. It was difficult to arc them into the HDMI ports on the tv. I'm not sure how much you can safely bend one of these without killing PQ. Now let me know if this is normal.... At super low contrast... I notice dithering/sparkle effect...but if I turn my contrast up to normal levels its gone...normal?
post #5608 of 7831 Old 04-15-2014, 05:20 PM

Liked: 11

Tried asking in the discussion thread, maybe I will have better luck here - 

Anyone with an F8500 have a few minutes to stick the AVS HD 709 black clipping video onto a USB stick and play it? I am curious how a working set does. 

Convenient links for anyone willing: EXE or 7Zip

post #5609 of 7831 Old 04-15-2014, 06:15 PM

Liked: 169
^ Set correctly, you should see flashing from 17 and up (17 is very feint but is noticeable especially close up to the TV you'll see green sparklies).

Something definitely amiss somewhere....
post #5610 of 7831 Old 04-15-2014, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by elonepb View Post

Unless you've had your previous sets calibrated, what you are probably seeing is the difference between the "vibrant\bright" and often unnatural picture of an LCD and the more natural picture from a plasma. If you want the pop of LCD, you may need to go back to it. While the F8500 comes close, its not going to match what an LCD can do. Of course when you deal with low light scenes the Plasma will really shine with shadow detail and screen uniformity. If you go to the Dynamic mode of the F8500 and this picture is the closest to what you are used to, you may have become accustom to the over saturated colors that often are the "standard" with everyday LCD sets (Calibrated sets will look much closer to Plasma and vice versa.

I think some people go through a bit of shock when using settings posted here and elsewhere as they have been so used to an inaccurate picture that an accurate one looks "wrong". You'll often see people post that the 6500 most people strive for will look to red to people. This is often because Blue is pushed on most TVs which seems more appealing to people, until they get used to a more accurate picture then they go back and realize just how "off" things were.

Give it some time, a new set\settings take time to get used to. I would say wait at least a week without fiddling with the picture. Allow yourself to become accustom to the settings without being overly critical. If they don't work, after the week make adjustments or try new settings. While there are variations between sets so the posted settings will not always be the most accurate for your TV, it should be closer than OOTB settings generally. When I started watching Warm 2 on my old Samsung DLP, it took my a good bit of time to get used to the Warm 2 which was closest to 6500k. Now that I am used to it, besides when I have to do a reset and change from dynamic to movie, I don't notice the red "push" that I once used to. I also notice more and more when I go over peoples houses that their TVs are set to the OOTB settings and most of Dynamic which makes me cringe.

I should add that you should set the TV to something that you enjoy. If you cant enjoy the settings that are posted. or that you get from a settings disc play around until you do find something you like. In the end its your TV and you should set it to whatever you feel like smile.gif It may not be accurate and there may be drawbacks picture wise to doing this, but if your happy overall then that's all that matters.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Pn60f8500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page