Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk) - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 8278 Old 06-30-2013, 11:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I have googled but not found the answer to this question. IIRC from lurking this forum, Film Mode can only be set to Auto2 with a 1080i source (perhaps from my DCH3416 STB?) and to Cinema Smooth with a 24p source such as a BD.

Do I have that right?

If not, will someone please jump in and explain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 8278 Old 06-30-2013, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Fellow owners please help me out if you get a second. I just got back from vacation and the contractors have finished wall mounting my 60". I'm loving it but today I noticed that I might have some physical damage or manufacturers defect...or it is by design and that's where you come in. Along the bottom of my TV I notice that the front bezel and back plastic backing don't line up exactly. On my TV it almost looks like a vent or something starting about a foot from each side. The back black plastic piece is about 1/4 inch lower than the bezel. If by design it looks like it would be for air venting or something but I'm pretty sure it is just a defect. The only thing that has me questioning it is how symmetrical it is, starting from the exact spot on both sides, etc.

I'm tempted to live with it either way since everything else is working so well but maybe I'll call Samsung.

Thanks,
Jeff
post #543 of 8278 Old 06-30-2013, 01:32 PM

Not sure if I'm reading you right,but I mounted mine 2 weeks ago and when you remove the stand there are two openings that you insert 2 black plastic pieces in.
post #544 of 8278 Old 06-30-2013, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjonesx86 View Post

Fellow owners please help me out if you get a second. I just got back from vacation and the contractors have finished wall mounting my 60". I'm loving it but today I noticed that I might have some physical damage or manufacturers defect...or it is by design and that's where you come in. Along the bottom of my TV I notice that the front bezel and back plastic backing don't line up exactly. On my TV it almost looks like a vent or something starting about a foot from each side. The back black plastic piece is about 1/4 inch lower than the bezel. If by design it looks like it would be for air venting or something but I'm pretty sure it is just a defect. The only thing that has me questioning it is how symmetrical it is, starting from the exact spot on both sides, etc.

I'm tempted to live with it either way since everything else is working so well but maybe I'll call Samsung.

Thanks,
Jeff

this is part of the design, not a defect at all. relax and enjoy the set.smile.gif

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
post #545 of 8278 Old 06-30-2013, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 900
I calibrated another 64F8500 a couple days ago. This display is new (10 hours) so I did a quickie initial to give him a good picture until I do a full calibration later this summer. The TV was setup in the default Standard mode and although looked fairly good it was obviously very blue. The F8500 calibrates both well and easily. If any of you owners are inclined to learn to calibrate, this is a wonderful display to begin with because most of the controls are nearly "set and forget" - very solid. A basic software/meter bundle from ChromaPure or SpectraCal is all you need.

Once I turned off the unwanted Auto "features" it only took about 30 minutes to clean up the grayscale, gamma, and color in the Movie mode. You can see on the CIE chart below how Blue everything was to begin with, and green was very over-saturated.

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

post #546 of 8278 Old 06-30-2013, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjonesx86 View Post

On my TV it almost looks like a vent or something starting about a foot from each side. The back black plastic piece is about 1/4 inch lower than the bezel. If by design it looks like it would be for air venting or something but I'm pretty sure it is just a defect. The only thing that has me questioning it is how symmetrical it is, starting from the exact spot on both sides, etc.
Jeff

i think i understand what you're speaking of, and it is by design i think for the speakers. you are talking about the underneath area? its a sort of flange so to speak...

Samsung PN51F8500. Marantz SR5008. Oppo BDP 103D. Sony BDP S5100. Emp Tek E55TIB LR, E5CIB, E55WIB. Sennheiser Momentum. Sennheiser 598.
post #547 of 8278 Old 06-30-2013, 06:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenee View Post

Samsung is offering a Cash Back Offer to Customer's in the UK of up to 250.00 pounds depending on which model you buy. I just sent a email to Samsung Corporate telling them that the USA Customer's could use the Cash Back Offer just as much as the UK Customer.
Let's See what they Say.
They do the same here, except it is a back end rebate to dealers, then the dealers just discount the purchaser.
post #548 of 8278 Old 07-01-2013, 03:12 AM

Liked: 14
I finally got my replacement 64F8500 today here in Greece. At last no banding, audible buzzing or DSE!!!! I am so happy!!! A slight very very faint horizontal band is there but its miles better than my previous set and you cant notice it even if you look straight at it in light backround (white or blue sky etc)!!!!

My MRT hours were zero and the manufacture date is June 2013! The set had 1102 firm and did the update directly when turned on. So i have now 1103 with no pops in 2D confirmed in Hockey etc...

At last i can enjoy this great set!!!

What are the settings when playing break in slides? Full contrast and brightness or not?
post #549 of 8278 Old 07-01-2013, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polakis View Post

I finally got my replacement 64F8500 today here in Greece. At last no banding, audible buzzing or DSE!!!! I am so happy!!! A slight very very faint horizontal band is there but its miles better than my previous set and you cant notice it even if you look straight at it in light backround (white or blue sky etc)!!!!

My MRT hours were zero and the manufacture date is June 2013! The set had 1102 firm and did the update directly when turned on. So i have now 1103 with no pops in 2D confirmed in Hockey etc...

What are the settings when playing break in slides? Full contrast and brightness or not?

When you say there is no audible buzzing, could you try sitting in centre of tv with volume off?

On a side note. Is anyone able to get ARC working on this TV? I just received my new HDMI v1.4 cable and have tried all afternoon to get ARC working. if I go to Tools > Speakers, I can set it to external speakers or TV speakers but 'receiver' is greyed out. ??

I've also followed the steps on my amp and made sure ARC was turned on. Audio is working fine through optical connection
post #550 of 8278 Old 07-01-2013, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked: 541
If you have a Denon there have been some known "issues" that they (TV/receiver) don't communicate well. Take a look at surfs posts as he was having the same issues.
post #551 of 8278 Old 07-01-2013, 07:02 AM

Thanx-I'm not really sure how to pull up his posts-I threw his name in search and nothing is really coming up
post #552 of 8278 Old 07-01-2013, 07:59 AM

Hey guys how important is it to break in your TV prior to a calibration? Since Plasmas have come so far in terms of tech is it really needed to go to the 200hr point?
post #553 of 8278 Old 07-01-2013, 08:12 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berat Blakaj View Post

Hey guys how important is it to break in your TV prior to a calibration? Since Plasmas have come so far in terms of tech is it really needed to go to the 200hr point?

At the ShootOut, the calibrators all saild MORE, like 300 hours. They gave reasons, but that's the short of it.

It's an "11 out of 10" even without calibration, so don't rush it.

Added 4 July:
After reading post #2 in this thread, go to the Recommended Settings thread to find settings. Plug them in and see what you think.
post #554 of 8278 Old 07-01-2013, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantsNWarrants View Post

At the ShootOut, the calibrators all saild MORE, like 300 hours. They gave reasons, but that's the short of it.

It's an "11 out of 10" even without calibration, so don't rush it.

Thank you for the information!
post #555 of 8278 Old 07-01-2013, 09:42 AM

Does anyone notice there is a vertical yellowish line that follows the white gradient when running the scrolling function?
post #556 of 8278 Old 07-01-2013, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polakis View Post

Wow, you the lucky one... that's lucky, can you try listen to the TV by sitting exactly in the middle about 6-7 feet away? The high pitch buzz is very audible in this sitting position
post #557 of 8278 Old 07-01-2013, 09:57 AM

Liked: 14
I am sitting only in the middle and 2,8 meters away. No buzzing at all. Only if you put your ear next to the tv...
post #558 of 8278 Old 07-01-2013, 11:17 AM

So, my 14 day warranty period with BestBuy/Magnolia expires on Wednesday. After that, it's up to me to contact Samsung. I was wondering if there are any "gotchas" I should be looking out for before I keep the set (and have it wall mounted).

So far:

1. If there is no ambient noise, volume down, and a white or otherwise "busy" screen, I can hear a buzz from about 6.5' (feet) away, but nothing too crazy, and I assume that's normal.

2. I don't see any banding, I think, but I don't know what I should be looking for.

3. I haven't tinkered with the settings at all, but I've been playing movies and slideshows for about 100 hours (with the occasional Xbox game), and certainly haven't had any IR/burn in issues.

Anyway, just wondering if there is anything out there that you guys think I should be looking for just to make sure I got a good set. I'm certainly not looking for reasons to return it; frankly, other than the fact it's not a great gaming TV, I think it's otherwise amazing, and I have ZERO complaints. It just makes me nervous knowing the return period is going to end, and for such an experience chunk of machinery, I want to be sure.

I really, really appreciate it!

I like stuff.  And things.

post #559 of 8278 Old 07-01-2013, 12:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Got the New pn51F8500 hooked up today. I ran some color slides and found no dead pixels. The buzzing that others is talking about, I either don't have it or I am too Old to Hear it (most likely the later). One thing I did notice was, I have this in my office and the DVD player I hooked up to it to check for pixels and such was a older Panasonic DVD. I had it HDMI to the Arc or Video 3. The problem with this is, I think the DVD Player was old enough to not send the signal back to the Samsung. The reason I say this when watching a standard DVD the TV would go into screen saver mode even with all of it turned Off. I hooked up a Blu-Ray Player to the same Video 3 and No problems. I think the best thing to do if you have a older DVD player is too not hook it up to Video 3. Everything else is working Top Notch. The Free Wireless Keyboard Model VG-KBD2000 works like a champ.I put Duracell batteries in it and hit the Up volume key, the TV saw it and ok'd the hook up. Simple, Simple,Simple.
I am sure I will find something that is not Perfect as you always do, but in general all is good.

Nothing's Perfect So Stop Expecting It ! Glenee

post #560 of 8278 Old 07-01-2013, 01:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1200 Post(s)
Liked: 1362
Glad you're enjoying the set Glenee! Just wait until you watch some top quality Blu Rays!
post #561 of 8278 Old 07-01-2013, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
New 51F8500 owner....HAPPY...thanks to all the calibration & other info. from everyone here on AVS!!! Hard decision between Samsung & Panasonic VT, but WAF...size does matter on some things wink.gif Had to replace my Panny G15 due to a lightning strike. I really think it's a coin toss between the two. Only thing I miss is Panny"s aspect screen size of Justify or Fit watching a DVD/Blu-Ray...a rarely discussed difference for new buyers. Any suggestions to match filling screen appreciated!

My question is about audio output. These TV speakers are MUCH better than my old Panny, but I am looking for better everyday viewing without using my AVR.

Is there a setting or way to add external speakers to play the externals & TV speakers at the same time with single volume control?

THX
post #562 of 8278 Old 07-01-2013, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 19
From UNXXF8000 thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioWonder View Post

Not sure if this is old news... Free Remote for F8000 users... "NEWS: Check to see if you are eligible for a complimentary Regular (IR) TV Remote Control" Just fill out form at top of page... http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/UN46F8000BFXZA

Why only premium LED owners will get the free standard remore but not the premium plasma F8500??
post #563 of 8278 Old 07-01-2013, 07:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremola View Post

So, my 14 day warranty period with BestBuy/Magnolia expires on Wednesday. After that, it's up to me to contact Samsung. I was wondering if there are any "gotchas" I should be looking out for before I keep the set (and have it wall mounted).
If you notice you issues, you are good to go, don't make the mistake of over examining your TV. I know its the AVS way and all, but try to enjoy your set wink.gif
Ken Ross likes this.
post #564 of 8278 Old 07-01-2013, 07:56 PM

Liked: 12
Could I bother anyone for measurements of the box 60'' comes in ?
I'm thinking of going over the border to place an order and I'm not sure whether it's going to fit in Venza or Sienna.
Does it have to be transported standing up ? or Can it be at a 45 angle.
post #565 of 8278 Old 07-02-2013, 03:32 AM

Liked: 11
Delete
post #566 of 8278 Old 07-02-2013, 04:09 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumik View Post

I'm thinking of going over the border to place an order and I'm not sure whether it's going to fit in Venza or Sienna.

Look up the store in which you are going to purchase from. Email your question to them. Usually the manager will get back to you. I am in the Windsor area and have done this with SE Michigan BB's.
post #567 of 8278 Old 07-02-2013, 07:03 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:

Mine has the following dimensions:

37 1/2" Tall
17 " deep
58 1/2" Long

Hope that helps, and yes that is for the 60" model.

Phil

Samsung PN60F8500 (Calibrated and bought from Value Electronics) - My Settings
Sony BDP-S5100
Tivo HD with 1TB HDD
Tivo Series-3 with 1 TB HDD
Onkyo TX-SR606 A/V Receiver with 5.1 Onkyo speakers.
post #568 of 8278 Old 07-02-2013, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremola View Post

So far:

1. If there is no ambient noise, volume down, and a white or otherwise "busy" screen, I can hear a buzz from about 6.5' (feet) away, but nothing too crazy, and I assume that's normal.

2. I don't see any banding, I think, but I don't know what I should be looking for.

3. I haven't tinkered with the settings at all, but I've been playing movies and slideshows for about 100 hours (with the occasional Xbox game), and certainly haven't had any IR/burn in issues.

Anyway, just wondering if there is anything out there that you guys think I should be looking for just to make sure I got a good set. I'm certainly not looking for reasons to return it; frankly, other than the fact it's not a great gaming TV, I think it's otherwise amazing, and I have ZERO complaints. It just makes me nervous knowing the return period is going to end, and for such an experience chunk of machinery, I want to be sure.

I really, really appreciate it!

Mine is the reverse, if the screen is black, it buzzes louder...
post #569 of 8278 Old 07-02-2013, 09:07 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjack56 View Post

New 51F8500 owner....HAPPY...thanks to all the calibration & other info. from everyone here on AVS!!! Hard decision between Samsung & Panasonic VT, but WAF...size does matter on some things wink.gif Had to replace my Panny G15 due to a lightning strike. I really think it's a coin toss between the two. Only thing I miss is Panny"s aspect screen size of Justify or Fit watching a DVD/Blu-Ray...a rarely discussed difference for new buyers. Any suggestions to match filling screen appreciated!

THX

I think what your looking for is called screen fit on Samsung. It should be under the picture modes, aspect ratio something like that.
post #570 of 8278 Old 07-02-2013, 09:08 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

Here ya go, http://www.samsung.com/ca/consumer/tv-video/tv/plasma/PN60F8500AFXZC-spec wink.gif

Every day above ground is a good day.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Pn60f8500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page