Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk) - Page 190 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5671 of 9029 Old 04-19-2014, 08:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by igreg View Post

A friend of mine has been holding off buying plasma for many years, but since this is likely the last year of the Samsung elite plasma, he is ready to replace his failing 35" tube (Mits that still has the wood around the tube!).

However, when he went into Best Buy today to check it out for the first time, he was disappointed, saying that the set was too dim, and that it also lacked detail....this evident in particular with reference to the display Samsung H8000. In fact, he thought the new Sharp LED looked even better unless you got too close to the set. Also, when I considered buying a new Panasonic plasma at Best Buy in December, I was also disappointed in the lack of detail on the set (used THX Mode), although dimness was not a problem for me.

That being said, I know Best Buy is not the best way to assess a TV, but any suggestions to ensure that the F8500 is actually better when all you have to rely upon is a display at Best Buy? Apparently Best Buy has a no questions asked 15-day return policy, so perhaps that would be a safety net for the 8500. Or could buy fully calibrated and broken-in Samsung 8500 from Value Electronics, albeit returns would be much more difficult, and probably not possible if you just did not like the picture.

Thanks!

Not sure how the F8500 at your local BB was setup. But when you go in again, ask them for the remote. Go into the settings (under Energy) and increase the cell light to 20. Also, disable the Eco mode. Then put the TV in either Standard or the Movie mode, and see if you like it. Another thing that may help is to ask the BB guys to turn off the surrounding TVs to get a better frame of reference.

Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5672 of 9029 Old 04-19-2014, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1048 Post(s)
Liked: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by igreg View Post

A friend of mine has been holding off buying plasma for many years, but since this is likely the last year of the Samsung elite plasma, he is ready to replace his failing 35" tube (Mits that still has the wood around the tube!).

However, when he went into Best Buy today to check it out for the first time, he was disappointed, saying that the set was too dim, and that it also lacked detail....this evident in particular with reference to the display Samsung H8000. In fact, he thought the new Sharp LED looked even better unless you got too close to the set. Also, when I considered buying a new Panasonic plasma at Best Buy in December, I was also disappointed in the lack of detail on the set (used THX Mode), although dimness was not a problem for me.

That being said, I know Best Buy is not the best way to assess a TV, but any suggestions to ensure that the F8500 is actually better when all you have to rely upon is a display at Best Buy? Apparently Best Buy has a no questions asked 15-day return policy, so perhaps that would be a safety net for the 8500. Or could buy fully calibrated and broken-in Samsung 8500 from Value Electronics, albeit returns would be much more difficult, and probably not possible if you just did not like the picture.

Anyone else have the same experience, but then happy when had the set at home? Any advice I can pass onto my friend? (and for me too since I am happy with the gorgeous picture of my 2004 Panasonic 50” TH-PD7UY which was upgraded to a rating of 9 with a 10 maximum by CNET in 2013. I know its specs may not match the VT or ZT, but, according to at least one source, “The ultimate test of all plasma televisions is how well they show when they are actually tested for video quality. Forget the native pixel resolution, the built in progressive scanning converter, the astronomically unrealistic contrast ratio figure shown." Would I actually have better picture quality with the either the latest Samsung or Panasonic for 1080i content? May get the Samsung as a bedroom TV and back-up if my 10-year old Pansonic fails.

Thanks!

Well he was comparing it to LEDs which WILL be brighter...Of course when he gets home and watches in the evening\night with lights off or even dimmed the Plasma would really shine. While the F8500 will get "close" to the brightness of a LCD, it will no way match or exceed it, so if your friend is looking for that type of picture then LCD might be the best bet for them. You should remind him that you don't always watch TV in the torch modes that the TVs are usually set to on the BB showroom floor. When it gets down to it, how does your friend watch TV? Lights Off\Dim? never at night? does your friend care about the drawbacks of BOTH technologies? While Plasma is generally considered the "best" flat screen tech for critical viewing, that doesn't mean its the best for everyone. As it was previously said, have your friend ask for a remote to play with the settings and to have them turn off the surrounding LCDs if they are distracting him. Not much else to do however as everyone is different and you cant force someone to like a certain tech\picture if that's not what they want\enjoy watching...
post #5673 of 9029 Old 04-20-2014, 08:14 AM

Liked: 14
What is the latest samsung evolution kit for my samsung 64F8500?
post #5674 of 9029 Old 04-20-2014, 08:17 AM

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by polakis View Post

What is the latest samsung evolution kit for my samsung 64F8500?

There currently isn't one I believe UNLESS it would have been a product that was released in your particular "market' already and I doubt that.
post #5675 of 9029 Old 04-20-2014, 04:16 PM

Liked: 10

Returned my 2nd F8500 set today but decided against picking up a third for the reasons I listed previously.

I ran the scroll bar last night and I could see an EA Sports logo top left , sky sports news top right , bt sports bottom right and a collection of ineligible logos bottom left - topped off with a nice grid-like pattern over the center (not sure what this is from) - all whilst pixel shift was enabled running on 17 cell light 80 contrast. With that many burn-ins you would automatically assume I was at fault and careless , take this as a warning because I was as careful as I possibly could be.

I returned the set due to the excessive buzzing it produces but the above swayed me against getting a third , unfortunately the amazing picture quality isn't worth the agro of having to babysit this TV

post #5676 of 9029 Old 04-20-2014, 04:49 PM

Liked: 169
^ Sorry to hear that, but for the first 200+ hours you really should be careful and vary the content with a higher frequency than normal while the phosphors bake a bit.
What you're describing probably isn't burn in but IR, which would disappear over a short period of time.

All plasma TVs are like this OOTB. You do have to be a tickle careful at the start.
post #5677 of 9029 Old 04-20-2014, 05:19 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pieandchips View Post

^ Sorry to hear that, but for the first 200+ hours you really should be careful and vary the content with a higher frequency than normal while the phosphors bake a bit.
What you're describing probably isn't burn in but IR, which would disappear over a short period of time.

All plasma TVs are like this OOTB. You do have to be a tickle careful at the start.

I think I've learned my lesson the hard way this time but I have the Disney WOW Disc on order ready for my next set whatever that may be as I've read the pixel flipper on this disc is pretty good for eliminating burn in's.

As for the IR im fairly sure for the most part it is actually burn ins - the grid like overcast and the ea logo have been there for nearly a month with no signs of fading along with some ineligible logo , the skysports news / bt are new developments though and may just be IR. I did run the scroll bar regularly to try combat it that's why I wanted to take a few minutes to type this up and warn people that although I was careful this particular set has been a nightmare for me.

post #5678 of 9029 Old 04-20-2014, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Cell: 18, Contrast: 95, been running this panel with no reservations for over a year.... no permanent IR or burn in. I watch 4+ hour baseball games regularly.

Magnepan 1.7 LR | Magnepan CC5 center | Rythmik F15HP | Magnepan MC1 Sides | Magnepan MMG Rears | NAD T 757 | Emotiva UPA-1 mono's | Emotiva XPA-5 | Sony HW40es | Silver Ticket 120"
post #5679 of 9029 Old 04-21-2014, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Same here... I don't use pixel shift or anything either
post #5680 of 9029 Old 04-21-2014, 08:49 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Hey guys

After owning my p51F8500 for 2 weeks I finally managed to get a chance to watch Avatar in 3D over the weekend. Up until that point i'd tried the 3D from 3net on DirecTV and was very impressed with the results. However using my BDP S570 blu ray player I was a little disappointed with Avatar which was a shocker.

I found the depth in Avatar excellent, and of course the overall color etc. is fantastic. However what let me down was the "pop out" or "floating" effects in certain scenes. were poor. I know that Avatar has little of any "pop out" as it was filmed to be more "natural" and about depth, however i'm familiar enough with the movie to know certain scenes where insects, dust etc. should be floating out etc and also the "seeds from the sacred tree" that float down should also appear "out" of the screen. However at these points the front most objects appeared "blurry". In other words I found that the objects closest to me that I felt should be floating out of the screen were blurry. Everything else in the scenes were crisp and had depth. It was just the front most objects. My glasses were working, I could tell the difference between them on and off.

I know the TV is capable of the kinds of effects that are crisp and clear as i've seen them using the 3net Direct TV channel. I'm wondering if this is a Blu Ray issues. There are a few things I want to experiment with

1. I wasn't aware that my blu ray player had a screen size option, which I haven't set and have no idea what the default size is. I want to set that to see if it makes a difference

2. I want to try the same scenes with and without Cinema Smooth on. I was using Cinema Smooth over the weekend.

3. I want to try some other 3D blu rays to see if they are better

4. I had numerous problems with my and my families 3D glasses losing sync while watching the movie. The batters for those glasses, which two weeks ago reported full changer, were all reporting no battery. So I need to get new batteries for all glasses to see if that helps.

What are peoples thoughts on my observations ? Am i expecting too much?

Mark.
post #5681 of 9029 Old 04-21-2014, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymouseusf View Post

Same here... I don't use pixel shift or anything either

Ditto........(5) Plasmas in my house and family members and not one has burn in issues.

post #5682 of 9029 Old 04-21-2014, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 849 Post(s)
Liked: 936
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeuggy View Post

I think I've learned my lesson the hard way this time but I have the Disney WOW Disc on order ready for my next set whatever that may be as I've read the pixel flipper on this disc is pretty good for eliminating burn in's.

As for the IR im fairly sure for the most part it is actually burn ins - the grid like overcast and the ea logo have been there for nearly a month with no signs of fading along with some ineligible logo , the skysports news / bt are new developments though and may just be IR. I did run the scroll bar regularly to try combat it that's why I wanted to take a few minutes to type this up and warn people that although I was careful this particular set has been a nightmare for me.

we're these display units or ?

I'm a bit thrown that something could have been on screen long enough to be burned in, without you knowing what it was(ie, random grid? ineligible logo, which I assumed you meant you couldn't tell what it was)

I definitely won't say plasmas no long suffer from IR, but the f8500 is the most resistant to IR as I've had. I've said it numerous other posts, but I basically treat mine like an LCD now. was careful at first, but it didn't last. I use mine for surfing the web, word processing, and regular PC tasks all the time without issues.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #5683 of 9029 Old 04-21-2014, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 84

Mark,

As someone who has become very familiar with 3D on this display....

This display has a known problem with brightness pops.  You will probably see it if you turn off Cinema Smooth.  Will be interested to learn if you see it or not.  I bet you will turn Cinema Smooth back on.

I no longer use the glasses that came with the display.  I bought rechargeables from Amazon.  They last a long time and it's great just to be able to recharge them.  They are also much, much better quality.  You can find 'em here:

http://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-Compatible-3ACTIVE%C2%AE-Glasses-2011-14-Bluetooth/dp/B006YWCQLO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1398109680&sr=8-2&keywords=samsung+rechargeable+3d+glasses

I never lose sync with these glasses.  I hear that the ones that come with the display are prone to losing sync when they are suddenly shifted on the nose.

I don't think that there is much pop-out in Avatar.  

I would buy IMAX UNDER THE SEA 3D.  You will be amazed at that disc, particularly in chapter 3.

As for screen size?  I wouldn't fiddle with the Blu-ray player settings.  However, on your Samsung display, make sure it is set on FIT TO SIZE (not 16x9 which most people think is the correct setting)

Finally, back to 3D....

Trust me, this is the finest display when it comes to 3D.  I owned three 3D displays including the LG PX950 Panasonic ZT60.  This Samsung blows both of them away.  The brightness makes all the difference.

post #5684 of 9029 Old 04-21-2014, 02:41 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein View Post

Mark,

As someone who has become very familiar with 3D on this display....

This display has a known problem with brightness pops.  You will probably see it if you turn off Cinema Smooth.  Will be interested to learn if you see it or not.  I bet you will turn Cinema Smooth back on.

I no longer use the glasses that came with the display.  I bought rechargeables from Amazon.  They last a long time and it's great just to be able to recharge them.  They are also much, much better quality.  You can find 'em here:

http://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-Compatible-3ACTIVE%C2%AE-Glasses-2011-14-Bluetooth/dp/B006YWCQLO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1398109680&sr=8-2&keywords=samsung+rechargeable+3d+glasses

I never lose sync with these glasses.  I hear that the ones that come with the display are prone to losing sync when they are suddenly shifted on the nose.

I don't think that there is much pop-out in Avatar.  

I would buy IMAX UNDER THE SEA 3D.  You will be amazed at that disc, particularly in chapter 3.

As for screen size?  I wouldn't fiddle with the Blu-ray player settings.  However, on your Samsung display, make sure it is set on FIT TO SIZE (not 16x9 which most people think is the correct setting)

Finally, back to 3D....

Trust me, this is the finest display when it comes to 3D.  I owned three 3D displays including the LG PX950 Panasonic ZT60.  This Samsung blows both of them away.  The brightness makes all the difference.

I was about to post about those glasses as well. They are freaking awesome and so much better than the crap one that come with it.. HIGHLY recommended if you care about 3D.
Damien Inferno likes this.
post #5685 of 9029 Old 04-21-2014, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

^^as another caveat, I would add that you must use a full resolution BD 3D source, cause running SBS(the only one I've tried so far) is ridiculous. it's absolutely the worst 3D I've ever seen, and 100% unwatchable. it's almost like you don't have the glasses on at all there's so much crosstalk.

same results were achieved with the 3D glasses that came with the jvc projector, and the 3d performance on the projector(actually one of the weaknesses of the x35) is far, far cleaner and completely watchable.

the last time I mentioned the 3d performance of the f8500, several ppl chimed in that the SBS stuff didn't work nearly as well, and since 3d is less than a novelty for me, I have not purchased the necessary gear to test that out.

post #5686 of 9029 Old 04-21-2014, 05:03 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Any recommendations on setting up my dish box with this TV? Picture is absolutely awful ... I have dish set up on offair/1080i right now. Picture is soft and colors awful...whites are yellowish... Not enjoyable to watch.
post #5687 of 9029 Old 04-21-2014, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by hove131 View Post

Any recommendations on setting up my dish box with this TV? Picture is absolutely awful ... I have dish set up on offair/1080i right now. Picture is soft and colors awful...whites are yellowish... Not enjoyable to watch.

Make sure your tv's picture size is set to Screen fit or 16:9. Set Color tone in Picture options to Warm1 instead of Warm2.
post #5688 of 9029 Old 04-21-2014, 07:35 PM

Check and check... That's where I had it. Just weird skin tones and a fuzzy soft picture.
post #5689 of 9029 Old 04-21-2014, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Check and check... That's where I had it. Just weird skin tones and a fuzzy soft picture.

Can you set the Dish receiver to native instead of 1080i?
post #5690 of 9029 Old 04-21-2014, 08:13 PM

No... Options are 480..720 and 1080i
post #5691 of 9029 Old 04-21-2014, 08:13 PM

Maybe satellite and cable quality HD just isnt so great
post #5692 of 9029 Old 04-21-2014, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Maybe satellite and cable quality HD just isnt so great

I have DirecTV and the HD is better than cable. Can't speak for Dish, as I have never been a subscriber.
post #5693 of 9029 Old 04-21-2014, 08:59 PM

Liked: 38
i Put my Comcast cable in native. Question is in Native options u can click or un click 480i,720,1080,108024,108030..i leave all clicked..is that tru?
smile.gif

64f8500
oppo bdp-103
Denon avr 1803
Energy speakers
Energy sub
Dual recliner lazyboy
xbox 360
post #5694 of 9029 Old 04-22-2014, 01:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Badger View Post

Hey guys

After owning my p51F8500 for 2 weeks I finally managed to get a chance to watch Avatar in 3D over the weekend. Up until that point i'd tried the 3D from 3net on DirecTV and was very impressed with the results. However using my BDP S570 blu ray player I was a little disappointed with Avatar which was a shocker.

I found the depth in Avatar excellent, and of course the overall color etc. is fantastic. However what let me down was the "pop out" or "floating" effects in certain scenes. were poor. I know that Avatar has little of any "pop out" as it was filmed to be more "natural" and about depth, however i'm familiar enough with the movie to know certain scenes where insects, dust etc. should be floating out etc and also the "seeds from the sacred tree" that float down should also appear "out" of the screen. However at these points the front most objects appeared "blurry". In other words I found that the objects closest to me that I felt should be floating out of the screen were blurry. Everything else in the scenes were crisp and had depth. It was just the front most objects. My glasses were working, I could tell the difference between them on and off.

I know the TV is capable of the kinds of effects that are crisp and clear as i've seen them using the 3net Direct TV channel. I'm wondering if this is a Blu Ray issues. There are a few things I want to experiment with

1. I wasn't aware that my blu ray player had a screen size option, which I haven't set and have no idea what the default size is. I want to set that to see if it makes a difference

2. I want to try the same scenes with and without Cinema Smooth on. I was using Cinema Smooth over the weekend.

3. I want to try some other 3D blu rays to see if they are better

4. I had numerous problems with my and my families 3D glasses losing sync while watching the movie. The batters for those glasses, which two weeks ago reported full changer, were all reporting no battery. So I need to get new batteries for all glasses to see if that helps.

What are peoples thoughts on my observations ? Am i expecting too much?

Mark.
Don't use Avatar as your yardstick.
1) it doesn't have much popout
2) as you noticed in the few instances of popout, James Cameron deliberately chose to blur the nearfield objects. A decision which I personally dislike. His reasoning was that what applies for 2D applies for 3D as well. In this case, using the depth of field to focus the viewer's eyes where you want (i.e. blurring the foreground and background so you focus on the people who are in sharp focus). I disagree with this approach for 3D because it takes me out of the movie and kills the enhanced realism.

In real life, when I look at something, some things are in focus, some things are blurry, but I can choose what I want to focus on. It just annoys me when I try to look at something floating close to me and I can't focus on it because it's deliberately blurred.

Max
muffinmcfluffin likes this.
post #5695 of 9029 Old 04-22-2014, 05:50 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbluemax1 View Post

Don't use Avatar as your yardstick.
1) it doesn't have much popout
2) as you noticed in the few instances of popout, James Cameron deliberately chose to blur the nearfield objects. A decision which I personally dislike. His reasoning was that what applies for 2D applies for 3D as well. In this case, using the depth of field to focus the viewer's eyes where you want (i.e. blurring the foreground and background so you focus on the people who are in sharp focus). I disagree with this approach for 3D because it takes me out of the movie and kills the enhanced realism.

In real life, when I look at something, some things are in focus, some things are blurry, but I can choose what I want to focus on. It just annoys me when I try to look at something floating close to me and I can't focus on it because it's deliberately blurred.

Max

In the same vein. A 3D newbie question. I bought this TV a couple of months ago and have access to 3D material via 3D Net channel over cable and Blu Ray 3D. The 3D channel is side by side 3D and the 3D is amazing. The Blu Ray 3D is via my PS3 . I set the display settings on the PS3 and it recognizes the TV as capable of 3D so all is well there. But, the 3D I'm seeing on Blu Rays is underwhelming and not very jaw dropping as compared the the 3D Net channel . Is this to be expected?
I've tried Frozen, Hobbit 2,Thor,Gravity, All unimpressive as far as 3D goes when compared to 3d Net.
post #5696 of 9029 Old 04-22-2014, 07:48 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Has anyone had success getting DD 5.1 back from the optical port on the TV, when feeding it DirecTV (obviously with a channel thats sending DD5.1) ?

I currently only have one optical port on my old reciever and its currently being used by DirecTV. I want to use the built in Apps for Netflix etc. and want to send the sound to my receiver. However the only way I can think to do it (without buying a new receiver), is to connect the Optical port from the TV to the receiver and hope that the sound from DirecTV via HDMI, goes back out "untouched", when watching DD5.1 etc. Then when I switch to the apps obviously i'd get the Apps sound via the same optical port.

Anybody doing something similar with success?

Love to know before I rewire my setup, only to find it doesn't.

BTW: the manual suggests that the optical port WILL send something back from the HDMI inputs. It says for Digital Audio Output

"Audio Format: Selects the Digital Audio output (SPDIF) format. The available Digital Audio output (SPDIF) formats may vary depending on the input source."
post #5697 of 9029 Old 04-22-2014, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 84

Anyone complaining about what this 3D display can and cannot do....

Please heed this advice....

Buy the Imax 3D Blu-ray of Under The Sea

It will be one of the few times you will be amazed by what 3D can be.  It may be the best $20+ you spend this week.

Outside of that, Hollywood has dumbed down the format.  Directors like James Cameron are pushing for more depth than things that push outwards.

post #5698 of 9029 Old 04-22-2014, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

No... Options are 480..720 and 1080i

Might want to try 720. Some amount of the programming (depending on source) is probably 720p. Then the Dish box converts it to 1080i. Then the Samsung de-interlaces the 1080i. Less conversion is better than more.
post #5699 of 9029 Old 04-22-2014, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denniswrly View Post

i Put my Comcast cable in native. Question is in Native options u can click or un click 480i,720,1080,108024,108030..i leave all clicked..is that tru?
smile.gif

Yes
Denniswrly likes this.
post #5700 of 9029 Old 04-22-2014, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein View Post

Anyone complaining about what this 3D display can and cannot do....

Please heed this advice....

Buy the Imax 3D Blu-ray of Under The Sea

It will be one of the few times you will be amazed by what 3D can be.  It may be the best $20+ you spend this week.

Outside of that, Hollywood has dumbed down the format.  Directors like James Cameron are pushing for more depth than things that push outwards.

isn't that a good thing?

the 'omg a spear is coming right at me' moments are so annoying, and usually do nothing to make you believe what you're watching. I think the increased depth of field does a lot more to enhance the immersion

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page